3.39/5

66 Kawasaki Motors Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 4, 2017

I purchased a used teryx 750 4x4 2008 that appeared to be in good condition. Ran fine at first then it began to make drivetrain noise. I figured it was due for a drive belt so I purchased a 97 dollar belt and a 400 dollar clutch rebuild kit. Nothing I did had any effect so I took it to the nearest dealer while it was running and was told it was not worth fixing. Now I am stuck with a 6000 push cart. I have rode and repaired Harley Davidson for 30 years and have never encountered one that is not worth repairing. Beware of these foreign revenge machines as they could care less if you are stuck with a pile of junk. I am disabled and unable to afford anything else so be more vigilant than me and buy new products and do your research on their reliability. I hope I can help others avoid a mistake of this magnitude because I am unable to walk without assistance, thus leaving me unable to keep poachers off my land.

Original review: April 14, 2016

I have a 2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250. Since the day I got it after only 4 days of riding it, it started leaking oil and has had a sputter. These are the worst four-wheelers kawasaki has made. I wont be buying anymore atvs from them. I have a 1999 honda 300 fourtrax 4x4 that runs and drives better than kawasaki. The kawasaki also has started acting like if you tried to go fast it wont go but like 20mph. If you're wanting a nice atv I suggest Honda!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I purchased a new mule a few months ago and now have almost 50 hours on it. So far, a superbly engineered product. Very quiet and smooth riding. Excellent ergonomics and comfort. Built extremely well. The ability to convert from 1 row to 2 rows cannot be more simple and makes it so nice to take guests to the lake. My wife and entire family enjoy it and find it extremely useful here on our farm. The peace of mind knowing it's reliable and comes with such a great warranty made it an easy decision. Knowing hard working folks in Nebraska built it made it even more enjoyable to drive. Thankful I didn't purchase a CanAm, Polaris, or Arctic Cat, whose reliability and engineering problems never seem to cease.

Original review: March 22, 2015

Mule FTX LE wheel problem. I got my mule the first day a rock got between the aluminum wheel and brake, it hole a hole in the wheel. The dealer said it was the first time they seen this. They covered it under warranty. The third day I road my Mule, it happen to the other side (both back wheels). I hope they cover this too. They will have to change some thing to solve this problem.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I have had 2008 Kawasaki z1000 (10k miles), 2007 zx14 (9k miles - cross country), 2005 z1000 and 2008 zx10r, 2003 Vulcan 1600, and 2008 mean streak. All were excellent bikes except zx10r there were absolutely no issues. Zx10r, had issues with electrical system for which Kawasaki did do recall and issue was fixed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kawasaki?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

2013 kx450f - Problem # 1. Bought at Berts Mega Mall. And took advantage of me on the closing cost (my bad, but still sucks). Don't buy from Berts. JUST DON'T. 2. Had to replace fork seals 3 times in last 2 years. I think it is because of the air forks. No idea. 3. Developed flat spots and bent spokes after truing my wheel every other ride (had to replace the wheels 3 months after i bought it). 4. Oil filter cap broke apart inside of housing. Result was buying a aftermarket one. 6 months of purchase 5. Subframe bent after racing and falling (more my problem but still). 6. Chain adjuster bolt froze in swing arm after 1 year of riding. (I ain't a goon or squid I've been racing for a while and probably faster than most, so I know bike maintenance). 7. Bent rear rotor. 8. Bent front rotor. AND NOW MY FAVORITE ** THING! 9. After riding it this weekend!!! I need a new TOP and BOTTOM end... the result SPUN ** MAIN BEARING. Sounds like a power stroke diesel now!!! Suhweet!! 1100 to 1800 dollar job to fix... OH BEST PART is had a 2 year warranty on the engine. Bought the bike in November of 2012. You do the math.. SOL.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

Kawasaki Teryx4 ESP - At any speed other than just crawling the drive-train noise is deafening. I and any riders have to wear ear plugs to be in this machine. You can't even hear the engine over the whining coming from the drive train. I had taken it to the dealer where I had bought it and was told that the noise was normal for that machine. It is totally unacceptable and no one in my family wants to ride in it for any period of time. I paid good money for this and it just sits because of the noise.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I have owned three Mules in succession; a circa 1990 2510, a 1996 2510, and now have a 2005 3010 with 990 hours. There has been a rust in the gas problem to a greater or lesser extent in all three, but will constrain my comments to the most recent events.

As Roye (and others) I first noticed a drop in performance in the form of engine "dying" and early on, realized it was a fuel starvation problem. After checking the plastic in line fuel filter to make sure it was OK and gently blowing out the fill tube to make sure it was clear, I then consulted the Service manual, which I have purchased with each Mule. While a fuel pump can be the cause, the symptoms were not quite right and the fuel pump checked out OK.

I concluded some dirt, etc had gotten into the carb and reluctantly took a long trip with it on a trailer to a dealer. Their solution was to clean the carburetor, flush the fuel system and put in a new fuel pump. That worked for about 30 more hours and then the symptoms returned. After going over everything again that I could myself to no avail, I took it to a local general mechanic repair shop with carb cleaning capability. He cleaned the carb and as a precaution against possible failing of the fuel pump, replaced that spendy little part, as the dealer had.

While suspecting the replacement of the fuel pump was overkill again, it should be noted testing the output of the pump is not a clear call either way. To my surprise, however, my mechanic asked, "Did you know there is a second very fine mesh cone-shaped fuel filter hidden in the brass inlet fitting on the top of the carburetor?" I was shocked as I had taken off the fuel line several times in the course of my investigations looking for such a thing and had not observed the very small annular ring at the very tip of the inlet port. Lo and behold, the very extra fuel filter I had looked for and missed was right there, snuggled inside the inlet fitting!

About another thirty more hours of use brought on the symptoms again, but it took me all of two minutes or so to raise the bed, squeeze the little clamp along the fuel hose with my Leatherman tool, twist the fuel hose to break the seal to the brass fitting and remove the hose from the fitting. Then I used the needle nose pliers part of my Leatherman to gently grasp the annular ring of the little filter and ease it out of the brass fitting. Sure enough, it was chocked full of small rust particles. By holding the filter in the air with the large end down over a white paper sack, all of the rust particles tumbled out and were easily seen without even using a fuel varnish remover, etc., I replaced the filter, put everything back together, and the Mule started right off and purred at idle as new.

As stated above, the little filter is not only not shown in the 2005 Owner's manual, it is not in the 2005 Service Manual. Having extensive engineering/management experience in situations just like this, my conclusion is Kawasaki probably realized early on they had a rusty gas tank problem in some of their units, most likely due to a root cause associated with the coating on the inside of the tank. Since the problem tended to show up after the one year warranty period, they were off the hook except for extended warranties. Someone, somewhere with a bean counter mentality, made the decision to low key the presence of the problem by putting in the very inexpensive "band-aid corrective action” of the little filter which even if its presence wasn't known, would get cleaned with the top of the carburetor, by a dealer of repair shop.

I have not checked with my dealer to see if a bulletin was ever issued to them by Kawasaki, but plan to before trading up to a newer model. I think they have gone to plastic tanks now. In fairness to Kawasaki, intermittent occurrence of long term rust development in a gas tank is a difficult one to prevent. However, it was frustrating for me to have to find out about the little filter after numerous frustrating hours of usage and purchase of expensive, unneeded fuel pumps. This could have been handled much better and saved customers hundreds if not thousands of hours and dollars, but I suppose the fear of litigation has ruled the day for them. Sad indeed, but I hope this review, even belatedly helps Roye and others on forums which I have just found.

Original review: June 19, 2014

We bought a zero turn mower with a Kawasaki motor for 2013 mowing season and when we were preparing for the 2014 season we discovered three of the bolts to the motor were either broken off or missing. We had a good friend with a Hustler Super Z with a Kawasaki motor that did the same thing. Our local dealer for Gravely (town less than 4,000) said they had had 3 others in the shop for the same thing. We don't know if Kawasaki is using too soft a metal for the bolts or what the problem is, but wish someone would figure it out.

Original review: June 5, 2014

2005 Kawasaki mule - Gas pedal stuck on factory fastener in floorboard. Vehicle was out of control, brakes would not stop it. Ran Into tree, threw me off completely into spinning accelerated wheel in gravel, resulting in multiple lacerations, bruises, hematoma.

Kawasaki Motors Company Information