Jim Coleman Toyota

Bethesda, MD

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have bought 2 used cars from Jim Coleman Toyota. I negotiated a 3 month 3000 mile limited warranty with both. The most recent purchase had a problem while still within the warranty period. Unfortunately, I will never know if it was covered or not because, not surprisingly, they don't want to have anything to do with you after you buy the car. Just got shuttled from phone to phone and person to person until I reached a person who just said "It is not covered" after they had proceeded to completely incorrectly describe what the part that was broken does on the car. They just wanted to get me the hell out of the dealership. So, their used car prices are usually better than most but the warranty is bogus and the treatment was very rude post-purchase.

Purchase a vehicle that had a previous recall. Of course I knew nothing of this but thought that Jim Coleman was a reputable dealer??? Well, while driving my headlights just go off. Sometimes they come back on or I have to play around with switch.

We purchased a minivan from them in 2004 and a prius in 2014. We have brought cars to them for collision repairs and service for over ten years. The purchasing experience was uniformly fair - no pressure, good price. Like all car dealers, they try to upsell add-ons for the cars, but they didn't pressure us when we declined. For the prius, they honored a TrueCar price. Their service and body shop are uniformly polite and communicate well. The service is on the expensive side, typical for dealers.

If there is ZERO star for customer service, Jim Coleman deserves it! My new Toyota Camry involved in car accident and damaged front passenger side bumper, front passenger side park light, and night light. I thought it's ideal to take same place where I purchased for genuine material and better customer service. After 24 hours after I dropped the car, I was told a $7000 estimate for entire work, and promised to finish the work within 2 weeks. After a week Jim Coleman agent called and told me an additional $3000 charge for new damage they found. After two weeks, same Jim Coleman agent called and said they found new damage again and charged me additional $4000.

After one month, only the outside body finished and no one bother to touch the inside part which cost me 14K. Since the maintenance exceeded beyond the estimated date, my insurance declined to cover more than a month. My insurance said the work shouldn't take more than a month and they do not have any authority to request Jim Coleman to work faster. After a week without a car, Jim Coleman allows me to get 5 days rental vehicle, and promised to complete the work within five days. After five days, I checked the vehicle and no one even bother to touch my car. I was told they are waiting the parts and such parts are coming only from one place in the US.

Throughout all the process the contact person, collusion manager, and the mechanic speaks completely contradicting story for the reason why they are not finishing it. I recorded a video and showed to other certified mechanics to give me an estimate. Three mechanics estimated between $3,980 to $5,600 ranges, depends on which materials need to be replaced and which one need to be fixed. This is $22,000 brand new car which cost me $14,000.

At end, I was told two mechanics work on the inside part and the work expected to complete in two working days, (8 hr x 2 mechanics =16 hours of labor per day). When I checked by the date they promised, my car was exactly the same condition where it was three weeks ago. I complained to the manager again and he allows me to get a one day rental. I asked how they going to finish in one day if the estimate sent to my insurance stated two days of labor for two mechanics. The manager insisted me to take his word without explanation and promised to finish next day. Even though my insurance paid for two days of labor for two mechanics, they completed the work in half day and called me for pick up.

After one month and 15 days Jim Coleman spent less than a week on the actual work and charged me $14500. The customer service person assigned to handle my case was very disrespectful and always lies to cover the previous lie. I do not recommend anyone to suffer and charged ridiculously high for the service not better than you can get any other garage. Jim Coleman will be my option only if entire mechanics wiped out from the universe and my car completely dead.

We bought our car last August 28, 2014 for 2014 Camry Toyota LE. We had agreed to the price of $21,899 which was actually written at their customer's sheet in the section of SALE PRICE $21,899. Not realizing that the car has already a 500 mileage to it but was given discount for $60 by the general manager and owner which we thought, it was alright. But upon telling family and friends about it, that was so stupid of us to had agreed! Well, I guess they were right and we are not aware of dealers could rip you up! Now, after agreeing to the $60 off because of the used mileage on it, we were brought to the financial officer who does the breakdown. Surely, the number that was given to him by ** was $23,149,00 which was surprised and had asked him and a name Steven, the financial officer said that, that was the given price to him. I thought in the beginning that, ** added $1250 which was the rebate that time on that car that the purpose would be for the tax.

I did not realized that, from the price given and had agreed to us of $21,839.00 has taken off $60 for the used mileage, Coleman ADDED the rebate of $1250 to it that turns out to be $23,089.00 that was written at the original receipt as the SALE PRICE? That was not fair at all! From the $23,089 was on the top sale price which should not be and added all the taxes and other miscellaneous expenses went to almost $25000 and pretense of all the deductions of the rebate of $1250, and we had put $5K down payment plus our trade in for $2500. I was so disappointed that he did that to us, had tricked us by ripping us off with the $1250 adding to the sale price and pretend to deduct it after the breakdown? That is not right at all! He should have given the real sale price of $21839.00 minus the $1250 and other deductions that we had made.

When we had asked him about it, he claim that, with Maryland Law, you are not suppose to show the rebate number to the sale price on the white sheet of the customer's sheet form? OMG, such a liar! This dealership must be called THE STEALERSHIP!!! Also, he added that, we already signed on that yellow original sheet that there is no way of backing up? Maybe, he could be right BUT God knows whoever the salesperson we had dealt with from the start that, we were given and had agreed for the price of $21,839.00 only and NOT $23,089.

Customers MUST be very careful in buying new cars or anything with Jim ** Toyota in Bethesda and especially dealing with ** himself! Such a LIAR. HE WILL RIP YOU OFF. He was very, very good and accommodating during the selling period that we did not sign anything yet, but after doing so...beware. HE ONLY CARES FOR YOUR MONEY! He could be great in customers relation in the beginning but if you have paid and all that, HE DOESN'T CARE and would even tell you, "You have signed already!" meaning, there is no point of no return!

We went to Criswell dealership to sell the car that we had bought from Jim ** just yesterday and that, we are looking forward of paying almost the same monthly but change our car to Accord Honda and had mentioned our bad experience with Jim Coleman, and we had shown the papers that was done, the sheet with the sale price of $21839 and the yellow original price of $23,089, they said that, WE WERE SCREWED UP WITH JIM **! THEY SHOULD HAVE BASED THE PRICE FROM $21,839 and not the $23,089. The rebate must be taken from $21,839 and also Criswell said that, we should have not taken the new car with 500 mileage. That is terrible, they said. The normal mileage car should have for buying new cars must only be like less than 30 - 40 mileage. Criswell mentioned, they never had even 100 mileage in their area.

SO better be very careful with dealing with Jim ** in Bethesda and especially do not encounter dealing with **, the owner himself! We didn't anymore argue further because, losing $1250 would not empty our stomach. We still going to survived and that is only money. There will come a time that, Toyota, JIM ** will go down the drain because of ripping off customers like that! VERY DISHONEST PEOPLE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jim Coleman Toyota?

Their salesman talk fast and are not to be trusted. I recently traded in a leased car for a new 2014 lease Toyota Rav. It took me awhile to make a decision since I was also requesting that my car be shipped to CA since I would be there for awhile for business. They assured me that this would be a smooth deal, even overpromising things they had no control over - i.e., vouching for their recommended transport service and promising quick turnaround with shipping - WolfPack Transport - another company that you should not trust.

After being harassed for two weeks by the salesman and their office with about 5 calls a day (and complaining about it without any resolution by Jim Coleman)...I did decide to go with Jim Coleman again based on "trusted" information I received from one of their salesman and owner. It has been one ordeal after another. My car was not picked up for a month from the dealer even though Wolfpack and Jim Coleman assured me this would happen "quickly". Wolfpack has to be giving Jim Coleman some kind of kickback because I can't imagine anyone recommending their service. First, they have the poorest customer service, i.e., never picking up the phone and going straight into a black hole of a voice mail, keeping you on hold for 20 minutes once they do pick up, and then promising you anything you want until they get your credit card information. Even when I complained to one of their representatives, she said, "No comment."

I can say that after being assured this would be a smooth deal by Jim Coleman and Wolfpack, I am shocked that I have been treated with such arrogance and nonchalant "not my responsibility" attitude by both companies. After waiting a month to receive my car and having to rent a car in the meantime, it finally arrives. Not at my home, as promised by both companies, but 30 minutes away at a Costco in San Francisco. Once I get there, I noticed there was no temporary tags on the car. Nice topper to my experience. Not only did I wait a month for this car to arrive, but now I couldn't drive it due to Jim Coleman's incompetency.

Of course, outraged, I called ** who again, with his nonchalant and arrogant attitude, could not even offer to pay for a ticket should I have been stopped by a police officer driving home. He just said he had "empathy" for me and would try to fix it as fast as possible. Needless to say, I haven't received my tags the next day (even though I am sure Jim Coleman can afford an overnight service to get it to me). Having now to rent yet another car to get to work, I can say without hesitation, do not trust Jim Coleman. They will tell you anything to make a sale and keep your business. Extremely dissatisfied customer.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I was contacted by management and the problem was quickly resolved (free of charge).

John of Washington, DC on

Original Review

I had my front fender repaired at Jim Coleman's collision center and two weeks later, the wheel well cover fell off because it was not properly reattached after the repairs. Of course, the guys at the collision center came up with reasons why it was not their fault. I took the car back to the dealer that I purchased the car from and they said it looked like some of the support screws were not properly put back into place. Buyer beware, Jim Coleman's collision center does not stand behind their work!

Imagine this. Jim Coleman Toyota acquires a Toyota from another dealer in VA. He gets it cheap because it is damaged. He repairs the damage and sends it to auction and lists it as no prior damage or paint to get the most money under false pretenses. The auction does not know that he has deceived them, the dealer who bought it does not know that he has deceived them, and finally the buyer discovers the deception by registering the VIN with Toyota and speaks to a dealer who finds the Jim Coleman Toyota's R.O. # for $2800 in front end repair not reported to any agency that would show it on their record such as CARFAX. Knowing this would you buy from this dealer? I think not.

I wish I could select ZERO stars! I purchased a used car (with 3 months, 3k coverage) and selected a 2005 BMW Z4 with 84k miles to test drive and fell in love. Ben (sales) was excellent. He had the answers or got the answers for my many questions and was not pushy at all for the sale. Martin (used car manager) was a waste! I had to hound him for a part to be replaced that was broken before I pick up the vehicle (details below). He was not honest on his replies; don't trust him.

Before picking up my car, the dealer was preparing it for pickup and broke the passenger vent. I had to point it out to them (they were not upfront about it) and had follow the guy through the dealership until I got a written commitment that they would fix it. Now a week later, no calls or contact to say that the part is in and they will repair/replace it. I finally called them and they said the part is "on order". Poor communication! I called my BMW dealer (Passport BMW) and they have the part in stock and it is a 10-minute fix. I don't believe they ever ordered the part.

Today, I had my mechanic (Passport BMW) completed a multi-point inspection and found out the valve cover gasket has a leak; probably something normal with the year/mileage. I Called Jim ** and informed them of this issue. They said they need to complete the repair YET, they are not BMW certified or handle BMW vehicles on their lot often enough for me to trust their mechanics to repair it properly. The same people who broke the vent and were not honest about it.

The Service Manager said on the phone, "we can't keep putting money in the car; we are not making much on it". As a customer, it is not my issue if you do not profit on the sale of a vehicle (I will say the price was excellent) BUT I expect professionalism and follow-up on customer commitments. Martin (Service Manager) stated there was a leak, but it was not leaking enough to fail a state inspection so it was no covered. They have no obligation to repair it. I also have an extended warranty on the vehicle, they will cover the repair of the valve cover gasket (if Jim ** is shady and will not cover it) --just beware! They will try to string you along and not answering questions honestly and accurately.

I purchased a 2007 Honda Accord on Saturday, April 24, 2010, from Jim Coleman Toyota. After sealing the deal, I brought the car to a license mechanic to have it checked out on Friday, April 30th, to make sure the car was in great condition. The mechanic told me the car had one brand new tire on it and the other three tires, the treading are almost gone. You would have thought if the Honda Accord is certified, they should have put all new tires on it and not just one. How ridiculous does that sound? There were a lot of scratches on the car, along with the radio having a spot inside. Plus I would like to add, I didn't see the sticker price of the car until after the financial department plugged the numbers into the computer to show me the price of the 2007 Honda Accord. They led me to believe I was getting a good deal by showing me the sticker price of a 2010 Honda Accord and not a 2007. They sold me the Kelley Blue Book value of the 2007 Honda Accord. I admit I was suckered into believing I got a big discount on the price of the car after seeing the sticker price.

I called my salesman Howard ** to inform him about all the issues that Honda Accord had and he referred me to Phil **. Phil was very arrogant and was not attentive to my issue at all. His attitude showed me he could care less about my issue about the tires. His response was the state of Maryland requires a certain percentage of treading for the tires to pass inspection. He also said if he had to put four brand new tires on the vehicle, he would have to raise the price of the car. My response was, "then I would have to leave the car parked right on the lot". Phil ** facial expression showed me he didn't care at all. In fact, he wasn't interested in looking at the tires until I asked him to check them out. I believe he already knew the condition of the tires and that is why he never offered to take a look at the tires.

I called Howard ** on Monday, May 3rd, to let him know about the experience I had with Phil and he suggested for me to speak with Tim **. Tim was a lot more pleasant. However, he only replaced one of the tires instead of all three. (Ridiculous) They covered up the scratches, which is still visible and told me they can't do anything about the radio. Jim Coleman Toyota showed me how much they care about my safety on the road and the quality of their cars, which tells me that they don't care at all. Who cares about the customer's safety or quality of the cars? This is the feedback I got back from the purchase I made with Jim Coleman Toyota. It is all about the money.

It is not fair. Two to three months down the line, I have to replace tires on a so called certified used car from Jim Coleman Toyota. If this is the case, I should have kept my old car instead of buying a so called certified used vehicle from Jim Coleman Toyota. I am not satisfied with the purchase I made with them. I made so many trips back and forth to Jim Coleman Toyota, that some of the employees knew my name.

Another issue I want to mention, is after bringing my tire up to their service department to be replaced, I notice my hub cap was scratched up on the same very wheel they put the new tire they replaced. They told me that the damages were from the car hitting the curb. I know I didn't hit a curb and I would know of notice it before the tire was replaced.

After the so called repairs, two - three weeks later, I experienced vibrations when I put my foot on the brake. They claimed the front rotors are warped and they want me to be responsible for the cost of the repair. I know rotors should not warp that quickly. I only had the car for about a little over a month. I believe the rotor was on the way of being warped and I received the short end of the stick.

I called Howard ** back to tell him what happened and he said he will talk to Tim ** to work something out. I also gave Tim ** a call and left a message. It is now almost two weeks later and no one has called from Jim Coleman Toyota to say anything.

At this point, I am very upset and ready to turn the car and the keys in, except Howard ** told me they do not have a return policy. So, now I'm stuck with a car I'm totally not happy with. I am too afraid to take the car back for them to repair the rotors, because they will fix the rotors and then my wheel may fall off or something else might happen. I see the pattern of each time taking the vehicle in, for servicing an issue, another problem occurs. Also, this past week, the car is also vibrating without me putting my foot on the brake. I believe they didn't balance the tire correctly. I didn't call them about this issue, because they are incompetent of fixing repairs. I will tell anyone who wants to buy a vehicle from Jim Coleman Toyota to run far away and run as quick as they can.

I have to take my Honda Accord to another establishment to get the rotors repaired because I don't trust they will repair it properly. Plus, I need to find out why the car is vibrating. Two to three months down the line, the car is going to need two new tires.

I purchased a brand new Toyota Camry (2010 XLE) with a very expensive option of blue tooth/navigation system. There was a bulletin on the Nav/bluetooth not working properly, and they said they replace it. That was two weeks after my purchase. Now, my phone (a very popular Verizon N3 model) will not connect properly to the system.

I have called the dealership numerous times, only to be informed by Ivan that my phone was not on approved list. What approved list? He was confused as well. I did not sign nor was told of such a list when I purchased car in January. Ivan couldn’t even connect the phone--he is a tech person and also told me there was that recall on the system. The entire dealership and regional office knows that this is a problem and refused to deal with it. My manual says as long as I have a blue tooth compatible phone, it should work. Now Ms. S. says there is an update on their web site (after the fact).

After calls into the head of service, Tim M., manager of Jim Coleman Toyota, and finally, the regional division of Toyota (in Columbia,), and Debbie S., I have been informed that I should either use my blue tooth ear piece, talk on the cell phone using my hands, buy another phone, or call the 800 Toyota number that have never taken any calls due to high volume of calls. I have written, called and talked till I am blue in the face and have gotten nothing at all other than 3 recalls, and my carpet replaced on the drivers side while they were performing recalls.

This purchase has been a nightmare from day one, with lie after lie. I purchased this vehicle with an unusable blue tooth/navigation attachment. So, in fact, I was sold a car under false terms. This resulted to hour and hours of wasted time. Those dealership people telling me lies and they have all refused my request for letting me simply purchase a new cell phone that would work with this car! I am simply asking for a reimbursement that is compatible. Debbie S. knows there is a problem as she told me she has a non-compatible phone as well. I needed the hands free system to drive safely. I am disabled and there is no excuse for my brand new car's navigation system being unusable.

My car had stopped on the road. I've only had it for 3 months. So I called tow service, they in turn took it to my insurance company where they determined that it was an engine problem. So at this point, they towed the car to Toyota. I told them how I just brought the car and they said, “When was the last time you changed the oil?” I said, “You all just changed the oil,” so at this point, they called me later and said it was gunk in the engine so I would have to pay all this money to have it repaired.

We argued back and forth before they decided to call the extra protection insurance I was paying for on the car and they paid for it minus what the contract said I had to pay. I rented a car so that I could get back and forth to work. After repairs were made, two months later, the same thing happened again. So I was forced to come out of my pockets with money I didn't have. At this time, I asked if they could give me another car because engine trouble in the beginning is not a good sign and they said they couldn't find anyone to finance me.

I suggested, “Why not Toyota? You guys are the ones with the problem cars,” and they denied. So to this day, I still deal with the quick acceleration of my vehicle and I'm just waiting for an accident to happen, because I'm bound by this contract and riding in a vehicle I don't feel safe in. I have had to neglect paying several important bills including my car note, which led to calls from them constantly harassing me for the payment and also attempts from the power company to shut my electric off, amongst other things. This undue stress has ended me up in the emergency room on several occasions where as my blood pressure was raised to a threatening level, which could have eventually led to my death if I hadn't taken the time to miss work to attend to it.

I came in to Jim Coleman Toyota because of an advertisement for a 2006 Toyota Highlander. I would like to share a few items regarding my experience with the Jim Coleman Toyota management team. There are two impressions which can overpower an encounter, the first and the last. I purchased a vehicle from your location this past weekend. My first impression was one that is typically expected from a dealer/sales rep that is vying for your business and trying to make a sale, but I don't want to take anything away from the very personable and professional customer service provided by my sales rep, Sean. He made my overall experience a positive one.

However, leading up to the final hours before closing the deal and to the time that I drove off the lot, my experience turned sour. In other words, based on this last impression, I would probably not recommend Jim Coleman Toyota to friends, co-workers, fellow military members, etc, who are seeking to purchase a vehicle. There were a few notable areas that gave my experience a less than pleasing ending. Of course, your dealership still made the sale, but hopefully by pointing out areas that most would consider shortfalls, you will take action to improve the customer experience for others in the near future.

Prior to finalizing my purchase, I was informed that the 3.9% advertised financing might be difficult to obtain and that it was based on an individual's credit score. I knew I had a strong credit rating, so I felt strongly that I would be eligible for this rate. I was later told after finalizing the deal that the special rate was only applicable for Certified Toyota vehicles.

The vehicle I purchased was not a Certified Toyota, but this was not noted at any time while I was seeking information and test-driving the vehicle (should have asked this specific question, but it would have been helpful if the difference between certified and non-certified vehicles was explained up front). My vehicle was supposed to be detailed the night before I picked it up. When I got in to drive it off the lot, I was told that I could bring it back to have the detailing finished on the outside due to the rain, but it was clear to me that the inside nor outside detailing was completed. The sales associate was only allowed to put $15 worth of gas in my vehicle because it was a used vehicle, so I had to drive off the lot with just over 1/4 of a tank of gas.

Just prior to driving off the lot, I asked if there was a second key for the vehicle. The response was that only one key was turned in by the previous owner; therefore, only one key (with key-less remote) could be provided to me for the vehicle. I don't think the dealership would have incurred an unbearable expense to fill up the gas tank or make an extra copy of the regular key, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, these small efforts and attention to other details could have gone a long way toward having another satisfied customer. Thank you.

Found a car at Jim Coleman Toyota. Was told that I couldn't pick up the car because the O2 Sensor part wasn't in. Picked up car on October 28, 2009 and Sean F. told us the engine lights (check engine and service engine) were on because it would take a few restarts and running for them to shut off.

Called Sean 2 days later to tell him that the light was not going off and that the mirrors didn't work. It was NEVER disclosed to us the mirrors didn't work. Called Sean numerous times about lights and mirrors. Didn't hear back from him. Dealership called about safety and emissions. I told lady on phone that we were concerned about lights and that Sean was not calling us back. She said call Phil S.-- used car manager. I left message for Phil two times. No return call.

Dealership called me again about Tom having a Washington drivers license-I again said I'd been leaving messages for both of them. She said she would give Phil the message. Phil called me on that Wednesday and said he would look into in and call me back. He never did. My husband just took car up to dealership on that Saturday and had them look at light. They said they forgot to reset the light and they did it. They also said someone from sales would come talk to him about mirrors. He waited 2 hours. No one came out. He left. They said someone would call.

That Monday car lights still on. I called and left another message for Phil. Then called again and asked for Phil's boss. I got the new car manager Roy. He tried to sell me a new car. Said someone would call me back. By 2:00 no one had called. I called again. This time spoke to Tim Martin. He apologized and thanked me for my patience. Told me to bring car up. Someone would look at it Monday.

I took car up to dealership on 28th. He came out looked at car. Said he would call me by mid week. On Wednesday evening I had not heard from Tim so I sent him a text at 6:36 asking what was going on. He replied at 6:41 "hi getting car back in the am I will call you tomorrow." My husband text him at 11:51

He called me at 2:00 to say they had never shut the light off and there was nothing wrong with the car. I asked him, "Then why did they say 2 weeks ago when we brought the car up that they'd shut the light off?" He said,"Well I never got a straight answer about that." He also said, "I'll call you in a half an hour about the mirrors." I said "So basically they blew us off when we drove up there and waited two hours?" He had no response except I'll call you in half an hour.

By 6:03 PM I text him "I didn't hear back, is the car ready?" The next morning we still hadn"t heard. So my husband text him again. His response, "have them shortly just waiting on a cost for the mirror switch and labor to see if you want to repair it." 12/4-Left message for General Manager Brian S.. He called me back and basically said, sorry that's too bad. That if the mirrors weren't cracked they were fine. I informed him I was taking car to mechanic. That I didn't believe anything his dealership had to say.

So basically we just got taken. I more than likely would have bought the car with the mirrors not working, but I do not feel it was honest to not disclose they didn't work. Plus now you've had my car for a week and you are telling me all it was was a light wasn't turned off? That took me two trips to Bethesda? I can't believe this! It seems like a sitcom show, except when it really happens to you it isn't funny. I wouldn't recommend [their]dealership to anyone! This was a horrible experience.

I bought a used Oldsmobile Intrigue from Jim Coleman Toyota. I signed the finance papers, even though they charged me more for the car and the warranty than they said it cost when I was negotiating. A month later, Harold from finance called me and said the loan on the car fell through and I had to come in and sign another loan with an interest rate of over 23%! He would not explain why the jump in interest rate. I tried to get the exact amount to finance from him so I could apply at my credit union, but, either I couldn't get through to him, or he never left the information on his messages. Now, I have no financing for the $5000 I owe for the car and warranty, and they have the $4500.00 that I spent on the car. The car has needed four repairs since I have bought it a month ago, but they gave me a rental and repaired them at no cost, so that is ok.

Jim Coleman Toyota Company Profile