2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

3.9/5 (1801 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Kia

Founded in 1944, Kia Motors is South Korea's oldest car manufacturer. Read reviews for their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Kia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia?

Original review: April 5, 2021

BUYER BEWARE!! This is intended to strongly express a ZERO rating of Corporate Kia, as they refuse to stand by their products and are hurting their dealerships in the process. We have recently become part of a VERY large group of Kia vehicle owners with known defective engines and Corporate Kia refuses to rectify the issue of their poor quality!! We own a Forte with ~79K miles on it that is well kept. When the engine just recently began a loud "knocking" sound and a timely engine recall notification came to us, we brought it to Kia.

After charging us $135 for a diagnostics fee and having our vehicle for literally two weeks (stating that Corporate Kia had been hacked and their systems were in disarray), only to ultimately tell us the engine recall issue DID NOT apply and it would cost us $8,250 for them to put in a USED engine!! Yes, $8,250!! They also stated that our vehicle had been serviced by Kia all along, but that the engine was junk?!? There are many Kia models already in lawsuit settlements for this defective engine issue that surfaces later on, but it is not on the Forte yet. Do a simple Google search and you will discover this. If you're thinking of purchasing, please do your research first, as there are many other car manufacturers out there who do not have this devastating design defect that leaves the owners with big $$$ expenses and no recourse. How Corporate Kia can ignore their consumers and poor quality like this is highly unethical and is why I am posting this!

Original review: March 23, 2021

My Name is Freddy. My first time purchasing a car, they act like they doing you a favor and they are your best friend, once they feed you all these lies and you shake the hand and pay you are no longer a priority to KIA. Whoever is not busy will help and they dont know anything because they send a person in training or doesnt know much of the job, I must say but KIA sucks. I will never ever buy a car at KIA. I dont care what lies they sell.

I got a brand 2019 kia Sorento in 2020. Due to the snow and ice I hit another car from behind. Now State Farm is another problem. They sent a towing company to pick up my car so now I want my car fixed so another towing company picks up my car from the first towing company and they delivered my car to the body shop at night when it's closed. Now they called me at 8pm. "I have your car. The bodyshop is closed. What would you like me to do with your car," uh hello I dont work for state farm or kia. So it took a month for me to get my lease car to a body shop. State farm has paid $1000 for my rental. That's great. I thought the car would be fixed by then.

We are in MARCH 23. My car is not fix. I am paying out of pocket for a Hertz rental $28 a day. KIA can not do anything for me. It's not my car. It's a lease. It's KIA's car. I'm using it for 3 years. The car accident happen FEBRUARY 6. Here we are and still I dont have my car. I am 6ft 200 pds driving a Chevy spark, cheapest car they had, I work every day. I live pay check to paycheck. I work at a church and I cant get no help from no one because everyone wants money that i dont have.....KIA KARMA is around the corner.

Original review: March 13, 2021

Got this car in a lease in 2017 from a very bad Kia dealership in Fort Walton Beach Florida. Continuously kept up with oil changes. The rear tail light on the driver side malfunctioned or I had to replace it twice because the seal was not staying sealed. Then I’d PCS to Hawaii 105 thousand miles. And with no notification the car stops running. Take it to the dealership and they said, "Oh well I’m sorry. You’re 5000 miles over the warranty." So there’s nothing that I can do. It’s $15,000 for a new motor. Very discouraging From dealership and Kia consumer affairs. Do not buy any Kia vehicles.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I bought a 2021 KIA Stinger and they have an Important Safety Recall. I have been on the phone with the Service Manager at KIA in Frederick, Maryland a few times today and I have been on the phone with the KIA business office most of the day, trying to get a loaner car till they can fix my car which is not till Monday. They are REFUSING to give me loaner car. I have a fulltime job and a 3 year old and they are just flat out saying we will not get or give you a loaner car. I am so upset that they are holding me to get a rent a car for a RECALL they have. The service manager at the KIA in Frederick, MD is so rude and nasty she has no right being in the customer service field. I have never been spoken to as I have been spoken to today by both the service manager and the recall department at the business office.

I have reached out to the BBB and I am now speaking an attorney just in case my car breaks out in flames. The paperwork clearly states the following "Park your vehicle outdoors and away from other vehicles or stretchers until you have the recall performed". And they still will not give me a loaner. This is unacceptable. I hope anyone that is looking to buy a car stays clear from KIA automobiles.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I have a 2014 Kia Sorento. The first year and a half the car ran great without any problems. Since then I’ve had to replace the alternator, the serpentine belt, the fuel injection system, oil pan gaskets, and now a radio that is also my backup camera display and Bluetooth. I’ve always done my service checks, synthetic oil like is recommended, etc. I’m beyond frustrated that every single one of these have gone bad and somehow, every single time Kia has said it’s not covered under their warranty. The car is only 6 years old and less that 100k miles even at this point! This radio has been reported thousands of times on these vehicles and is still not included in any recalls. It will be over $700 to fix. I’ve already spent thousands replacing things that would’ve been covered under other car manufacturers. Nobody would even consider buying this vehicle if they knew the issues beforehand. Please be wary!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I purchased a 2017 Kia Sedona from a Kia dealer in Queens, NY in 2017 with 50 miles. The car is perfect for my family of six as it is roomy and the LX model offered enough accommodations which made it easy to travel with five children. I was very happy with my vehicle and Kia until recently. I had an engine malfunction while driving on a highway with a relative and my children.

It was New Year's Eve 12/31/20, and I decided to take my sister and children shopping at a store that was about ten miles away. We live in the Suburbs which can get rural in some areas and in order to get to this one store, in particular, I had to take a highway to travel there. When I initially started the car I heard a rattling sound which I thought was due to the cold weather, however, as I drove off and drove further and approached the highway the car started to decelerate. After the car decelerated the car cut off while I was driving. In a panic, I started the car again and pulled over to the side. I had to repeat turning the car on, the car shutting off and decelerating, turning the car on, and drive ten miles to return back home.

The very next day 1/1/2021 I had the car towed to the dealership that handled my lease buyout. The service manager was nice exhibited professionalism and willing to offer exceptional services to ensure that my car was repaired and that I understood the repair process. He informed of charges that would be incurred if the warranty was not covered by Kia. So everything at the dealer was done with professionalism and courtesy.

The problem that I experienced with Kia was and is that they are not honoring the warranty. The Service Manager indicated that receipts were required to document oil changes performed on the 2017 Kia Sedona to ensure that maintenance was performed routinely. I provided receipts that were kept from service performed from Kia dealerships, however, was unable to produce enough receipts for Kia to honor the warranty. I contacted the Kia Customer Service which represents corporate, the customer services representatives I spoke with exhibited professionalism and advised me to try to get receipts of purchases of oil for any oil changes done outside of a service shop. However, I am unable to. So here I am one and a half months without a car, I am renting a car while paying my monthly finance bill, and I believe Kia will not honor my warranty because of lack of receipts of oil changes.

I also find it ironic that I had the car serviced in November 2020 at a Kia dealership and they are not honoring the repairs. I hope that this issue is not an issue with the Sedona as I had around 65,000 miles on the car at the time the engine malfunctioned. I did check another website United States Department of Transportation Traffic Safety Administration where recently a consumer reported the same issue. I pray that this is not the beginning of an issue like Kia experienced with the Kia class engine failure class-action lawsuit in 2019. Although I love the Kia Sedona I probably will not purchase another Kia if the company does not offer reasonable solutions for this matter.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. Got this car for my daughter who’s paid this note since 2015- car almost paid off only owes $2900. Contacted them in December 2020 for a two month extension being my daughter lost her job due to COVID. January told by Kia rep that everything was good to go- no payment due till February. Today she’s notified her payment is over 30 days past due. When my daughter called Kia the reps said there was a glitch and refused to put a supervisor on.

So I called and I was told the extension didn’t go through because the system tapped out (whatever that means)! Meanwhile not one person corrected this so called tapped out error on their part or contacted either one of us to let us know anything new needs done! This doesn’t make any sense what’s so ever! So then they said the $675 that’s now past due needs paid so my daughter paid it- I requested a supervisor or manager and then was told they don’t have one In the building! Again- WHAT! I have never heard of such insanity!

I tried to see how to file a corporate complaint but of course that’s no use because when I tried to ask I’m told to log onto KIA- I log onto KIA and now the account is locked! So now all though my account going past 30 days isn’t anyone’s fault but Kia’s they will probably have the audacity to send this to my credit bureaus against me when it’s clearly their own error! Just awful! I will NEVER get another Kia vehicle again in my life and neither will my daughter- damn sure won’t ever Finance anything through them again! None of them know what they are doing and I suppose it’s because as stated by the rep no supervisor or manager is ever present in the building!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I tried to use it for a flat tire after working late. New cars don't have a spare. They were only going to take my car to a location in the county where I work leaving me stuck with no way to get home or to get my car. A coworker said I could still drive home. I decided not to use Kia, drove home, put air in the tire at a gas station the next morning and went to a tire store to get it repaired.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Reported coolant leak on Oct. 27, 2020. Took car to Doug Smith Kia on Nov. 6, 2020 and picked up loaner vehicle. Nov. 18, 2020 took loaner back and picked up our Sorento. Got Sorento home, within five miles, and noticed that coolant leak had not been fixed. Took vehicle back to dealer, same day, and got another loaner car. Nov. 24, 2020 picked up Sorento again and drove for a few days. After each use strong coolant smell was detected and coolant level in overflow and radiator down. Dec. 3, 2020 took Sorento back to dealer for third time and it has been there ever since, over 4 weeks now. Have NOT been contacted by dealer for update or status. Contacted KIA USA and was given a case number. KIA USA indicated they would intervene and try and help resolve issue with Sorento.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

So, when I purchased by car from the Kia dealership, the finance manager told me that the $19K I would be financing would be at 6% interest, even though the advertised rate on their site is .9 to 2.9% and I was leaving a down payment of $11K. I balked. Well, they got it down to 4.5% and the finance manager said Kia corporate set the rates and it was out of his hands. I signed the papers even though I still wasn't happy with the %. The finance manager failed to charge my credit card before I left so legally/technically I could have said I already paid the down payment and all I would have had to do was show the signed papers. However, I'm not that kind of person.

I did phone Kia Corporate Finance the very next day and spoke to 4 different Finance Supervisors at various times in the morning and they all told me the same story: The dealership sets the tiers and the interest rate on car loans. I phoned the dealership and the Finance Manager told me that whoever I was speaking with was wrong. Well, I went back and forth for a while between Corporate Finance and the Dealership, not getting a straight, verifiable answer from either party. I threatened to return the car.

The finance manager again said it was Kia preventing them from lowering the rate. He finally got all of my credit scores from 3 reporting agencies (782) for all of them and was able to talk Kia into lowering the rate to 3.25% (weirdly on his report, it shows my credit score as 702 from TransUnion. I have no idea where he was getting his info). I still don't know who was being untruthful but I'll never buy another Kia product. If this is the way the company treats their customers, I would advise you to avoid them as well.

Kia Company Information