Find a Car Models partner

3. Car Models

3.9/5 (517 ratings)
Find a Car Models partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About GMC Acadia

The GMC Acadia is a mid-size SUV. Model years 2007-2016 were full-size. Read more General Motors reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

GMC Acadia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GMC Acadia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GMC Acadia?

Original review: May 17, 2019

Sat in the car using accessories on my lunch hour. Clock did not keep time. Hit the accessory button. Again it went back 4 min from where it was - overall lost 10 min every time I hit the accessory button. Has anyone else had this issue? Also very uncomfortable driver's seat. Supposed to be top of the line better than other models. When I took an SLE out for comparison that seat was much better. Go figure.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was driving my car maximum 10km/H because I was getting out of the parking of a gym. Sunny day, good visibility, 10 o'clock in the morning, I was alone in my GMC Acadia. Suddenly all my airbags deployed without any accident. There is not even any scratch on my car.

Original review: April 25, 2019

We bought our Acadia in the summer of 2017. Within 2 weeks of owning it we had to take it to the shop for motor and catalytic converter issues. Long story short, we have now owned the car for two years and have only been able to drive it/ have it parked in our driveway for 6 months. Those 6 months aren't even consecutive, more like the weeks in between shop visits. During those visits numerous motors were put into the car along with new parts to whatever they could see needing fixed. At first we thought it was the shop doing a bad job but after the THIRD shop we visited, it became clear to us it is something with the car and not us.

Every mechanic we have talked too says the motor for the Acadia and a couple other GMC/Chev models just don’t last past 32,000 miles. We can't even get rid of the vehicle due to the never ending check engine light and its constant engine light led to it failing inspection making the car undrivable (eventually we did get a passed inspection). Our last visit had the car pulling up 19 error readings, most involving the Transmission and Motor. There is no end to the problems on this vehicle and we have barley driven it.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased my 2012 Denali from an Authorized dealer in Anchorage Alaska. I live in a rural community in Alaska and had my car barged to me in Nome Alaska. I have serviced my car 2 times a year with our local mechanic. My car as less than 25,000 miles on it. I drive less than 4 miles round trip to work at 25 to 30 miles per hr. This car has never been ran hard. This SUV is now in Catastrophic engine failure!!! The only way to check on what is going on with it is to pull the engine. If there is an issue with the engine we should just replace it due to the cost of whatever could be the problem and no guarantees it will not happen again. My mechanic explained that this is a known issue with these engines and there is no way of preventing it from happening even if we replace the engine!!! I feel like I have a beautiful piece of junk. I loved everything about this SUV. I paid top $$$ to have a nice reliable vehicle. I will never buy a GMC again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I purchased a 2012 GMC Acadia from the used vehicle department of Cole McNatt GMC in Gainesville, Texas. Shortly after purchase of the Vehicle, I noticed that the Vehicle began shaking while shifting. This led me to believe that there was an issue with the Vehicle’s transmission, which was confirmed by my mechanic.

Below is a timeline of my correspondence with GM: Initial call to GM on 11/20. Case number given #**. Spoke to representative and told him there was a transmission issue diagnosed by my mechanic. Watson Transmission in Denison, TX that could potentially be covered under warranty. GM Representative indicated that there could be coverage assistance if issue was similar to Wave Plate and recall transmission for similar model vehicles. GM Representative also indicated that GM would likely provide financial assistance due to the fact that the vehicle was under the mileage limit for warranty coverage (despite being a few months out of the time limit). Was advised by Representative to bring vehicle into a GMC dealership.

11/21 brought vehicle to my local GM dealership, Parkway Buick GMC in Sherman, Texas. A week later I was told the vehicle transmission would need to inspected in order to identify issue to submit to GM for coverage. I was informed that the charge to disassemble and diagnose the issue, $1,000, would be my responsibility until coverage was determined; the dealership. Based on the statement from the GM Representative that GM would likely provide financial assistance, I decided to proceed. 12/6 Dealership indicated the transmission would need to be replaced and GM had denied warranty claim. I contacted GM and was told the claim was denied but a new ticket number was given to escalate to Senior Analyst. Senior Analyst determined no coverage.

Parkway Buick GMC gave me the option of paying to have the Vehicle put back together (in addition to the $1,000 we had to pay to take it apart) or replacing the transmission altogether. As it did not seem prudent (financially or practically) to reassemble the Vehicle with a known transmission issue, I elected to have Parkway Buick GMC replace the transmission (at a cost of nearly $5,000). Had I not been encouraged by the GM Representative that assistance would be provided, I would not have proceeded, at that time, with the initial disassembly and inspection, as my family was not prepared for the financial burden of transmission replacement.

After researching this specific problem, I have learned that this is a common issue with the Acadia model vehicle. I believe that the failure of the Vehicle’s transmission was a manufacturing flaw. And, considering that the Vehicle was just a few months out of warranty but under the warranty mileage limit at the time the issue was discovered, I appealed, asking that GM cover in full or share with me the cost of this repair. My appeal was denied.

GM’s reputation and marketing emphasize its vehicles’ durability, reliability, and safety and care for customer satisfaction. I have many family and friends that have owned GM vehicles and, before this incident, I had no reason to believe that the company would deny coverage for repair of an issue with one of its vehicles. I was, honestly, very surprised that GM not only denied my claim but also declined to offer assistance with the $1,000 charge for diagnosis, a step that was taken at the suggestion of one of its dealerships. Especially considering that I had been told by the GM representative that there would likely be assistance.

I anticipate that in a few years, I will need to upgrade to newer vehicle, but now I hesitate to ever purchase another GM vehicle. I am GM’s target customer, the father of a young family that is growing and will have a need for multiple safe and dependable vehicles for years to come. GM did not stand behind its product and cover the cost of this repair.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I purchased a brand new 2012 GMC Acadia at the end of November 2011. The engine had to be replaced at 31,000 miles. When they replaced the engine (thankfully that was covered under warranty) and took it for a test ride it was noted that the engine was MISFIRING. They replaced the fuel injector and everything seemed kind of ok for a while.

Months later the car had a thumping/ rattling noise in the front end. Also the car started misfiring again. Spark plugs were changed twice and coil was replaced. I have been towed a few times and drove to the dealership numerous times. The car has been in the shop 22 times for the SAME TWO ISSUES. They changed just about everything in the front end for the thumping/rattling noise... struts, bushings, etc. They couldn't figure it out so they had a GMC expert fly out from the Midwest. Supposedly they fixed the issue and the noise went away for a while and came back. Now they tell me I need new struts!!?? Again?? And, now they tell me I need new cylinder heads also at $5100!! This new engine only has 60,000 miles on it!!

I have a friend who has owned a shop for 35 years and has worked on my car a couple of times. He thinks maybe when they put the engine in they pinched the wiring harness or it's something electrical that is causing the misfiring since it is random. He also feels since they changed everything in the front end they didn't tighten the cradle bolts when they put the engine back in and that is what's causing the rattling noise. These problems started after they put the new engine in. Whatever the case the car has been a piece of junk from the beginning. Also the power steering pump has been replaced twice in two years, not to mention numerous recalls and other issues. I have contacted an attorney and I would NEVER trust another GMC vehicle. I have NEVER owned a vehicle with so many issues. Not even a used vehicle...

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I called GMC for roadside assistance. They took my information & payment, made me wait for 3+ hrs for help & then they cancelled my order without notifying me. I called them back to complain & their response: we will be returning your money back within 3 to 5 days & that i should call the police. GMC needs to stand by their products & services. You need to hire well qualified, trained & reliable staff and/or business partners. This was unprofessional & deceiving to the consumer. My complaints will be recorded with the BBB, Consumer Affairs & Federal Trade Commission. The consumer shouldn't have to go thru this nightmare. If you can't do the job then say that you can't do it. Be honest for once. Word of advise to ALL reading this: DO NOT CALL for GMC roadside assistance - no one will come to help you. Call your insurance company and use their roadside assistance - it FREE and they helped me in 30 min. Hope things will change.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I purchased a 2012 Acadia with 55K miles a few years ago and honestly it was the best riding and most spacious truck I have ever owned. I loved it until it started have random issues with engine light going off all the time and it was always another sensor that need to be replaced. Finally a month before the warranty ran out the engine light was reading timing belt (dealer said stretched and needed new at $3,000). Truck was running fine as I saved up the money for that. Then when I did bring it to the dealer to get new timing chain they told me the next day that it had camshaft engine failure and it would cost me $8,800 to fix it.

I still owe 11,500 on it and trade in is $9,500. Ran fine when I brought it in and now does not run at all. Contacted GMC and they were very in telling me they would not honor the warranty that ran out a few months ago even though the engine and chain failure was well within warranty. GMC and the dealer agreed to discount the engine to $6,400 but that only puts the price were it should have been in the first place. Found some records at the dealers that says engine went in 2013 with 2,600 miles on it too.

That for sure means GMC is well aware of this engine chain and camshaft problem but refuses to acknowledge it or take responsibility for it and that BUCK STOPS HERE... Small claims court here we come... Sorry for all you others out there that purchased a GMC product as they were a great company 15 years ago until they decide to go the route of Ford in 1975. Just bad trucks and customer service until they almost went out of business.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I bought brand new (expensive) 2015 Acadia Denali 3 yrs ago. I get it Ziebarted with diamond gloss wax as recommended by GMC dealership every year faithfully. This vehicle was my pride and joy sort of speak. I have a defect in the paint on the hood. There is no paint damage or scratches in this area, its started to show as a rust bubble. Of course, paint only covered under warranty if 36,000 miles or 3 yrs, which I don't qualify for. So sorry about my luck. Also I have the same problem as the 2015 Buick Enclave with an inoperative purge solenoid, it's causing the same problems but you guessed it, no recall on the Acadias so again, no help from GMC after spending so much money.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I bought brand new (expensive) 2015 Acadia Denali 3 yrs ago. I get it Ziebarted with diamond gloss wax as recommended by GMC dealership every year faithfully. This vehicle was my pride and joy so to speak. I have a defect in the paint on the hood. There is no paint damage or scratches in this area, its started to show as a rust bubble. Of course, paint only covered under warranty if 36,000 miles or 3 yrs, which I don't qualify for. So sorry about my luck. Also I have the same problem as the 2015 Buick Enclave with an inoperative purge solenoid, it's causing the same problems but you guessed it, no recall on the Acadias so again, no help from GMC after spending so much money.

GMC Acadia Company Information