Chevrolet Transmissions

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Paid last payment last month, May. June 17, on the way home, an exclamation point appeared saying AC off due to high engine heat. Pulled over, notification went off, no check engine light on, engine temp indicator below half way point normal. Half mile down the road indicator light came on, pulled over. Allowed to cool added water. Car would turn over, not crank! Car has less than 80000 miles, never driven more than 100 miles a few times.

This grandma feels betrayed by the Chevrolet company she has always trusted. Dealership says must have been an internal leak. Isn't that what I paid $22000 + finance charge tax and title for? Wouldn't you think that was what that check engine light was for? After all these years of dedication to a product, I feel betrayed. This car is ending up costing me more than $30000. Oh yeah and I had to cash in all my retirement funds for this but had no choice as I can't afford a car payment. Thanks for nothing Chevrolet.

We own a 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo. Ever since we purchased the car it has had issues with the ignition and with the actuators and have had to be replaced a numerous of times. A little over a year ago we started having issues with our transmission. We had that rebuilt since we've constantly been having issues with the traction control. On two different occasions, the car was running fine, I turned it off, ran in the store and came back out and it wouldn't do anything. Not to mention it wouldn't let me have my keys back either, so here me and my small child had to sit in the freezing cold and wait for help. After working on it for over an hr the horns starts blowing for no reason and the car starts right up like nothing was ever wrong.

Well yesterday April 20, 2016 I got up, took my 6-year-old to school and came back out to start the car and go home and all of a sudden my check engine light comes on. My thoughts was, 'Oh this is just great'. Well I went to pull out of the school parking lot then noticed my car didn't feel like it had its normal get up and go then all of a sudden it starts going from park to drive, park to drive then my doors was locking and unlocking then locking and unlocking. My step son put it on a machine and it's saying computer isn't communicating with the transmission is one of the main things then all of these other different things like check this and that. Personally when my car will not go anywhere all of a sudden then it just takes off then it won't go and going from park to drive is a safety issue and should be recalled. Every day my 6-year-old has to get in that car. We have no choice. We expect the consumers to at least keep it safe as possible for us!!!

Car sometimes not starting. Took to Strosnider. Paid $460.00 and the check engine light still on and the tire light. It jerks like transmission to go out. It only has 78000 miles... Been having trouble a while.

I own a 2011 Chevrolet 2500hd. I bought it used and it still had warranty. About four months later I have a check engine light come on and stabilitrak light, also all my safety sensors stopped working. I took to the dealer after some research and ask if they have the part a TCM. Transmission control module expensive but should be in warranty as it is covered for 8 years 80k miles. They need to run Diagnostics. I say "OK" then all the sudden they say it's not warranty work because my emission's warranty only goes to 5 years 50k miles. I asked "Why is that?" They call it a light duty truck. As I stated I bought the 2500hd, "hd" meaning heavy duty!!! The Chevy dealer contacted me that I went to because they think the same thing about the 8/80 and I said I would pay for it to be diagnosed. I drive over with only one gear. Will not change gears at all now and they hear me pull up and it clunk and bang like crazy.

They ask why I haven't fixed it yet and so do the customers around me. I just laughed and tell them if I could get Chevrolet motors to warranty it I would but now I'm hoping they have to get the transmission. Now after putting 200 miles on one gear driving it here and there for Chevrolet customer care for Diagnostics for a simple decision that was in the book should have been clean and clear. I will not buy another Chevy at all. To me it's fraud to print in your warranty book you cover the TCM for 8 years 80k miles and then say "No. Sorry you're out of warranty." As of today. I called the attorney general and am going to pursue this as far as I can. Hopefully get refunded for the parts I have to buy that warranty should have covered.

2012 Chevy Sonic lt - I have had this car for going on a year and a half and have repeatedly been to the dealership for my transmission and keys. My transmission slips and misses gears. Now after I had to get the main seal fixed due to it leaking and the shift cable was not properly put back in so my car lost drive and manual gear. Every time I take it to the dealership they say nothing is wrong. I beg to differ due to the fact my car has red lined and surged trying to find second gear. I have almost got hit due to this issue but still after numerous attempts of asking them to look at it still nothing.

My keys also are are issues in themselves. Again I asked them to fix that issue and got nowhere even though 1 key the car SHUTS OFF while driving and the other won't lock or remote start the car but it has arched trying to start the car without turning the key. I've asked and told the dealer of my concerns and have yet to get any help. I'm in fear of driving this car. It could hurt me or someone else... Help would be very much appreciated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

I bought a 2014 chevy Silverado. A few months later I started having problems with my tranny. I could heard a loud thud coming from the rear of the truck. It even moves the truck. I talked to the local dealership where I purchased the truck. They say it was normal because it had a new drivetrain and a six-speed transmission. The truck is still under warranty and I get the feeling they are not going to fix anything. I wonder if somebody else is having the same problems.

My 2009 Malibu has been at a local Chevy dealership for nearly 2 months waiting for a re-manufactured tranny. I've verified with another Chevy dealership that there aren't any transmissions for my car in the entire US. I've done extensive research and found many transmission problems for the 08/09 transmissions. The warranty was extended to 120,000 miles for the clutch wave plate, my car has 126k. I called Customer Relations prior to towing to the dealership and was led to believe that there might be financial help with the replacement, but only if towed to a Chevy dealership, so I did. Upon being told it needs to be replaced, I called back to CS and was told, no, we can't help you.

About a month ago a replacement came in, they installed it, test drove it, only to find major problems. Chevrolet sent them the wrong transmission. So now my car sits at the dealership, they have no idea of when there might be a replacement, and the original transmission is in a box. I've got a call into Customer Relations (had to leave message for call back). NEVER AGAIN will I buy Chevy. Had headlight that needed replacing, local oil change place spent almost an hour trying to figure it out and couldn't. Had to take to dealer and $150 later, had a new headlight. The bumper, fender and I don't recall what else had to come off to change a headlight!

All my dash lights and reduce engine light are all on truck will not go over 20 miles an hour!! First the blower resistor went so I had no heat or more important defrost could barely see were I was going. It was in the winter. I was scared driving it home. Sooo un-safe!! I replace blower resistor and same day all my lights are on and reduce engine light! I then put in new ignition switch in to find out all is still the same. Nothing changed. I am now being told I might have gotten a bad switch!!

Of course I have to pay out of pocket for all this! Not to mention I put new transmission in this Trailblazer year ago. 3 months later the transmission hose from radiator cracked and I had to put another transmission in it again so it cost me $3,600 for transmission work in 90 days. I still haven't solved the electrical problem.

Consumer Increased Rating!

In a previous letter I wrote to Consumer Affairs, I questioned General Motors loyalty to their long term customers and my premature failure of my 2009 Malibu transmission with 73000 miles. The 5 yr. warranty was expired and after I filed a claim with and posted a couple letters online General Motors agreed to reimburse us 60% of the cost of the new transmission.

The initial replacement cost was $3600, so GM gave us back approx. $2200. Our out of pocket expense for a new transmission ended up only costing approx. $1400. Hey our warranty had unfortunately expired and GM did step up to the plate which I never expected. In conclusion I will continue to be a loyal GM owner. Thank you GM.

Gregory of Coraopolis, PA on

Original Review

I currently own 3 GM vehicles and 1 Dodge. I am proud to be an American and proud to own American made vehicles. I pamper all of my vehicles. We bought our 2009 Malibu with 3000 miles on it in 2010. It currently has 73000 miles on it. In the past we have had minor issues, but were always resolved by GM. Unfortunately the transmission self-destructed at 73000 miles. Well under the 100,000 warranty, but over the 5 year warranty. We are faced with a $3600 bill for repairs. I called GM and I'm told they have filed a claim for my vehicle. I think I know how this story will end with me responsible for the entire cost of the transmission, but hope that GM will assist with the cost of the repairs.

I wonder if LOYALTY means anything to General Motors? Time will tell if I continue to have LOYALTY to General Motors. I can't expect them to pay for the entire transmission, but would greatly appreciate some assistance . I have read many complaints about GM vehicles on many sites. I think GM needs some good PR. I hope I can give them some good PR and continued LOYALTY or I can be among the thousands that have chosen to jump ship for the imports.

I purchased a 2008 HHR LT brand new from Advantage Chevrolet on May 1, 2008 with 14 miles on it. By August of 2008, I noticed electrical issues and shifting hard issues and while I am driving, it will shift out of gear. By November 2009, I've had 2 remotes replaced, computer relays and the Shaft Links replaced along with front struts replaced. That worked for a little while.

On occasions, the car would accelerate on its own like the cruise control had been kicked on. Again took the car into GM, put it on the computer, didn't find anything but they suggested I have the injectors cleaned. More money to be spent. Now March of 2011 comes, my Transmission wont go into gear. GM replaced the Valve Body Transmission to resolve this issue. Well by August 2011, same year and same issues. GM replaces the Clutch Housing on my Transmission to resolve my shifting issues.

In August 2012, transmission is locked up and I barely made it to work. Had the car towed into another GM dealership, a brand new transmission was installed. Had no car for 8 long days and nights. Now it's March of 2014, same issue with my transmission, leaving transmission fluid everywhere I go. I call GM once, again they inform me I have no warranty (after new trans installed a 12 mo or 12k miles warranty only).

Again I'm having the same issues with leaking transmission fluid, hard shifting and unexplained accelerations. But because I have no warranty they suggest for me to buy a new transmission or they will work with me to do a New Purchase. I have only had my car for less than 6 years and have had more down time, bad transmission issues, electrical and unexplained accelerations in speed with this car to date than I even care to look at another GM for the rest of my life. And I'm a GM dependent, I bought a brand new car so I didn't have to worry so much about being nickel and dime to death on repairs or be without a reliable vehicle.

Well that didn't work out so well. I now find out if anyone has a new car to call the Customer Service number to the Corporation of such product to make a Claim and get a Claim Number before you take it to the repair shop. The repair shop will only file a claim or report about a defect ONLY if they have to replace the item, so all those times I took my car in for inspections for issues, there is no record of it. Deceiving the Consumers is the name of the game. I have lost all faith in General Motors Products. Toyota or Nissan is looking more promising.

Why has there not been a class action suit against GM for this problem? Unfortunately people have to die before someone does something. After extensive research this issue has been going on since the early 90's . REALLY!!! Why as consumers are we forced to pay because the vehicle is just out of warranty... My van has 57500 miles on it and the transmission, once the fluid heats up, shifts hard into gears... It's all over the internet with Chevy and GMC owners. There is power in numbers people, so why isn't something being done to help the consumers against this large company who by the way, the taxpayers of this country BAILED out a few years ago when they were going down. Looks like we should have let them fail...

They are failing all of us with this same transmission that they refuse to change or find a way to stop this from happening. GM said because it's not a safety issue (a recall), it's not really an issue... Service bulletins have been issued to dealers about this problem and yet consumers are still paying for it. Last GM vehicle I'll ever own, they don't care about the consumers who are buying their vehicles. They are only concerned about the almighty $$$$$$$. Sad way for GM to do business and they have been getting away with it for YEARS!!!!

I'm having electrical problems with the vehicle. Miller Auto was unable to repair it, sent vehicle to another local dealer, Matthews Auto. Vehicle still remains defective with all sorts of electrical problems. I have a stack of invoices, and have had to spend over $350 of my own money (don't know why my extended warranty was not billed) in the past few months to get my vehicle back from Matthews Auto, and the vehicle is now back in Matthews Auto for repair. I have also spoken with a representative of GM. I need this vehicle repaired or replaced. It died at a busy intersection Monday, and I have children that ride in this unreliable vehicle.

We took delivery of this vehicle (new Opel Astra 1.4T Enjoy) on June 3, 2011, sixteen months to date. Apart from the three scheduled services, the vehicle had been with the dealers for the following: (1) right front shock replaced; (2) water pump replaced (anti-freeze leaking); (3) regular break light warning; (4) replacing brake and clutch sensors; (5) replacing one key as it did not fold; (6) currently, all four shocks need replacing; (7) vehicle is unstable and therefore a risk to drive for me and my family as well as other road users.

I’ve been complaining about the vehicle not feeling (handling, sitting) like it used to for some time now. Recently, the service manager reported a similar sense after taking the vehicle for a test drive. On Friday (September 7, 2012), while driving with my family, I got a huge fright! As I took the right hand bend on Jan Smuts Drive, just north of the N2 west of the old Power Station, the vehicle’s usual sure footedness and composure was nowhere; in fact, it felt like I was at sea, and I nearly lost control. I then took the vehicle to Auto Speed in Goodwood to have the shocks tested. The test report state the following: RF - 69%, LF - 72%, RR - 47%, LR - 44%. I am most concerned about the test result of the newly replaced RF shock vice versa the LF, which is still original RF: LF-- a rapid deterioration from a 100% to 69%.

This brings into question the quality and rating of the shocks fitted on this vehicle. Are they suitable for this vehicle? If so what explanation could be given for the rapid wear? In view of the shocks, water pump, and other irritations, should this vehicle not be checked and reviewed by the GM factory to see whether it is not part of a defective batch? I am currently hearing similar noises to that, leading to the water pump being replaced. If so wouldn’t it be right to provide us with a suitable replacement? Why is an otherwise marvelous product increasingly becoming a pain and a real risk to drive?

I have submitted the test report more than a week now and am still waiting an outcome. This is totally unacceptable. Am I to believe that I have to put up with this, having purchased a new vehicle? The vehicle is fast becoming unsafe to drive. I am an avid Opel fan, this being my fourth; however, given this recent experience, I’m rethinking my loyalties, especially for the price I’m paying. Please note, should this not be speedily (within the next three days of next week) resolved, I will forward my concerns to the bank as well as the Consumer Protector’s Office, as well as I’m having the shocks tested at the traffic department. Opel’s slogan is “We live Autos,” and I would like to believe that. My current experience, however, is putting a massive question mark to that. My concern is peace of mind in the integrity of the vehicle. I’m concerned that warranty cover on the vehicle might be affected. I’m also beginning to hear similar noises that led up to the water pump being replaced.

We purchased a 2012 Camaro (pre-owned) two weeks ago. The very same day we left the lot, the car was having a sputtering or vibration feel when you accelerate. Well, after taking it to the dealership, they couldn't find anything wrong. My husband took it back a 2nd time so the head technician could test it, and he couldn't find anything. So my husband took a test drive with him and the technician said that nothing was wrong with the car, "the transmission just has to get used to the way you drive it." What?! I'm not a tech, but that definitely did not make any sense to me. Therefore, I checked the web to see if anyone else was experiencing this and yes, there were several! All were having the same exact problems with their 2012 Camaro.

I am now calling the Chevy Customer Service because this car is still under warranty and we need to get this resolved. This is ridiculous and I am not understanding why there are so many complaints regarding this. Several people said it was the transmission or the torque converter. GM has the torque converters on back order because they have been having so many programs with this. I need someone to get to the bottom of this. I am very upset, angry, unhappy, and anything else you can think of!

I was driving home and stopped at a stop sign and when I went to go, the engine revved up and wouldn't move. Every time I stopped, I had to put it in park, turn off the vehicle, restart it and put it in drive to get home. I took it to a transmission specialist because I could not drive my vehicle thirty miles to a dealership, where they explained that it had metal shavings in the transmission along with other problems.

When I called Stoops (where I bought the vehicle), they told me the power train warranty conveniently ran out four months before this happened. I have been a loyal GM purchaser along with my family! I am extremely disappointed that I was not offered any help with this problem. I will not be buying another GM product and I will be expressing my disappointment to others.

I was driving my 2002 Chevy Suburban LT 1500 to pick up my brother when I stepped on the brakes. I heard a noise coming from the front brakes when I stepped on the brakes; then 2 miles later when I stepped on them, the front brakes didn't seem to work.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS 6cylinder 4 speed transmission. Transmission lost 2nd and 4 gear with 45000 miles. Cause was a rod that comes loose on these transmissions. My mech says he has rebuilt several of these transmissions in the trailblazers in my area alone. Is this happening a lot and is a recall needed. Est. cost at a GM dealer 2000-2500 bucks. My mech $1020 dollars.

Just a question. I own a 1997 Chevrolet Venture. The transmission is vibrating as it shifts. I began to ask a mechanic about it and he knew the symtoms better than I did. He says Chevy transmissions have a reputation for this problem (it's in the torque converter). Why can't I find more information on this on the internet or on your site or anywhere? If it's a common problem (and expensive) why isn't there more concern?

We really haven't heard many of these complaints. We'd like to hear from anyone else who's had this problem.

Chevrolet Transmissions Company Profile