4.8/5 (1292 ratings)

About Montway Auto Transport

Montway Auto Transport is a nationwide company offering fast and reliable vehicle and motorcycle moving services. The company ships more than 100,000 vehicles annually and offers efficient auto transportation backed by years of experience across the entire United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. Montway provides services for both individuals and businesses. Shipments are closely monitored to ensure the highest level of safety and support. Insurance coverage is included in the price of shipping, and no upfront payment is required.

Pros

• No upfront payments
  • 24/7 sales and support
  • Free insurance coverage
  • Services all 50 states

Cons

• Must contact for tracking info

Bottom Line

Montway is a leading auto transport company with affordable rates and quality customer service. You can get instant online quotes and easily book your order. Montway is open 24/7 to answer all your auto shipping questions.

Montway Auto Transport Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Montway Auto Transport?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

We have a summer home in Maine, and we ship cars back and forth from Maine to Chicago twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall. That's about 1000 miles. I've been using Van 3 for the last 10 transfers. I've been doing this for about eight years, and I used a couple of other companies as well. However, I was super frustrated with Van 3 because the cars just go missing.

I don't lose my temper very often. Car shipping causes me to lose my temper a lot. It’s just simple stuff. It must be a pretty low-margin business. They pick up other jobs and do other things, which is fine. I don't care if it's a day late. They're just very poor about giving you the status. On the other hand, my experience with Montway this one time was perfect. They showed up when they would show up. They gave me direct access to the driver, the driver called me when he was close. We agreed on a meeting place. Everything went very smoothly. The quote was right on. I have a very good experience.

Montway Auto Transport response

Shipping your car can be a stressful experience, even when things go well, and we are happy to hear that we were able to make this a smooth process for you, Jeff. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I looked at transport companies since I didn't want our daughter driving cross-country alone back to college. Montway's salespeople were obnoxious but the industry doesn't have the best reputation because of all these brokers out there fighting for your business. And these brokers are not good to deal with, whether it's Montway or some other company. The only incentive the broker has is to close the deal and they don't care about customer service as far I can tell. There's no incentive for them to give you a price that's realistic and they're just going to give you a price that is going to get you on the hook. And the pricing can be very problematic in this business because they'll try to lowball you in, then all sudden, all these other charges come up after you've committed and so on. So it's a bad brokerage experience.

Despite that, the quote that Montway gave me was very accurate. They gave me a price and in the end, that was the price I paid. But if you do any kind of research on this business, watch out because there's a lot of bait and switch that goes on. The whole transport took 10 days but the car didn't have to be there on a certain date. The driver was good and when my daughter received the car and she checked it out, it seemed fine. All in all, the brokers were typical of this industry but the actual delivery was as expected.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thank you for your review, Chris. We are glad to hear that your daughter's vehicle made it safe and sound.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Montway had a better rating, but it infuriated me that I had to pay $400 more to pick the day that I wanted to transport the vehicle. I had a schedule I had to meet. Instead of being a four-day delivery, I needed it in a single day. Another 100 bucks would’ve been fine. The quote was supposed to be 800 bucks but instead, it was $1,200. The transporter also came in the evening because they had some other stuff that he was doing. That really aggravated me. I don't care if he came at night and that would have been fine. But the delivery day was fine. The transport took a couple of days and it was perfect because we were in the house where it was gonna be delivered.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thank you for the feedback, Steve. We're sorry to hear that the pricing did not meet your expectations. Due to auto transport being a niche industry type, the window of pickup can play a large factor in pricing. In order to meet the requirements of one or two-day pick-up, we have to arrange for local trucks, storage options, and more in order to satisfy the limited window. With a more flexible window, such as our normal 5-day estimate, we are much more likely to have the vehicle loaded onto a trailer while it's on the route without interruption.

Outside of this, we're happy we could provide great service for your needs. If you have any questions or there is anything else we can assist with please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I have a couple issues that I wish did not happen. But we received our cars and everything was fine. The rep was very professional. I called three weeks to a month in advance to reserve the time and date, so that I knew exactly what they needed and what would happen because we had a certain timeline and window. I was three or four days out from the date when we knew that we would need it, and I had to start calling Montway because I wasn't hearing anything. I was like, "I wanna confirm. Are my cars gonna be picked up?" I had to call multiple times. There was a lack of follow-up as the transport got closer to the date. And then when I called, they were just like, "Oh, yeah. We don't know. We're still waiting for someone to pick up the order."

I get that's part of the process. But if there was not a certainty to me as the client, that was extremely unnerving. Because I didn't know whether I needed to go and create a plan B somewhere. I didn't know if it would work out, which ultimately, I kept calling, so they realized either, "This lady is crazy or likely to do something." Eventually, all of a sudden, they were like, "Oh, now we have a person." "Okay. Great." I understand it's not a perfect science, but with that much time in advance, they should have some ways to give some sort of certainty to the customer.

When the gentleman arrived in Arizona, we had said we would not be there until Sunday but he arrived on a Saturday. So, we had to switch up the address because we weren't there yet. I made arrangements to drop off the cars. The driver literally dropped off our cars in the middle of a median, on a busy street. It wasn't pulled off to the side. It wasn't in a parking lot. It wasn't shoulder. We weren't there so I had to send my mom who is 73 because he couldn't drive into her neighborhood, which I understand, trucks and reasons and corners or whatever. But his solution was park in the middle of the median in a road where my mom had to cross a busy street and then go back and forth three times, because we have three cars, to bring each car to her house. It was the weirdest thing.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are always striving to improve our services. We'll make sure the feedback here is provided to the appropriate teams. In auto transport, carriers work on a pretty limited schedule and it may not be possible to have final confirmation of pick-up until a day or two prior. There are also specific requirements and regulations for how trucks operate when it comes to the parking of their trucks. What is important for us is that we properly clarify these specifics with customers. Not everyone ships a car every day... we ship thousands every day. So it's our job to make sure the customer is prepared for all possibilities and that we're here to help if needed. If you have any additional questions or feedback please feel free to contact us at feedback@montway.com.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I needed to transport my vehicle for 2,088 miles. I looked into 4 companies and Montway responded to my request because I was looking for a way to transport my car right away. Their price was also very competitive and was lower that the other quotes that I got. Then, when I called and talked with them, their customer service was excellent. The gentleman who handled the transport was very nice, too. He couldn't speak much English, so it was hard to talk with him, but he understood me. But he had an 18-wheeler and I lived in an apartment, so he couldn't come into my complex. I had to drive my car out to meet him, but it was fine.

I felt kind of strange leaving my car with someone that I didn't know because he took my car back to where he had his big 18-wheeler parked. But I signed everything and it was on his clipboard, so I felt that it was legit. Then my car arrived earlier than expected and in perfect condition, so I was really happy with the whole process.

Montway Auto Transport response

We are so glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment. Thank you for your kind words, we will be sure to pass them on to JB Transport Express.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I was moving from Texas to California and I didn't want to drive my car there, so I figured I could get it transported. I looked at maybe two or three moving companies because I thought that they had different departments that could handle my packaged stuff and then my car. One or two of them had that service but it seemed like they weren't servicing me. I googled "the best car transport services" and I saw an article that highlighted at least four different car transportation companies. The article highlighted each company as being good for a different purpose depending on what’s most important to you, and Montway was one of the first listed.

I got an email after I made the order online, and I eventually got a clarification call to finalize the order. I also got a few emails after that. I got an email saying that my billing address wasn't correct. I got a call to verify the billing address and once that was finalized, the order fully went through. It was pretty good overall. And then at one point, I was trying to figure out when they would give me a date, so I called Montway to kind of clarify that, and the representative explained to me how the service works.

The transport happened in about three days. On the one hand, I was happy that it came sooner than expected. But I originally was told that it would arrive four days after pickup at the earliest. Had pickup not happened the day that it happened, I wouldn't have been there to pick up my car. I'm sure that wouldn't have been the end of the world, but I also assume it may have complicated things somewhat. I don't know if they would continue on their journey and come back to me another day or leave it somewhere. Most people like when things come earlier than expected, but I felt like if my plans were different, it could have come out differently.

I don't necessarily think this is Montway’s fault, but the article that I found highlighted Montway as one of the best if not the only car transportation services that can give you a solid date and that can allow you to choose the date that you have for pickup. So, when I filled out their order form, I chose a specific date, because I knew that I would be at the drop off location on time. I have to schedule an airport and a lot of different things around it. It wasn't until later on when I spoke to the representatives that I realized that that's more of a premium service and it costs a lot more to have the date finalized. That might also have been because of Labor Day, but it was more or less too late to finalize that date. You also can't finalize based on the weekend. I was kind of disappointed, then I realized Montway didn't say that I could specify my date.

Montway Auto Transport response

We are so glad to hear that we were able to make your transport work out, Chelsea. We encourage all our customers to do their homework and pick the best-suited company for their needs. Thank you so much for your kind review.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

We used Montway for a PCS move in the military. It was from Washington state to Texas. I went on a website that listed top transport companies, to go through for things like customer service and satisfaction and they were listed as the top one with price and customer. The sales representative that I've talked to on the phone to set it up was awesome. It was a lady and she was quick and precise, and to the point with everything and was cut-and-dry about coverage, 'cause I had a lot of questions about that. She was able to help me out quite a bit along the way and make sure I wasn't left with questions at the end of the phone call.

The quote provided was really good. It was a lot cheaper than a lot of other ones that I got quotes through. A lot of the places that you get quotes through, and then process the payment or their price for the overall shipment, change on you at the last minute, but it was the same price from start to finish and smooth sailing for the whole thing. I'm definitely gonna use Montway again for when I do PCS. I've been recommending them to a lot of people that I work with.

Montway Auto Transport response

Christopher, we are glad to hear that Julia did a great job setting expectations and providing excellent service. Thank you so much for your kind review.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I needed to move a car from another city to here. I got several quotes from different companies but Montway seemed to be the most responsive. They were very helpful and returned my calls and messages promptly. And then, the driver was very professional and got the car unloaded quickly. Everything went fine. I would recommend Montway to anybody.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thanks for the great review, Roger! So happy to hear we could provide a great experience. If there is anything else we can assist with please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

The representatives at Montway were helpful. They're very good. They did the work for me and the quote was reasonable. It wasn't cheap or too expensive. The driver was a good guy. They picked it up in Springfield one day and it was on my doorstep the next day. The car was the same condition as I left it. It's a good service. They're reliable and quick.

Montway Auto Transport response

Alan, thank you so much for your kind words. We are thrilled to hear that the carrier made your trip from Springfield a smooth one.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I purchased a new car. I did research online on various transport companies and Montway seemed to be amongst the best. The coordination was a very easy experience. They were in constant communication with me about it. For the delivery, the driver was very thorough, seemed to know what he was doing, and very courteous. I was surprised that the transport took only four days. There must have been multiple drivers in the truck and they switched driving because it was almost 3,000 miles. That’s a lot of driving every day. And then, the quote was exactly what I paid. I was very happy with the service. I would use them again should the need arise.

Montway Auto Transport response

Frank, we are so glad to hear that the carrier was able to get your vehicle to you in a timely manner. Thank you so much for your kind review, and we look forward to working with you in the future.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

We were moving a car here in Oregon to Connecticut. It was my father's car and he's no longer able to drive so I shipped it out to his grandson who just turned 16. I had another competitor that I was trying to work with but they were not responsive so I ended up going through Montway. After reading about them, I got some good vibes that they would be a good company to use. In less than 24 hours, I had a response back and in less than a week, we got the car shipped. Whereas I've been two weeks with another company and haven't heard a peep.

Everything worked out seamlessly with Montway. The car was in great order when it was delivered. We ended up paying $100 more but I was fine with it. They called me and asked if I was willing to take it or did I want them to wait to try and find somebody else. We took the quote and everything went very smooth from there. It was worth it. They were higher priced than some of the other quotes but that was why we weren’t getting anybody on the board to take the quote.

Montway Auto Transport response

Julie, we are so glad that the transport of your father's vehicle went well. Thank you for your kind review.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I just purchased a car and had Montway transport it for me. My experience with their rep was good. They were very punctual to getting something resolved. They also gave a nice quote. The delivery was right on point as they stated. The driver was good too and the vehicle was in excellent condition when it arrived.

Montway Auto Transport response

We are glad to hear that everything went smoothly, West. Thank you for your kind words, we will be sure to pass them on to Ramia Transport.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Montway's customer service was right awa. They were precise and informative. They explained everything to a tee plate. And the transport was a lot quicker than I thought it would. The driver was quick on responding. He changed scheduled time four times so I had to move my schedule around a few times. And then he got here. I ended up helping him find a place to turn around the car. But he seemed pretty high energy. I was like, "You've had some Red Bulls, haven't you?" It was late at night. He did get it there late at night, though.

And then when we were looking through the car, I noticed the back had been messed with. I called my dad and asked him if he did anything with the back. The spare tire had been moved. We don't know if it was just shifted because of the transportation or what the scenario was. The car was running perfectly well, but we drove it once. It was running perfectly fine, but maybe something shifted. But everything was fine on arrival other than that.

Montway Auto Transport response

We are thrilled to hear that everything went well, Catherine. We will be sure to speak with the carrier in regards to their scheduling, but we are glad that he was able to make it happen quickly for you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I called Montway then we made a plan. They were able to meet my requested pickup date and they delivered in Seattle a few days earlier than I expected which I liked. The initial quote and the final cost matched. The driver was communicative. They called us the day before they were going to drop off the vehicle which was helpful. Everything went smoothly and it was enjoyable working with them.

Montway Auto Transport response

Joseph, we are so glad to hear that everything went smoothly with your shipment and we were able to get your vehicle to you quickly. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Resolution response: Nov. 23, 2020

Rick in customer service went out of his way to resolve any issues that I had.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I knew about Montway online. I looked up comparable rates to two other companies. Montway had the lowest rates and with a better rating. Then picking up was easy. We met up at a shopping center. We analyzed the car and made any notes. It was pretty professional. I was happy with the rep's customer interaction. He was easy to work with and he got here in a timely manner.

The only problem I had with Montway was the quote. I got a quote from an agent and another agent was put on to my case. I told them the quote that I got originally from the agent and then the second agent said that was an outrageous quote. He talked to the manager and they couldn't beat the first quote that I was given, which was very disappointing to me because I was promised the first quote, and I found the documentation. Then the second agent said that the first agent doesn't work there anymore and that they couldn't honor the first quote. The best that they did for me was lower at about $50. Everything else was okay though.

Montway Auto Transport response

Hello Kevin, thank you for the review. We have reached out to you to discuss the pricing issue. After auditing the order in question, we felt it was best to go back and retroactively honor the original quote based on the unique situation. We pride ourselves on providing the best service possible. If we can assist with anything else, please send us an email at feedback@montway.com.

Montway Auto Transport Company Information