Harley Davidson

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Within the first 2,000 miles of new motorcycle, voltage regulator went out (covered under warranty), speedo & tach fogged inside leaving stains/streaks, now all gauges do not work (will be covered under warranty). A really smooth/comfortable nice bike to ride... if it were not in the shop. C'mon Harley, this shouldn't happen with a new $30K bike.

Bought the 2016 street glide special in 2015 and it has been the worse bike that I have ever bought. I have been having hesitation problems and the dealer has done all they could do to comfort me but I would like a product that I can rely on. I have spent so much money trying to get this bike to where I feel comfortable that it won't shut off on me during my ride. My spark plugs I change too often because of the black deposit left and the blow back that I experience too often. my Harley experience has been a nightmare and I wouldn't recommend this company to any more of my friends.

2026 Street Glide making a loud knocking noise after bike warms up. Dealers call it a neutral rattle but say nothing can be done. After $20,000 spent and extremely unhappy because of a knocking noise that's unbearable, Harley Davidson should fix this issue. I was offered a trade in at a higher interest rate and higher monthly payment. Harley Davidson knows of this issue and DOESN'T CARE. Is this a safety issue? No one knows because Harley Davidson doesn't care. My next step is hitting friends up in the media that are going crazy to do this story. I'm trying to get the dealership in MD to handle this the right way but it's becoming clear that Harley Davidson has their money so they don't care about consumer issues.

I have owned the 2003 Super Glide Anniversary and the 2013 Softail Heritage Classic. Both were great bikes!! No problems or issues. Made me proud to be Harley owner/rider!! Great experiences at Scottsdale, Az, Cowboy-Beaumont, Tx, Barnett-El Paso, Tx and Stubbs, Houston. Stubbs has been the best for service and customer care!!! Just picked up a new 2016 Freewheeler Trike. Hope it will be as good as my other Harleys! Went to the steel-toe factory tour in York, PA. Got see how the Softail Heritage and trikes were built. An amazing amount of detail goes into building these bikes and numerous quality control before they are shipped out! Recommend the tour to anyone that can make it. Well worth it. Steel toe over basic tour!! Just wanted to put in good words for an American made product. I know there will be issues with a few bikes unfortunately when 1,000's are made. Mine have been great.

From 1995 to date I have owned 17 Harley Davidson motorcycles. Basically all the models except the Blackline or Springer Softail. I have always been pleased with the product especially since the design upgrades that were implemented from 2000 to today. Yes, I have had minor battery issues and some new bike recall corrections over the years, but overall the fit and finish of the product over the years has been stellar. Harley Corporate and Engineering R&D truly listens to the common rider and makes changes to the performance and safety of the motorcycles.

My last 4 Harleys have been purchased from High Country Harley in Frederick, Colorado. As to the dealer's professionalism and attention to service, my overall experiences have always been top notch. I highly recommend the Harley Davidson brand, both motorcycles and motor clothes. There will never be any other bike in my garage... ever! Thank you, HD for always striving to be the best!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

I bought the 2016 Road Glide Special in December of 2015. In January of 2017 the motorcycle has more rust on the front frame and all chrome than my S.O.B Motorcycle had after 10 years of the same care and use. I took it back in to the Harley dealer that I purchased it from to sell it back and was told they would only give me $8000 due to the rust. The manager of the store actually told me "You should have bought the chrome package." Really I should have bought a package because a Harley will rust out from under me in less than a year.

Now I am stuck with a $27000 rusted out motorcycle. The bike still runs though. I was smart enough to buy the 7 year warranty that doesn't cover rust. So every month when a turn/stop light burns out I can take it in and get a free bulb. Or when the clutch stops working they have to pay for the repair. Harley Davidson does not make a good product and I would recommend to anyone thinking about buying a Harley to buy from a different manufacturer for a third of the cost.

I have owned an ultra classic 2011 and 2013, and I now own an ultra classic limited low. I purchased all three bikes from Chunky River Harley in Meridian, MS. I have put over 100,000 miles on the 3 bikes (they were purchased new). And I did have one or two things go bad on each bike, but they replaced the parts and fixed the bikes each time at no cost to me. I think the 2015 may be my last bike, but I would recommend this Harley dealer if you are interested in purchasing a new bike. I can't tell you about a used one, but they have fixed anything that needed fixing. 99.5 percent of the miles with smooth riding. I am now at over 250,000 miles on Harleys. By the way the 2015 Low is an excellent bike for shorter riders. I love it. And would recommend it to anyone. A big improvement for the 2013 or the 2011.

Harley Davidson is not what it used to be. I bought a brand new Harley 883 Iron Horse in 2016. After 4 months my battery died and I was not close to a Harley Dealership. Bought a new battery to get home and Harley would not compensate me because I changed the original battery. Then I was rear ended in November of 2016 by a driver texting. Waiting for a tank replacement; Harley has indicated they hope to have one for the bike by February 2017. Love Harley but my next bike will NOT be a Harley likely a Triumph or BMW. Harley does not understand customer service.

I own a Harley Iron 883 in Goa, India and have been maintaining it with good care. I use a trickle charger bought from the Harley dealer to keep the battery charged. Having changed the battery after 3 years, and bought the new one from the Goa Dealer (Tusker), within just over 2 yrs, the bike would not start. I sent the battery to the dealer who checked it and said it has to be changed. I was startled that a 9000 battery would need changing in two years.

I argued with the dealer who simply took shelter that the warranty on the battery was one year, and there is nothing they can do. I mentioned that many Harley blogs mentioned a typical battery life of 4+ yrs. Exasperated, I wrote to Harley HO in India on rideindia@harley-davidson.com and over the last 4 weeks after a few reminders, they washed their hands off the matter saying, "We would also like to confirm that we have empowered our dealership to take decisions in this regards." Have once again protested. Hope someone at Harley takes cognizance of the fact that there is something wrong if a Rs.9000 lasts 2 years - I.e. 4,500 cost only for a battery! INR 9000 = approx US$ 140.

I had my 02 Dyna FXDX serviced 6.2016 to prepare for a 2k miles trip from Olympia WA to Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. I had both mechanical and safety checks with all 3 holes service. I got as far as Missoula MT and developed top end noise. Spent the night in town and left bike at Missoula HD dealer. The next day I was informed that the crankcase oil was low and tech added 2.5 quarts of oil and remedied the top end noise. They also performed a compression test and the result was it was normal however tech had mentioned that engine longevity was compromised because of inadequate amount of oil in the engine. I got as far as Helena MT and the bike started smoking white smoke thru the exhaust.

I towed the bike to Butte MT HD dealer and I was told that a retainer clip was missing that hold the wrist pin to the piston. I had the bike shipped back to Northwest HD Lacey WA and considered performing a 95 Upgrade or Long Block engine replacement. The service writer tells me that with the Long Block engine replacement that it will be 25 hrs for them to do the work. I contacted several Harley dealers and for the same job the range was from 11 to 15 hrs. I called HD customer care and asked them if there is a set amount of hours a dealer to perform this work and to no avail. Pretty much got blown off. Thanks Harley Davidson. This variance of tech time to do the same work is ridiculous.

I have a 2015 Streetglide Special. At 2000 miles, the compensator started to make noise just like the one in my 09. They fixed that one twice! But they fixed it. I bought a new bike in 2012. NO problems! But my 15 is a turd! The dealer in Manitowoc, WI put a shim in it and it was a lot better. But it still makes noise! They told me there was nothing else they could do. I told them to put a new compensator in and they said "no"! That was last year in Aug. Have not returned since, and never will! I called customer service in Milwaukee. They didn't even TRY to make things better. I guess after buying 8 brand new ones and 4 used ones, they don't need you as a customer anymore! I went and tried out an Indian! I love it! WAY BETTER than H-D! I just need to convince the wife!

I purchased a 2016 Street Glide. That has turned into a lemon. Clutch issues that they did repair finally after the second failure. Still have a stalling out issue they cannot fix. Service department says it's normal with the newer bikes. The older models did not have the issue. Funny a $25,000 motorcycle can do that and if it's a Harley it's normal. Sales dept are great and very nice and generally do care until it gets to the service department lack of communication. Technicians are not very good. Buy the bike there, get your service elsewhere.

When you spend 25,000 for a Harley Davidson you expect to get more than 30,000 miles on your bike before you have to change out the cam tensioners. Harley Davidson should have came out with a recall on all their 2000 to 2007 twin cams engines. They say it only happens to 1 percent of the twin cams but I know of 6 people that I ride with that needed this repair. I am 56 yrs old, always owned a Harley but they suck and I hope they go under. That repair cost 3000 dollars should had been a recall. Shame on you Harley Davidson and if GEICO insurance knew about this they would not use that bike in their commercial. Next time I will buy a crotch rocket.

50,000 miles of great riding and excellent reliability. I have the stock twin cam 96ci engine with stage one. The only thing needed outside of regular maintenance was the replacement of the front wheel bearings at 26,000 miles. No leaks, still looks like new.

I now have 36,000 miles on a 2006 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe. I love this bike and have been all over the United States (California to North Carolina, South Dakota down to Texas) Always dependable, no major repairs, I do regular oil changes, tires and brakes. Chrome is holding up great after a year left outside near the Ocean and Sun in California. For a 10 year old motorcycle it looks almost like the day I got it from the dealer.

About 7 years ago I bought a 2002 Road King from Hot Rod Harley in Muskegon MI. I also bought the extended warranty and had my bike in Hot Rod Harley for the intermittent miss for the whole life of my warranty contract at $50.00 a pop. I also was on several road trips and had it into Dimondale Harley Davidson shop for this same miss. After that warranty ended I was able to purchase another extended warranty and my deductible was at $50.00 and the Bike was never fixed. They talked me into putting a Tuner on it, it never helped. So here I am out several hundred dollars and that bike was never fixed.

I traded a bike in for a 2003 Ultra Classic with 26,000 miles on it and having the same intermittent miss. Nobody seems to know what is wrong with it and I do not have the money to take it in again and again, with probably no answers. I am very disappointed in Harley Davidson. Not only that I am out several hundred dollars paying for repairs and parts unneeded that never worked.

I have been going to Wausau Harley-Davidson service department for the past 3-4 years and have received nothing but extremely poor attitudes and service. The summer of 2015 I had an air-ride suspension system put onto my 2004 Electra Glide and had nothing but problems. I had to take it back being that there was a crimped air line. In addition, I ordered a new air pressure gauge from the parts department who never told me when it came in. I finally called after 2 weeks. Upon additional service to my Electra Glide, my air-ride system, for a lack of better terms, worked like crap. Not only was I not getting a smooth ride in the rear end, but it seemed as though my front forks were slamming hard on every little bump. I didn't ride my Electra Glide for the rest of the summer. My final cost was around $1800.

Because of the terrible ride, I decided to trade in my 2004 Electra Glide for a 2008 Custom Softail at Wausau Harley-Davidson in spring 2016. The ride was a whole hell of a lot better. However, I started having new problems with my new bike. Upon purchasing the bike, I had the handlebars replaced by Wausau Harley-Davidson service department and for two months everything was fine. Until one day I noticed the mirrors were pointing straight up to the sky and I realized my handlebars had shifted a great deal. So as normal I called Wausau Harley-Davidson service department to have this problem looked at. The service person said we may have to pin the handlebars and I was okay with that.

Two days after picking up my 2008 Softail Custom, the mirrors were now pointing in a downward direction, at which time I decided to take off the riser covers and noticed not only were the handlebars 'not' pinned, the bars themselves did not have knurling. Most bikers know without proper knurling on the handlebars, the bars won't stay in place on the risers. Looking back at my service receipt, they also made a comment that the knurling looked good and everything looked fine. Not sure how the knurling could have looked good when it was non-existent! But only by the grace of God, I did not end up in a ditch somewhere with handlebars wrapped around my butt. So take this as a warning if you're serious about safety when it comes to your Harley-Davidson, DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT go to Wausau Harley-Davidson service department.

I have a brand new HD Softail Heritage. This motorcycle has overheated twice in the first 10K. During the last oil change I was told that there was excess metal in the oil. I contacted HD only to be told that HD would be happy to install a heat deflector at my cost. They didn't address the oil factor at all. Save your money and buy anything else.

I purchased a new 2014 Street Glide Special almost two years ago. Numerous and continual problems have cost me much time and money out of my pocket. I have experienced clutch problems from the very beginning. The chrome gas cap continuously needs to be adjusted in order to open. The clutch reservoir was recalled then hard bag connectors. I had the recall fix done for the fasteners but the bag still fell off. I had $200 worth of gear in the box. The dealership refused to offer me any store credit for my loss. I called Harley's consumer department and finally convinced them to do the right thing. To their credit they called the dealership and arranged for me to receive a credit.

I have complained since buying this bike about the difficulty of getting the bike into neutral. That can only happen about half the time. Often I'm sitting in 2nd or third at a stop light and can't get it into 1st. I have taken it numerous times to the dealership and they cannot duplicate the problem. I was originally told it would loosen up over time. Then three weeks ago on a trip to Montana the clutch goes out. I have to get the bike to Billings only to be told they don't carry the part. So, I have to get a hotel room while they fly in the clutch. On top of the room I have to pay a $100 shipping charge.

Two weeks after getting back I'm traveling along the interstate and the shifter goes completely out. I had to cruise at 15 miles per hour to the shop. I'm stuck in 1st gear. Currently the bike is sitting again in the shop. Everyone agrees I should not be having this many problems with a new bike but, I can't seem to get this problem resolved. At this point a consumer would think the dealerships would go over this bike with a fine tooth comb. That is not the case. When I suggest checking out the transmission they always balk. "We will test drive it after installing the new part and if that doesn't resolve the issue we will investigate further." I find this corporate mentality very frustrating. This isn't customer support. This is bottom dollar policy. I thought HD would reflect the polar opposite image.

I paid a premium price for a Harley. I expected professional support from this company that brands itself "Top American Quality." I have owned many bikes and have never had this kind of persistent problems. I hesitated for several years before buying a Harley because of the steeper prices and reliability issues. Now, should I get rid of this Street Glide for a loss and trade it in on an Indian or ride it out and hope there are no more issues? Just because you pay more doesn't necessarily mean you get more.

2015 Blue Street Glide from Houston Texas. After seeing so many reviews on bad HD bikes I have to jump in and say I have had a great experience so far with my SG. I purchased it in May of 2015 and now in Aug of 2016 I just rolled 18,500 miles on the bike and have had no issues. Yes I replaced the tires and front brakes so far but that is it. I think San Jacinto, Stubbs, Republic Harley and Geo Harley are the good places to go but then again they are within 30 min of my house. I had a Honda for 20 years and had very little issues with that bike and so far I feel the same with the HD...except now I can afford the repairs is needed and all the nice button down shirts I now own.

I'm the owner of a 2004 hd low rider with 8,783 miles on it, that has had a catastrophic engine failure. The failure is due to a well known (amongst dealers and hd mechanics), problem with the cam chain sliders. They are made of a plastic material that disintegrates, falls apart then lodges in the oil pump gears causing immediate engine failure without the oil light even coming on. To add insult to injury my hd dealer (Bergen Harley Davidson, n.j.) told me it was my fault. Now mind you that at 7,500 miles my bike was at this very dealer for service and new tires. I dropped it off before going on vacation. Of course while on vacation Bergen Harley called and told me that my bike with 7,500 miles on it needed new front and rear pulleys and a new belt. Then they called me back to tell me I needed a new front wheel. $ 2,700 later I got my bike back without any mention of replacing cam chain sliders which cost $15 bucks.

See how they operate, sell you thousands of dollars of unnecessary bolt on items that the 12 dollar an hr shop helper can install and ignore the important, potentially catastrophic issues, which require a mechanic, that are not as profitable. This bike was 10 years old when brought to Bergen Harley and no one there (so called mechanics, thought this was anything worth mentioning. They were perfectly happy selling me $ 2,700 of stuff I probably didn't need, but in their total failure as an advocate for the consumer did not fix or even mention the known twin cam 88 problems. Harley Davidson actually makes a repair to prevent this converting the cam tensioners to gear driven ones. Why wouldn't the dealer tell you of this? The kit is around $ 450 parts only. NO RECALL? Why?

If this was a car this problem would have been recalled. Harley Davidson doesn't even have the decency to inform owners of this problem. Now 2 years later Bergen Harley, not only has the nerve to tell me that this is something I should have known about, but won't even look at the bike, citing that it is now too old! They were all too willing to take my $ 2,700 two years ago for mostly unnecessary items, but 1,300 miles later they don't want to know me. Harley Davidson's customer service is no better.

It's no coincidence that they have no email address to forward your complaints to. They have a phone number where you call and tell them your problem, then they give you a number for your case. The reason they give you that number is so they can identify you when you call back, then promptly put you on permanent hold or just disconnect you all together. My case # is **, go ahead call hd customer service and give them that # and wait! See what happens! Just so we are all clear about the bike in question here, it's a 2004 low rider e.f.i. The bike has been stored in my living room and driven about 700 miles a year, and cosmetically in brand new condition. A bike that took many years of hard work to acquire but now sits useless like a 700 lb paperweight.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have a 2014 Street Glide Special. When I purchased this bike right from the first week I started hearing noise coming from the top end lifters etc. When I start the motor after about one minute the sound goes away! From time to time the noise gets louder. I have taken the bike in about 4 times for the same issue. The prior times they could not reproduce the noise so I would get it back every time. So I started to record with my cell phone every time I start the motor. I was fortunate to catch the noise so I produced the video to the service manager. They were forced to look into the issue and document that there is something wrong with the motor.

I am upset to say the least with Harley Davidson because they are wasting my time. My bike is in the shop now. My local shop here in El Paso has had my bike now for almost 3 weeks. What about my payment? They have my primary vehicle. My motorbike is not a luxury vehicle. I had a fat boy with that same engine and never had any issues. I will file for lemon law protection if the issue continues. I have to take it in 3 times within 12 month period one more to go!!!

My first bad experience with a Harley dealer was in 1979. I was looking for a FXE Lowrider 80". Finding only one in my area at that time, I was forced to purchase

from cycle barn of Seattle. When I went to buy the bike (cash) $5500, the young man I was dealing with approached his Mgr. with my money in his hand. The Mgr. promptly took my money and threw it over his shoulder. Second bad experience 2006, the wife and I had decided to get a Trike. So we promptly went down to our local Harley dealer to start our adventure. As at that time HD didn't make trikes.

We spoke with the management to arrange a combo deal with the local Leman dist. where we also paid in cash. I went back to show my nephew my new bike. Shazam they had sold the bike I had bought, I thought. This experience was a horrible one I was to get a 103 kit and true dual exhaust. Well no 103 but I got my pipes. Then at the first maint. check I was informed NO Warranty. I will never trust a Harley Dealer again. I would recommend buying Indian if you are just starting out on American.

On pulling into a parking lot, I drove over a small pothole in pavement And plastic lens of tail light broke loose and was now dangling and only attached by connection wires. The replacement light assembly costs $140 (not installed). Although I enjoy riding my Harley, I expected a better built part and NOT plastic!

I bought an iron motorcycle for my fiancé as a present. I set up easy payments with Harley to pay the monthly bill. Harley sent me emails with a confirmation of the payment only to find out that the payment did not actually go through. Instead of contacting me, the same way they contacted me to indicate that payment went through, they allegedly contacted my fiancé. As a result, my credit was affected as well as my fiancé and Harley took no responsibility. Harley stated that this was my fault and I should be more responsible. I will never ever buy any Harley products because they have the worse service ever. They do not care about the customers at all. While the products are okay, they are not worth dealing with Harley customer service. STAY AWAY.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The Dealership has fixed this problem with no dramas.

Di of Brisbane, Other on

Original Review

My Dyna Lowrider has shut off while going around a sharp corner on a narrow road and a faulty wire was to blame. Now the front disc brakes are not releasing properly which has brought my bike to a quick stop.

Last year in August of 2015 I had purchased a 2009 Harley Davidson 883 XL Sportster motorcycle. It was my 1st motorcycle that I was proud to buy being a US made on with only 1250 miles. I have used it to my enjoyment until I started having issues at 4000 miles. The oil light came up and it started stalling when I upshifted and picked up speed. Unfortunately in Illinois there are no lemon laws for buying pre-owned motorcycles so if you have an engine failure or breakdown you are screwed. I have to spend to replace the motor so prematurely and Harley Davidson does not honor it. I am disappointed at the dealers and the Harley Davidson motor company itself for how they treat customers when they buy their motorcycles.

I recently purchased a 2016 Street Glide and had a boom 2 audio system installed. I have had NOTHING BUT problems, blowing speakers after speaker as soon as they put new ones in they blow again. The dealership has notified HD corp. about the problem and they do nothing about it but tell the dealership to figure it out. It's not the dealership problem to figure it out. It's the headquarters to solve the problem. I've already been through 4 sets of speakers. I just want my money back or HD to figure out what is wrong.

I have a question. I had a 99 Fat Boy I rode for 18,000 miles but my wife wasn't comfortable. So, I got a 2002 Electraglide Classic. I rode this machine for 14 years almost to the date. I had no mechanical Problems. It was extremely dependable and trouble free. So I figure I'm mid 60s and want one more bike before I go. The problem I am having is I bought the 2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low at the end of August so I only rode about 1200 trouble free miles before having to put it up for the winter. (Ohio Blues) Since then I had a 02 sensor go out and replaced, fine. But now I have ridden about 1000 miles and have had the engine die as I pull from a stop sign turning right. This has happened twice now and the dealer has said he hasn't been able to duplicate the problem. I'm very concerned that this will happen again while pulling onto a highway or into traffic and I could be killed. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thinking of buying a Harley Davidson? Buy a Harley Davidson, you are only buying the name. Be prepared to spend a lot of money for upgrades, repairs and service or have the know how to repair your bike yourself and still end up paying way too much. I will never purchase another Harley Davidson. I own a 2013 FLHTK and owned a 2011 Fat Bob. Harley Davidson does not care about their customers. They only care about their bottom line. Harley Davidson manufactures some of the worst bikes. The only way to get Harley Davidson to change is to stop buying their products. Affect their bottom line and they will have to change their manufacturing, engineering and so on.

Harley Davidson Company Profile