2. Automotive

Harley-Davidson

Harley-Davidson
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Harley-Davidson Reviews

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I purchased a jacket for my husband for Xmas and online it stated that I could return or exchange the item at my local Harley-Davidson store. My husband wanted a bigger size so he could wear flannel or a hoodie under the jacket, so we went to our local dealer- Old Pueblo Harley Davidson. What a joke, first the staff there clearly dislike their job, no smiles. Seemed irritated to have to help. They don’t carry much in the way of clothing or jackets so we weren’t able to get a bigger size so I asked for a refund so we could just get something else.

The refund policy is even a bigger joke- all they do is ship it back to HD headquarters and then once they get the item, I will get my refund!?!? It's been 13 days and HD have the item and when I called to inquire about the money being put back on my account, I was told that it would probably be another 2-3 weeks!!! This is beyond ridiculous- would HD let me go in and get an item and not pay them for 4-5 weeks??? Hell no! I will never do business with any HD location or online- save money and the hassle and buy HD crap on Ebay.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I wanted syn oil. The order said regular. No customer service. I'm 24 minutes on hold now. This is worse than AT&T. I drove 30 miles to the local dealer. They were closed for inventory, so I tried this service. What a joke. I'll stick with Amazon aftermarket oil and filter. This is why companies can't compete with Amazon. And whine about no business.

Get expert buying tips about Motorcycle Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This is my fifth motorcycle from this manufacturer and my second CVO. A CVO is the most expensive model they sell. My experience and the quality have dropped from very good in 2005 to mediocre over 15 years of ownership. The 2019 product is of less quality, support and enjoyment than my 2016 and 2014 motorcycles.

First, the sale experience sucked. Two dealerships tried to sell me a bike I did not want using the argument that "it was the same bike but only in a different colour". Then, I could not get a final tally of the total cost so I could compare prices. Finally, some dealers offered up to CAD 2,000 in credits for accessories while other gave nothing.

When I picked up the bike, there was thee paint/finish defects on it right off the floor! Two were fixed after a battle with service and I am still fighting on the tank. The base coat in the gas tank was not properly buffed and one can still see the orange peel effect under the clear coat! So much for paying for the "most premium paint finish in the industry".

To too cap it off, I now have rust spots on the front fender lifting and cracking the paint and clear coat! Never had this problem before on my four other Harleys. Then, I had to have one speaker replaced within the week if use. I am not one who ride with tunes on and, when I do, the volume is never set to more than half. Parts are hardly available in Canada since HD dismantled Deeley's operation and implemented a new ERP system for parts management and distribution. We have to get our parts in the US.

The cherry on the Sundae is the uncertainty riding this machine knowing that the engine runs much hotter than the 88 series and that it's water pump is on its 7th redesign since the introduction of the Milwaukee Eight engine. It is like we have taken a huge step in quality, reliability and value back to the 70s when the bikes were just awful pieces of junk. HD's are some of the most expensive machine one can buy. If you desperately want the "brand" then buy one and be prepared to be frustrated and to fork out thousands of dollars more than the purchase price. I, for one, am done with the products of this motor company. There goes another loyal customer. Thank you, HD.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

If you are looking at buying a Harley think again! We purchased a Harley five years ago and a part in the transmission broke. We have waited over four months for it to come. My husband rings every week to see where it is and keep getting the same ridiculous answer. There is a glitch in the Harley systems and they can't do anything about it???? Just plain old BAD Customer service. What if you needed it for a work vehicle? For the amount of money we paid for a brand new Harley we expect a lot better from Harley! If you are looking at buying a Harley look elsewhere. Pretty much anywhere would be better I think!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I ordered a woman's jacket for my girlfriend on Dec 10th....after HOURS on hold trying to find out the status of my order, I was told my order will not be sent to me in time for Christmas. What a complete joke. I will NEVER order from Harley again!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My online order for a Christmas gift was cancelled without notifying me. In addition, I was on hold close to two hours to reach their customer service! I will never shop HD again. I think HD does not care about the quality of their service.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

M8 Transmission Transfer. Purchased a NEW 2019 Ultra Limited in August. Was not told about the TA0022 Harley Tech Article, Transmission to Primary Oil Transfer. I did my 1000 fluid change only to find 14oz in the Transmission it, it holds 28oz, Oil went into the Primary. Called the Dealer. They said, "Finish the oil changes, then drive it and keep an eye on it." Next day we went for a 190 mile ride, 1/2 way I could hear a loud winding in the gears. We stop for 20 minutes and made our way home, once at home found it transferred again. Gears require oil otherwise they will heat up and get warped causing a winding noise. HD and the local dealer are still refusing to replace the Trans. HD treats you like your dirt from Corp to the local dealership. Extremely Poor Customer Service from HD and wish I had known this prior. I would have never bought this bike.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Had a 2002 FXDWG3 as soon as I got back from Iraq. Loved the 88 but the bike when through 3 stators in under 10,000 miles. Next was the 2005 FXDB, loved the handling but the engine always blew out oil of the stock air cleaner on long rides. 9500 miles the fuel pump quit. Got tired of it, thought the 107 and a FLTRU would be an improvement. Nope. Before the bike had its break in extortion performed, my engine oil levels would be low on the dipstick. So I’d add oil. Then run it and check again after my ride. Overfull. So I’d pump it out until it was half way on the stick. Took it to Big St Charles Harley in St Louis to look at it. They tried saying to me that I was losing a quart of oil through my air breather...

Took it back around 1500 miles with same issue, this time with an aftermarket intake. Same place same rocket scientist mech. He pulled the filter and said “Look, there’s your quart of oil.” I told him to grab new filter and poor a quart of oil into and see what that looks like. I’ve switched to about 6 dealerships in the STL metro area, all with incompetent mechanics and despicable workmanship. They did the warranty replacement for the oil pump, which was the same exact pump unless they lied and said they did something but didn’t. They did the vent tube recall to prevent the oil transfer. The bike still loses power and feels like it’s in limp mode. Not fun for merging onto a highway. The breaks have created a death wobble because the dealer said they weren’t warped enough for Harley to replace. The one dealer put a new rear tire on and when I checked the psi, it was 65psi, way above the max load recommended 41.

I’ve seen holes in castings below tappet cuffs and have had several other vet buddies saying they have hd non stop issues. Whether it was the 107, 114 or 117. Stay away from this imported garbage and go Indian or check out the prices of the BMW or Yamaha touring bikes. At least 10k less than a CVO and far better technology and mechanics. I won’t go to another dealership to use their bathroom. Any parts needed are aftermarket, like S&S. PS MMI doesn’t make people experts and seems to create an arrogance among those dweeb mechanics. Finally found a former Marine Avionic Tech that has a speed shop. He has my business for as long as I own the POS.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Bought at end of Jan.2019; from R&R in Jasper GA. Paid extra for extended warranty, was sent letter owner had signed off all set. Went back to Ga. in May for wedding, went to R&R. Told them about brake problems. Couldn't help a 'dealership' warranty problem. Never said a word about they hadn't handled the transfer! Took to dealer in Mass. June, brakes completely gone! Emergency brake doesn't completely release unless 'you snap it'. Showed them the ext. warranty booklet, and letter from R&R, we still ended up paying several hundred dollars. Clutch, shifter, and reverse motor; not touched.

Had respected independent dealer verify, clutch, and shifter shaft had a lot of play, for 3,000 miles. Didn't know about reverse motors. Recommended dealer he knew. Took it up next available appointment, Sept.; restated above problems getting worse! A week later got bike, with bill for over $200 dollars they did nothing, except write up snide insulting comments, about 50 plus year riders!

The extended warranty we paid for, expired on Oct. 11. The girl at the service desk assured us the problems were documented and would be covered if anything happened! At Biketoberfest in Daytona, Oct. 17-20, the reverse motor quit completely! The gear shifter shaft with too much play left us stuck several time in intersections and traffic. We called Corporate, explained all this, have doc. to back-up, and they're not willing to do a thing! The reverse motor alone $1400 without installation! I want them to BUY THEIR LEMON BACK!! Wish us luck.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Very dissatisfied with the service. We were 400+ miles from home on a cycle trip. We broke a lower front shock and limped in. Service writer was very helpful, checked that the dealership had the new parts and service manager even stopped by and said they had take offs as well, I chose the new chrome full kit. About $1000 with labor. Said they would have it out in 3-4 hours. We walked to a restaurant and received a call from a salesperson within 15 minutes wanting me to trade my 2009 Electra glide in on a new one. I explained I had customized mine and spent lots of money to get it exactly how I wanted it. Lots of life left in it with only 35,000 miles. I said no, that I just want to repair it. Within 10 minutes I received a text saying “no parts to repair your bike, ready for pickup”.

We walked back and nobody could explain how they had the parts but when I did not want to buy a new bike, then they did not have the parts. Charged me $63.00. Said my oil filter was loose and seeping a little oil. The bike ahead and the bike behind me got the same story, neither were repaired but wanted to sell them a bike. Did I mention we limped in 400+ miles from home and was told there was nothing they could help with? I believe the dealership and most Harley Davidson dealerships have forgotten that service sells new bikes, not design, not salesman. When out on the road, people want to be taken care of, that is what keeps people coming back to a brand.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team