Harley-Davidson
3.46/5
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Harley-Davidson

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

341 Harley-Davidson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Owning a Harley is like asking to have it worked on every year at least one time or in my case more than once. My Harley required a 1000.00 repair that I could not afford. It seems that Harley owners have had clutch problems for years. On my 07 Sportster, the problem consisted of, a total meltdown of the clutch assembly. The connecting pin that is used to connect the clutch cable to the primary, just broke off and this created a lot of damage to the clutch rings inside, bending them and totally locking up the clutch. This happened the very first day I attempted to ride after a winter spent in the garage. The damage was so extensive that it made the 07 a complete loss for me. I ended up selling it back to the Harley dealer for $2000.00.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The Harley-Davidson bike has a nice look to it, a strong motor and a very smooth ride. This bike is very powerful and durable. I depend a lot on my bike to get me where I am going. However, the bike is too heavy and hard to control a little. The gears are a little hard to get used to, but with a little more practice you should be fine riding down the highway. Harley-Davidson bikes last pretty long in driving and proper upkeep condition.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Harleys are iconic American steel, it has always been at the top of my list for motorcycle brands. They have high quality craftsmanship, long legacy and seem to take pride in their work. I love the sound and feel of the engine. When you fire it up, everyone already knows what brand that it is without even having to turn and look. No other company's motorcycles sound even close. I also like that this style is closer to the ground and it is easier for some of us shorter to get on and off the bike. It would be nice if they could make the motorcycles a little bit lighter weight, but still keep their quality of craftsmanship. There are a lot of people who are on the small side, myself included, who have a harder time handling them because they are pretty heavy. I know for myself especially it makes me feel kind of left out of their development plans.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

This brand is interesting, cool, high quality, is intense, is the best motorcycle brand. It has the best quality, classic and powerful models, and it does not have the best prices but its models are the best. I wish they change the prices, make better deals, keep the models of all the years, and would make a system of sending so that they take to the house of the buyer. Other than that, I love this brand. They have great models and great deals I like especially for the classic models.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I like the look, the image, the sound of their bikes. They are and say America. My dad owned them in the 40's and 50's and I have owned them since my 20's. Fact is outside of an Indian there is nothing like them at all. But I wish they were cheaper. Harleys are very expensive and you do get what you pay for but that does not change the fact that they are on the expensive side. I prefer to only buy American products and not Japanese products. If you want the very best you buy a Harley not a Jap bike. In addition the group you belong to is unlike any other bike ownership. Everyone that owns a Harley is willing to help a fellow owner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Harley-Davidson is a great company with the best products. They are made in the U.S.A, stylish, dependable, easy access ability to parts, and easy to maintain and work on. It also rides extremely comfortably for both driver and rider and handles wonderfully. Heads definitely turn when you pass others on the road and I have found most other motorcyclists who own bikes from other manufacturers tend to be extremely envious. I understand the impeccable craftsmanship that goes into designing and building these gorgeous motorcycles however I believe the high ticket price makes these cycles inaccesible to many consumers.

Nevertheless, Harley-Davidson has a top of the line reputation and great consumer reviews were a big factor in my decision to look at Harley's in the first place. Once I began to do my research and seek out a dealer I was extremely impressed at the customer service I received. I have had to buy parts several times over the years and always found my needs a top priority by company sales associates. The service is impeccable and I believe no better motor.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Harley-Davidson's solid reliability makes this the perfect choice for my needs. It has lots of power and comfort. These bikes are very well made, great body style and super gas mileage. I love the color and the many places for storage which are customer to the bike, great sound system and power. I cannot think of anything to improve this bike. The only thing to make this better would be to offer this same quality and power at a cheaper price or maybe with a larger trade in value when you are ready to buy another one. I would recommend this brand to anyone who is interested in riding and buying a motorcycle. There is no better name or quality than this one. I would highly recommend this one for size and safety as well as the power and the gas mileage.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I liked the model of motorcycle. My family have always been big motorcycle people and they have always purchased this brand for many years because it gives the best ride and it's a quality motorcycle. I like the way the motorcycle handles very well and also it's a very fast motorcycle and it looks great. I get many compliments on it, and I don't think I would ever change brands because of the smooth ride and family tradition.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

As far as I'm concerned Harley-Davidson is the only Motorcycle Company. I love Harleys. They're the only brand that I consider buying new. They are American made and they're awesome mean in Milwaukee near where I grew up and they're just the best bike gear is on the road. A Harley-Davidson Sportster was the very first new motorcycle I ever bought. I bought it in 1989 and it was the year that they had a $3,999 price tag on the vehicles and that made it possible that I could buy it. It was an awesome bike. It was the color, piping, the looks and it was a Sharp bike. It was also called a hugger.

It got great gas mileage and it was super good looking. I automatically became a member of the hog family with the purchase of the bike. I went to Sturgis and it was a blast. I even took it on a trip and got stuck in a super bad rainstorm and the bike never slipped and never slid. I had no problems and never lost control. I got through the storm without a scratch even though other bikes like Toyota, Hondas and Yamaha sand near Goldwings and stuff for all parked on the side under the bridges.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I like the quality of Harley Davidson motorcycles and the rich history and tradition of the brand. I also enjoy the brotherhood between Harley owners. I have owned a few different Harleys over the years and have yet to be disappointed. The freedom of riding down the road is one of the best feelings you'll ever experience. Nothing compares to that. The cost is worth it when you consider the quality. But the purchase price could be a little bit lower.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Harley-Davidson is an established trustworthy brand. I like this brand because their motorcycles have a specific style, and a specific character that make them more unique than other less established brands of motorcycles. But they could make the brand more environmental friendly. I like the aesthetics and the ride of my bike but I don't like how much gasoline it uses. I want to be able to ride my bike for leisure purposes without feeling guilty. I choose this brand over other brands because I trust that Harley-Davidson will make high-quality vehicles. Their bikes are considered classics for a reason.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I decided to buy my first Harley Davidson in 2009, brand new. I test drove other brands, and Harley rode the most comfortable, had the features I wanted for the best price. I wanted to start riding longer distances, and this was the best ride. I like Harley Davidson motorcycles because they are stylish. There is something for everyone in the bike line up, in every price range. They have motorcycles for those just starting out, and up to those who are experienced. But I would want more accessories already on the bikes and maybe have even more styles of motorcycles to appreciate.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I've owned 3 of them and they have Low-end torque which creates an awesome sound. No other bike sounds like a Harley Davidson. Harley Davidsons are great to ride, they look good and there is a mystique to them. You get respect on a Harley Davidson. However, they are too heavy and way too expensive for what you get. Also, the mechanics are not hi tech on Harley Davidson.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I like the sound, the look and the fact that it's American made. Harley Davidson has style and is classy. When you ride a Harley, you feel free and you get noticed... in a good way! Great quality and a great experience! The craftsmanship is excellent and it is a classic! You wouldn't regret buying a Harley-Davidson. But they could make more models, replacement parts and accessories that are more affordable so everyone could ride. Making the bike and parts more durable would be a definite plus.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Rides great! Very reliable and fast. I love the loud pipes! This motorcycle has the best engines and the fact you can customize everything to make it your own, is awesome! Harley can find and get almost any part or accessories you need. Even the old school Harley motorcycle parts. You can walk into any Harley Shop and find the parts you need. Very rare that Harley cannot get what you are looking for! But make the parts cheaper. I feel they are priced so high because of the brand name. Also the motorcycles accessories are ridiculously priced. I would also have the sales people chill and stalk to get a sale.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

The ride and the rumble of the engine is what gives you the most enjoyable experience. I love the ride more than any other aspect of owning a Harley Davidson. If you never rode a Harley Davidson you would not understand. But they should have cheaper costs to repair/rebuild. There is a reason that when you have to repair or rebuild people say Harley Davidson stands for hundred dollars. All cost at least one hundred dollars. That is why a lot of people buy other bikes, the cost of repairs is cheaper. But Harley Davidson is the only brand that I would buy. They have a long history and I like that. The history of Harley Davidson is extremely important, you need to know history of the company before you buy in order to have confidence in your investment.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

There is a saying "If I have to explain why I ride a Harley, you will never understand it"... Riding a Harley is a lifestyle, not just riding a motorcycle, there is a whole community in riding a Harley. There are so many people I have met, friends I have made, places I have been, that I would never met or gone to because of owning a Harley. Even as we get older, we are still accepted in the motorcycle community, because people know us, it does not matter whether you can ride as you could years ago, you are still a part of the motorcycle community. Harley Davidson is not just a brand name, it is a community, friendship, travel, excitement, oh how fun it is to go from 2nd to 3rd gear... That first shift, on any ride I start out on, always gives me a grin.

But lower the cost of motorcycles, getting to be too expensive. The younger generation is not really interested in motorcycles, need to start bringing them in the fold. The participation involved is sorely needed. Get your motorcycle license, learn how to ride on an old beat up other brand name bike because nine times out of ten, those bikes will be less expensive, and you will drop the bike a time or two, if you're lucky, you will only be going 2 mph... But get some miles under your belt first, then, and only then, go get yourself on a Harley... Go to a motorcycle friendly event, or restaurant, join the local HOG chapter, make friends, see what a difference it is that you're on a Harley and not another non named brand of motorcycle.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Harley-Davidson is good and easy to ride and are long-lasting. They are also made in the USA. I have owned more than one and would get another if I was younger and needed another but may be able to rent one to take rides. However, parts at dealership are overpriced and the service is good at dealerships that are not in the area that I live in so I have to travel at least fifty miles for better prices. Other than that, Harley-Davidson is reliable. They offer different options and are used by the local police departments and the state police for service vehicles. They are also used to escort funerals from store to cemetery.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Harley Davidson is classy and it's worth to buy. Though it's little bit pricier it's worth to pay more for its quality and it's best for road trip and it has lots of ranges to purchase. And it's very comfortable. But I would like to change its price and it should be affordable to all motorbike lovers. I would also like to increase the wide ranges. I'm expecting it to reduce repair charges and it has lots of designs. Other than that, I was very satisfied with my motorbike and I love the quality of the bike. Many motorbike lovers will love its features and quality finish.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I like the style, and the way they are built and designed much better than other bikes. Also, the logos, the seats and the handlebars. They are very sleek and shiny and just handle very well. They fit perfectly to the rider today and make the experience of riding so much better. I do wish they were more price reasonable and was a lot cheaper to customize the way I would like it. I have had a great riding experience. Very smooth. Overall it's amazing.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Harley-Davidson motorcycles are legendary motorcycles. Enthusiasts have their own rally every year in Sturgis and people come from all over the nation to attend. That, in itself, really says something about the Harley manufacturer itself. This motorcycle has a reputation of being durable and reliable and doesn't require a lot of maintenance, so there's more ride time, than maintenance time. The company is reliable about warranty work and doesn't hassle anyone who needs to use the warranty. When Harley Davidson makes a promise they stand by it without a lot of red tape. We have been completely satisfied with our Harley Davidson experience.

We bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle because of its legendary reputation as being THE motorcycle to own! The Indian and Harley Davidson were the first motorcycles to made in America for mass production. At first, motorcycles got a bad reputation due to Hollywood's portrayal of motorcycles being the transportation of choice for motorcycle gangs, thugs, and other criminal types. However, Harley Davidson's motorcycles persevered and the equivalent to the Mercedes in car manufacturing. It has a reputation for durability and reliability. It also is completely American made. As long as the maintenance schedule is strictly adhered to, there should be little or no issues with things going wrong.

We had a Yamaha years ago, and it was constantly in the shop. There is no comparison to foreign made bikes and a Harley Davidson motorcycle. I would buy another in a heartbeat if I had the funds! My husband passed away 5 years ago, and his Harley Davidson 2009 Sportster was one of the great loves of his life! We would go on rides Saturday afternoons and just explore ghost towns, back roads, and silly roadside attractions. These are some of my most cherished memories about him. Our Harley made those road trips possible because of the wonderfully efficient gas mileage. You can't do that in a car because it does eat so much fuel. Getting on that bike and feeling the wind rush all around us was a very exciting experience for me. I never felt unsafe and I will say that riding our Harley Davidson was more fun than ANY amusement park ride I have ever been on! I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

We haven't had ANY mechanical failures with the motorcycle and it has run well since we bought it in we 2009. We are careful to follow the maintenance schedule and that is the only work the motorcycle has needed since we purchased the motorcycle. I only wish that Harley Davidson would manufacture a smaller motorcycle that women could handle more easily than the models currently on the market today. Being a Harley Davidson motorcycle owner does give one a certain status and, once you own one, you become a member of a very special club. Although it is rather unofficial, you're still a member as evidenced by the yearly gathering of Harley Davidson owners at the Sturgis rally every year.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Harley-Davidson is an important brand filled with history and a long history of getting people moving on two wheels both safely and in the best comfort. This is a wonderful motorcycle and it is the best. I would not buy any other brand.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I like the rich history associated with Harley Davidson motorcycles and the new designs they are constantly introducing. But I would like to see them have a line of sports style racing bikes introduced in their portfolio. I have always loved the Harley Davidson line but I think that when I saw Arnold Schwarzenegger ride a Fatboy in one of his movies, I was hooked on the brand.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Harley-Davidson is a brand with a great reputation. They're classic motorcycles that have been going strong from the start of the company and they have plenty of models to suit any riders needs, big bikes to little bikes. They keep up with the times and are always innovative. They give you another of options to choose from engine size to the bike's color. How they come stock is pretty awesome but I hope there's a large aftermarket of parts out there available.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

It's powerful. Sounds louder and completely different than any other motorcycle I've ever seen or heard. It's one of the motorcycles most people would want to have but can't usually afford. Whenever I go to bike weeks at different locations, it's always the kind there is the most of. This brand of motorcycle can be customized to any way you want so it would not have anything about it that I would not like. If I had to pick something, it would probably be that although it uses a lot less gas than an automobile or truck. Compared to other motorcycles with the same size engine, it does get take less miles per gallon. It is the brand my family has always owned. It is respected by other bikers even if it's not the kind that they own or even if they don't own a motorcycle.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I love the handling of the Harley-Davidson. They are stylish and look amazing on the road. The price is awesome, and they have amazing pick up and have great gas mileage. They are very awesome. I love this bike and I would not trade it for the world. They could include a pink or purple Harley-Davidson for women but other than that I will keep them as is.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

It rides really good, worth what you pay for. It is one of the best that you can get. There's nothing that can come close to what you can have with this bike. This is a good brand. I would not change anything about it. I love all that they have. But I just think they should lower the price of the bike and make it easier to get for people that can't pay that much for a really good piece of work.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The power of a Harley is impressive. They don't seem to handle great but they are getting better. Also I enjoy how loud they are and they wake the neighbors loud. It's very customizable also and you can add just about anything you want. But they are super expensive and seem to be part of kings of a subculture that I could do without. And also, they seem to break down often but other than that I've enjoyed owning a Harley and like to ride around it. Never really on the freeway but I like to tool around in the country for an afternoon.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Harley Davidson is a classic brand and I love the quality of workmanship you get with all of their motorcycles. My father owned a Harley Davidson when I was young, my boyfriend had one, and taught me to ride one, and I loved them even more after I started to ride them myself. I like almost everything about the Harley Davidson brand, so the only thing that I would say that they should change is to make some of the new models with a modern look, as most have not really changed much at all over the years. I think their quality is much better than other brands and I like the relaxed feel of riding a Harley Davidson, as opposed to the way it feels to ride a Honda CBR600, and it is not very comfortable to SIT on a sporty motorcycle.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I own a 2014 Harley Tri Glide purchased from Adamac Harley in Jacksonville, Florida. At 4,700 miles on the bike the reverse motor failed. Apparently I not the only one with this problem. I called Harley Davidson customer service and explained my problem. They gave me a number and told me to take it to my local dealership for evaluation. I did and they told me it was the reverse motor. I told them that when I brought it in. They call Harley Davidson headquarters and well told they would not fix it. The dealership would replace the motor for $1500. I said no.

I wrote a letter the president of Harley Davidson who had his PR folks answer me. Again the answer was the same. No, even though they were aware of the problem. I mentioned in my letter that if Harley was not going to support their vehicles, they should get out of the business. When you pay $30K for a bike it should not break at 4700 miles. The problem is that the reverse motor gets wet inside if you get caught in the rain. Well I live in Florida, you are going to get caught in the rain. Some repair facilities that rebuild the motors use RTV to seal them. Harley answer was to put a small hose on the motors to allow more air circulation to hopefully allow it to dry out. Does not work. If moisture got in it is going to go bad. I continue to tell Tri Glide buyers this problem. It is no wonder Harley stock continues to go down.

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout

www.harley-davidson.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use