Harley-Davidson
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Harley-Davidson

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

308 Harley-Davidson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I bought a 2006 Dyna Wide Glide in October 2015 from a private seller. The bike had 8800 miles on it and looked brand new. At the time, it also ran like new. A couple of months ago, I started noticing a noise when stopped, in neutral, with the clutch out. At the time, I didn't realize that this was the classic symptom of an inner primary bearing (IPB) failing. I couldn't remember if it was a noise that had always been there and just never noticed it, or if it had just started recently. Before I had the chance to get it checked out, I was out riding when I noticed the Check Engine and Battery light illuminated in the speedometer group. Soon after, the engine started popping on decel, then started running rough, then shut down. I installed a new battery and was able to get it to the dealership. The dealership said it was likely a bad charging system (stator, rotor, regulator), so I left it with them for the repair.

After returning home, I searched this problem on the internet for my bike and found an endless discussion of the problems that the 2006 Dynas had with the IPB and stator/rotor. 2006 was the first year of the 6-speed transmission. The inner primary case for that application has only 2 dowels holding it in place vs 4 dowels in the past, and back to 4 dowels in 2007. Having only 2 dowels caused the inner primary case to "float", causing premature wear of the IPB and other associated parts.

Additionally, the rotor/stator assembly is held together by bolts. This model year had a massive problem with the bolts backing out and tearing up the rotor. Harley put out a service bulletin reference these problems and fixed most of them on their dime due to this being a manufacturing defect, however it was never treated as a recall as it should have. Rest assured, there is no shortage of information on the internet with respect to this issue. I was drowning in information. Almost too much to absorb.

After getting smart on this, I went to the stealership to discuss the situation. Everyone I spoke with has been there a long time, so I expected someone to know about this. Strangely, all claimed ignorance. No one had ever heard of this problem on the 2006 Dynas. Not sure how that's possible. Short memories? Finally, got the acting service manager to call HD corporate. He got off the phone and said they're declining to cover the repair. I don't think he was advocating very strongly for his customer. I felt like he was just going through the motions to "check the box" so to speak. So I called HD corporate and they didn't want to discuss it with me. Only would say that it would not be covered. I asked to be called back by a supervisor. You think I ever got a callback?

I took my bike to a local motorcycle speed shop that deals exclusively with Harley's and has a great reputation. I spoke with the owner about this problem and asked if he was aware of it. He smiled and said he was intimately familiar with the problem. Not a big secret. We discussed the fix. No HD parts were going back into this bike except a new inner primary, which can only be gotten from HD. The new inner primary part number for my bike had been superseded 4 times, which should tell you something. Total cost of the repair is over $2600. I will never buy another HD bike, part, product nor set foot in another stealership the rest of my life. They use substandard parts and don't stand behind their products. When I'm done with this Wide Glide I'll be looking at other brands.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

2017 Harley Davidson Softail Slim - Very disappointed with this motorcycle. It runs so hot that when sitting in traffic it bakes my thighs. It was so bad one day I had to pull over and get off the bike. I was afraid I was going to get burns. I see on the 2018 models Harley has started putting oil coolers. Never again Harley. Going to see if I can trade this for a Yamaha.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am tired of seeing all these bad reviews on Harley. I am on my second Harley, my first one 2010 Ultra Electra Glide. In 6 years I owned the bike with 54000 miles. The only one problem I had was the compensator on the starter, yes It was 700 repair, but all bikes have issues. Now I own 2016 Road Glide with 16000 miles. Just recently the bike died going 70 mph. I coasted to a stop, Was able to get the bike started. I rolled into the dealer Southern Haven in Memphis TN, the problem was a bad ECM they had it fixed under warranty and I was back on the road within an hour. Yes the bike broke, but I received excellent customer service at the dealership.

My local Dealership in Macon GA, has always provided outstanding service. Remember if you own a Harley and have an issue there are over 650 dealerships that are ready to take care of you across the US. I am quite please with my Road Glide and the service that I have received. My rating is 4 stars due the ECM should not be failing at 16000 miles. With all the other issues, that I read I think I will purchase the ESP. I love my Harley and the way it handles and run, but the new sound system and the new electronics the ESP is probably worth the investment.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have owned Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Harley, if you want nostalgia buy a Harley, but if you want quality buy Honda. My next bike is going to be a Honda Fury and goodbye to the Sportster, you've been fun but engineering and trouble free was deficient and lacking.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I write to you with a few concerns regarding the service that was performed on my 2016 Street Glide. On 8/18/17 I scheduled an appointment with Josh for what I described as a sound of rocks rolling around inside the motor once it warms up and a rubber on rubber squeaking sound which I believed was coming from the front end. Later that day I received a call stating the bike was all set. I was told the sound I described as rocks rolling around was a normal characteristic coming from the compensator and the rubber on rubber sound was the muffler rubber isolators which was retensioned with a zip tie. They test rode the bike for 5 miles.

On 8/21/17 I brought the bike back for the same complaints. Rocks rolling around and a rubber on rubber squeaking. This time they found the compensator was out of spec so they shimmed it. As for the squeaking, they found the rear shock hardware loose and retorqued it. This time they had the bike for 3 days and put 17 miles on it. I called Aaron and explained what was going on. He told me to make another appointment.

Once again, I brought the bike back on 8/28/17 with the rocks rolling around and a vibration at speeds above 40 mph and the sound of rocks still in the motor. This time they had the bike for 2 days and put 15 miles on it. When I got the call, it was ready, I was told the vibration was from normal tire wear, a cupping on the rear tire causing a howling. My concern was a vibration not a tire noise and the rocks rolling around was due to a loose/not secure heat shield which was adjusted and tightened. As for the engine noise, no abnormal vibration, knocks or sounds.

On 8/31/17 I called Harley corporate office. I explained my concerns to the customer service rep. She told me the rear tire should be replaced under warranty. She felt the loose rear shock hardware caused the cupping on the tire which is causing the vibration at speeds above 40 mph and she gave me a case number. I was told to make another appointment and to give the service writer the case number with instructions to call tech support with it. I called your dealership and spoke with Aaron. He told me to call the service department and give them the information.

Once again, I brought the bike back for the same issues. I gave the case number and asked them to call tech support. Later I was called and told the bike was all set. When I arrived, Josh told me the tire would not be replaced and the sounds are all normal. As I drove the bike home I heard a loud clunk a metal on metal bang. I looked down and saw the rear shift lever missing. I pulled over and walked up the road a way and found it in the travel lane of Lafayette Rd. I returned to the shop and handed it to Josh. He drove my bike in to the shop and returned with it a short time later.

On 9/8 I brought the bike to Heritage Harley in Concord, NH. I gave them copies of the work orders from your dealership and told them I have the same issues. The next day they called saying the bike was all set and ready for pick up. I picked it up and was told as soon as they opened the compensator they saw abnormal wear so they called tech support. They replaced the compensator which completely resolved the sound of rocks rolling around the engine and the vibration at highway speeds. They also stated there was no cupping in the rear tire. I have enclosed the work orders from your dealership and that of Heritage Harley Davidson.

I am very unsatisfied with the service I received at your dealership. Josh and Tom were very helpful and professional. My issue is with the lack of results on the first or second visit. I was told my concerns would be handled by a master tech. I am very surprised that they went from adjusting of a heat shield to having to replace the compensator to not having any abnormal wear on the rear tire. I have lost faith in the trouble shooting and willingness to repair my bike. Additionally, the reluctance to call tech support, advocate for replacing the rear tire under warranty had it needing replacement.

I also feel they did nothing to troubleshoot the cause of the cupping in the tire. For example checking the balance, alignment, bushings and bearings and the lack of attention to detail regarding the shifter falling off. This is the second motorcycle I have purchased from your dealership which until now I was extremely satisfied with. My prior experiences were nothing but positive. I look forward to hearing from you to discuss a proposal as to keeping me as a valued customer.

Since my letter they agreed to replace the rear tire which generated the following letter. "Today, 9/23 as agreed the rear tire has been replaced. From SHD we went on an HOG ride to Litchfield. During the ride my bike is still vibrating at highway speeds and I now has a new sound that is coming from the motor which is so bad the group I'm with is trying to convince me not to finish the ride and have it towed. During our meeting you asked what would make me happy. Well after today a new bike. I would like to get back everything I paid for it plus have the accessories transferred over. If a 2016 is not available in the crushed pearl ice I would be willing to put up the difference in cash to get into a 2017." Very disgusted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Paid for a stage 4 kit install, engine was noisy afterwards. In a attempts to fix it dealership took parts out that were already paid for and installed stock parts. Bike sat there for 13 months before I took it to a better dealership to fix their mistakes.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

The quality and reliability of this bike is questionable. The bike is now sitting in the shop. Engine is clanking on cold starts. P0522 and P0523 DTC codes are resident. The oil like intermittently comes on. Brakes are pulsing. The bike intermittent stalls. These issues are being covered by warranty. The point is that a bike that is less than a year old shouldn't be having these problems. Quality of the Harley product is terrible and I would recommend that you stay away from this bike.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Carson City, Nevada Battle Born Harley Service is so bad, I'm not even going to tell my ** longwinded story again. I'll just let the title say it all. I will say that the service manager threatened my wife saying "if you guys don't stop bugging us, you're going to get your bike back in parts." They should have been replaced along with their previous owner for pocketing customers' bike payments and not paying the bank. If you're ever in Northern Nevada, I highly recommend CHESTER'S Reno Harley.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Finally after receiving copies of sign contract, it shows three different prices for this bike. Received paperwork 20 days after signing contract and numerous e-mails regarding this. Was charged 995.00 for "going over" this bike when it was advertised on their website, pictures and all and NO one informed us there would be a charge for them to check out their own item they are selling. Almost 1,000 to check out a bike charged to the buyer? NEVER heard of any company charging this for their own inventory. VERY unhappy with Harley Davidson.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I bought 2016 Sportster that was custom built for the biker build off and they didn't know how to build a custom bike. They just pieced it together and I have had nothing but problems and when I went back to them the general manager acted like a ** and said she was going to fix it but somebody is because I got a factory warranty on it and she told me I bought a AS IS bike but what she don't understand is you can't say as is on a bike that still has a factory warranty and it's their fault that messed this bike up because they didn't know what they were doing.

Resolution response: Aug. 25, 2017

On 8/22 HD sent there expert tech Warren to Fresno Harley to check out what issues my MC has. I met Warren that morning @9 am He was very professional and listened to my complaint. He stated he would call be back in the afternoon for the results.

I met him that afternoon @ 1430 hrs. He found the issue and repaired it. And for my inconvenience HD paid for my 1000 mile MC check. I'm very thankful to Warren, he did a great job and also made me feel vindicated, showing Fresno Harley that I knew what I was talking about. Thank you again Warren and Harley Davidson.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Bought the new Milwaukee 107 Street Glide, during that same month it started knocking. And some seepage of oil under the engine. I read they were having issues with some of these engines possibly the clutch. I related that information to Fresno Harley. They had to replace the clutch basket. When I picked it up. I told them I could hear a slight knock. They said to ride it.

Another month later I took it back for same issues. They checked it out and state they hear the knocking and it might be okay via an HD bulletin. I advised them 2 of my friends that they know bought the same motorcycle. There's, one red the other black. Their engines purr no knocking nothing. I need mine which is blue to sound the same. So this is the third time. Now they don't know what to do. Harley Davidson knows of the issues. Now I hate to think they won't change the engine out because I'm a woman. But they have done this with others. I'm in debt 23k. This is my 3rd Harley Davidson motorcycle. But I need it fixed or give me another motorcycle.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I purchased a 2017 Electra Glide limited from Riverside Harley Davidson in July while on vacation. First they told me that they would not charge me for Cali tax which they did. They didn't fill out the loan paperwork completely. So I had to deal with the loan company. Who was fine. Now I get a letter from Cali DMV saying they are going to suspend my plates for no insurance which I have and let them know. But it turns out it was reg with DMV illegally? I have a Cali reg with a Oregon address on it? Not sure why they didn't catch that when the paperwork went through? So now I am trying to get all of this DMV stuff fixed with no help from Riverside HD. Buyer beware. They will do anything to sell the bike. But Lord help you when all the things they should have done comes back all screwed up. Not a way to run a business. It is my third new Harley. I'll never buy another one. Not because of the product. Because of the way they conduct themselves.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My 2007 FXDSE is having the same clutch problems as the recalled on later models. After sitting over winter, the clutch will not fully engage. When I put my bike in first gear, it wants to go without even releasing the clutch, and it is so hard to shift that I have to turn the bike off to get back to neutral.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have a $28,000 FLHTK Ultra Classic Limited Motorcycle with 1800 miles on it. The seat fills with water and leaks for days with no obvious defects. It is not covered under warranty. I am told by Harley Davidson that this is normal. I am told if the seat had an obvious defect it would be covered but since it fills up with water which is normal it isn't covered. Why is it after 48 years of riding I never had a "normal" motorcycle till now? The Better Business Bureau is worthless. They will not accept complaints against Harley Davidson. What a great consumer service. Thanks Harley Davidson for finally delivering a "normal" motorcycle.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

My son bought a new 2017 bike from Bayside Harley on June 17th. He had it 12 days when he decided to take it to Washington DC. The brand new bike broke down on the way and he waited roadside for 4 hours in the heat for roadside service. The local dealership there fixed the bike, charged him and sent him on his way. He arrived in DC, woke up the next morning and someone had stolen the bike. 12 days old. He tried to file a police report but the dealership had NOT turned in his registration in so he was told they could not file a stolen vehicle report until he got it straightened out. He had to head back for duty in VA and the officer told him he also HAD to file the report in person. We called Bayside and the receptionist actually giggled when we told her the bike was stolen which set the tone moving forward. They assured me they had turned it in and that the DMV was to blame for the delay.

I asked them to fax me the documentation because I was working on getting the police report filed with a local law enforcement buddy, otherwise my son was going to have to go BACK to DC several days later. When they sent me the paperwork they sent me the time stamped registration request they sent to the DMV which was AFTER I called to say it had been stolen. This isn't the bad part. I was able to pull some strings to get the report filed and we made an insurance claim but the bike was gone a full FIVE days before we could even turn it in as stolen and that's completely on Bayside. The insurance company agreed to pay for the entire cost of the bike minus the "fees". The "fees" were $4800.00 on a $12,000 bike!!!

They sold an active duty sailor a THREE year maintenance program that was non-refundable and only good in their LOCAL dealership. If he had been moved to a different base it would have been worthless and guess what? They REFUSED to issue a credit back to him for the maintenance plan that he was NEVER able to even use. Not even out of good will or not even if he bought a new bike there. He went in to meet with the sales/general manager today after several phone conversations that I had with the sales manager. They told him they were crediting several things to make up for the maintenance plan so I asked to see it in writing. All they did was increase fees (when I compared them to the old contract) and move costs around and did NOT refund the service plan. So my son left and now has a $4800 debt to pay on a loan and has no Harley.

It's disgusting that a local military dealership would take advantage of its service members, but it won't be forgotten and even if we keep ONE sailor from having a similar experience than it was worth it. Oh, and not once did they ever apologize for all of the chaos, extra time and delay in searching for the bike because of their incompetence. NOT ONCE.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I have a 2017 Ultra guide with the 107 engine and it dies when you take off and runs very hot. At speeds over 70 miles hour there is no power when you hit the throttle. My question is does anyone else have this problem with their 2017. This makes the 6th HD that I have owned and this may be my last.

Original review: July 14, 2017

We bought a 2016 Harley Davidson XG 750. My son was super excited as this is his first Harley. The bike worked fine until we took it in for its first service. Since then we have had multiple problems. Chief complaint is the bike has issues with starting up. This last stint in the Harley repair shop was 20 days and they replaced the gas cap, ignition switch and spark plugs. Got the bike back with the horn disconnected and the seat ripped. I am furious and do not want to take back the Harley to the Visalia Harley Davidson again. This is crazy to have this many issues with a bike less than a year old. Hopefully we will get all issues resolved at the Fresno Harley Davidson site or we will start looking into the lemon law process.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Owner of 2012 Road King, good bike, however I found dealer support to be horrible. My bike was hit by a car while parked causing about 4k in damage, I called the insurance and they sent over an appraiser. I contacted 5 dealers in Ontario, two were upfront, we don't want to deal with insurance claims. The rest asked for the appraisal which I sent right away only to receive no reply, followed up and still no reply. I eventually called Harley Davidson Customer Care, told the lady of my experience, she said "And what do you expect us to do." Call them, I said, she took my info, no one called. Thank you for your $25,000 investment, don't expect any service unless you want a $300 oil change and more expensive tweaks. Buy a Jap Bike.

Original review: July 12, 2017

In April 2017, I hit a deer on my Silver Anniversary Edition Road King. Took it to the shop about 1.5 hrs from my home for repairs. Today I was informed that my emblems/badges were removed and RETURNED to Harley Davidson - EXCUSE ME!! As far as I know I OWN THAT BIKE AND EVERYTHING ON IT - paid a pretty penny for every part of it and now HD thinks they have the right to take parts from my bike before shipping the new parts I WILL BE PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE FOR!!!

I have owned numerous products throughout my 50 years on this earth and no one has ever retained ownership of a product I purchased but the crooked government. HD may own the copyrights but they sold me the product. I WILL NEVER AGAIN PURCHASE AN HD PRODUCT AS LONG AS I LIVE ON THIS EARTH and I will forever recommend another brand. I own 5 bikes, 3 different brands, not one of those companies has EVER taken parts from me. I have a Chevy Truck that I wrecked and amazingly Chevy never stole the logos and demanded I pay for them again. We buy these bikes, have to pay out of the butt for alterations so we can ride them. Repairs and maintenance is ridiculous and then we need part replacements and they steal from us. WOW!!! WHAT A U.S. Company they are!!!

Original review: July 4, 2017

I had a post on Jan 28, 2017 stating that I had three Harley's 2011, 2013 and 2015 Ultra classic and one limited. Well I don't think I should have said everything was great with all of them, I think it jinks my bike. On June 22nd the bike just quit. I found out today that the timing chain had broke and had caused engine damage. I also did some research online and found out that It was going to break on all 103's, the mileage that it broke on would be different, but it was going to break. Due to a defect in the tensioner. I also found out that HD knows about this problem since 1999. I did not give this a rate experience because I haven't found out what is going to be done about it and if I will have to pursue action. I had 47,780 miles when it broke, the article stated it would break between 35,000 and 50,000. 25 months old.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Bought a brand new 2017 CVO Pro Street Breakout in March this year. Had a very rainy winter/spring season so didn't start riding until late April early May. At roughly 650km the speedometer and gear indicator started randomly working. Then the bike started stalling at road speeds when I would pull the clutch into downshift. At roughly 870km the bike started making a clunking sound from the transmission and would not upshift without several attempts at times. At roughly 1150km the engine light started coming on. At each incident it was reported to my dealer and their response was "Don't worry about it. We will check it out at your first service at 1600km."

Well I brought it on June 6th 2017 at 1540km with the engine light on and the bike stalling during the trip there. A couple hours after I dropped it off they called me and said my bike was unsafe to ride and I would have to leave it with them because they found metal particles attached to the magnetic drain plug from in the transmission. They said it would be a minimum of 3 weeks just to get parts and this doesn't include getting it back together. I must also add that they never even bothered checking on the electrical issue yet. I will say this on a positive note that my dealer gave me a loaner bike. Nice gesture but I'm not making bike and insurance payments on this loaner! I called Harley complaints office June 26th and David there refused to act on it being a lemon and replace the bike.

He made a phone call to the dealer and nothing more. This is a CVO model here and regardless of that it is a poorly assembled bike and I judge that on these early issues. For anyone who reads these reviews please be aware what you are buying from this company. The moment I get my bike back it will be up for sale at a huge loss and Harley will NEVER get a dollar from me again in my lifetime.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have a 2007 Nightrod Special. I am short, 5.5 and required the reduced reach foot controls. Mine just got damaged in an accident and I just found out they discontinued the production of the reduced reach controls. I can get parts for a Sportster from the 80's but not for a 2007 Vrod. They never disclosed that my bike would become un-a-tainium. Harley dealers are not revealing that if you buy a Vrod, HD is going to shun you like they did to Buel owners. They should have to make and sell replacement part up to 10 years past the final model comes across the assembly line. This makes me very unhappy and will never own another Harley Davidson. I would not recommend buying anything from Harley Davidson unless it is a Sportster or one of their root models.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Harley Davidson Finance has one of the best customer service departments I have ever encountered. I have never encountered anyone with a rude attitude, everyone has always been very friendly and willing to go above and beyond to help. I have two motorcycles both financed through them. I got a call about a late payment on one acct., but I knew it was paid. But, I had accidentally made a double payment on one account. They were able to help me by transferring the overpayment from one acct. to the other once we realized what I had done, and they noted the account and removed the late fee. Harley has a great product and a great group of people supporting it!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I still love my '91 soft tail and give the bike (and the company at the time) 5 stars. But the Harley Davidson of today I give one star. Harleys were rock solid in the 90s and I bought mine with the intention of never having to buy another. Problem is that the bike got old. The Harley boutiques of 2010 could not be burdened with working on an old bike and now as I understand it, they simply refuse to work on anything older than 10 years. All they want is to sell me a new bike. I feel abandoned by the company and will NEVER buy another. I continue the search for a good mechanic while learning on my own to keep my "old" hog on the road. So beware new hog buyers: enjoy your first 10 years of HD service because after that you will be expected to trade in. Beware also used hog buyers, you may be buying into a service headache.

Original review: June 18, 2017

2016 Road Glide transmission issues. Transmission sounds like it's falling apart or off the bike when you shift thru gears, go over a bump/pothole, maneuvering thru sluggish traffic (on and off throttle) klunks and klangs -- so loud others can hear it riding next to you. Have been told this. Shifts hard - not smooth. I have been to a couple different HD shops -- they tell me its normal. I have rode HD's for 40 plus years -- first gear always goes klunk but rest of my bike's shifts were smooth and quiet. I am afraid it's going to lock up while riding or come apart while riding and put me down. Again, been to 2 different dealers -- no help. It's normal is all they say. IT'S NOT NORMAL!!!

Someone needs to look into this with Harley before someone gets hurt. I have seen and talked to other having same issue with 2016 touring bikes from Harley. 1 other RIDER was in the dealership for the same issue I was -- THE TRANSMISSION. We both left with no help. I will continue to complain to dealers and keep all papers so when something does happen I will have proof and recourse.

Original review: June 18, 2017

Only game in town so they can tell you whatever the ** they wish! I just spent $68,585 cash on a bike and since March 15/17 it's spent more days in their shop than under my **... Then I experience problems which I feel were created since the motor upgrades and I go there 4x in 2 days and no one can find the problem! The problem is it's ** junk and they won't open up about it nor fix it, why! Because they only have one mechanic... Nice, nice, nice yup who gives a rat's ** about us the buyers anymore? Never ever should of wasted my moola again there! Everyone I know has nothing but ** to say about everything in Thunder ** Road. Another dumb move on my behalf... Careful folks. Look around outta town before risking your money as well as your life with these folks!

Original review: June 16, 2017

This is 15 years in the making, but I thought it was time to throw in my two cents. It is my experience with the bike and various dealers. I bought my Heritage in 2001 at a time when you couldn't buy a new, or used bike for that matter, off the floor. I bought it from a dealer about 60 miles away because I knew the owner and didn't want to deal with the jerk that owned the one that was only 2 miles from my house.

At the 1000 mile checkup I wanted to document the service because it would look good should I sell the bike. The next day there's a puddle of oil under the tranny. I call the dealer and they tell me to bring it in. Really. I'm 60 miles away with a bike that won't hold tranny fluid and don't have a truck. They should have offered to send a vehicle to pick it up. Called another dealer and explained the situation and took it there. Original dealer had cross threaded drain plug and actually cracked tranny case. They offered to order new case and replace with the guts from the old one.

I insisted I wanted a new tranny off the assembly line, but that wasn't going to fly. The spokesman at Harley didn't want to know anything about it saying it was a dealer issue. Which I can understand, but I did suggest they might want to review the quality of the mechanics that they have at their dealers. I wasn't happy. Basically I had a new bike with a rebuilt transmission. It all worked out in the end and they didn't charge me even though it wasn't their problem. As far as the bike itself I have had no problems at all in the 16 years I have owned it. My advice is to do as much of the work on your bike yourself as you can. There are some good dealers and some that aren't worth a crap.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Although I very pleased with my New 107 Milwaukee 8 engine (built in Milw. area) I certainly cannot say the same for the Chassis (built in the York Pa. area). So far (with less than 300 miles I have had 2 issues. A leaky front brake-line at the M/C (with DOT 4 fluid no less) and an L.H. saddlebag lid misaligned and would not close properly. Now I understand. I have a safety recall with the oil cooler hose clamps which could cause the line to come off and shoot oil over the rear tire. (Another perplexing safety issue). Time to look at the Management and motorcycle experience of the assembly operators before the reputation is flushed.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I have been riding motorcycles since the 1970's. I have purchased at least 16 brand new motorcycles in my lifetime. Mostly sportbikes... I lived in Georgia and other states with mountains and I could enjoy riding the curves. I now live in South Florida and the roads are straight. I bought. A Harley XR 1200. It is a bike that is Roadracer... plus comfortable. Worst mistake in my life. I found the bike on eBay and bought Harley's extended warranty. I have had nothing but trouble... the bike didn't come with a stock exhaust. I ride the bike almost everyday and I have done every service. After a problem with a Harley-certified shop that I was recommended to go to. I took it back to the dealer. I found the other shop was charging parts to my warranty and not replacing them.

Now I really needed the part and the dealer asked me what I want to do about it. I said, "Fix the bike". It was going to be about a $75 difference. I called them back. They never started work on the bike and they bought the gaskets and parts for the new stator but never ordered the stator. I had to wait another week. And they never adjusted clutch and I had to wait another week for a clutch cable. I was told I would have to wait a couple of days because they had to clear out the bikes because of Daytona. A 2 1/2 ride. Now they won't fix a common flaw with the plastic gas tank. It expands over time... they said the aftermarket pipe heated the tank. Then they said the tech said the tank is good, then they say it was denied because of the pipe. But I was written a 2-year warranty with the pipe.

"No," the tech said, "the tank was fine". I wouldn't be calling you or the tank was fine. "No. We denied you because the aftermarket pipe heated up the plastic tank". I said I bought the warranty with the aftermarket pipe. I never had the stock exhaust. "Nope," the tech said, "your tank is fine". "Why would I be calling you if the tank is fine". "Call the dealership". "I just did... they said you guys won't replace the tank because of the aftermarket tank". "Yes that is true". "Ok but I have a warranty... I had no choice". The tech said, "Your tank is fine". This went on for over 35 minutes. I tried to get his boss on the phone. He wouldn't let me talk to her or leave a voicemail. I wrote a letter requesting them to listen to that recording. I am selling my bike.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I have a 2013 limited edition Harley Trike. The lower touring box the paint is peeling off in 4 inch strips. When I contacted Harley they said that the bike was out of warranty and they would not cover. I took the bike to a paint specialist who told me that the paint was not adhering to the base and was painted incorrectly. I also got a letter from him and sent it to Harley showing that there were 12 coats of paint on my motorcycle which is entirely too much. I have made repeated reports and sent photos and all back up to Harley Davidson showing exactly what was going on with the motorcycle with no success to be able to take care of this problem. I have talked to other motorcyclist and it found four other people with a trike in the lower touring Box is doing the same thing and they were told exactly what I was told that because the bike was 2 years old that the paint was not covered.

The paint on a Harley-Davidson should last the lifetime of the bike except for chips and dings and normal wear. It should not come off in huge flakes after a year and 8 months or two years. Obviously Harley Davidson has a problem and they are not willing to admit it. As of now I have personally paid out of my pocket almost $1,600 to have the bottom touring pack repainted. So far all I'm getting is a runaround from Harley-Davidson.

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout