1.56/5

395 Harley-Davidson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Bought my 2014 SGS in August 2014, bike had 2 miles on the odometer. It’s been 4 years and two months and my odometer is at 53,253 miles. I have no complaints with this bike. If it blows up tomorrow, I won’t complain as I hammer down on this thing like it’s a sports bike. Absolutely the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Bought my 2011 Road Glide after the 2012 models came out. Although I must agree that some of their Outsource Parts aren't up to par, I have still experienced minimal issues. Just in the last 3 years I have replaced the horn, battery, and the transmission shift lever. And today replaced the breather tubes - they disintegrated at the air cleaner and I'm pretty sure those ends were consumed by the motor - poor rubber compound used - no excuse for this particular failure. This ain't no bar bike and has never been on a trailer. I am not afraid to rev it up to pass or get on the freeway, or just to leave my friends in my rearview mirror, but I don't do too many burnouts... anymore. The 96-inch motor is as strong as the day I bought it. I am starting to consider stepping up to a new Milwaukee 8 but my 2011 Road Glide has not given me a good reason for a divorce.

Get expert buying tips about Motorcycle Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I recently purchased a used 2012 ultra limited from my local Harley dealership. The custom Sportster I still own is nice but I wanted a touring bike. So now that I owned a touring bike I went touring. I traveled mountain roads. I traveled interstates all with my wife on the back. We traveled several 1000 miles with absolutely no issues. We love our Harleys.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Yes they are very expensive and overpriced. (It wasn't always) but I don't understand why some people go cheap on maintenance, and accessories. You spent a lot of money on a fine product, but you don't care enough to spend money on the recommended products. I've read all the negative reviews and I can tell you from experience a lot of the problems posted are the result of poor riding skills. I've witnessed Autozone oil filters, this oil that oil to save a dollar? People in 4th gear within 1/4 mile doing 25mph. Burnouts with baggers. (Do you holeshot your Cadillac?). Can't afford a $1,000 repair? Why did you buy the bike? If you are going to beat on the motorcycle don't cry when it breaks. And power washing? Gee, why do I have electrical problems?

I've seen bikes going down the road with the brake/tail light half full of water. 150,000 miles and counting. 26 US States. A couple of flat tires, a broken chain in Wyoming, a broken clutch cable, that's about it as far as quality problems. There are 5 dealerships close to me. (Do we really need this many)? And I agree that they all suck when it comes down to service, and definitely overpriced. I don't like where they are going, I'll keep the 2016 Slim S forever.

Original review: May 17, 2019

So I bought a near-new FatBob and it ran great....for a year! Then one day it started vibrating. 2 years later, 6 mechanics, $4,000, everything replaced, including the crank ass'y and it's still like riding on steel wheels. Somebody please steal this ditch pump and end this nightmare!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I paid my bike off on line and was charged a convenience fee. They have fees for anything you can think of. Pay off amount is about twenty dollars more than your balance. So I needed my title expedited and followed all of their directions. I paid nearly $70 for an overnight label that was faxed to them. Four days later and at least that many hours on the phone with them and my title still hasn't shipped. I could have driven from Ga to Ca and picked it up myself! What good was the trouble of expediting the title and the additional cost if it's going to take ten days to get here. Bottom line is they don't care to do due diligence for their customers.

Original review: May 12, 2019

2019 street glide special new bike, shiftier getting stuck in every gear off and on, can't downshift most of the time. Got stuck in 4th gear at a light and try letting the clutch in and out feather it and trying to downshift and would not downshift, had to pull out in 4th gear then clutch started working again. Took the bike to the dealer. They said can't find problems with it so I left and and seem good 10 miles later doing it again getting stuck in gear. Called the dealer back up, they said bring it back so I did a week later. Called me up and said the same thing, can't find anything wrong with it. I'm so mad at this point I told them to keep it till they get it to do it and fix the problem. I'm making huge payments on a bike that sitting at the dealer.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I now have my second Road Glide with built in GPS. These are the worst GPS's I have ever seen. Features are very limited. Needs a detour feature with options like "Next mile" "Next 5 miles" "Next 10 miles" etc. Also needs an avoid interstate feature. Instead it features "avoid highways" which puts you on every county road and avoids scenic 2 lane highways. Routing is terrible. It is determined to send you by the worst most indirect route. On trips I still have to use a paper map.

Also dealers should update gps during services. Instead they have a website where you are supposed to pay for updates and download to a thumb drive to update your bike. The website is not user friendly and just doesn't work well. I paid over $40k for a CVO and can't get my GPS updated. As much as dealer services cost, GPS update should be included. Why can't Harley partner with Garmin or someone else who knows how to make and program GPSs. I travel a lot and am strongly looking at buying a different brand for my next bike. And Harley wonders why sales are down.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I had my 1200XL Custom Sportster in for her spring maintenance. I asked several times they just check my bike all over to make sure everything was good for this season. I had them adjust my windshield as well. The tech said if it wasn't where I wanted it to just step back and they'd readjust it. On my way home apparently I lost the top chrome piece off my battery cover and the nut and washer that held the bracket in place over the cover and top plate. When I called Mason City HD the service tech said the mechanic never even looked at the battery, and I hadn't paid for the FULL spring service stating that I was trying to keep the cost down! BS. He didn't offer to help me replace the piece or anything. Sad here in Iowa.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Normal riding and the clutch went out. Talk to the dealer and they said it never happen before. Then it set in the shop a week before they looked at it. The next week I didn't hear anything so I check again. Come to find out parts are on backorder. It's going on a month now and no bike. Just payment. Why would parts be on backorder on a new bike. Harley need to do a recall on the 2019s. The dealer is saying it's nothing they can do. For 30k they should give you another bike.

Original review: April 3, 2019

At 346.7 miles the trans died in my 2019 Tri Glide M8-114. Going down the road the clutches felt like they disengaged and the engine revved very high. I nursed the bike home in 2nd gear for approx 34 miles. 3 days later dealer trailered it in and checked it. Was told nothing is wrong and questioned whether I knew how to ride "a Harley". Dealer still has and will keep this post until it is fixed. I know of no recalls on the 2019, but you guys and gals beware!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought bike new at Maui motorcycle Company. 600 miles voltage red light comes on. Took it in to dealership. They replaced the speedo system. All good took bike back to have stage 2 upgrade. All screaming eagle parts used. Within the next 2 hour ride the amber CEL comes on. They replace o2 sensor. Next ride in 2 hours light comes on again... Long story short it comes on every 2-3 hours after clearing. I now have 3,000 miles on the bike and it is still doing this. The bike has been to the dealer for approximately 8 times for the same CEL code 0151h. They have contacted the manufacturer and still no remedy.

During my warranty work at the dealership my bike has received damages as follows one (1) chip on the top of the front fender, four (4) scratches on top of the rear fender and the last time they scuffed the top of the right rear turn signal housing. I spoke with the service manager about the disrespectful handling of my brand new bike when undergoing warranty work at their dealership. The service manager said he was going to get to the bottom of both the damages and malfunction of the vehicle. I have not heard back from anyone in the last three (3) months. I would definitely not recommend purchasing a Harley Davidson motorcycle. There are many excellent choices available and Harley Davidson does not stand behind their products. Should of bought the MT-9 on the Big Island.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Had Harley's big bore kit put in my bike at a the dealership. They used a master tune in which they sold. Harley cancelled my engine warranty because of the tune the dealership uses. The bike is a 2017 cvo limited. M8 engine.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have a 2019 Road King. 840 miles. Spotlight bulb blew and when I say "blew" I mean exploded. Took to Golden Isles HD. They contacted HD. The bulb/light is NOT covered. The bike doesn't even have 900 miles on it and it's not even 3 months old. No wonder HD is going under. I have owned 6 since 2006. This one will be my last one.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had an awful experience purchasing a brand new bike when I was trading in a 6 months old bike from HD. Buying a new bike is suppose to be an exciting happy time, not stressful and feeling that they are robbing you. I was lied to regarding payment amounts, deceived of service bundle and then they didn't pay my old bike off for over a month. I had to make a payment after they took ownership. I spent 3 hours on a call with customer service over 3 weeks trying to get a refund check. It's been 2 months now and they are still saying "check is in the Mail". Be smart, go buy Indian. I will on my next purchase. It is so sad that they do not care about the customer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

The trunk lid is now falling open on my 2015 Tri Glide. I reviewed complaints and found it to be an ongoing issue for at least 9 years! Harley wants over $200 to put in another same type, defective lock. A piece of junk that costs them less than $12.00. Also the garbage radio that has Bluetooth in it is only good if you buy the $374+ Bluetooth set up from the radio company, because it is designed to work only with theirs!!! I have decided I will be selling this trike, because Harley doesn't give a damn about their customers, it all comes down to money, money, and more money in the corporation's pockets, with poor customer care.

I wish I would have reviewed Harley closer before spending over $27,000 for a piece of garbage! I have had other issues with the trike that were thankfully covered under my extended warranty. And my fault for not looking further, but a person can save about $1,200 by buying an outside extended warranty, instead of Harley's! Again, money, money, and more money. I think HD should stand for high dollar!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Bought two pairs of boots with gift card and returned the one I liked the least. Got first notification of the fact that they put the return on the gift card first and then the payment method when it was time to return. Didn’t see that anywhere on the website when ordering which seems sneaky. Returned the boots and called. Sure enough even after talking with a representative they are putting the money back on the gift card instead of putting it toward the boots that I got, which was the whole purpose of the gift card obviously. Such a stupid policy, I won’t be shopping with this company again. This is a shame, because my new boots are comfortable and wonderful quality.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have a 2011 HD Tri Glide Ultra. I use it sparingly and it has fewer than 14,000 miles on it. In the eight years that I have owned it, FOUR trunk locks for the lower trunk have broken and have needed replacement because cheap plastic parts have broken under normal use. I obviously haven't used the bike a LOT for the parts to have merely "worn out" through overuse. This time, the entire lock imploded and fell into the trunk when I pushed the button to open the trunk. I had groceries, including fish and meat in there with no way to open it.

Now I have been told by the service tech at my local shop that the locks have been "consistent" problems to the point where they have been re-engineered. However, I am going to have to pay $115.00/hr for the tech to find a way to open the truck to replace it. I called HD headquarters to complain and was essentially told this is NOT a common problem, and the inference was that I, the little woman, am at fault because I am too stupid to work a simple lock! They denied there has been any re-engineering or any problems. All they would have to do is check the online forums and they would find that it IS a problem! I have contacted my local media.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We traded our 2016 Street Glide for a 2016 Heritage Softtail. On the way home, we had a change of heart and called the dealership the next morning to swap bikes back. They wanted $6000 to swap back... in less than 24 hours. I suggested they take their bike back, keep the tag transfer fee, and give us our bike back... Shake hands and have a customer for life. They chose not to do that. I had asked to speak with the owner, who I was told was on site. He must have been counting his money because I got the GM instead. The bike we originally went to see did not even exist. The sales guy wanted us to see all the other inventory on hand and "pick one of these that you'll like just as good".

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was charged and huge interest and when it came time to sign the paperwork they changed and increased the interest. Now there is a recall on my Street Glide and I am expected to continue to pay the monthly payment and insurance even though I can't ride the thing. It's Harley and I don't expect them to help me out even though they should. Stocks falling. Remember who puts your food on the table.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I own a 1997 xl 1200. I am from ATL., GA. I needed work on the ignition system. No dealer within 50 miles would work on it; one even said we don't work on junk. I found M&M motor trike and cycle in Snellville, GA. David ** repaired it. He is a master mechanic. I left for NO LA. Got there and had a starting problem. East coast Harley said they would look at it. Paid upfront with no guarantee they would work on it. HARLEY DAVIDSON RANKS UNDER NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. Only give me your money. Here I am 500 miles from home. No help. I would not buy another Harley ever again. The Jap. bikes are now on my list.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

So this week I became a victim of the ABS failure resulting in no rear brakes. I have changed my brake fluid but not per the recommended schedule. I take full responsibility for this and will have to pay for the replacement HCU. My problem is the design, this happened without warning and it happened 21 miles after the dealer performed the recall. The failure without warning (no ABS failure light) disabled my rear brakes. In any other vehicle if the ABS fails it does not render the brakes inoperable.

This is a major design flaw which required a major recall to change the brake fluid. Changing the brake fluid will not alleviate the defect in the HCU. It may prevent the unit from failing but there's no guarantee the unit will not fail over time. What happens when the unit fails from being old or worn? The same thing you lose your braking capability without warning.

So you have to ask why, why would HD create a major recall on a maintenance issue? It's called cover your **... I don't see HD creating a recall for any other maintenance items. Parts for the braking system should not be compromised by a flawed design or questionable manufacturing in China. Too many lives at stake. I would be more comfortable if HD would admit, "There is an issue if you don't perform the recommended maintenance but we're going to make a design change for purchase to prevent the brake failure if the ABS unit fails." I'm going to have the HCU replaced this week but I now have doubt in the braking system.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased 2017 Harley Street Glide Special from Buckeye Harley in Dayton Ohio. I also purchased their VIB package for service for 3 years. I keep getting oil light and bike is low on oil. First trip about this problem Buckeye changed the oil and told me to put another 1000 miles on it and bring it back. Well I done that and oil light came on again showing 1 qt low so I took it back to them. Replaced oil pump this time. Yep. Said I was all fixed and taken care of. So my warranty ends 9/14/18 so we do some upgrades to my bike which have nothing to do with this whole oil problem. So I put about 2300 more miles on it since July and what do you know. Oil light comes on again.

So this time I take it back and they won't fix my ongoing existing issue. Tagged my warranty because of the upgrades. Well warranty was done and I still have the same issues as I have had since I owned the bike. All I want is for Buckeye and Harley to make this problem go away. I just want it fixed. But they say nope they won't because of upgrades. Easy way out Buckeye and Harley! Now I have filed complaint with Attorney General's Office, next step Lemon Law and then if I have to hire a lawyer then I will. I am fighting this till the end. So you can fix it or pay my attorney fees when I do win. Thanks so much!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

If you finance online through Harley Davidson Financial Services they will charge you a FEE for EVERY TIME you pay your bill online. How ridiculous is that? NO THANKS. Do yourself a favor and avoid using their bogus rip off system.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I bought a 2018 Sport Glide paid in full with cash. I enjoy the bike but I am disappointed with the way Glendale Harley has handled a poorly made right saddlebag. It is manufactured out of alignment and to close the bag it has to be manually adjusted every time it is locked, otherwise it will not lock. Glendale says they can't replace it under warranty because it's not broken. But, they can't adjust it because it's fixed and molded part. This bag should be replace with a working bag! This has been a problem that has left me with the feeling that Harley Davidson's quality is well below standards and your service is not customer satisfied based. Please consider replacing this poorly manufactured saddlebag under warranty.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

There is a problem I am facing with my Harley-Davidson Roadster. The clutch System of my bike suddenly stopped functioning while I was on a ride from Pathankot to Samba on National Highway 44. The bike broke down on the way. The engine was starting but the bike was not moving even a inch even after engaging the gear and leaving the clutch. So I had to load the bike in a pick up truck and bring it to my residence. The bike is just 22 days old and has done only 450kms. When I raised the issue with HD-Chandigarh to inform them about the issue, they instantly said you have burnt the clutch plates due to improper riding posture and that this clutch plate is not covered in the warranty. So they asked me to bring the bike to their service station and get it repaired and pay the amount in full to them.

The HD Chandigarh rep was quick in putting the blame on me saying "unknowingly you might have rode the bike on a half-clutch, that is the reason for burning of the clutch plate." Sir, I have been riding bikes since I was a school going kid. Prior to this bike I have owned a Enfield and a Pulsar 200. I know what riding on half clutch means. There is no problem with the riding. It's a matter of a faulty clutch system. A problem Harley have been facing since a long time now. They even recalled bikes in other countries for the same reason. I have shared the link of the same below. However, the Harley rep at Chandigarh is not ready to accept. Sir I have never done off-roading on the bike. I have been riding only on National Highways with adequate space on it. There is practically no need for me to put my hand on the clutch except for shifting gears.

Riding on half clutch is a byproduct of riding in stop and go traffic in metropolitan cities. The Harley Davidson-CHANDIGARH has given me an estimate of 40,000 for fixing the bike. Sir this entire episode is causing a lot of harassment for me, I have my brand new dream bike standing broken in my garage. The company (Harley Davidson India) is putting the blame on me and running away from accepting their own faulty clutch system. I request you to raise this issue at the appropriate level as I want this settled. I want my dream bike for which I have paid in full to be back in its original shape and I will not pay anything for that because no matter what, the bike can't give up so easily if it's worth its salt. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Well outside of Chinese parts failing on an American made bike joke and wobble and electrics intermittently working including the cruise guess is ok. Just can't believe how many people are dumb enough to still believe they are American made. They are assembled here from cheap foreign made parts but name is American, lol.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I bought an extended warranty for my 2012 Ultra Classic HD motorcycle, If I hadn't it would of broke my bank, I still have warranty and it started to make some serious noise while it initially started. I sent the video to my local dealer and forwarded it to a dealer while on the road in Nova Scotia Canada, they all seem to feel that the excessive noise is OK until it brakes down which they claim it will. It's a weak lifter and the lifter were just changed last year. Harley claims that if it quiets down in 2 minutes it's all good. They refuse to fix it and I'll probably be done w/ extended warranty by the time it fails then I'll have to fork over some more cash. I'm kinda done with HD, been very seriously looking at an Indian, I meet very happy satisfied owners, w/ no service hassles Harley any repairs and just ride for lots of miles trouble free. Indian here I come, HD take a back seat or just roll over and keel.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Back in 73 I believe when Harley put disc brakes on they did the same thing to smaller brakes, rotors and calipers. They put a spring on the frame to try to fix it but that did not work so in I believe 78 they came out with bigger and better brakes. I know because I have a 75 super glide I got new and still have so we had to buy this if we were to stop. I guess now we have to wait for them to hire someone who knows something about motorcycles or keep putting up with the same crap. The brakes on this trike 13 I have has 7000 miles and needs brakes and other riders I talk to have the same problem. Fix it. How many people get hurt first.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Bought a 2017 Harley Streetglide CVO about a year ago. Just a little over 3,000 miles. The oil pump went out and caused the whole motor to go bad. Evidently this is a problem that Harley knows about but only addresses if the issue comes up. So while being stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck on my $46,000 bike a truck threw up rocks and chipped the gas tank pretty bad and deep.

The dealer (Buckeye Harley) has been fantastic. Harley has agreed to replace the motor because of their factory defect. HOWEVER, because it is a CVO they will not give the dealer the paint to fix the tank. Evidently they have a rule not to release CVO paint. Which I get in 99.9% of cases. But given this is for the dealer to have touched up and caused by them, you would think they would provide just enough to fix the issue. Don’t spend the money for a CVO. Not worth the hassle and the support is horrible.

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout