Dunning Toyota

Ann Arbor, MI

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH DUNNING TOYOTA, in ANN ARBOR, MI. is my STRONG SUGGESTION!! It's been a horrible experience for us!! My wife's brakes were to be done at Dunning and they came back still grinding. Then they said they had to order a shim kit, which means they didn't use a shim kit with the new brakes, or they tried using the old shim kit instead of using a new kit with new brakes, or shouldn't need a shim kit to begin with and they just screwed that up. One of the three reasons. So they ordered a new shim kit, took the car back and installed that. Car comes back, brakes still grinding. This dealership is totally incompetent and rude to their customers! They are all rude at Dunning. Feel free to hit me up on FB and I'll tell you all about the reasons not to use Dunning Toyota in Ann Arbor as my strong suggestion!

They took the heat shield off my wife's truck without her permission. After arguing with us and giving us a difficult time, they agreed they would put a new heat shield on. They called us and said the truck was ready, and did not put a new heat shield on, instead rigged up the old one! Look at this picture, can you even imagine that this would come out of a certified Toyota service department? The service manager James text this picture from his cell phone to me. They put screws and bolts to sandwich it back together!! They said the old one was bad, but not too bad they could not rig back up and re-use instead of putting a new one on!

Heat shields are mostly used to keep heat inside of car so they can do their job and not used to protect surrounding items from heat generated from car. With removing the heat shield they changed the efficiency of the car and not able to meet EPA guidelines. Huge no-no. These fines start at 25k. Show me the manufacture repair that states loose heat shields can be removed and discarded. To replace the heat shield James the manager said they would also have to replace the catalytic converter as if you do want you have to do both. Obviously that's fine with me it's their mistake. When James called me and told me the vehicle is done and that they rigged it up instead of putting on a brand-new one as told and promised, the reason was in his words "well it would be $1000 to replace the catalytic converter so we just went ahead to reuse the old one and screwed on tight".

Keep in mind this is not how Toyota installed the heat shield, and you would never expect to drive out of a Toyota dealership with the workmanship of more like a junkyard mechanic. They said our vehicle had 190,000 miles on it. I told them the amount of miles on the vehicle was irrelevant to the fact that they still took the heat shield off of the vehicle without our permission or consent which is their problem not ours.

Finally after putting me through hell they put a new one, but not after doing other horrible work to the vehicle which we'll be willing to share with anybody! And John ** is extremely unprofessional and rude to his customers in the most unacceptable ways! Yelled at my wife in front of a full room saying "You're not welcome back at the dealership, pay and get off the property, go to any other Toyota" but we are not allowed to come back to his dealership... because of their mistakes and dishonesty! Got hostile with me over the phone, I felt like I was dealing with a mechanic in somebody's backyard, not in a Toyota certified dealership! He spoke to me as if he's some hotshot tough guy at a barbecue and not a business owner with respect and appreciation for the business.

My wife had ignition changed out there, and instead of matching the key to the new ignition to the doors, they make a completely separate key way. So now my wife has 2 keys like we live back in the 80s, one for the door and one for the ignition! They could have and should have matched the keys, as three other Toyota dealerships told me, but they purposely did not! Would not have cost any different, even if it had, they never gave us the choice... Guess it's my fault to assume they would match the key so only 1 key works the locks and the ignition! Very evil tactics.

They said they would pay for the rental car while they had my wife's truck to deal with the heat shield issue, the keyway and brakes... When it was all said and done and my wife was alone in the dealership to pick up the truck, John ** came out and totally degraded her and embarrassed her in front of a full room and said he would not pay for the rental car! I got on the phone with him and told him that "you agreed to pay for the rental car which is the only reason we got it," and he said "Not my problem your problem!" He then went on to speak to her and me over the phone in a very aggressive manner and said that his loyalty is with his workers over his customers! My wife was embarrassed and degraded in front of everyone by John **. I suggest he takes anger management classes if he can't control himself when he deals with the public. #Dunning Toyota Scion

Had purchased Toyota Celica in 1995 from Dunning Toyota and salesman (married) called me at work and home for over a year, sent me cards. I wanted nothing to do with him and would not even take my car to Dunning for service. This April 2010, I wished to purchase Toyota Prius and called Dunning to make sure this guy was gone. I was talked into a Prius lease with 3 free oil changes and maintenance. The sales manager Dale, who knew I was a return customer asked who had sold me my other Toyota. I told him Frank ** and he said I will let Frank know you were in. I tried to be polite and said I wish him well because they told me his wife had died. After the purchase John **, my sales rep called and said Frank was trying to get a hold of me and the phone number he had wasn't correct. I told John not to give him my work or home numbers. That same week, Frank called me and he new the type of car I had leased, the cost etc.

I spoke with him for only a few moments. He asked me to call him when I had free time and told me he had called The University of Michigan Hospital where I worked and I was not at the number he had and had asked the directory to do a search for me! In the meantime, I began getting unknown number, unknown name calls on my phone. Maybe a dozen. Finally O answered. One evening and it was a stranger who said he wanted to purchase the PT Cruiser I had as a trade in on the Prius. I had given all my maintenance records to John ** to use for an estimate on trade in and to demonstrate how well the car had been maintained. Dunning Toyota placed all these document in the glove box of the PT Cruiser and sold it. My name, address, phone and my even one receipt had my debit card number on it. I had to close my checking, saving accounts, reestablish my bill pay with 7 companies, change my direct deposit with my employer.

I spoke with John **, the manager and he was very rude and abusive but said he would have owner Julie Dunning call, she has not. I asked that Dunning retrieve these documents and I only received 4 out of over 30 documents, demonstrating everything from oil changes to warranties on tire, etc. A problem developed with the paint on this 3 month old $27,000 car. Every time I wash it or it rains streaks of oil or deteriorating, rubber runs down from the door handles, trunk and hood hardware and the running board.

I drove to Dunning on a Friday and the Service manager told me this happens to all white cars and I he said he could clean it up that day but it would persist. I told him Dunning was going to clean that and provide free paint sealer as this was a lease vehicle and I wanted no problems when I turn this car in. I also told him about the breach with my personal information. He asked if I would wait 45 minutes until his staff returned from lunch so they could clean car and he would speak with manager John ** about sealing paint.

I left and refunded. I was motioned into the service bay then the manager asked me to pull out into the parking lot. John ** come out and interesting this particular day all staff at Dunning were wearing these red T-shirts with Toyota Service Excellence in 4 inch letters across the back. This manager and the service manager corned me against my car and John ** with arms crossed charged about 8 inches from my face and asked me what my problem was. I asked if no one had explain the paint problem to him and he said "what I've been told is you have a big mouth and you can get the ** my lot or I will call the police". I said great call the police and add fuel to Toyotas existing problems. He said ** you its done. He called the police while I waited and the police told me unfortunately he could do that. The police woman was so disgusted she said Toyota certainly is in trouble without this.

Dunning Toyota Company Profile