1.50/5
  • 1 star
Based on 6 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: July 17, 2017

11 Johnson City Honda Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 17, 2017

So If I could give less than one star, I absolutely would. So I am looking at a used car right? I test drive it, talk to one of the salesmen who is super nice to me (of course) and I decide to take the next step and I drive it to my mechanic to have a pre-buy inspection done. Well, turns out the car had about 1200.00 worth of repairs that needed to be done, but with the right price to compensate for the repairs, the car was still a good buy. I come back, paperwork in hand, and explain to the same salesman that the condition of the car is no longer "excellent" by any means, and the price should reflect that...and there should be consideration for the repairs that should be made. So, the car was listed at 6500. I offered him 5000 CASH, plus the taxes fees and all that would come to a little more than 6000 if they did the repairs there.

That's more than fair...in any sane person's mind. Well, he goes and talks to the "manager" who makes all the decisions and comes back and says "No deal, I can't come anywhere near that" and I say..."you're kidding right? That's an excellent offer considering the repairs". He says "No deal because we don't like the mechanic you took it to." "Wait...what? You're not going to negotiate with me because you don't like the mechanic that inspected this car?" "Yes that's what I am saying, there is BAD BLOOD between us and him."

I said "Well, that's highly unprofessional, and ** to be honest. It is not my problem that you have a childish grudge against some mechanic." I then said, "Thank you for your time" and no lie, this salesman turned his back to me and walked off without saying a word. After 3 days of talking to him and taking the steps to buy this car...the man turns his back to me and walks off.

So, it all boils down to this: They are highly unprofessional and extremely shady; Childish grudges? Please; They're going to sell that car to someone who doesn't have a clue there is anything wrong with it and they're completely okay with that. I'm sure if you're throwing down 10 grand or better, they treat you much nicer. I guess 5000.00 cash isn't enough to warrant professionalism. My advice: Go somewhere else. Period.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I saw a car online, not new about 4000. At first the salesman was good. He took my info and was going to let me test drive. Then he saw that I had a ** man with me and acted like we were gong to steal the car. Then he jumps in backseat and we test drive. I said I wouldn't give a dime of my money to a racist and ask why he jumped in the car after seeing my friend, when he wasn't going with me in the first place. What he said was that he didn't make much more than a dime on used cars so he was not concerned. I spoke with the manager. He looked and acted like he had been drinking. VERY RUDE, don't want to bother with you if you are not buying at least a 10,000 car. Horrible experience.. When I wanted to complain everyone seems to be out to lunch.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

In March 2016, I purchased a new Honda Accord EXL. My Sales Rep. (Brian) was a decent man. I put 15K down, with very good credit. So, it was rather a seamlessly transaction. But, that is about as far as I can give credit, with the exception of Parts Manager, "Joe **," who is another decent person, that refunded my money from an "overcharge," done by "Kimberly **," Accessories Mgr., the third part of my regretful experience at Johnson City Honda.

About three weeks after purchasing my Accord EXL, I needed to return to the Johnson City Honda because of a "tire pressure trouble-light," came on. Also, after the dealer detailed the vehicle and I took delivery, they forgot to install the front license plate holder and provide me with a "vanity/valet trunk lock key". No big deal. They cleared the trouble light, but failed to install the front license plate holder, or provide me with the "valet trunk lock key." They promised to install and issue me a key upon my next service call.

Sooner than I expected, I returned to Johnson City Honda Service Dept. because, as I was backing out of my garage, I caused a, maybe, 2" by 2" (inches) scratch/scrape near the rear passenger door panel. No dent, just a scrape. I purchased a "Premier Paint Protection II with warranty and follow-up program." But, the service department informed me that they could not fix the scratch and referred me to their "Automotive Collision Technology, Inc." Automotive Technology gave me an estimate of $819.28. My husband said that amount was excessive.

A friend referred us to East Tennessee Collision Repair. They charged me $599, with excellent results. Although they ran into a "hitch" when they contact Johnson City Honda, accessories department, because they had to remove the rear door edge protective film, in order to "blend in" the repair area, which was close to the door's edge. The body shop was quoted $90 for the door protector film (sold only in set of 4). East Tennessee Collision thought the price was too high what Johnson City Honda quoted. So, I decided that I would deal directly with Johnson City Honda directly because I decided I wanted to have a "Mini Decklid Spoiler" installed, since I needed to return to Johnson City Honda.

Called accessories department. Accessories department quoted me a $230 price for the set of 4 door edge protectors and $577.02 for a Mini Decklid Spoiler. They wanted payment over-the-phone for immediate order, followed by calling me when merchandise arrive. The Accessories Mgr. stated that was their price, if I wanted it. I paid it, but, something told me to check Honda's online pricing. When I did, I found that the Spoiler model that I wanted, the price was listed at $299. And the larger "Full winged spoiler" was listed at $577. I could not find the pricing online for the door edge film; but, I did locate the cost of the "color Door Guards," (molding) an entirely different model, listed MSRP at $95 for a set of (4). Wow. I have been misled. And this was the beginning of the nightmare.

I never did receive a call from Service Dept., to inform me that my parts had arrived. I had to call Johnson City Honda. Made the appointment. Met with the Service Advisor, "Lisa." I showed her where and the kind of door protector needed, and inquired about the price I had paid, should be different from the more expensive door guards. In a curt manner, she replied, "Oh they all the same price." She then said "We can put your spoiler on today, but we will have to order the door film." Wow. Keep in mind, I have to make a 72-mile round trip to have my Honda serviced.

About a week later, I returned to the service department to have the door film installed. I decided to check with the parts manager (Joe **). I inquired to him about the price of the door film versus the door guard. He nervously apologized and said he don't know why I was charged "like that." The door film retails for $40. Furthermore, he said, "We keep the door film in-stock." I was just livid. He said that he was not do anything about the spoiler; that I need to speak with Kimberly **, who was "out sick." I was referred to the "Will **, the Service Director." They gave me no invoice on the spoiler, but Mr. ** asked me for my credit card information that I paid with. I promptly provided. Yet, he stated that he could not do anything about this until he speaks with the Accessories Manager, Kimberly **. He took my phone number and stated that he would contact me shortly.

I waited for several days. No callback. I had to place two follow-up calls to Johnson City Honda before Mr. ** decided to call me. My husband answered the call. Mr. ** informed my husband that he could not do anything about this situation until he speaks with the "owner, Joe **," and Kimberly **, the accessories manager. That he's made some adjustments, but he is unable to do anything about this situation, yet. My husband stated that he felt that he was being given the "double talk," to the point that my husband got very irritated and told Mr. **, "Don't call my ** home again. I will contact the Honda Corporation and let them settle it."

Well, the nightmare continues. We contacted Honda Corp. (1-800-999-1009) reported and filed a customer complaint. We certainly thought and believed that Honda would step-in and resolve this in our favor. It was quite obvious, at least we thought so. Two days after making our complaint to Honda they did absolutely nothing, other than make contact with the owner, Joe **. Honda Customer Support relayed a message. The owner stated that he was willing to make an adjustment to the invoice, "if your husband would make an apology to his Service Director." My husband and I are just flabbergasted. In fact, we are so outdone by the disparate treatment by Johnson City Honda and the American Honda Motor Corp., we have plans to pay-off this vehicle by year's end and trade it for either a Ford Fusion or a Lexus. We are so done with any Honda product.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

Priced my new car on truecar.com, JC Honda was competitive in price compared to other dealers around. So drove out of state to buy from them. However, the customer service is poor. I feel you get what you pay for. This dealership is considered a "unit" one, which means they do high quantity selling. So they are more worried about 'pushing' you through than customer service or ANY follow through. I bought a new car from them but would have rather paid an extra $500 or more to get better customer service from not only sales guys but the Managers themselves. I failed to receive all my items that were supposed to come with the new car and had left message for them.

Three days later and no one ever called back to see if it was taken care of. Really? Spend over 45 minutes on phone, majority of time on hold to get problem rectified. They were not upfront and honest about the mistakes they made and letting things fall through the cracks. If you want to customer service and don't mind the aggravation to get a slightly better price deal, then you can try here. I feel I should have taken their quote and had a 'nicer' dealership match it.

Original review: June 7, 2015

Took car in for repairs and it was returned NOT fixed and they had no interest in fixing it. Had to take it to another repair shop. Don't think the mechanics know what they're doing. Management didn't give a hoot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Johnson City Honda?

Resolution response: May 20, 2015

If you read my first review, you know what all we went through trying to get the car we traded for detailed as promised. After they wasted my fiancee time, on a couple occasions, (telling her to bring vehicle and it would be detailed) and never completing the job. They finally got it right. We went through a lot, but it's finally over, and they did finally get the car detailed. I would recommend getting any extras the salesman may add in writing. A simple mistake turned into a huge inconvenience. After a week of nothing but disappointment, they finally got it right.

Original review: May 1, 2015

My fiance and myself stopped in to look at a Used Honda Pilot, Saturday at the Johnson City Honda. We ended up negotiating a trade. Her Accord and boot, for the Pilot. The Pilot was very dirty on the inside and we wanted it detailed as part of the deal and the headlights restored. He agreed to it and also said he would fill the tank. We made the trade and paid the difference on Monday like we agreed. They were suppose to have the Pilot detailed and ready for her Monday morning. She gets there and it wasn't ready, she waits all day (missing work) and they kept making excuses why it was taking so long. So I contacted the salesman, who we made the deal with, and he says they got it done and she had left.

My fiance calls me immediately and says the only thing done were the headlights. We had planned on meeting at the dealership that evening to bring the salesman the rest of the $. Which we did, and I went in and spoke to a manager, explaining what was going on. He tells me the salesman made a mistake and wasn't suppose to agree to detail the car and he was only allowed to put $10 in it bc they called it a Bargain Row car. But he also says if he told me that, they would honor it. So the salesman made a mistake. He admitted his mistake and did seem to be trying to get it done.

The salesman texts me later (instead of calling) and says to let him know when I schedule the detail appt. I was blown away, that wasn't my job, or my mistake. So I explain that and ask him to please do it like he agreed on. He called back and made her appointment for Thursday (today). She goes first thing this morn, gives a list of what she expected, as I was told to tell her to do. They did give her a loaner car, as they should of. She leaves it for detail at 9 am and was told to return at 5.

After all the frustration and just bad business, I felt relief, hoping they would finally get it done. She returns at 5pm expecting everything done. The engine was cleaned up good, but nothing else was touched. It still had fries in floor, that were there when we test drove it. Now they want her to take it back in the morning and drop it off again. A simple mistake, with a simple fix, them honor the deal agreed on, turned into a stressful, unprofessional, worst car buying experience ever.

Hopefully they will remember to get it done tomorrow. I expected much better service, my fiance had been a customer and had her car serviced there regularly. I'm shocked how this has played out. I have honestly had better experience buying from a total stranger, and small car lots In the area. All we want is them to honor the deal we made like they agreed too. She is gonna try again tomorrow, wasting more of her time and $. We told them we didn't even want the gas (after they told us the salesman had made a mistake). That's wasn't our fault, they should honor every word said, we wouldn't of traded had we known they obviously don't know how to do business. And care less about wasting my fiance's (a customer's) time on a daily basis.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2009
Original review: Sept. 18, 2009
Original review: Nov. 17, 2008
Original review: Nov. 21, 2007

They overcharged me by $500 on a routine 100k mile checkup. It got to the point where my mother had to make an appointment with the owner. They admitted fault and said they'd give us $200 back. That would at least be something, but they still haven't sent it to us (the 'it's in the mail' dodge routine) and we've been calling them over and over about this.

The second time I went there was shortly after the checkup because my engine light turned on. They proceeded to charge me $350 for something that was DEFINATELY under warranty (emissions recall for 96/97 civics) and it took me calling California and talking to Honda USA to force them to concede to their mistake. However, dodging me yet again, they said 1.) They'd mail me my check, then 2.) No we can't mail you your check you have to come in (I have to drive from another city) and now, 3.) Oh we're sorry you'll have to sign papers, but that person isn't in today. I've been waiting since August for both of my refunds...4 months and still nothing, not even an apology!

On a personal level, many of them are rude and unprofessional. They were playing with remote control toys when I drove out there yesterday waiting for someone to help me. It's almost a joke how appalling their service is.

In summary, the management placates you with false promises until you're too tired to fight over it anymore. I will never do business with them ever again.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2005

I bought a brand new 2005 Honda Civic w/ an automatic transmission in early September. The car I wanted was not on the lot, so they had to deliver from a local market. A couple of days later, I returned complaining about a problem. The car would violently downshift between third and second gear. Christopher O'Quinn told me that it was a common problem w/ new Hondas, and he advised I drive the car for longer period to wear the brakes in.

A week and a half later, I returned to make a service appointment. They told me to bring it back on the weekend to check it out. They gave me an individual that would not be able to do anything until Monday because "He had to call Honda Tech Line, and I had to come back Monday morning." It turns out I needed a new transmission on a car w/ 1300 miles. However, Honda does not make new transmissions available. They wanted to install a "remanufactured" transmission. I refused, so I am now exhausting every avenue until it is resolved.

Make sure, before you sign the contract, that new parts will be used as replacement parts, and DO NOT BUY YOUR CAR FROM JOHNSON CITY HONDA!!!! They are the most useless dealership I have had the pleasure to do business with.

Johnson City Honda Company Information