DexCool

1.5/5 (78 reviews)

Overall Rating1.5 out of 5

About DexCool

DexCool Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Suburban?
Original review: Jan. 16, 2009

Dex-cool. Its killing me. Gm blows. Why were we not informed!!!! Buy another Gm product never!!!!! Toyota I also have a 4 runner 60,000miles no worries drives like new. 60,000 miles on a chev. malibu GM & dex cool know something is wrong but no recall. %$@!!# them I am going to call the Arkansas attorney general. This is !##$$@#@$!!!! no wonder GM is going broke and japanese motor companies are m aking the money. American made stinks. $1000 dollars to repair there mistake!!!!! Call your attorney general.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2009

I own a GM truck that recently blew the intake gaskets as a result of the DEXCOOL antifreeze put into it.Upon getting it repaired, the mechanic informed me that GM will re-emburst me because of a lawsuit they lost.Please send me information on this Lawsuit and how I apply for compensation. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2009

I HAVE FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM CAUSING MY POOR VEHICLES DISEASE! Driving down the road one day I noticed that my engine was getting close to over-heating. I made it to a local repair shop where I was told to leave it and they would call me soon to tell me what was wrong. Naturally I figured it was something small like my fan not kicking in or a heat sensor was acting up. I COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG. The mechanic said you have anti-freeze in your oil and a cracked head-gasket! With no real explanation of what caused this I had no choice but to purchase a new engine for my car cause I was told it's only a matter of time before it blows. Three thousand dollars later for the new/used engine I wanted to kill someone! being the law biding citizen that I am that was not an option. I just today was told the story of dex-cool and gm and wanted to jump for joy! I had finally found my answer.... Now to sue those responsible. class action already filed?? calss action already settled?? too late?? The saddest part is today i just discovered the anti-freeze i just filled my new engine with is death-cool. This has to be solved! what type of world do we live in when people are not resposible for their faulty products? I am a paramedic and if I mess up at work people will die. To bad everyone isn't held to the same standards. I am 24, married and with one on the way. I want my money back. frankly i need my money back. I would love to look a dex-cool general motors rep in the eyes and see if there is a man behind the boy like product these crooks sell. I was raised on the beleif that you were accountable for what you did... I guess not all of us were. I was lectured about the golden rule... I guess some skipped that chapter. And most importantly i was told two wrongs don't make a right.. Well twohundred thousand damaged vehicle and stranded owners dosen't either. MAKE THIS RIGHT! RIGHT NOW

Original review: Jan. 16, 2009

I had to have my intake manifold gasket replaced in a 2001 Impala with 3.4 L V6. Less than 75K miles. Fortunately it was under extended warranty.

A service shop discovered the leak when I took my car in for coolant flush. The owners manual says 100K miles so I was ahead of schedule. The shop said the radiator was filled with sludge and pointed out the manifold leak. They said the coolant should be flushed at around 50K and not to believe what the owners manual says. I had to pay extra for the coolant flush because it required more time and more coolant than normal to do the job. Other than this, my system doesn't leak and I now have about 190K miles. Since the first flush, I now have the coolant flushed around every 50K miles. I have not noticed any leaks and even the intake manifold gasket seems to be fine.
Original review: Jan. 15, 2009

This is an addition to something that I have already submitted. You will see that I am listed in the complaints section on your site. Maybe you can edit this as you see fit .. remove this top stuff and just add this next part.

My problem was with the Dexcool coolant that I used in an engine .. the radiator is now filled with a brown thick sludge, the heater core in the truck is now clogged and very little heat flows from it .. it was fun this morning at -35C driving my daughter to school !!! On the way home I stopped to get some gas and after leaving heard a tick in the valvetrain of the motor and a quick glance at the oil pressure showed none. I checked the oil and it had coolant in it. This crap has dirtied my new custom radiator, clogged my heater, and now has eaten its way into my motor. The tick is from a failed oil pump, who knows if this is a coolant problem or not but being that the coolant is mixing with the oil it is possible. Also it has only been a few months now since the truck has been on the road so you can see how fast this has progressed. The motor now has to be removed, completely disassembled, repaired, and re-installed. I called GM to let them know what their product was doing to my truck and they told me that because the motor was from an older vehicle that I would have to call the vintage department and of course when I called them they told me to call the corporate office .. and so on and so on.
Original review: Jan. 14, 2009

we have a 1996 Chevrolet Blazer and all we have had is trouble with it.Know we happened to find out about the antifreeze that GM used in it has been the whole problem!!! we have replaced the water pump and radiator too times and know that antifreeze.has caused the gaskets and intake heator core to rustto the point that we just decided to park the piece of junk made by CHEVROLET and buy a ford.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2009

I bought a 2001 S-10 pick-up new and was told the anti-freeze did not need sevice fot 100,000 miles. I changed the anti-freeze at 38,000 miles. Recently I noticed Anti-freeze leaking around the intake manifold.I repaired the leak at the cost of $1000.00,and was told it might happen again. Also I was informed the class-action lawsuit was settled on 10/27/08. Is this true and is there any chance of another suit. It would be nice to recover a little of the expenses.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2009

My lower intake manifold leaks. I was told this by a tech at a Valvoline Instant oil change. I am adding dex-cool every other week if not more often. I took the car to a local mechanic & he said I needed the water pump. This was replaced several months ago. I was not aware of the law suit, not notified by GM, even though I am the original owner. I have a 2000 Alero. I don't think the claim deadline is at all reasonable for people who did not know about it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2009

Dexcool. Should have been name Deathcool

Original review: Jan. 9, 2009

I bought a 2003 Buick Century in December of 2006. I did not know any of the class action law suits about Dex-cool coolant and GM until now January of 2009 when I got an oil change and was told my lower intake gasket was leaking. I started seaching the web about my gasket leak and found out it has been a problem with the 3.1L and 3.4L gm engines. I can't belive that the gaskets are plastic, heat alone will eventually melt them (common sense).I would like to know why there was no comunication about this to me being a owner of a gm vehicle that would qualify if I had only known 3 months ago. I only have 51,000 miles on this car.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2009

I have a 2001 v6 Checy Lumina that requires the coolant dexcool non mix for my cars engine. Over the period of time I have had my vehicle brown sludge has formed in the coolant system and the intake manifold is leaking from the top and I am told I need a new water pump. I ws just informed today by my car repair specialist that there was a class action law suit for this brand of collant. But I looked up the website for it and the litigation process seem to has expired. What can I do to get satisfaction for my car repairs now?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2009

I purchased a 2006 Chevy Equinox from Don McCue Chevrolet. I found out it needed a head gasket replaced but when mechanics got into engine, they found damge that could onlyhave come from a defective mold or as a result of damage from Dex-Cool. I had three mecchanics view and all said this was not from normal wear and tear. This was a properly maintained vehicle but I was over the mileage, it is a 2006 with 68,000.00 miles (I have 6 children). I took pictures on the advise of two mechanics into the dealership that sold me the car, they said they could do nothing since my mileage was over the warranty. This was defective and Dex Cool is supposed to hold up for 150,000 miles. I did a search on the internet and it seems this is a common problem for this car, is there anything that can be done about this?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2009

Upon doing my regular oil change my mechanic found my intake gasket is leaking and oil is mixing with coolant. I have a 3.4 liter V-6 engine on my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. I did not hear anything about the Dexcool class action lawsuit and settlement until now, and it is past the deadline to make a claim. My car is under 60,000 miles so this should not have happened.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2009

I noticed anti-freeze leaking out of my 98 Grand Am GT. I thought it was the raditor, so I took it to a local raditor shop who soaked me for $256.00 for a brand new raditor. I thought problem fixed right. No anti-freeze still leaking out. I took the car to a auto macanic to be looked at. They took me because of the Dexcol anti-freeze I was useing caused two leaks in the engine. I had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and alot of other parts. Costing me $1,280.88 to be exact.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2009

My 1997 Buick Park Avenue had an engine failure due to the intake manifold leaking coolant into the cyllinders. My mechanic told me it was caused by Dexron coolant eating away part of the mainfold, causing the coolant to leak into the piston cyllinders. My mechanic flushed the cooling system and replaced it with Zerex G-05 coolant. He stated it was the best coolant made. Being a bit skeptical because Zerex G-05 is normally not recommended for General Motors porducts, I called Zerex's home Ofice and they assured me that Zerex had nothing that would harm my car. My mechanic stated that the Dexron coolant caused the failure, as it has in many other General Motors products. He runs a privately owned garage and has the best reputation of any garage in Mariposa County.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2009

My 1997 Blazer has a intake manifold gasket leak from the dex cool eat it. I flush my raddiator out reguly it still is brown and dirty looking. My water pump leaked from it and had to be replaced from it. My truck smell bad from it all the time

Original review: Jan. 5, 2009

I found rusty spots on the driveway and this morning I looked and found nothing but muddy water in the cooling system. Seems I was also never contacted about the class action.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

At less than 60,000 miles, developed coolant leak. Was told that the intake manifold gasket on my 2000 Chevy Venture was leaking, and that these vehicles had a history of this problem. After $1300 in repairs, had a low coolant light come on 4 months and less than 5,000 miles later, only to find reservoir full. Found out that the coolant system was all plugged up, needed flushed and cleaned out, and was then told the head gasket needed replaced. $1900 later, and after seeing this site, I'm wondering how long it will be before I have another repair bill. I contacted GM and they told me that it was due to the age of my vehicle, even though I only had 60,000 miles on it. They never mentioned the fact that they had already settled one class action lawsuit over the Dexcool issue, and refused to help one iota. This will be the last GM vehicle I ever buy. Their failure to own up to this fiasco and notify ALL owners of these vehicles of the problems with this coolant is deceitful and dishonest. How many people are going to have to tell their story on this website before GM finally steps up and admits to their mistake?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2008

I join the ever expanding list of people who have had to perform expensive repairs on their vehicles due to the Dex-Cool antifreeze. Our 1997 Tahoe and now our 2001 Venture Van.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2008

DexCool has ruined the intake gasket in my 1996 Monte Carlo. GM never notified us of anything possibly being wrong and now it's going to cost well over $1000 to get the gaskets replaced and everything fixed. The car is still driveable but who knows for how long and as I cannot afford to replace or fix it at this time, I will just have to drive it until it dies. I seriously feel GM should have sent us all notification when they knew there was a problem with the coolant and the gaskets

Original review: Dec. 21, 2008

I bought a nice looking 1999 buick century in may of 2008, I liked how well the car runs and especially the great gas mileage. I did not know about the problems GM was having or else I would not have bought anything unless it had the 3.8 liter engine. One late evening in late october, the low coolant light came on. It had been raining that day and I thought that water might have got low coolant switch wet. The light went out for a few miles but came back on. I kept a close watch of the temperature gauge and it did not show above normal. I stopped by autozone and bought a gallon of 50/50 mix of dexcool and water. I put about 3/4 gallon in the radiator and put the rest in the reservoir. I cleaned brown slimy gunk from the radiator filler neck. I could not find any leaks and checked the oil to make sure no antifreeze got in there. I thought that maybe it was low when we bought the car and it had dropped just enough to make the light come on. All seemed fine until december 11 08. The low coolant light came on again, I just somehow knew this was the problem after reading about G.M. engines. On the 17th, I drove the car home for the night and smelled hot coolant. I checked the engine and saw where coolant was leaking out between the intake and block. I panicked because I knew I was in for an expensive repair of a car that we only have had for 6 months. I took the oil filler cap off and saw the obvious sign that coolant was getting in the oil.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2008

Purchased a used 2002 Buick Rendezvous.

It is my belief the use of DEX COOL in the vehicle has resulted in many problems. (Manual states that Dex Cool should be good for a # of miles but it is not.) Continued overheating and the problem is not easily found or remedied. (Radiator, water pump, coil, gaskets, heads have all been checked.) Failure of 3 power window motors. Feul emmissions issues. Wheel bearing, wearing of brakes, etc. I have emailed and sent written communication, but have recieved not response, regarding open recalls etc.
Original review: Dec. 19, 2008

We bought our 1999 Chevy Venture with only 7 miles on the van. To this date, we are on our 3rd water pump, 3rd intake manifold gasket, and 2nd thermostat plus hoses.

The van suddenly started over-heating on the coldest day of the year. My husband replaced the thermostat, but it didn't help the problem. Long story short, he looked up overheating problems with Ventures, and found pages of sights relating to DexCool issues. We took over van in, and found out there is either a blown head gasket, or cracked cylinder. Expected cost for repairs is $2300.
Original review: Dec. 16, 2008

Here I am in NY, the snow and ice beginning to fly, and in my 1996 camaro (dex cool antifreeze) the sludge has so far destroyed my heater coil, thermostat and god knows what else. Each time we repair or replace a part, we find a new one destroyed or clogged by sludge. I don't even want to hear GM's crap about it being the fault of the car owner, because two years after I purchased my car, I had the coolant system flushed and refilled. The dealer had done it while the car was still on the lot. So what is the deal with dex cool? Are we supposed to flush it out of our cars every 3 months and refill? Does GM own stock in dex cool?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2008

Like so many others, I have issues with the coolant system in my 1999 Pontiac Grand Am.

The vehicle constantly leaks coolant somewhere, a rusty sludge is clearly building up in the coolant lines (visible even on the cap of the coolant tank), and I'm told I will need to replace my intake manifold ($800+), as well as flush my radiator/coolant 5 or 6 times every 3k miles (at a cost of $80 per flush). I feel that GM should reimburse me for all or part of this nearly $1,500 expense due to their decision to use this clearly poor DexCool coolant.
Original review: Dec. 12, 2008

Well, I guess I'm the new kid on the block. Again, Dex-Cool is the culprit. I'm a single mom who thought she got a deal getting a 1999 chevy lumina with only 23k miles. Apparently, I should have had the radiator flushed and replaced. Now I've got a $700 bill or more for the intake manifold gasket. Who knows what other engine problems are there as a result of Dex Cool? Can we file a new class action lawsuit? Can 2 lawsuits be filed against GM?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2008

The company is Only doing what GM tells them to , I understand that. I have a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix. At 60,000 miles the water pump went out. At 62,000 miles Just after the water pump was replaced by the dealer, I now have A Rusty sludge in my radiator. Which Dex-Cool is used in my car. All this at 62,000 miles. I have the 100,000 mile warranty but they only cover certain things. The way it is looking I am in for a Lot of headache with this car. All due to the Faulty Antifreeze that does Not work!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2008

I have noticed that I have been leaking tremendous amounts of coolant since I have owned my 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo. Recently, my steering has been becoming rough because coolant is being forced out of my radiator and misting onto my timing belts in front of it. My coolant inside the Radiator and Coolant Tank has turned from orange to this thick, muddy, rusty colored residue that lines the walls of my radiator and coolant tank. With that happening, my steering often gets hard to turn, I replace my coolant every week, my transmission hose has swollen as well as the hose from my Radiator to my Coolant tank.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2008

I am in the midst of replacing the head and attached parts due to the rotting away effect of this exclusive GM coolant that must be used.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2008

I took my car in for a diagnostic because it was leaking anti-freeze. The dealership said it was the intake mainifold gasket. I had it repaired, the cost was about $800. Almost on year later, it began to leak again. I took it back to the dealership and they were nasty with me because I waited to bring it in. I told them that I do not want to pay out money if the job isn't going to be done correctly. I had to leave. I had another mechanic do the job. He said it doesn't look like they took off any parts. I seen him do the job at my house. With him doing it by himself, it took a couple of days. there is no way that the dealership could have done the job they were suppose to. Even if it was two people working on it. After the other mechanic completed the job, I never had a problem with it again. They all knew of this Dexcool anti-freeze, and what it was doing to people's cars. I hope they sue the crap out of them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2008

2002 Chevy Venture Van with 64,367 miles is leaking Dexcool anti freeze from the intake manifole gaskets. Problem was discovered by GM while changing the oil. Estimated repaire cost between $800-$900.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2008

I took my 2002 GM Buick Century Deluxe in for a radiator leak. Repairman said I needed to replace the intake manifold gaskets due to Dex Cool Antifreeze eating the gastkets. I am also having to replace the radiator. The cost of replacement for both is going to be about $1,000.00

Original review: Dec. 5, 2008

as with thousands of gm vehicles, my 2002 buick century with only 39,000 miles on it has now twice developed excessive acidy sludge in the cooling system requiring several hundred dollars to flush and clear caused by the use of Dex Cool antifreeze.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2008

Dex Cool Engine coolant. Coolant corroded intake manifold gasket on my 2001 Chevrolet Venture restulting in repair costing $880.00. Mileage at time of repair: 70647.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2008

I went to get my regular oil change and they told me that I had antifreeze in my oil. When I took it to my mechanic he said not only did I have it in my oil but the antifreeze was like sludge. Also that it is a know problem with GM cars due to the antifreeze they require (DEX). I have a 2002 Buick Century Custom with 46,000 miles. The cost of repairs so far is $700. I have been told that this will probably not be the end of my problems as it affects other parts of the engine. I asked if there was a recall and he said no that GM is not owning up to it. I know that most cars have their querks, but they should at least own up to their mistakes and make it right. I don't want to be tempted to go foreign. The economy is bad enough as it is. I want to keep the money home here in the states.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2008

Dexcool has apparently eaten away at my hoses and gaskets causing water pump and coolant leaks. sludge has crept into the engine compartment and can be seen in the engine oil and in the radiator. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to just be finding out about this on my 2000 GMC Jimmy with 167,000 miles on it. What has been an otherwise perfect vehicle is now ruined by GM's negligence and I have no recourse because my Jimmy falls outside of the paramaters of the Dexcool settlement.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2008

My 2001 Astro Van 4.3 liter engine, with 30k miles, started heating up. I found brown sluged mud in radiator and hoses.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2008

My 1998 Chevy Venture recently had a problem with instant overheating of the engine and bogging down while driving. I took it to a service station and they said it blew the head gasket and the engine was cracked. They said it was a known problem with these vehicles that use Dexacool as the engine coolant.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2008

Bought a used 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT only to find out the Dextrol coolant has caused a problem with the intake manifold gasket. Then I research and find out that this is a common problem and GM is doing nothing to help. If a class action happens, I would like to be a part of it

Original review: Nov. 25, 2008

I am adding about gallon of Dex-coolant every 4 weeks, Dealer, the owner,of the dealership, said he has never heard about this problem and that I should contact GM,,thanks,I only have 59,000miles on it, don't work, sticker price on this car ($42,500).2003 Park Avenue-Ultra and I am not working.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2008

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala with only 63K miles and have been having some leaking over the last few months. In doing a recent check before the winter comes I was told by my mechanic that I have a serious leak in the manifold low gaskets & valve seal and it was due to using Dexcool fluid. He has referred me to the defects in many Chevy's having these problems between the years of 1995 to 2004. I would like to find out some futher information on how I can get the repairs fixed. My mechanic has given me an estimate that it could cot up to $1000 if I want to get it fixed. I would like to keep the car seeing that it is still fairly young. I usally keep my vehicles to at least 6 yrs. There is a Dex-Cool Settlement case going on right now with GMC. I did submit an email to there Co-Lead Counsel, Girard Gibbs, and they told me that I did not quaify due to a deadline of Oct 27,08. After serving the web there are others with similar problems that like me are putting up with paying for the repairs out of their own pockets with no assistance from Dex-Cool. I feel that this is a defect in their product and times are getting tough in the economy and money is tight. We do need assistance. Listed below is all the email history correspondence that I have had in the last couple of week for your review.

Email reply dated 11/11/08; Dear Ms. Billings, Thank you again for contacting us about the proposed Settlement . Plaintiffs' Counsel acknowledge and understand that many GM vehicle owners experienced difficulties with their vehicles relating to Dex-Cool, and that some of those GM vehicles are not included within the proposed settlement. However, in prosecuting and ultimately settling this case, for procedural and substantive law reasons, Plaintiffs' Counsel had to narrow the case to the strongest class claims based on the best evidence. We at Garden City Group are not a consumer protection law firm; we are simply a legal administrative firm that sends and collects forms and documentation for class action settlements. The settlements themselves have already been determined by attorneys from both the plaintiffs and defendants. By way of background, the group of Plaintiffs' lawyers in this case spent well over five years litigating this case, incurring nearly $2.5 million in out-of-pocket expenses and over $20 million in attorney time (which has not been compensated to date) fighting with General Motors, one of the largest companies in the world, in three different state courts and a consolidated action in a federal district court. During the course of the litigation, Plaintiffs' Counsel filed papers with the courts to certify a broad group of GM vehicle owners. Over the course of the five year litigation battle, different courts denied Plaintiffs' Counsel?s applications to represent these broad groups of GM vehicle owners, and refused to certify a class with all of the vehicles in it. At the end of the day, Plaintiffs' Counsel was forced to narrow the definition of the class and the class case down to what they believed was the strongest claims. This is what resulted in the vehicle lines that are included in the proposed settlement. Depending on your circumstances and the condition of your GM vehicle, you may have options, including filing a small claims court case. If you support your claim with the information from the GM class settlement, you may be able to recover some damages in small claims court. Sincerely, Claims Administrator (JT) -----lum867@aol.com wrote: ----- To: info@dexcoolsettlement.com From: lum867@aol.com Date: 11/11/2008 04:50PM Subject: Re: Dex Cool Settlement Dear Claims Administrator, Thank you for responding so quickly to my email. The vehicle is only 5 years old and 63K miles. I am the original owner of the vehicle. You mention below that if it is in within 7 year or 150K miles that it would. So what you are saying is that I am not eligible to be reimbursed for repairs to my Impala because I missed a deadline. How would I have forseen that this would have happened. I have just heared about this situation where the fluid is causing damage the parts to the engine. I have heard from a couple of other people where they have had a vehicle engine blow at @ 116K miles and you paid their expenses just recently under what was called a campaign project. In good faith I think that Dexcool would work out anything to keep people using the product. I feel that this liquid caused the deteriation to my manifold gaskets and that I should not have to pay for something that damaged my vehicle at this low mileage or at all in fact. This is a defect in the product. This is a lot of money for one person to pay with these kind of economical times. I have had numerous vehicles before this and kept them for long periods and have never had this happen. I would appreciate your assistance in this matter and to help me cover my costs in this situation to restore my vehicle to original working condition. Sincerely yours Lisa Billings -----Original Message----- From: info@dexcoolsettlement.com To: lum867@aol.com Sent: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 1:43 pm Subject: Dex Cool Settlement Dear Ms. Billings, Thank you for your email. This settlement only provides for partial reimbursement for covered repairs done in eligible vehicles due to engine damage caused by DexCool prior to May 30, 2008. Eligible repairs must have been made within 7 years and/or 150,000 miles of vehicle delivery. If you did not pay for a repair within 7 years and/or 150,000 miles after the date of delivery, or if the repair in question was performed after June 1, 2008, you would not be eligible to receive reimbursement. Further, the deadline to submit a timely claim for this settlement was October 27 th , 2008, so if you have not already submitted a claim, it is too late to do so under this settlement. We have not been authorized to grant any extensions or exemptions to the court-appointed deadlines. If you have any further questions, you can feel free to contact us. For your convenience, you may also reach us toll free at 1-888-404-8013 between 8:30 and 5:00 PST (Monday through Friday). Sincerely, Claims Administrator (MT)
Original review: Nov. 25, 2008

Purchased a 2001 Blazer in 2003 with 20k miles. The vehicle has 83k on it and I just replaced the air intake and value cover gaskets due to Dexcool. The vehicle overheated a few months ago and I change the thermostat thinking it was the primary cause. I did not know there was a class action lawsuit going on and Oct. 27th was the deadline to file a claim. I could have just put a good stop leak in it and traded it in, but I didn't want someone else to get stuck with the problem. By the looks of some of the dates on the complaints I have read I guess I am not the only one who did not know of the class action lawsuit and deadline.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2008

i have a 1996 astro van. two years ago i replaced the raditor and thermostat. this year my van started running hot and i was told the thermostat was the problem. a few months later i am told that i have a gasket leak $545 and i was also informed that a lawsuit was pending against gm and dexcool. today i called a chevy repair shop and explained by problem and i was told that i should go to goggle and find out how to contact dexcool. i found this site and decided to respond.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2008

bought a 2003 chevy monte carlo 6-12-08 11-20-08 had to replace intake gaskets and have system flushed from dex cool sludge in radiator and block.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2008

the 2nd time in less than 2 years I

have had to have coolant flushed and
Original review: Nov. 21, 2008

this is my 2nd time in 3 and 1/2 yrs that my car has leaked radiator fluid, also oil leaks, due to Dex-Coolant radiator fluid. My mechanic just fixed my car that cost me $1,350 to get fixed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2008

I just found out about dexcool today. The check engine light came on in my Chevy with 57,000 miles. The thermostat is not working properly. Mechanic says it is gummed up because of the dexcool. Needs new thermostat and a flush. I hope I caught it in time, and there isn't more damage done.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2008

As part of routine maintenence for my 1997 Pontiac Firebird, I changed the oil and filter, and checked the fluid levels in the transmission, brake system and radiator. I was horrified to discover a muddy sludge covering the indicator in the radiator overflow tank. When I removed the radiator cap, I discovered that the same muddy sludge was caked around the filler neck - thick enough to block my view of the inside of the radiator.

I immediately purchased 2 gallons of Dex-Cool and 6 gallons of distilled water. I filled the radiator with the distilled water, ran the engine until it warmed up, and drained it again. Then I filled the system with a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool and distilled water - per manufacturers specs.
Original review: Nov. 17, 2008

I flushed and filled an older Pontiac engine with Dexcool coolant and the very next morning the water pump gasket failed. The motor was older so I went on the the side of a coincidence. I replaced the gasket and the pump .. two days later my thermostat gasket started leaking as well.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2008

For the second time in two years I have had my Chevy S-10 pickup overheat.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2008

I purchase a van used that I was not aware it used dex-cool. I have 108,000 miles on the van and am chasing leaks due to damage caused by Dex-cool. As an unemployeed mother of 5 children, I require the use of my van, however find it parked more often than not due to problems from this coolant, forcing me to rely on others.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2008

i just found out about the problems with the sub standard collant used in my 1995 buick century-last year i had the car to the dealership and spent 1800.00 having seals replaced and now my heater core blew out with this nasty brown stuff going everywhere. had no idea of course about the class action lawsuit until 12 dys after it closed. and of couse gm said nothing when they took my 1800.00 replacing seals that shouldnt have gone bad at 60,000 miles-SHAME ON YOU GM FOR BEING DECEITFUL TO YOURCUSTOMERS AND REFUSSING TO WAIVE YOUR DIAGNOSING FEE OF 50.00 WHEN YOU WERE GETTING OVER 1800.00 TO DUE THE WORK.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2008

I bought a 2002 Chevy Camaro Z28 on March 2008. It had 39,*** miles... It now has 50,*** miles. I was unaware of this DEX-COOL problem. My engine started overheating, so I checked my oil levels. They were fine. Then I checked the coolant levels, and to my surprise, there was sludge all over the coolant level indicator. It was low, so I poured in more coolant, the green kind.

That seemed to fix the problem, but as of a couple days ago, the same thing started again. I again checked the oil levels, it came back full. Then I checked the coolant levels, and to behold again, there was sludge. So today, I took my car to MIDAS, and the mechanic there told me about all the complaints about the DEX-COOL coolant. He also told me that my water pump was leaking coolant, which may have been caused by the DEX-COOL coolant. He told me the DEX-COOL has been known to eat through gaskets and build up sludge, because it is like a Teflon base or something. The cost of another water pump with labor would be around $650, as an estimate. I have not yet contacted GM or a Chevrolet dealership about any kind of compensation with the cost or any kind of recall action, but I will soon be making phone calls to these people.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2008

I have a 1999 GMC Savana which I ordered new. I had the water pump replaced recently and now the gasket is leaking red fluid. Also the hinges on the side doors broke off a couple of days ago.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2008

This is the second GM product that I have owned that has had failure of the intake manifold.A 1997 Buick Lesabre which resulted in repair and then engine failure.At the present a 1500 Chevy v-6 pick-up with 76,000 miles on it has the same problem.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2008

i have jsut been infromed that i need to replace my lowwer intake gasket set and was infromed that if i don't replace its could lock up my engine

Original review: Nov. 1, 2008

I took my suburban in to the shop to get the door handle fixed it is a 1999 with 160,000 miles on it, I found out that I have to replace the radiator, water pump heater core an the intake gasket because of the famous gm dex cool, so it is not just the smaller cars an suvs, it is all so the large suvs too, an I have a 2002 gmc danali an 1999 yukon with dex cool an the class action law suit does not include 5.7 or 6.0 motors so we are at a lost, an we had are 1999 grand am fixed $700.00 cause of the dex-cool, so what about the owners of large suvs?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2008

I own a 2001 Chevy Blazer that uses Dexcool. This past year the Dexcool liquid began leaking out of various spots, so clearly it has corroded gaskets. I am money poor and have not been able to afford getting this repaired, and have been topping off the resevoir. This is not an expense that I planned for nor have the money to fix on my own. It is a known problem with the dexcool product that Chevrolet used in its vehicles. I think that company should contact owners and give them the rights as in 'recalls' to have things made right.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2008

My car is a 2002 Cadillac Deville, but I purchaced my car in 2005 and I've been having problem after problem with my vehicle for the past 2 years 2007-2008 it all started when my AC went out last summer and I had to have a new blower placed in my car because my mechanic said that my motor had gone bad and that there is a leak somewhere in the radiator, I had that so called fixed,now this summer just passed the same thing has accured all over again, now it's October of 2008 and my heat is not working at all and my vehicle is still running hot everyday, I've had 2 mechanics look at my vehicle and both are now telling me that I need a new head gasket,which one of the mechanics just replaced my thermostat and my water pump which is very costly I honestly am tired of having to put coolant and or water in my car everyday, I only have one vehicle and I really and truly do not have the money to have a new HEAD GASKET replacesd my radiator looks like mud is in there do to the DEX COOL product and I need some answer as far as what can be done about my situation due to the economy I do not have extra cash to just throw away so please feel free to call me at any of the numbers listed above but I perfer my cell which is 240-413-3061 Carrllay D. Wilson

Original review: Oct. 27, 2008

I recently stumbled across an old newspaper article describing the lawsuits against GM over problems with Dex-Cool coolant. Two years ago I suffered a major loss on my 2000 Chevrolet S10 Pickup Truck. For no apparent reason and no dashboard indicator warning, the engine overheated,damaged the motor, the radiator and ruined the water pump. I had the pickup towed to the dealer, Jeff Gordon, where I had purchased it in 2000. They called me up the same day and told me the damage was so extensive it would not pay to repair the truck and instead directed me to the new car sales folks. When I asked what happened, I was told a head gasket failed and destroyed the engine. I thought that unusual as there was no earlier indication of a temperature problem, just a sudden burst of steam pouring out from under the hood and a lot of strange sounds. Anyway They gave me a $500.00 trade in on the new pickup I bought from them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2008

I am thoroughly angered with GM and should be involved in the class action settlement for Dex Cool. My 1998 Bonneville had 59,000 miles on it when I had to replace an intake manifold and many other parts due to it overheating and nearly starting on fire. It cost me$1100. and just because it was shortly after it's 7th year, I am out of luck. Poor judgement on GM's part. At 59,000 original miles, you'd think the time would not matter. I complained to the NHTS office when it happened with no luck either. And they wonder why Americans don't want to buy GM vehicles.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2008

We had a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 repaired because the EGR port in the intake manifold had melted? (the service technicians description) causing coolant to leak into the engine. The plastic intake manifold had to be replaced. When we picked up our vehicle we were informed that this problem should not recur as GM had re-engineered the intake manifold and now inserts a metal tube in the intake manifold so the heat from the re-circulated exhaust gas cannot melt the plastic intake manifold.

I believe GM will occasionally have an unpublicized warranty for a part that fails after the usual warranty has expired due to poor engineering or manufacturing defect. Since this seems to be a common problem encountered for this model, I suspect that may be true in this case. The original design of the intake manifold is certainly poor engineering. It is, after all, not a moving part. I also believe that unless asked to do so GM will not offer to cover repairs under these unpublicized warranties.
Original review: Oct. 24, 2008

Car would overheat. 1999 Buick Century had installed by GM Dexcool brand coolant which created engine problems causing leaks to occur in the engine. My car had under 100,000 miles when this problem occurred. It was repaired at my expense at a reputable independent auto repair shop for approximately $650.00. Repaired by Brooks and Sons auto services 498 W. Sharon Rd, Cincinnati,(513)772-5248

Original review: Oct. 23, 2008

I own a 2002 Chevrolet Impala which has been leaking radiator fluid, and clogging up my radiator. After getting my my car inspected I found out that the intake manifold is leaking, and the repairs from a cracked gasket which I was told stemmed from The Dex-Cool bright orange coolant would be $740.00!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2008

To start with the dealership I take my car to is honest, customer service oriented but I feel they are wrong about the following situation.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2008

Monday, Oct.13, 2008 my 2000 Chevy Venture van overheated. We had it towed to a repair shop (not the dealership). We found out that our intake manifold gasket was leaking and needed to be replaced. This is the 4th time in 9 years that we have had to do this. Our mechanic informed us about a class action lawsuit and was surprised when we knew nothing about it. The first time it happened, the coolant destroyed other parts in the car and we were just out of warranty time. GM wouldn't pay. Since then, we have had this done 3 more times. We have spent in approximately $3,500 on this issue throughout the years. I need information on the class action lawsuit in Missouri and how I can join the suit.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2008

Dex coolant problem intake gasket replaced and now a blown motor.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2008

From reading the DexCool Lawsuit against GM my car should qualify, but because it is a 1999 Cavalier and has 148000+ miles I guess it doesn't. Basically, I could never keep coolant in the car. It would not leak anywhere that I could see, but would run hot a lot and low on coolant. Just last week the car went less than 3 miles and went all the way to the red zone. It was shut down to cool off and then would not start again. So now we have it tore apart hoping all the needs to be fixed is the head gasket and at the worst case the head.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2008

My car is leaking antifreeze from the head gaskets, causing the car to overheat and not hold any antifreeze. As soon as you refill the reservoir, it immediately pours onto the ground causing you to stop because the low coolant light comes on. You must stop to replace the coolant after it cools, this happens as little as 1-2 miles after placing and filling the reservoir with fresh coolant. Damaged the heads and with the car with over 150,000 miles, it's explained that the heads can not be removed and rebuilt or new ones added for it will shut the entire motor down because the motor will not be strong enough to handle new heads, so I'm advised to purchase a new motor which is 3500.00 from the manufacture uninstalled.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2008

having problems with 2003 montana you can smell antifreeze when you turn heater or air through the vents. it trys to over heat but fans keeps it from happeing. it goes all the to the red. couldnt get cap off when finally did there was rusty color sludge real thick gooey stuff in the raditor.

have appt. to get it flushed it looked realy nasty. they say to only use this product in the manual but it seems it hurts it not help it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2008

I have owned a 97 Blazer since 98. It has a 4.3 V-6 and came with Dex-Cool. My first DC (Dex-Cool) problem waswith the coolant resevoir, the hose from the radiator to it was plugged with sludge.I drained and re-filled the resevoir and radiator with DC. A few months later, my mechanic advised me to keep an eye on the radiator as it seemed to be filling up with sludge and had a small leak. Next the water pump failed and my mechanic told me it was plugged with DC sludge. He replaced that and advised the radiator will not last much longer, he flushed the system again and re-filled with DC. Six months later I had an intake manifold gasket leak and the coolant hoses were collapsing. My mechanic replaced the intake gasket, the radiator, flushed the system again and replaced the coolant hoses, the heater hoses, the watr intake and the thermostat and we switched to green coolant. No further problems in 12 months. But now I see I am aced out of the Ca class action suit not by mileage, I have 120k on my Blazer, but by time!!! The suit allows for claims only if repairs are done within 7 years of the vehicles age, mine is a 97. What a crock. Now I know I will NEVER buy another GM vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2008

engine collant leakage all gaskets in engine had to be replaced

$800.00 in repairs

Original review: Sept. 15, 2008

I have been having trouble with my 1997 Monte Carlo over heating. I had the radiator flushed & refilled about a year ago because I thought It was really dirty and full of rust, then I found out the Dex-cool causes this. That was after I had to have a new water pump put on the car. I also had to replace the radiator cap because so much gunk had built in it that it wouldn't work. I have always made sure my radiator was filled properly. Also, my air conditioner will not cool properly and I have to keep adding coolant to it. If a class action law suit is filed against GM I would very much like to be contacted concerning this matter.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2008

I bought our 2002 silouhette new and we had a problem with the intake leaking but it was under warranty so we had it fixed.Well every since then it seems to run alittle hot and we smell coolant but can't see it leaking anywhere.if someone can help please let me know.thanx

Original review: Sept. 14, 2008

Coolent leak needed lot of engine and cooling system repairs. The coolant ate the gaskets in the engine and caused slug to enter the engine and damage the cooling system. this caused many problems many hours larbor no car to drive for a long time and at great csot to me.

The repairs were extremly expensive and I was with out my car for a very long time and residual problems as well.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2008

I have a 1999 chevy S10. I was travelling down I-44 when the lower heater hose blew and I had to have the vehicle towed to my mechanic. I thought this would be a simple, inexpensive fix. However, to my suprise, the mechanic told me he performed a pressure test of the system and dexcool antifreeze began to shoot out of the head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, and exhaust. He then removed my radiator cap and it had so much sludge on it that the spring mechanism would not work. The radiator was full of sludge that looked like Alabama red clay. I then noticed that around the thermostat housing it also appeared to be leaking. Upon further inspection the DEXCOOL coolant had eaten the end of the metal line and that's why it was leaking. My thermostat was stuck open because it had so much sludge in it and would not work.

I have since had to spend $1500.00 to repair my vehicle. I had to replace the radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump, head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, and had to have my head sent off to a machine shop to be checked and machined and cross decked. Then after all this is was still leaking antifreeze and now I have had to replace the freeze plugs on the driver's side because the pH level was so high it was eating them from the inside out. I called the 1-866 number listed on the website for the lawsuit and was told that because my engine is a 4 cylinder, I am not included in the litigation. I then contacted GM customer service via there 800 number and was told the same thing. When I asked to speak to a supervisor they said they couldn't give me that information. I think this is a great injustice to the American public because GM knows that DEXCOOL is causing these problems and they are not standing behind their products. I also feel that the 2.2L 4 cylinder engines should be included in this lawsuit because my mechanic is an ASE certified mechanic and former GM mechanic and will testify that DEXCOOL coolant was and is the culprit in my situation and several other vehicles he has had to repair as a result of DEXCOOL. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated

Original review: Sept. 2, 2008

I bought a Olds 99 Alero 3.4 used back in 2007. It had approx 120,000 miles on the engine. I went on a trip to Tenn from Missouri (the state I bought the car from). I had a major leak and had to replace the hoses. I noticed the coolant was thick and sludge look to it. I added new coolant and hoses and I still have problems with over heating and just recently have had the gasket replaced because it was leaking coolant. The eng temp always runs hotter than normal. I was told the coolant was causing my problems with the gasket problems and the overheating. Help Thanks Greg

Original review: Aug. 26, 2008

My car had overheated when i used this product of dexcool and which caused my head gasket to be filled with water and liquids inside the engine, and caused my radiator to leak

engine trouble and paying over $900 in repairs of replacing a radiatior and repairing a head gasket

Original review: Aug. 25, 2008

Dexcool used by General motors to cool my Buick Century engine

Sludge has built up in my coolant.Engine oil leaks into my engine coolant.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2008

I am currently purchasing a 2002 malibu. I have been having problems with the tempeture for quite some time now. The irst incident happend early last year I would smell antifreeze in my car through the vents. I always keep my eye on my temp. guage it will always read norm. Over time my temp. hand would go up but not past normal. Last Nov. my car ran hot raditor fluid was just spewing from where I do not know. So I called my boyfriend he put water in my car and we took it to a mechanic who could not find a leak and replaced it with DexCool. Few months after that I found myself having to have to top my coolant off maybe every two weeks. I took my car back to my mechanic and he told me I need work on my intake manifold gasket which would be $1200.

My mechanic charged me $1200.00 for the services and labor. My temp. hand still reads above normal. I cant afford all this Im paying for this car I am still making payments. I am a single mother of two.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2008

Just found out I need all new gaskets for my 99 olds Alero because dexcool is dissolving them. Same over heating as the thousands of other people are having. How do I find out about the class action suit?

$1656 and two days without my car which I CAN NOT DO. That's over a months pay for me.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2008

my 2000 olds van suddenly ran hot. when checked both head gaskets are blown. the engine is a 3500 v6. the van was not run hot after the first indication. the van has 93,000 miles on it. it has Dex-Cool antifreeze in it. i must replace the engine at a cost of 3-4,000 dollars.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2008

I purchased a 1999 GMC Jimmy from a GM Executive in 1999 with 134 miles on it. Early on in my ownership of this SUV (my second as I also had a 1998 Chevy Blazer), the engine stalled and I took it to my GM dealership in Pittsburgh. They informed me that it was an engine coolant problem and that I could either have the entire thing replaced for $600 or have a quick fix done (that they assured me would work) for $35. I opted for the quick fix on their recommendation, and although I had to add DEX-Cool to my car much more often than normally necessary, the car ran fine.

They NEVER told me that, even at that early date, there was a GM issued service bulletin on the coolant problem and GM never publically issued any kind of warning/recall about it. I still have (had) this SUV until this week when driving home to Pittsburgh on the PA Turnpike (from a doctor appointment at Cleveland Clinic), the car suddenly lost acceleration using the cruise control. It then made gutteral noises and I pulled into a rest area. The coolant tank appeared to be empty even though the engine temp light NEVER came on and there was plenty of oil in the car.

The car had to be towed (twice) in order to get it to my mechanic's shop and it has been there ever since. My car now sits DEAD at the mechanic's shop. It only has 76,000 miles on it and the engine is completely fried. NO prior warning to the problem and my car went from operating beautifully to dead and trashed in the space of 5 miles on the PA Turnpike. The mechanic has told me that to put a re-manufactured engine in my car will cost about $4,500. At this point, that seems economically unfeasible as the car is almost 10 years old. I cannot afford a new (used) vehicle at this time and my SUV is not even able to be traded in as it is not in working order at all. I have diligently maintained this car for the past 10 years and it has been great.

I also own a 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo which has only 100k miles on it and has NEVER given me a problem. It has not been in used in 5 years and has been in the garage, however, I am not tempted to get it repaired and use it - gas guzzler or not as it is the most dependable car EVER. Is there any recourse for this blatant disregard of the service bulletins that are issued to the dealers but not passed along or posted for the consumer's use. My problems with car predates the widespread use of the internet, where you can not search and find these bulletins.

I have put about $1,500 into my 1999 GMC Jimmy over the past 18 months for regular maintenance, culminating with a new battery in May and just having the sealed upper stage of my A/C unit replaced in June. NOW I am totally without any transportation or any equity in my car. My mechanic has maintained this car for years and is very truthful and trustworthy and would have given me the heads up on ANY potential problems based on his work on the car. NOTHING indicated this problem was lurking.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2008

I own a 2003 Buick Park Avenue and I just went to Jim Ball Pontiac dealer to have my head gasket intake manifold replaced. The cost was about 500 dollars and I would like to be reimbursed for my costs.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2008

We have spent $2500 on our Buick Century that had Dexcool in it. We feel it is from the Dexcool. That is what the mechanic indicated.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2008

took my car to get the oil change and the man told me to check out the pending law suit with GM about Dexcool coolant causing brown sludge build in the radiator and needing to be flushed and clean out before something happens.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2008

I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo. Using Dex Cool coolant has caused me to get my Manifold Intake, Headgasket, and Radiator replaced!...It cost me over $1500 to get all parts replaced!

First my radiator started leaking brown fluid..then my car couldn't accelerate like it normally did...then my enginge started making a grinding noise...everything happened within a week span!...

Original review: Aug. 16, 2008

The 2002 Pontiac GrandAM that I have along with the Dexcool problem, I have had to replace a wheel barron about two months ago and now it has to be replaced again. The money that I am out again, I have to pay someone to take me back and forth to work.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2008

I paid 16000.00 for a 2003 chev 4x4 truck. The price would indicate that I had purchased a vehicle in good condition. Less than 1 year I had to replace the radiator and head gasket and hose. I had to disconnect the hose to my heater because of leaking from the core. I have already spent 2500.00 and can't afford to fix the heater. I have never nor have any of my friends owned a vehicle that had these problems even after 10 - 14 years.

Something unusual had to cause this problem. My problems are exactly like those I have been reading about, but my vehicle was out of the age range for the dex cool. Same problem, same sludge, same brand of vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2008

DEXCOOL is the best you guys are haters and losers

Original review: Aug. 14, 2008

I am a single mother with 2 children and I totally depend on my car to get me to work. My car started making noises and running hot. I took it to a mechanic and he told me that there was a problem with these cars running hot due to the anti=freeze used in the car. I own a 2003 Grand Prix and this is a hardship of me having to put so much money into a car that I solely depend on and still have to pay the car note. I am frustrated....

I took it to the mechanic and he removed and replace the intake manifold due to a busted pipe and corrosion that makes my car overheat. I am just happy it did not crack the heads. I was charged $553.46. The mechanic told me to look up the problems that I had and put in a claim for it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2008

used dex cool as owners manual stated...i drive a 2005 cadillac cts 3.6 liter..after so 1000 miles my car started to leake some type of fluid..brown muddy type fluid, some kind of sludgy liquid ( really bad)..i do understand there has been some issues with dex cool...no having problems with leakege

full internal cooling system damage...

Original review: Aug. 11, 2008

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala that had to have the head gaskets replaced at67,000 miles which cost me 1372.55 to have fixed. Dexcool is supposed to be so wonderful, but yet I am taking my car back to the dealer today to have it fixed again. My car keeps overheating and I have no heat. The car now has 75,000 miles on it and I should not be having these problems.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2008

We had a very difficult time with our Delta 88 when using Dex-Cool. The temperature gauge continued to read hot and we ended up having to replace the gasket, and upper intake manifold.

As stated above, we ended up replacing the gasket and upper intake manifold and finally got rid of the car because we were concerned for our safety.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2008

I have a 2003 Chevy Venture van and started to have problems with it overheating this past winter. Also when temperatures became very cold the engine knocked terribly until my vehicle warmed up good. I had this checked out at serveral shops to see if I would get the same diagnosis. I did get the same diagnosis from each place - that the coolant Dexcool that is used for the engine in this van has caused the gaskets to wear which is causing the coolant and oil to mix, and also slowly leak, causing me to get oil changes more often and have the fluids topped off more often than the recommended 3,000 mile change. I have been given an estimate to fix this problem ranging from $700.00 and up depending on how bad the damage is from this coolant. I am astounded at the amount of complaints on the WEB for this problem and that GM will not recall this and fix the problem. In my opinion with the way the American car industry is suffering right now, this is part of the reason why.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2008

I bought a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am with 80,000 miles on it, and it seemed like Dex Cool coolant had been used since bought. I started having overheating problems due to a bad thermostat, and then water pump failure, and according to the mechanic it was a clogged radiator. After replacing those parts the problem was still there, upon returning to the mechanic he rechecked it and found a problem with the intake gaskets. He said the gaskets were worn out and crystallized, It was also sucking in air through the gasket, causing the car to overheat and lose power. It would also leak all the water and coolant through the reservoir tank making the overheating problem worse to the point of not being able to drive the car anymore. I also found brownish sludge coming out from the engine, it looked like mud. I still don't know how the head gaskets are at this present time but the way it looks I'm pretty sure I'll be having problems in the future. However, I will keep records of all the expenses that I could face.

Original review: July 31, 2008

The product caused me to have an intake gasket leak and I hear there is a suit against the company that I want to add my name to. I have a 2001 pontiac aztec

I had to pay out alot of money to fix it. and take time off from work.

Original review: July 30, 2008

My wife and I have a 99 pontiac Bonneville 3.8l and a 2000 GMC Sanoma 4.3 vortec. The bonniville intake started leaking at about 50,000 mile in witch I had to replace the plastic intake. I put on an after market part on and did it myself, cost about 200 dollars, this was about 3 years ago. About one year ago my 4.3 vortec intake started leaking I have only added alumaseal to the system for now but it needs the dexcool flushed out and I am anticipating the leak to come back.

Cost of replacing both the intake on the Bonniville and cost of the repair pending of the GMC Sonoma

Original review: July 28, 2008

I have the dex cool as my coolant antifreeze. My car at 37000 miles a chevy Impala 07 developed a coolant leak. I was driving to work and my warning lights went off. I pulled over and turned the car off and let it cool down. Checked under the hood and found out I was low on coolant. Went to a walmart and toped it off with prestone 50/50 says mix with any antifreeze all makes and models. It took about a gallon. Drove the car back home. Took the car in to the dealer and found out I had all kinds of problems. The mecanic says I had contaminated antifreeze.

Dex cool is known for clogging up and creating a thick orange muddy substance. causing clogs and wear and tear on gasket pressure. I went online and I had the same problems another consumer had. they tried to suggest that maybe when I went to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and they might have put the wrong fluids in the antifreeze. The cost of all parts and labor are as follows, replace all radiator hoses for the coolant system,replace the thermostat and gasket, flush the system twice, replace the serpentine belt all for about 1300.00

Original review: July 23, 2008

I am currently going through the ringer due to the cooling system in my 2003 Chevrolet Impala. I have been having problems with this vehicle for over a year now as I purchased the vehicle in 2003 used with approximately 15,000 miles on it. I took it in to a Chevrolet dealer to find that a few seals and gaskets, the water pump and the thermostat need to be replaced for a fee that exceeds $1,000. Although I have my situation meets all the requirements necessary to be eligible for the class action lawsuit, I have found that I am ineligible due to the fact that I did not have this work, that I now need, done by May 30, 2008 as it is now July 23, 2008.

I have been running around like a mad man because I do not know what to do. Due to these unfortunate events, I was pressed to purchase an extended warranty for $1,500 which only covers internal parts. Now I am to pay over $1,000 for my vehicle to be repaired and it has been sitting at the dealership for a week now. I need help...

Original review: July 23, 2008

WE bought a new Oldsmobile Silhouette van in March 2002. It has around 106,000 miles on it now. We have had 3 separate repairs (air conditioner, radiator, and internal gaskets)made to the cooling system in the last 3 months. The total for all 3 repairs is going to be around $1,700. After having the third repair done we began to research this problem online and found out about the different class action lawsuits against GM Dex-Cool. We feel we should be covered for most of the repairs since this is due to defective parts that we should have been informed about.

Multiple days without vehicle, rental car, and expensive out of pocket cost.

Original review: July 20, 2008

Bought a used 2003 malibu that was in the show room as a superior cream of the crop vehicle. After about 6 months the car started to act up so we took it in and after a few hours was told everything was fine. A few months later we were back in the dealers repair center and were told it needed a new engine as the coolant had eaten the head gaskets. We had purchased an underwriters policy for the vehicle so the rebuilt engine only cost us $500.00 when in fact I feel it should have cost us nothing. We were never told that there was a problem with the coolant type or anything at all. If the company knew of the potential problem then why would they put thousands of lives at stake. My only regret is that We went back to the same Co. several times and purchased vehicles from GM. I dont think I will be doing that in the future. Foriegn is now the way to go for sure.

Original review: July 15, 2008

I have experienced major car repairs due to coolant leaking. It has effected gaskets, belts, oil, radiator, water pump and hoses.

It has cost me thousands of dollars and created feared for my safety. I had the car towed because I was too fearful of driving it.

Original review: July 15, 2008

Replace Several coolant parts due to overwelming sludge, also overheating, 2 water pumps, 4 termastes, 1 raditor, any many gassests.

Original review: July 13, 2008

dexcool problems Subject: later year models? July 13, 2008 So what is being done for those of us who have a newer vehicle (2005 Pontiac Grand Am) that is exhibiting the same problem - sludge AND leaking at lower intake manifold gasket? Are we just stuck with having to pay to have the repairs done. I know GM has stated they fixed the problem, but I sure have the same thing going on with my 2005 car.

Original review: July 13, 2008

Original review: July 11, 2008

When I purchased my 2002 Buick Century from a dealership in Virginia, I was told that antifreeze by the name of Dexcool was in my vehicle and not to mix any other ingredient with it. The Dexcool leaked and caused serious damage to my car. The garage that fixed my car was Park Automotive, Seneca Street, Hornell, NY 14843.

Upon inspection of my vehicle, it was noted that Dexcool had leaked into the engine area. The intake manifold gasket had to be removed and replaced at a cost of $577.02. Since this item had to be removed, the oil and filter had to be replaced at a cost of $11.32. The radiator had to be flushed and filled at a cost of $59.95. Another item that had to be replaced was the water pump at a cost of $42. I wish to be added to the lawsuit against GM in order to receive compensation for the damage done to my car.

Original review: July 11, 2008

I purchased a 2000 Chevrolet Malibu in May of 2001. At the time of purchase, the car had less than 30,000 miles on it. Within the year, the car developed terrible over heating issues. I took it in numerous times only to be told that the anti freeze DEXCOOL was leaking out and had to be replaced....and that you could only use DEXCOOL in my car. After another frustrating year of over heating, adding DEXCOOL etc I took the car in to my mechanic who informed me that I had to replace the intake manifold gasket for a cost of $800.00. I had the work done, but after seeing the numerous complaints about the DEXCOOL, I have to wonder why GM never sent anything out, was never required to notify consumers that a product that was the new answer to anti freeze was ruining engines. In a country where we spend more time and money on ridiculous matters,why when discovered, would we not require a major automaker to disclose information that is critical to not only automotive safety, but also the financial safety of consumers who buy their products. Is something being done to advise consumers of this problem...or reimbursing those that had to have extensive work done? I am all about personal accountability,and I am for being an adult and sucking it up, but I do not believe that GM should be allowed to get away with not even notifying consumers that there was a problem, or giving us instructions, advise or counsel on how to prevent or fix the problem before it became too costly.

Original review: July 10, 2008

The summer of 2007 my car was overheating so I assumed that I needed an oil change and took it to Jiffy Lube. The replaced my oil, but I also had to get my radiator flushed because my coolant reservoir was filled with what looked like brown jello (Dexcool coolant for you, which is supposed to last for 100,000 miles without a changing). Then on 6-28-08 my car started leaking coolant from the overflow. I replaced the cap, but that wasn't it.

I finally took it into my local dealership and they told me that the intake manifold gasket needed to be replaced for $739. I've also had to replace my breaks and rotors 3 times over the course of 6 years. I've gone to buying anything but Chevy parts also, because they don't last as long. If this gets posted, I recommend that everyone immediately flush the Dexcool Coolant and replace it with regular coolant. This should help in the future.

Original review: July 9, 2008

I had bought A 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 37,0000 miles in 2004. It had taken me 14 years to get the car I had always wanted. You can imagine my excitement when I drove off the car lot. That is where it ended! I had to take that car back almost every 2 Weeks to have something fixed in it.I had to have so many things fixed in it that I can't remember them all! I did have to have the transmission replaced at 46,000 miles because the bearing inside had fallen apart. That job had cost me around $1800! I continued to have more and more problems. I had to have 4 ignition coils replaced. I started to have ( what i found out later) was a major problem . My car started to act funny. The check engine light started to flash on & off, my temperature gauge light came on, and I had hardly any power. My car wouldn't drive over 20 miles per hour. I had to have it towed. I couldn't take it to the gm certified dealer that I bought the car from because they were no longer in business. I took it to a private garage to have it serviced once AGAIN! They took a look at my car and told me the bad news. I needed to have the SAME ignition coil that I had just replaced ,replaced again, Intake Gasket,Upper Intake Manifold,Radiator Hose(x2), Valve cover Gasket, 2 Oxygen sensors,Coolant Elbow, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt, Thermostat,And Antifreeze.This job cost me $1351.17!!! And thats not all. After I had this job done, 2 WEEKS LATER, I was driving on my way home from work and my car started to act up once again, but this time was the worst. IT STARTED ON FIRE!!!!!!!! And let me just say that when you are a mother and your children ride in that car that is now on FIRE it is one of the scariest things that could happen. I again. I no longer have that car but I can say that I'll be paying on the repairs for a long time!!

Original review: July 8, 2008

Same issues with the gasket on the intake manifold and was also advised to use Dex Cool. We understand there is a class action lawsuit regarding the Dex Cool. However, we are interested in finding out how to get involved.

Original review: July 7, 2008

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala LS and it only has 50,897 miles on it and I have to spend over $800.00 to get the coolant leak fixed on the intake manifold. I know that it is from the DEX COOL. This stuff is definitly not the 100000 mile antifreeze. This antifreeze is supposed to be orange and it is a rusty color.

I am going to have to pay over $1300.00 dollars to have the gaskets replaced on the intake manifold, as well as one of the head gaskets. Not only that but I am going to have to have my radiator flushed. This Dex Cool coolant is the worst coolant ever created and it is costing the end consumers thousands of dollars. I will never purchase another GM product again. However I do not want to pay to have this fixed as it is not my fault that the DEX Cool is crap!

Original review: July 7, 2008

I had been having an antifreeze leak. Took car into Courtesy Chevrolet on 7-7-08. There,the mechanics made me aware that I had an intake manifold leak that may have cause anti-freeze to leak into engine. I was told that GM was aware of this problem and that they were responsible for reimburstment of any repairs made arriving from Dexcool leak.

Original review: July 7, 2008

I took my 1998 Camaro 3.8 V-6 to a mechanic to determine why my coolant is leaking. It is now a $2200 expense to repair faulty intake manifold gasket and other leaks I beleive are caused by the Dexcool that GM uses. I had it flushed at 50000 miles by the dealer and also at 54000 by the replacement of the water pump. The class action lawsuit looks like I am excluded because the repair is after may 2008, and the age of the car. I only have 94000 miles and have babied this car since I got it. How can I get my money from GM?

Original review: July 7, 2008

I have one of those cars involved in the class action suit with Dexcool over the coolant damaging the gaskets. I called the number in the lawsuit paperwork to find out how to get in on the suit only to learn that they are limiting the time in which the failure and repairs happened to 7 years. I bought my car a 2000 Chey Malibu used in 2004 or 2005, would have to search through files to find the exact year, and only this year began experiencing the problems associated with the dexcool ruining the gaskets and I also just learned about the problem of the dexcool ruining the gaskets. I don't believe it fair that they are one putting a time limit, as some cars are not driven hard or extensively enough for the problem to manifest itself or that the problem may have begun but was misinterpreted as something else; two I believe that a recall needs to be done now so that those like my self can get this issue resolved. The problem only gets worse as time passes and not everyone can afford to pay $1000's of dollars to have the cars repaired.

Original review: July 7, 2008

I recently purchased a 1999 monte carlo. I take to get an oil change and a radiator flush. After the man flushs the coolant, he replaces it with dex-coolant. After about 5 minutes i relize that all the coolant has disappeared. I asked him why it did that and he replied it's normal, so he refils it with the same antifreeze. When i got home i see the low coolant sensor pop up. I open the hood and see that the coolant is very low. So i just go ahead and filled it up with the same coolant. One day I get home and turn off my car, then i see it start to smoke. I then hear a sizzling noise in my engine. My friend told me it was the antifreeze mixing with the oil. Now i don't drive my car anywhere because i don't have the money to fix the problem. I then look online to see if anyone had the same problem as me, and suprisingly it seems as dex-coolant is causing problems for everyone. I regret buy the car now.

Original review: July 6, 2008

I was told this winter by my mechanic that the 2004 chevy cavalier i bought has dexcool in it. I do not have the money to pay the 500.00 to have this changed. This was bought at rolling hills auto last year and i did not know until fall when i took it for oil change for winter and to have winterized but i cant afford on social security to have it changed now. i will have nothing and im still paying on the car.

Original review: July 6, 2008

Problems with dex-cool: Coolant light came on. Found gooey dark sludge in overflow tank. Had manifold gasket replaced. Within six months, coolant light started coming on again. Dealership couldn't find anything wrong. Replaced coolant sensor.(and spark plugs at my request) Within a month, check coolant light is coming on again. The coolant level seems fine, though. Also, car idles roughly upon first starting. Complained to dealership when I brought the car in to replace the coolant sensor. They said they didn't notice rough idle upon starting and did nothing to fix that.

Paid over $600.00 to replace the intake manifold gasket. When coolant light started coming on again, I had the dealer to replace the spark plugs (in addition to the coolant sensor) to try to resolve idle problem, thinking they were damaged by the coolant in engine oil. I don't have the exact amount in front of me, but I think it would be around $100.00 for the spark plugs and coolant sensor replacement. Although I don't believe class action lawsuits really benefit the consumer much, if there is a class action lawsuit involving the coolant problems in the 2002 Malibu, I would like to be included. How do I do that?

Original review: July 6, 2008

i bought a 1999 venture in 2007. the person i got it from just had the heads done with gm dexcool intake gaskets. the place he got the service done at told me it was in good shape and no leaks wich he showed me that this was true. when i took it to wahington it started to over heat . the place showed me at the water pump had a little leak and i replaced the pump. now the engin oil light cam on. my mom put antifreze and haf a cort of oil in it. the light went out.

a week later it came on again. it started to hiss/ chug/ so i checked the oil and antifreeze. it was ok but no luck. the person in the gas station told me he was a part time macanice told me. it was the head was going. when he told me to start it it was running ruff and that is how he came up with it. so when i had it towed to the place to fix it told me the engin blu up. it is no good

Original review: July 2, 2008

I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu with Dex-Cool coolant. I recently had to have my intake gasket replace which cost me $540.00. I had to pay $540.00 to have the intake gasket fixed on my Chevy Malibu not to mention time of work that was lost and having to find transportation for work and to get my son to daycare.

Original review: July 2, 2008

I was experiencing overheating problems with my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. I checked coolant level to find it has all boiled out the overflow. I then attempted to repair changed waterpump as well as thermostat. Refilled radiator with the factory recommended Dex-Cool. Again coolant boiled out overflow. I then checked the radiator cap as I had read that could be a problem if pressure is lost 15 lbs required.seemed ok. Now after changing waterpump there seems to be a surge in the coolant flow through the hoses.

I then as reading on similar problems was made aware of the Dex-Cool complaints as well this site. So here I am with a car that has restricted coolant flow I am unable to drive. My next step is to try to flush radiator and see if I cant improve coolant flow. If so I will not use recommended Dex-Cool antifreez. Green or Universal will replace that. I do not have great expectations on flushing the system. waterpump, thermostat, 3 gallons of Dex-Coo. The labor to do these things as well the limping of a wounded car to get home 15 minute drive took 3 hours pulling over to let engine cool and fill with water borrowed from a couple nice families on the way.

Original review: July 2, 2008

I just paid over $1000 to have my car fixed. The mechanic took the cover off the engine and showed me how all this coolant was leaking all over the inside of my engine,and causing all sorts of problems for my car. He was the one that told me to look into this situation that GM had some class actions suites against it for this very reason.

Over $1000 in damages due to this situation.

Original review: July 1, 2008

I am crying!!! I purchased a $40,000.00 so called #1 in the nation, vehicle brand new in 2004. Why did I do that? I have had nothing but problems, problems, problems 6months into having it and ongoing! The latest, I just found out today 6/30/08 why my 2004Yukon has been making a really awful noise after it sits for awhile. Leakage from the DexCool is running into my engine causing the heads and no telling what else all sorts of damage! It is not right that I have to pay for something they officially created! It will be known by the president or somebody what GMC is doing...Number 1, selling poor quality cars and Number 2, at high quality prices! I make my money honestly and would feel better I guess, if I had not been robbed Blue Collar style. They are robbers in diguise

Original review: June 30, 2008

I need to know more about the Dex Cool Problem. We bought a 2000 Olds Alero in Nov of 2007 and Just this month it started leaking, we have been using Dex Cool.

We had to take the 200 Olds Alero to an auto repair shop and have them fix it. The o rings had let loose and the water jacket (Ibelieve it's called) was cracked in several places.

Original review: June 30, 2008

We have used Dex-cool in our 2001 Olds Intrigue since new ( stated in owners book) We have had nothing but problems since about 2004 with engine problems we have taken it to certified GM dealers who said the head gaskets on this engine were bad, after that was fixed (or so we thought) it happened again, then we went to a local mechanic that said it is a recurring problem. We still got it fixed again!!

Original review: June 30, 2008

The 2000 Cheverolet Impala that i purchased because of the coolant system and use of dex-cool over heats and has caused damaged to the motor i am unable to drive or use my only source of transportation

Original review: June 29, 2008

The water pump blew a gasket in 2006 on My 2000 Chevy Malibu and recently needed a 665 dollar replacement of the Intake Manifold Gasket....I am now hearing I should be in with a Class action suit for the Dex-Cool anti-freeze causing these problems.

Original review: June 27, 2008

I have a 1999 Grand Am and have just been told that because of Dex Coolant, the repairs will exceed $1,400. They showed me the plastic part GM put in the car. Oil is now getting in the coolant and visa versa. GM should pay for these repairs.

Original review: June 27, 2008

I own a 1998 Olds Intrigue that required Dex Cool.

The Dex Cool has eaten seals and gaskets which is an expensive repair.

This coolant problem started at approx 48K miles and has gotten worse since then

Original review: June 26, 2008

Dex-Cool on a 1999 GMC safari van, why isn't this included in the Dex-Cool/GM settlement for repairs with GMC. This occurred in my van on 6/26/08 @ the cost of $687.29. How can I get more information on this so I can get this covered.

Original review: June 26, 2008

Heard that there is a class action law suit about the company and them only making the vehicles to use the coolant call 'DexCool. This coolant is destroying engines and cars and heating system, leaving customers out of a car and cash because they are not covering the damage. There is currently a class action suit going on and now I am having the same issue. I have a 2006 grand prix and the car guide states that the Dex Cool is the only coolant you can use and the coolant should last 150,000 miles. I am @ 50,000 miles and my car is leaking coolant all over the roads and grass and over heating. This is a problem in over 1,000 GMC car owners and this is sad because gas is high enough, along with insurance and car notes, I can not afford to pay the dealer to fix this problem because this Dex Cool is faulty coolant, caused muddy, rust color damaged to the engine and ultimately will damage the engine and its parts causing over $5,000 in damage. I have to pay to have the car looked at. This muddy rusty slop is laa over my engine parts and under the hood. Its bad enough I cant afford gas, then its insurance and then a car note now this.

I am a single mother of 3 kids. We depend on this car and i never had an accident or any damage to the car resulting for a accident or engine damage. This is going to be an expensive mess. I call GM today and asked where there any recalls and asked if they new anything about a coolant spill and the rep lied and said nope and anything dealing with a spill will be my out of pocket expenses. I though something was fishy and I looked on line only to find over 2,000 complaints about GMC forcing this garbage in our Coolant systems. They give you no other choice. It comes with the orange rusty goop and you have to keep using it but if the car gets damaged from it they want to be held not liable. I am stressed out because I do not have another car or any other forms of transportation. This stuff is all on my grass and drive way and it is bright and it stains. The apartment complex advised me I need to do something bout my car ASAP because it is causing concerns for the residents. This is a shame if it cause this many lawsuits before how can the issue still not be happening? I have a Grand Prix that was running well and now it is running hot, temper gauge is toogling and the mess is all under the hood and engine. Then it states if you spill any on the engine it can cause major engine damage. i don't know this sounds like a set up. I mean i neevr seen anything like this rusty goopy mess. You can not use anything else. If you mix it they will say this is why thecar is causing damage so the light green cheap coolant is out. you have to buy this $13 dollar killer coolant and pray you done blow up. please Please please help me.

Original review: June 26, 2008

Heard that there is a class action law suit about the company and them only making the vehicles to use the coolant call 'DexCool". This coolant is destroying engines and cars and heating system, leaving customers out of a car and cash because they are not covering the damage. There is currently a class action suit going on and now I am having the same issue. I have a 2006 grand prix and the car guide states that the Dex Cool is the only coolant you can use and the coolant should last 150,000 miles.

Original review: June 26, 2008

I have been using the dex-cool coolant. And have been experencing difficulty with my car for a long period of time. And have came to the realization that dex-cool coolant that I have been told to use in my car is causing problems.

Original review: June 25, 2008

i bought a second hand 1998 chevelot tahoe from an individual and suffered from the same coolant system failures that i have been reading about.. i changed an water pump. 2 freeze plugs that had coroided and within a month of that i had to have the intake gasket replaced.. which was without a doubt the first thing that failed due to the coolant used and it caused all the other problems... on another note i have owned a 1990 gmc pick up, a 1992 chev. suburban, a 2003 chev. cavalier and a 1998 chev.tahoe.. i have had to replace the fuel pumps in every one of the and the 1998 tahoe twice... i believe that GM fuel pumps which are located in the fuel tank and are very expensive to replace are a company defect. i know several other individuals that have had the same problems with GM vehicles ranging from 1996 to 2004 year models.... coolant system failures (water pumps and or intake gaskets) and fuel pump failures.. i still like GM products in spite of the problems i just wish they would off set some of the cost to reapair by at least supplying the parts to replace the ones that are factory defected or inferior. these part failures are way to common.

Original review: June 25, 2008

My 2003 Impala uses DEXCOOL in it and so far since I have owned the car it has turned into a mud like solution and I had to pay to have the system flushed and the car has less than 90,000 miles on it

Original review: June 25, 2008

I have a 2002 Chevy Impala and had to replace the Intake Manifold Gasket and Coolant Level Sensor in 2005. The car only had 31,139 miles.

Original review: June 25, 2008

i found out today that dex-cool is bad for any one's car. and i have been using it a lot in last couple of years. and have been fixing my car every so often.

sometimes my car won't even start. i smell antifreeze just driving down the road. Antifreeze leaks.

Original review: June 22, 2008

I own a 2002 Chevy Venture. Over the last 12 months I have had non-stop problems with coolant-related issues. The car first began to overheat and we replaced the radiator and intake manifold. We continued to find coolant leaks and replaced parts as our mechanic deemed necessary. Recently we found out that there is a leak in the head gasket and the repair cost is $2200. We have already spent over $5000 in repairs on this car over the last 12 months and are now going to junk it. (Other problem included replacing the fuel system.) Our mechanic believes that all the coolant problems are related to Dex Cool.

Original review: June 20, 2008

I have a 2000 Buick Regal, currently it is not running. The check engine light has continously came on and eventually the car just stopped. I've spent 500.00 + to have repairs made including the gasket covers and it the light still continues to come on. The catalyst converter seems to be the problem.

I'm wondering if this is related to the problems everyone else is having. I have had to go in debt for another vehicle until I can have it repaired.

Original review: June 19, 2008

I purchased a 2003 Pontiac Grand AM in December of 2002. I have maintained it very well. Last year, around 80K miles, I started having problems with it over heating. I can't list all the things that have been replaced on the car. In February I took the car to a mechanic. He looked that the nasty gooey residue that was left in the cooling unit, hooked up the car to the diagnostic machine, which did not detect that there was a problem with my car, and told me that there was a possibility that there was a cracked head gasket or motor clock. Even if that was not the issue, just to remove the motor was costly. Of course with the way shops are now days, I took it to another reputable shop for a second opinion. Same thing. This repair place stated that several people had brought in their GM cars with the same issue of continuous overheating and that it could be due to a blown or cracked head gasket, or cracked motor block. After searching around, I found a shop that would completely rebuild my motor for the amount that it would be to repair the head gasket or motor block. I had the motor rebuilt. After the repairs, the car ran fine all of 4 days. Back again was the light coming on saying low coolant and the car running hot. Finally I looked online to see if there were any complaints about Grand AM's overheating, and found all these problems that people were having with the dex-cool. Of course all the problems that were listed were the problems I was having. One article I read stated that GM contacted the dealerships and the dealerships were supposed to contact the consumer. It also reported that GM was handling things on a case-by-case basis. I never got any such notice. I now read that GM is telling people, in so many words, SOL.

Original review: June 19, 2008

The original intake manifold gasket design for my 1999 Olds Silhouette 3.6 liter engine is a plastic gasket. At 70,000 miles this gasket deteriorated and I needed to have the replacecd... $1400 Olds service center charge. I recently completed a 1200 mile vacation with this vehicle & now at 104,000 the gasket is again leaking. The design of this gasket is inferior.

Original review: June 17, 2008

I own a 1999 Chevy Venture and have reoccurring problem with keeping antifreeze in the system. I have tried several mechanics to alleviate this problem. My current mechanic has stated that the reocurring problem can be a result of the dex cool coolent. My latest bill will be around $800.00. Is there any reimbursement for me? I am hoping that there will be no more expenses due to the dex cool and I love my venture.

Original review: June 17, 2008

In the early fall of 2003 my wife and I bought a 2002 Olds Alero coupe with the 3.4 V-6 engine, it was a GM Program car with less than 15K miles. The car performed flawlessly until about 40K when I began to notice coolant level dropping over a period of a couple weeks. I simply topped it off. There was no indication of a problem. At 41K, my wife started the car to go to work and the motor made a noise like there was no oil reaching the top of the motor. I checked the oil level--that was ok, so I restarted the engine the noise came back, but it only lasted a few seconds. I called a repair man (not GM) and I drove it to his place. It was there we discovered that the intake manifold was leaking slightly at both ends. However, the noise I described indicated an internal problem. I had him remove the intake, that is when we discovered that the gaskets had failed and allowed coolant to enter the valve line, mixing with the oil and turning what used to be oil into a black, nasty GUNK!! I called GM and all I got was a big run-around. The end result is the top-ed being rebuilt at my expense ($2500.00+). GM said it was a simple part failure and since it was way past the warranty period, they could not help. I have bought my last GM product.

Original review: June 13, 2008

1999 Pontiac Montana - Replaced Air Intake Gasket - Replaced Head Gasket - Replaced Radiator All prior to 100,000 miles, due to Dex-cool. 1998 Chevy Lumina LTZ - Replaced engine due to Air Intake catching fire. At 108,000, due to Dex-cool. 2003 Chevy Impala - System is completely jelled up and need flush. No telling what damage has been committed. At 120,000, due to Dex-cool.

Original review: June 12, 2008

I have a 1997 Pontiac Gran Prix and have had overheating problems since I bought it in 1998. Is there any other coolant I can use besides Dexcool?

Original review: June 11, 2008

DEX-COOL & GM Cars I have a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu with about 80k miles, this vehicle had a tendency to run hot. In Feb 07 I took it to the dealer for a check up and repairs, I was informed that I had a coolant problem. The GM Dealer claims the repairs to the coolant system were repaired. Since that time I have twice had coolant problems which have cost me lost wages, loss of employment not to mention -- money. Recently, I came across an article in Parade Magazine, identifying a Class Action Suit against GM because certain vehicles, of which mine is one, were experiencing coolant problems. Specifically with the Dex-Cool coolant. I spoke with a representative identified in the article and was informed that reimbursement offered did not come close to the actual cost of repairs. As luck would have it, immediately prior to discovering the article my vehicle began to run hot and was in for diagnostics and repairs. The problem identified was a coolant problem which, had over time melted and warped other parts of my vehicle. The cost of these continuous problems has been huge. I lost a position that was very difficult for me to obtain. I lost my only source of income and still, I had to pay the cost of the repairs and am still without a vehicle. In my opinion GM has failed to accept responsibility for what seems to be a manufacturers defect.

Original review: June 11, 2008

over heating, coolant system gone out

had to have rear intake manifold gasket repaired, fixed the coolant system several times

Original review: June 11, 2008

had to replace rear intake manifold gaskets, air conditioner fixed x 2, fixed over heating lots of time and had less than 70,000 miles the first time I started having problems. The paint job has peeled almost all the way off on all these cars.

rear intake manifold gaskets, paint peeling off, air conditioner fixed x 2, loss of radio due to never given a code to enter once the battery was disconected while working on the car

Original review: June 11, 2008

This is not a complaint. This is not a plug for GM. I have worked extensively for over thirty years on General Motors Vehicles, as well as just about every other piece of machinery that we created. Working in the Automotive Service Industry and being a Consumer as well has taught me that a lot of the information given as Manufacturer's Suggested Maintetnance has not been followed by service technicians for the most part, and refused by the consumer. I have found specifically over the years, several incidents of pure neglect on the part of the consumer that accelerates the end of the engineered life of a vehicle. With proper maintenance, I have seen these suspect engines go 500,000 miles. With poor maintenance, well 36,000 to 40,000 miles is a long time. We tend to go after the big guys to ease the pain of our own neglect. Nothing last forever. I realize that it is difficult to make payments on a vehicle, and suffer the cost of maintenance, and the cost of fuel within the same paycheck. Ford has it's 3.8L Head gasket leak problem, due to lack of maintenance, or incorrect installation procedures, as well as Chrysler's numerous leaks and failures with it's we can't decide if we want to be Dodge, Chrysler, Mercedez, Mitsubishi... mentallity. All manufacturer's have their problems, whether automotive, medical, residential, and on and on. However, remember that we the comsumers drive the market. Waste not, want not. It is a matter of supply and demand. Don't put all the blame on THEM. Take a look at your practices. Plainly put,if you don't flush you toilet, it is going to get dirty. Clean it, repair it or replace it. We build them, we buy them, we make a living with them, they carry the most precious cargo in the world, our friends, families, and most importantly our CHILDREN, who can grow up to build a better product, and a better world. SO TAKE CARE OF YOUR VEHICLES! If you can't afford to maintain it, buy a Bicycle. Consequently, bicycles have a maintenance schedule too. Just food for thought.

Original review: June 10, 2008

I purchased a Chevrolet Baretta with a V6 engine new in 1996. Shortly after the warranty expired the cooling system problems began. The intake manifold gasket was leaking and was replaced by the Dealer service Department at a cost of $1000. That was only the beginning. I have went through another gasket repair 5 years later and it's leaking again. I have had a rod knock since the first repair due to coolant in the oil. I have also had to replace the water pump six times along with the radiator and thermostat. That is $4 or $5000, probably more, in repairs and the second manifold gasket happened on vacation that was another several hundred dollars in travel expenses waiting for the repair to get done. The car is now 12 years old I would have gotten another car instead of fixing the 2nd manifold gasket, however like I said I was on vacation and stuck miles away. It is leaking again and for some reason I was looking into another GM car. Never again. This has been a problem with Dexcool and GM since the mid 90's and it continues to be one. In my study of used vehicles I found a lawsuit settlement for the manifold gasket problem. At 40% of $800 it would only be about $300 on $5,000 worth of repairs but it would be bedtter than nothing. Without the original paperwork it is probably a moot point unless I am still in the GM data base for the first dealer repair. Dexcool was supposed to be the 100,000 mile coolant that's if you don't have to replace it everytime the cooling system needs repairs because of it.

Original review: June 10, 2008

STRANDED - My First GM - Original Owner 1999 Cutlass Oldsmobile - Nothing but Grief. I purchased this vehicle brand new. At approximately 40,000 miles I was stranded on the freeway missed 2 days of work and incurred room and board expenses. I was stranded and stuck with due to overheating and had to have the thermostat replaced due to the DexCool coolant crystalizing. A month later I was dumping more monies while still making car payments and had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and another thermostat. I am just beside myself to monitor coolant and overheating. This is just wrong! GM and Dexcool need to Step Up To The Plate take responsibilty for the stress they have caused soooo many people.... Stranded on the freeway 4 different times. Now today I have been informed that I am looking at a repair that ranges from $1800-2500 and if the engine block is cracked a new engine cost. I am now without transportation to work, due to this coolant sludge that is all throughout the engine and the mechanic has informed me of the need to replace the HEADGASKET and that there is potential that the ENGINE may all together need replacement. I spoke with GM today and they blame it on Dexcool. GM has had no problem endorsing the Dexcool sticker on their engine and Endorsing Dexcool as the only coolant to use. I do not have the funds to pay for this extensive repair and I am outraged, this has been an ongoing issue especially as first time owner and an original owner.

Original review: June 10, 2008

i have a 99 pontiac grand am which is told that i was to use dexcool with my car!

i have had 3 blown head gaskets about to have to get a 4th replaced; With the car only having 76,000 miles on it!

Original review: June 8, 2008

I have a 2002 Oldsmobile silhouette,I have since spend approximately $2000.00 to fix dex cool system .Every year I am spenting an extreme amount of dollars on repairs .My engine is over heating again GM said they cannot do any thing about it.

Original review: June 7, 2008

My Chevrolet S10 came with Dex-cool in it from the factory. About 2 years ago i noticed i wasnt getting heat from my vent, when i went to check everything out i noticed a rusty colored substance with a mud like consistancy in my radiator. i flushed it and replaced it with green antifreeze, last week my truck over heated and the problem was even worse this time.

My truck overheated, my heater core is gummed up, replaced thermostat twice, i payed a mechanic to flush the system 3 times and the coolant is still murkey brown. I am probably going to have to replace the heater core, water pump and radiator if this problem continues.

Original review: June 7, 2008

GM Pontiac Grand Am intake manifold gasket has to be replaced at a cost of $900 and the mechanic and blogs say this is a GM problem with Dexcool that GM settled for to reimburse customers affected.

Original review: June 3, 2008

My 1999 Oldsmobile calls for only Dex-cool for the coolant system. it has since turned to sludge despite flushing and renewing coolant. This has built up on my engine parts and I know will soon destroy it due o clogs and erosion.

Original review: May 29, 2008

My 95Chevy S10 truck has given me nothing but problems. First off, head gaskets, then the motor completly blew. I have only had the truck a couple of months. I bought it from another person and about 5months after I got it it blew up on me. I just found out about the claim and would like to be involved if possible. My truck has cost me over 3000 so far for repairs. This is not including the newest engine and installation. Is there any options for me?

Original review: May 27, 2008

I have a 1999 Cadillac El Dorado with 70,000 miles. About 5ooo miles ago I had to start adding anti freeze to the cooling system at regular intervals. According to mechanic it's not unusual to develop a head gasket leak in the northstar engine. If that is so then GM should not have put engine on market. I understand that there is a class action lawsuit pending, is this correct? How does one become part of the suit? Do I have to have the car repaired first? Waiting for an answer thank you

Original review: May 27, 2008

I own a 2001 Chevrolet S10 Blazer. I just spent over $1400 in repairs to replace the heater core and intake gasket. I just recently received a class action suit letter against the DexCool antifreeze becasue it causes these repairs to be needed. My 2001 Blazer however is not included on the list. It stops at 2000. It should include mine as well. I also own a 2004 Monte Carlo that IS on the approved list, but it has not had any repairs yet. It still has low miles. What should I do about it? How can I get my Blazer included in the suit?

Original review: May 26, 2008

I've had several problems with my Pontiac Aztec as a direct result of DexCool antifreeze. I couldn't pass my emissions test due to engine light continuing to stay on. Even after I had diagnostic tests on my car the mechanic still couldn't figure out why my engine light continued to stay on. I ended up spending over $500.00 to get my car repaired so I could pass the emissions test and get my license plate sticker. My engine light was still on. They ended up giving me a waiver due to the amount of money I spent on car repairs. On May 22,2008 I took my Pontiac Aztec to the shop because I was having the same problem and more. My engine light was on and my car was overheating. The mechanic diagnosed my car again and told me I needed my intake manifold gaskets replaced, coolant temperature sensor, themostat and gasket replaced. He told me the cause of my problem was DexCool antifreeze. I had to take a week off of work ,because I have to have an automobile to work, and pay over $800.00 for car repairs all related to DexCool. How can I get reimbursed for my expenses or who do I contact.

Original review: May 22, 2008

I have a 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo, 2002 Chevy Impala and a 2003 Chevy Silverado. I have had to have the water pumps changed on both the Monte Carlo and Impala. I have had the intake gaskets chaged on the Monte Carlo and now it looks like the Impala is leaking antifreeze from the intake. I feel GM should be fixing this as they are using a product that they know eats up gaskets and seals. How long before the Silverado needs the same thing?

Original review: May 22, 2008

I have only had my car for just under 3 years and though my car was used when I bought it I didnt expect to have so many problems. My cooling system has failed more than once, and is currently having the same problem. It will not hold any coolant. My air conditioning is not blowing cold air any longer either. These are problems I keep happening. When i took my car in to hae it looked at and they were checking my coolant they said it looked dirty, rusty, and that it needed to be changed.

After reading about the lawsuit I realized that thia is a common thing with Dex-Cool. I am at the point I just want to trade my car in- if I can considereing I dont know the damages it has caused. I dont have hundreds or thousands of dollars to fix my car. As it is I am paying way to much for the car and the value of that car is nothing. I dont know what to do at this point.

Original review: May 22, 2008

My 1999 chevy Tahoe had the head gaskets redone at 45,000 miles from chevy. I maintain this truck extremly well. Recently my intake manifold gasket let go causing antifreeze to go into the oil which the motor devloped an engine knock(crankshaft bearing. I had a certified jasper installer put in a new engine. I was then told about a class action suit. with dexicool. How do I get invovled with this between the head gaskets being done 2x's and a new engine this has cost me 6,600 dollars .

being with out my car for 8 weeks in total and approx $1,600 for the first head gasket replacement from huntington chevy, $850. for the 2nd head gasket replacement. $4,500 for a complete engine from bridgewater motors.

Original review: May 21, 2008

MY Heater Core is shot due to the Dex Cool coolant which corroded and clogged the core. No Heat during winter.

Original review: May 20, 2008

February 6, 2007 we had our 2003 Buick LeSabre serviced. At this time we were informed that the upper intake gasket was leaking coolant and we should have it repaired. We declined at this time as the estimate was $410.00. The car had 57,006 miles. We were never informed of the Dexcool brand of anti-freeze that was being used in GM vehicles and this product was wearing the manifold gasket. We had our vehicle serviced on 4/30/08 and the upper manifold gasket was replaced. We were still never informed of the problem that Dexcool was causing to the gasket. Our grandson had his Pontiac Grand AM serviced today at a different facility and was told about Dexcool and the problem it is causing to the upper manifold gasket. He was also told to go online and search Dexcool as there may be a reimbursement from GM to have the gasket replaced.

GM should have had a recall on these gaskets or at least informed the owners of these vehicles. We had to pay for the repair/replacement of the manifold gasket and now our Buick has 70,179 miles and GM won't reimburse for vehicles over 60,000 miles. If we'd had known about this problem in Feb. 2006 when the car had 57,006 miles, we could have had it repaired then,prior to the 60,000 limit.

Original review: May 18, 2008

I have a 98 Buick which uses Dex Cool anti freeze. I just had to spend $750.00 for repair, as the buick dealer said my anti freeze was leaking, due to the chemicals used in the Dex Cool used in GM cars. The chemicals had eaten the inner seal, and they had to take many parts out of the car to replace the seal, plus new anti freeze. While waitng for my car which took half a day, two other people came in with the same problem. Is there any way I can get the company to refund the money I had to spend because of their bad anti freeze?

Original review: May 18, 2008

Had to replace head gasket and heater core because of Dexcool ate through the gaskets in radiator.

Original review: May 14, 2008

Hi, All your stories sound familiar. I was adament about changing the oil and taking care of my Pontiac Transport SE Minivan. Adding Dex-cool became a common thing and it was expensive. I kept a mixed gallon in the back cuz it went....where? It is a closed system, or at least it supposed to be. I replaced the radiator at 27,000 miles. The water pump at 45,000 miles. Adding coolant all along. At 102,000 the head gasket blew and I had to buy a new engine. Guess what....I had to continue to add the dex-cool within a week of replacing the engine! I'm totally discouraged. Nancy in Michigan

Original review: May 12, 2008

Subject My Car: Pontiac Bonneville 2003 Purchased new November 2003. I noticed at 3,000 miles that my car's antifreeze overflow tank was low (no leak visible on the ground) I informed the mechanic at Knight's. They refilled the holding tank with the labeled (dexcool) antifreeze. I was told this was not unusal. To my surprise early in 2004 a MFG Bulletin was mailed to my attention. Engine coolant may leak at the upper intake manifold throttle body gasket, or at the upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold gasket. This condition may result in a low engine coolant level & higher engine... I immediately brought my car and this bulletin to Knight's attention. I left the car during my eight hour workday. When I returned they claimed they changed the gasket. However, the overflow tank continued to be low or empty. Every 3,000 miles the oil was changed & overflow tank re-filled by knight's or jiffy lube. Again informed Not unusual. Regardless if my oil change was due or early- each long trip I took I would have an oil change service & holding tank re-filled concerned... as I would ponder to myself why? is that tank never on the labeled line? Presently at 76,000 miles February 2008 I had an antifreeze flush service at another garage Warren Tire in Plattsburgh. I parked the car in my home garage-no visible leak. By May 2008 I had drove the car a minimal 100 miles. I checked the overflow tank and it was empty. I returned to Warren Tire in Plattsburgh. They perform the first that I'm aware a radiator pressure test. Results: Cooling system pressure test, coolant reservoir empty. Advise Customer: Engine has coolant leak between upper and lower intake manifold. Possible gasket. I contacted Parker Chev Olds Pontiac Inc. where I purchased the car in Champlain, NY 12919-4806 518-298-8272 (622 state route 11) I spoke to Matt who inform me that Knight's has made two claims to GMC regarding my car claiming that two gaskets were replaced on two separate occasions. Both times Knight's collected payment from GMC. I feel this is complete fraud! My car is now scheduled to have Parker replace this gasket or gaskets for an out of pocket expense estimated price of $623.09 possible 10% higher if bolts break. They need the car of 1-2 days. Knight's never requested extended time with my car. The service complete by the end of my eight hour work day. Thank you for your time. Maria Haley mhaley@cvph.org

Original review: May 8, 2008

Simply put there is antifreeze in my engine oil due to degradation of the intake manifold and head gaskets by Dexcool Antifreeze.

950 dollar replacement of the intake manifold gasket resulted in a waste of money . The engine is ruined.

Original review: May 8, 2008

I bought the 2003 chevrolet in my name and it is now in my wifes name. it was bought new it is a 2003 impala I was told by the dealer that dex cool had eaten the gasket and now the dex cool is in the oil. And there is nothing that they can do for me. they akso said they have had a number of cars with the 3400 engin. I do belive gm should make the repair as now I have no car and don`t have the money to repair it as the dealer said it would cost 41800.00 TO FIX IT

Original review: May 8, 2008

engine still overheating after repairs! 31,000 mile only Is DEX-COOL causing the problem?

Original review: May 8, 2008

My 2000 Olds Alero has 20,100 miles on it & I've been told Manifold gaskets must be replaced as anti-freeze is leaking.

Original review: May 7, 2008

I had a leak coming from somewhere on the engine, so I took it to a mechanic to be looked at. The intake gasket was eaten away from the Dex cool. I have a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo, with 68000 miles. Is this going to keep happening?

I had to have it replaced. It cost me $400.00 without vehicle for a couple of days.

Original review: May 4, 2008

I have a 2000 astro van w/86000 mi. my intake gasket leaked and my engine is being overhauled. I have dexcool I flushed it at 50000 miles and put prestone in at that time. I also used mobil extended performance, that 6.00 a quart oil. so I am not using either one of them again.

Original review: May 2, 2008

Our 2002 Silhoutte has had over $4,000 in repairs in the last six months at 75,000. The entire coolant system has [gone] out due to the DexCool. First it was the intake manifold gaskets, then the water pump, then the head gaskets, and now the radiator. It's the same problem that everyone else is having. Every independent mechanic in the world knows that this is GM's problem that they caused and are unwilling to admit to and fix.

They claim that it is a perfectly good system, and the whole world knows that they are lying because they don't want to pay for all the premature repair costs. They need to be held accountable, and the consumers need some relief from these exorbitant costs. It's crazy. My family is suffering, while GM lies to us all. Over $4,000 in damages. I have all the receipts.

Original review: May 2, 2008

My 1992 subaru started leaking antifreeze last winter.

I took my 1992 Subaru to the dealer because it was leaking antifreeze. Apparently, the antifreeze, Prestone Dex-Cool, may have damaged the head gaskets and now I am facing a $2000.00 repair bill. The dealer identified the coolant as Dex-Cool right away and indicated this may have been the cause. I bought this stuff because it was suppose to be good for engines with aluminum radiators and I even emailed Prestone and got a return email stating OK to use it in my car.

Original review: May 1, 2008

Dex Cool is continuing to ruin my gasket my malibu is leaking coolant I already had a machanic check it out and I was given an estimate as well as the solution to the problem with my vehical. I have a wife & child & a elderly grandmother whom I am her care giver and I don't know how I'm going to provide for my family with out proper transportation I need a solution to the finances that are going to cover the cost please help?

Original review: May 1, 2008

Dex Cool is continuing ruin my gasket my malibu is leaking I already had a machanic check it out and I was given an estimate as well as the solution to the problem with my vehical I have a wife & child & a elderly grandmother whom I am her care giver and I don't know how I'm going to provide for my family with out proper transportation I need a solution to the finances that are going to cover the cost please help? Thermal break down of the gasket and is slowly leaking coolant its getting worse everyday before I knew about this problem with my engine nearly blew on the freeway from this mind you my family was with me!

Original review: April 30, 2008

Had another problem with our 1999 Pontiac Montana. This is the third or fourth time in recent years the same problem has occured. Vehicle requires Dex-Cool product. Gaskets have detoriated each time . This time, it will require a NEW MOTOR. Gasket problems with the Dex-Cool product, has caused us major repair. Cost this time is over $4000.00,the time prior, $1500, the time prior another $1000 . I think GENERAL MOTORS should absorb the expenses. , since we were told, verbaly and in our Manuel, to use nothing but DEX-Cool.

Original review: April 29, 2008

Went to check about the GM Dex Coolant recall. I have brown sludge in my radiator. They said it was from a bad valve cover caused by the Dex Cool and they can't do anything about it but to contact GM. They also told me that to replave the valve cover gasket would be about $900, but GM will only pay about $400. I'm having trouble trying to join the recall lawsuit...

Original review: April 29, 2008

My intake is leaking due to Dexcool antifreeze. My truck was a new purchase. I am now experiencing antifreeze in my oil. I have always used dexcool when Ive had it flushed they put the dexcool back in. The radiator cap went first.

Original review: April 28, 2008

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Venture. The intake manifold gasket failed in 2002 less that 10,000 miles out of warranty. A $1200 repair. Mechanic told me I'd be back. Guess what? The vehicle is heating up almost immediately upon starting again, so the problem has resurfaced.

Original review: April 27, 2008

I'm a used car dealer, I hate the dex-cool product, it completely ruins alot of the used GM vehicles, maybe they planned it, who knows, I find so many of the GM used cars to have leaking intake and head gaskets, its a real problem!

We had to fix several GM autos with head gasket problems. HOPEFULLY YOUR READERS KNOW YOU CANNOT MIX ORANGE AND GREEN COOLANTS, IT TURNS TO MUCK.

Original review: April 27, 2008

Today I had my temperture gage replaced. I have had my car for 7 years and really never had this much problems. I've used dex-cool only and this year my car reached over 100,000 miles and i am having hugh problems with over heating and my dex-cool running out. I work partime and yesterday I had to take the bus. 3 busses to get home from my partime job. I had the dm dealership checked my car today and the temperature gage needed to be replaced and the coolant reservor. I was told that the cap was not tight enoungh and the temperature gage is leaking. I always trusted gm but thanks to dex-cool. No more.

Original review: April 23, 2008

ive spent about 4000$ because of the faulty dex-cool coolant in my 2001 chevy impala 3.4 and now i think its messin my car up again please help

Original review: April 21, 2008

My 2002 Pontiac Montana is leaking coolant through a gasket. I was told that the Dex-Cool anti-Freeze is the problem. My car was serviced once for this problem already. Now I'm going to have to pay up to $1000.00 for a repair bill. Someone needs to listen to all the people with the same problem.

Original review: April 21, 2008

Dexcool in my 1999 Pontiac Grand AM SE has cost me a lot of money in repairs. I have replaced the gaskets several times, the water pump several times, and have had to flush and fill at least 4 times since owning the car. The gaskets are now leaking again and I have to add dexcool on a weekly basis.

Original review: April 12, 2008

I have a 1997 Olds. 88 that had to have extensive repairs done to it. The bill was almost 1400.00 and I feel was due to the Dex-Cool related problems. The intake gasket and upper intake failed and dumped coolant into cylinders and it locked up and we had it towed to dealer for repairs. I would like to be involved in any settlement from GM in this manner and would like to know who to contact about this. Thank You

Original review: April 11, 2008

2002 Chevrolet Venture intake manifold gasket failed. At the time I was unaware of class action litigation (and potential settlement) against GM regarding Dexcool coolant and gaskets and general problems related to Dexcool.

Original review: April 6, 2008

I have 1996 Blazer that came with the orange coolant. Also, I have purchased a 2003 Buick Century that I have had since November.

My Blazer has always had some sort of problem with it. I replaced the radiator a few months after having it. I have replaced the water pump, a couple head gaskets, and fuel pump. I don't know if the fuel pump had anything to do with it but still it's fustrating. I bought it for 3000 and I have spent the same amount on repairs. After all those repairs, it still has problems. During the hot summer months, it cuts off at every stop light. As for the Century, it was fine until I decided to fill it with Dexcool, after reading the manual. Not long after I put it in, it started running harder and making this ticking noise. It then dawned on me, after hearing the news about Dexcool, that this was the root of my car problems. I am very upset because I have two great cars and this crap has ruined it. Who is going to pay for all this?

Original review: April 2, 2008

Purchased 1998 Pontaic Bonneville. DexCoolant ate gaskets out twice Incurred repair bills to repair heads and engine. Made formal complaint to GM on January 15, 2001.

Original review: April 1, 2008

I have a 2001 s-10 chev. blazzer with 90,000 miles. I've purchased the vehicle in 2001 since then I've replace the water pump around 45,000 miles and just replaced the intake gasket due to losing anti-freeze that damaged the gasket. My mechanic advised me that he has replaced several of these on GM products because of the coolant called Dexcool that GM puts in their vehicles. Superior Chevrolet has always service my vehicle since new and advised me of the leak but wanted a ton of money to fix it. I know GM is aware of this problem but offers no help or willing to honor its warranty. I've been a loyal customer and have always bought chev's in the past and the future chev. purchases are to. My mechanic did fix my problem for now but I'am worried about having more. Is there anything you folks can do to recover my lost money.

Original review: March 31, 2008

Bought a used car damage done to engine and gaskets due to Dex-col coolant. Over $3,000 to repair.

Original review: March 31, 2008

after reading complaints about dexcool causing engine problems why are they getting away with saying they have no knowledge of it ?

Original review: March 31, 2008

I own a 1196 Chevy Blazer built by Gm and have used Dex Cool. I have had to replace many parts and now my engine is gone, making a lot of noise I am either going to have to replace it or purchase another car. I am retired now and living on a fixed income and this has caused me a big headache, because, I am spending money that I can't afford.

Original review: March 31, 2008

Electrical problems and heater core problems and lower intake maniford problems with 2002 Buick Rendevous. The car used Dexcool which GM specifically uses and caused lots of issues.

Original review: March 31, 2008

I have a 04 Grand Prix and my coolant light keeps coming on and going off and my passenger side floor board is always soaking wet. I took my car to O'reilys and they told me that the light has something to do with the coolant. I havent really noticed the difference in temp.. My transmission fluid was leaking and I had the gasket replaced and havent had a problem with that since but my floor board keeps getting soaking wet and wont dry and the coolant light goes off and on when its cold out.

Original review: March 27, 2008

I own a 1998 Chevy Malibu and it now has over 100,000 miles. Recently my car started leaking Antifreeze, I only use dex-cool because thats what the vehicle manual said to use and that is what any automotive place uses when getting my oil changed or a flush and fill. I was told by CarX that I needed to get my intake manifold replaced last year. After reading all all info on Dex-cool, I now know it is the problem. I had the same problem in my 1987 Transam in 1in my 1990 and my Pontiac Grandprix. I will most likely have to replace my water pump as well and get all the dex cool flushed out. hopefully I have not damaged my motor. This is horrible if GM knew this product would cause problems and i hope we the consumer can get our money back that we have spent getting these problems fixed. This saturday I'm taking my car to Car X for them to confirm what needs to be done and what will be the total cost. I cannot drive my car right now for fear that I might blow my engine. this is just not right.

DexCool Company Information