Open Road Honda

Edison, NJ

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I made an appointment for 7:15am and it was confirmed by their rep, Mira. I was there on time and she was nowhere to be found. Someone else assisted with my appointment kickoff, but somewhere along the line Mira came in and took over. When I questioned the warrant on my autostart she was quick to refer me to the same rep that started my appt even though her name is written all over the paper work she handed me. I think that very unprofessional.

I also don't understand why honda sells a third party autostart that easily breaks and do not hold up when compared to the ones you can easily get at auto-image. The most annoying part is, I paid about $600 for that autostart. The thing works, but the keychain hook is broken and they seem to think that's my fault. I don't remember having such or a similar problem with my old dealership, but since I moved to this area and I started coming for service at Open Road Honda, its always one thing or the other. It mostly streams from poor customer service. Anyway, I've been with Honda for too long. Its time I move on to other great products out there.

Negative stars..... Leased 2014 Honda Odyssey and the sales rep offered 3 years free service with the lease and I called them for the first service and nobody was aware of that and they failed to honor the service. Didn't honor the commitment they made after sale. I don't recommend to anyone.

I had always been leery about dealership service centers and after my first experience here, it was only heightened. I took my 2001 Honda Accord in for a transmission overhaul because Honda issued a recall and would replace it at no cost - and it was. However, before completing the job, I received the dreaded phone call insisting I had another problem: the power steering column was cracked and was leaking fluid. It would cost upwards of $800 to repair. I declined. I decided to put fluid in and check each week to see how bad it was. Four years later and I have never had to add another drop. Some leak! And we wonder why dealerships have a bad rap. So now when Acura tells me my rear pads need replacement after only 2 years on the lease and quote it at $320, I'm certainly doubtful.

I went in on 2/3/12 for an oil change with their "express" service. First of all, this so-called "express" service is anything but; it took about an hour and 15 minutes to get an oil change. This is an ongoing problem that I have experienced every time I go in for an oil change. They will not allow me to make an appointment for an oil change and tell me just to bring my car in for express service. In what world do they live where 1+ hour equals express service?!

On top of my long wait, it was apparently the end of the day for the customer service rep. Mike, who called my name to let me know that my car was ready. He pointed me to the cashier and said my paperwork was at the window and left. Normally, they would explain if there were any problems with my car. Well, lo and behold, I look at my paperwork and there are 2 things that "require immediate attention" that were never discussed with me. Of course, the paperwork says that it was discussed. So I went back inside and asked about it. They told me Mike was gone and had another person try to explain the problems/recommendations with my car.

A bunch of new recommendations appeared since my last oil change 5,000 miles ago. Apparently, my drain plug would not torque properly, which when the guy explained it to me, he said I could complain to the manager because it likely that the mechanics were over tightening the drain plug and caused the problem. I have only gone to this dealership for the last couple of years of oil changes, so whatever the problem is, they caused it.

So, I get the run-around when I call and ask to speak to Neill, who is so busy he can't take my call. I speak with George (the assistant manager), who explains all of the things on the paperwork to me but says that he can't really speak to what is wrong with my car because he needs to speak to the service rep. He says he will speak to Mike about not discussing the issues with my car and he (George) will call me back.

This morning, I get a phone call from Mike asking me what he can help me with. I asked if he is aware of why he is calling me. He says George asked him to touch base with me and thinks that he has to explain the paperwork to me. No apology at all from him! I tell him I don't need to hear what the problem/recommendations are with my car because I already heard it. I ask him why he is calling me if he is just going to repeat everything George said. I ask to speak with George but he's "busy". So I ask to speak with Neill, but Mike transfers me directly to his voicemail. I call back a couple of times and finally get George back on the phone. He proceeds to explain the same thing to me again. I said that I am unhappy with the way that I have been treated and that Mike had no idea why he was calling me and didn't even offer an apology. I tell them that the drain plug is probably their fault and he gives me an excuse that it's normal wear and tear because my car is old (I don't consider a 2006 that old). That is also why all of these other problems are occurring because I have never had my car serviced with them (I have had my car serviced at recommended intervals with someone else because I don't trust them not to rip me off!).

He asks me exactly what I was expecting from the phone call and I tell him that they need to fix their customer service because it's terrible. I didn't even get a simple apology from Mike about leaving me hanging with car problems requiring immediate attention. George says that the problems aren't hazardous and now all of a sudden, they don't need "immediate attention". The drain plug can be "monitored" and that there are some items in the recommendations that don't have to be attended to at all! So basically, he just admitted that they are trying to rip me off!

This is not the first problem I have had with them trying to rip me off. I asked them to change my wiper blades and they initially told me it was $7 installed. When they are finished, I pay for my service and I am about to leave when some girl (forget her name) runs after me and tells me that I have to pay extra because the wiper blades on my front and rear wiper are not "genuine Honda parts". All they had to do is install new blades, not replace the entire arm (which is still a genuine Honda part). Plus, I had never even replaced my rear wiper since I bought my car so; in fact, it is a genuine Honda part. After some argument, I was able to leave, since I had already paid. What kind of company does work, has the customer pay, then asks them to come back to pay more?!

I will never ever return to this dealership for service! I'd rather go to a Toyota or some other dealership than deal with these shady, unhelpful thieves who call themselves customer service.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Open Road Honda to get new rear brakes for my 2009 Honda Accord. The brakes the were on the car before were defective. Honda was giving $150 back for the brakes but the dealer was charging over $200. Open Road Honda accepts any competitor coupon but, when I showed them Hamilton Honda's $99 brakes coupon, Adam said alright, this is good but let me just confirm it with my manager. When he went in and gave the coupon, both Adam and Mike went into the room and told him something. Then immediately Neil **, the service manager came out and said no. He said they were losing money with this coupon. They clearly stated they will accept any coupon. But, Adam and Mike told him something so he didn't accept the coupon. He wouldn't even speak to me about the coupon, he just went back in his office and refused to come back out and speak to me.

The entire service department is rude, disrespectful and just wants the customers money. After that, I went to the Sales Manager, Hasan and told him what happened. He was friendly and talked to Adam, and made the price $20 cheaper. But still I paid the money and got out of the dealer after the car had new brakes. After a couple days, I called the main Open Road Auto Group office and spoke to someone about this issue and they offered me the difference of the price I said and the coupon. After that, when I called in for service for my car, they said my family wasn't welcome at the dealer and I wasn't allowed to bring any of my cars their. So, I called Michael Morais, the COO of the company, he said if I ever step into the dealer again, they will call the police and get me arrested.

This is stupid because they didn't ban me when the actual situation happened, they banned me when I got the difference of the money. I tried to get in contact with every single president and executive of the company, but they all refuse to change their decision. I have contacted many companies such as FCC Consumer Affairs and the BBB, but this is now all up to the COO, Michael Morais. Also, they broke my front drivers seat, the headrest is lose and they didn't fix it properly the first time. Do not visit this dealer for sales or service. You are better off going to another dealer with better service. This dealer discriminates against Indian people. They want their money from service and new cars, but they do not want to give them good service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Open Road Honda?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I went to Open Road Honda last night around 7:45 pm. The salesman in the show room greeted me as soon as I walk in. I told them I have an appointment to see the used car manager about my 2006 Honda Odyssey. They showed me where to go and it is on the other side of the building.

Bu,t the experience that I have with your used car manager was very unpleasant. First, he asked me how much I wanted for my car. Of course I told him what I saw on the Blue Book, so I told him is around $15,000. Right away, he returned my car key to me and said with the price I told him, he is not interested. I told him at least he should look at my car and give me his figure. Because I insisted, then he walked out of the show room and looked at the car and copied the Vin # and checked Car fax.

After that he told me the price he will offer me is $11,000. What makes me upset is I know I can't get the same price if I sell it to a private party. I did advertise my car on Craigslist and almost sold it at $14,500, and I also took my car to a Jersey City used car dealer. He offer me $13,600. I was told by my Princeton Mercedes Car salesman that I should try my own Honda dealer. They are the ones who sold you the car and they have a used car division, may be they can give you a better offer.

Now how can the Honda Dealer used car division offer their former customer $11,000 to buy back the car that their dealership sold them before? I think it is an insult. The message that the Honda used car manager is telling their customer is "don't buy Honda car ;after you used it it isn't worth much money". I told my husband from now on we will not buy any car from this dealership.

On August 17th, 2009 my husband and I walked into Open Road Honda in Edison, NJ. We had already done all of our research regarding the new car we wished to purchase. We went through their internet sales department because of their no hassle special pricing. Over the phone, we made sure they had the exact car that we wanted, that they were participating in the C.A.R.S. government clunker program and that they would take my 2007 Honda Civic EX as a trade. This dealership was over an hour away from our house, so it wasn’t a convenient trip. When we got there, we were introduced to **, who was an internet salesman. They researched my husband’s 98 Ford Explorer and saw that it was eligible for the $4,500 government incentive. Then they took my trade to have it appraised.

Our salesman came back 45 minutes later with a paper that had $10,700 circled on it from the appraisal department. He did not show us this paper, my husband just happened to see it. He walked over to the manager’s desk with that paper and came back to us with the offer of $9500! This was the fourth dealership we had been to and every one of them had offered us $11,500! We argued and they said that that was what they valued my car at. We couldn’t believe it. They were $1000 less in their no-hassle asking price which got us in the door, but offered $2000 less for my trade! After going back and forth many times between us and one of the sales managers and not being able to get the trade value increased to $10,700, we asked to see the appraisal sheet. They both acted like they didn’t know what we were talking about. They got up and involved **, a sales manager.

They came back; they apologized stating they never saw the sheet until now and said they would give us $10,700! With that, the deal was done. We signed a purchase order with the VIN number to our new car and left a $500 deposit. We were told there was no rush to bring in our clunker and we could do so when we picked up our new vehicle. Our car was in transit to the dealership and would not be there for about 12 days. We were unable to speak with the finance manager that night since it was 11pm before we were ready for him. We were told we could do so when we picked up the car. I was uncomfortable with that, so the next day I called the dealership to get an exact APR and payment for the car. The salesman called me back with another approximate APR and said my husband was unable to be on the loan because of his credit. I told him that he had to be to be eligible for the government incentive. The clunker was in his name only and that is what the program required.

The following day, he called me back with an exact APR but again without my husband on. I stated that we would be getting a loan from another bank for the vehicle and that we would be dropping off our clunker the next day. While we were on our way to the dealership, we received a phone call from the salesman. He stated that the government was out of money for the program and it was over. We called the government’s hotline for this program and they said that was not true. We continued on our way there to dispute this. We had a signed purchase order with the Cash for Clunkers accepted on it and it was signed before the program ended. Later, we found out that the government was ending the program on Monday August 24th at midnight. The dealership was unable to rob us for thousands on the cost of this vehicle or make money off of the financing, so they chose to not accept the binding contract! We spoke with the sales manager again. He told us they would not honor the C.A.R.S. deduction. We went above him to the general manager who also said he would not honor the agreement.

We contacted the police and had them document what was happening. One officer actually told the manager that this was not right. We also called the government hotline again and another dealership we had been to. Both stated that both parties signed a binding contract and they had taken a deposit on the car. They advised us to get a lawyer and take them to court. We were told that because C.A.R.S. $4,500 was written on the contract, that we had a leg to stand on.

On our way home from the dealership, I made numerous phone calls to the dealerships we had recently visited. Some of which still participated in the program, so we had to make a hasty decision. We purchased another vehicle we are not totally happy with just so we could take advantage of the government incentive. This would not have been the case if this dealership did not back out of the original contract they signed with us or if they never signed one to begin with!

Jan. 19th, 2009 regarding my vehicle when I picked it up at your Service Department. I have no idea what kind of business you are running but today I was treated very poorly from your Service Department (Neil, your service manager - horrible person, was no help at all - did not say one word to the tech, Jon and not even a "sorry" for Neil) plus the disrespect of my car when it's in your hands.

I leased my 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 on December 3rd, 2008 and I have brought my vehicle back four times since then. See below:

1. A week I had vehicle I noticed a paint defect on the drivers side door, which need to be repainted per my request because no one from your dealership offered to have it repainted.

2. Once I got my car returned from the repainting situation, I have had trouble starting the vehicle - brought back to your Service Department and they did find a code on the drivers side door that they replace the part.

3. Once I got my car returned back, it was snowing and I put on my rear/side mirrors defroster and noticed that the drivers side mirror defroster was not working anymore. Needless to say when they replaced the part on the drivers side door they disconnected the side mirror defroster.

4. Brought my car in for service on Jan. 15th in the late afternoon and picked it up today, Jan. 19th at noon. Today was the worst experience I have had with your Service Department. When I got into my car I took noticed that they put 98 miles on my lease vehicle - THAT I DID NOT AUTHORIZED. Noticed the inside of my car was dirty and there were lollop sticks in my car and the towels (that I purchased) were all filled of dirt. This totally uncalled for especially for a customer. I had to fight for your Service Department to have my car clean.

Later I spoke to the tech, Jon that has been working my car - he told me that he took my car home (which I did not authorized) and I had asked him why my car was so dirty - he told me that his kid was in my car. How do I not know if Jon put his kid in my nephew car seat? JON HAD NO RESPECT FOR MY CAR WHEN IT WAS IN HIS HANDS. Jon should be written up for the disrespect to me and my thirty thousand dollar car. Also, how do I know that he did not beat on my vehicle when he took to his home (which I did not authorized)? Since Jon did not have my authorizing to take MY CAR to his home - I want you to confirm back in an email that you will take off 98 miles if I decided to returned the car back after my lease is up. I would never have given permission for anyone to take my car home especially if they got into an accident under my car insurance. I realize that you told me it would go under Honda's insurance but that is not the point. Just saying if Jon got into accident with my car and it had to be fixed why- would I wanted that car back.

I bought an Odyssey at 8:30 p.m. on 8th Jan 2009, Thu. The Sales person was a nice ameable person and thanked me for the business.

I took the delivery on 10th Jan, Saturday around 11:30 a.m. and found that the trunk pumps were damaged. The Sales person guaranteed that it will be replaced. While driving back in daylight I saw there was a very small chip in the windshield which can be missed.

13th Jan I went for the repair of pumps and the sales person in used car assured me if I fail inspection, he will change the car windshield.
The local service manager instead sent me to the local EZ Auto Glass to get the windshield fixed and they asked the EZ Auto Glass to bill Open Road (which shows that they accepted the defect in Odyssey). I went there after my pumps were replaced.

On Saturday Jan 17 I found that the crack was expanding so I went to Open Road with the complain.

The used car manager said "I won't replace the glass"; and "Who authorized the first repair". I explained him the incident and he went to a point where you cannot discuss. He said "You can go and have an accident and then come back saying now fix this." His sales manager was standing there quiet - he had again uttered "Go for inspection and if it fails we will replace"....To which the manager roared "I will not replace the glass, did he see that when he bought the car, that's not my responsibility".

I own a 2000 black Honda Civic. I recently noticed that there are numerous spots on the hood, trunk, and roof where the paint has come off. The spots are worn down to the base coat and it looks as though the problem is getting worse. The service manager at the dealer said that the problem was due to bird poop and that it isn't covered under my warranty. The car is only 14 months old and I've put less than 18,000 miles on it. I get the feeling that I'm going to get the run around in trying to address this problem, any advice?

My car looks aweful. It is covered under a 3 year or 36,000 mile guarantee and Honda isn't living up to it. I anticipate having to take time off from my new job to pursue this matter which is quite upsetting.

Open Road Honda Company Profile