3.65/5
Based on 77 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

361 Harley-Davidson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Apparently there's some noted and ongoing issue with Transmissions in this year acrossed the different styles of bikes. There is a bearing that seems to walk its way into the seal and take out the seal. If not caught quickly it also takes out the shaft. I have baby this 2010 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic for the last 8 years never has it been outside of a heated garage, service record has been kept Beyond recommendations, and it has extremely low mileage for a bike this old. I believe that it just crossed 20000 Miles.

And now here I am without my bike for all of June part of July because Harley-Davidson does not have the part and it's back ordered. Maybe it's because they have so many issues that they can't keep them in stock. This is extremely disappointing to me not to mention the cost plus the loss of my bike Plus how disillusioned I am with what is supposed to be an American made proud manufacturer. If this is what happens to Harley-Davidson's after 20000 miles then I understand why they have struggled with going broke. So much for American made and so much for the history of Harley-Davidson, pretty much all about money and service and quality are something that used to mean something ages of go. If you're reading this I would highly discourage you from buying Harley-Davidson, this from a once-proud Harley Rider.

Original review: June 12, 2018

After making an 800 dollar purchase on 5/27 at the Dartmouth store, I discovered I left my jacket with wallet in the store after I left for graduation at Brown University. When I got back to the store the money was missing from my pocket in the amount of 500 hundred dollars. I know there are cameras there. I called the store and they have cameras. I think this matter should be investigated. I flew in from Chicago and was in for the graduation and I had to leave after. I didn't call the police but everyone said corporate should look into this.

Get expert buying tips about Motorcycle Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I took my Screamin Eagle Fatboy 05 in for a slight vibration in the clutch and a light chirp. Told them (Kokomo Indiana Harley-Davidson dealership) to check the clutch and if it was anything expensive to call me first. After being there a month they finally called me back. They took my whole motor apart and telling me my front connecting rod is 1000 over the limit. Wish they say was causing the vibration in my clutch. I know many mechanics and no this is BS. Anyone have any suggestions how I should handle this?

Original review: May 31, 2018

Don't buy the maintenance contract with a new Harley. They slip this into financing on the bike then you find out you must schedule the service, you cannot cancel the contract, you can only take it to the dealer named in the contract and guess what? The service department will not answer you when you try to set up service! They want you to email request and when you do they say, "Thank you. Someone will contact you," and they never do. You call on the phone and it sends you to voicemail takes the message and thanks you saying someone will contact you soon and they never do! So you're stuck paying for this including finance charges and they aren't going to honor it and eventually it will blow your warranty.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Had an experience with engine shutting off when coming to a stop or just slowing down. Had it in to service department 4 times and was told that they could not find a problem and wanted to charge me again on my 4th try. This situation went on for almost 3 years. Finally one day I came upon something on my computer Britfix stalling problem, he simply took off the breather over and sprayed carb cleaner in the hole before butterfly in the intake. Problem fixed. Now I know why they call their techs and not mechanics because they cannot repair a situation unless the computer tells them what to do so I do not see them as mechanics. Harley had 4 chances to fix this situation and I was able to take care of it myself. Have owned Harley’s since the 60s and will continue to buy the brand but have little trust in their service department. If that situation happened at the wrong time and I was hurt would Harley accept any responsibility for this, I think not.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Harley Davidson?

Original review: April 25, 2018

Damaged bike Harley Newnan GA - I purchased my bike from them. Had it up there for a smoke coming from the breather gas fumes and oil leaks. They cross threaded the drain plug and damaged the transmission. They kept sending me in my way knowing that plug could have came out and killed me. They were unethical and unprofessional when they released my information to my ex husband. They will not step up for the damage or inconvenience they have caused instead want to sling mud at the other dealer that I had to take my bike to for repairs. Harley Corporation has told me that the dealers are independently owned so there is nothing more they can do if the owner will not step up and make it right. The store says they are not aware of any leaks in my bike and refused to give me my service records. This is just a small fraction of the problems I am having.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Purchased 2017 Harley Davidson Road King in February of 2018 and only start riding it 2 days ago (due to the NY weather), bike was parked at the garage all the time. If anyone familiar with Brooklyn NY you know how much traffic you hit on local highways when traveling. So, make the story short, I ride 90 miles every day to and from work and probably 10-12 miles of my ride is usually in traffic. Often it is stop and go traffic. Rarely it is light traffic. HYDRAULIC CLUTCH lever is the worst thing you can have in traffic conditions because it literally kills your wrist and elbow from moving it so often in a stop and go situation when the clutch is so hard. I know there are a few options out there to get an adjustable clutch lever to make it easier on a rider but why do I have to spent more money on a new lever when it should be adjusted by HD?

I called corporate office and explained the situation and all they said is "This is how it is and there is nothing we can do about it, bring it to the dealer and they will inspect it again (meanwhile I got this bike from HD dealer less than 2 month ago and never rode the bike) but why???" It's a known problem with HYDRAULIC CLUTCH and HD not doing anything about it. So the question is how good is the HD service in reality? What can I get out of it when I'm having so much troubles with a new bike particularly HYDRAULIC CLUTCH lever? Please HD explain it to me and is there any other solutions to my problem? Thank you.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Harley-Davidson's American made and a very respected brand but I have always enjoyed tinkering with it. Price is definitely something I would change as it's a little expensive. If they had a cheaper version there would be a lot of more people to put in your way and will enjoy it but Harley is getting better. They are cheaper than they used to be and the parts are easy to get.

Harley does it like a very high-quality machine. It's easy to ride and very distinctive. You can through them from blocks away. The sounds of a Harley is very cool. Very enjoyable with a good resale value. They are good on long road trips and nice to take on a weekend getaway. The bigger ones with the saddlebags are very roomy and you can take a lot of gear with you.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Since new, my 2017 road glide ultra has exhibited spark knock during full throttle acceleration, especially at higher RPMs (over 2500 RPM). I took it to the dealer and they simply said "could not duplicate". I have read several other accounts of this phenomenon on different online forums. Harley Davidson's "contact us" link on their web page doesn't work either. Can ConsumerAffairs help?

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have been looking for a great HD for over five years. The store owner sold it to me at a great price. He had just decided to sell it and this was the first day he had put in on the showroom floor. I know him well and he knows I will take great care of this great Harley Davidson. It has been well taken care of and garage kept, has low mileage and by far the prettiest HD I have ever owned. Everyone stares at it and smiles when I drive by. My best Harley friends and the guys I work with that are motorcycle owners were also amazed at this fabulous Harley-Davidson and look at it with envy. It's purplish deep blue and a real beauty. The headlights are big and bright, great backrest, huge side lockable side bags, able to hold so much more cargo than my Road King Harley-Davidson. It's very stylish and one of a kind.

My new selection of Harley gives me low gas mileage, and I feel so cool driving it anywhere. It's easy to drive, bold, fast, loud, outstandingly built, modern. It is powerful and takes safe great turns. It has a build in AM-FM radio that the volume goes up on its own, big double mirrors for added safety, lower in the back with not overheating pipes. However, I still am in shock at the price I negotiated it to. But I love this bike and what a great buy this was. I will be entering this Harley in many Harley ride contests, poker runs, and will be riding this to Sturgis next year.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Harley Davidson is a symbol of United States of America and I like the iconic statue in what Harley Davidson stands for. I bought mine in the early 1980's when few people own a Harley Davidson. I have taken a number of defense of driving courses. I love my motorcycle and its sound, loud pipes save lives. I also like the power, the control you have as a rider and that I am able to work on every aspect of the motorcycle. Instead of viewing the scenery you are part of the scenery. More power, more American made components and more reliable longer wearing rear tires.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I chose Harley because it is American made and has a stylish style that will never go out of style!!! They are the best motorcycles out there. It is so much fun to ride! They are good for road trips with friends. It is the best you can buy!!! Harley Davidson is in my blood and I love the brand. Real people ride Harleys! The only thing is sometimes they cost way too much!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I like everything about my Harley. I like the design, the paint job, the price, the people who work at the Harley dealership and most of all the extra goodies you can get from them. The Harley name speaks for itself and it has been nothing short of a dream come true to own my Harley. It had never have me any problems and i do not expect it ever will. It's the highest quality of motorcycle toy can buy and I never even thought for minute about buying a different brand than a Harley.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Harley-Davidson is a very respected motorcycle and is the biggest leader in the industry. It has consistent quality and had modern technology. It's big and it says a lot. It's made with the best material, is very comfortable to ride, looks cool, and has nice color. However, they are very expensive, at times it's too loud for the neighborhood. It's also very hard to keep up on the appearance and all the chrome and hard to keep in garage because of its massive size. Other than that, the brand offers the best ride hands down. It is a prestigious brand with a rich history. It allows you to be in an exclusive club and gets you a lot of attention while riding.

Original review: March 20, 2018

They are a brand you can trust. I like their high performance engines and they offer several different models of motorcycles to fit anyone's needs. There is a size of bike and price for everyone who wants one. Resale on their motorcycles is really good value for the money. The only thing I dislike about this motorcycle brand is how expensive there merchandise is (does not include the motorcycles themselves). No matter where you try to buy their merchandise it's very overpriced. Even the resale prices on used merchandise is still expensive. But they always have had very helpful, friendly service when we go to any dealership.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I chose Harley Davidson as they offered the style and requirements that I was looking for. They also offered the best financing deal that I could find in my county. I love the different styles of the bikes and the way it helps me drive better. I also love how sexy I look on their bikes. Their handling is amazing and I love the gas mileage I get. Their seats are very comfortable and the customer service is beyond approach. They're perfect just the way they are. This is the second one that I have owned and I will buy another one from them.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I decided I wanted a Harley at the age of 10. I was looking through one of my Dad's Cycle World mags, there was an ad for the '77 models. I looked at the pics of that Low Rider and Wide Glide like I was looking at my 1st Playboy. I bought my 1st HD years ago. It was a 1200 Sportster. I took my wife on our 1st date on that bike. Now, a Road King & Electra Glide later, I won't be without one. I like the way it sounds, feels and looks. I also like that it's made in America and to me, very few things scream America like Harley Davidson. However, I wish H.D. would get back to basics a little more. It's cool they make models that are already customized. But, I'd like to see more entry level models. I'd also like to see the Dyna come back.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I love the Harley Davidson motorcycle brand and all it stands for. I have owned just about every other brand and Harley Davidson is by far the king of the hill as far as performance, power, style, all around bad ** of all motorcycle brands. I have owned my 2016 Sportster 48 for two years now and I am amazed at the way she takes those turns every time I put my knuckles and knees in the wind. I love the way my Sporty 48 handles the curves. Those big tires really help in the overall handling of the bike. My overall experience with Harley Davidson has nothing other than amazing. They have come a long way and improved in so many ways. If you're going to invest in a bike that you will enjoy and be proud to own for years to come purchase a Harley Davidson.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I love Harley-Davidson motorcycles. These special brand of bikes are always top quality. They never let me down. It may sound like a cliche, but a Harley-Davidson feels different than most bikes. Many owners are preoccupied with image and sound, so much so that forget what an amazing motorcycle it is. However, Harley owners remain the most brand-loyal of all motorcycle owners, with an astounding 75% saying they'd buy a Harley again. The occasional small repair bill may simply be a price they're willing to pay for owning the most famous name in motorcycles. (And it probably doesn't hurt that Harley goes the extra mile to take care of its customers when an issue with one of its bikes does arise.) Therefore, despite some flaws or company setback the Harley-Davidson remain some of the best motorcycle on the market.

Original review: March 12, 2018

It is American made and very well made. They are very desirable and dependable. There are several different models. Mine was an anniversary edition and I ended up selling it for the same price I purchased it for. They hold their value! They also have good trade-in value and have financing available. They offer a very good service and there are several stores around to assist you with anything you would possibly need. And I really like the attire that they have that you can purchase. Moreover, you can get maintenance agreement. They stand behind their product.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Owning a Harley is like asking to have it worked on every year at least one time or in my case more than once. My Harley required a 1000.00 repair that I could not afford. It seems that Harley owners have had clutch problems for years. On my 07 Sportster, the problem consisted of, a total meltdown of the clutch assembly. The connecting pin that is used to connect the clutch cable to the primary, just broke off and this created a lot of damage to the clutch rings inside, bending them and totally locking up the clutch. This happened the very first day I attempted to ride after a winter spent in the garage. The damage was so extensive that it made the 07 a complete loss for me. I ended up selling it back to the Harley dealer for $2000.00.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The Harley-Davidson bike has a nice look to it, a strong motor and a very smooth ride. This bike is very powerful and durable. I depend a lot on my bike to get me where I am going. However, the bike is too heavy and hard to control a little. The gears are a little hard to get used to, but with a little more practice you should be fine riding down the highway. Harley-Davidson bikes last pretty long in driving and proper upkeep condition.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Harleys are iconic American steel, it has always been at the top of my list for motorcycle brands. They have high quality craftsmanship, long legacy and seem to take pride in their work. I love the sound and feel of the engine. When you fire it up, everyone already knows what brand that it is without even having to turn and look. No other company's motorcycles sound even close. I also like that this style is closer to the ground and it is easier for some of us shorter to get on and off the bike. It would be nice if they could make the motorcycles a little bit lighter weight, but still keep their quality of craftsmanship. There are a lot of people who are on the small side, myself included, who have a harder time handling them because they are pretty heavy. I know for myself especially it makes me feel kind of left out of their development plans.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

This brand is interesting, cool, high quality, is intense, is the best motorcycle brand. It has the best quality, classic and powerful models, and it does not have the best prices but its models are the best. I wish they change the prices, make better deals, keep the models of all the years, and would make a system of sending so that they take to the house of the buyer. Other than that, I love this brand. They have great models and great deals I like especially for the classic models.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I like the look, the image, the sound of their bikes. They are and say America. My dad owned them in the 40's and 50's and I have owned them since my 20's. Fact is outside of an Indian there is nothing like them at all. But I wish they were cheaper. Harleys are very expensive and you do get what you pay for but that does not change the fact that they are on the expensive side. I prefer to only buy American products and not Japanese products. If you want the very best you buy a Harley not a Jap bike. In addition the group you belong to is unlike any other bike ownership. Everyone that owns a Harley is willing to help a fellow owner.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Harley-Davidson is a great company with the best products. They are made in the U.S.A, stylish, dependable, easy access ability to parts, and easy to maintain and work on. It also rides extremely comfortably for both driver and rider and handles wonderfully. Heads definitely turn when you pass others on the road and I have found most other motorcyclists who owned bikes from other manufacturers tend to be extremely envious. I understand the impeccable craftsmanship that goes into designing and building these gorgeous motorcycles however I believe the high ticket price makes these cycles inaccessible to many consumers.

Nevertheless, Harley-Davidson has a top of the line reputation and great consumer reviews were a big factor in my decision to look at Harley's in the first place. Once I began to do my research and seek out a dealer I was extremely impressed at the customer service I received. I have had to buy parts several times over the years and always found my needs a top priority by company sales associates. The service is impeccable and I believe no better motor.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Harley-Davidson's solid reliability makes this the perfect choice for my needs. It has lots of power and comfort. These bikes are very well made, great body style and super gas mileage. I love the color and the many places for storage which are customer to the bike, great sound system and power. I cannot think of anything to improve this bike. The only thing to make this better would be to offer this same quality and power at a cheaper price or maybe with a larger trade in value when you are ready to buy another one. I would recommend this brand to anyone who is interested in riding and buying a motorcycle. There is no better name or quality than this one. I would highly recommend this one for size and safety as well as the power and the gas mileage.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I liked the model of motorcycle. My family have always been big motorcycle people and they have always purchased this brand for many years because it gives the best ride and it's a quality motorcycle. I like the way the motorcycle handles very well and also it's a very fast motorcycle and it looks great. I get many compliments on it, and I don't think I would ever change brands because of the smooth ride and family tradition.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

As far as I'm concerned Harley-Davidson is the only Motorcycle Company. I love Harleys. They're the only brand that I consider buying new. They are American made and they're awesome mean in Milwaukee near where I grew up and they're just the best bike gear is on the road. A Harley-Davidson Sportster was the very first new motorcycle I ever bought. I bought it in 1989 and it was the year that they had a $3,999 price tag on the vehicles and that made it possible that I could buy it. It was an awesome bike. It was the color, piping, the looks and it was a Sharp bike. It was also called a hugger.

It got great gas mileage and it was super good looking. I automatically became a member of the hog family with the purchase of the bike. I went to Sturgis and it was a blast. I even took it on a trip and got stuck in a super bad rainstorm and the bike never slipped and never slid. I had no problems and never lost control. I got through the storm without a scratch even though other bikes like Toyota, Hondas and Yamaha sand near Goldwings and stuff for all parked on the side under the bridges.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I like the quality of Harley Davidson motorcycles and the rich history and tradition of the brand. I also enjoy the brotherhood between Harley owners. I have owned a few different Harleys over the years and have yet to be disappointed. The freedom of riding down the road is one of the best feelings you'll ever experience. Nothing compares to that. The cost is worth it when you consider the quality. But the purchase price could be a little bit lower.

Harley Davidson expert review by Jonathan Trout

Harley-Davidson got its start in 1903 and continues to make stylish and high-performance motorycles as well as custom builds. Choose from 31 models of road motorcycle, from cruisers and touring bikes to sportier classic street bikes.

• H-D Street: H-D Street bikes come in three models with either a 500 or 750 cc liquid-cooled engine. The 750 model has a low weight and low center of gravity for easier push off as well as optional antilock brakes and specially tuned shocks. It also has 44.5 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 492 pounds and has a seat height of 25.7 inches. H-D Street models start at $7,599 and go up to $8,699. View all models and performance options on the Harley-Davidson website.

• Sportster: Harley-Davidson makes five models of motorcycles in its sportster series. These bikes are built with low seats and a low center of gravity, making them easy to balance. The 1200 Custom model features a custom-style paint job and a 1200 cc V-Twin engine. It has 73 feet per pound of engine torque, weighs 562 pounds and has a seat height of 26.6 inches. Prices range from $8,700 to $11,300 for base models.

• Softail: Harley-Davidson makes eight models of softail motorcycles. Softail bikes have the classic look of a hardtail frame with hidden shocks for a comfortable ride. The Street Bob lands in the middle of the softail price range. It has an engine that offers 110 feet per pounds of torque, weighs 630 pounds and has a seat height of 25.8 inches. It comes with digital instrumentation, keyless ignition, a USB charging port and LED lighting. Prices start at $14,500 and go as high as $19,000 for base models. Check out all softail models online.

• Touring: Harley-Davidson makes 10 models of touring motorcycles designed for comfort on the open road. Touring bikes range in price from $19,000 to $27,000 and feature different performance and comfort accessories that make riding long distances more comfortable. Touring models can include sound systems, Bluetooth capability and a USB port. They’ll have comfort seating with arm rests and responsive suspension systems. Check out all 10 models online.

• CVO series: Harley-Davidson’s CVO bikes are designed for ultimate comfort on long-distance rides. There are three models in the series, ranging in price from about $40,000 to $43,000. Features include custom paint finishes and paint schemes, high-performance front and rear suspension, LED lighting, heated hammock seats and two wireless headsets. The headsets let you make hands-free calls and listen to music, GPS navigation and other passengers. Also included is an integrated security system featuring a hands-free fob that locks and unlocks your bike and luggage and that arms and disarms security alarms from a distance.

• Best for: motorcycle enthusiasts who want a classic-looking bike or long-distance riders who want premium comfort on cross-country trips.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout