DexCool

About DexCool

DexCool Reviews

Stars Rating

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Suburban?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Suburban?

Reviewed March 1, 2007

I bought my 2000 Buick Century used two years ago. I noticed a sluggish transmission and that my coolant indicator seemed to run a bit hot. I had the transmission problem fixed, and was told that some cars just naturally run hotter. A few months later, as summer came, my indicator was running well over halfway to hot. I opened up the hood to look at my coolant.

I was SHOCKED to find that it looked like someone dumped mud and dirt in my coolant! It was the Dexcool! I went to a garage, had most of it flushed (still before I knew about this website and the Dexcool problems), and was told I should get a whole new tank for the coolant and also was asked if I would like what they flushed out refilled with the Dexcool, because that's what GMs were supposed to have.

However, it was almost twice the price of regular coolant, so I declined. My car seems to be suddenly having problems getting heat this winter. And suddenly using up a lot more gas and oil. And every light in my instrument panel went on and stayed on when.

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2007

1996 Chev van coolant system keeps sludging-up, have had it flushed 3 times in the last year. Technicians blamed the antifreeze: Dexcool. Said it was a common problem.

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2007

I bought my 2001 potiac grandam brand new,it ran good at first then at 45,000k the tires were gone,then at 130 k dexcool has eaten my radiator,at 164k dexcool has eaten all my intake gaskets.Now at 195k dexcool has eaten my gaskets in less then a year.

Now i spent over 3500 hundred dollars and gm denies any responsibility for any of the dexcool related problems.When the dealer managers are asked about the problems they deny any knowledge of it,they sit there and bluntly lie to your face,while backin their garbage product which they call car.

I used to love gm and be a loyal costumer, now i urge anybody to buy japanese cars, those cars my cost more to repair but they dont breakedown nearly as much.

Now gm is in trouble and they try to back their cars witch a longer warranty,because their cars are crap, now if you paid attention to your custumers and the quality of your product there would not be a need for longer warranties. thanks a lot gm for your crapy service and your crapy car.

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2007

My 1996 Lumina developed a problem with the air conditioner. I had the problem fixed, but, it continued to stop working. Then I noticed that the container that held the overflow of antifreeze was starting to get murky and dirty. I had the radiator flushed, but, within a few months I stated to have the same problem. Then I started to notice that the antifreeze level continued to be low.

I would put more in and in a couple of days it would be low again. I did not see any leaking on the ground, I could not figure out where it was going. I took the car to the Chevy dealer and was told that the antifreeze was mixing with my engine oil. The head gasket was going and the water pump was starting to leak. I would need the top part of my engine done.

They said the bottom could also go. I was heart broken to have to trade the car in. It only had 86,000 miles on it. I used the coolant that was recommmened by Chevy and the owner manual. I could not figure out what had happened because I took very good care of maintaining this car. I was shocked to see all the people who have had this same problem. What can be done about this?

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2007

in nov. 2000 traded in 97' pont. grand am, I loved that car, great gas mileage,5 speed tran.super fun car to drive. had about 75,000 miles not one single problem.

Traded up to grand prix ,brand new 01, then last year with about 85,000 miles ,low coolant light comes on so i pull over check overflow tank added enought water to bring level to the line no more problems.

Six months later car over heats ,take to my tusted mechanic tells me looking at replaceing intake manaflod gasgket,ouch!! $700.00 later. still did not have clue about dexcool. Everything good, until last same old story, car ovef heats, leaves me stranded 15 miles out of town, have way to work.oh bye the way it's winter here in a.k.sub zero temps. have car towed to my mechanic,all he said washow much do you like this littlr ride well best part of whole thing is I have payments togo and the repairs are likly to be twice what i owe on the car.

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2007

The intake manifold gasket on my 2003 Chevrolet Impala blew and water leaked into the engine. There was a sludge that appeared in my oil line when oil was changed. I routinely have my oil changed and the sludge was never noticed.

This intake manifold gasket is a huge problem with these cars and General Motors issued a TSB Bulletin in 2001 claiming the problem. Yet, they put out 2 more years worth of cars with the same gasket before fixing it in May of 2004.

Davidson Chevrolet in Malden Massachusetts and their service manager Bob Knox claimed that because I had never taken it to a GM dealer for any type of servicing, they were not responsible. This issue goes further than Davidson Chevrolet and should also be directed toward General Motors. The federal government should have forced them to recall all models where the intake gasket was defective because of the Dexcoolant antifreeze used.

The Dexcoolant apparently eats away the gasket, General Motors knew this, yet continued to run Dexcoolant through their lines. General Motors took no responsibility for this problem anyone who has purchased their vehicles will have these same problems.

I paid 1600 dollars to fix a problem that never should have occurred. I will never buy a GM car again and it is pretty clear why their business is in a landslide.

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2007

On February 13, 2007 I contacted General Motors about my rear manifold gasket leak. Since I read many articles about this leak being a common problem, I thought they would offer to pay all or part of the repair. I was assigned Service Request No. 710482357115.

It was implied that my car, a 98 Buick Century Custom with 80,000 miles, was too old for them to do anything about it. Armando suggested I take the car to Royal Buick in Tucson (a round trip drive of 80 miles) and perhaps they would be willing to do something. I went there and they would do nothing financially to help with the repair but offered to do the repair for $870.

I ended up taking it to an independent auto service company for repair which cost $698, at a savings of $172 over the dealership. In September of 2005, I had to have my water pump replaced because the Dex-Cool coolant had turned to sludge. I am very disappointed in GM for not helping the consumer with either of these problem and will never buy another GM car due to my experience.

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2007

2004 Pontiac Bonneville, 48k miles. I took it in for service and was informed that my intake manifold and other hoses were eaten through and starting to leak.The dealership informed me that this was a common problem w/ cars with this anti-freeze. They wanted $760 to fix the problem. I argued that they (the dealership or GM) were the ones who put this product in my car and that they should fix it.

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2007

Recently, we noticed while our 2002 Chevy Venture was idling the temp would increase to about 225 degrees. This vehicle was purchased used and I am unsure of any previous engine work on this vehicle. The vehicle haas 66k miles. Concerned, I reviewed the cooling system. I found the water pump was leaking out of the weep hole and proactivly I replaced it along with the thermostat and serpentine belt.

I replaced the antifreeze with Prestone's Exteneded Life for use with all coolants, (Can be mixed with Dexcool). A couple of weeks following this maintenance and as the overnight temperature around Tampa dropped to the 30's I began to see coolant leaking on the garage floor in the morning. I found the coolant leaking from the lower intake manifold bolts. The number 4 bolt (front, right most, next to the temperature sensor) was so loose I could turn it with my fingers.

I had suspected this was casued by a poor job maintaining the upper half of the enginer by a previos mechanic for the previous owner. I removed the upper intake manifold and secured all the lower intake bolts. The vehicle still climbs to 225 degrees when idling at the dunkin donuts drive through, considering all the components that have been replaced and the research I found on-line, I belive this is normal. I will keep a vigilant eye on the intake manifold to see when it finally fails.

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2007

I own a 2001 Saturn and like most the manual specifies Dex-Cool Coolant/Antifreeze. In the past month I've had a leak in the intake manifold AND the water pump. They now have products you can use in any make/model of a car so I will be using that from now on. It's disturbing from a consumer's point of view that they would market this product and continue to market it even after all the problems.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2007

The intake manifold gasket on my 2000 Cadillac Escalde failed. No more GM products for me.

Reviewed Feb. 18, 2007

I own a 1998 Lumina. I received a class action letter in the mail concerning the Dex-Cool in GM products. I have had problems with my car in the last two years. The anti-freeze in my car kept leaking, the check engine was also staying on. Had the anti-freeze problem fixed and the check engine light is still on and my mechanic doesnt seem to know why. About a month or so ago I have noticed it has started leaking again.

I have to find my papers to know what the cost was. But I was out of a vehicle for several days while it was being fixed. And being a single mom my car is very important.

Reviewed Feb. 18, 2007

We have a 2000 Pontiac Montana with 56,895 miles on the odometer as of February 18, 2007. We like the styling and functionality of our Montana, but it seems there is a defect in the coolant system that is very troubling.

Coolant was recently found leaking onto our garage floor. A serious danger to our pets and the environment, we took our van to a certified GM repair shop to correct the leak. We were informed that the repair would cost over $1,000 and will reappear in a few years due to the type of coolant specified by General Motors, Dexcool.

The Owner's Manual specifically states that coolants other than GM Dexcool will cause premature damage and corrosion to the engine, heater core and radiator. In addition, the warranty will be voided. We are now faced with the constant monitoring of our coolant levels and leakage control for the safety of our pets and the environment. However the greatest personal grievance is that we cannot be certain that our favorite family vehicle will fail us on a summer vacation far from home.

We face a reoccurring cost to repair our leaking coolant system for the life of the vehicle and the knowledge that should we sell the vehicle, we are passing the problem on to the next owner. In the near future, we will no longer require a full size van and expect to purchase a smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicle. We intend to trade our low mileage Montana, which is in excellent condition for a new vehicle, possibly the Pontiac Vibe.

How will General Motors evaluate a great vehicle with a Dexcool coolant system, and why should I buy another GM vehicle that also uses Dexcool? We look forward to any response from General Motors and Consumer Affairs on this matter.

Thank you.

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2007

With slightly more than 47,000 miles, on our 2001 Pontiac Montana, we needed to replace the manifold intake gasket and the head gasket. GM refuses to accept any responsibilty for the problem, claiming simply that the vehicle was out of warranty. While that position is understandable, it isn't acceptable when they are aware that their vehicles are know for these two issues.

$1,500 cost with no assistance from GM.

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2007

I own a 2003 Malibu that I maintain according to owner's manual. I'm still paying on the car. It only has 43k miles on it and now I am repairing the intact manifold gaskets that are causing the antifreeze to mix into my oil. major repair to the tune of $770....so far. I called GM because the mechanic told me that Dex Cool caused the problem and I was told to keep using dexcool.. BS.

I paid for the shop to flush out my radiator and refill it with regular antifreeze. They told me that's what they do with ALL the GM cars that come in with the same problem. He told me I was lucky I caught the problem early before I have major engine damage. My advice to you all is keep complaining to GM, keep writing letters and STOP USING DEXCOOL!

They aren't going to honor your warrantee either way. GM was unresponsive to my complaints. this is the last GM car I buy and I have always bought GM. way to go GM! no wonder you're losing profits every year!

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2007

Recently my 2003 Pontiac Aztek began to run hot -- just over 100k. I took it to my mechanic. He told me the problem was coolant Dexcool, and that it had deteriorated the Intake Manifold Gasket, which would need to be replaced -- at a cost of 500+ dollars.

Later in the week, the car ran hot again. Mechanic replaced thermostat at no additional charge. Two days later it ran hot again. This time they suggested I should consider having the Head Gasket replaced at a cost of $1,500+ or do a Steel Seal Head Gasket for $200. We did the Steel Seal; and a day later it ran hot again. Today I took my car to another mechanic who is qualified to change head gaskets.

They will evaluate the car next week, but he did tell me that a new head gasket would cost a minimum of $1,200. I've read all the comments from GM owners and similarities between most of their problems and mine are virtually the same...

I will be more than happy to talk to anyone about a Class Action lawsuit. It is time for GM to step up and take responsibility for selling many, many people very expensive products that are clearly inferior in quality.

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2007

I have been having a problem with my coolant and oil constantly mixing together. This has been ongoing for a couple of years now. I took the car to the dealer and they wanted $1700 to replace the lower manifold gasket. I took it to someone else and had this replaced for half the price but I am still having the same problems and the people that fixed my car said that it is the engines that GM uses in all of their cars that causes these problems and they will always be on going.

I have had the coolant flushed several times and this does no good.

The low coolant times stays on in my car regardless of how much coolant is in the tank. I have to constantly pay someone to check the car out to make sure that it is ok to drive with the light constantly on.

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2007

I am facing a 2000.00 bill for repairs to gaskets due to the use of dex-cool. I am on disability and 2000.00 is out of reach for me.I will never buy a GM product again.

I am without a car !!

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2007

I own a 2005 Equinox with 21,000mi. I returned home on 2/9/07 when the cabin filled with the awful odor of antifreeze. I pulled into the garage and the coolant spilled all over the floor. I assumed the water pump was faulty, the local Chevy dealer said it was a faulty head gasket. DexCool is the most likely of culprits. Now I am left with the uncertainty of when the next cooling system part will fail. Will it be on a trip, highway, at night? The dealership said that using a different coolant would void the warranty. I may now sell the vehicle that I have been very happy with due to poor engineering and lack of GM concern.

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2007

Took Buick in with 65000 miles because heater stopped working and coolant light on caused car to stall. Took to this dealer for service and paid over $500 to fix...was promised it was the intake manifold which was replaced and fixed and drove it 3 miles and broke down again with exact same symptoms. Dealer towed back to their garage; didn't look at it for 3 days...when I enquired they said they would get it checked that morning and called back 1 hour later saying head gasket blew and would be additional $734.00.

Felt unfair to pay as this was same problem I took it in for and obviously they didn't test drive to mke sure it fnctioned properly of it would have broken down on them. Tried to mediate with them, both alone and through GM customer service, which up to this point has been unsuccessful...I get the run around from everyone...including customer service. Feel like service dept. misdaignosed problem and now is trying to charge me more to cover...they told me one thing on why they couldn't find the origin of the problem (head gasket) and then GM customer service another....

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2007

I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu that I was just told would cost me close to $1000 to fix because the lower radiator gasket needs to be replaced. I was wondering why it needed to be replace so soon being as how my car is only about 4 years old. I thought it was very odd.

So...I typed in my question on Google as to why it costs $1000 to fix a lower radiator gasket. I came to this information that says that the Dexcool coolant in G.M vehicles causes the aluminum and gaskets to corrode.

Is this some kind of plan by G.M. to raise some quick cash because of it's failing business? It seems to me that G.M. would know before they used Dexcool in cars what it damage it would cause to the aluminum, gaskets, and other parts of the car.

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2007

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme sl and it has 127,000 miles on it and i notice that it was steaming from underneath the hood. Took it to a mechanic and they said it was a intake manifold leak. So a week later I went to check my oil and it was all muddy. Now i am only 17 and i cant afford all of these repairs because of GM's negligence to fix their problems with there cars.

Now when i was driving to get it fixed at my autoshop at school it hydrolocked because of the water getting into the oil. I damaged the whole engine now and it runs like crap. It overheat also. GM is not a good company as we all see, and i have spent 2 months, 1.5 hours working on my car for no reason and like 300 dollars for no reason because of my engine is gone. GM needs to be dealt with and all of you guys out there with GM veichles, dont ever by another one until GM recognizes their problems and fixes it.

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2007

Like many before me as I now learn. zi bought a 2002 Malibu with DexCool as the coolant. It has now damaged my enginge.

Dexcool mixed with oil after intake manifold gasket had been eaten away. It has also done significant engine damage. GM is denying the problem when I called but are aware of consumer complaints.

Reviewed Feb. 10, 2007

I purchased a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix in 2003 and after only 39,000 miles on it, the manifold intake gasket was leaking and needed replaced. After searching on line I come to find out that Pontiac GMC has had hundreds of complaints on the same malfunctioning gasket and are well aware of the problems that their loyal customers are having, however, have done nothing to correct the problem.

I just spent $665.00 on my car repairs yesterday and was told that I would be back because the manufacturer's gaskets are still the plastic ones that keep malfunctioning !

I would like Pontiac GMC to do take notice and either improve their gaskets or reimburse their customers such as myself. I love my car, however, will be ridding myself of it within the next couple years becasue of this reoccurring problem.

Reviewed Feb. 9, 2007

I've had Dexcool leaking from my car for about a year now. No one could find a leak but reading this forum helped me understand why it was leaking. I won't buy a GM car again. I am buying foreign Honda, Toyota, etc. I tried to buy American but the cars are junk and the companys won't stand behind them. If they won't stand behind me why should I stand behind them??!!

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2007

I have had to replace the engine in my 1996 Chevy Lumina 2 times and it's now in the shop a 3rd time all due to the engine coolant. The first time the car had 84,000 miles on it, the second time at 161.000 and now again at 180.000. All 3 times I have been told that the coolant eats through the intake gaskets, which in turn hurts the bearing's. The first time it cost me $2,710.02 the second time it cost $2,828.00 I haven't gotten a totally on what this 3rd repair will cost me bacause it is still in the shop. I also have had towing charges. I have read hundreds of complains from other's that have experienced the same problems.

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2007

I had the radiator flushed in my 1998 Monte Carlo about a year ago, thats when my check engine light started to come on. In North Carolina a new rule was passed that you cannot pass inspection with that light on.

So I go to see what the problem is. And I find out that my coolant is leaking through the exhaust manifold!!! Then I really start having the problems. My low coolant light starts coming on, so I fill the radiator through the overfill tank according to my GM booklet. Next thing you know about a week later my car starts running hot. Now I'm thinking what in the world. I just put coolant in the car about 2 weeks ago.

This stuff must be really leaking out of the intake manifold faster now. Then on the way to work the car has reached the hottest point so I have no option but to pull over and catch a ride to work! I am very upset.

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2007

I recently got word that my car wasn't going to pass inspection. come to find out my coolant was leaking through the intake manifold and i have a sneaking suspision after reading the reviews that Dexcool was the problem.

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2007

I have a 2001 Malibu, and had the same problems with the Dex-Cool. I've spent almost $700.00 just replacing the intake manifold gaskets that had been eaten by the Dex-Cool. My mechanic (who is ASC certified), found a solution. He flushed out the Dex-Cool and replaced it with the old-style green antifreeze. The only other problem that Im having now is that my fans are running constantly.

Reviewed Feb. 6, 2007

James W Saint Paul MN (02/06/07)

I purchased my 1999 Buick Century new on 3/29/1999. At 48,284 miles I had the coolent flushed as PM measure since I wanted to keep the vehicle for awhile. At 79,811 miles I was having additional PM service (LOF, tire rotation, brake line flush and transmission flush).

I was told by the mechanics that the intake manifold gasket was deteriorating and needed replacement. I was also told that this is common with GM vehicles so I did some research and sure enough the Dex-Cool 'problem' was all over the internet. I contacted GM and was told that this was a 'cost of owenership' item. At 80,900 miles I had the gasket replaced.

At 83,000 miles I had to replace the waterpump and serpentine belt (second time). I was also having air conditioner problems (low cooling) toward the end of the last season. It looks like this will need to be fixed in the spring.

I have taken care of this vehicle, which has served me well, but after reading the growing list of complaints I'm afraid that the ongoing maintenance costs associated with this vehicle are only going to get worse and I 'm ready to bail out. I'm also sure that the 'trade-in' value is next to worthless at this time because our friendly GM 'dealers' know all to well about this problem - But they would surely put me into another one. Hello Honda.

Reviewed Feb. 6, 2007

If you use or know anybody who uses DEXCOOL antifreeze (it is an orange or red antifreeze) in the radiator of their vehicle, please tell them to stop using it and go and get their radiator flushed and refilled with any green antifreeze.

Over the weekend because of a mistake my son made in adding antifreeze to my resevoir, I found out by my mechanic that I should not have, nor should anybody, be using DEXCOOL in their radiators even if their manuals tell them to use this (as my manual told me to use it). Apparently this antifreeze is not perfected, but they want you to use it because it is biodegradeable and non-toxic; however, it gums up the engine and slowly oxidizes your engine parts (including your gas tank) to where in a few years you will need to either buy a new vehicle or engine.

I should have determined a while ago that something was wrong because over the past year, I have slowly been losing gas mileage on my car. I am now at a point to where water has been getting into my oil pan and my oil pan gaskets and a few parts have to be replaced and the entire oil area on my vehicle needs to be cleaned out at a tune of $400.

I will then need to have my radiator flushed and refilled at a tune of $80. My mechanic showed me the damage to my oil pan and oil cap that has already been done, and I am telling you it was not a pretty sight either by looking at it or for my wallet. So please if you use this DEXCOOL or know anybody who uses it, please tell them my story and ask them to get their radiators flushed.

Reviewed Feb. 6, 2007

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. It has 21,900 miles on it. I opened up my hood and checked the my oil, and coolant level. Well to my surprise, when I opened up my radiator, I saw small amounts of Sludge built arround the radiator cap, and along the radiator fluid housing unit. I called Manufacturer, and they stated that it was normal. My car has Dex- Cool Coolant. I read the horror stories about this coolant and I wanted know should I flush entire system and get a different brand of coolant, or should I stay with the same coolant. Please help, I'm trying to avoid a costly repair.

Reviewed Feb. 5, 2007

Brought my 2001 Olds Silhouette in for a coolant leak. I was informed by the service rep at Walser chevy in Plymouth Minnesota that it was the intake gasket. It had failed and coolant had mixed with my engine oil. They want $1846.00 to fix the gasket. I called a friend to tell him about how much they wanted! He started laughing because he just fixed his (Pontiac) same engine same year. He did his himself and it cost $98.00 and 10 hours of work. I have owned chevy's my whole life. I am angry that GMC is not standing by their mistake in this motor. Where is your loyalty?

Trying to come up with this kind of money to fix an engineers obvious mistake is heart breaking. I am angry with your American proud commercials and your dishonorable service!

Reviewed Feb. 5, 2007

I guess I'm now one of the people that have had their GM truck distroyed by DEX-COOL. Manifold gasket at 58k miles on my 1999 GMC Sierra 2500, $900. (Who ever has heard of a factury Manifold gaskit failing on a every day driver with low miles.) I'm a little concerned when my mechanic tells me all the problems people are having with this product, and this is the first I've heard of it. Will some of you please start contacting the press and get this out to the public. This is a disaster. No wonder Toyota is going to pass GM in sales.

As soon as my truck is fixed, I guess I'v got to dump it.

Reviewed Feb. 5, 2007

Own an '03 Montana and a '98 Grand Prix. The Montana has already had the intake gasket replaced because of the DEXCOOL issue, and now the Grand Prix is demonstrating the same symptoms that the Montana did prior to its demise. When will GM own up to this and fix their problems?!?

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2007

My 2000 GMC Jimmy V-6 4.3L was at the mechanic for a 60,000 mile service 7/22/05 at which the mechanic informed me the truck needed a back flush of the cooling system & would have to add 2 gallons of Dex-Cool .I o.k.d the service to be done as we were moving out of state & no longer would he be servicing my truck.

One year later in the state of Missouri, the truck over heated & I brought it in to be looked at on 7/28/06 & was told the anti-freeze had become sludge I wondered how & why this could happen as it was just flushed a year sooner in Illinois, I called my mechanic in Illinois & he told me GM owners were having issues with vehicles that were factory installed with Dex-Cool & said unfortunatly this problem will continue for the life of my vehicle.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2007

I first noticed that I was not getting any heat. The fan was blowing cold air. A few minutes later I noticed the engine temperature gage was abnormally high. I checked the coolant level and it was very low. I replaced the lost coolant. Heat returned and engine temp was normal. Garage discovered leaking water pump and it was replaced. 3 weeks later the no heat, high engine temp symptoms returned. Garage discovered coolant leaking from the intake manifold gasket. Upon its replacement, garage also discovered breach of gasket to oil passage.

Dexcool was discovered in the oil. Garage replaced contaminated oil and oil filter. Dexcool replaced with universal coolant. Now coolant leaks have at least temporarily been stopped and oil is contaminant free. BUT, I have abnormally low oil pressure. Garage replaced oil sending unit. Dashboard gage reads a little higher but the actual oil pressure is still abnormally low as verified by an independent gage. Instead of the normal 5o psi it reads 15 psi at 1500 rpm. At idle the oil pressure drops to zero.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2007

What was I thinking?

Back when I first got married about five years ago I bought a used 1999 Buick Lesabre and then talked my wife into buying a new 2002 Buick Rendezvous. After sinking nearly 2000 dollars in repair bills to twice fix intake manifold problems in the Lesabre I finally dumped the car and bought a new Honda Accord. Well guess what? This week my wife's rendezvous started leaking coolant on the garage floor.

Took it to a trusty local mechanic and the diagnosis was the lower intake manifold was leaking. He didn't even have to tell me. I already knew the problem. We are going to bite the bullet and dump this car too.

I will never buy GM again in my life and will tell everybody whenever the conversation about cars comes up to never buy GM products. How can anybody support a company who allows so many people to get the shaft and have to pay thousands of dollars for their mistakes. I know their is a class action suit in Canada. Does anybody know of one happening in the USA?

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2007

I have been made aware that my 2005 GMC Sierra is leaking coolant/oil. This calls for the replacement of the lower intake gasket. This truck only has 47,000 miles on it. I was told by the auto repair shop to check for a recall because this is a known defect of this model truck. He has seen alot of them. There is no recall that I can find. I feel that this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2007

I had a massive coolant leak coming from the intake manifold area underneath the air conditioner compressor mount. I would fill up my system with a 50/50 mix of water and Dex-cool antifreeze and my system would be empty after driving about 1 mile.

When I looked at the inside of my radiator (only as far as my eye can see into it) I noticed what appeared to be a substance that looked like brown sugar crystals all over the inside parts of the radiator. I also saw this stuff embedded all over the inside of the radiator cap and in my overflow tank. My 1998 Chevy Blazer only had about 100,000 miles when I made this discovery. The Dex-cool is supposed to be good until 150,000 miles. I live alone, pay rent, child support, my son's tuition, have to eat, and need my car to get to work. I felt like an old man face with do I eat or pay for prescription medications?

I ended up paying about $475.00 to fix the problem and my mechanic told me that he put the green antifreeze into the system. I asked him why? He told me he could have put in the Dex-cool and just add it to my bill but he told me if I continue to use the Dex-cool I WILL LOOSE MY CAR. I have had in the past: a 1977 Buick Regal V6, 1983 Buick Skyhawk 4cyl., 1981 Subaru 1800GL 4cyl-boxer, 1985 Ford Thunderbird 5.0 V8, and a 1986 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 V6 and drove that one past 275,000 miles(including 6 trips to Florida from New York).

The only one that leaked antifreeze was the 1985 Thunderbird and that was only because I had to replace a $13.00 heater hose and I did the work myself and only took me about 15 minutes with a razor blade and one screwdriver.

They ALL used the green antifreeze.

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2007

I have replaced the water pump, heater core, radiator and head gaskets. What's next?

financial burden and insecurity of driving down the street.

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2007

I have a '98 Chevy Venture. It's been garage kept since day one and the only things I've changed are brakes, oil, shocks and filters. Now, it has 88k miles and DexCool in the oil pan. It's also leaking DexCool in the area of the thermostat. How terribly disappointing. We were so worried about the chassis and body and felt great about keeping it in the garage since we bought it...only to find out the engine was built with bad gaskets and is now dieing from the inside out.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2007

I have a 1997 GMC Sonoma with 65,000 miles on it. Just Thursday night my Check Guages light came on after my Check Engine light had been on even after an oil change. The engine was heating up and nearly in the red. When I opened the hood to add water I discovered this gross reddish brown slude built up on the radiator cap and all over the coils of the radiator.

We took it to a mechanic to have the radiator flushed, cleaned and neutralized so that it could be filled with green anti-freeze. We have to take it back in a month to do this all over again. This is expensive and we do not know if any other engine parts have sustained damage. We have a 2007 Chevy Impala and are wondering if we should take action now to preserve the life of its engine. I may never buy another GM product if they don't clean up their act.