Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.58/5

Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

993 Kia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 30, 2011

I purchased a 2011 Kia Soul on May 24th. I have received the "New Vehicle Purchase & Delivery Survey". I have tried to log on to the website to fill out the questionnaire. I get on the website but the user ID & password sent to me doesn’t allow me to access the site. I have tried to get to your main website to report the matter to your customer service department but the website comes up "not found."

Any ideas on how I can complete the survey online will be most welcome. Thanks.

Original review: July 25, 2011

The 2002 kia spectra may run but asthetically is poor. both seat belt buckles have broken off. the arm rest has broken off. the seat has broken. the passenger door will not open from the inside because the handle is broken. the dash is buckling up around the defrost vents. the ac has stuck on heat before because of an easily tripped switch under the dash and now the ac is stuck on defrost and won't change back to the vents.

Original review: July 24, 2011

Radio commercial is offensive and not in good taste for a class company such as KIA. It was using Arnold Swartzeneggers current marriage/divorce scandle, his accent, etc. to entice consumers to buy a KIA. If anything, this type advertisement probably turns people off and was very distasteful. Please take this into consideration and take that radio commercial off the air.

Original review: July 23, 2011

My 2002 Kia just wouldn't start. I had it towed. The mechanic said that the problem is the switch (a $20 spare part), but because it was behind the timing chain. They had to tear the whole front of the engine off to get to it. It cost me $1100. I will never buy another Kia, and I will be telling all my friends to avoid them like the plague. This is just one of several issues I had with the car.

Original review: July 15, 2011

I bought a new KIA Rondo in Aug '09. It had powered mirrors on the sun visor. It was hardly used on the first year. Later, when my wife started using them on the co-driver's side, they got hard and started cracking. Within six months, it cracked and become inoperable. Later, when I tried my side, first thing I observed was that they were already repaired with glue and when I started operating them more often, that one also broke like a crispy wafer. When I complained about this to Southtown Kia in Edmonton South, they refused to replace it. They said it's not covered by warranty and asked me to call customer experience department at 1-877 542 2886, who said that they cannot do anything and talk to service again. Now they are passing the ball to each other and nothing is done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: June 26, 2011

I've had 2 issues with my new Kia Rondo at low mileage that shouldn't be happening. Kia refuses to honor the warranty they make such a big deal of in their advertisements & when we called the dealership, they blamed these 2 problems on us.

The 1st issue: the bolt holding my front passenger side strut came loose at only 10K miles. I brought the car to the dealer thinking the problem might be alignment, only to be told nothing was wrong. I brought the car to our local garage & they found the problem immediately. In fact, they were shocked that Kia failed to see it. They told us to call the dealer, who blamed it on "bad roads. " At 10K miles? This was a severe safety issue that could have caused an accident. The fix was about $40 but that's not really the point. The point is lousy quality.

The 2nd issue: vibration when braking at only 28K miles. I didn't bother with Kia dealer; this time I brought the car to our local garage. The mechanic says the alignment is fine & the brake pads have 6 months life left but the rotors are warped. Again, they said to call Kia. Again, Kia blames this on us. They claim it could happen by "hitting a puddle of cold water".

Sounds like ** to me! The rotors shouldn't need to be replaced at less than 30K miles while the brake pads are still good. Kia America tells us we have to take the car to the dealer, have them confirm what our mechanic says, then call them back from the dealership. Our next step if we don't get satisfaction is filing a complaint with our State Attorney General. Don't sell people on your warranty, then refuse to stand behind it. I've never paid so much for such a poor quality vehicle. I'm disgusted.

The loose strut bolt could have caused a serious accident per our mechanic, but we averted disaster by being persistent and not listening to the dealer. The rotors are an ongoing unresolved issue. I'm told GM had a recall for a similar problem on their vehicles and it was due to defective rotors, not the owners' driving habits. Rotors would cost me $500 to replace at the dealer, around $300 to replace at my local garage. That's still not the point. Lousy quality and refusal to honor the warranty are the issues. Kia should cover this repair. I plan to let everyone know about my experience with Kia.

Original review: June 22, 2011

They refuse to honor a recall on the fuel system for my 2003 Sorento and charged me $745.00. I will be filing a claim in court. My car or myself could have caught on fire due to this defective problem.

Original review: June 20, 2011

I bought my Kia Armanti in 1995. I have loved this car but in the last couple of years I have had to replace the headlight bulbs 4 times. I know it’s not a lot of money 20 to 25 each time but I never have had a car that I have had to replace the bulbs so much the headlight bulbs should last more than a year. They tell me that there is no warranty on the bulbs but I just can’t believe that I should have to replace them so often. I live 30 miles away so I have to take time off to replace them each time I just think that this must be a problem with other Armantis.

Original review: June 8, 2011

Both rear folding seats seem to get stuck every time the latch is released and there is no movement in the seats in my 2011 Kia Sorento LX. The rear seats are not functioning as they should be and the product is not providing the service that is stated in the vehicle overview.

Original review: April 21, 2011

My complaint is not against an individual. The complaint is against Kia Motors. I own a 2007 Kia Spectra. The car has been stalling for about a year now. I have taken it in on several occasions. They have not been able to duplicate the problem but once. However, they did not fix the problem so I took the car back and just received a phone call that they can't duplicate the problem. I have adjusted my life to make sure I don't get hit in this car. It stalls at stop signs and after you have been driving for a while. I died on the freeway at 70mph. Fortunately, I had enough power to pull over to the shoulder in time to keep from getting hit. Some days, I hit the accelerator and the A/C comes on.

I have learned all the back road in town to avoid traffic, as not to get hit or hit anyone. My blood pressure stays high because I'm tensed while driving. I truly fear for my life and my family's life as I drive this vehicle. I can't afford another vehicle at this point. So please, make note that if anything should happen to me or my family, I have plenty of documentation for the lawyer to sue Kia.

Original review: April 19, 2011

My family was hit straight on by truck going opposite direction, the air bags did not deploy. My family was injured, not good at all!

The Fire Department and the Police was also very concerned. This 2010 Kia Rio had 3,000 miles only. Their number is 310.816.9369 (direct number). I called my insurance company right away to get them to tow the vehicle (smoke started, I was concerned about the fire). As of now, the Fire Department states that the car is at a total loss. My mother almost had heart attack. My family had bruises, sore, chronic pain, and sore cavity chest!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2011

When I signed for my Kia, I was told they have tires for life and towing, so I could cancel my towing on my police because Kia would take care of this. I shortly had a flat tire, and I went to Kia to have the tire replaced. I was told, “Oh, no. It is only if your tire is coming apart.” I paid $165.00 for a new one. On February 2, a car hit me. It took off almost my complete front end. I called for a tow, and I was informed they don’t tow for car accidents, only if my car is disabled. Now my car will be fixed in two weeks, and I am paying for the rental and their towing. I was all so told that if I can only use this Kia lot to have my car fixed and no other Kia because they want the money, and my warranty would no longer apply.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2011

I have purchased a great many vehicles in my time, both in used car lots and new car dealerships. I have been treated as badly as I was by the people at KIA of the Bronx. The KIA Corporation will suffer greatly if these are the kind of people they elect to represent them, bait and switch, disrespect, bullying from the manager to the salesman. It's a real disgrace. I really liked the new vehicle I was looking for and the msrp was good, but if that's how they treat you before you spend you certainly won't be treated better after.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2011

The 2000 Kia is under a leak benefit program for tanks from bottom in place for 10 years or 130,000 miles from warranty start date. The closest is Wausau, Wisconsin which is about 125 miles from Iron River, Michigan. They offered to tow the Kia for $300.00, but I can't afford that much.

If the tank isn't fixed, we have no car. I am disabled and it's hard to get around. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2010

Sound and vipration in the automatic transmition "changing from second-third gear", this problem has been repeated several times. During the PMS of 60000 km, the car has returned twice to the service center at Jeddah for the same reason.

It has suffered from the same problem since December 1, 2010 and re-entered repeatedly into the Service Center for the PMS of 80000 km for two weeks. Currently the car is still with them until this moment Dec. 18, 2010.Undoubtedly the above repeated problem shows significant defect in the Gearbox, which requires replacement of the defected parts if not the whole gearbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2010

I had a Kia Sorento 2008. One day, my engine light is on so I called a Kia dealer at Riverside. They told me to bring the car in, did diagnostic, he told me the car needed to upgrade censor. I asked him, "Is it under the warranty?" He said yes. I said go ahead do it. After that for a few days, the engine light came on again. This time it's blinking. I called the Kia dealer again and he told me I have to call a tow truck to tow the car in, so I called road side assistant. They came and took the car to the dealer. I got a call from the dealer. The car needed to change internal engine. He asked me if I have record for the oil change for 3,000 miles. I said I don't have it but I had 30,000 miles major tune up. (Because when I went to do my first 3,000 miles oil change, the odometer showed 3,000 miles, when I went to do the oil change it's jumped to 30,000 miles).

I said how is it possible because I've been monitoring it since it reached to 3,000 miles. I came right away. The lady at the service department at Car Pros (Yuri ***) said, "If you're done doing a major tune up to 30,000 miles, you will be back on warranty." I had to pay $ 800 for that. She said, "I'm okay you back on warranty." Every time the engine light on, I took my car to the dealer. It covered with no problem. Then this time, they declined me because I don't have a 3,000 miles oil change record. Can you tell me the warranty was working every time and then this time it's not covered because I have to change a new engine? Is that fair for me? I believed in that woman who said I'm back to warranty. I don't do anything wrong. I abide by the rule. This is what I get.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2010

My car has been in the shop for a while now. I just want someone to return my call and let me know what is going on and give me an update. I have left Matt several voicemails and have not gotten any return calls. And when I call the dealer I am not getting any answers. They have not called me.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2010

At 691 miles, our new KIA Sorento had its engine replaced due to a crack in the block. Once that was fixed, the engine began to intermittently grind at start up, the transmission started to have issues and we would notice the fuel cutting out on occasions. We took the vehicle back three times to get these issues fixed and they did not repair any of them.

We then had an arbitration meeting in which the decision was made that they would have 30 days to fix the issues with our car. They did not contact us except once in which they left a message with our daughter and I returned the call and left a message, and they did not call back. They then said they had scheduled an appointment with us the day after the 30 days were up and that we agreed to it even though we never actually spoke to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2010

On Nov 7, 2010, the 2008 Kia Sorento airbag suddenly deployed. My wife Kathy was sitting in the driver's seat turned and talking to my youngest son. She felt pain from her abdomen to the left side of her face. The vehicle was not running, the keys were not in the ignition and there wasn't Kia's solution replace the airbag system. My wife was getting ready to go home without children 5 minutes later. This would have happened going down road. I was told by Mr. ** that "Kia does not deal with hypothetical situations or what if's."

Original review: Nov. 15, 2010

I had a 2003 Used KIA spectra with 120000k and run perfect. I used to work to have fun, til now I already put more than 60000k miles more and run outstanding, over all. Buying my Kia spectra was the best thing I have done. Thanks Kia for making strong cars.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2010

I purchased a brand new Kia Sorento 2.2 CRD in January 2010. The vehicle had its first service in July 2010. On August 2010, I noted that the front wheels/tires were worn. Whilst driving, the vehicle developed a mind of its own and applied brakes on its own as well as steering on its own. I took the vehicle to the closest local dealership where they diagnosed the back arm bushes as worn, they indicated that they needed to order the parts from Korea. Two months later I am still without a vehicle and the dealership refused to provide a courtesy vehicle. I had to contact the South African headquarters that provided a Hyundai Getz as a courtesy vehicle, which is a far cry from what I bought. For the past two months I have been without the luxury of what I thought I have bought, furthermore I am paying for a Sorento whilst driving a Getz!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2010

I bought a 2008 Kia Spectra with approximately 41,000 miles on it from Saturn of Houston. After only two weeks of using the car, the engine light came on. The business went out of business October 31.

I took the car to Family Kia in Dickinson, Texas, for repairs. The car has been in the shop for a week and the car is still not fixed. Kia tech support has been involved and keep giving me and them the runaround. They want email letters, want to try all these things to fix it including a new computer system and still not fixed. I asked for a car to use from the dealership I took it to and to get from Kia and I have been told it covers a rental car under extended warranty but not the regular warranty. I am fed up with all this bull crap and the run around about the car. Now the Kia tech support wants them to try the wiring and see if that is it.

So the car is tied up some more. Somebody between Kia tech support and the mechanic ought to be able to solve the problem and I should be able to use a loaner car until it is taken care of especially since they don't want the answer is. The dealership who went out of business said they didn't sell me a junk car and there is nothing they could do about it. The never told me the Kia did not cover a rental car under the warranty from the factory nor did they explain an extended warranty. Between the dealer I took it to, the dealership that sold it to me, and the main one Kia, I am getting a total run around and excuses about why from all sides.

I asked for the owner of Family Kia to call me and I was told he didn't make phone calls to customers and that he was tied up with other things. Someone has to assist me with this. I have to have my car as I do market research that requires transportation and I am losing money by not having a car. Also, the car was purchased with a down payment I gave as well as Texas Air Check. If it can't be fixed give, me a new Kia in its place or a car of equal value in another make.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2010

I have a Kia Sorento (2008) and my steering wheel airbag went off while the vehicle was parked. It was not in an accident of any kind. My son was waiting for someone, just sitting there listening to the radio when it went off.

The Kia "contact" that I have does not keep me informed of anything that is going on; the dealership that is trying to fix the vehicle is more informative than Kia themselves. I was told that when the steering wheel airbag went off, the knee airbag was supposed to go off at the same time and that never happened. I am very apprehensive about taking this vehicle back, what if it happens again? Kia will not give any type of guarantee with the fix they are planning to do. I already asked, and I also told them that I was nervous about driving the vehicle. They are going to change the airbag, wiring and the computer module. I am still concerned about this, what if it happens again while driving?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2010

I bought in a 2007 Kia Rio from this dealer. After 3 years, the hood started to rust. We took it to the dealer several times. The manager accused me of replacing the hood or it was in a wreck. He would not honor the rust warranty. It was missing the emission stick on the hood. That is their reason for not honoring the rust warranty. If this hood continues to rust, we will have to replace it at our expense.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2010

I've always paid my bill on time, that is, until Hyundai Finance took over. They called my house 10-15 times a day until my payment is cleared. They will begin to start calling within 1-2 days past the date in which Hyundai changed to suit them. I never had this problem with KIA.

KIA never told me I would be sending my payments to anyone but them. I am being charged anywhere from $47-$50.00 per month for late charges that I should not owe. Also, when my husband and I went to purchase the car, the dealer ran our credit and decided to put the loan in my name, because he could get a higher interest rate on my name. KIA told me that I would pay the car off in 5 years. The price of the car was around $25,000. I've paid $497.00 a month for 4.4 years ($26,242) and I still owe $10,000. Please help me! They've called my job after I begged them not to do so. They call my house any time of the day or night so many times that I can't keep up with the times. I've had to go on nerve pills for anxiety attacks. I'm nervous all the time.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2010

I purchased a 2005 Kia Rio on 11/10/04 and was also talked into the extra warranty from Performance for $1295. I had to put two transmissions in the vehicle. Since I did not have the paperwork from the mechanic telling that I had a transmission flush at 60,000, no one would cover the transmission. I paid $1275 for a used transmission from them and that lasted 6 weeks and had to have that one replaced. I did not know about this site or would have written sooner. I have put in over 4,000 dollars into this vehicle in repairs and I do not have the vehicle anymore; it had to go back since I could not afford to keep putting repairs into the vehicle. I am out lots of money and no vehicle. If there is anything you could do for me could you please let me know? I realize I cannot get all of the money back but I do believe something could be done.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2010

I purchased a KIA Sorento in September 2006. Last winter, I put my 4-wheel drive on to get out of snow. It would go out of 4 wheel drive so it had to be towed and I was without a car for a week. On October 12, 2010, my car stalled and the check engine light came on. I took it to a garage and was told it was the camshaft sensor. I called Kia and was told, “Too bad, your warranty was up September 30. Also, when it rain hard, I get water in the truck which I was also told, “Too bad, your warranty was up September 30.” I no longer have faith in my truck and I will never buy another Kia and I will make sure no one I know will buy Kia.

I have to pay for everything out of pocket. I broke down with a 6-week-old grandson in the truck. I have been crying for days trying to come up with the money to pay with no help from Kia.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2010

I purchased a Kia Soul Ignition Special Edition 2. The window sticker stated that it should have the audio upgrade package (center speaker, a subwoofer, an external amplifier and the lighted speakers). The car does not have the lighted speakers or the hardware for it. When the VIN number on the car is accessed, the warranty validation screen shows that the vehicle should have AG for audio package and an Au for audio upgrade package, both installed at the factory level.

Mark states that there was an error and that a new window sticker should have been put on the vehicle. This problem is the dealer’s problem. When I contacted the dealer, they knew nothing about a "new" window sticker. Needless to say, this started in early August and I still do not have a resolution. Mark had offered to refund the amount of the audio package. The problem I have is that I purchased a vehicle with all the items on the window sticker and that is not what I received. I have questioned Kia customer care several times, read articles from Kia and car sites, and called other dealers. Everything I have read and have been told states that the Special Edition Soul is to have the lighted speakers. That is one of the gimmicks of the Special Edition. The dealer has been very co-operative.

I have had to take the vehicle to the dealer several times for pictures. I had a rental for almost a week. The rental had manual doors and windows, which would not have been a problem had I not been recovering from a shoulder surgery (left shoulder). I feel I paid for a vehicle and did not receive the vehicle I paid for.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2010

I bought a 2010 Kia Soul in July 2010. Two and half months and less than 3,000 miles later, I get the notice about the speaker recall. The next day, my check engine light comes on. I call the dealership to set up an appointment to get both issues fixed, and I'm told that they no longer have service hours on Saturdays and that their business hours during the week are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. I told the service manager there was no possible way for me to bring the car in during those hours. I work full-time, and I cannot afford to take a day off to have my car fixed. I asked if there was any way for me to get a loaner car or have a rental paid for. I was told that I needed to "figure it out" and that this is the "real world."

Original review: Sept. 25, 2010

Kia refuses to honor the warranty on my 2007 Kia Rondo which was less than 3 years old and had less than 46,000 miles on it when the problems occurred. On May 17, 2010, the car was dropped off at Covina Valley Kia for an oil change. Repair was also to be done to the front passenger arm rest because of a loud snapping noise it made whenever it was touched, and to have the air conditioner repaired because it had just begun blowing hot air at random intervals. The car was picked up that evening.

The oil change had been done, the replacement arm rest was in order, and we were told that the air conditioning was fixed by replacing the cabin air filter. May 18 and most of May 10 were too cool to use the air conditioning, but on the afternoon of May 19 it warmed up. I turned on the air conditioner and again it started blowing hot air after a few minutes of use. I called Covina Valley Kia on Thursday, May 20. I spoke with Jon ** and arranged to bring the car in to be repaired that evening. They had the car until the evening of Wednesday, May 26. When I picked it up, Jon ** told me that they had replaced the compressor assembly and an expansion valve. He stated the problem is fixed.

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I drove the car to Palm Springs. The air conditioning alternated between blowing cold air and extremely hot air. On Monday, June 1, I called and spoke with Jon ** again. I let him know the problem was not resolved and arranged to bring the car back for the third time on June 2. I received the car back on the evening of June 4 after Jon and his service technician informed me that it is normal behavior for the air conditioning to stop working when it is hot. I argued that this has not been the normal behavior for this vehicle in the 35 months I have owned it.

They refused to fix the problem. Immediately upon picking up the car on June 4, I called Kia Customer Care and spoke with Karen ** who opened case #**to address the issue. Since it was shortly after 5pm Pacific time, we agreed that a reasonable time for her to investigate the issue and provide a solution would be the following Tuesday, June 8. On Tuesday, June 8 at approximately 1:25pm I received a phone call from Karen. She informed me the dealership has not responded to her and that she would get an answer for me within another day. She did not call back.

Over the weekend of June 12-13, the air conditioning continued to blow hot air for several minutes at random intervals both Saturday and Sunday. I noted the engine temperature gauge was registering below the half way point each time the hot air would start to blow. I called Karen at approximately 6:15am Pacific time on Monday morning June 14 to find out the progress and to let her know I am very angry and want a resolution. She did not answer and I left a voice mail. Three hours later I have not received a return call and tried to call her again. The phone rang multiple times and then went to her voice mail. Rather than leave another voice mail, I pressed 0 and was connected to Robin.

I explained the situation and my frustration. She said she would try to reach Karen and put me on hold for several minutes. When she came back, she said Karen had been in for a couple of hours, but that she wasn't answering. I asked to have the call escalated. Robin told me that a manager would respond within 48-72 business hours. I replied that I was unwilling to wait another 48-72 business hours and demanded she connect me to her supervisor.

She connected me to Tom **, who was uncooperative and downright rude. He told me to call another dealer, take the car in and let them fix it. I asked about a loaner car since I have been without my car for over 9 days out of the past month. He said they don't do loaner cars unless the district manager, Joe **, approves it. I asked him to call Joe ** and get approval, but he refused. He told me that once I have dropped off the car to a dealership, they can call Mr. ** and he can decide then. I asked him if I understood correctly that I was to take my car to another dealership with no alternate means of transportation, leave it there and wait for hours while they try to determine whether they will provide a loaner car or not, whether they can fix the defect or not, and how long it will take them.

He said I understood correctly. I then called and spoke with the service manager at El Monte Kia to arrange to bring my car in. I said I wanted to drop it off and get a loaner or rental. He said they don't do that. I asked him to contact Joe ** and he said he would and that he would call me back. He called back at approximately 11:00AM. I was on another call so it went to voice mail. In the voice mail, he asked me to call back because he didn't want to leave the information in a voice mail.

I returned his call within 10 minutes. He stated that Joe ** wanted to know who gave him my name, that they don't give loaner cars or rental cars as a customer accommodation until they can diagnose the problem, and that I should take the car back to Covina Valley Kia and let them figure out what's wrong. I replied that since Covina Valley Kia has had my car for 9 of the past 28 days and they say we won't do anything else to it because that's the way it's supposed to behave, returning it to them is not an option. Troy at El Monte Kia agreed to make an appointment for Saturday morning of June 19 at 10:30AM. He said I will have to take him on a test drive until the behavior replicates.

I then called Kia Customer Care for the 4th time today. I spoke with Albert who refused to provide me the name of the next person above Tom ** and connected me to Tom again. I relayed to Tom what Troy at El Monte Kia had said. He finally showed some concern about the poor customer service and agreed to escalate this ticket to the district management office. He set an expectation that I should allow two business days for them to research the issue and get back to me. Kia refused to honor the warranty and check any further into the cause of the failing air conditioning.

Throughout the summer it has continued to fail 2-10 times each week for intervals ranging from 2 to 47 minutes. I took the car into Kia El Monte again on Saturday, September 25 because the car was having trouble starting in the morning. I again asked them to check on the air conditioning as well. Two hours later, they called and told me the problem with the car starting is because of the throttle body, but that it is not covered by the 5 year 60,000 bumper to bumper warranty. They also stated that they can find nothing wrong with the air conditioning.

The frustration of Kia failing to honor the warranty on this vehicle has increased my stress level and my doctor has started me on high blood pressure medication. I still have a car I cannot trust to drive for more than a local trip during warm weather because I never know when the A/C will fail and for how long. I have had to waste many hours of time taking this car back and forth to the dealerships for an issue which they should have fixed the first time.

Kia Company Information