GM Electric Windows

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have been replacing cable wires in our power windows regularly. They are almost $400.00 each and another one just broke. Edwards Motors stated GM became aware of the problem in 2005. They learned that the stainless steel was becoming oxidized and fragile. Since 2006, they began using a galvanized material, but have no concern for those of us with the stainless steel who have been spending almost $400.00 every few years on broken cable wires. Edwards Motors said they began keeping these cable wires in stock because so many people have had this problem. We were told we need to roll all the windows down once a week or this will continue to happen over and over (which it has).

My husband is an 86-year-old WWII vet who is not able to go to his car every single week and start it up and roll all the windows down. There are only 50,000 miles on this car and it looks brand new because he has taken care of it. This is not fair. He served on the USS Hornet and was at the battle of Okinawa. He manned the 40 mm guns on that ship. My husband is in an assisted living facility and we have spoken to other elderly residents and their families. One of them (an elderly woman) with a Buick is having the same problem.

My sister (an elderly woman) also has a GM car and had to replace one of the cables twice in the same year. Hers is a 2004. We were told we needed to report the problem when the car was still under warranty. In 2005, GM was aware of this cable problem and should have recalled all of them back in 2005 when the car was still under warranty. Please help my elderly husband and all the other elderly people that tend to drive Buicks. We can't afford $400.00 for cable wires every year.

We bought a new Lesabre Buick and before it had 30,000 miles, the automatic windows started failing. They replaced two. Now a third one has failed. The window fails back into the door constantly. The controls do not work. We complained to General Motors. They deny having problems but we have talked to many other people who have the same problem. Each window costs almost $400 to fix the motor in same. We know they have a problem they will not acknowledge.

I purchased a '98 Firebird Formula, it's great looking and fast, however, I have now had it 2 years and everything electrical on it is going out. My husband has so far replaced: passenger side headlight, driver and passenger window motors, radio antenna and stock cd player. Our friends have the exact same car and so far their headlights and window motors have also quit working!

I bought my 2001 Grand Prix GTP right out of the showroom -- my first new car! Since the dreadful day I bought the car, it has been in the shop nine times -- everything from the heads-up display (constantly going out) to the alternator gearings, window motors replaced (two of them), water pump, trunk hinges leaking and many other problems.

GMAC has a fit if I am late with the payment. But I don't get it -- they have the car more than I do!

Three window motors have gone out in my 1998 Pontiac Grand Am. The air conditioning kept failing all through warranty period. The dealer couldn't find the problem. It still doesn't work and now the warranty is expired. Alternator has been replaced three times which doesn't seem reasonable. I never had these type of problems with my Corsica. I'd love to have it back even if it is old! The only thing good about this Grand Am is the looks, in my opinion.

Supposedly the window motors are $200.00 each and who knows how much the air conditioning would cost to have repaired. I can't afford to have either repaired and couldn't afford the extended warranty. I think maybe that's what they are pushing for by selling lemons!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Purchased a 1997 Pontiac Grand AM GT ... we've spent almost $3000.00 in repairs up to now. Today, water pump went out. Car is a LEMON! We've replaced all 4 fuel injectors, oxygen sensor, fuel pump, serpentine belt, power window motor, alternator all within one year's time.

12/29/01 we bought a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. 3 days later had to take it back to have driver window motor replaced. 2 weeks later had to take it back to have fuel pump sensor replaced. On 3/14/02 had to have it towed back to crown because the idler pulley exploded.

I purchased a new 1998 Chevy Astro Van, AWD in July of 1998. Since then, I have had to replace both front idler arms at only 17000 miles, (which led to the need to replace the tires from the wear of the defective idler arms), a battery, a rear hatch support hydraulic piston, a transmition cable, and 3, yes THREE, electric window on the passenger side and 2 on the driver's side. I should say I have had 2 that the vehicle is out of warrenty, GM refuses to replace the 3rd, on the driver's side...I have to pay the entire cost of that replacement myself.

Window motor on 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo -- purchased new motor from GM and the new motor also was defective.

Since owning my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, I have had to replace all of my window motors 11 timies due to burnouts. I've contacted the manufacturer and all they tell me is they're working on the problem.

GM Electric Windows Company Profile