Harley-Davidson
1.51/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Harley-Davidson

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Harley-Davidson Reviews

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

M8 Transmission Transfer. Purchased a NEW 2019 Ultra Limited in August. Was not told about the TA0022 Harley Tech Article, Transmission to Primary Oil Transfer. I did my 1000 fluid change only to find 14oz in the Transmission it, it holds 28oz, Oil went into the Primary. Called the Dealer. They said, "Finish the oil changes, then drive it and keep an eye on it." Next day we went for a 190 mile ride, 1/2 way I could hear a loud winding in the gears. We stop for 20 minutes and made our way home, once at home found it transferred again. Gears require oil otherwise they will heat up and get warped causing a winding noise. HD and the local dealer are still refusing to replace the Trans. HD treats you like your dirt from Corp to the local dealership. Extremely Poor Customer Service from HD and wish I had known this prior. I would have never bought this bike.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Had a 2002 FXDWG3 as soon as I got back from Iraq. Loved the 88 but the bike when through 3 stators in under 10,000 miles. Next was the 2005 FXDB, loved the handling but the engine always blew out oil of the stock air cleaner on long rides. 9500 miles the fuel pump quit. Got tired of it, thought the 107 and a FLTRU would be an improvement. Nope. Before the bike had its break in extortion performed, my engine oil levels would be low on the dipstick. So I’d add oil. Then run it and check again after my ride. Overfull. So I’d pump it out until it was half way on the stick. Took it to Big St Charles Harley in St Louis to look at it. They tried saying to me that I was losing a quart of oil through my air breather...

Took it back around 1500 miles with same issue, this time with an aftermarket intake. Same place same rocket scientist mech. He pulled the filter and said “Look, there’s your quart of oil.” I told him to grab new filter and poor a quart of oil into and see what that looks like. I’ve switched to about 6 dealerships in the STL metro area, all with incompetent mechanics and despicable workmanship. They did the warranty replacement for the oil pump, which was the same exact pump unless they lied and said they did something but didn’t. They did the vent tube recall to prevent the oil transfer. The bike still loses power and feels like it’s in limp mode. Not fun for merging onto a highway. The breaks have created a death wobble because the dealer said they weren’t warped enough for Harley to replace. The one dealer put a new rear tire on and when I checked the psi, it was 65psi, way above the max load recommended 41.

I’ve seen holes in castings below tappet cuffs and have had several other vet buddies saying they have hd non stop issues. Whether it was the 107, 114 or 117. Stay away from this imported garbage and go Indian or check out the prices of the BMW or Yamaha touring bikes. At least 10k less than a CVO and far better technology and mechanics. I won’t go to another dealership to use their bathroom. Any parts needed are aftermarket, like S&S. PS MMI doesn’t make people experts and seems to create an arrogance among those dweeb mechanics. Finally found a former Marine Avionic Tech that has a speed shop. He has my business for as long as I own the POS.

Get expert buying tips about Motorcycle Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Bought at end of Jan.2019; from R&R in Jasper GA. Paid extra for extended warranty, was sent letter owner had signed off all set. Went back to Ga. in May for wedding, went to R&R. Told them about brake problems. Couldn't help a 'dealership' warranty problem. Never said a word about they hadn't handled the transfer! Took to dealer in Mass. June, brakes completely gone! Emergency brake doesn't completely release unless 'you snap it'. Showed them the ext. warranty booklet, and letter from R&R, we still ended up paying several hundred dollars. Clutch, shifter, and reverse motor; not touched.

Had respected independent dealer verify, clutch, and shifter shaft had a lot of play, for 3,000 miles. Didn't know about reverse motors. Recommended dealer he knew. Took it up next available appointment, Sept.; restated above problems getting worse! A week later got bike, with bill for over $200 dollars they did nothing, except write up snide insulting comments, about 50 plus year riders!

The extended warranty we paid for, expired on Oct. 11. The girl at the service desk assured us the problems were documented and would be covered if anything happened! At Biketoberfest in Daytona, Oct. 17-20, the reverse motor quit completely! The gear shifter shaft with too much play left us stuck several time in intersections and traffic. We called Corporate, explained all this, have doc. to back-up, and they're not willing to do a thing! The reverse motor alone $1400 without installation! I want them to BUY THEIR LEMON BACK!! Wish us luck.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Very dissatisfied with the service. We were 400+ miles from home on a cycle trip. We broke a lower front shock and limped in. Service writer was very helpful, checked that the dealership had the new parts and service manager even stopped by and said they had take offs as well, I chose the new chrome full kit. About $1000 with labor. Said they would have it out in 3-4 hours. We walked to a restaurant and received a call from a salesperson within 15 minutes wanting me to trade my 2009 Electra glide in on a new one. I explained I had customized mine and spent lots of money to get it exactly how I wanted it. Lots of life left in it with only 35,000 miles. I said no, that I just want to repair it. Within 10 minutes I received a text saying “no parts to repair your bike, ready for pickup”.

We walked back and nobody could explain how they had the parts but when I did not want to buy a new bike, then they did not have the parts. Charged me $63.00. Said my oil filter was loose and seeping a little oil. The bike ahead and the bike behind me got the same story, neither were repaired but wanted to sell them a bike. Did I mention we limped in 400+ miles from home and was told there was nothing they could help with? I believe the dealership and most Harley Davidson dealerships have forgotten that service sells new bikes, not design, not salesman. When out on the road, people want to be taken care of, that is what keeps people coming back to a brand.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I was reading on FB about a couple who sent a check to Harley Davidson for storage of a Nike, Harley returned the check explaining that they will not charge active military to store a bike while deployed, wow that is truly amazing especially in this day and age, we need more companies like this that realize without our service members these companies would not have the ability or freedoms to make money, kudos Harley. My hats off to Harley and of course all of our service members out there fighting for this country.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I have been riding Harley since 1972. The only good reliable Harley you will ever have is a Sportster which still uses the evolution motor which is tried and true.

The only big twins I would ever put my faith in is 1984 - 1998. After 1998 it gets progressively worse. Watch the video on this link which will give you an accurate mechanical explanation of the failures than can occur. I am not saying it will happen to you specifically but hey just look at the reviews here guys. If you want a reliable cruiser with a big motor get a Yamaha. If you want a Harley ride a Sportster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHqQja_trnI

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I purchased a new 2018 Ultra Classic 10 months ago. Two weeks after purchase it was recalled for a clutch. It took 5 months to get the bike fixed. I drive my bike daily and every time I rode I had to worry about the clutch failing. Recall was done in March I went on vacation. 2200 miles into my trip clutch failed. Had a minor accident. Took it to nearest dealer for repair. I was under the impression that a H.O.G. member traveling would get taken care of first. Not the case. Dealer couldn't care less. My wife and I spend two days in a motel waiting for parts. Parts arrived. Watch my bike set there for 2 more hour before they started repairs.

After the repair we loaded them to travel and waited another hour for paperwork. I've had 05 Dyna Low Rider with 100,000 miles on it, a 08 Ultra Classic with 120,000 miles. A 10 Ultra Classic traded my 12 Ultra Classic limited with 40,000 miles for the 18. Never had any major issue with any of them. But the 2018 is junk. I would trade back to my 2012 straight up. It is a better bike all around. Harley has traded its quality and customers service for the Almighty dollar. Hope that work out for them but they will never see another penny from me. I have purchased my last Harley product.

Original review: July 26, 2019

On 6/30/19 I traded off 99 Dyna for a 2019 Street Glide. The bike had 6mi on when I drove off. I'm a daily rider and have been for 30 + yrs. About a week ago I had reached my break in miles and was going on a short ride after work (about 50 mi) and it started acting funny when I was taking off. I'd get through 1-2 gear but when I hit third and gave it some gas about 2000 rpms it started bucking. Hit 456 and no problems.

So the next day I took it back to the dealer but on the way it did the same thing. About 3 blocks from the shop it all of a sudden made a loud clunk chuk noise and I lost 3456 gears. I made to Latus Motors Harley. The next day. I went to pick up a loaner and then told me the trans came apart. Some bolts had come out in the gearbox and destroyed it. Has anyone else had this happen or is it like they say a fluke. Please let me know because I don't want a lemon. I bought it because my 99 was tired and I couldn't ride most of the last 2 years due to breakdowns and and don't need another problem bike especially one that cost me so much.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I bought a 2019 CVO Street Glide. At 212 miles the center console came loose and was sticking up. At 442 miles the media door cover blew off on HWY and at 501 miles the speaker was on right fairing blew and is rattling and left lower fairing vent won't open. Took to the dealer. They look at it. The door blew off because Harley uses double-sided tape to hold it on and the same with the center console double-sided tape so you spend 41,000 dollars on a bike held together by tape. The parts got ordered over 3 weeks ago. No parts.

I traded in my 2018 Street Glide for this. I had nothing but problems with it transferring trans fluid to the primary. Was completely dry. Had to add 1 quart to trans. Took to dealer. They changed fluids under warranty. Said they couldn’t find a transfer problem. Get it back. Every start in the morning loud knocking. So at 19,546 miles I traded for this Taped up 2019 CVO. Front tire dry rotted when I bought it new. Problem with speakers. Remember all this at a low cost of 41,000 dollars. Remember you get what you pay for so don’t go cheap. LOL.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Thursday, May 23, 2019 while riding my brand new Harley-Davidson 2018 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE ($45,000) Motorcycle on a weekend trip to Louisiana, approximately 370 miles from my residences in North Texas, I encountered engine trouble, Engine Oil Burning Odor, Excessive Engine Heat, Loss of Power, Slight Ticking Sound in Engine, Excessive Fuel Used 5.54 gallons per 100 miles.

Upon arrival at hotel, I checked engine oil, found to be approximately 1 qt of engine oil low, no leaking observed from outside of engine area. I immediately contacted selling dealership at approximately 5:00pm and spoke with Service Manager and explained engine issues observed. I requested he call local area dealership to notify them of the situation and request a trailer to pick-up motorcycle at hotel, unfortunately H-D dealership was closed when I had tried to contact them to confirm our conversation.

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at approximately 9:30am, after repeated calls and voice message left, I received a call from Dealership Service Department at approximately 10:00am. Service adviser said he was sending a trailer to the hotel to pick-up the motorcycle to bring to the dealership. We arrived at dealership with the motorcycle at approximately 11:45am, where I had described the above issues to the Service Department. The motorcycle was rolled into the shop area where a Service Tech checked engine oil and confirmed approximately 1 qt low, I was also notified black engine oil was drained from lower engine sump area due to excessive oil pump sumping issues.

Service department also notified me that the motorcycle was connected to a diagnostics computer and was reporting a blocked/voided warranty issue by the manufacture (Harley-Davidson) due to an unapproved tuning product. Service Adviser had contacted Harley-Davidson technical support to clarify the warranty issues. After over 24 hours of waiting for H-D warranty repair status, I was notified by Service Adviser, Saturday, May 25, 2019 at approximately 11:30am that he had received an email from Technical Support and after reviewing the diagnostic screenshot data, there was a valid calibration ID/Part # installed, although he was “Confident” that there was unapproved tuning performed.

No warranty repairs where authorized by H-D or performed by Dealership, I had picked up the motorcycle at 4:00pm on Saturday, May 25, 2019 and provided personal transportation to return the vehicle to my home in North Texas. With no other recourse, I had decided to take my 2018 CVO Road Glide (FLTRXSE) to a Reputable Independent Engine Builder on Thursday, May 30, 2019 GMR Performance (Steve). I had explained all the above issues & circumstances surrounding the engine issues to the owner. He agreed to disassemble the engine and inspect to see if any damage has been done. On Monday, June 3, 2019 I had received a call from Steve with bad news, the engine had several defective & fatal issues requiring extensive repairs. Steve had also documented some of the issues concerning Harley-Davidson's New Milwaukee Eight Engine Designs (videos can be viewed at GMR Facebook page).

In conclusion, although the Motorcycle ECU (Electronic Control Unit) was changed by by an Independent Tuning Technician using an aftermarket tuning device, this was not the cause of the engine failures. The engine re-build will cost $$$ replacing basically all internal parts manufactured by H-D & replacing with New Precision Aftermarket parts, also repairing the existing H-D Engine Crank by another Premium Independent Engine Builder. The New Milwaukee-Eight engine has numerous internal issues concerning Lack of Engine Oil, Fluid Transfer, Sumping, all of which can be viewed and researched online by Google and other search engines. There are thousands of customers throughout the USA that are complaining and are outraged by the problems & lack of concern by the Manufacture.

(Washington, DC) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) reached a settlement with Harley-Davidson, Inc.,

Harley-Davidson Motor Company Group, LLC, Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company, Inc., and Harley-Davidson Motor Company Operations, Inc. (collectively Harley-Davidson), that requires the companies to stop selling and to buy back and destroy illegal tuning devices that increase air pollution from their motorcycles, and to sell only tuning devices that are certified to meet Clean Air Act emissions standards. Harley-Davidson will also pay a $12 million civil penalty. The above lawsuit also includes & requires H-D to check (Police) any Motorcycle purchased after 2017 for aftermarket tuning changes & Void Power Train Warranty. This in turn allows H-D to walk away from any & all Power Train Defects of any kind.

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout