Keith Hawthorne Hyundai

Lowell, NC

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Compare Companies

Consumer Complaints and Reviews

We purchased a 2013 Ford truck used and it had some places in the paint that the dealership said that they would fix. We scheduled an appointment and left the truck there on Wednesday night. We were called on Thursday morning and wanted to know why the truck was there. We were then told that the painter had not showed up yet and didn't know what time he would be there. The dealership then called us at 12:00 and said that he had shown up and that they could not paint it because it was raining. My husband asked why and they replied "because we paint outside."

We then went to pick the truck up and when my husband got in he noticed that all his change was gone. We also purchased the insurance and extended warranty and was told that they would repair any scratches that were not over a 6 inch area. Well we were then told that what we had purchased was a fix that the weather makes. Which makes no sense at all. We were then told that they would not be able to fix the paint because of the time that had gone by - we've only had the truck ONE month. We were called by the finance company that they had gone thru and they wanted information from us that should have come from the dealership.

I called several times to speak to the GENERAL MANAGER who never seems to be in and cannot check his voicemail and return a call. THIS BY FAR IS THE WORST DEALERSHIP THAT I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. THEY LIE AND DO NOT HONOR THE THINGS THAT THEY PROMISE. I would rather deal with the devil himself than to ever buy from KEITH HAWTHORNE ever again. I'm still waiting on a call after 1 month from the general manager - if someone would tell him how to get in touch with Keith Hawthorne himself I would be ever so grateful. This dealership has several other bad reviews. I think that they need to be investigated for fraud.

I bought a new 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe on Nov. 10. Since then, it has had three engine failures. Dealer refuses to replace and provide new vehicle.

The following is an account of how terrible the service department and management at Keith Hawthorne Hyundai in Gastonia, NC is. On Thursday, July 22, I noticed that I had to depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to get the gears engaged. I told my father and he said that we would take a look on Saturday morning at the car. On Saturday, July 24, I found a small piece of metal from an O ring in the floorboard of the car. I called Keith Hawthorne Hyundai service department and explained the issue. I was directed to bring the car in right then for them to take a look.

I removed my important items from my car prior to dropping it off at the dealership for diagnosis of a clutch problem. I unplugged my radar detector and tossed the plug into the passenger floorboard. I also removed my car cell phone charge from the same location and my sun glass case from the ledge on the console. I was told that I would receive a call later that day with what they had found if they could look at it before they closed. I did get a call around 2:00 PM stating that I would need a new clutch master cylinder. The part would be ordered Monday, arrive on Tuesday, and I should get my car back on Wednesday. Did I need a loaner? I said no as I could borrow a car until then. I asked the price for this and was told $375.

On Tuesday, July 27, I called to find that the part had not come in yet. I said that I would need a loaner and would be there as soon as possible to get one. At 5:00 PM, I was at the dealership and was told that there were no loaners. A car off the lot was given to me instead. My father met me at the dealership and overheard some of the following conversation that I spoke at length with Tonya and Joseph about why the parts needing repair were "wear and tear." Why was the thermostat sensor, 13 months old, not covered under a warranty?

Joseph explained the issue of needing a coolant flush when I got the part in 2009. I was uncertain if this had been done. I asked Tonya to pull out all of my service records. She told me that she could not as she was new (6 months on the job) and would have Tom assist her. I authorized a coolant flush when the new sensor was installed. I authorized an oil change. I was left unhappy, feeling like I was treated as if I didn't know I was getting the run-around on my service issues.

On Wednesday, July 28, I called to check on my car. It was not being worked on yet, but the part was in and my car was next in line for service. On July 29, I called mid-day and was told that my car was still on the lift--no time frame for completion. At 5:03 PM, I received a call from Tonya and was told that my car was ready. I could not pick the car up prior to the dealership closing, so I was told to come Friday at my convenience. On July 30, at 5:30 PM, I returned the loaner, paid $518 for the clutch master cylinder, coolant flush, oil change, etc. When I got in my car and start the A/C, I noticed that my radar detector was unplugged because the adapter was not in and the interior glows when the car is running. I also saw where the top and side trim of my center console was melted. My car air freshener was lying on the floor mat.

I returned into the service area and asked for someone to come explain why my car was in that condition. Joseph went to inspect my car. He opened the passenger side door and sat on the door frame as my purse was now in the passenger seat. He picked up the plug and inserted it into the outlet. He then picked up the air freshener from the floorboard and turned it over to reveal black plastic melted on the freshener. Joseph then unplugged the detector. We then went into the service bay to get the manager, Tom, come to look at my car.

He also entered my car on the passenger side and sat on the frame. He plugged the radar detector as well and flipped the freshener over. The freshener had gooey black residue on the side that was lying on the floor mat. He then told me that it is common for air fresheners to chemically react with plastic and this happens a lot. I told him that I had not left the detector plugged in. I told him that this is the way I found my car. When everything is plugged in and as normal, the freshener hangs on the knot in the detector cord flush with the underside of the well where the passenger's legs go. The excess cord is curled and stuffed under the floor mat. I didn't leave anything plugged into the lighter, and nothing was plugged in when I got into my car. But during the time at the dealership, someone had to plug the detector for the melting to occur.

We went into the parts office. On the way, Tom said that it had probably happened a long time ago and I just never noticed. I told him that it may not look like it today, but I wash and clean my car every week and it was not like that the last time I cleaned my car. The exact date was Thursday, July 22, when I washed my car and wiped down the interior. He offered to have the interior guy try to fix the console. I refused to let someone try to fix my car when I had not left it that way. I requested a price on a new part.

I asked why a 4 plus month old freshener that has never done this while the car sits at my work or home, now melts at their dealership. He said it just happens. The parts manager said that the part would be $118. I requested a new part be ordered and Tom said that it would take 20 minutes to install, and he would do that for free when the part came in. We agreed to set up a time for later in the first week of August. I requested that I be called when the part came in and I would set up a time to swing by for the 20 minute install.

While on the way home, I got very emotional and pulled over because I know what I had done prior to leaving my car with the dealership, and I maintain my car to the best of my ability. I take pride in having a clean, sparkly car. I realized that the dealership knew they had damaged my vehicle and were pushing me to believe it was not their fault, but mine. I began to realize that someone had plugged the adapter in and the freshener was hanging directly on the console. So, I called and made a claim with my insurance company.

Once I got home, and was organizing my items back into my car, I took photos to indicate the "freshness" of the damage. At that time, I noticed that the shiny, gooey melted plastic was beginning to dry and harden. It then occurred to me that the damage absolutely had happened just today, most likely between test driving the car for the repairs, or when it was moved around to the entrance of the service department for pick up. I was never called regarding the console part arriving Tuesday.

On Wednesday, August 4, I called to confirm with parts that it was in, spoke with Tonya in service and set up a 9:15 August 7 for the install. On August 7th, I went to the dealership at 9:00 AM. I found Will ** and asked if there was anyone at the dealership that cared to speak with me regarding how unhappy I was with the repairs and damage. He told me to speak with Anthony, the GM. Anthony was not in, but Will would have him call me. Will suggested that I wait on the install before I spoke with Anthony. I purchased the $127 console part, canceled my 9:15 AM with Tonya in Service, and left. Mid-morning, Anthony called and asked to hear my complaints. We set up a 4:00 PM later that Saturday to discuss the issues.

I met with Anthony **, the GM of Keith Hawthorne Hyundai on Saturday, August 14. After an hour-long meeting of explaining my concerns and issues regarding the current service problems/damage and some from June 2009, I was told that I would be reimbursed for the center console part I purchased and the labor would not be charged to me. I was told to set up an appointment with the service department to fit my schedule.

Anthony also told me that he would pull my service records to review the issue of bringing the car in for the A/C not blowing cold air in June 2009 and leaving with new rear brakes with the car mileage at 56,000. He told me that if I didn't' need the rear brake, I would be reimbursed something for this issue. He tried to express that I would be made happy. He told me that he would have a meeting with Keith Hawthorne on Monday until 3:00 PM so he would follow up on all of this. Please call him and let him know when I've set up the install appointment for the console.

On Monday, August 9, I called the service department and spoke with Tonya. I set up a Saturday, August 14, 8:00 AM to bring the car in for the console installation. I called the dealership several times throughout the week to update Anthony on the appointment, but never could get him. On Friday, August 13, I called and was told that Anthony was with someone, and if Larry could help me. So, I spoke with Larry and told him that I was bringing my car in on Saturday and would need to pick up my service records Anthony told me he would get. Larry said that Anthony would not be in at 8:00 AM, but to see Larry and he would have what I needed. I told him that I would be there at 8:00 and he said that he would be there at 8:15.

On Saturday, August 14, I arrived at the service department and told Tom, the service manager, that my car was not driving like it had prior to the clutch master cylinder replacement. I felt that the car was forcing me through the gears at a higher RPM and it had not done that before the repair. Also, the pedal was making a popping sound. Tom said that he would have the service tech that owned a Tiburon to take a look since he was familiar with the model. I went to find Larry. After talking with Will ** briefly, Larry arrived. I introduced myself and Larry asked me to give him a few minutes.

Roughly 30 minutes later, Tom told me that my car was ready. He also informed me that my clutch was going out. The disks were wearing done and I would need to replace it soon. The first gear would start slipping and there was no way of knowing how long my clutch would make it. I was reimbursed for the console part and drove to the front of the dealership to find Larry. A young man at the desk told me that Larry was in a meeting for the next 30-45 minutes and I could wait. I had other appointments so I left.

I took my car to MZ Auto on Highway 274. The mechanic test drove my car and informed me that the clutch was fine except that it needed to be adjusted. He explained why the RPMS were racing in correlation to the clutch not being adjusted properly. He felt like the previous mechanic had either not done the complete job when installing the master cylinder, or had intentionally done this so my clutch would wear out quickly. He advised me to get it fixed as soon as possible before I damaged the car. I set a 3:00 PM appointment for Monday, August 16, for him to actually get under the car and see what was going on. He told me that he would also check the clutch disks and let me see the life I have left on them. This process would take about an hour to and hour and a half.

I returned to Keith Hawthorne Hyundai at 1:00 PM with my father to try and get copies of all my service records yet again. While my father tried to find Larry or a manager, I went to service to see Tom. Tom gave me a copy of that day's records and I asked for an explanation of the clutch issue. Tom drew a picture on the back of the paper to show me that he could not tell how bad my clutch was, except that he was told by the service tech who drove it that they could feel it slipping since they don't drive it daily like I do. He explained that it was a lengthy process to get into the clutch to see the disks to let me know the actual life span I had left.

I left the service department and returned to the showroom where I found my father telling Anthony how he felt I was getting the run-around because no one would return my calls or give me copies of my service records. Anthony said that he would get them right now. Larry walked by and my father asked to speak with him. My father told Larry that he feels Larry dropped the ball with me and my issues. Larry was clear in the fact that he does not drop the ball and he would get someone to get the records right now. He said that he never told me he would have the records and that is something service does.

I reminded him that he told me to see him on Saturday morning and he would have everything I needed. I also reminded him that I told him I would be there at 8:00 AM and he told me that he would not be in until 8:15. Larry left, came back, and said that he would have the records soon. Anthony brought me the copies and my father and I left.

On Monday, August 16, I took my car to MZ Auto on New Hope Rd and had the clutch looked at. It was suggested to me that the clutch had not been adjusted when the master cylinder was replaced. The mechanic adjusted it and confirmed that there was 25% life left on the clutch disk. I should need to replace the clutch at around 100,000 miles if I continue my driving pattern and maintenance. I was charged $25 for this adjustment. My car has been shifting great since a reputable, caring, and honest company fixed it. I have all of my service records available to forward to anyone who is interested.

Keith Hawthorne Hyundai Company Profile

Company Name:
Keith Hawthorne Hyundai
4712 Wilkinson Blvd
North Carolina
Postal Code: