DexCool

About DexCool

DexCool Reviews

Stars Rating

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Suburban?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Suburban?

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Thanks to Dex-Cool, the gaskets and intake manifold had been replaced 2 years ago now have to be done yet again. I had no knowledge there was a lawsuit going on and would love to know how they can continue to sell this product considering the amount of damage it causes. How can you settle a class action suit without notifying every single person out there driving a car that is using that coolant? I certainly was never notified. I am beyond pissed off. I cannot afford the cost of these repairs yet again. Totally ridiculous. The stuff needs to be pulled off the market.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I have had to change water pump in my 2002 Chevy Venture WB Edition and now the car overheats and the Dex-Cool is caking up in the inside of the rod. I am getting ready to flush out the system and put in the green coolant, because it seems to be all around better than the crap Dex-Cool.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

I purchased DexCool antifreeze from the GM dealer this fall and now the vehicle has a seized engine and leaked from several gaskets. This was a very well maintained engine with no problems or no leaks until a couple of months ago. No question, it’s a direct effect from using this product. Also, there was no consumer disclaimer that if you use this product, the damages to your engine are severe. I found online there was a class action suit that affected hundreds of thousands of consumers of this DexCool product, but I guess the case is closed and I will have accept the financial burden myself.

If we don't eat for the next 6 months, our family should be able to afford the repairs. It might make a great diet program for us. I just hope others that are financially strapped won't have to suffer from DexCool and the damages it will cause their vehicles. According to the litigation information, this product has affected hundreds of thousands of consumers. I, however, believe that since General Motors is one of the largest auto manufactures in the world, the more realistic numbers of those affected are more in the millions. Consumers must be warned of this horrible product if is still being sold on the shelves. Thanks.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Dex-Cool has ruined my radiator, water pump and I have a cracked belt. No heat and coolant leaking all over the place. Why is this still on the market and why is GM still getting away with plastering stickers on new cars requiring that they use Dex-Cool? I am absolutely appalled that they continue to get away with this!

There was a class action lawsuit but it is too late as 2008 was the last time you could get in on it. If there is a class action lawsuit and they know about this problem, why are they allowed to continue to do this? I am livid! I cannot afford the repairs to my vehicle and cannot afford to buy a new one. I am caught between a rock and a hard place and cannot begin to explain the rage I am feeling toward this company right now. You wonder why we don't want to buy American. Because of issues like this! It's your own fault that we don't want to buy American and you just guaranteed that I will never do it again. In fact, I did not purchase this car myself. It was my husband's old vehicle. I would never have "chosen" to purchase an American car because resale value sucks due to problems such as this one.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I’m having trouble with the '98 Chevy Malibu. Antifreeze/water in oil. Apparently the Dex-cool is too acidic and disintegrates the gaskets. It seems it also turns into sludge and plugs the heating core, etc. Now, the car is ruined and I am a single disabled parent of two teens who is trying to get/work part time and I have no car.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2012

I had a 1995 Corsica. It needed a head gasket, which the dealership replaced at a cost of over $800.00. I also purchased a 2004 Grand Am that at 80000 miles, needed the head gasket replaced. They replaced it because I had an extended warranty that I purchased. The dealership did not buy the extended warranty so they fixed it because I had my proof that I had purchased the extended warranty. I told them that both sides of the heads were bad, but they said it was only the front. The car stranded me in a snow storm and it was because the head gasket was blown, the one they did not replace. I have only had my car worked on at that dealership. I have paperwork for both cars and all maintenance done at the dealership where I bought the car at.

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2012

I paid $800.00 to repair DexCool antifreeze that's leaking into the engine.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2012

I bought my 2001 Buick Le Sabre (custom) from a dealer used in June of 2011 with 65,000 miles on it. I kept up with regular oil changes and even had a complete tune-up on the car shortly after purchasing it as a preventative measure. I got an oil change at Pep Boys and the mechanic told my husband and I that we should be using Dex Cool in our coolant system and that the reserve was a little low, so he filled it with the Dex Cool and recommended a new water pump as it was leaking and told us to buy Dex Cool and keep reserve full until we replace water pump. We went home that evening and my husband installed a new water pump.

The reserve was still declining slowly. So we had a diagnosis done at Pep Boys and they said we had to replace the intake manifold and gaskets. So we did but not by Pep Boys. A week, yes a week, later the car was acting like it was missing! It was in fact missing and it was diagnosed once again and now they said it was the coils, we then replaced the one that was misfiring. 9 days later (today), it was rattling and acting up once again. Took it to the shop once again only to find out the car needs a new engine and it’s not worth fixing the valve that dropped or the possible piston blown. I want justice!

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2012

I have 3 Chevy Venture. One of them after regular flashing cause of the mud and sludge inside start with no rear heat. After that I changed the thermostat, heat sensor, cluster, water pump, and thermostat again causes of overheating, it improved to no front heat at all. Also I saw piece of what I believe it is a gasket kit in the reservoir, problems getting worst day after day. I think all this hipping cause of Dexcool thing. I paid $400 for these repairs for no heat and suspected blown head gasket.

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2012

Coolant temperature gauge went high but not to the top. Overflow reservoir was filled with heavy brown sludge. Cleaned out reservoir but now coolant is filling reservoir up again and lots of sludge buildup around radiator filler neck. Thermostat appears to be plugged. Will flush the cooling system and replace the thermostat and see if any permanent damage has been done.

Coverage

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2012

In March 2011, my 2008 LaCrosse had no heat. I took it to the dealer where I purchased the car and an extended warranty, only to be told that something was plugging up my heating core and that it would have to be flushed out and coolant replaced for a total cost of $171.00. I agreed under protest, as I felt this should have been covered by my extended warranty. I only had 52,000 miles on my odometer. The warranty book states that Dex Cool (which is the coolant GM uses) is guaranteed for 100,000 to 150,000 miles or 5 years.

In early January 2012, I again noticed no heat; and again, I took the car to the dealer where I purchased it, only to find out again that my heating core is plugged and again needs to be flushed at a cost to me of $171.00. I now have 64,000 miles on my odometer. I asked if the dealer was aware of any problems or if there were any bulletins out regarding this problem, and I was told "no" they are not aware of these problems, only to find out when I went online that GM has been aware of these problems caused by the coolant (Dex Cool) which is GM's coolant.

I want my car repaired so that nothing else happens, because of this defective coolant being used in my car; and I want reimbursement of my original cost of $171.00. I think it's pretty lousy that GM is aware of this problem and turns a blind eye to it.

Staff

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2012

1999 Camaro V6 with 120k miles was losing water internally (intake gaskets leaking). All coolant hoses were soft, weak and about to burst. Heater barely worked. White sludge was present in the system from the Dexcool breakdown. It was apparent the radiator had been replaced before I purchased the car and it is possible the engine had been replaced as well.

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2012

DexCool jelled in the thermostat and it clogged it up! The engine light came on. Only turned over to 59,000 on a 2001 Buick Century. Always had the car in good running order. Consequences are new lower intake gasket set, thermostat and gasket, serpentine belt, labor 5.50 hrs.; new oil filter new oil, coolant flush, new antifreeze, "same Dex-cool". If this coolant jells, it should never be used ever.

Reviewed Jan. 3, 2012

I purchased a 2004 Buick LeSabre Limited, and the last three years, have also had the problem with overheating and spending money to try to fix it. Now, we've come to know that it is not fixable. My heat doesn't work. I was told by the dealer I needed a cluster for the heat, but was not told about the radiator, which I am sure they knew about. Last year, I had the radiator completely flushed, and was told about the dex-cool. I am now having to replace the radiator, thermostat, and hoses replaced to the tune of about $600. I am so upset, as I just don't have an extra $600 to spend, but it is my only form of transportation.

I am having to drive a borrowed car while mine is in the repair shop. Something should be done. Can I now get in the class action lawsuit. The federal government likes to get involved in telling us what to do. They should make GM replace every car that has been affected, since they knew what this stuff was doing to autos they were building, and selling them anyway. I am furious beyond words! I wonder if the dealer would like to have it back? The car is now in the shop, awaiting my being able to come up with money to fix it. What is the justification to fix it, if this is going to be an ongoing repair? I can't afford this car.

Customer Service

Reviewed Dec. 22, 2011

I bought my Ford from a GM dealership used a few years ago, I have had all my servicing done there as well. When I had a coolant hose crack I had them fix it and look over the coolant system. They flushed and replaced the coolant, within weeks I had no heat, my car was sounding funny, smoking a tiny bit. I looked into my coolant reservoir and it was low, it was also orange and I noticed the reservoir had a symbol on it with an orange liquid bottle and a slash mark through it, meaning don't use orange coolant.

I flushed and replaced it thinking this would fix the problem, I also looked into why the dealership put orange coolant a.k.a. dexcool in my car when the symbol obviously says don't. They gave me the runaround saying that shouldn't make a difference and I stuck to the fact that there's a symbol on my reservoir saying no. I took in today and they haven't told me anything yet and are taking quite awhile to get back to me. After seeing this page, I feel more confident in my actions set forth. Do I need to look into this class action lawsuit and if so how?

Reviewed Dec. 19, 2011

All hope is not lost my fellow GM owners. I am the unfortunate owner of a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.4 liter V6 engine. It is important to understand that the problems exist mostly on the V6 motors. Now that's not to say that GM is not a schister, but you can save yourself a lot of time, money, and frustrations. I bought my vehicle used in 2006 with 26,000 miles. I had driven about 10,000 miles before I noticed the same problems as everyone else here: low coolant light, anti-freeze on ground and on block, and a slight hiss after turning car off. Having a basic knowledge of mechanics on cars (my brother has worked on cars his whole life and so has my father-in-law.) I knew what to look for.

On the drivers side or the passenger side you can view the valley of the intake manifold. Where you will look is where the cylinder head meets the intake manifold (there will be 1/16 black strip running down between the two). Where the leak is more prominent is in the middle. It may be a bit harder to see on the passenger side as the power steering pump may block it. If you are trying to replace it yourself make sure that you order the Fel-Pro gasket as the other type is an OEM part (original manufacter part) and will leak again. I first replaced it at 36,000 miles and since I used the OEM part it was leaking again by 50,000 miles. The second time I got the Fel-Pro gasket but this time I replaced the head gaskets as well (ounce of prevention).

It's now at 107,000 miles and guess what... Leaking again... Ugh!! No worries though. Having had it apart twice already, I know how to do it. The problem lies with two things. First, yes, it was the Dex-Cool. But secondly it has to do with the aluminum alloys they use. The cylinder heads use a denser alloy than the intake manifold. What ends up happening is called warping. It happens to the intake manifold because they use a less dense alloy mix. Certainly a shady practice, but fixable. I will say this though, GM's are pretty easy to fix and the parts are usually pretty cheap. I have never owned a foreign car and probably never will. Call me crazy, but I will always drive GM. I do not agree with how they treated you or me but it does not sway me to never buy GM again. Hope this helps ease your disdain for GM.

CoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2011

My 2003 Malibu started overheating so I took it to a service station and had the overflow container replaced and new thermostat installed. Two days later, there was no heat. I brought it back to service station, and was told the gaskets in the engine were covered with rust and sludge, and I would have to have the gasket replaced and they would try to flush the engine. I was told that they do think they can get it all out. This is a very costly repair for me and I do not know if I would ever feel safe driving it for some length of time

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2011

My 2002 Chevy Venture's engine blew up February 2009. This happened during a snowstorm. The van had less than 50,000 miles on it (and cost me over $4,500 for a new engine). I was told by my mechanic that the warranty states that, it doesn't need the radiator flush until 100,000 miles. That is so not true. I do all the proper maintenance on the vehicle (oil changes, tune-up, etc.). I didn't flush the radiator, per the suggestion of the mechanic and dealership (per the warranty). That was a big mistake.

The acidity of the DexCool ate away the gaskets, and everything else that the engine was not salvageable (it was smoking on the road, and had to be towed because it was overheating). I called and emailed someone in Texas that was listed as the lawyer for the class action suit, but never got a response. This is not right, and I should get some form of compensation. At least my new mechanic told me he refuses to use DexCool. He said if he gets a new GM vehicle from the dealership, he wants it in writing that if he changes the antifreeze, it will not void his warranty. The producer of DexCool should be held accountable, and this product should be pulled off the market. Shame on GM for allowing this product to be used in the first place.

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2011

My wife's Buick Century had the low coolant lights stay on all the time, so we had it replaced. But the problem continued. So we had the dealer flush out the coolant, thinking that would solve this problem. Then the tech advised me to replace the gasket (without mentioning anything about the class action or the known major problems) and it would cost us $1600 additional. Well, this car has only 51000 miles as my wife drives it only on rare occasions; to church, the doctors and the grocery store, as she has health issues and is getting older. We called up the local dealer and explained about the DexCool in this 3.1 engine. But he advised us to deal with GM directly. When we called their 800 number, it was all runaround explanations given. We are scared to drive this car as it could add on to the stress my wife is already under.

Reviewed Dec. 1, 2011

My 2002 Impala started leaking antifreeze. I was going through a gallon a week. I used stop leak, but I didn't quite fixed it completely. Now my car is blowing white smoke. I understand that there was a class action lawsuit back in 2008 regarding the use of DexCool that was kept mum from a lot of Chevy owners. Now we are all **. How do you go about starting a new class action lawsuit? I am afraid to take my car to the dealer. I do not trust them anymore nor my local garage. My husband will probably have to miss a day of work to figure out the problems!

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2011

I live in Arizona and have had my 2002 Aztec for 10 years. Just recently, my car started over-heating for no apparent reason. When I took it in the mechanic, he told me it was the Dex-cool that was eating away my radiator and manifold. He told me that there was a class action lawsuit, but apparently that is over with. So, now what? There is over 1,000 dollars of damages. I can't afford the repairs and I will be left with out a car if there is no recourse. Why didn't Pontiac make the consumers, or at least the dealerships, aware if this is an issue so that they could contact the customers they sold Aztecs to?

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2011

Dex Cool is awful! I have had to replace the intake manifold and some elbow hoses on more than one occasion and the problem persists. The Dex Cool was flushed out before the engine even hit 100,000 miles. It did permanent and costly damage to everything it ran through, costing me about $1,500, and the car still won't run right! I think there needs to be another class action suit because this ** has to be pulled from the shelves before it costs one more of us our hard earned money.

I have sank thousands of dollars into a car I cannot even enjoy and right now I can't drive the car or afford to fix it. ** a lot. I hate Dex Cool!

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2011

Dex-cool is the worse **. Why was it used and still being used? For the past three winters, my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix is at the mechanic for the same issue: heat blowing cool air. One winter, he flushed the heater core. The second year, he replaced the thermostat. In March 2011, he replaced the heater core. Now, October 2011, it is back at the mechanic because the heat was blowing cold again! Poor customer care. Shame on GM. I will never, ever buy a GM car again!!! I am done and out of money and time!!!

Staff

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2011

I bought a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix in October 2008. A year later, I found myself replacing the thermostat and some various codes showing up for transmission problems. I had the transmission fixed. In winter 2010, I discover my heat is not working or blowing out at all. It takes 20 minutes to kick on then it blows out cold. I brought my car to a dealer who told me I needed a coolant flush. I paid for the flush to be done. My heat worked for the rest of the winter.

Here it is in winter 2011 and what a surprise, my heat is blowing out cold. I brought it to the dealer again who told me my heater core is clogged up from the Dexcool coolant! I just had flushed and replaced the year before. So now, we need a new heater core and who know what is next. I really think GM needs to take some responsibility on the recommendations for their products. They need to fix these problems that should have been prevented to begin with. Even with knowing all the issues with Dexcool, they continue to put it in all of their new 2012/2013 vehicles. Why? Beware people! GM will not take responsibility for any of your issues with the Dexcool coolant. It is not right. Now, we have to pay for their mistakes.

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2011

I bought a 1999 GMC Sonoma with a V6 4.3 Vortec engine four years ago. I've been having problems. First, my water pump started leaking, so I replaced it. Then I had problems with the transmission, so I fixed it. Then the radiator started to leak, so I bought a new one. Now I notice a major leak from the intake manifold gasket - all of this thanks to Dex-Cool.

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2011

I just bought this car three days ago, and so far, the small elbow that goes from the belt tensioner assembly to the intake busted. So I took it off and replaced both of the small elbows because when it busted, the car almost overheated. I was sitting in my driveway with the car running when it happened, so I looked at the engine temperature gauge, and it was almost right at 260 degrees, which was way too hot! I turned the engine off to find that the elbow was spraying out steam, and I just got done replacing them tonight.

So I was on my way home and the car started getting hot again, around 200 degrees (still too hot), and then as I started driving, it started cooling down. When I got home, I just sat in it watching the temperature gauge, and no less or no more than five minutes later, it was running at about 220 degrees. I'm not sure why it's doing this. I checked the elbows to make sure it wasn't leaking, and there seems to be nothing wrong that's in the obvious. It is a Dex-Cool system; it has it written all over it, even on the engine coolant tank.

Also, when I fixed them, I put a whole thing of antifreeze in the radiator, and it's still getting way too hot, and I have no idea how to solve the problem since I just got the car three days ago. I used to drive a '93 Chevy K1500 with a 4.3 V6 in it, so I know absolutely nothing about this car, and I need a solution. But from what I have researched on this engine, it has a big problem with running hot and the intake leaking.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2011

I purchased a 2004 Chevy Blazer in 2009 and it has DexCool in it and I had no clue of class action suit or that this problem known by the manufacture until this week, my service engine light came on and when I went to have it checked the coolant manifold intake gasket is bad and was hit with a estimate to fix which is not in my budget.

Now, I am left with the choice of doing this high $ repair and hope my engine is not damaged with money I have been saving to be at my soldiers son's homing coming from Iraq in December 2011. When I try to find a way to get this fixed by manufacture I see the class action settlement with a deadline date of October 2008. Hello! It is not fair to those just learning of this problem, we deserve to be compensated for the repairs just as others did. If anyone knows of how I can get help with this please let me know, right away. Thank you very much for any advice anyone can offer. I really want to take money I've saved to go see my son's homecoming since he's been in Iraq since Feb. 2011. Thank you!

Coverage

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2011

I am complaining against GM and Dex-Cool's coolant or antifreeze. I had to replace the intake manifold and have the entire cooling system flushed three times in an attempt to clean out the corrosion and solve the problems on my 2004 Buick Regal. Class action lawsuit can't help me after 2008 and it isn't fair that Dex-Cool should not have to cover all vehicles repaired due to their product! So far, my out-of-pocket expense is already $1,250.00.

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2011

I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 with the Vortec 350 engine, and it too needed the intake gaskets replaced due to the DexCool eating the gaskets. What I did was I replaced the gaskets with top quality Fel-Pro brand gaskets and flushed the DexCool out. And I put in high-mile Prestone 50/50. There are no problems since. From now on, I will always flush out a GM car/truck that has DexCool in it!

Reviewed Oct. 4, 2011

We've owned our 2000 Olds Silhouette van, all for five weeks. It was spent three and a half of those weeks in the mechanics for overheating constantly. We've had to replace the thermostat, radiator, intake manifold gasket and have the entire system bled half a dozen times. Today, it overheated again, 2 days after picking it up from the mechanic. Now, we're told there's probably a crack in the engine and all we can do is replace it.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Oct. 3, 2011

Our 2000 GMC Jimmy began smelling as if it was running hot and it had rough idle going on as well. After the radiator wan cooling system was flushed and new thermostat, spider cluster, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires were installed, it seemed to resolve its issues. Lo and behold, approximately one month later, it all began again. While checking over everything and with engine running at idle, it sprung a major coolant leak on the passenger side of the engine, which seems to be coming from a blown intake manifold gasket, under the area of hose fitting, going to the heater core.

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2011

In June 2011, my Pontiac Aztec overheated which resulted in right head gasket to be replaced. In September 2011, only able to afford one side and not knowledgeable of the problem, the left head gasket all blew this time. I have DexCool in my engine because that is what GM requires on radiators.

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2011

I have a 1995 Camaro with the 3.4L V6. Due to the fact that DexCool was always used in my car since GM recommended it for all their cars, I now have to change the radiator, heater core, all new hoses, and get my heads checked. All because of the clay-like substance that builds up.

Reviewed Aug. 11, 2011

My engine began to run hot. I was told that my engine heads need to be replaced. Because of the difficulty of replacing the heads, it is easier to replace the engine. Dex-cool began to need refilling often.

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2010

I have used Dex-cool in my radiator on my 1996 Chevy Tahoe when I replaced the radiator about two years ago. I did a flush as recommended in my owner’s manual and used the recommended products. Not knowing it at the time, Dex-cool has since caused my heater core to go out which I bypassed and did some damage to the transmission. My truck began to overheat and I just got it back from the shop. They had to replace the radiator, water pump and all the hoses. They showed me where the antifreeze had corroded the hoses which got rubber pieces and debris into the radiator and water pump. It costs about $600.00 and my heater core and transmission still need to be replaced.

Reviewed Sept. 4, 2010

I bought 03 Chevy Malibu. The Dexcool coolant blew seals, water pump and created fuel pump issue. I bought he car in '06 with 34000 miles. It is now at 78000 and several thousands later, I'm waiting and wondering when issue will be fixed. There's also the anti theft issue. The car won't start sometimes or turns off while driving(!) I have to turn the key when it happens, leave it on for 10 minutes to reset and I never know when it's going to happen, just random.

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2010

Problems with Dex Cool. Is it our government wanting to get old cars off the road?

Reviewed July 31, 2010

I purchased a 99 Chevy Blazer that only had had one previous owner and had 53,000 miles on it. The problem was it had Dex-Cool antifreeze in it and it has caused me nothing but problems. I have had to replace the water pump twice; I am on my third radiator, the seals are linking, the gaskets are leaking water, I have to fill the radiator every day due to overheating from the antifreeze turning into a thick, brown, rust color mud that clogs up my thermostat, radiator and everything else it touches shut.

I have taken it to my local Chevrolet dealership to see if I could switch over to the green coolant but I was told no, GM had made my truck one that could only be run with Dex-Cool. GM should be reimbursing the customer for past monies lost and future monies that will be paid out. This is a recurring problem that has no fix. It will eat your motor out and break it down to rust.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

After repeated complaints to my GM dealership lube center about oil always being low, we sought advice from a different service center. That service dept. told me to ask the GM technician to look for oil in my coolant system. Sure enough. There it was. The intake manifold gasket was disintegrating and leaked oil throughout my cooling system. My radiator was full of it!

Now I find out, (after a casual conversation with my neighbor) that there was a "secret" settlement regarding that exact problem (intake manifold gasket), but I would've had to sign on to the class action lawsuit before Oct. 2008. If my GM oil/lube center would've informed me of this common problem, I would've been able to sign up in time to be part of the lawsuit. Now the GM service center is making $1,100+ off of me for repair that should have been covered. The class-action lawsuit ended in 2008, but what are the rest of us supposed to do? Can another lawsuit be filed on behalf of those of us who bought later model cars that continued to be manufactured in this way despite known problems?

Reviewed July 30, 2010

My 2001 Chevrolet Impala has experienced eroding gaskets, oil leakage, cooling system problems for a very long time. I have read where others are experiencing the same problems as I have. Is there a recall or possible claim that can be made against this atrocity? I'm sure GM knows about this but does not want to take a hit from this debacle.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I have had 3 Buicks, and each one of them I had to replace gaskets. Each time the cost was $1000.00. This time I have a 2004 Buick Lesabre with only 3,100 miles and the car is in the shop now. This should not be happening to this low mileage, or this type of trouble. I hope something can be done about this.

I am retired and find it difficult to keep paying for these repairs, plus the inconvenience of not having a car due to the time it takes to fix it.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

GM did not let consumers know that they have a class action lawsuit out in regards to the 3.1 engines. I have a 1998 Chevy Malibue and the Dexcool Coolant tore up the engine. I am calling them weekly to get things since they are going to reimburse me for buying a new engine. So far a mean lady tried to say that the car was old and it is not the issue. The problem seemly occurred before and I put lots of money in the car due to this. I want my money for the engine and I will get a lawyer if I have to.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

DexCool antifreeze. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra with 100,000 miles and diligent with maintenance. The truck was running hot so I took the truck to GM dealership. The GM mechanic said the truck was overheating because of lack of antifreeze, because of coolant in oil, and diagnosed possible heads that are cracked or head gasket is leaking. I was quoted $3500-$5500 to repair.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

I have just learned about the Dex-Cool issue in that it destroys the gaskets in the engine. I have a 2002 Aztec and have had to replace the upper and I believe the lower engine gaskets.

Reviewed June 26, 2010

We purchased my 17-year old daughter a 2003 Chevy Malibu in 2009. The car had very low mileage. At 40,000 miles in 2010, the catalytic converter went out. We took it to Meineke and they informed us that the intake manifold gasket had disintegrated due to DexCool Coolant and that antifreeze was in the oil and the exhaust system. This was a very expensive repair. We called Chevy and they told us that if we had the converter replaced at the dealer, they would have covered it. But the other repairs were not covered. So I guess we are out $1500.00. Never buy GM again!