2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

3.9/5 (770 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Lexus

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Lexus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lexus?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lexus?

Original review: April 29, 2021

I am very impressed with the Lexus extended warranty. Two years ago, while having my vehicle serviced, I was informed that my steering was defective and leaking. It would need to be replaced. The cost was over $4000.00. My extended warranty covered the entire cost with no copay required. This one repair more than tripled the cost of the seven year warranty. I have had extended warranties with other vehicles that I have had, but none as good as this.

Original review: April 22, 2021

A few days after purchasing my 2018 ES 350 Lexus I noticed a fumey smell in the car after driving it for a few miles. The car was a certified used car so I thought maybe there were lingering scent from the previous owner, so I gave the interior of the car a thorough cleaning, but I couldn't get rid of the scent. I used all different types of air freshener but the fumes scent kept coming back, especially when I was driving on the highway. What really scared me was when I was transporting my daughter and she stated that, "Mom the smell inside your car makes me feel nauseated." I called the car dealership Lexus of Palm Beach immediately, I stated the problem and was told to bring the car in.

To my surprise Lexus has been aware of the problem since 2006. I was given a HVAC odor maintenance bulletin dated February 6th 2020, which stated that some 2006 to 2020 model year Lexus vehicles may exhibit odors that naturally occur from the HVAC system and/or related environmental factors. Although there is no way to eliminate these orders, follow the general procedure in this bulletin to minimize the order experience. I was told to purchase a charcoal AC filter with an AC refresher for $265 plus tax that may or may not minimize the order experienced.

The most shameful part of this experience with Lexus was that they were trying to convince me that other motor vehicle manufacturers had the same problem, The problem I see here is Lexus chose not to fix this problem. They have been aware of this problem since 2006 and they continue to manufacture vehicles with the same odor problem as of 2020. I have driven other cars that were not fume coffins, like this ES 350. Other automotive vehicle manufacturers choose to fix this problem. I bought this car because it was a Lexus and the name Lexus was associated with prestige and luxury. I now have a car, I still owe thousands of dollars that I cannot transport my children in. I have to drive the car because it's my only means of transportation but I feel unsafe in it every day I drive it.

I am so tired of corporations and people who work for these corporations that don't care about their customers and their safety. I bought a Lexus, I expected the best in luxury, before buying this car I drove a Kia. It did not have an odor issue so Kia found a way to fix the problem, why Lexus refuses to fix this fume odor issues. Shame on you Lexus Manufacturer.

Original review: March 2, 2021

After purchasing two Lexus’, I thought I would stick with the brand for a very long time. This will probably not be the case. After having a series of very negative experiences with my 17 RC350, I will most likely never buy another Lexus. A little while after purchasing the RC it started developing a tapping sound. This noise continued to get louder and I was able to hear it from inside the cabin of the vehicle. I was able to locate the noise coming from the mechanical fuel pump. I took it in to my local dealer for repair. They told me they were unable to duplicate the concern and the assistant service manager displayed no customer service skills whatsoever in any attempt to help me with my issue.

I contacted the Service manager the next business day and was able to come in and work with him and the diagnostic tech to duplicate this noise. We spent an hour test driving and listening to another RC they had on the lot. I was told to make another appointment and they would take another look at it. While it was in this time, the dealer involved the regional field specialist and dug deeper. I was ultimately told that even though they were able to duplicate this concern, it was normal operation.

I made a complaint with Lexus customer care and this complaint was escalated twice. Two of the three people I spoke to at Lexus were more interested in talking than actually listening to my concern and again showing any kind of customer service. This includes the last individual who was the highest executive level I could escalate this. They made it very apparent that they were not interested in assisting a repeat customer with a valid concern. They made it very clear that losing any further business was less important than repairing my fuel pump.

Lexus advertises their luxury vehicles to be the quietest on the road, but when you bring them a valid noise complaint they don’t want to honor the bumper to bumper factory warranty. This is the opposite of what I expect when I invest in a luxury car company most of all Lexus. I did quite a bit of my own independent research and determined that fuel pumps are a bit of a sore spot with Lexus and a bit of an Achilles heel.

My vehicle shares the same fuel pump as the IS and the GS. I was given a 2019 GS as a loaner vehicle and the fuel pump was at least 80% quieter. I was also able to determine that the fuel pump for all these cars has 4 successive part numbers. Lexus has obviously redesigned this part several times for important reasons. I am left to wonder if my generation was updated due to excessive noise. Ultimately the unwillingness of Lexus to take responsibility for their product and their customer service leaves me no other choice but to leave record of this and let others know what I have experienced.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I will never buy another Lexus vehicle. After receiving a recall notice, I waited to take it to the dealer because I was unsure if I was keeping this car. When it was decided to pass it down to my 3rd year medical student, daughter, because of the supposed reliability, I took the vehicle in for the repair. When I left there with a diagnosed timing cover leak, engine oil leak, that occurs in about 100% of these due to a manufacturing problem, and was notified of a $2,800 cost, my trust in this vehicle is over. Not only was that uncovered, but my daughter has complained of the navigation/electrical system shutting off/rebooting approx. 8 times in a 2 hour drive.

Jim Hudson Lexus service advisor said I needed an update for $186. Upon further review, I do not believe an update will help. I reached out to Lexus Corporate and after the case manager, finally, reached someone at Jim Hudson, this has been ongoing for about 3 weeks, she called to tell me that Jim Hudson could not create the navigation problem so they did not have a suggestion other than to leave the car with them for further diagnostics. Since the driver is a medical student, 2 hours away, this additional diagnosis time may not be a possibility. Also, she wanted to notify me that Lexus will not be able to help with the repair of the oil leak. After discovering the continued problems with these vehicles, not just the 7 year old ones but the 1 week old ones, I will remove Lexus from my possible cars to buy in the future. Please beware of any Lexus vehicle you are thinking of buying. I do not know how they receive such high ratings.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

2021 GX460 Luxury edition no longer has dual auto-dimming mirrors! They had them on the GX460 Premium/Luxury trim ever since their 2010 redesign and even after the 2020 facelift they kept this feature on the Luxury edition...only to be dropped on a 2021! They're saving $100 on a $70k vehicle! Every other Lexus vehicle has them standard or available in a package except for the GX460 now! What's next Lexus??? Manual windows???

I wrote to Lexus about this and earlier today spoke to their "Case Manager" regarding this issue. First she said that "Lexus determines their vehicles features based on extensive research and consumer feedback"! Really??? Who are those "customers" that complained about their passenger side auto-dimming mirror preventing them from being blinded by a semi or an F-250??? But then it gets even more bizarre: she said that "it is not salesperson responsibility to inform customers about vehicle features"... OK! Who's job is it?

So according to her, it was my job to somehow suspect that Lexus would decide to drop this feature from a vehicle that had it on every MY starting from 2010-2013 (Premium) and then from 2014-2019 (Luxury) and it stayed on the 2020 redesign on the Luxury trim!!! I was supposed to suspect that it would be dropped for 2021... because..?? I'm sorry, but this was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Good deal Lexus! You saved your nickel... You've lost a loyal customer! If this is what you call "pursuit of perfection" count me out of that pursuit!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I am the owner of my third Lexus ES 350. I anticipated buying my fourth in the next couple of years. I have purchased a Lexus almost exclusively because of its reputation for quality. As I am often in my car alone, the idea of having a car that will not leave me stranded by the side of the road is paramount. I noticed initially, however, with my most recent car purchased new, the 2014 model, that it was not as quiet as my first Lexus.

I let that past not attributing it to a decline in overall quality. However, I was wholly unprepared for the wholesale failure without warning of my transmission after only 74,000 miles leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I was lucky to make it to a surface street as the failure occurred on the highway. This was a car, as was the case with each of my prior purchases, that had each and every service recommended, all done by a Lexus dealer. However, I could have saved myself a tremendous amount of money, both in terms of initial outlay and maintenance cost, with a much cheaper car and received the same result. This is my LAST Lexus and last Toyota made car.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

We HAD (with emphasis) a 2018 Lexus GX 460 with only 27,000 miles on it when the alternator decided to completely fail. We live in a very remote area in the summer that is not close to a Lexus dealership so we had a local mechanic replace the alternator. When we returned to our main residence in Florida we took the vehicle to the dealership we purchased it from for a checkup and presented them the bill for replacing the alternator. The service representative said they would submit it to Lexus for reimbursement and we should get a check within a few weeks.

Weeks passed and finally, we received a call from our rep saying we would have to deal directly with Lexus Corporation. The corporate office made us jump from hoop to hoop while knowing full well they had no intentions of reimbursing us because we didn’t use a “certified Lexus mechanic”. Lexus has always touted themselves as a “customer comes first” company. Clearly, these core values have gone by the wayside. Additionally, their quality control that they have always prided themselves in has totally gone down the tubes. After reading all these negative reviews I can see I’m not the only one who has issues with this company. We will not be buying any more Lexus vehicles in our lifetime and many of our friends who own a Lexus will hear our story. Sadly Lexus will be keeping OUR $921.97. They apparently will need it to keep their head above water from all of their problems.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I recently emailed Lexus Brand Experience about the horrible service I have received with my new Lexus ES350 FSport. This was on 12/29 and I have yet to hear back. Just another testament to why I will never buy a Lexus again. It all started from the salesperson telling us that we had 2 free oil changes that come to find out is not true. Then after bringing my car home, noticing it has a very small chip on the gas cap & the salesperson telling us "Oh well, you took it home, nothing we can do." Each time I've taken my car in for service it has not gone smoothly. The 2nd time taking it in they rotated my tires & since then my car has not driven the same. Took it in for the 3rd time and when I bring this up, the service writer proceeds to tell me that they could balance them for $90 & had I brought it in immediately after that they would have fixed it. I'm trading in my car and will never recommend Lexus to anyone!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Beware of this diagnosis. It is not covered as of now from Lexus and is a 6,000-7000 dollar repair due to their drain hose design and placement in vehicle. I just bring it in for 10000 mile service and within a week the car started to take in water. It's been a problem with these cars since 2012 and they won't do anything to fix it because they're claiming natural causes. I leased car from lexus of Rt 10 in Whippany NJ. They won't help or lexus 1-800 won't either even knowing this problem has been going on for many years. I went on lexus forums to see if other people have had same experience and the answer is yes from same dealership also too but after their 5000 mile service. Beware and spread the word about lexus.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Lexus requires you to pay a yearly fee to use remote app or key fob for remote start. They should not be doing this. Other manufacturers do not require this fee. I will think twice before purchasing another Lexus vehicle because of this.

Lexus Company Information