Johnson City Honda

Johnson City, TN

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I saw a car online, not new about 4000. At first the salesman was good. He took my info and was going to let me test drive. Then he saw that I had a ** man with me and acted like we were gong to steal the car. Then he jumps in backseat and we test drive. I said I wouldn't give a dime of my money to a racist and ask why he jumped in the car after seeing my friend, when he wasn't going with me in the first place. What he said was that he didn't make much more than a dime on used cars so he was not concerned. I spoke with the manager. He looked and acted like he had been drinking. VERY RUDE, don't want to bother with you if you are not buying at least a 10,000 car. Horrible experience.. When I wanted to complain everyone seems to be out to lunch.

In March 2016, I purchased a new Honda Accord EXL. My Sales Rep. (Brian) was a decent man. I put 15K down, with very good credit. So, it was rather a seamlessly transaction. But, that is about as far as I can give credit, with the exception of Parts Manager, "Joe **," who is another decent person, that refunded my money from an "overcharge," done by "Kimberly **," Accessories Mgr., the third part of my regretful experience at Johnson City Honda.

About three weeks after purchasing my Accord EXL, I needed to return to the Johnson City Honda because of a "tire pressure trouble-light," came on. Also, after the dealer detailed the vehicle and I took delivery, they forgot to install the front license plate holder and provide me with a "vanity/valet trunk lock key". No big deal. They cleared the trouble light, but failed to install the front license plate holder, or provide me with the "valet trunk lock key." They promised to install and issue me a key upon my next service call.

Sooner than I expected, I returned to Johnson City Honda Service Dept. because, as I was backing out of my garage, I caused a, maybe, 2" by 2" (inches) scratch/scrape near the rear passenger door panel. No dent, just a scrape. I purchased a "Premier Paint Protection II with warranty and follow-up program." But, the service department informed me that they could not fix the scratch and referred me to their "Automotive Collision Technology, Inc." Automotive Technology gave me an estimate of $819.28. My husband said that amount was excessive.

A friend referred us to East Tennessee Collision Repair. They charged me $599, with excellent results. Although they ran into a "hitch" when they contact Johnson City Honda, accessories department, because they had to remove the rear door edge protective film, in order to "blend in" the repair area, which was close to the door's edge. The body shop was quoted $90 for the door protector film (sold only in set of 4). East Tennessee Collision thought the price was too high what Johnson City Honda quoted. So, I decided that I would deal directly with Johnson City Honda directly because I decided I wanted to have a "Mini Decklid Spoiler" installed, since I needed to return to Johnson City Honda.

Called accessories department. Accessories department quoted me a $230 price for the set of 4 door edge protectors and $577.02 for a Mini Decklid Spoiler. They wanted payment over-the-phone for immediate order, followed by calling me when merchandise arrive. The Accessories Mgr. stated that was their price, if I wanted it. I paid it, but, something told me to check Honda's online pricing. When I did, I found that the Spoiler model that I wanted, the price was listed at $299. And the larger "Full winged spoiler" was listed at $577. I could not find the pricing online for the door edge film; but, I did locate the cost of the "color Door Guards," (molding) an entirely different model, listed MSRP at $95 for a set of (4). Wow. I have been misled. And this was the beginning of the nightmare.

I never did receive a call from Service Dept., to inform me that my parts had arrived. I had to call Johnson City Honda. Made the appointment. Met with the Service Advisor, "Lisa." I showed her where and the kind of door protector needed, and inquired about the price I had paid, should be different from the more expensive door guards. In a curt manner, she replied, "Oh they all the same price." She then said "We can put your spoiler on today, but we will have to order the door film." Wow. Keep in mind, I have to make a 72-mile round trip to have my Honda serviced.

About a week later, I returned to the service department to have the door film installed. I decided to check with the parts manager (Joe **). I inquired to him about the price of the door film versus the door guard. He nervously apologized and said he don't know why I was charged "like that." The door film retails for $40. Furthermore, he said, "We keep the door film in-stock." I was just livid. He said that he was not do anything about the spoiler; that I need to speak with Kimberly **, who was "out sick." I was referred to the "Will **, the Service Director." They gave me no invoice on the spoiler, but Mr. ** asked me for my credit card information that I paid with. I promptly provided. Yet, he stated that he could not do anything about this until he speaks with the Accessories Manager, Kimberly **. He took my phone number and stated that he would contact me shortly.

I waited for several days. No callback. I had to place two follow-up calls to Johnson City Honda before Mr. ** decided to call me. My husband answered the call. Mr. ** informed my husband that he could not do anything about this situation until he speaks with the "owner, Joe **," and Kimberly **, the accessories manager. That he's made some adjustments, but he is unable to do anything about this situation, yet. My husband stated that he felt that he was being given the "double talk," to the point that my husband got very irritated and told Mr. **, "Don't call my ** home again. I will contact the Honda Corporation and let them settle it."

Well, the nightmare continues. We contacted Honda Corp. (1-800-999-1009) reported and filed a customer complaint. We certainly thought and believed that Honda would step-in and resolve this in our favor. It was quite obvious, at least we thought so. Two days after making our complaint to Honda they did absolutely nothing, other than make contact with the owner, Joe **. Honda Customer Support relayed a message. The owner stated that he was willing to make an adjustment to the invoice, "if your husband would make an apology to his Service Director." My husband and I are just flabbergasted. In fact, we are so outdone by the disparate treatment by Johnson City Honda and the American Honda Motor Corp., we have plans to pay-off this vehicle by year's end and trade it for either a Ford Fusion or a Lexus. We are so done with any Honda product.

Priced my new car on truecar.com, JC Honda was competitive in price compared to other dealers around. So drove out of state to buy from them. However, the customer service is poor. I feel you get what you pay for. This dealership is considered a "unit" one, which means they do high quantity selling. So they are more worried about 'pushing' you through than customer service or ANY follow through. I bought a new car from them but would have rather paid an extra $500 or more to get better customer service from not only sales guys but the Managers themselves. I failed to receive all my items that were supposed to come with the new car and had left message for them.

Three days later and no one ever called back to see if it was taken care of. Really? Spend over 45 minutes on phone, majority of time on hold to get problem rectified. They were not upfront and honest about the mistakes they made and letting things fall through the cracks. If you want to customer service and don't mind the aggravation to get a slightly better price deal, then you can try here. I feel I should have taken their quote and had a 'nicer' dealership match it.

Took car in for repairs and it was returned NOT fixed and they had no interest in fixing it. Had to take it to another repair shop. Don't think the mechanics know what they're doing. Management didn't give a hoot.

Consumer Increased Rating!

If you read my first review, you know what all we went through trying to get the car we traded for detailed as promised. After they wasted my fiancee time, on a couple occasions, (telling her to bring vehicle and it would be detailed) and never completing the job. They finally got it right. We went through a lot, but it's finally over, and they did finally get the car detailed. I would recommend getting any extras the salesman may add in writing. A simple mistake turned into a huge inconvenience. After a week of nothing but disappointment, they finally got it right.

Michael of Bluff, TN on

Original Review

My fiance and myself stopped in to look at a Used Honda Pilot, Saturday at the Johnson City Honda. We ended up negotiating a trade. Her Accord and boot, for the Pilot. The Pilot was very dirty on the inside and we wanted it detailed as part of the deal and the headlights restored. He agreed to it and also said he would fill the tank. We made the trade and paid the difference on Monday like we agreed. They were suppose to have the Pilot detailed and ready for her Monday morning. She gets there and it wasn't ready, she waits all day (missing work) and they kept making excuses why it was taking so long. So I contacted the salesman, who we made the deal with, and he says they got it done and she had left.

My fiance calls me immediately and says the only thing done were the headlights. We had planned on meeting at the dealership that evening to bring the salesman the rest of the $. Which we did, and I went in and spoke to a manager, explaining what was going on. He tells me the salesman made a mistake and wasn't suppose to agree to detail the car and he was only allowed to put $10 in it bc they called it a Bargain Row car. But he also says if he told me that, they would honor it. So the salesman made a mistake. He admitted his mistake and did seem to be trying to get it done.

The salesman texts me later (instead of calling) and says to let him know when I schedule the detail appt. I was blown away, that wasn't my job, or my mistake. So I explain that and ask him to please do it like he agreed on. He called back and made her appointment for Thursday (today). She goes first thing this morn, gives a list of what she expected, as I was told to tell her to do. They did give her a loaner car, as they should of. She leaves it for detail at 9 am and was told to return at 5.

After all the frustration and just bad business, I felt relief, hoping they would finally get it done. She returns at 5pm expecting everything done. The engine was cleaned up good, but nothing else was touched. It still had fries in floor, that were there when we test drove it. Now they want her to take it back in the morning and drop it off again. A simple mistake, with a simple fix, them honor the deal agreed on, turned into a stressful, unprofessional, worst car buying experience ever.

Hopefully they will remember to get it done tomorrow. I expected much better service, my fiance had been a customer and had her car serviced there regularly. I'm shocked how this has played out. I have honestly had better experience buying from a total stranger, and small car lots In the area. All we want is them to honor the deal we made like they agreed too. She is gonna try again tomorrow, wasting more of her time and $. We told them we didn't even want the gas (after they told us the salesman had made a mistake). That's wasn't our fault, they should honor every word said, we wouldn't of traded had we known they obviously don't know how to do business. And care less about wasting my fiance's (a customer's) time on a daily basis.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Johnson City Honda?

I would just like to echo your other comlaints about the etch fee and the high administration fees which totaled approxoimately $700. The dealership refused to sell me the 2008 Honda Fit unless I paid these fees. Ironically, after paying almost $400 in Administrative fees, the dealership failed to sign the title to put the car into my name. I have just mailed the title back to them.

Additionally, I was required to pay some taxes which totaled about $146 although I do not live in Tennessee.

I purchased a 2008 Civic 15 months ago from this same dealership,different salesman. I have experienced difficulty in driving my civic because of the blind spots. I have also needed more seating area, since I have become a grandmother. So I went back to the same dealership. Danny met us in the parking lot. I told him what I was looking for and because I have only had my civic for 15 months, I owe more than the car is worth. He assures us that they could help us out with a really close payment. He told us the two cars that it would work on, we looked at both. Camry 07, and Honda 07.

We purchased the Honda Accord 07. I didn't ask for any gas. He had me sign a paper stating they owed us 10 gallon of gas. So when all the paperwork was done, (changed my insurance and everything),I asked for the gas ticket before we drove off in our Honda Accord. Danny laughed at me and says, you've got almost 1/2 tank. So we left in our new car.

The next day I recieved a courtesy call from a lady at the dealership, she told me there was'nt anything wrong that she wanted to know how we liked the Accord. I liked it. The following day Danny R calls me a 6:00pm and tells me that Honda Financial won't go that much on a 07, and that we have to bring the car back. We were shocked. We returned the car the next day, we were both sad and in shock. He tried to get us to buy a new one. A lot more money. We came back home with our original 08 Civic. Today is September 18, we received a letter in the mail from Danny congratulating us on our Accord. And about how we should tell our friends and family about them. If that doesn't add salt to the wound. In our opinion, that was so unprofessional and so unpersonable I,we, will never go back.

Purchase date Oct 17 2008 Used 2008 Accord purchased at Johnson City Honda. Price agreed upon was $18,000, financed through Johnson City Honda (although we can do it anywhere.).

My husband and I shopped there three different times that week looking at cars and offering bids. In fact Honda called my husband the day after we first were there with info about loans etc I returned the following day and offered a price however, my bid was turned down but they offered other prices for 5 different cars, I left and came back with my husband the next day, found a car and made an offer which was not accepted at first as we were driving away the salesman Scott came running and waving at us to stop as the used car manager had accepted our offer of $18,000. At no time, and in no place was there anything said or mentioned or a poster or paper placed in view about a $299.00 charge for ETCH, an insurance that the manager said we must have in order to purchase the car which we found out about after the purchase and a day later which is policy you cannot cancel I recently learned. I am insured with Allstate and we have been for many years, Allstate informed me that I do not need to have this insurance.

The day of purchase we were first asked if we would like to buy a car cleaning and

washing contract by our salesman Scott, we said no and then were told that we would then move on and pay the price +++ which we thought meant to be the high administration charge of $389.95, registration $35.00 and tax $1508.37 (I believe we were taxed on the ETCH as well as paying interest for it but we didnt know the figures until way later. During this time we were first with the salesman, then shuffled on to his manager then with, as they referred to the Finance Dept. person, The Money Man?. The Money Man? a young man named Ryan proceeded to try and pressure sell us various car products, contracts for maintenance, oil changes, body work..etc each with different pricing and new and betterdeals my husband was annoyed and announced as he rose that he was leaving.

Had we knwn then about ETCH we would have! The young man said you havent signed the papers yet, my husband sat down and the signing began and Ryan continued talking about which car product we would purchase and what the cost would be.

The signing was rapid, my husband was upset at that point, one paper over another while Ryan talked about the administration fee, registration that they would take care of getting for us and the loan date and agreement and when to pay and the car care plan we took his wor if we did not want it he would remove it from the contract and we signed and signed. During this period of time ETCH was NEVER mentioned although I did sign the ETCH paper which we later saw has my husband's name on it which I alone signed. This paper does not state we have to have this insurance. I later saw in small print on the back of this paper the rest of the story.

Anyway, there were too many papers, too much car plan talk and we should not have signed without a thorough review. We trusted that the contract was correct and never noticed that the sales price said 18,299.00.
We went home and reviewed all the paper work and were shocked by this thinking this was a mistake and that ETCH was another car service we called as we did not read the paper at the dealership, just too many papers, stress and too old we're 66 and 68. They said it was Honda policy and would not sell a car without it..we by the way put down $10,000.00 on this car I went there Monday Oct 20th to talk to them about this and they insisted it was a Honda policyafter many questions they finally told me it was not a Honda policy but the dealership Johnson City Honda policy,and that no one ever mentioned this ETCH policy, nor was it on any sales material on the vehicles themselves and no sign anywhere within or without the store! Why would we know? I told them I was sorry we signed the contract before reading it, actually I told them that several times during the at least one hour talks I just foolishly trusted that the amount would be correct and business would be conducted fairly and honestly that they would

honor the price which we all agreed upon at $18,000.00.

When talking to the Head Manager on Monday, Mr. Tom Kelly, while I was in the office of the Money Man? along with the Used Car Manager, I told Mr. Kelly that we didnt know about ETCH, all the other sales and finance people agreed we did not know about ETCH which didnt seem to make any difference with Mr. Kelly, and that I was sorry I didnt read the contract before signing it and would he remove the charge. After a few moments he looked at me and simply said, Is this your signature? I said yes and he left the room. I told the used car manager that we never would have purchased this vehicle had we known and that I would be happy to return it to them now the used car salesman appeared upset and excused himself, followed Mr. Kelly outside only to return and apologize profusely. We are forced to pay for not only something we dont want or feel we need but for a scam.

This should have been part of the discussion regarding price besides what they needed to sell this car for no one ever even once talked about ETCH as part of what they have to have. This is a major violation of our contract! Ryan said he would remove the car care plan charge which was for $495.00 however, as of Friday Nov 14 Honda Fiancial has not received word that JCHonda are returning our payment which means that the charge for the car care plan was not removed. What can we do other then complain and caution people to take their business elsewhere. Also, they said the car was in perfect condition and was checked but when I noticed through a button I did not know about that the oil was at 60% I brought it to Honda in Bristol. They said the car needed to be alligned and the tires rotated...also an oil change...to the tune of $127. more dollars... Damage Resulting = so far I am out the ETCH money$299.00,. am not sure if I'm entitled to a refund for the other repair work done I believe a few days after they sold us the car and they have not removed the $495 plus interest and taxes on the car care plan they said they would remove but at present still exists.

They overcharged me by $500 on a routine 100k mile checkup. It got to the point where my mother had to make an appointment with the owner. They admitted fault and said they'd give us $200 back. That would at least be something, but they still haven't sent it to us (the 'it's in the mail' dodge routine) and we've been calling them over and over about this.

The second time I went there was shortly after the checkup because my engine light turned on. They proceeded to charge me $350 for something that was DEFINATELY under warranty (emissions recall for 96/97 civics) and it took me calling California and talking to Honda USA to force them to concede to their mistake. However, dodging me yet again, they said 1.) They'd mail me my check, then 2.) No we can't mail you your check you have to come in (I have to drive from another city) and now, 3.) Oh we're sorry you'll have to sign papers, but that person isn't in today. I've been waiting since August for both of my refunds...4 months and still nothing, not even an apology!

On a personal level, many of them are rude and unprofessional. They were playing with remote control toys when I drove out there yesterday waiting for someone to help me. It's almost a joke how appalling their service is.

In summary, the management placates you with false promises until you're too tired to fight over it anymore. I will never do business with them ever again.

I bought a brand new 2005 Honda Civic w/ an automatic transmission in early September. The car I wanted was not on the lot, so they had to deliver from a local market. A couple of days later, I returned complaining about a problem. The car would violently downshift between third and second gear. Christopher O'Quinn told me that it was a common problem w/ new Hondas, and he advised I drive the car for longer period to wear the brakes in.

A week and a half later, I returned to make a service appointment. They told me to bring it back on the weekend to check it out. They gave me an individual that would not be able to do anything until Monday because "He had to call Honda Tech Line, and I had to come back Monday morning." It turns out I needed a new transmission on a car w/ 1300 miles. However, Honda does not make new transmissions available. They wanted to install a "remanufactured" transmission. I refused, so I am now exhausting every avenue until it is resolved.

Make sure, before you sign the contract, that new parts will be used as replacement parts, and DO NOT BUY YOUR CAR FROM JOHNSON CITY HONDA!!!! They are the most useless dealership I have had the pleasure to do business with.

Johnson City Honda Company Profile