2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5

The Nissan Frontier is a mid-size truck. Models that have been made since 2010 have a focus on safety features. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Nissan Frontier Reviews

Original review: Oct. 5, 2013

I bought a brand new (86km ) 2012 Nissan Frontier from a dealership in Southern Ontario, and loved everything about it until my check engine light came on... No big deal, disconnected the battery for 24 hours and it lasted for a few weeks... When it is on, there's ridiculous fuel consumption and no power. It takes about double the gas and I know it's not because of a problem, but from a computer preset to MAKE it do that...

So, I took it in for servicing at Nissan Timmins in Northern Ontario, the closest dealership (300km away) for a number 3 service package which included something called a 'brake inspection and servicing'. When I asked what that was about, they said, "Someone is going to take your brakes apart and oil all the 'little linkages' in them." I said at that time that I was no fool, because there's no free moving parts in a sealed free-floating brake caliper unit (Ford style), and made them promise me that someone wasn't just going to spray WD40 on them and charge me $300. They didn't top up my fluids or anything, and still they messed around with it for 4 hours when they said it would take two.

When it came to payment, they let all the locals that were there pay and leave before they would even bring my bill from the garage side of the dealership, and when I asked for a rental car, they offered me a shuttle to the 'mall' (about 2 kms away) but nowhere else (the only place you don't want to go in Timmins, btw). A week later, my 'skid control' light came on, followed a few days later by a check engine light. Got out to inspect it to find my brakes bound on and almost on burned and deep grooves worn in my rotors. I took off the worst one (front right) to find my spring hold down clips covered in grease and jammed with dirt (I drive 50% gravel roads), and my wheel studs had been sprayed as well with 2 of 6 wheel studs loose (under 30 ft/lbs).

Contacted the dealership with e-mail, still waiting for a response. In the meantime, they have bound up so badly that it is hard to keep it on the road. So tonight I just re-did the 'brake inspection' which involved washing my calipers and machining my rotors (in the forest with a generator and zip grinder, mind you) and cleaning my studs so I can get a proper torque (putting anti-cease on wheel studs is almost criminal). Thank Jesus I drive around with a box full of salvage tools, or I'd be stranded out here or face burning my brakes to death to get back to town (50km )...

It worked well when I brought it to the dealership except for a random engine code which could be anything and probably nothing with these silly computer cars. Now I have a truck which drives terribly and swerves all over the road because the stupid ABS keeps tapping my brakes to compensate for whichever one it guesses is stuck... and which gets around 5km/litre when the brakes act up. I will post Nissan Timmins's response to my issues when and if they contact me; otherwise, I'm dumping this truck as soon as I get out of the woods... If Nissan doesn't help me, I have a feeling Toyota will...

Original review: Oct. 2, 2013

Bought my 05 Nissan Frontier with 101,000 miles on it with a 5-year 100,000-mile extended warranty. 19,000 miles later, the transmission is shot!!! I have spoken with Nissan and they pretend they have never heard of any issue... I don't have all the history on this truck, but I do know the radiator was changed out at 100,000 mile. I don't know Why? With all the complaints online with these transmissions, my opinion is this ought to be taken care of by Nissan being there are SO MANY issues with the 05 transmission. This warranty will only cover $2,000 of the $5,000 transmission, which by the way is the most expensive transmission online or anywhere it seems. Why?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

Nissan has not fixed the tranny problems yet. I have a 2012 Frontier with 9000 miles on it. It has been having problems pulling out since 2 months after I bought it new. I have had it 1 year. The dealership I bought it from told me they would not touch it until it broke down on the side of the road. Another dealership fooled with it twice and said they could not find it. Then told me they preferred I go to the dealer I got it from. I called Consumer Affairs and they were no help at all. When I can this truck is going to get gone. I will never touch another Nissan. I have contacted an attorney. Hopefully I can get something done.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I have owned 4 Nissans - Altima, Maxima, Rogue, Versa and I thought there was no better brand of vehicle. I was so wrong. I just bought a 2013 Frontier, 4 door, short bed and it rides terrible. Every tiny bump and/or crack in the road is felt! My back, neck and shoulders ache if I drive it more than 50 miles. I took it back to the dealership one week later and the salesman told me "I needed to get used to it"! Two weeks after I bought it I took it back and said this was truck drove and handled like a 1940's WW II jeep and that they need to "make it right" and get me into another vehicle. I was told my payments would go up by $160.00/month! In just two weeks?? No attempt was ever made to fix the issue. I hope no one has to suffer like I did with that sales person. I will NEVER buy another Nissan and will recommend to anyone that asks to not buy a Nissan from the dealership I went to.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2013

Shortly after purchasing a used 2007 Frontier last summer I started experiencing transmission problems. Discovered the source online - radiator leaking into transmission fluid. Replaced radiator, had a transmission dip stick installed and changed out transmission fluid which didn't correct the stuttering problem. Was told to put whale oil as additive in transmission fluid. This fortunately fixed that problem. Now my rear end is noisy and am told this too is a known common problem. I am having a hard time getting a reconditioned one and they say the new ones are a crap shoot because a majority of them are defective. I will never own a Nissan product again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Frontier?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2013

2013 Nissan Frontier - The thing rides like a 1974 Kenworth... For those who have ever been on a BUMPY Dirt Road with No Shocks, Think of that times 20 and you are getting close. The Ride is Horrible, and the Bluetooth has its problems as well. I am taking it in 7-31-13 to see if they can make it better... My truck was bought May 11th 2013 So it shouldn't be like this... Highway mileage mostly, Never off road as of yet. Good power, But the Ride is Terrible...

Original review: July 12, 2013

2004 Nissan Frontier Catalytic Converter - Manufacturer Defect. My truck had 186,000, no problems. While driving home from work, the catalytic converter rusted out, debris got in the motor, ruined it, knocks, rings, cylinder walls destroyed. It was carried to certified Nissan mechanic to find this issue. I sent note to Nissan. They said to carry it to a dealer for diagnosis. Diagnosis the same, sent note back to Nissan. They said, “You are too far out of warranty, not covered.” This is known defect, nothing to do with warranty. They said we will submit for charity assistance, no go there either. So I am left with nothing to drive, no help, no nothing from Nissan. What is ironic is just before the "regional specialist" hung up, he said, “Thank you for driving Nissan." I will never own another Nissan and I encourage others not to as well.

Original review: July 12, 2013

2007 Nissan Frontier had 110.000 mls [sic] and they had recalled cars up to 80.000 [sic]. A week after they had recalled 100.00 mls; I had exceeded by 10.00. They wanted to charge me $10,000. I had the transmission stop the car because it had coolant mix inside it, which damaged all the transmission. I have spent $8,000.00 on this problem. Replaced it with a used transmission. Then it had a bad sensor that regulates the oil pressure. I had to replace it with one more. This one was $3,900.00, from Dave's Auto Wrecking. They gave me one year warranty.

I'm disappointed. I had other Nissan cars, but never had a problem like this one. No more Nissan for me; they don't take care of the warranty. And they don't recall cars for big problems like this. If only they would replace the radiator like every 100.00 mls, they would save you and big thanks!!!

Original review: June 28, 2013

My 2007 Nissan Frontier has 101,000 miles and I have problems with automatic transmission. The Nissan mechanic said that I have cooler fluid into my transmission... I was driving and I got stuck in the third gear. The check engine light came on and now from the first gear to the second, it gave a big jump. Nissan wants $5,300.00 to fix the problem. No way. I think they have to replace it for free and give a courtesy car for me to go to work. Thank you very much. No more Nissan for me. I was thinking of changing my wife's car to a Nissan, but not anymore. Also, my Nissan does not give me the mpg that they said. Thank you.

Original review: June 27, 2013

Yes, I'm just another victim of Nissan! Put my 2007 Frontier on the list of transmission failures due to known faulty parts "tranny fluid mixing with antifreeze"!

Guess what they said? $7000.00 to replace! I have 104000 miles on my truck. That's more than the trade in value! I'm buying a Toyota next and parting this price of crap out! At least I haven't heard of them screwing over the little guy! Why doesn't some agency investigate this madness???

Original review: June 19, 2013

I had to replace rear wheel bearing and seal at Dick Smith of Lexington to the tune of $1055.26 and now the tailgate and side panels are peeling horribly. I have seen a good many others around town doing same thing. Now, I have to worry about transmission crossover nightmare. What a piece of crap! You need to put the i in front of the n in the name Nissan and you have the word insane which I would have to be to buy another Nissan product. A local car dealer in Columbia advertises that if you experience it once, you will never forget it. Damn right you won't. What if all the problem Nissans showed up at once on the same day with the news media? Wouldn't it be great?

Original review: June 17, 2013

While driving on the interstate, the transmission on my 2005 Frontier with 115,000 miles, slipped out of gear and never reengaged. There were no knocks or warnings. We coasted to the side of the road and had to call a tow truck to pull us into Cookeville, TN. At the transmission shop, we were informed of the radiator leakage into the transmission causing it to fail. What's worse is the owner proceeds to tell me that they see 4 or 5 of these a month, either Pathfinders, Frontiers, or Xterras; that it is a known issue at Nissan and the repair will be around $5,000 for a rebuilt transmission. How could Nissan know about such a costly problem and not attempt to fix these for the people who trusted their products? This was my fourth and last Nissan. I will NEVER own another Nissan EVER! Nissan's head in the sand approach to customer service will be the death of the company.

Original review: June 9, 2013

2005 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab XE - Don't hold your breath waiting for Nissan to help you with anything. I am troubled to hear what you're going through, having a child that needs to get to his doctors. I have a similar issue... although I must say, don't give up. I actually got $800.00 from Nissan Assist when all 4 of my catalytic converters went out and had to purchase the O2 sensors, as well as a new muffler. Not to stop there, I've replaced the radiator, transmission, timing chain, water pump, blower motor, ECM, fuel sending unit, and that does not include the regular maintenance. There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan for the Radiator/Transmission Defect & Design Flaw. You can find that on the internet.

I have over $10,000 in repairs & I live on a budget with two children. Like I said, Nissan has only coughed up $800. This Nissan Consumer Affairs is B.S. All a smokescreen, because they don't give two cents about you, or standing behind the biggest blunder in Nissan history. My advice to you, as soon as you get it repaired, SELL IT. I'm talking from experience. Every time I've said "well, what else can go wrong", something else has gone wrong. And their dealership service advisers are just as bad. Sorry to hear about your issues, my prayers to your family. NEVER BUY A NISSAN AGAIN!

Original review: May 30, 2013

I bought my 2007 Nissan Frontier brand new with the expectation it would be similar to my old 1985 Nissan 4X4 PU, which is still on the road after 350,000 miles. I was sadly mistaken in this assumption. At about 15K miles, the fuel gauge sensor went south. At first, Nissan refused to fix it for free, but offered me money towards the repair. Luckily, they did a recall on this and I did get that fixed for free. At 62, 000 miles, the rear differential developed a major leak. They would not cover the whole cost, but offered me $1,500 towards a new differential which cost $2,500 installed. At 75,000 miles, the engine developed a high pitched whine.

I was told that it is the timing chain guides which are made out of plastic and worn out. I was quoted $1,500 at the dealership to replace. I went to Nissan and requested 100% coverage for this very common problem (which I found out). They did not offer me a dime to fix this issue. I now have 89,000 miles on the vehicle and I have been waiting to see if there will be a recall, but I think I am waiting in vain. I may have to break down and fix it. I am really angry at Nissan because this is the opposite of what I experienced on my 85 PU. At this point, I definitely will not buy another Nissan.

Original review: May 21, 2013

Nissan 2007 Frontier 4L 6sp - I purchased this vehicle new from a dealer on 06/15/07 at 35,235 miles by the original owner. Never any problems and all maintenance done as per the "owner’s manual". As of today’s date, 05/17/13, no help, won’t pass smog, and can’t drive it. I’m making still payments (7 to go). The vehicle is sitting at a Nissan dealership, and I am being told nothing is wrong with your vehicle (something smells fishy here)? I called Nissan Customer Affairs and started a "key file on 05/17/13." List of problems: 1) bad rust on roof of cab along the seams on both sides (panel was never properly prepped before robotics painted); 2) u-joint bad at rear of driveline, slop in drivetrain when using clutch (no grease, zerks present?); and 3) is a guess of why vehicle cannot be driven - electronic clock in computer set to cause random failures without setting a code or codes for diagnostic evaluation.

So long story short, program it to fail after 5 years from date of manufacturing regardless of mileage. That way the owner has to come back and then only offer help if they want to. So even if a vehicle with low miles that has been sitting will have to go to the dealership no matter what. "You have to have it reprogrammed." Forced service after sale protectors inherited from manufacture, mandatory $120.00 service fee. More to come.

Original review: May 18, 2013

I purchased a 2005 Nissan Frontier from the dealer with 9,900 miles on it. I have purchased Nissan products in the past and had nothing but great service with them – a 1998 Pathfinder with 177,000 miles and a 2001 Maxima SE with 120,000 miles; both problem free. The 2005 Frontier has been nothing but trouble. No matter what I do, the positive battery terminal is always corroding. It has been completely replaced 3 times. Four new batteries and the fuel sensor failed at 60,000 miles. I contacted Nissan and was told it was not a warranty item. The transmission failed because the coolant leaked into it, a known defect.

I was also told my mileage was too high for warranty; I travel a lot of highway miles The CD player stopped working for no reason. The HVAC control panel failed. The low tire pressure sensor is so inaccurate that it goes off whenever it is cold out. The roof rack rattles but cannot be tightened up anymore. I was a loyal Nissan customer, but not anymore; especially after hearing that so much was not on warranty even when they knew of all of these defects no matter what the mileage is. I will never purchase a Nissan product again.

Original review: May 17, 2013

Dangerous engine operation! Without indication, the engine stalls, sputters, non-functioning gas pedal, gauges show max high then low readings, check engine light flashes, and tachometer bounces up and down with engine RPMs. The truck was taken to the dealer. I was told, "You pay first! $120.00 then we tell you what is wrong!" At that time, the technician and I were standing next to the truck watching it being possessed by whatever was the cause. The dealer service advisor told me the truck is not under warranty. It has expired! The truck has 35,303 miles on it. I purchased it new on 06/15/2007 from the dealer with 2.3 miles. No one has ever touched anything under the hood! If nothing is found wrong with this truck, the dealer or Nissan will be promptly sued!

Original review: May 16, 2013

2006 Nissan Frontier SE - Back in September 2012, my catalytic converter on my driver side went bad. So I took it to the dealer and got it replaced even though they claimed it was not covered under warranty. Just this past Friday, May 10th. 2013, my SES light came on, and I had my boss bring his code reader to work. We saw that it came up with the P0420 code. We looked it up and, sure enough, the passenger side catalytic converter had gone bad.

After work I had to run a quick errand about 5 miles from work, but made it only 3 miles because I suddenly started to lose all power to the engine. I was on a very busy road so I struggled to get to the nearest, safest location, but finally got into a parking lot and called a tow truck. I asked the local Nissan dealership if they could see me that day, but they said they wouldn't be able to until Tuesday. So I said that's fine, but when I turned the truck on again, I had noticed there was smoke coming from the exhaust. This prompted me to have the vehicle checked on immediately to find out what was really going on. It turned out the catalytic converter damaged the O2 sensor when it went bad.

So I had the mechanic replace it, for an arm and a leg, and definitely more expensive than Nissan had previously charged me. The exhaust and its grayish white smoke was still happening after I got my truck back, so I took it to the local Nissan dealership and asked them if they could check on it. They took it in on Tuesday of this week, May 14th, 2013. After a few hours of waiting for their call, they called me back telling me that when the catalytic converter went bad, it sucked back into the engine and damaged the engine. They are now telling me that my warranty won't cover it, and I am going to have to fork over $9k+ to get a new engine. I don't make that much money. On top of this, this is my family's only vehicle, since we cannot afford another, and we have an autistic son that we need to take to appointments.

This experience with Nissan is disappointing to say the least. I have contacted the State Attorney General, as well as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, oh and US Nissan headquarters. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Don't let Nissan bully you around. This is caused by their faulty design, and we, as the consumers, shouldn't pay for their mistakes.

Original review: May 9, 2013

I am writing this on May 9, 2013. About a week ago, my 2007 Nissan Frontier experienced slow acceleration. I put it in 1st and drove slowly for 1/4 mile then turned off the engine. When I turned on the ignition, the gear shift was locked. I unlocked manually and tried to start. Nothing. The engine will not crank. No lights on dash. I towed it to my local mechanic who tried some electrical work. Nothing, so he thought a tranny failure put truck in failsafe. AAMCO could not start it so they could not diagnose. They towed it to Nissan. They wanted to change the tranny, too much money for a vehicle with 110,000 miles. I towed it out to another transmission place, and they first thought it was the starter! They changed the starter - nothing doing. Of course the jumpstart is not working so it’s not the battery. I’m now stuck.

Previously, the truck had stalled once on the highway at about 60,000 miles and would only drive on gear #1. I took it to Nissan Dealership. They said they couldn't find any problem with the tranny but they replaced the transmission fluid. Later at about 101K, the transmission started slipping and Nissan found that the antifreeze had leaked into the transmission. They wanted to give me $2,500 toward a $7,300 repair. They also offered to give me employee pricing on a new Frontier but I don’t want another Frontier, so I refused and instead took it to my mechanic. He put in a new radiator and flushed the transmission. Earlier at about 46,000 miles, the fuel gauge stopped working and the fuel sender was changed. Nissan refused to help at that time but later initiated a recall and compensated me for the expense. It’s been all pain with this truck which I bought "new" from a dealer with only 300 miles on it. Help.

Original review: May 5, 2013

I bought a 2007 Nissan Frontier. From the get go, the tire level light has always been on. The check engine light turned on, and I can't turn it off. The fuel gauge stopped working at 23,000 miles. I bought this vehicle because of its good looks and the four doors. It was a gigantic mistake on my part. I highly recommend against buying any Nissan product. Yes, I'm responsible for what I write, and I write that Nissan has put out defective trucks and is weaseling out of the responsibility to make things right.

Miles later, I have had transmission slippage issues. From a dead stop, it revs but doesn't accelerate. Coming to a stop and accelerating is impossible. At 40-45 transition, it stutters going up hills. I'm waiting for the transmission to crap out. I have changed out the oil, the filter, have had it flushed multiple times and the performance is the same. I called the dealer, and they said that, most likely, my issue is the coolant leaking into the transmission fluid causing damage. For a low cost of $6,800 for parts and $1,600 for labor, they'd gladly repair it for me. I am at 103,000 miles so it’s outside of the warranty. I highly recommend that everyone thinking about buying a Nissan to think twice and buy a Toyota instead. Nissan knew that there were powertrain issues with their 2007-2010 vehicles, but they refuse to recall. Instead, they have implemented this BS $3,000 deductible. Don't buy Nissan.

Original review: April 25, 2013

My 2006 Nissan Frontier, with 125,000 miles at the time, lost all power while driving on the freeway on the 4th lane. It was a scary moment when cars are flying by you and you have to merge over with no power during rush hour in the morning. I had to get towed to a shop. They found out my radiator fluid leaked into the transmission. To end the story, I was out of a car for 2 weeks and had to pay $3,800 for the repair. From what I can see on the internet, Nissan has done nothing about it. I also have the check engine light on right now with a code for the catalytic converter. I’ll never be buying a Nissan again. I hope something gets done about this.

Original review: April 22, 2013

I purchased (3) 2007 Frontiers straight from the dealer. On one of them I've had the oxygen sensor replaced, then the catalytic converter (all within 3 years, 121k miles). It was losing power and would hardly go up hills! The second one just rolled into 129k miles, has a check engine light on and throwing code for new catalytic converter! The third truck is at 130 miles, so just waiting on it. Never had bought Nissans for my business before and definitely will not again. What a headache, and not to mention causing unnecessary dents in my checkbook. We've read way too many threads with similar problems. A recall should have been issued already.

Original review: April 15, 2013

I purchased a 2008 Nissan Frontier SE three years ago. A catalytic converter failure resulted in the destruction of the engine. The vehicle only has 80,000 miles on it. I owe $3000 now for a vehicle that won't run! The pistons and rings are destroyed by debris from the catalytic converter. Nissan advises that the powertrain warranty only covers up to 60,000 miles so I am out of luck.

Original review: April 5, 2013

I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier with the radiator leaking fluid into the transmission. Nissan needs to do the right thing and recall the vehicles. This will cost them millions now but if they don't stand behind this design flaw, it will cost them billions later. Obviously, their upper management has underestimated the power of the internet bringing people together to voice their legitimate complaints. If you have a Nissan vehicle with this problem, please help yourself and the rest of us by filing a complaint with every agency or consumer affairs website you can find. Thank you.

Original review: April 1, 2013

The electric blue paint on my 2005 Nissan Frontier truck is peeling off around the roof channels and also around the inside of the bed. Now in the engine compartment and spreading up along the A pillars, it's just disappearing and going to the metal color.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2013

I found out today my transmission problem in my Frontier was caused by leaking coolant. Nissan knew about the problem but did nothing to notify me of the problem. Now they say I must pay the full amount. It's time to trade; no more Nissan.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2013

2005 Nissan Frontier electric blue paint peeling - I have gotten nothing but stonewalling and the runaround from Nissan of North America! First, they told me that there was no factory defect in the paint (which anyone who owns the same color and year of truck knows is completely false), and in my most recent conversation with the same department at Nissan, they told me that the dealership had determined that my truck had some sort of acid exposure! I told them that was purely ironic that all owners of the same year and color truck had been exposed to the same acid?! Give me a break! If you are reading this, and have access to Facebook, please subscribe to one or both of the groups "2005 Electric Blue Nissan Paint Delamination" or "Nissan Consumer complaints". Another individual and I are trying to gather enough unsatisfied consumers to push a class action lawsuit forward. If you don't have access to Facebook, you may reach me. Please, if you are or know anyone who is experiencing the same issue, please get on board this claim!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2013

2007 Nissan Frontier tranny/radiator issue as well! Lowest estimate was $4,700. I got it used at 87,000 miles and probably had the problem already, but it didn't come to our attention until after the hundred thousand mile cutoff. I'll never buy another Nissan ever!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2013

The 2008 Nissan Frontier I have, in my opinion, has a design flaw that the company will not admit to! There is a vent tube on the gas tank that is located at the rear of the truck in the frame. If you drive down dirt roads or dusty areas, this tube, the sensor and the charcoal canister is plugged. The repairs for this cost several hundred dollars and includes rerouting the vent tube to the engine compartment, where it should have been from the start? I talked to Michael at Nissan and was told that they don't know of anyone else having this problem. But if there is, they could contact Michael at 1-800-343-6913 ext ** and they might do something about it.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2013

2005 Frontier - My transmission went out because of the radiator. I did not know that they had issues with this until mine went out. Apparently they knew they were having issues for a long time. Nissan now says if you have under this much mileage, they would fix it. Well we are over this mileage. If they let us know that they had issues earlier, then we would have been in the mileage. I have spoken to several Nissan employees and they said they should fix it but can't because they have to follow their guidelines. I need help please.

Nissan Frontier Company Information