1.32/5

406 Harley-Davidson Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Bought my 2014 SGS in August 2014, bike had 2 miles on the odometer. It’s been 4 years and two months and my odometer is at 53,253 miles. I have no complaints with this bike. If it blows up tomorrow, I won’t complain as I hammer down on this thing like it’s a sports bike. Absolutely the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Bought my 2011 Road Glide after the 2012 models came out. Although I must agree that some of their Outsource Parts aren't up to par, I have still experienced minimal issues. Just in the last 3 years I have replaced the horn, battery, and the transmission shift lever. And today replaced the breather tubes - they disintegrated at the air cleaner and I'm pretty sure those ends were consumed by the motor - poor rubber compound used - no excuse for this particular failure. This ain't no bar bike and has never been on a trailer. I am not afraid to rev it up to pass or get on the freeway, or just to leave my friends in my rearview mirror, but I don't do too many burnouts... anymore. The 96-inch motor is as strong as the day I bought it. I am starting to consider stepping up to a new Milwaukee 8 but my 2011 Road Glide has not given me a good reason for a divorce.

Get expert buying tips about Motorcycle Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I recently purchased a used 2012 ultra limited from my local Harley dealership. The custom Sportster I still own is nice but I wanted a touring bike. So now that I owned a touring bike I went touring. I traveled mountain roads. I traveled interstates all with my wife on the back. We traveled several 1000 miles with absolutely no issues. We love our Harleys.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Yes they are very expensive and overpriced. (It wasn't always) but I don't understand why some people go cheap on maintenance, and accessories. You spent a lot of money on a fine product, but you don't care enough to spend money on the recommended products. I've read all the negative reviews and I can tell you from experience a lot of the problems posted are the result of poor riding skills. I've witnessed Autozone oil filters, this oil that oil to save a dollar? People in 4th gear within 1/4 mile doing 25mph. Burnouts with baggers. (Do you holeshot your Cadillac?). Can't afford a $1,000 repair? Why did you buy the bike? If you are going to beat on the motorcycle don't cry when it breaks. And power washing? Gee, why do I have electrical problems?

I've seen bikes going down the road with the brake/tail light half full of water. 150,000 miles and counting. 26 US States. A couple of flat tires, a broken chain in Wyoming, a broken clutch cable, that's about it as far as quality problems. There are 5 dealerships close to me. (Do we really need this many)? And I agree that they all suck when it comes down to service, and definitely overpriced. I don't like where they are going, I'll keep the 2016 Slim S forever.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Thursday, May 23, 2019 while riding my brand new Harley-Davidson 2018 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE ($45,000) Motorcycle on a weekend trip to Louisiana, approximately 370 miles from my residences in North Texas, I encountered engine trouble, Engine Oil Burning Odor, Excessive Engine Heat, Loss of Power, Slight Ticking Sound in Engine, Excessive Fuel Used 5.54 gallons per 100 miles.

Upon arrival at hotel, I checked engine oil, found to be approximately 1 qt of engine oil low, no leaking observed from outside of engine area. I immediately contacted selling dealership at approximately 5:00pm and spoke with Service Manager and explained engine issues observed. I requested he call local area dealership to notify them of the situation and request a trailer to pick-up motorcycle at hotel, unfortunately H-D dealership was closed when I had tried to contact them to confirm our conversation.

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at approximately 9:30am, after repeated calls and voice message left, I received a call from Dealership Service Department at approximately 10:00am. Service adviser said he was sending a trailer to the hotel to pick-up the motorcycle to bring to the dealership. We arrived at dealership with the motorcycle at approximately 11:45am, where I had described the above issues to the Service Department. The motorcycle was rolled into the shop area where a Service Tech checked engine oil and confirmed approximately 1 qt low, I was also notified black engine oil was drained from lower engine sump area due to excessive oil pump sumping issues.

Service department also notified me that the motorcycle was connected to a diagnostics computer and was reporting a blocked/voided warranty issue by the manufacture (Harley-Davidson) due to an unapproved tuning product. Service Adviser had contacted Harley-Davidson technical support to clarify the warranty issues. After over 24 hours of waiting for H-D warranty repair status, I was notified by Service Adviser, Saturday, May 25, 2019 at approximately 11:30am that he had received an email from Technical Support and after reviewing the diagnostic screenshot data, there was a valid calibration ID/Part # installed, although he was “Confident” that there was unapproved tuning performed.

No warranty repairs where authorized by H-D or performed by Dealership, I had picked up the motorcycle at 4:00pm on Saturday, May 25, 2019 and provided personal transportation to return the vehicle to my home in North Texas. With no other recourse, I had decided to take my 2018 CVO Road Glide (FLTRXSE) to a Reputable Independent Engine Builder on Thursday, May 30, 2019 GMR Performance (Steve). I had explained all the above issues & circumstances surrounding the engine issues to the owner. He agreed to disassemble the engine and inspect to see if any damage has been done. On Monday, June 3, 2019 I had received a call from Steve with bad news, the engine had several defective & fatal issues requiring extensive repairs. Steve had also documented some of the issues concerning Harley-Davidson's New Milwaukee Eight Engine Designs (videos can be viewed at GMR Facebook page).

In conclusion, although the Motorcycle ECU (Electronic Control Unit) was changed by by an Independent Tuning Technician using an aftermarket tuning device, this was not the cause of the engine failures. The engine re-build will cost $$$ replacing basically all internal parts manufactured by H-D & replacing with New Precision Aftermarket parts, also repairing the existing H-D Engine Crank by another Premium Independent Engine Builder. The New Milwaukee-Eight engine has numerous internal issues concerning Lack of Engine Oil, Fluid Transfer, Sumping, all of which can be viewed and researched online by Google and other search engines. There are thousands of customers throughout the USA that are complaining and are outraged by the problems & lack of concern by the Manufacture.

(Washington, DC) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) reached a settlement with Harley-Davidson, Inc.,

Harley-Davidson Motor Company Group, LLC, Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company, Inc., and Harley-Davidson Motor Company Operations, Inc. (collectively Harley-Davidson), that requires the companies to stop selling and to buy back and destroy illegal tuning devices that increase air pollution from their motorcycles, and to sell only tuning devices that are certified to meet Clean Air Act emissions standards. Harley-Davidson will also pay a $12 million civil penalty. The above lawsuit also includes & requires H-D to check (Police) any Motorcycle purchased after 2017 for aftermarket tuning changes & Void Power Train Warranty. This in turn allows H-D to walk away from any & all Power Train Defects of any kind.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: July 9, 2019

The dealership sent pictures to Harley Davidson. They said, "We don’t warranty the rims" so I called. Same thing so now I’m thinking of going to a Indian dealership. Are Harley Davidson really American made? They sure don’t act like it and this is my 3rd new Harley. Plus all the used ones looks like my last one.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I have a 2011 Harley-Davidson Fatboy Lo. Back in early May, the ECM went bad on my bike. The service guy told me that the part is on back order and it should be in early June, then they told me it might be in late July. This is unacceptable. I guess my 2019 riding season is over because Harley cannot get their parts.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Hello,

Whom it concerns.

Santbir **

cell- **

I am fist time customer of Harley Davidson motorcycle... I am so desperately unhappy with my bike. I am requesting investigation about technical issues about my bike, one week of harassment and mental distress. I bought as brand new, one week ago, Keys ignition not working, front light and back not working and I been pulled by cops. Heavy scratches noticing after delivery. I bought a new bike not preowned. My bike in service station and I been told "I HAVE TO WAIT 7 TO 10 DAYS" I am so upset cuz I have to Uber every day now and spend 50 bucks a day. Is not dealership responsibility to checked all thoroughly before sell to customer as brand new bike? I am sure, I will never have good references for Harley Davidson as I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT WORLD'S BEST MOTORCYCLE...

My motorcycle.
1200 cc custom.
VIN-**

I bought at dealership Fullerton California.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We own a 2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide. We purchased in March and by August it was in the shop from blowing oil. The second season it was using oil. The third season I’ve had to put 3 1/2 quarts of oil in to get back home from Sturgis. The dealership has given us conflicting information. First the bike would be warrantied since the problem had been ongoing, then the info was “You’re overloading the bike”, then we heard “We’re waiting on Harley Davidson to tell us how to proceed”. Now it’s “Your bike's been red flagged because you put aftermarket parts on it”.

The dealership installed those aftermarket parts! We’ve only been able to use this bike for our yearly Sturgis trip then it’s back to the dealership. It’s been at the dealership now since March 2019...still waiting on parts, which will cost us $2000. I’m done, this is the last Harley Davidson for me. This is our fourth bike and we’ve loved the experience but no more. I’m so fed up with the $$ amount charged for everything from clothing to oil changes and now another $2000 just to get back to Sturgis to see our friends. Who knows if the bike will even be done by then. Don’t send me another request to pay my yearly HOG dues...won’t be happening.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have purchased several articles of clothing and I will not purchase anymore. I bought a grey Harley Shirt and put it on before I left the store. By the time I got home the color had faded out and all over my skin. I bought a riders bell, it took one trip on the bike and the bell came apart. All that was left was the inside of the bell and the string.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Harley Davidson Stock price in 2015 1/2 was at $70 and today it's at $35. I purchased a used 2017 Road Glide with 5k in January 2019. It still had a warranty and I bit the bullet and extended it for a another year. I put 600 miles on it and the transmission had difficulty shifting into neutral. To make a long story short the transmission fluid is leaking into the primary. Come to find out there's a Technical Advisory TA0022 from 2017 which talks about this issue. There's no fix for this issue. When I purchased the bike there was no mention about this problem. If I had known about it I would have pursued a different motorcycle. I think the public needs to reach out and demand an explanation, be provided a fix, or be compensated by the motorcycle company.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I never thought I would be writing a review like this about my beloved Harley Davidson. They have really let me down and are not willing to admit to a known issue. I have owned a 2011 Ultra Limited and a 2014 Ultra limited. I traded up every time to enjoy the newest features. Both those bikes were very well built and had very few minor issues. I made a huge mistake in upgrading to a 2017 M8 Ultra Limited. Harley did not, but should have, disclosed that they have a huge oil consumption issue. Maybe something like "Oh BTW on the M8 engine Harley considers one-quart oil loss per every 1500 miles OK on a BRAND-NEW motorcycle.” Someone please name me another motor company that finds this acceptable?

I definitely would not have upgraded had I known this. That is over 3.5 Quarts of LOST OIL in between oil changes. UNHEARD OF on a modern-day engine. Harley should replace my engine with one that does not eat oil. I have friends that have the M8 and they don't have the same issue so saying it is within specs is HOGWASH. Pun Intended. BTW I am cancelling my HOG subscription too. Shame On You.

Original review: May 30, 2019

My bike went in to be diagnosed on May 8, and was scheduled for an appointment on May 16, 2019. After numerous calls & walk ins to check the progress, I was thrown in loops. To make a long story short, it's May 29, 2019 & my bike has not been touched. Poor customer service.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Bought a 2018 Heritage Classic at Buckeye in October of '18. Joe (salesman) was great. I expressed concern over valve noise at time of purchase, sales manager said they would look into it at 1k service (purchased VIB 2500.00). At 200 miles exhaust starting rusting up and engine case was weeping. Shifter rod was corroded, I called them and they stated again at 1k it would addressed. At 750 miles engine started rattling and shaking+stalling out. I called them and they had me ride it to them for service!

After 2 days they called and said corrosion was dismissed as environmental issue and engine was perfect. Stated I had engaged a fuel economy mode. After 3 days they said they would do me a favor and not charge me diagnostic labor since Harley wouldn't pick up tab. I took bike back for 1k service and after picking up bike (in rain) I got home to find they scratched the crap out of derby cover and gas tank and had put several scratches on forks, I took bike to body shop for paint repair.

I took bike to Mid Ohio and had them adjust clutch because it was so bad at 1500 mile that bike didn't want to release. Service at Mid Ohio stated that clutch adjustments were not done at 1k as required. Bike now has 4700 miles and is going in for leaking left fork, and severe condensation in speedo (a known HD problem). Mid Ohio is now Revved Up HD. Can't wait to see if HD covers under warranty. Justin at Mid Ohio is a great guy with great cust service, hope he is still there.

Original review: May 22, 2019

2019 Harley Electra Glide FLHT checked transmission oil at 1400 miles low no oil on the dipstick, drained transmission measured the amount 12oz factory spec. 30oz. Filled to factory spec 30oz. Rode motorcycle 260 miles - checked trans oil level no oil on the dipstick. I call the dealer no fix available. Sold this NEW motorcycle 3 weeks after purchase. What a big waste of money - purchased price with fees over $22,000 sold $15,900 with 1700 miles. I would never recommend this brand. Actually can't believe they are selling this junk. Harley m8 transmission issues look it up. This has been happening since 2017.

Original review: May 17, 2019

So I bought a near-new FatBob and it ran great....for a year! Then one day it started vibrating. 2 years later, 6 mechanics, $4,000, everything replaced, including the crank ass'y and it's still like riding on steel wheels. Somebody please steal this ditch pump and end this nightmare!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I paid my bike off on line and was charged a convenience fee. They have fees for anything you can think of. Pay off amount is about twenty dollars more than your balance. So I needed my title expedited and followed all of their directions. I paid nearly $70 for an overnight label that was faxed to them. Four days later and at least that many hours on the phone with them and my title still hasn't shipped. I could have driven from Ga to Ca and picked it up myself! What good was the trouble of expediting the title and the additional cost if it's going to take ten days to get here. Bottom line is they don't care to do due diligence for their customers.

Original review: May 12, 2019

2019 street glide special new bike, shiftier getting stuck in every gear off and on, can't downshift most of the time. Got stuck in 4th gear at a light and try letting the clutch in and out feather it and trying to downshift and would not downshift, had to pull out in 4th gear then clutch started working again. Took the bike to the dealer. They said can't find problems with it so I left and and seem good 10 miles later doing it again getting stuck in gear. Called the dealer back up, they said bring it back so I did a week later. Called me up and said the same thing, can't find anything wrong with it. I'm so mad at this point I told them to keep it till they get it to do it and fix the problem. I'm making huge payments on a bike that sitting at the dealer.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I now have my second Road Glide with built in GPS. These are the worst GPS's I have ever seen. Features are very limited. Needs a detour feature with options like "Next mile" "Next 5 miles" "Next 10 miles" etc. Also needs an avoid interstate feature. Instead it features "avoid highways" which puts you on every county road and avoids scenic 2 lane highways. Routing is terrible. It is determined to send you by the worst most indirect route. On trips I still have to use a paper map.

Also dealers should update gps during services. Instead they have a website where you are supposed to pay for updates and download to a thumb drive to update your bike. The website is not user friendly and just doesn't work well. I paid over $40k for a CVO and can't get my GPS updated. As much as dealer services cost, GPS update should be included. Why can't Harley partner with Garmin or someone else who knows how to make and program GPSs. I travel a lot and am strongly looking at buying a different brand for my next bike. And Harley wonders why sales are down.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I had my 1200XL Custom Sportster in for her spring maintenance. I asked several times they just check my bike all over to make sure everything was good for this season. I had them adjust my windshield as well. The tech said if it wasn't where I wanted it to just step back and they'd readjust it. On my way home apparently I lost the top chrome piece off my battery cover and the nut and washer that held the bracket in place over the cover and top plate. When I called Mason City HD the service tech said the mechanic never even looked at the battery, and I hadn't paid for the FULL spring service stating that I was trying to keep the cost down! BS. He didn't offer to help me replace the piece or anything. Sad here in Iowa.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Normal riding and the clutch went out. Talk to the dealer and they said it never happen before. Then it set in the shop a week before they looked at it. The next week I didn't hear anything so I check again. Come to find out parts are on backorder. It's going on a month now and no bike. Just payment. Why would parts be on backorder on a new bike. Harley need to do a recall on the 2019s. The dealer is saying it's nothing they can do. For 30k they should give you another bike.

Original review: April 3, 2019

At 346.7 miles the trans died in my 2019 Tri Glide M8-114. Going down the road the clutches felt like they disengaged and the engine revved very high. I nursed the bike home in 2nd gear for approx 34 miles. 3 days later dealer trailered it in and checked it. Was told nothing is wrong and questioned whether I knew how to ride "a Harley". Dealer still has and will keep this post until it is fixed. I know of no recalls on the 2019, but you guys and gals beware!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Bought bike new at Maui motorcycle Company. 600 miles voltage red light comes on. Took it in to dealership. They replaced the speedo system. All good took bike back to have stage 2 upgrade. All screaming eagle parts used. Within the next 2 hour ride the amber CEL comes on. They replace o2 sensor. Next ride in 2 hours light comes on again... Long story short it comes on every 2-3 hours after clearing. I now have 3,000 miles on the bike and it is still doing this. The bike has been to the dealer for approximately 8 times for the same CEL code 0151h. They have contacted the manufacturer and still no remedy.

During my warranty work at the dealership my bike has received damages as follows one (1) chip on the top of the front fender, four (4) scratches on top of the rear fender and the last time they scuffed the top of the right rear turn signal housing. I spoke with the service manager about the disrespectful handling of my brand new bike when undergoing warranty work at their dealership. The service manager said he was going to get to the bottom of both the damages and malfunction of the vehicle. I have not heard back from anyone in the last three (3) months. I would definitely not recommend purchasing a Harley Davidson motorcycle. There are many excellent choices available and Harley Davidson does not stand behind their products. Should of bought the MT-9 on the Big Island.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Had Harley's big bore kit put in my bike at a the dealership. They used a master tune in which they sold. Harley cancelled my engine warranty because of the tune the dealership uses. The bike is a 2017 cvo limited. M8 engine.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have a 2019 Road King. 840 miles. Spotlight bulb blew and when I say "blew" I mean exploded. Took to Golden Isles HD. They contacted HD. The bulb/light is NOT covered. The bike doesn't even have 900 miles on it and it's not even 3 months old. No wonder HD is going under. I have owned 6 since 2006. This one will be my last one.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had an awful experience purchasing a brand new bike when I was trading in a 6 months old bike from HD. Buying a new bike is suppose to be an exciting happy time, not stressful and feeling that they are robbing you. I was lied to regarding payment amounts, deceived of service bundle and then they didn't pay my old bike off for over a month. I had to make a payment after they took ownership. I spent 3 hours on a call with customer service over 3 weeks trying to get a refund check. It's been 2 months now and they are still saying "check is in the Mail". Be smart, go buy Indian. I will on my next purchase. It is so sad that they do not care about the customer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

The trunk lid is now falling open on my 2015 Tri Glide. I reviewed complaints and found it to be an ongoing issue for at least 9 years! Harley wants over $200 to put in another same type, defective lock. A piece of junk that costs them less than $12.00. Also the garbage radio that has Bluetooth in it is only good if you buy the $374+ Bluetooth set up from the radio company, because it is designed to work only with theirs!!! I have decided I will be selling this trike, because Harley doesn't give a damn about their customers, it all comes down to money, money, and more money in the corporation's pockets, with poor customer care.

I wish I would have reviewed Harley closer before spending over $27,000 for a piece of garbage! I have had other issues with the trike that were thankfully covered under my extended warranty. And my fault for not looking further, but a person can save about $1,200 by buying an outside extended warranty, instead of Harley's! Again, money, money, and more money. I think HD should stand for high dollar!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Bought two pairs of boots with gift card and returned the one I liked the least. Got first notification of the fact that they put the return on the gift card first and then the payment method when it was time to return. Didn’t see that anywhere on the website when ordering which seems sneaky. Returned the boots and called. Sure enough even after talking with a representative they are putting the money back on the gift card instead of putting it toward the boots that I got, which was the whole purpose of the gift card obviously. Such a stupid policy, I won’t be shopping with this company again. This is a shame, because my new boots are comfortable and wonderful quality.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have a 2011 HD Tri Glide Ultra. I use it sparingly and it has fewer than 14,000 miles on it. In the eight years that I have owned it, FOUR trunk locks for the lower trunk have broken and have needed replacement because cheap plastic parts have broken under normal use. I obviously haven't used the bike a LOT for the parts to have merely "worn out" through overuse. This time, the entire lock imploded and fell into the trunk when I pushed the button to open the trunk. I had groceries, including fish and meat in there with no way to open it.

Now I have been told by the service tech at my local shop that the locks have been "consistent" problems to the point where they have been re-engineered. However, I am going to have to pay $115.00/hr for the tech to find a way to open the truck to replace it. I called HD headquarters to complain and was essentially told this is NOT a common problem, and the inference was that I, the little woman, am at fault because I am too stupid to work a simple lock! They denied there has been any re-engineering or any problems. All they would have to do is check the online forums and they would find that it IS a problem! I have contacted my local media.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We traded our 2016 Street Glide for a 2016 Heritage Softtail. On the way home, we had a change of heart and called the dealership the next morning to swap bikes back. They wanted $6000 to swap back... in less than 24 hours. I suggested they take their bike back, keep the tag transfer fee, and give us our bike back... Shake hands and have a customer for life. They chose not to do that. I had asked to speak with the owner, who I was told was on site. He must have been counting his money because I got the GM instead. The bike we originally went to see did not even exist. The sales guy wanted us to see all the other inventory on hand and "pick one of these that you'll like just as good".

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout