2.38/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Kawasaki Motors

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 6, 2017

51 Kawasaki Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I bought a 2013 Kawasaki Tyrex 750 in 2014 as a holdover149442. With about 325 miles on the machine it overheated. When I took it into the dealer where I bought it, they said it was due to mud being in the radiator. The heat melted the wire harness and the engine got so hot it melted the dip stick. No worries it was under warranty right. Well now it has about 1300 miles on it and the extended warranty I had expired two months ago. So now a bearing went bad and the exact same dealership (Bangor Motorsports, Bangor Maine) is saying it's due to dirt getting into the engine. So now I'm stuck with a machine that has had nothing but issues.

Oh I did call Kawasaki direct and they say, "Sorry, unless it's some sort of malfunction we can't help you." Well hello seems like there is a malfunction somewhere. At speeds over 25 mph you can't even talk to the passenger due to the engine noise. I should have sold it when I first had a chance but I would have just stuck somebody else with a piece of junk. I will not be buying another Kawasaki. I love my new Can Am commander.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I like that the Kawasaki is well built and easy to control. It doesn't try to kill me like my other ATVs and it doesn't give me any issues with the engine. However, I really hate the color of my Kawasaki, but when I'm not being lazy, I can change that myself.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 21, 2017

We have owned different models and brands and find Kawasaki to be very reliable. I like the stability and the sturdiness of the product and the safety features. I feel confident in any member of my family riding or handling the vehicle. Handling an ATV is easy once you get used to the dimensions and speed and mobility of your vehicle. It is most important to be sure you are handling and riding your vehicle in a safe and responsible manner. The vehicle can be ridden on different types of terrains easily and can perform well in most weather conditions. It is great for family use and for entering competitions. We have had very few problems and have had very few repairs. Great product, great manufacturer. I would just like the product to constantly be upgraded and updated to safety and reliability standards.

Original review: May 15, 2017

The ATV is a superbly engineered product, very quiet, provides a smooth riding experience. I have tried other before and I can say this one is by far the best I have tried yet. It is simple once you get used to it. For example the start and the handling can go rough if do not control it, also it can cause a few minor accidents when you're handling it for the first time. Some users are complaining about leaking oil and motor failing above 50 mph, but this is not my case. The product is fully functional, would buy it again. There are still some rooms for improvement and considering the history of the company, more innovations are on its way.

Original review: April 5, 2017

2016 Kawasaki Teryx - Excess noise, terrible. In the overall questionnaire that Kawasaki emailed I filled it out with my noise complaint to buy it back. I only had 10 miles on it... It's in camo so I bought it to take hunting and camping. I have had mini bikes, motorcycles, quads and this side by side is too noisy. Looks great, lots of power... Please is there a lemon law? I can't believe the Kawasaki engineers built this to sell. No one ever got back to me....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kawasaki?

Original review: April 4, 2017

I purchased a used teryx 750 4x4 2008 that appeared to be in good condition. Ran fine at first then it began to make drivetrain noise. I figured it was due for a drive belt so I purchased a 97 dollar belt and a 400 dollar clutch rebuild kit. Nothing I did had any effect so I took it to the nearest dealer while it was running and was told it was not worth fixing. Now I am stuck with a 6000 push cart. I have rode and repaired Harley Davidson for 30 years and have never encountered one that is not worth repairing. Beware of these foreign revenge machines as they could care less if you are stuck with a pile of junk. I am disabled and unable to afford anything else so be more vigilant than me and buy new products and do your research on their reliability. I hope I can help others avoid a mistake of this magnitude because I am unable to walk without assistance, thus leaving me unable to keep poachers off my land.

Original review: April 14, 2016

I have a 2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250. Since the day I got it after only 4 days of riding it, it started leaking oil and has had a sputter. These are the worst four-wheelers kawasaki has made. I wont be buying anymore atvs from them. I have a 1999 honda 300 fourtrax 4x4 that runs and drives better than kawasaki. The kawasaki also has started acting like if you tried to go fast it wont go but like 20mph. If you're wanting a nice atv I suggest Honda!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I purchased a new mule a few months ago and now have almost 50 hours on it. So far, a superbly engineered product. Very quiet and smooth riding. Excellent ergonomics and comfort. Built extremely well. The ability to convert from 1 row to 2 rows cannot be more simple and makes it so nice to take guests to the lake. My wife and entire family enjoy it and find it extremely useful here on our farm. The peace of mind knowing it's reliable and comes with such a great warranty made it an easy decision. Knowing hard working folks in Nebraska built it made it even more enjoyable to drive. Thankful I didn't purchase a CanAm, Polaris, or Arctic Cat, whose reliability and engineering problems never seem to cease.

Original review: March 22, 2015

Mule FTX LE wheel problem. I got my mule the first day a rock got between the aluminum wheel and brake, it hole a hole in the wheel. The dealer said it was the first time they seen this. They covered it under warranty. The third day I road my Mule, it happen to the other side (both back wheels). I hope they cover this too. They will have to change some thing to solve this problem.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I have had 2008 Kawasaki z1000 (10k miles), 2007 zx14 (9k miles - cross country), 2005 z1000 and 2008 zx10r, 2003 Vulcan 1600, and 2008 mean streak. All were excellent bikes except zx10r there were absolutely no issues. Zx10r, had issues with electrical system for which Kawasaki did do recall and issue was fixed.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

2013 kx450f - Problem # 1. Bought at Berts Mega Mall. And took advantage of me on the closing cost (my bad, but still sucks). Don't buy from Berts. JUST DON'T. 2. Had to replace fork seals 3 times in last 2 years. I think it is because of the air forks. No idea. 3. Developed flat spots and bent spokes after truing my wheel every other ride (had to replace the wheels 3 months after i bought it). 4. Oil filter cap broke apart inside of housing. Result was buying a aftermarket one. 6 months of purchase 5. Subframe bent after racing and falling (more my problem but still). 6. Chain adjuster bolt froze in swing arm after 1 year of riding. (I ain't a goon or squid I've been racing for a while and probably faster than most, so I know bike maintenance). 7. Bent rear rotor. 8. Bent front rotor. AND NOW MY FAVORITE ** THING! 9. After riding it this weekend!!! I need a new TOP and BOTTOM end... the result SPUN ** MAIN BEARING. Sounds like a power stroke diesel now!!! Suhweet!! 1100 to 1800 dollar job to fix... OH BEST PART is had a 2 year warranty on the engine. Bought the bike in November of 2012. You do the math.. SOL.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

Kawasaki Teryx4 ESP - At any speed other than just crawling the drive-train noise is deafening. I and any riders have to wear ear plugs to be in this machine. You can't even hear the engine over the whining coming from the drive train. I had taken it to the dealer where I had bought it and was told that the noise was normal for that machine. It is totally unacceptable and no one in my family wants to ride in it for any period of time. I paid good money for this and it just sits because of the noise.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I have owned three Mules in succession; a circa 1990 2510, a 1996 2510, and now have a 2005 3010 with 990 hours. There has been a rust in the gas problem to a greater or lesser extent in all three, but will constrain my comments to the most recent events.

As Roye (and others) I first noticed a drop in performance in the form of engine "dying" and early on, realized it was a fuel starvation problem. After checking the plastic in line fuel filter to make sure it was OK and gently blowing out the fill tube to make sure it was clear, I then consulted the Service manual, which I have purchased with each Mule. While a fuel pump can be the cause, the symptoms were not quite right and the fuel pump checked out OK.

I concluded some dirt, etc had gotten into the carb and reluctantly took a long trip with it on a trailer to a dealer. Their solution was to clean the carburetor, flush the fuel system and put in a new fuel pump. That worked for about 30 more hours and then the symptoms returned. After going over everything again that I could myself to no avail, I took it to a local general mechanic repair shop with carb cleaning capability. He cleaned the carb and as a precaution against possible failing of the fuel pump, replaced that spendy little part, as the dealer had.

While suspecting the replacement of the fuel pump was overkill again, it should be noted testing the output of the pump is not a clear call either way. To my surprise, however, my mechanic asked, "Did you know there is a second very fine mesh cone-shaped fuel filter hidden in the brass inlet fitting on the top of the carburetor?" I was shocked as I had taken off the fuel line several times in the course of my investigations looking for such a thing and had not observed the very small annular ring at the very tip of the inlet port. Lo and behold, the very extra fuel filter I had looked for and missed was right there, snuggled inside the inlet fitting!

About another thirty more hours of use brought on the symptoms again, but it took me all of two minutes or so to raise the bed, squeeze the little clamp along the fuel hose with my Leatherman tool, twist the fuel hose to break the seal to the brass fitting and remove the hose from the fitting. Then I used the needle nose pliers part of my Leatherman to gently grasp the annular ring of the little filter and ease it out of the brass fitting. Sure enough, it was chocked full of small rust particles. By holding the filter in the air with the large end down over a white paper sack, all of the rust particles tumbled out and were easily seen without even using a fuel varnish remover, etc., I replaced the filter, put everything back together, and the Mule started right off and purred at idle as new.

As stated above, the little filter is not only not shown in the 2005 Owner's manual, it is not in the 2005 Service Manual. Having extensive engineering/management experience in situations just like this, my conclusion is Kawasaki probably realized early on they had a rusty gas tank problem in some of their units, most likely due to a root cause associated with the coating on the inside of the tank. Since the problem tended to show up after the one year warranty period, they were off the hook except for extended warranties. Someone, somewhere with a bean counter mentality, made the decision to low key the presence of the problem by putting in the very inexpensive "band-aid corrective action” of the little filter which even if its presence wasn't known, would get cleaned with the top of the carburetor, by a dealer of repair shop.

I have not checked with my dealer to see if a bulletin was ever issued to them by Kawasaki, but plan to before trading up to a newer model. I think they have gone to plastic tanks now. In fairness to Kawasaki, intermittent occurrence of long term rust development in a gas tank is a difficult one to prevent. However, it was frustrating for me to have to find out about the little filter after numerous frustrating hours of usage and purchase of expensive, unneeded fuel pumps. This could have been handled much better and saved customers hundreds if not thousands of hours and dollars, but I suppose the fear of litigation has ruled the day for them. Sad indeed, but I hope this review, even belatedly helps Roye and others on forums which I have just found.

Original review: June 19, 2014

We bought a zero turn mower with a Kawasaki motor for 2013 mowing season and when we were preparing for the 2014 season we discovered three of the bolts to the motor were either broken off or missing. We had a good friend with a Hustler Super Z with a Kawasaki motor that did the same thing. Our local dealer for Gravely (town less than 4,000) said they had had 3 others in the shop for the same thing. We don't know if Kawasaki is using too soft a metal for the bolts or what the problem is, but wish someone would figure it out.

Original review: June 5, 2014

2005 Kawasaki mule - Gas pedal stuck on factory fastener in floorboard. Vehicle was out of control, brakes would not stop it. Ran Into tree, threw me off completely into spinning accelerated wheel in gravel, resulting in multiple lacerations, bruises, hematoma.

Original review: May 18, 2014

I have always bought large commercial mowers to maintain my home. Never had any trouble with any of them. I bought a new bobcat mower in 2012 and it is equipped with the 37hp dfi motor. I have had several issues with the engine not producing the power is should for such a big motor. Engine was serviced 2 times and not even having 49 hrs on the machine. No dealers seem to know how to diagnose or work on the dfi motor. Pulled the mower out this season and cut 4 times with it (4 hours) and all of a sudden motor oil came shooting out of the top side of the engine. Needless to say I shut it down and called the dealer and have it going back in for service.

I have read a ton of bad things about the Kawasaki dfi motor. I wish I would have never bought this piece of **. The mower now has 60 hours on it and is nothing short of being a large boat anchor. Have called Kawasaki and they are not helpful at all. I wish the top dog at Kawasaki motors would see this and do the right thing and call me and help me get my machine running. Spending over 11,000 dollars and this thing has had more down time than any other mower I have ever owned. I baby my stuff and is only used to maintain my residence.

Original review: June 12, 2013

I bought a brand new 2012 750 Brute Force on 9/7/12. The banjo bolt loosened up while riding causing brake fluid to empty out and me to lose front brakes keeping me from stopping thus forcing me into the drink. It scares the heck out me that this could have been far worse coming down the side of a steep mountain or not being able to stop for a sharp turn or possible colliding into others. I have been told that this is common for ATVs such as mine to lose their brakes by the dealership. And the dealership says that the Kawasaki Rep feels that banjo bolts can loosen up; it's no different than your car...

My feeling is that braking components should not loosen up; that could cause death to rider or others while riding the ATV off-roading. And though ATVs and cars have similar braking components, the ATV has a more rugged system for braking because of the off-roading it's made for and that my car should not lose brakes either. A banjo bolt on the brake system should only be loosened by a mechanics wrench and not by use. Kawasaki finally paid the claim with the same excuse (Banjo bolts loosen up on their own). My feeling is this machine is dangerous and should be recalled or bought back from the customer. Brake lines should not loosen up at all ... unless worked on.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2013

I purchased a Kawasaki cordless power tool set that came with 2-21.6V batteries, a flashlight, circular saw, reciprocal saw and a drill. After approximately two months, it just wouldn't work due to the batteries not taking a charge. I called the company and was told I had to either buy a new set or new batteries. Then I see the recall and I just about gotten rid of the whole set.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2012

I own a 2010 37HP DFI motor on my Bobcat mower. I have had problems with it since the first week I owned it. There have been several recalls and updates. The dealer wants me to pay for the repairs myself because he says Kawasaki won’t pay their warranty claims. The motor has had so many problems and costs me so much time and money that I don’t believe it will ever be right. The value should be around $10,000.00 but because of its problems, I’m only getting offers of around $2,500.00 for it. I feel like everything I have gone through to get it fixed and the fact it does not perform the job it was supposed to do that Kawasaki is committing fraud. I have tried my best to work with them.

Original review: June 23, 2012

I took it (2012 Kawasaki Teryx4 750) out riding with my kid to a mud festival. My oil light was blinking. I stopped, checked the oil. It was okay. Then, it was time for me to have the 20-hour service on it and have them check why was the oil light coming on and they discovered I had mud in my gas tank. How it got in there, I find now till the dealer said that the o-ring on the fuel pump was put on wrong from Kawasaki. I called warranty to let them know so that they can cover the labor expenses because there were no parts involved and a guy by the name of Tim said to me that they don't build their bike with sand in them. If I wanted a street bike, I would have bought one. This is the reason why I purchased this off road vehicle that was intended for that purpose I was told when I spent $15,000 on it. All I'm asking is for them to cover the labor expense of cleaning the gas tank and reinstalling the o-ring correctly.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2012

I purchased a 2012 Kawasaki Brute Force. I drove the ATV about three hours and noticed that the four wheel drive light on the dash was blinking. I made a trip to the closest Kawasaki dealer and they said, it was a bad battery, so they replaced it under warranty and all was good. Then I took my ATV home and drove it about 15 minutes. The same light came on once again, the first dealer had the ATV about a week by the way.

So, I took it to the dealer where I bought the ATV from and they had it another week and claimed that the battery was bad and the prior dealer had not charged it properly, so another battery and everything was fine. I took the ATV home and guess what, the same thing happened three more times, so I took it back to the same dealer, only to be told that the computer was bad and they replaced it all three times. At that point in time, I had owned the ATV four months and the dealers had it for more than half of that time. This ATV was over $10,000 and this is not what I bargained for .

The last time rode my four wheeler, I got it back from the dealer, it has a " black box" to record the signals going to the computer . So, I took it for a test ride and another problem has occurred and it is back in the shop once again, now for three days and no word on what is going on. I sure would like to have Kawasaki's opinion about what is going on and if they can trade me for another ATV or give me my money back so that I could pick a new one out . Thanks for your help.

Original review: March 27, 2011

Kawasaki drill battery, serial #1007000296m 19.2v, meltdown during charge about a year ago. Any recall unknown till today. Any help would be appreciated.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2010

There was a recall on the Kawasaki battery charger and also the 21.6v batteries. I mailed my batteries on Oct. 12, 2010, the tracking # is **. I have not received my batteries. I called on Nov. 30 2010 and talked to someone they ask for my charger # and I gave it to her the # is ** she said, he would call shipping and have them sent. that was on 11/30/2010. I have not received them yet please respond this the 2nd email that I have sent. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2010

I sent HSBC an electronic payment from ING for my motorcycle that was accepted by HSBC on Oct. 1, 2010. The minimum payment was due Oct. 2, 2010. Oct. 8th, I received a late payment notice. After investigation, I found I had transposed two numbers on the account. I contacted HSBC by internet and phone. I gave them the trace number and the incorrect account number. They said, they don't normally accept electronic payments. That I could not forward an email for ING with the trace number and that I would have to fax the trace number to them. Which I immediately drove to town and had a bank fax them the info they requested.

On Oct. 20, I received a notice from them that my payment had been return to my bank and that late charges as well as interest would stay charged to my account. Since HSBC had my money before the account debit day was due. Twelve days later, the money was transmitted electronically back to my bank. I don't understand why my account was not credited and penalty charges and interest forgiven. It is beyond me.How insensitive and non responsive this bank can be.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2010

I bought a Kawasaki cordless set at Costco in Newfoundland about 2 or 3 years ago. I used the drill a few weeks ago and put it back in the carry case when I was finished with it. The next day, I entered my garage and smelled an awful smell. I opened the case and my drill was in because I was going to use it again. That’s when I realized the smell was coming from the case. Then I noticed a little smoke coming out of it. When I picked it up it was hot. I noticed a hole beside the trigger and the case was starting to melt where the drill was lying.

Well, there was no damage to me other than that of breathing that awful smell, but I can't stop thinking about what could have happened if I didn't notice what happen to the drill before going back to work. My garage is attached to my house where I store most of my power tools and I work in another province for twenty days every month. I’m only home for a week every month, but my wife and two little boys are here all the time. This situation could have been a lot worst if I hadn't been home.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2010

I registered the 19.2 on the Kawasaki cordless drill over a year ago and still have heard nothing. I can't seem to get in touch with a real person to fix the problem.

Original review: June 5, 2010

I bought a 21.6 volt cordless drill at Costco. The first time I charged the battery, I found that it got unusually hot. I put in one screw it worked okay but since I am going to use it a lot on my deck, I wanted to order an extra battery, that was that I found out that there was a recall. Lucky me that I did not use the drill yet. I registered to receive a free battery charger. Can I trust this product with the replacement charger?

Original review: March 31, 2010

My Kawasaki Power Pack overheated when charging. I tried to charge the first pack and it overheated and got distorted. I tried the second pack and the same thing happened. The drill cost about $100.00 and I cannot use it.

Original review: March 1, 2010

According to your website report from 10/12/2007, the Kawasaki 21.6v Drill Rechargeable Battery Pack 691221 has been recalled by Alltrade Tools LLC .When I contacted Alltrade Tools LLC on 3/1/2010, the tech support person told me that the power pack has never been recalled, and the only recall for the drill was the charger, not the battery. Please let me know if your article was erroneous or Alltrade Tools LLC canceled a recall.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2010

We have a 2008 Kawasaki Teryx. It has 72 hours on the motor. It has been serviced by the dealer as directed. After riding one afternoon, it died and would not crank back up. We boosted it off and it had a terrible noise in the motor. I took it back to the dealer and by simply looking at the air filter, they told me that my motor was burned up. It was said that if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay cash. I have factory warranty and paid for the extended warranty.

I, in return, called the Kawasaki warranty company, and was told to get a second opinion. So I took it to another Kawasaki dealer and they actually dismantled the complete engine and told me that it was not the air filter that caused this problem. So a warranty claim with this shop was submitted and denied, due to the initial claim made by The House of Cycles. I feel as though I'm getting ripped off by the House of Cycles and the warranty company. The warranty company is simply going by what was told to them. But I was told to get a second opinion, and when I did, it didn't even matter.

I simply want my Teryx fixed by warranty. The second place I took it to also pointed out that a recall was on my bike. I told him that it was taken to the House of Cycles and the recall was fixed. This was not the case. He pointed out to me that the part they were to put on, was never installed, but on the computer, it was documented that it had been installed and the recall was closed out. The House of Cycles will not back their warranty. I just want to know what I can do to have this resolved. I want my Teryx fixed by whatever means. This is so ridiculous. After battling House of Cycles, it had me so upset, I had to go to the doctor and get medicine for my blood pressure. The Teryx still isn't fixed and it has really put a strain on both myself and my fiance. Please tell me what I can do.

Kawasaki expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kawasaki Motors Corp. U.S.A. got its start in Chicago making motorcycles in a warehouse. Today, it makes multiple personal recreational vehicles from motorcycles to watercraft and many models of ATVs under the Sport class and Sport Utility class.

• Brute Force 300: The Brute Force 300 is a utility ATV with a 271cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine with an electric start. It has an automatic transmission, full floorboards and a towing capacity of 500 pounds. The Brute Force 300 retails at $4,299.
    • Brute Force 750 4x4: The Brute Force 750 4x4 has a liquid-cooled, 749cc, V-twin engine with an electric start. It comes with selectable four-wheel drive and a towing capacity of 1,250 pounds. Its ample power is designed for hilly, difficult terrain. The Brute Force 750 sells for $8,999 and also in a camo version with hunting upgrades ($10,599) like front and rear cargo racks.
    • KFX series: Kawasaki’s sport ATVs are in the KFX series. The KFX series has two models: the KFX 90 and the KFX 50. The KFX 50 is designed for new riders just starting out in the four-wheel lifestyle. It has an automatic, four-stroke, 49.5cc engine, push-button electric start and parental controls such as an engine-stop lanyard. The KFX 90 is very similar to the KFX 50 with an 89cc engine. Prices start at $1,999 for the KFX 50 and $2,599 for the KFX 90.
    • TERYX series: The TERYX series from Kawasaki is one of two series of side-by-side ATVs and has six different models: TERYX, TERYX Camo, TERYX LE, TERYX4, TERYX4 Camo and TERYX4 LE. Each model in this series has a 783cc engine with a towing capacity of 1,300 pounds. Consumers can check online for the different features and accessories on each model. Prices for the TERYX series range from $12,999-$16,999.
    • MULE series: The MULE series of ATV is Kawasaki’s second line of side-by-side vehicles. Altogether the MULE series has 24 models including a pro series and a pro diesel series. The pro diesel series is Kawasaki's most powerful ATV with engine sizes of 993cc. Consumers can check online to look at the different specs and accessories for each model. MULE models start at $8,999 and go to $16,999 for base models.
    • Best for: consumers looking for multiple side-by-side ATV options.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs