3.33/5

373 Harley-Davidson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

There is a problem I am facing with my Harley-Davidson Roadster. The clutch System of my bike suddenly stopped functioning while I was on a ride from Pathankot to Samba on National Highway 44. The bike broke down on the way. The engine was starting but the bike was not moving even a inch even after engaging the gear and leaving the clutch. So I had to load the bike in a pick up truck and bring it to my residence. The bike is just 22 days old and has done only 450kms. When I raised the issue with HD-Chandigarh to inform them about the issue, they instantly said you have burnt the clutch plates due to improper riding posture and that this clutch plate is not covered in the warranty. So they asked me to bring the bike to their service station and get it repaired and pay the amount in full to them.

The HD Chandigarh rep was quick in putting the blame on me saying "unknowingly you might have rode the bike on a half-clutch, that is the reason for burning of the clutch plate." Sir, I have been riding bikes since I was a school going kid. Prior to this bike I have owned a Enfield and a Pulsar 200. I know what riding on half clutch means. There is no problem with the riding. It's a matter of a faulty clutch system. A problem Harley have been facing since a long time now. They even recalled bikes in other countries for the same reason. I have shared the link of the same below. However, the Harley rep at Chandigarh is not ready to accept. Sir I have never done off-roading on the bike. I have been riding only on National Highways with adequate space on it. There is practically no need for me to put my hand on the clutch except for shifting gears.

Riding on half clutch is a byproduct of riding in stop and go traffic in metropolitan cities. The Harley Davidson-CHANDIGARH has given me an estimate of 40,000 for fixing the bike. Sir this entire episode is causing a lot of harassment for me, I have my brand new dream bike standing broken in my garage. The company (Harley Davidson India) is putting the blame on me and running away from accepting their own faulty clutch system. I request you to raise this issue at the appropriate level as I want this settled. I want my dream bike for which I have paid in full to be back in its original shape and I will not pay anything for that because no matter what, the bike can't give up so easily if it's worth its salt. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Bought my 2011 Road Glide after the 2012 models came out. Although I must agree that some of their Outsource Parts aren't up to par, I have still experienced minimal issues. Just in the last 3 years I have replaced the horn, battery, and the transmission shift lever. And today replaced the breather tubes - they disintegrated at the air cleaner and I'm pretty sure those ends were consumed by the motor - poor rubber compound used - no excuse for this particular failure. This ain't no bar bike and has never been on a trailer. I am not afraid to rev it up to pass or get on the freeway, or just to leave my friends in my rearview mirror, but I don't do too many burnouts... anymore. The 96-inch motor is as strong as the day I bought it. I am starting to consider stepping up to a new Milwaukee 8 but my 2011 Road Glide has not given me a good reason for a divorce.

Get expert buying tips about Motorcycle Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Well outside of Chinese parts failing on an American made bike joke and wobble and electrics intermittently working including the cruise guess is ok. Just can't believe how many people are dumb enough to still believe they are American made. They are assembled here from cheap foreign made parts but name is American, lol.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I bought an extended warranty for my 2012 Ultra Classic HD motorcycle, If I hadn't it would of broke my bank, I still have warranty and it started to make some serious noise while it initially started. I sent the video to my local dealer and forwarded it to a dealer while on the road in Nova Scotia Canada, they all seem to feel that the excessive noise is OK until it brakes down which they claim it will. It's a weak lifter and the lifter were just changed last year. Harley claims that if it quiets down in 2 minutes it's all good. They refuse to fix it and I'll probably be done w/ extended warranty by the time it fails then I'll have to fork over some more cash. I'm kinda done with HD, been very seriously looking at an Indian, I meet very happy satisfied owners, w/ no service hassles Harley any repairs and just ride for lots of miles trouble free. Indian here I come, HD take a back seat or just roll over and keel.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I recently purchased a used 2012 ultra limited from my local Harley dealership. The custom Sportster I still own is nice but I wanted a touring bike. So now that I owned a touring bike I went touring. I traveled mountain roads. I traveled interstates all with my wife on the back. We traveled several 1000 miles with absolutely no issues. We love our Harleys.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Back in 73 I believe when Harley put disc brakes on they did the same thing to smaller brakes, rotors and calipers. They put a spring on the frame to try to fix it but that did not work so in I believe 78 they came out with bigger and better brakes. I know because I have a 75 super glide I got new and still have so we had to buy this if we were to stop. I guess now we have to wait for them to hire someone who knows something about motorcycles or keep putting up with the same crap. The brakes on this trike 13 I have has 7000 miles and needs brakes and other riders I talk to have the same problem. Fix it. How many people get hurt first.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Bought a 2017 Harley Streetglide CVO about a year ago. Just a little over 3,000 miles. The oil pump went out and caused the whole motor to go bad. Evidently this is a problem that Harley knows about but only addresses if the issue comes up. So while being stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck on my $46,000 bike a truck threw up rocks and chipped the gas tank pretty bad and deep.

The dealer (Buckeye Harley) has been fantastic. Harley has agreed to replace the motor because of their factory defect. HOWEVER, because it is a CVO they will not give the dealer the paint to fix the tank. Evidently they have a rule not to release CVO paint. Which I get in 99.9% of cases. But given this is for the dealer to have touched up and caused by them, you would think they would provide just enough to fix the issue. Don’t spend the money for a CVO. Not worth the hassle and the support is horrible.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Yes they are very expensive and overpriced. (It wasn't always) but I don't understand why some people go cheap on maintenance, and accessories. You spent a lot of money on a fine product, but you don't care enough to spend money on the recommended products. I've read all the negative reviews and I can tell you from experience a lot of the problems posted are the result of poor riding skills. I've witnessed Autozone oil filters, this oil that oil to save a dollar? People in 4th gear within 1/4 mile doing 25mph. Burnouts with baggers. (Do you holeshot your Cadillac?). Can't afford a $1,000 repair? Why did you buy the bike? If you are going to beat on the motorcycle don't cry when it breaks. And power washing? Gee, why do I have electrical problems?

I've seen bikes going down the road with the brake/tail light half full of water. 150,000 miles and counting. 26 US States. A couple of flat tires, a broken chain in Wyoming, a broken clutch cable, that's about it as far as quality problems. There are 5 dealerships close to me. (Do we really need this many)? And I agree that they all suck when it comes down to service, and definitely overpriced. I don't like where they are going, I'll keep the 2016 Slim S forever.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I recently returned from a cross country trip with members of our local HOG group, 9 bikes total. All bikes were less than 3 years old. On the second day of our travels, a new Milwaukee 8 started shooting oil from the sending unit and had to be flat bedded from the interstate for repairs. On the 7th day of our trip my 2015 limited and my friends 2015 Tri Glide both lost their cooling system's cooling pumps within 12 hours of each other.

Two days later, another Milwaukee 8 started throwing codes. A day later, two other bikes were spitting oil out of their breathers. Six of the 9 bikes had issues. The heat from my engine, gave me 1st and second degree burns on my right leg, before my cooling system went down. This 21 day trip has left me wondering why people would consider a Harley as a rational choice for a long distance touring bike.

In April, I made a longer cross country trip with my Goldwing, along with 140 other Goldwings on their "40 to Phoenix" annual event. Not one bike had to be towed or failed to return home. I would strongly suggest to anyone who is considering a touring bike, take them out for a test drive when the temperature is 90 or better. this will provide better clarity in your purchase decisions.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Bought a CVO Street Glide. Did all the upgrades by them and boom blew a motor... damn ** junk people. This geat American company went greedy and cheaped out with ** parts from China & Mexico... Now look at your shares and sales & smarten up or suffer such as you are.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Purchased in 2015 with 7000 miles. In 16000 miles I have had to replace the compensator sprocket in the primary, the radio is currently broke as the LEDs in the readout disappeared (I am told the repaired/replacement units do the same thing), and now my anti-lock brakes are messed up where if I try to use the brakes they won't actuate! This was the cause for a recall on 2008 to 2011 models, but nothing has been done 2012s or 13s. I can only run without the fuse which disables the anti-lock feature. I am now waiting on a quote for repair which is expected to be one of two parts, one is $501 and the other is $590 and neither include labor or other repair parts. This is my first Harley of eight (three being brand new) that was newer than a 2007 and it sure looks like it will be my last Harley ever. My `38 Knucklehead gave me less problems than my `13 Road Glide and that's a fact.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Had to have the third service for the same problem under extended warranty, they check and the warranty was good and repairs would be $50. Their fraud warranty service company then cancelled the warranty and the real bill total was $2,400. They also kept every penny that I paid for the extended warranty! Do not buy a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. It is pure junk and never consider their fraud warranty because they will just screw you again and again and laugh about it.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Apparently there's some noted and ongoing issue with Transmissions in this year acrossed the different styles of bikes. There is a bearing that seems to walk its way into the seal and take out the seal. If not caught quickly it also takes out the shaft. I have baby this 2010 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic for the last 8 years never has it been outside of a heated garage, service record has been kept Beyond recommendations, and it has extremely low mileage for a bike this old. I believe that it just crossed 20000 Miles.

And now here I am without my bike for all of June part of July because Harley-Davidson does not have the part and it's back ordered. Maybe it's because they have so many issues that they can't keep them in stock. This is extremely disappointing to me not to mention the cost plus the loss of my bike Plus how disillusioned I am with what is supposed to be an American made proud manufacturer. If this is what happens to Harley-Davidson's after 20000 miles then I understand why they have struggled with going broke. So much for American made and so much for the history of Harley-Davidson, pretty much all about money and service and quality are something that used to mean something ages of go. If you're reading this I would highly discourage you from buying Harley-Davidson, this from a once-proud Harley Rider.

Original review: June 12, 2018

After making an 800 dollar purchase on 5/27 at the Dartmouth store, I discovered I left my jacket with wallet in the store after I left for graduation at Brown University. When I got back to the store the money was missing from my pocket in the amount of 500 hundred dollars. I know there are cameras there. I called the store and they have cameras. I think this matter should be investigated. I flew in from Chicago and was in for the graduation and I had to leave after. I didn't call the police but everyone said corporate should look into this.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I took my Screamin Eagle Fatboy 05 in for a slight vibration in the clutch and a light chirp. Told them (Kokomo Indiana Harley-Davidson dealership) to check the clutch and if it was anything expensive to call me first. After being there a month they finally called me back. They took my whole motor apart and telling me my front connecting rod is 1000 over the limit. Wish they say was causing the vibration in my clutch. I know many mechanics and no this is BS. Anyone have any suggestions how I should handle this?

Original review: May 31, 2018

Don't buy the maintenance contract with a new Harley. They slip this into financing on the bike then you find out you must schedule the service, you cannot cancel the contract, you can only take it to the dealer named in the contract and guess what? The service department will not answer you when you try to set up service! They want you to email request and when you do they say, "Thank you. Someone will contact you," and they never do. You call on the phone and it sends you to voicemail takes the message and thanks you saying someone will contact you soon and they never do! So you're stuck paying for this including finance charges and they aren't going to honor it and eventually it will blow your warranty.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Had an experience with engine shutting off when coming to a stop or just slowing down. Had it in to service department 4 times and was told that they could not find a problem and wanted to charge me again on my 4th try. This situation went on for almost 3 years. Finally one day I came upon something on my computer Britfix stalling problem, he simply took off the breather over and sprayed carb cleaner in the hole before butterfly in the intake. Problem fixed. Now I know why they call their techs and not mechanics because they cannot repair a situation unless the computer tells them what to do so I do not see them as mechanics. Harley had 4 chances to fix this situation and I was able to take care of it myself. Have owned Harley’s since the 60s and will continue to buy the brand but have little trust in their service department. If that situation happened at the wrong time and I was hurt would Harley accept any responsibility for this, I think not.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Damaged bike Harley Newnan GA - I purchased my bike from them. Had it up there for a smoke coming from the breather gas fumes and oil leaks. They cross threaded the drain plug and damaged the transmission. They kept sending me in my way knowing that plug could have came out and killed me. They were unethical and unprofessional when they released my information to my ex husband. They will not step up for the damage or inconvenience they have caused instead want to sling mud at the other dealer that I had to take my bike to for repairs. Harley Corporation has told me that the dealers are independently owned so there is nothing more they can do if the owner will not step up and make it right. The store says they are not aware of any leaks in my bike and refused to give me my service records. This is just a small fraction of the problems I am having.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Purchased 2017 Harley Davidson Road King in February of 2018 and only start riding it 2 days ago (due to the NY weather), bike was parked at the garage all the time. If anyone familiar with Brooklyn NY you know how much traffic you hit on local highways when traveling. So, make the story short, I ride 90 miles every day to and from work and probably 10-12 miles of my ride is usually in traffic. Often it is stop and go traffic. Rarely it is light traffic. HYDRAULIC CLUTCH lever is the worst thing you can have in traffic conditions because it literally kills your wrist and elbow from moving it so often in a stop and go situation when the clutch is so hard. I know there are a few options out there to get an adjustable clutch lever to make it easier on a rider but why do I have to spent more money on a new lever when it should be adjusted by HD?

I called corporate office and explained the situation and all they said is "This is how it is and there is nothing we can do about it, bring it to the dealer and they will inspect it again (meanwhile I got this bike from HD dealer less than 2 month ago and never rode the bike) but why???" It's a known problem with HYDRAULIC CLUTCH and HD not doing anything about it. So the question is how good is the HD service in reality? What can I get out of it when I'm having so much troubles with a new bike particularly HYDRAULIC CLUTCH lever? Please HD explain it to me and is there any other solutions to my problem? Thank you.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Harley-Davidson's American made and a very respected brand but I have always enjoyed tinkering with it. Price is definitely something I would change as it's a little expensive. If they had a cheaper version there would be a lot of more people to put in your way and will enjoy it but Harley is getting better. They are cheaper than they used to be and the parts are easy to get.

Harley does it like a very high-quality machine. It's easy to ride and very distinctive. You can through them from blocks away. The sounds of a Harley is very cool. Very enjoyable with a good resale value. They are good on long road trips and nice to take on a weekend getaway. The bigger ones with the saddlebags are very roomy and you can take a lot of gear with you.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Since new, my 2017 road glide ultra has exhibited spark knock during full throttle acceleration, especially at higher RPMs (over 2500 RPM). I took it to the dealer and they simply said "could not duplicate". I have read several other accounts of this phenomenon on different online forums. Harley Davidson's "contact us" link on their web page doesn't work either. Can ConsumerAffairs help?

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have been looking for a great HD for over five years. The store owner sold it to me at a great price. He had just decided to sell it and this was the first day he had put in on the showroom floor. I know him well and he knows I will take great care of this great Harley Davidson. It has been well taken care of and garage kept, has low mileage and by far the prettiest HD I have ever owned. Everyone stares at it and smiles when I drive by. My best Harley friends and the guys I work with that are motorcycle owners were also amazed at this fabulous Harley-Davidson and look at it with envy. It's purplish deep blue and a real beauty. The headlights are big and bright, great backrest, huge side lockable side bags, able to hold so much more cargo than my Road King Harley-Davidson. It's very stylish and one of a kind.

My new selection of Harley gives me low gas mileage, and I feel so cool driving it anywhere. It's easy to drive, bold, fast, loud, outstandingly built, modern. It is powerful and takes safe great turns. It has a build in AM-FM radio that the volume goes up on its own, big double mirrors for added safety, lower in the back with not overheating pipes. However, I still am in shock at the price I negotiated it to. But I love this bike and what a great buy this was. I will be entering this Harley in many Harley ride contests, poker runs, and will be riding this to Sturgis next year.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Harley Davidson is a symbol of United States of America and I like the iconic statue in what Harley Davidson stands for. I bought mine in the early 1980's when few people own a Harley Davidson. I have taken a number of defense of driving courses. I love my motorcycle and its sound, loud pipes save lives. I also like the power, the control you have as a rider and that I am able to work on every aspect of the motorcycle. Instead of viewing the scenery you are part of the scenery. More power, more American made components and more reliable longer wearing rear tires.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I chose Harley because it is American made and has a stylish style that will never go out of style!!! They are the best motorcycles out there. It is so much fun to ride! They are good for road trips with friends. It is the best you can buy!!! Harley Davidson is in my blood and I love the brand. Real people ride Harleys! The only thing is sometimes they cost way too much!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I like everything about my Harley. I like the design, the paint job, the price, the people who work at the Harley dealership and most of all the extra goodies you can get from them. The Harley name speaks for itself and it has been nothing short of a dream come true to own my Harley. It had never have me any problems and i do not expect it ever will. It's the highest quality of motorcycle toy can buy and I never even thought for minute about buying a different brand than a Harley.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Harley-Davidson is a very respected motorcycle and is the biggest leader in the industry. It has consistent quality and had modern technology. It's big and it says a lot. It's made with the best material, is very comfortable to ride, looks cool, and has nice color. However, they are very expensive, at times it's too loud for the neighborhood. It's also very hard to keep up on the appearance and all the chrome and hard to keep in garage because of its massive size. Other than that, the brand offers the best ride hands down. It is a prestigious brand with a rich history. It allows you to be in an exclusive club and gets you a lot of attention while riding.

Original review: March 20, 2018

They are a brand you can trust. I like their high performance engines and they offer several different models of motorcycles to fit anyone's needs. There is a size of bike and price for everyone who wants one. Resale on their motorcycles is really good value for the money. The only thing I dislike about this motorcycle brand is how expensive there merchandise is (does not include the motorcycles themselves). No matter where you try to buy their merchandise it's very overpriced. Even the resale prices on used merchandise is still expensive. But they always have had very helpful, friendly service when we go to any dealership.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I chose Harley Davidson as they offered the style and requirements that I was looking for. They also offered the best financing deal that I could find in my county. I love the different styles of the bikes and the way it helps me drive better. I also love how sexy I look on their bikes. Their handling is amazing and I love the gas mileage I get. Their seats are very comfortable and the customer service is beyond approach. They're perfect just the way they are. This is the second one that I have owned and I will buy another one from them.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I decided I wanted a Harley at the age of 10. I was looking through one of my Dad's Cycle World mags, there was an ad for the '77 models. I looked at the pics of that Low Rider and Wide Glide like I was looking at my 1st Playboy. I bought my 1st HD years ago. It was a 1200 Sportster. I took my wife on our 1st date on that bike. Now, a Road King & Electra Glide later, I won't be without one. I like the way it sounds, feels and looks. I also like that it's made in America and to me, very few things scream America like Harley Davidson. However, I wish H.D. would get back to basics a little more. It's cool they make models that are already customized. But, I'd like to see more entry level models. I'd also like to see the Dyna come back.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I love the Harley Davidson motorcycle brand and all it stands for. I have owned just about every other brand and Harley Davidson is by far the king of the hill as far as performance, power, style, all around bad ** of all motorcycle brands. I have owned my 2016 Sportster 48 for two years now and I am amazed at the way she takes those turns every time I put my knuckles and knees in the wind. I love the way my Sporty 48 handles the curves. Those big tires really help in the overall handling of the bike. My overall experience with Harley Davidson has nothing other than amazing. They have come a long way and improved in so many ways. If you're going to invest in a bike that you will enjoy and be proud to own for years to come purchase a Harley Davidson.

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout