Downeast Toyota

Brewer, ME

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Made the appt. a couple weeks in advance for airbag recall replacement. They said they had the part. An automatic call came to our home asking if we will be there for our 11 am appt. Confirmed again. Our drive one way to Toyota is 2 hr. 15 min. pushing the pedal. I get the car there just after 10 am. Their service says "great. We can get you right in, we have a special tech, it'll take about 1 hr. 15-45 minutes." (Much longer than anything I saw done on YouTube, but I accepted the rep's comment, let them think we're all dumb.) Over two hours after they took the car in, I figured it must be done or close to done. NOPE.

The rep guesses and states "It'll be another 40 minutes." I say what!!? I got suspicious right away and asked if he even had the part. He said they did. I say, 'If it isn't even started yet I'll leave. I have a long ride home.' It was to be done by now, plus I had it here early. Rep was kind, went and checked. Within 2 minutes he drove the car out, and says, "He wasn't that deep into it, so he snapped it back together." They did squat in all that time as I wasted MY time. WOW. We were going to buy a new car there next year. This is not any place I feel good about now... even though the kind rep said, "we'll give you a full tank of gas on your next visit." I thanked him, but I was roiling inside that I wasted over 2 hours there plus had to do over a 5.5 hour round trip for LACK of service. I saw lots of the same people sitting for long hours.

I suggest Brewer hire some more mechanics if that's their game. Today, time and travel to all people. That was totally lost on this place. I find it ultimately about pushing numbers. Greatly disappointed. It's a farce. The customers deserve much better. Wish to heck there was a dealer closer to where we live so we would not have to deal with such juvenile approaches to customers. The part was a recall so no funds involved. The reps were kind, but they are taught to bamboozle. They get the flak on what the owners cause to happen, so I do not blame them. I remind kind and fair to them knowing they were forced to lead customers by the nose by the higher ups. Not impressed anymore with Downeast Toyota and how the higher ups run their service department.

I have bought two cars from Downeast Toyota and have had some good experiences but recently was very put out with this dealer. I brought my car in for brakes. In the meantime I decided to test drive a Corolla. It was not the car of my dreams but nice enough to make an offer. I am the kind of person that does my homework, so I knew what my car was worth and what they should be charging me. My offer was rejected. In the meantime service called me and all of a sudden my car now needed 1200 dollars more of parts and labor, which I found this tactic very disappointing. When I complained I was told by the manager that he would look into it and try and fix this issue. I have yet to hear from this dealer. Guess they don't need the business enough to treat good customers right.

I recently purchased a Tacoma at Downeast Toyota and had a great purchasing experience. From the internet where I started my initial search, sales, and finance. Everyone was friendly and better yet at no time did I feel any pressure to purchase.

I recently purchased a new Tundra and had a great experience with DET and after reading these reviews and seeing Facebook video of an episode involving a customer and sales guy, I'm a little nervous but will keep my fingers crossed that my buying experience will be lead with great customer service as well.

I must begin by stating that I am a staunch supporter of the Toyota product. My wife and I have had Corolla’s and Camry’s for years – my first back in the ‘70’s. My wife currently runs a 2008 Camry and my Tundra Crewmax is the second one I purchased brand new. We both love the product – the dependability and quality are unsurpassed by anything domestic or foreign. Bottom line, we won’t own anything but Toyota products.

I must, however, express my disappointment, dissatisfaction, and disillusionment with my latest experience while attempting to purchase another new Tundra Crewmax – a 2014 Limited model. The service and quality apparently apply more to the Toyota product than to customer service.

I contacted Downeast Toyota of Bangor, Maine in order to see about trading in my 2012 Tundra Crewmax and purchasing a new 2014 Tundra Crewmax Limited. The first salesperson I interacted with very quickly left a sour taste in my mouth as multitudes of reasons were provided to indicate how I was not going to be able to purchase my vehicle of choice, and I was directed to purchase a product I had no interest in whatsoever. When I explained this fact, I was then pointedly told my current vehicle was not worth what was listed in both NADA and Kelly Bluebook. My current Tundra is 1.5 years old with less than 20,000 miles registered on the odometer. The layman can easily ascertain the approximate worth of his/her vehicle from these providers with little trouble – couple this with the fact that I was an automotive technician for 15+ years, and one can quickly understand why I was fast losing faith in this individual’s want to meet my needs so much as to procure a sale – any sale.

When my interaction with this individual ended, I hung up the phone feeling confused and brushed aside. True, I have only purchased two vehicles from this dealership (and was attempting to purchase a third), but I brought my brother and sister-in-law as well as friends who all made subsequent purchases from Downeast Toyota. My interactions with this dealership in the past have always been very positive, very customer oriented – a very pleasant experience from all aspects of the purchasing process.

Perplexed, I vowed to make another attempt to purchase the truck I wanted. I figured, everyone has an off day and this salesperson may have had that going on while dealing with me. I contacted Downeast Toyota the very next day and began to work through the haggling, cajoling, and compromising process of purchasing the truck I wanted with a new salesperson. Very quickly, I found the presentation of this new salesperson much more customer oriented, as I was continually asked what I wanted, not what the salesperson wanted to sell me. We continued to work through the finances until we came to a number we could both agree upon – a successful transaction soon to come to fruition.

My wife and I were ecstatic that we were able to work things out and that we would be getting that “early Christmas present” for both of us. I took time from work to procure a loan guarantee from Acadia Federal Credit Union and started the paperwork necessary to become “pre-approved” for the agreed upon amount for the new Tundra. The salesperson sent pictures and vehicle descriptions – setting the stage for our purchase to come this Wednesday (December 11). My wife and I both applied for and received the 11th as a day off from work so we could drive the 450 or so miles to get our new vehicle.

During a committee meeting later in the day today (December 9), the salesperson calls me and begins, “Wayne, how are you? I am afraid I have some bad news – I made a small mistake on our purchase agreement. I was off a little bit.” The “little bit” was $5000.00 – not a little bit in my budget! The long and the short of it, the purchase agreement was now renegotiated sans myself and the price was now $5000.00 more money. I stated that this was unacceptable and was offered the option of buying a Tundra Cewmax Limited that was used from 2012 or 2013. I expressed my unwillingness to do so and hung up the phone – discouraged and disappointed would be a gross understatement.

I don’t understand why I was led on so far – procuring a loan, taking time off, cleaning out my current Tundra, scheduling time off for Wednesday, etc. There were at least 4 phone calls to the second salesperson to work out details, yet no mention of a “small” $5000.00 error.

I worked in the automotive industry for years – living the mantra that the customer is always right. I currently run a middle/high school as a principal where I deal with people and budgets daily. I am extremely disappointed that I was misled due to incompetence or oversight. My wife and I are both saddened – not so much by the price now out of our reach – but by being so misled and fooled into thinking such a purchase could be made.

I only hope such simple $5000.00 minor mistakes do not happen to other prospective buyers right before Christmas – not exactly the holiday spirit we were hoping to experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Downeast Toyota?

In 2007, I purchased a 2007 Camry on a Saturday. By Monday, I noticed the dangerous hesitation. I called the service dept with questions about the hesitation. I was told to drive the Camry for a week "so car can learn driving habits" and stupid me fell for it! I did what DET said to do. The morning of the 10th day, I tried to pull out of my driveway and again the Camry hesitated, jumped forward almost hitting a UPS truck! I called DET service again and this time I was told the truth, no fix!

I traded the Camry back in for my old car I had traded 10 days earlier, lost $7000 and was told by Kevin ** when I asked why I lost so much money because of a problem with the car that he did not hold a gun to my head to buy the Camry or to trade it back in. Nice of him! I found out that in 2009 on the Camry's 6th owner, it was totaled due to the hesitation problem!

Yeah, Kevin, there's nothing wrong with that car! For them to do this kind of thing is wrong! But they do it all day long, high five each other when they steal another trade! It takes a special kind of person to do this kind of thing again and again and get away with it! $7000 is not a lot of money to some but to some it is! There is no reason to rip someone off that much "just because they can" when they know of the dangerous problems!

I bought a used truck and extended warranty. Motor started knocking at 60,000 miles. Dealer claims noise is "normal" and won't fix it.

I recently purchased a new 2010 Tundra off road package double cab (has 500 miles on it). Buyer's beware! The heaters do not stop blowing heat unless you put it in the recirculate position (that's Down East Toyota's fix to the problem). The major design flaw is if you keep your front windows up and roll just the rear window's down, you get a thundering helicopter noise through the cab and if above 50mph, the truck will shack so bad you have to fight to control the vehicle. I just got my truck looked at today by Down East Toyota in Brewer Maine and the service department was aware of both problems. Why?, I asked. Why wasn't the flaws disclosed when I purchased the vehicle?

Toyota already knew about it when I took the truck in. So if you have a new 2010 Tundra, beware. The shacking is extreme with speed and Toyota's answer was it's a flaw in design and if you open the front windows at the same time as the rear, it's not as bad. Well thanks for the heads up Toyota, you almost cost me an accident. I previously owned 4 Ford F150s and boy do I wish I kept my Ford. This truck has many good parts also, but I have to tell you not disclosing the above at buying, I will never buy another Toyota and I'm extremely peeved. It's like they can lie to you but if you lie on your trade-in, boy watch out.

Spoke with a service rep over the phone. I need to get my 1997 toyota tacoma in for a inspection fot the frame. This it what blows my mind. The rep. told me that the nearest appointment they had was Jan. 7th 2009!! This is over 7 months away. For such a safty issue I feel this is unexceptable.

I am on my second Toyota Tundra to have a front end vibration/shimmy problem. Toyota Corp. has now refused to do any more diagnostics on the problem. They insist it is the tires/wheels (Michelin LTX). I went to an independent Tire place and had a Hunter Roadforce balance done and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tires or wheels. Toyota has told me the very same thing now for 2 vehicles, that it is a natural part of the vehicle and is performing "As Designed". I am now forced to arbitration within the next 30 days and would greatly appreciate any and all help on the matter.

Downeast Toyota Company Profile