Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am very upset that my dashboard on my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am is curled back so bad and all my vents on the dashboard are broken to where it affects my defrosters and air conditioning. It is now over 3" curled back. I understand that this is a problem for most GM car owners and do not understand why GM will not issue a recall!! My car has been great mechanically except for all 4 windows (electric) the plastic piece broke and could only replace front two because of the cost. To repair dash will be between $1,200 - $1,500 as a single parent I cannot afford. What can be done to make GM repair this defect that should be a recall?

Purchase my car in 9/2008. In 2 years before my warranty ran out my car had less than 35,000 miles. However I brought my Pontiac Solstice because I always want a 2-seater. My passenger handle pulling away from the door and unable to get in on passenger side. When I ask the dealer to honor it to no avail. They told me that car was out of warranty for the body. What happen to buy American product.

I have a 2003 Pontiac Aztek fuel leak on the gas tank, when researching recalls this problem was a recall that I never received a notice for. GM stated they would not cover it because of the mileage. This is a very dangerous situation since the fuel tank leaks on the ground. Jack Wilson Chevy in St. Augustine Fla. stated it would cost 1500.00 to fix. The Chevy dealer tried to explain how dangerous it was and that it should be covered under the Recall but GM refused.

I, unfortunately, own a 2001 Pontiac Grand am. I keep getting a track off warning light on my dash. After hours of research, I found that this is a common problem with these cars. The most common thing anyone recommends, is replacing the speed sensors. Unfortunately, the speed sensors on my car, are built into the wheel hub assembly. Depending on where you buy your parts, it costs between $300-$700 dollars just for the 4 wheel hub assemblies. I replaced them. Not a hard job, and cheaper than a shop. Still the issue exists. Then I took it to a shop, they said it was a faulty ets switch. So I replaced it. Not the problem.

Now I'm being told it could be a bad wire under the car, most likely running from the speed sensor to either a harness or directly to a cluster of wires. I've also been told it could be the abs system screwing up. Which doesn't make sense to me because I've had it scanned and they have never said a thing about the abs. Take it to a dealership, and if it doesn't tell them exactly what is wrong, they have no clue. So if this is a common problem, why don't they know how to fix it? I will never buy a GM made car ever again. Lesson learned. If you want quality, buy a Honda Civic. My 1999 Honda Civic has 283, 000 miles on it and the only I've ever had to replace is the tires and battery. Nothing mechanical.

I purchased this 06 Pontiac Torrent on July 10, 2015. The battery died on 7/11/215. The wheel bearings need replacing at 95700 miles as of July 13, 2015. Dealership 1 hr 45 min. away, they offer no help with repairs. Purchased powertrain warranty at the urgency of the dealership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

2005 Pontiac G6 GT - Engine stalled then cut off when pressing gas pedal from a stopped position at stop light. I was able to pull over to side of road and was fortunate I wasn't ran into from behind because this was during morning rush hour traffic. Car wouldn't start and message flashed was "reduced engine power" and it finally started after being broke down for over a hour. Was able to start it and drove it to car shop but it kept cutting off every time I stopped and pressed gas pedal to accelerate. Mechanic cleaned build up around throttle body but same thing happened a few weeks later and turned out, the EGR valve was bad and had to be replaced. Reportedly, there is a technical bulletin out but no recall yet. When I researched this issue online, lots of G6 owners reported similar issues. I have 150k miles on this G6 and I received several recall notices from Pontiac in the mail. I am very dissatisfied with the unreliability of this car!

Go to crank the car in the morning. Sometimes the car will try to start and then nothing. The security light flashes and won't allow the car to start. Dealer said the car needs a new ignition. I just replaced the ignition so what good would that do! There is a fault with the resistance in the wiring that is the problem. There are videos out that show how to fix it. I believe the GM companies should fix the problem being they know about it! I'm tired of getting into my car only for it not to crank and have to wait for it cycle!

My 2007 Pontiac Solstice starting transmission issues. It was determined that the issue was the same as a recall from 2008. My car only has 51000 original miles. GM refuses to repair the car. The air bag, passenger side needed repair due to a switch/battery. This was a recall in 2/2014. Again, GM refuses to repair saying it was repaired once. Obviously, neither was repaired correctly. The customer service rep. actually asked me if I was in the market for a new car... Are you kidding??? $3500 in repairs later. This is my first and LAST American made car. Never again.

I purchased a 2008 Pontiac Solstice new in 2009. The car has 22000 miles on it and has been garaged or covered when not driven most of the time since purchased. The exterior door handle on the passenger side is falling off. I recently took the car in for a recall on the ignition switch and requested that GM fix the door handle. They refuse stating that even though it has low mileage that the warranty ran out at 36000. I feel this is a safety issue - if involved in an accident there is no way to open the door from the exterior.

Also own a 2011 Chevy Avalanche which just had to have both driver and passenger door handles replaced for the same reason. I see numerous GM cars on the road every day that have their door handles duct taped on. Why is GM not owning up to these defective door handles? The door handles are part of the body of the vehicle and a very important part of the operation of the vehicle. I feel this is a huge safety issue. I am not driving a NASCAR that you enter through the window. I am driving a $34000 car that I should be able to open the door as you would any other vehicle. GM refuses to fix this rather they offer me a 10% discount off of a $190 expense. This needs to be a recall item for GM - just goes to show you what our American-made products are made of. Don't buy GM cause unless you have a wad of money in your pocket or want to drive a POS this is what you are going to get.

I bought a 2003 Pontiac Montana in 2007. The same year I have an accident which totaled it. I called my insurance to buy it back and they sold it back to me. After I fixed the side that had been hit (driver's side sliding door) it has given me 350,000 miles same engine, same transmission and still going stronger. This GM engine is strong... I just drove to Montreal Canada from Washington DC. I am looking forward to another GM since they discontinued production of my car. This is God's gift to me. Glory to His name.

I have a 2008 Pontiac G8GT that I love very much, it drives great and 4 cylinders on cruise helps the gas mileage. It's fast, quiet and comfortable. The only problem I've had is that the battery dies if it is not driven or started up at least by the 3rd day. Just got a replacement battery today (free and under warranty). I'll see how long it lasts. I've bought Pontiacs since 1979 and always had super great service from them (I have 7 Pontiac's now :). I wish they would bring them back, but if not, I will buy an Impala down the road.

The shift cable keeps coming off for no reason. What is making do this and how can i fix it?

Pontiac G6 (2008) - This car sat in garage during winter of 2014/15. When taken out last week, there was limited power steering. Dealer denies there is a problem. Reported to Transport Canada. Car is driven by a disabled lady who cannot manage manual steering.

2009 Pontiac g3 - Since date of purchase (8/7/09) to now. This list does NOT include some tires (they have been replaced every year) and does not include all oil changes, only the ones where I had other repairs done at the same time. I have changed the oil religiously when it is due from day one. It also does not include the things I opted NOT to get fixed... both front fog light brackets (plastic) that broke off while driving through water puddles (at separate times), the gas cap door that fell off in my hand, the back windshield wiper motor (dealer part $275) and whatever happens to be wrong now. Some of the repairs were done by family members, the bigger ones were done in a shop so labor is included in the price. Here it goes...

10/15/09 Ignition switch. 10/26/09 Second ignition switch. 11/2/09 Recalibrate PCM and repair 3 grounds. 1/18/10 Loose ground again, PCM recalibrated again. 1/25/10 O2 sensor #1. 2/4/10 Bank sensor and ANOTHER O2 sensor. 3/14/11 Broken belts $169. 4/7/11 Fuel injectors and power steering pump $513. 4/27/11 Duct (hose) from mass air flow to throttle body dry rotted (tried to charge me $400 until I threatened to call Mike Anderson, then they gave me a "courtesy warranty"). 6/3/11 Oil change - had to replace oil plug $50. 6/17/11 Miss on #4 cylinder... new spark plugs $242. 9/15/11 Battery tested bad (opted not to have it replaced at that time because it was not causing any problems). 2/22/12 New tires, right front wheel bearing $676.33. 5/29/12 Recall replace boot and plug. 6/18/13 Radiator hose (dealer part only) $23.65 (that was just the hose, my brother put it on).

6/28/13 Different radiator hose... again dealer part only my brother put it on.. $25.01. 7/3/13 Thermostat (dealer part again, my brother put it on) $74.34. 7/5/13 Radiator hose AGAIN $21.67. 7/6/13 Radiator $180. 2/13/14 Spark plugs (again), ignition coil, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, surface disks, exhaust repair $664.37. 2/14/14 Right front wheel bearing AGAIN $281.88. 2/18/14 Right front lower control arm $155. 3/21/14 Heater hose and tow $97. 9/24/14 Water pump, coolant, surface disk, rear brake shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, left front outer tie rod, left front wheel bearing and alignment $936.

9/26/14 Exhaust repair again $25. 10/27/14 Radiator reservoir and cap $60. 2/6/15 Four new tires, drivers wiper arm assembly (dealer part only), oil change $173. 2/12/15 Right front outer tie rod end, left front lower control arm, alignment $260. 2/17/15 Right front wheel bearing AGAIN (three times) $212. 3/11/15 Rear wheel bearings (both sides) $378.

In case you were not keeping track... that is $5218 in out of pocket repairs not including regular oil changes and tires that are not listed on here. (Over $1000 of that has been in the last three months and I STILL don't have a car to drive.)

I have a 2008 g6. And I have ignition problems, power steering pump went out- 625.00 to fix a power steering. Pump are you kidding me. This car has sooo many problems and every problem is listed on here by many others. We need to all get together and make a class action lawsuit. My number is ** call if interested. There’s no reason why we should all be going through this. Gmc is a failure to America. Maybe I should run this car up Obama’s ass since he’s the one who bailed gmc out to begin with. Anyhow a total of three thousand to fix all problems with this car. And it seems like most of you are having the same problems. Then on top of that I still owe 5000.00 on the car.

When I cut my car off and take the key out and open the door my radio stays on and I still be able to shift my gears. Plus the car doesn't read that the door is open. HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP what is the problem???

I own a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. Boy do I wish I looked at the reviews for this car (GM) Period. I've never seen so many complaints (a lot on this particular year and model) . I have experienced all the troubles as most have stated... service engine light, security Issues, dashboard worked and power windows going out. Does anybody else have problems with a Gas odor, or has it been an issue? I get a real strong gas smell Inside car, when I'm either pumping gas either engine off, or while car is running/idling for couple minutes or longer. This always makes me nervous for my children and myself!!! I always keep windows cracked, due to this issue. I have ignition trouble where I can't turn key or key will come out (still waiting on parts for recall).

Also, the gas mileage sucks! It has had a new engine and tranny overhaul. The car has never been in an accident and couldn't figure out Why I was burning through tires all the time, until I had it in the shop. The axle is actually bent off! They couldn't even tell me how it occurred! I'd really like to get out of it because I'm afraid I'm going to blow up in it one day, but can't afford another decent car right now! I Hate GM...

BTW this isn't my first GM car, nor was it the first vehicle that had problems! Everyone of them had some sort of issues!. Sad to say my Ford never gave me any issues! Why keep making vehicles you know are faulty GM? Why don't you offer help to those who complain of same issue, but you won't recall? Wish you could still go after companies for Lemon Law longer than time allowed!

2007 Pontiac G6, bought the car in 2007. In 2008 the blower fan would not work. Took the car to the dealership and because it's working they don't fix nothing.. I have a service airbag light that comes on and again because it works, when I take into the shop they don't fix it. Cruise control when approaching a hill the MPH increases about 5 mph and if you are not paying attention you could easily rear-end another car. Constant rattle in the back end of the car, it's a plate that is lose. I have had two recalls break switch and a shift cable.

Since they repaired the shift cable 1800 miles later the transmission is not working properly. Dealership says it has nothing to do with the shift cable, I say that is **.. There was nothing wrong with my transmission until they changed the shift cable... Dealership wants to charge me a fee to look at it.. I feel that the dealerships are in with the GM and do not fix issues while under warranty. We consumers are screwed...

GM has tons of cars that are crap... Many defects. I bought my car thinking I was in a safe reliable car.. I don't feel safe anymore.. I want GM to give me a new car. 118000 miles on my car, I have taken very good care of my car. I should not have problems. I feel that GM does this so we consumers pay for repairs. They make more money off from us. Never will I buy a GM again... After the engineer knew for over ten years what was going on, and he still put people in these cars, and lives were lost.. I take my car in next week to see what they say. I'm sure it will be the broom handle special...

Pontiac g6 2007 - Car only has 41000 miles. The car will not get out of park when temperatures fall below freezing.

I took my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix in for recall repairs about a month ago. I took it to John Donoghue Automotive in Whiteville, N. C. They told me they had to order parts, and would call me when they came in. Checked with them on Friday, Oct. 31, 2014, and the parts were still not in. If I have an engine fire, because they are not doing their job, where is that going to leave me? Very dissatisfied. This is ridiculous.

I own a used 2002 Pontiac Grand Am 4dr. In the last 4 months I have been having issues with the car not starting related to the security system. 9 times out of 10, I have to put the key in the ignition with it turned to on and wait for the security light to switch off before the car will start. Right at this moment I am having a problem with the key not turning at all. I was 60 miles away from home attending college classes and when I got out of class I put the key in the ignition and it would not turn at all. My son had to come and pick me up.

During the day while the car was sitting for 12 hours, I unlocked the passenger side with my key without a problem. When I got out of the car I turned the lock manually and shut the door. When I was walking away I heard the sound of all the doors locking. I did not think much about it, until I went to go home and the key would not turn. The steering wheel will not lock into position. I made sure the gear shift was in park. I sat there crying for 3 hours, until my son got there. I tried everything in the 3 hours, with no luck. I am going back there today to try a few things I found on the internet for solutions. The security system in these cars are horrible.

I have a 2009 Pontiac G5. I have had to have the power steering pump replaced. Then one morning when I got to work (40 miles from home) I parked the car and was unable to turn the key to the off position. I had to remove the office keys from the key ring to get into the building and send my boss an email telling her what was going on and drive back 40 miles to the local dealership where they replaced the ignition switch. I am unable to use the key fob to lock the doors because the alarm goes off while I am sitting at my desk. I took the car in to have that repaired along with the air bag warning light. I got the car back and within a few weeks those problems started again. Dealership wants me to pay for the repairs that were supposed to have been corrected while still under warranty.

This past winter I was on my way home and had to pull into a store parking lot (cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to do so) and have the car towed the 40 miles to the local dealership and have my daughter come and pick me up and drive me home. The car was towed to the dealership where it took a couple weeks to replace the transmission. The whole time I had to borrow a car to get back and forth to work while the car was being repaired.

Then two months ago I had a hard time turning the key in the ignition so that I could come home from work. I had to take more time off from work to take the car to the dealership again where they had my car for 7 weeks to replace the ignition switch. I have had the car back for about 3 weeks and now, I am hearing a clicking noise when I depress the brake pedal before I put it in gear. I put my hand on the gear shifter when I pressed down on the brake pedal and can feel the clicking in the gear shifter. For the amount of money that I paid for the car I should not have had as many problems as I have had with this car. I no longer feel safe driving it. It is time to trade it in and get something that I hope I can depend on but, I don't know if there is a GM car anymore that isn't a lemon or a potential death trap! Yup, I'm mad as heck and GM needs to know it.

On Memorial Day weekend 2014 the ignition went out in my 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix. Thankfully it was coming out of park, so no injuries or damage. Anyways we had it towed and sure enough it was the ignition. I looked up my car to see if it was part of the recall. At that time it was not, so I elected to have my usual shop and mechanic fix it. As it wasn't part of the recall at that time so I could choose who worked on it. My mechanic and the shop in which I take my car to is licensed and ASC certified and all that, so I didn't just take it to some fly-by-night place. Anyways, it was fixed, it costed A LOT of money. But it was fixed all was well.

Well a few weeks later, my car model and year was added to the recall. I called GM. The person I spoke with said yes, it was added and to wait for the letter from GM. Fair enough. Well, a month goes by, I hear nothing from GM and get nothing from GM. I call GM back. This Rep who is NOT in the US, confirmed it was recalled. Told me to wait for a second letter from GM. I had to tell this Rep SEVERAL times that I hadn't even gotten a FIRST letter. So once this Rep understood, they placed me on hold and tried to contact a dealer in my area to print out a reimbursement form. I was not in a place where I could write down the reference numbers and such this Rep wanted to give me. I asked if it could be emailed. The Rep said it could.

So a while later I get an email in broken English, saying no need to see a dealer, there is no remedy for this recall. Also, to confirm the recall, at the beginning of the call I provided my VIN. So this took me by surprise. So I made a huge mistake and gave GM more time to send me a letter. This letter never came. So on 8/27/14 I called GM again. Reached another OFFSHORE Rep. This experience infuriated me. This Rep proceeded to tell me at first, after providing my VIN, there was NO RECALL on my VIN. I told the Rep they were wrong on that as I was told there was. This Rep put me on hold.

Came back and said there is a recall, but not the ignition recall. I said how come some of our biggest publications said these Grand Prix were, and how come the other Rep said it was. This Rep proceeded to tell me that this is not what I was told. After going back and forth on this for a while and re-explaining what happened thus far and asking for a Rep in the US at least twice, the Rep puts me on hold again, refusing to put me on with a US Rep mind you. Comes back to the line, and asks what was the name of the dealer I took my car to. I explained again, my car WAS NOT a part of the recall when it was repaired, so I took it to my usual and trusted shop. I also repeatedly told this Rep, I have the invoice as well. Again, the Rep said my car isn't a part of the major recall. I again asked for a Rep in the US. The Rep again refused. So, needless to say, I hung up.

My grandma got a recall letter for her car that had the NTSB contact number on it to contact if GM wasn't handling the problem. I called the NTSB. I gave my VIN and told the NTSB Rep the entire story. The NTSB Rep confirmed my VIN is on that recall. The NTSB gave me the number to my state Attorney General's office. I called them and explained my situation. They are sending me the info to file a formal complaint with them. Now, I don't much like having to go through the government as I'm not sure they will follow through. So I called GM again, made it clear I have spoken with the NTSB and am in the process of working with the Attorney General.

Initially, the Rep I talked to was in the US. But this Rep had to transfer me, sure enough, I was transferred off shore again. I re-explained everything again, including my interaction with the NTSB and Attorney General. Of course, this Rep didn't know what those were. And I got told, my car is not a part of the ignition recall. I asked for a US Rep again. I got transferred to a "supervisor", off shore. I explained again. The "supervisor" asked what the NTSB was, I laughed. I explained what the NTSB was and the "supervisor" literally said that the manufacturers (GM) govern themselves.... Then the "supervisor" told me again, my car was not on that recall. But read me a description of what recall it was a part of...

The description the "supervisor" read to me was the description we have all been told since Feb when the recalls began.... Disgusted and angry I hung up. I have no choice but to hope the Attorney General's office does handle the issue and I get my money back for this. Although I won't hold my breath. I will never buy a GM product again. And I find it funny how the US Government bailed this company out, but yet they outsource jobs.... I really hope that others affected by this recall do not have the same experience as I have. But if you do, you're not alone.

I start the car and when I press the accelerator, it run very slow. What may be the reason for this? The car only has 38000 miles. I change the oil every 3000 miles and the filter. This is the first time that I have this problem. I am a woman and are ignorant about cars.

I dropped off my 2008 Pontiac Solstice for the ignition recall and for a trunk latch repair a few weeks back. I picked it up yesterday and it looked like someone had driven it through the mud. Moreover, the lock switch on the passenger side is not working and the engine is full of dead grass... not sure why? I was scarred that it would catch on fire. I know that GM is dealing with an overwhelming amount of recalls, but this was unacceptable. I was going to trade it in the same day with the same dealership, but elected to take my business elsewhere.

NO need to tell GM (they know but don't want to fix) about the failing electric window motors on their cars. Pontiac Grand Am, all four window motors have failed more than once and many other people have the same problem. HOW ABOUT RECALLING THESE MOTORS!!!? OH!!! They are using the millions of dollars that we previous GM owners spent fixing these bad electric motors to pay for the bad ignitions!!!

Pontiac grand prix - Awesome car pit 200k on it and the only issue was the window motors. Put 3500 into the car for pleasure. IE headers turbo modified chip high per brakes and it was a champ, never broke down, never had a problem till my cousin tried to stop a tree. Needless to say the tree won.

This cars had a lot of electrical safety recalls.

Hello GM owners kindly share your experience on a 2005 G6 brake actuator problem causing the shifter unable to take out of park. Solutions I've taken:
1)Twice at serramonte dealer, unable to replicate, thus unable to repair. Cost $250 each visit.
2) BAS mechanic visit, lubed with dielectric grease pin connectors. Cost $95.

3) Read different forums, most mentioned these models have rotor and brake pads issue. I bought new front rotors and pads at O'Reilly auto, cost $235. Labor free, I did it myself.

The latest is after dropping my wife at Oakland airport. Got in the car, step on the brakes and started the car. I felt the brake actuator rumbled, with the car now running, I can't get it out of park. **! Back to the same problem. Pumped the brake and finally got it out of park. This is my first GM car and I'm losing faith peeps.. Need advice.

Pontiac G6 brake light problem recall - I love how GM deals with issues when it comes to who is responsible for the cost. The G6 has numerous electrical issues: brake lights staying on and turning off when brake pedal is depressed, the radio sometimes shuts off when key is out of ignition and driver door is opened, factory remote start does not work, key fob does not work. When there was a technical service bulletin issued for the brake light issue, GM's recommended fix was for the customer to purchase a $500 BCM plus labor. Now that it is on their dime, they are adding a spacer to the connectors and die-electric greasing the connectors.

This fix was shown in a YouTube video, shows a guy greasing the connectors... GM engineers must have watched this video... Well, this fix works, for a while, then the problem returns. I have fixed this in this manner 3 times in the past year. This is not a good and reliable fix for this problem. It is only going to return. The terminal connector stampings with either cheap materials or coatings or both were made in China just so GM could save a few cents. Now look where it has gotten. Unreliable electronics in millions of cars. Shame on you GM. We, the people, should not have bailed you out... Should have let you go under because look how you deal with issues that are design and manufacturing defects. You don't properly address the root issue. You mask it so again you can save a few bucks. Again, shame on you. We used to be loyal GM people, not anymore. We are sick of being treated this way.

Pontiac Company Profile