3.26/5
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratings

65 Kawasaki Motors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

While I cannot speak about any Kawasaki Products other than my Mule 600 UTV, I can describe my experience with it. We purchased a small 10-acre ranch in the CA Sierra Foothills back in 2012. We were not here a month when I realized that I needed a vehicle for all of the property maintenance involved. Our closest neighbor had purchased a Mule several years earlier and highly recommend it. The Mule 600 is a very basic UTV, not designed to be fancy or go fast, just work every day, and it does just that. I would buy another Mule tomorrow if need be. I use this vehicle every day, winter, summer, rain, and snow. The Mule is a total workhorse from dragging tree limbs to the burn pile, or moving material in its tilt bed, this thing is as valuable to me as my Kubota Tractor and my Truck. I had tried to find a used one initially but no luck as no one wants to sell, I now completely understand. If you need a vehicle for light duty property work, look no further.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The bikes are very well manufactured, unique, and high functioning. I like how the color combinations on the bikes are different from others and they are uniquely built. However, I dislike how hard it is to find matching pipes just in case one breaks.

Get expert buying tips about ATVs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Kawasaki has been very satisfactory and I highly recommend it. It helps me as a means of transportation to get to work. I feel confident because it is an excellent brand for its good response when accelerating and slowing down. I like the power of the engine and its design. It also has good paint, varied models and the tires have a good grip. The motorcycle brake system are very soft and with high safety. But in my opinion the seats are uncomfortable because it needs more blanching and the material they were made are very hot. And the protection of the motorcycle chain should be improved by protection and greater safety.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My experiences with Kawasaki have always been positive. This brand was having an excellent promotion when I wanted to buy a bike and I'm really glad I did. I like the fact that Kawasaki is a trusted brand in the industry. It made me feel confident in my purchase decision. The ride is always fun and as long as you keep up with maintenance this girl will last forever. This may sound ridiculous but they should change the color scheme. Kawasaki is a badass brand and it's branding needs some updating in my opinion.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have owned many different Kawasaki motorcycles and I can say that every one that I owned handled like a real champ and I'm actually in the market for another special Kawasaki project and once I get it it's going to be the nicest machine on the street and I will always keep it that way. I really like their motorcycles because they are really at the top of the game and they handle extremely well. It's the most innovative motorcycle that has ever been made and I feel that there is no comp when it comes to making a bike of this status. The only real deal thing I dislike about these motorcycles is that it's very light in the front so if you're not careful you may have a serious injury or if you're not use to riding something with this much power you may want to think again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kawasaki?

Original review: March 12, 2018

Overall Kawasaki has good performing bikes. Their styling is one of my favorites and I like the term crotch rocket. Throttle response is also another thing I like about these bikes. Not much out there that's faster. They're a real eye catcher out in the street, a bike you see in a group because people like riding together in their Ninjas. I simply love them. The company usually has a fast response time to customer questions and repairs are done right and quickly. However at times they're a little pricey and I heard repairs are also a little expensive. I would also like more customizable features aka performance parts and maybe cheaper prices overall.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Kawasaki Motors make machines that you can explore with and have fun. I like their sportsmanship and quality. They can be driven fast, or slow and they are very competitive with others. I also like the designs that this manufacturer customizes on their motorcycles. Take the ninja. It is a great looking machine with stripes, sporty and all at the same time classy. But I wish they would consider to make motorcycle helmets sold at the same store with the great stripes and colors to match your choice of motorcycle. Other than that, these motorcycles can be handled better and not being so heavy to uphold. You just feel better with better coordination in driving these machines. Plus most have the front windshield that protects you from being hit with rocks, and other road clutter. These motorcycles are greatly made with the customer's best interest.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I do all my own maintenance and I like that I can get parts readily almost anywhere quickly. I also really like that the price is a whole lot lower than other banks of the same size. The only thing I would change about this brand of motorcycle is the volume of the exhaust. I believe louder exhaust save lives of motorcycle riders and all bikes should be equipped for loud exhaust. But other than that, I have owned my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 for 10 years and have put 30 000 miles on it. I have never had a breakdown while on the road.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I love the torque and speed of my Kawasaki. I also love the custom paint job on my bike. I have a custom purple and pink Kawasaki 2014. I would like them to have a faster torque speed but other than that my Kawasaki is perfectionism at its best. I choose this brand was sleek and just right in size for a female rider. It is smaller bike than I originally plan but it a good bike.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I like the Kawasaki Crotch Rockets and the position in which the body is in with position of motorcycle. Handle bars seem to be in perfect configuration with body form. Makes for the perfect lean unlike other bikes that make it feel as you have wings for arms and wings are spread in full stretch. It looks ugly. Vibration is limited on the style of bike in comparison to others. There should be more space for passenger so ass is not hanging off the back of the bike. There should also be a better place even if small and hidden to pit personal items such as cellular phone or ** or even a snack to eat or my cigarettes. The Kawasaki motor is fun, fast, sexy, memorable, comfortable, good colors. Chose this particular brand over others because it is a favorite. It's young but not a fad as the Harley Davidson brand has become.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

It has always been a reliable bike and for its age it still runs strong. It is 175 and the perfect size for my riding needs. It has awesome acceleration and stability control. Plus, the price was right at the time of purchase. However, my particular bike seems to get the carburetor plugged up more often than not and needs a good detailing about once a month. I also don't like the shift pattern, but that may be because my bike is older style from the 80's. Overall it hasn't disappointed yet and would probably buy another Kawasaki.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I have a Vulcan motorcycle. I love this brand because they are reasonably priced compared to Harleys. Harleys I believe are very overpriced. You are just paying for a name. If you ride a Harley you have to be able to want to wrench because they fall apart going down the road. Kawasaki's are meant for riders and I love their touring bikes. So comfy and a pretty bike too. This is the second Kawasaki motorcycle I have owned. My son just bought the same year bike as mine, only one size down in cc's.

They really hold their value. I chose this brand because years ago when I was looking for a bike to buy, I was looking for one that was slightly used with low miles. I found a Kawasaki Vulcan that had been all chromed out. Very very low miles and not even ready for its first oil change. Guy was selling it because he rode it while he was waiting for his custom bike to be built. I loved it so much that I bought another one when I was done with that one, only newer.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

When I sat on it I felt that I was formed with the bike. I felt comfortable and like I could handle it better that way. Once the bike got started and warmed up it seemed to be very smooth riding. I like the way I could turn in it and I felt that I was safe. I went over bumps and it didn't feel like I was going to lose control of the bike. It seemed as though at times it was a little jerky. I had a hard time keeping my balance at first. Once I got used to it that seem to subside however and I've been very happy with this brand of bike. Great bike for a beginner. I also like the looks of the bike. It looked very modern and stylish.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My bike is an Enduro which allows me to ride on the street and off-road. I can take it fishing or hunting or ride it in the city. The gas mileage is great. I have had a great time with the bike. It's awesome, reliable and requires very little maintenance. The dealers have always helped out with any problems and the mechanics are very knowledgeable. But there are two things that would help and that is a luggage rack to put more things like groceries or camping equipment. The second would be a better padded seat. It would help on the back muscles.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I bought a 2013 Kawasaki Tyrex 750 in 2014 as a holdover149442. With about 325 miles on the machine it overheated. When I took it into the dealer where I bought it, they said it was due to mud being in the radiator. The heat melted the wire harness and the engine got so hot it melted the dip stick. No worries it was under warranty right. Well now it has about 1300 miles on it and the extended warranty I had expired two months ago. So now a bearing went bad and the exact same dealership (Bangor Motorsports, Bangor Maine) is saying it's due to dirt getting into the engine. So now I'm stuck with a machine that has had nothing but issues.

Oh I did call Kawasaki direct and they say, "Sorry, unless it's some sort of malfunction we can't help you." Well hello seems like there is a malfunction somewhere. At speeds over 25 mph you can't even talk to the passenger due to the engine noise. I should have sold it when I first had a chance but I would have just stuck somebody else with a piece of junk. I will not be buying another Kawasaki. I love my new Can Am commander.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I like that the Kawasaki is well built and easy to control. It doesn't try to kill me like my other ATVs and it doesn't give me any issues with the engine. However, I really hate the color of my Kawasaki, but when I'm not being lazy, I can change that myself.

Original review: May 21, 2017

We have owned different models and brands and find Kawasaki to be very reliable. I like the stability and the sturdiness of the product and the safety features. I feel confident in any member of my family riding or handling the vehicle. Handling an ATV is easy once you get used to the dimensions and speed and mobility of your vehicle. It is most important to be sure you are handling and riding your vehicle in a safe and responsible manner. The vehicle can be ridden on different types of terrains easily and can perform well in most weather conditions. It is great for family use and for entering competitions. We have had very few problems and have had very few repairs. Great product, great manufacturer. I would just like the product to constantly be upgraded and updated to safety and reliability standards.

Original review: May 15, 2017

The ATV is a superbly engineered product, very quiet, provides a smooth riding experience. I have tried other before and I can say this one is by far the best I have tried yet. It is simple once you get used to it. For example the start and the handling can go rough if do not control it, also it can cause a few minor accidents when you're handling it for the first time. Some users are complaining about leaking oil and motor failing above 50 mph, but this is not my case. The product is fully functional, would buy it again. There are still some rooms for improvement and considering the history of the company, more innovations are on its way.

Original review: April 5, 2017

2016 Kawasaki Teryx - Excess noise, terrible. In the overall questionnaire that Kawasaki emailed I filled it out with my noise complaint to buy it back. I only had 10 miles on it... It's in camo so I bought it to take hunting and camping. I have had mini bikes, motorcycles, quads and this side by side is too noisy. Looks great, lots of power... Please is there a lemon law? I can't believe the Kawasaki engineers built this to sell. No one ever got back to me....

Original review: April 4, 2017

I purchased a used teryx 750 4x4 2008 that appeared to be in good condition. Ran fine at first then it began to make drivetrain noise. I figured it was due for a drive belt so I purchased a 97 dollar belt and a 400 dollar clutch rebuild kit. Nothing I did had any effect so I took it to the nearest dealer while it was running and was told it was not worth fixing. Now I am stuck with a 6000 push cart. I have rode and repaired Harley Davidson for 30 years and have never encountered one that is not worth repairing. Beware of these foreign revenge machines as they could care less if you are stuck with a pile of junk. I am disabled and unable to afford anything else so be more vigilant than me and buy new products and do your research on their reliability. I hope I can help others avoid a mistake of this magnitude because I am unable to walk without assistance, thus leaving me unable to keep poachers off my land.

Original review: April 14, 2016

I have a 2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250. Since the day I got it after only 4 days of riding it, it started leaking oil and has had a sputter. These are the worst four-wheelers kawasaki has made. I wont be buying anymore atvs from them. I have a 1999 honda 300 fourtrax 4x4 that runs and drives better than kawasaki. The kawasaki also has started acting like if you tried to go fast it wont go but like 20mph. If you're wanting a nice atv I suggest Honda!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I purchased a new mule a few months ago and now have almost 50 hours on it. So far, a superbly engineered product. Very quiet and smooth riding. Excellent ergonomics and comfort. Built extremely well. The ability to convert from 1 row to 2 rows cannot be more simple and makes it so nice to take guests to the lake. My wife and entire family enjoy it and find it extremely useful here on our farm. The peace of mind knowing it's reliable and comes with such a great warranty made it an easy decision. Knowing hard working folks in Nebraska built it made it even more enjoyable to drive. Thankful I didn't purchase a CanAm, Polaris, or Arctic Cat, whose reliability and engineering problems never seem to cease.

Original review: March 22, 2015

Mule FTX LE wheel problem. I got my mule the first day a rock got between the aluminum wheel and brake, it hole a hole in the wheel. The dealer said it was the first time they seen this. They covered it under warranty. The third day I road my Mule, it happen to the other side (both back wheels). I hope they cover this too. They will have to change some thing to solve this problem.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I have had 2008 Kawasaki z1000 (10k miles), 2007 zx14 (9k miles - cross country), 2005 z1000 and 2008 zx10r, 2003 Vulcan 1600, and 2008 mean streak. All were excellent bikes except zx10r there were absolutely no issues. Zx10r, had issues with electrical system for which Kawasaki did do recall and issue was fixed.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

2013 kx450f - Problem # 1. Bought at Berts Mega Mall. And took advantage of me on the closing cost (my bad, but still sucks). Don't buy from Berts. JUST DON'T. 2. Had to replace fork seals 3 times in last 2 years. I think it is because of the air forks. No idea. 3. Developed flat spots and bent spokes after truing my wheel every other ride (had to replace the wheels 3 months after i bought it). 4. Oil filter cap broke apart inside of housing. Result was buying a aftermarket one. 6 months of purchase 5. Subframe bent after racing and falling (more my problem but still). 6. Chain adjuster bolt froze in swing arm after 1 year of riding. (I ain't a goon or squid I've been racing for a while and probably faster than most, so I know bike maintenance). 7. Bent rear rotor. 8. Bent front rotor. AND NOW MY FAVORITE ** THING! 9. After riding it this weekend!!! I need a new TOP and BOTTOM end... the result SPUN ** MAIN BEARING. Sounds like a power stroke diesel now!!! Suhweet!! 1100 to 1800 dollar job to fix... OH BEST PART is had a 2 year warranty on the engine. Bought the bike in November of 2012. You do the math.. SOL.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

Kawasaki Teryx4 ESP - At any speed other than just crawling the drive-train noise is deafening. I and any riders have to wear ear plugs to be in this machine. You can't even hear the engine over the whining coming from the drive train. I had taken it to the dealer where I had bought it and was told that the noise was normal for that machine. It is totally unacceptable and no one in my family wants to ride in it for any period of time. I paid good money for this and it just sits because of the noise.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I have owned three Mules in succession; a circa 1990 2510, a 1996 2510, and now have a 2005 3010 with 990 hours. There has been a rust in the gas problem to a greater or lesser extent in all three, but will constrain my comments to the most recent events.

As Roye (and others) I first noticed a drop in performance in the form of engine "dying" and early on, realized it was a fuel starvation problem. After checking the plastic in line fuel filter to make sure it was OK and gently blowing out the fill tube to make sure it was clear, I then consulted the Service manual, which I have purchased with each Mule. While a fuel pump can be the cause, the symptoms were not quite right and the fuel pump checked out OK.

I concluded some dirt, etc had gotten into the carb and reluctantly took a long trip with it on a trailer to a dealer. Their solution was to clean the carburetor, flush the fuel system and put in a new fuel pump. That worked for about 30 more hours and then the symptoms returned. After going over everything again that I could myself to no avail, I took it to a local general mechanic repair shop with carb cleaning capability. He cleaned the carb and as a precaution against possible failing of the fuel pump, replaced that spendy little part, as the dealer had.

While suspecting the replacement of the fuel pump was overkill again, it should be noted testing the output of the pump is not a clear call either way. To my surprise, however, my mechanic asked, "Did you know there is a second very fine mesh cone-shaped fuel filter hidden in the brass inlet fitting on the top of the carburetor?" I was shocked as I had taken off the fuel line several times in the course of my investigations looking for such a thing and had not observed the very small annular ring at the very tip of the inlet port. Lo and behold, the very extra fuel filter I had looked for and missed was right there, snuggled inside the inlet fitting!

About another thirty more hours of use brought on the symptoms again, but it took me all of two minutes or so to raise the bed, squeeze the little clamp along the fuel hose with my Leatherman tool, twist the fuel hose to break the seal to the brass fitting and remove the hose from the fitting. Then I used the needle nose pliers part of my Leatherman to gently grasp the annular ring of the little filter and ease it out of the brass fitting. Sure enough, it was chocked full of small rust particles. By holding the filter in the air with the large end down over a white paper sack, all of the rust particles tumbled out and were easily seen without even using a fuel varnish remover, etc., I replaced the filter, put everything back together, and the Mule started right off and purred at idle as new.

As stated above, the little filter is not only not shown in the 2005 Owner's manual, it is not in the 2005 Service Manual. Having extensive engineering/management experience in situations just like this, my conclusion is Kawasaki probably realized early on they had a rusty gas tank problem in some of their units, most likely due to a root cause associated with the coating on the inside of the tank. Since the problem tended to show up after the one year warranty period, they were off the hook except for extended warranties. Someone, somewhere with a bean counter mentality, made the decision to low key the presence of the problem by putting in the very inexpensive "band-aid corrective action” of the little filter which even if its presence wasn't known, would get cleaned with the top of the carburetor, by a dealer of repair shop.

I have not checked with my dealer to see if a bulletin was ever issued to them by Kawasaki, but plan to before trading up to a newer model. I think they have gone to plastic tanks now. In fairness to Kawasaki, intermittent occurrence of long term rust development in a gas tank is a difficult one to prevent. However, it was frustrating for me to have to find out about the little filter after numerous frustrating hours of usage and purchase of expensive, unneeded fuel pumps. This could have been handled much better and saved customers hundreds if not thousands of hours and dollars, but I suppose the fear of litigation has ruled the day for them. Sad indeed, but I hope this review, even belatedly helps Roye and others on forums which I have just found.

Original review: June 19, 2014

We bought a zero turn mower with a Kawasaki motor for 2013 mowing season and when we were preparing for the 2014 season we discovered three of the bolts to the motor were either broken off or missing. We had a good friend with a Hustler Super Z with a Kawasaki motor that did the same thing. Our local dealer for Gravely (town less than 4,000) said they had had 3 others in the shop for the same thing. We don't know if Kawasaki is using too soft a metal for the bolts or what the problem is, but wish someone would figure it out.

Original review: June 5, 2014

2005 Kawasaki mule - Gas pedal stuck on factory fastener in floorboard. Vehicle was out of control, brakes would not stop it. Ran Into tree, threw me off completely into spinning accelerated wheel in gravel, resulting in multiple lacerations, bruises, hematoma.

Original review: May 18, 2014

I have always bought large commercial mowers to maintain my home. Never had any trouble with any of them. I bought a new bobcat mower in 2012 and it is equipped with the 37hp dfi motor. I have had several issues with the engine not producing the power is should for such a big motor. Engine was serviced 2 times and not even having 49 hrs on the machine. No dealers seem to know how to diagnose or work on the dfi motor. Pulled the mower out this season and cut 4 times with it (4 hours) and all of a sudden motor oil came shooting out of the top side of the engine. Needless to say I shut it down and called the dealer and have it going back in for service.

I have read a ton of bad things about the Kawasaki dfi motor. I wish I would have never bought this piece of **. The mower now has 60 hours on it and is nothing short of being a large boat anchor. Have called Kawasaki and they are not helpful at all. I wish the top dog at Kawasaki motors would see this and do the right thing and call me and help me get my machine running. Spending over 11,000 dollars and this thing has had more down time than any other mower I have ever owned. I baby my stuff and is only used to maintain my residence.

Kawasaki expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kawasaki Motors Corp. U.S.A. got its start in Chicago making motorcycles in a warehouse. Today, it makes multiple personal recreational vehicles from motorcycles to watercraft and many models of ATVs under the Sport class and Sport Utility class.

• Brute Force 300: The Brute Force 300 is a utility ATV with a 271cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine with an electric start. It has an automatic transmission, full floorboards and a towing capacity of 500 pounds. The Brute Force 300 retails at $4,299.

• Brute Force 750 4x4: The Brute Force 750 4x4 has a liquid-cooled, 749cc, V-twin engine with an electric start. It comes with selectable four-wheel drive and a towing capacity of 1,250 pounds. Its ample power is designed for hilly, difficult terrain. The Brute Force 750 sells for $8,999 and also in a camo version with hunting upgrades ($10,599) like front and rear cargo racks.

• KFX series: Kawasaki’s sport ATVs are in the KFX series. The KFX series has two models: the KFX 90 and the KFX 50. The KFX 50 is designed for new riders just starting out in the four-wheel lifestyle. It has an automatic, four-stroke, 49.5cc engine, push-button electric start and parental controls such as an engine-stop lanyard. The KFX 90 is very similar to the KFX 50 with an 89cc engine. Prices start at $1,999 for the KFX 50 and $2,599 for the KFX 90.

• TERYX series: The TERYX series from Kawasaki is one of two series of side-by-side ATVs and has six different models: TERYX, TERYX Camo, TERYX LE, TERYX4, TERYX4 Camo and TERYX4 LE. Each model in this series has a 783cc engine with a towing capacity of 1,300 pounds. Consumers can check online for the different features and accessories on each model. Prices for the TERYX series range from $12,999-$16,999.

• MULE series: The MULE series of ATV is Kawasaki’s second line of side-by-side vehicles. Altogether the MULE series has 24 models including a pro series and a pro diesel series. The pro diesel series is Kawasaki's most powerful ATV with engine sizes of 993cc. Consumers can check online to look at the different specs and accessories for each model. MULE models start at $8,999 and go to $16,999 for base models.

• Best for: consumers looking for multiple side-by-side ATV options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs