1.36/5
Based on 116 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Virginia/Maryland/DC

131 Merchant's Tire & Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I went to Laurel, MD Merchant's Tire at 10:22 am to 5:00 pm for alignment, but realized it will not be done by the sleeping technician, the reps at customer service were great but the technician was horrible, sleeping at the office. I have the lifetime service but with this experience I would like to cancel the plan. Work order available to show when I arrived.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I went to change my car tire and waited 3days to get the new tire. When I went to pick up the car and drove away the store agent running after my car to ask me to come back to the store. My car again had flat tire. Same one. So they did not install new tire even though I was charge for new tire. I called the police same time they took the car and put new tire. When the police came they changed the tire already so police asked me to leave. Please be careful from Merchant's in Reston VA.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I set an appointment at 9:30 p.m. on July 4th. Your website confirmed the appointment. The tires I ordered showed as being in stock. When my daughter arrived at your Woodbridge VA. location this afternoon (7/5) the tires were no longer in stock! She was also told that she needed an alignment. I won’t even go into what happened to the tires that were apparently removed from your inventory during the night of July 4th between 9 p.m. and opening this morning! The appointment was set for 2 p.m. but when she refused the alignment she was pushed to the back of the line and didn’t get the tires installed until after 4p.m.! I am a warehouse manager for Autopart International and you can expect the same treatment from the local branches of that company.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I feel like I am being robbed every time I come out here. The parts for my car today 6/30/18 was only 105.25. The labor for my car was 387.01 plus a 35.00 shop fee. 422.01 total. After the shock of the price for my car I realized as I was headed home that they couldn't even remove the glue off the windshield form the inspection sticker. I called and ask about it and they said they do not remove that. I am not going to return to this place again and I will tell everyone that I know that they should not take their car to NTB as it is called now.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I don't even know where to begin. They wasted a full week of my life, making me come back three times for a simple oil change and brake job! It turned into one of the worst experiences of my life! I cannot believe how stupid and rude their employees are! Not to mention a bunch of liars! It's almost like they had a personal vendetta against me to make me flip out-which yes, I eventually did, but I could not help it--anyone would after that crap! Breaking parts that weren't broken and telling me hours later that they were and then yelling at me because I called corporate to complain? Who does that? NEVER EVER EVER EVER USE them again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merchants Tire Auto?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I would recommend everyone I know to this location to receive the best service and customer care from all employees. They get the job done and get to you in and out in a timely manner. I truly appreciate Richard, the manager at the Alexandria Va location, he was a BLESSING to me and now a great friend. His professionalism was absolutely amazing, making sure all was well. Thank you Merchant's for having such a wonderful crew. I will definitely be back. Thank you so very much Merchant's.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I trusted Merchants to deal with my 17 year old in a decent manner and instead they chose to take advantage of him by charging $150 for an oil change ($25) plugging a tire ($25) and running a check engine diagnostic (many places charge nothing - these guys charged $100!!!). Spoke to Erik the manager and he advised that the mechanics that don't charge for running the check engine diagnostic give you nothing more than a code and no explanation. REALLY ERIK?Come on, I am not a 17 year old kid who's going to believe that nonsense.

He compounded the insult by saying "look he signed to pay so he knew what the cost was". So, a trusting kid believed the manager - a person in authority. Shame on you. I'd strongly recommend that you all read the steady stream of bad reviews and waive off of this place. His flat tire needed to be fixed otherwise I'd have done the same. Now I wish I'd waited. I have a kid whose confidence is shaken as a result of being ripped off, and I am about $100 lighter in the wallet. AVOID these guys.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Day 1: Checked in Gloucester, VA Merchant's Tire at 07:18 AM, August 25, 2017, for the annual state inspection on my 1997 Toyota 4 Runner. I knew that I would require at least one tire, and was prepared to purchase up to 4 tires because all tires were substantially worn, and I preferred Cooper tire brand. Result: Merchant's informed me that to pass inspection, I required 2 tires and was given a quote for two tires (not Coopers) and the amount was nearly $400.00. I asked for their price on Cooper's. They said they were having a special on Cooper's, "B2G2 FREE PLUS $75 CITI MIR" (Buy 2 Get 2 ($193.98) with the purchase of the Value Installation Package ($278.94) and $75 Rebate if you purchase over $500 using a Merchant's credit card (which I do not have or want). My total bill would be $507.53 (which included the state sales tax and "shop supplies" so for an extra $125.00 (+/-), I would have 4 matching tires.

I asked them to proceed with the installation and left their facility for other business to attend to. After 4:00 PM, I received a call that they ran into a difficulty during the alignment service (part of Value Installation). I returned to Merchant's approximately 6:00 PM and was told that on the vehicle left front, I would require one outer (now broken) and inner tie rod (worn) and that would increase my cost (I believe they said around $400 additional). What happened? Mechanic stated outer tie rod was rusted badly, and in loosening the left tie rod nut, the rod broke.

The vehicle was no longer drivable, and if I did not have them perform the repairs on site, the vehicle would require me to have it towed off the premise. Bottom line: Fix it quick, use a bigger hammer and wrench! Am I now paying for the mechanic's effort to get the job done fast! They located new replacement parts at O'Reilly's Auto Parts store. End of Merchant's business day. I researched O'Reilly's parts cost: Approx $32.00 each part.

Day Two: I arrive at Merchant's approx. 07:20 AM. The new cost estimate shows each part cost at approx. $68.00 each. I asked why the difference. "Answer: Their corporate policy states all parts must be acquired by them and prices are established by them. If I have a complaint, take it up with "corporate." I told Merchant's to only perform the least costly repair... Replace the broken part (towing vehicle out would have cost me more)... I have repaired vehicle suspension parts during my years as a do-it-yourself person if you want the work done right... Tie rods, control arms, sway bars, etc., in the past on different vehicles, when time permitted. I will personally inspect and if necessary repair the worn inner tie rod. What appeared to be a mechanic applying excessive torque on the tie rod cost me $217.41 extra.

This is what I believe to be Merchant's position: In the course of repair work, when something breaks, it is always the customer who must accept their decisions: Pay for the breakage: Their part(s) cost (100% markup), pay their labor rates ($113.00/hour), and if they have a dispute with possible negligence by the mechanic(s), take it up with "corporate", whoever they are. Good Business Practices: (1) Use customer purchased new parts if provided. (2) Allow the customer to respond on site to potential mechanic errors and adjust business charges to be commensurate with past patronage. Allow the position that "sometimes, the customer is RIGHT." I've use the Gloucester Merchant's Tire and Auto several times in the past. No more recommendations or patronage from me. In this small community, word will get around.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I was very pleased with Mr. ** at the front desk and Chris the mechanic. It was close to closing, so I was the last person to come in. ** was nice enough to take my car. Chris the mechanic was very fast with my car and I was out in 20 minutes or less. Thank God I came to this shop today! I also appreciate ** and Chris for their great service.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

On August 9, 2017, I visited the Merchant's Tire Shop on Dale Blvd. in Dale City, Va. I went there to discuss several tire brands I was looking to purchase and the cost. I received four quotes. The next day I return to the shop and made an appointment for the following Tuesday (8-15-17) to have 4 tires install on my car. I researched the tires, checked reviews and selected the Sumitomo 225R45R18. Today, when I went to have the tires installed I was told the shop only had 2 tires on hand. The shop employee informed me that he was going to give me Continental Tires, that were comparable (better tire for my inconvenience/same price). I'm sure he meant well, but I did not go home and research tires for someone to inform me upon my arrival for an 8 AM appointment that I would be receiving a different brand.

Although I accepted the tires, while sitting in the waiting room I am researching the tires, calling friends trying to determine if these are in fact good tires for driving in wet/snowy conditions. Coupled with the fact it took 3 hours for the installation. When I arrived several bays were emptied, three customers came in after and left before me (one guy came in 90 after my arrival and had a tire replaced before me). We both agreed my wait was ridiculous. I am giving 2 stars only because I believe the person who checked me in was trying to accommodate my scheduled appointment, but nothing else about my experience was good. Sitting there without anyone telling me the status of my vehicle and the only reason I got any attention is because I had to ask what was going on after being told upon arrival it would be about an hour and a half.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I went there just to change a tire on a rim (just came from Mercedes dealer and they said merchant a little cheaper). Boy I didn't know they mean cheap. The rep tried to scam me saying I needed brakes so I called the Mercedes dealer in front of him and he lied right to face saying he didn't mean to say brakes. Please do not let merchant scam you. If you running to a manager with this name at merchant run. (Tony ** a real piece of **).

Original review: May 28, 2017

Made an appt. for 12:30. Was running late so I called. I was told my car would be ready @4:00. Call back to see if everything was running on time. I was told yes. I get up there, the car had not been touch. I asked for corporate no. I was basically told me so many words. He was the boss.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Called and made an appt. on Sunday evening, I was scheduled for Feb. 1, 2017 @ 12pm on that Monday. Talked to a female - she was the one that scheduled me. Got there Monday right at 12pm... walked in told them I had an appt at 12pm. Some ** guy came out and said "It didn't go through the system." I replied "it had better be in there. I was suppose to get an oil change, tire rotation and a front end alignment." The ** man said "I don't have time for you today. I have a rush job." Well I had driven 45 mins from where I live just for them to tell me that. 45 mins down to Christiansburg and 45 mins back, they told me to come back that night at 6 pm. No way... After I get my appt again, will never go there again... I told them they should have called me. Very bad customer service.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Bought tires for my jeep at a cost with 100 rebate, 7/27/16. Still haven't received it. Right after that, bought 4 tires for my wife's Honda. No rebate yet. Here's the real story. I was on the way to Md on 495 beltway several weeks after buying the Cooper tires for my jeep. Had a blowout. An ** stopped to help out. Then a ** stopped to help. (WHERE WERE THE ** GUYS!) I will return that favor sometime... I was told by the headquarters I'd have to go to their lawyers to get a new tire. I took this to believe I'd have to get a lawyer to do so if I had any chance to get a new tire. I had a warranty. I will never ever do business with this company again. Watch your back !!! if you do so.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Called Merchant Tire to make an appointment to get a balance and alignment. They gave me an appointment for the next day at 11:00 AM. I arrived on time to find the manager complaining about his job. I should have known that was a sign to get out of there quick. Left my car to get service at 11:00. And a young man called me at 4:30 to tell me his mechanic called in sick. It took them five hours to let me know this. I could've taken my car somewhere else if they would've let me know early. A whole day wasted because of Merchant Tires in Lanham, Maryland.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

Slow, expensive, sloppy workmanship. You Get all 3! Recent trip to get 4 tires and an oil change ended up taking almost 3 days to complete. They stripped the oil pan plug and it took a day for them to get a replacement. Two of the tires needed to be rebalanced within a month. Thank goodness this was a work vehicle and not my own. I will never go back for any reason.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

2:30 PM, Sunday, 18 Sept. I called Merchant Tires to set up an appointment to repair a flat tire for Monday, 19 Sept., at 4:30 PM. The phone operator confirmed I had an appointment. Monday I show up and I am told I have no appointment. They assured me I will be taken care of. It's 2 hours later and I am still waiting for my tire to be fixed.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

It was inspection time and I needed tires. I'm new to the area and decided to give Merchant's Tire on Virginia Beach Blvd a try because they were close to home. Bought tires and got an inspection. The inspector said although he could smell gas, he couldn't see a leak anywhere. They wanted to charge me $200 dollars just to remove my gas tank to see if they could find what was wrong and that the $200 dollars wouldn't include any type of fix. I explained that I had spilled a gas can in my trunk a few weeks before and gas had gotten dumped all over my tool bag in there and I was sure that was what they were smelling. I could tell the guy at the counter was trying to squeeze me for unrequired fixes. They also said the strap that holds my battery in needed to be replaced and they wanted to overcharge me for that as well.

I told them I would get that done on my own (the part was only $4 at the auto parts store). They handed me my paperwork and noticed that instead of writing that I needed a battery strap. They wrote it failed because of the brakes. Okay so... got the strap, got rid of the gas smell and now I have returned twice only to hear that the guy that does inspections is not in. So if you go there, prepare to be bled dry, and if you don't let them do what they want and get work done elsewhere or on your own they just say the inspector isn't in. I highly recommend going anywhere else!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

Watch out for the store on Woodfield Rd in Gaithersburg, MD. If I could, I would give them 1,000 stars NEGATIVE to show my dissatisfaction. Took my car for oil change, tire rotation and top off fluids. After just 2 months there was an alert light showing oil life was 15% (I had not even reached 2,000 miles yet) and the reservoir for the windshield fluid was empty. I like to change the oil every 3,000 miles. They must have seen the oil was still ok. Needless to say, they did not change the oil and not even take a look at the level of windshield fluid. I was charged for a work they did not do. Had the next oil changed at a gas station. I will NEVER go to Merchants again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Had an electrical issue. Battery dead (AAA roadside diagnostics). Jumped and drove straight to Merchant's Tire Store #409, 5222 Indian River Rd, Virginia Beach, VA. Diagnostic was that Alternator had gone bad (5 year old rebuilt unit), and battery was shot (also 5 years old). Meanwhile, had to take my wife's car to work after taking her to her job. Told Merchant's to replace both; that was done, along with serpentine belt (98,800 miles of wear on it; replace while already off). Life is good, right?

A week later, intermittent Battery light on the Instrument Panel. Took car back, left it for a day of troubleshooting. Could not recreate. Said Alternator, Battery numbers were showing good. Drove out of parking lot and had 4 repeat Battery lights within 8 blocks; captured the last 3 on Cell Phone camera! Returned car, left again for a 2nd day's troubleshooting by a different mechanic. Still nothing found, although the new battery was changed out since it "might have a bad post". Waited for change out to take place. Battery light continued to light up (more often, longer periods) over that weekend. Dropped car off at Dealer on Monday morning for their diagnostic. No appointment, and so it took two days to get car back. (Now without car for over 4.5 days in a 2 week period. Even had to rent a car for 24 hours for a couldn't-miss meeting 45 miles away.)

Dealer's diagnostic was that the battery light lit up when the alternator was providing low voltage output. Told this to Merchants, and was told "as a dealer, they may have some diagnostic systems we don't have". Paid dealer for their diagnosis, returned to Merchant's for another couple hours of waiting while the alternator was replaced. Overheard mechanic telling the manager that they needed to use a new Motorcraft alternator, not a rebuild, as there was a documented issue with the rebuilds in Ford (and my car is a Ford Focus). The manager (at first) did not agree with the mechanic, but I am told I do have a new (non-Motorcraft) alternator now.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

One on the worst experiences I've had purchasing new tires. I had an appointment. I showed up early and was told a completion time of just over an hour. It took them twice as long to perform the work. After a short drive I noticed the tires were out of balance. Three of the four tires were incorrectly balanced. Three more hours later I made it out of there never to return. The worst part is there was no apologies no words of apathy of any kind.

Original review: July 14, 2016

Oil change and tire rotation. They didn't rotate the tires as I was warned by my friend and neighbor. This is what they did to him. I marked one tire and showed the manager. He apologized and had them rotated. Went for an inspection once, actually my wife. They tried to sell her new tires and a $400.00 brake job. Neither was remotely necessary. I will never go there again. Period.

Original review: July 6, 2016

Absolutely lied to my wife's face. Got an oil change and the car was leaking oil afterwards (straight away). We took it back and they said it was the oil pressure sensor and adapter. We took it elsewhere and turns out they had pinched the oil gasket and over tightened the oil filter.

Original review: June 27, 2016

Came in to get inspection for my car. It took them 2 hours to just get my car in. There were very limited cars in their bays. The inspector brought my car in, and I watched my car sit there while he worked on another car. The service here at the Stafford store is horrible, and customer service is the same. Merchants then wanted me to spend unnecessary money to fix my car of issues that was minor repairs. On total I spent 4 hours for something on a Monday. That really should of took 1/4 of that time. Very disappointed, and now know to use another brand. If you know better you should too!!!

Original review: May 25, 2016

DO NOT USE THIS STORE FOR ANYTHING!!! The concept of customer service, listening to the customer or the customer is always right is ABSENT from the staff. Find a new location and stay away from here. Scheduled online appointment, after speaking with staff, car sat for 6+ hours until I walked in the door. Stay away.

Original review: April 28, 2016

I had made an appointment and they set it for the wrong day so when I showed up for appointment 30 minutes before I was told they had to check to see if they can fit me in, that took 30 minutes. I then waited 1 1/2 hrs before they took car to be serviced. That's 2 hrs gone. Now I go & check progress 35 minutes later & they haven't started on car & the employee who's suppose to be working on my car is sitting in my car texting on his phone. That's over 2 1/2 hours & my car is still sitting & not being serviced.

Original review: April 22, 2016

I was with my Son picking the car after a tire rotation and oil change when the tire got off. The accident damage all front left side, no lives involve but they have a claim service that takes long time to get this fix. 24 days and my car still on repair center. I think is better to hire a lawyer to fight for your rights.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

After an alignment on my car at Merchant's Tire in Chesapeake, VA. my car started making a scraping and clunking sound. I stopped into the next service station I could find and learned that the jam nut on the left rear tire had been left loose. Essentially, my left rear tire suspension was moving freely. When I called to notify the management, they said it couldn't possible be their fault because they didn't touch the jam nut. Obviously they did and just didn't want to admit to it. I have used this shop for the past several years but the new management team is terrible. I won't be back.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

I went to Merchant's @ 6443 Chesterfield Meadows in Chesterfield for my inspection sticker. They kept my car for 3 hours and charged my $130 dollars to look at my car and to give me a rejection sticker. They told me I failed my inspection because of suspension issues and that it would cost $1000 to replace the necessary parts. I have been taking my car to this store for years and found in my records that I had paid them in the recent past to replace the parts in question. I decided to take the rejection sticker and skip the $1000 "repair" because my car is 10 years old and it would probably be cheaper to just go buy a new car. When I told the mechanic this, he offered to buy my car for $1000 dollars because I have been a "valued customer" for many years.

A week later, I took my car to a different more reputable inspection station. They passed my car in less than 30 minutes and charged me the $16 dollars I had expected to pay originally, because just as I suspected, nothing is wrong with my car. The people at Merchant's Tire & Auto are obviously running some kind of scam and banking on their customers being stupid and having lots of time and money to waste. Basically, Merchant's cost me 130 dollars and hours of precious time, but I learned that if you want to be treated honestly and fairly, you should skip the nonsense and shop local.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

The woman who works at the front desk talks badly about the business as well as the customers, in front of other customers! Highly unprofessional! She should find another, less public job asap! As far as the service, I have had to go back twice for two different issues because they weren't fixed correctly the first time. Not recommended!

Merchants Tire Auto expert review by Lauren Fix

Merchant’s Tire & Auto was founded as a family business in Virginia in the 1940s. Today, the chain is owned by TBC Retail Group and headquartered in Florida. Merchant’s sells and mounts tires and also performs other automotive services.

• TBC Retail Group brand: Because TBC owns Merchant’s, the company’s other brands will honor customers’ store agreements and warranties for products and services purchased at Merchant’s. Other brands include Tire Kingdom, NTB and Big O Tire stores. There are over 1,200 TBC owned locations in the United States and Canada.

• Environmental practices: Merchant’s helps customers make their vehicles more fuel efficient by offering free tire pressure checks (low tire pressure contributes to low gas mileage) and selling low rolling resistance tires. They also properly recycle or dispose of old batteries, used fluids and tires.

• Wheel tool: Those shopping for wheels can use Merchant’s Wheel Visualizer Tool, which shows users how different wheels might look on their make and model of vehicle.

• Online scheduling: Customers can find the nearest Merchant’s location and schedule an appointment online. By creating an online account, customers can receive maintenance reminders via email.

• Best for: Merchant’s is best for those looking for tires and/or who want services performed by an ASE-Certified technician.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Merchant's Tire & Auto Company Information

Merchants Tire Auto
www.merchantstire.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business