1.04/5

Last updated: March 21, 2018

240 GM Customer Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 21, 2018

GM does not treat customers fairly. My husband and I bought a 2004 Pontiac used but in great condition. We owned the car for less than 6 months. One morning on my husband's way to work, it went up in flames. Fortunately, my husband managed to get out alive. Two days after it caught on fire, we received a recall notice in the mail. Guess what? The recall was for possible engine fires caused by oil leak onto the manifold. After starting a claim with GM, and being told to keep the vehicle in storage so they can have an inspector come inspect the vehicle, they decided to make us an offer for the vehicle more than three months later.

The offer was for less than half of the vehicle's worth, and they refused to pay for the tow, road clean up (because the car melted to the street) and the storage fees totaling more than $3300.00 because they said it was our choice to have the vehicle towed and stored somewhere. (No one chooses to have their car go up into flames while they are driving it, and when it melts to the street you have no other option but to have it towed by police orders). We only did what we were told to do, and in the end we are paying the price. We are not even getting enough money to cover the cost of the storage so all that is having to be paid out of my pocket when I did not choose for my car to go up in flames. How is that right? I will never recommend GM to anyone, and I will always tell people not to buy GM due to how they do not take care of their customers.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We have a 2011 Chevrolet Avalanche with only 39,000 miles! We are having issues described as follows: When we tap the brakes, the doors activate and then the StabiliTrak light comes on/ service StabiliTrak, reduced power light comes on, check engine light comes on, and the truck idles high and rough and then it starts losing power and is very difficult to go at all. I have taken it to the dealership here WHILE IT WAS DOING IT!!! And they still couldn't diagnose it! Are you kidding? This has been going on for months now.

So I call GM for assistance. UNBELIEVABLE how they will NOT help... at ALL! I will NEVER buy another GM product as long as I live! It is the absolute worst customer service to deal with. They do not care whatsoever. Once you are out of warranty, THAT'S IT! I have read so many complaints here and elsewhere. They are so true!! BUYERS BEWARE OF BUYING ANYTHING GM. If my truck is acting up with only 39,000 miles, GM is junk. YOU WILL GET NO ASSISTANCE FROM GM CUSTOMER SERVICE... AT ALL... PERIOD!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 16, 2018

I went to Beck service department in Palatka to have my transmission looked at on my Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0, it started slipping last week out of OD when going uphill and wouldn't go back into OD, I had to pull over, put the car in park, shut it off, let the computer reset, turn back on then be on way and it would be fine until next hill. My truck shifted smoothly in all gears and sounded fine until I got it back from the transmission check. Now the shifting is hard. Almost impossible from park to reverse and back to park and other gears are hard shifting transmission was not running hot. Now it is and someone apparently used inside driver door panel to yank door closed causing issues there.

Now door sounds like tin can closing when window down, not to mention the vibration it has that it didn't have before bad and when it does shift from park to reverse the whole truck jerks and whining sound, vibration in the accelerator pedal and shaking as if they adjusted the shift linkage wrong but service check was only for that a check $85 but something happened even if it were in the test drive and it was shifted improperly or ran too hard at high RPM. Now the tranny is worse than before. I needed it to hold out for a while but they did it in now. I'm screwed $4000. They say for new one because of tcc and say metal in tranny. But was still drivable. Now not so much, I contacted the service department they are refusing responsibility of doing anything and it is much much worse. Since I picked it up they claim they didn't do anything to the transmission. I didn't have problems shifting before. PLEASE HELP!!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

This is specific to a GMC Dealership but when I reached out to GM Customer Service last time I received no help at all. Overall, I am very disappointed with both of my experiences with Todd ** and will not return for any service. My issues may be limited to the salesman I worked, with but I will never do business with them again. My husband and I have now leased 2 vehicles from Todd ** and have had terms misrepresented and glazed over leading to large unexpected bills. First, we took my wife's Terrain (November 2016) in that we had leased through another dealership to find out my options. We wanted to buy it out since there was some damage we were afraid of paying for. I kept asking what the buy out would look like monthly but was never given the option and told it would be dumb to buy it out as the price was over the fmv.

I was told to not worry about the damage to the previous vehicle and that they would pop out the door ding and take care of the scratches and that they didn't think I would receive a bill. I kept reiterating that this is very important to me as I did not have cash at the time to pay for other things. On top of this we asked about the GMC family discount as to whether it would still apply to us because my grandfather had passed away and we were unsure if we still qualified. Once again, I was told to not worry about it and they would figure it out. I asked worse case scenario that we don't qualify what would the outcome be and was told we would figure it out. My lease term was signed that night including the discount. Upon realizing we do not qualify for the discount the sales agent asked us to pay the almost $1200 difference which I had asked if that would happen and was told they would figure it out.

Fast forward to a month later, and I received a bill for $1300 on my vehicle for wear and tear after being told to expect nothing. I realize they cannot guarantee that we wouldn't owe anything but none of the dings or scratches were even taken care of as I was told they would be. Shame on me for not getting anything in writing but these practices led me to sign a contract on false pretenses. We left saying never again.

Secondly, we leased a Sierra (February 2016) which is now up so we took it to another dealership to turn in and were slapped in the face with what we owed. It was a loaner vehicle which had roughly $5,000 miles on it. (The first Terrain was a loaner so we had experience leasing this type of vehicle.) We were told that the lease was for 10,000 miles a year for 2 years (20,000-mile lease). We kept discussing this as I was afraid 10,000 might be cutting it close for us. Cue the sales representative to sell us the extended coverage allowing $400 of extra mile coverage which equaled to be about 2,000 more miles which they explained meant 11,000 a year so we signed up.

We watched our miles closely through the 2 years and calculated we may still owe around $100 due to an unexpected trip we took that had us a little over the 22,000 total miles we thought we had. Fast forward to trying to turn in this vehicle, we were told the lease was for 20,000 including the 5,000 that was previously on it meaning really, we only had roughly 7,500 a year. This fact was never remotely discussed to us but in a small box in the lease we see that number. I realize we signed the paperwork but how do you tell someone something and agree to terms and then fail to disclose some of the largest facts of the agreement. We also discovered there is a $495 disposition fee that was never discussed. It seems pertinent to me to disclose things like this rather than hide them in a long list of papers that they shove in front of you to sign.

I am also against the survey they hand you on your experience to fill out in front of your sales rep. They hand you a piece of paper saying Todd ** only accepts exceptional here fill this out while I sit in front of you making it extremely uncomfortable to honestly respond. While I understand that there is nothing legally wrong with this, it is definitely not good practice.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Trying to buy a 2018 Chevy Traverse - Sorry folks, unfortunately there isn't a lower rating that I can use for this place. If you enjoy ** style car buying with ignorant, disrespectful and unreliable sales staff (Johnathon) and being addressed as Bro, this is the dealer for you. If you add this with a disrespectful and ignorant finance manager that gets butthurt with your offer and then says he will crunch numbers and call you back and then doesn't call. (Ben I believe), Then hurry up and rush on in for your ** Car Buying Experience. The only thing I can say positive, is that Marcia, a woman I spoke with was absolutely fantastic as well as another salesman named Ben **. Too bad the others I dealt with weren't this professional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: March 8, 2018

I've had a horrible experience with GM customer service. The commercials and information put out by GM/Chevrolet completely contradicts its customer service standard. When my car had an issue I tried emailing and received emails with incorrect grammar from representatives. They asked me to explain what I wanted, when I had detailed a request for a refund and information on the failure in the original email. I then moved on to calling. Their customer service is contracted out and they admit they can't take any action on certain issues. They only provide an address if you ask for a contact at GM. They fully expect you to just give up on the issue by the third phone call. Each tier/level up I went, the person was ruder. I never once raised my voice, but at one point I was trying not to get emotional because the two failures of the part put me in life threatening situations.

I had a part installed on my vehicle by a Chevrolet dealership in 2014 after my car lost power on the interstate. In 2017 the part failed AGAIN. In both situations I was traveling at 65/70mph and the loss of power was immediate. Monica, Charlene, Octavia, and Greg were emotionless the entire call. The dealerships said I had to go through GM to get a refund, and it was a nightmare. I am educated in the legal field, the negligence on the part on GM/Chevrolet is appalling. I have documented everything and filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I hope to have some resolution, as I still believe the car is unsafe. I never once felt reassured by the customer service team.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Buyers beware. I have a 2012 Silverado 3500 Dually with 6.6 motor. Had many issues with this motor but the big one was at 150,000 miles it busted the crank. Yes I said the CRANK BUSTED. I was covered for 120,000 but this was a factory problem but GM would not cover this at all. This cost me 10,000 to put a new motor in. All I pulled with this truck once a month I pulled a RV to LA. So looks like my next truck will be a Dodge.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I recently had an issue with losing antifreeze with no external leaks. I took it to the place that I purchased it and they ran a diagnostic. They were able to find a Service Bulletin that described the very issue I was experiencing on the same engine from 2000 thru 2007 GMC pickups. The heads that were used on some of those engines were manufactured from a company by the name of Castech and there was a flaw in the casting that could cause them to crack and leak coolant.

When I called GM about the issue I was told that although there were no open recalls or GM bulletins about it, they would help in the repairs but I had to take it to a authorized GM dealership to have the actual diagnosis done. They directed me to the nearest dealership to my house and I took the truck in. The shop there took the engine apart and verified that they were the Castech heads. They were indeed cracked, but they also informed me that the coolant had damaged the bearings and that I would need a new engine to the tune of $6500.00. I still owe money on the truck and I can't afford two car payments so I was going to bite the bullet and have them install a new engine.

I called GM customer service to see if they would help with this large of a repair instead of just the heads and they told me that they didn't see any notes about anyone telling me that they would help with anything and that because my vehicle was over ten years old and over the mileage that there was no warranty so they would not help with anything at all. I am 52 years old and I have always owned GM vehicles but now I feel like I was taken advantage of by the CSR who told me to take it to a dealership and then they would help pay for it. The first shop diagnosed it for free but the GM dealership cost me $200.00. You know, I expect that if a company knows that there was a defective part in their product that it wouldn't matter when it failed, they should take care of it. GM has failed me and my family, I guess it's time to look into Dodge.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I bought a brand new Chevy Traverse LTZ in 2012. By 2014, I started having issues with the navigation. Fast forward to the end of 2017, and I have 8 officially documented cases of the dealership and I going rounds with GM trying to fix the same issue. This does not include extra trips I made to the dealership with "hopes" of rectifying the issue. Aside from when the navigation DID work, and would send me off the highway for no reason, just to get back on the highway, or not showing me on any road when I clearly was, or street names not coming up in older neighborhoods, or turning me on streets that didn't exist... The entire system is now inoperable. I get an error on the screen that either says, "Map Disc Error", "Disc Check in Progress", or "Disc Error", to name a few.

Most of the time you can't push any buttons on the screen because they don't work, or you can't turn the navigation screen on at all. I had 2 CDs eaten by "bad radios" too. One of them went to GM when the dealership sent the radio to them. I had no problems dealing with the dealership and I realize that it is not their fault that GM puts faulty parts in their machines, but as a consumer I am OUTRAGED and I just want a working navigation that I paid thousands extra for in the vehicle. It has barely worked even for a short period of time. I went to the dealership 8 times and got a receipt for services... But that does not include additional trips there to have something installed or for a new "diagnostic". I have had my vehicle's radio replaced 3 times and the map disc replaced 4 times.

Every time I call GM Infotainment, the reps are unknowledgeable, unintelligent, and rude. As someone else said on ConsumerAffairs.com, they are not there for the consumer... Every single one I have spoken to shrugs off issues, doesn't know anything about GM products, and makes it clear that they are just answering that phone for a paycheck. Now when I try to talk to anyone, they always resort to, "Go to the dealership. We need a new diagnostic." They don't have a diagnostic from any of my other visits because the dealership doesn't have the correct equipment to test something like this; It's GM parts... They don't make parts. It's a problem with a system or software or something they don't know anything about. But GM also states they can't use any of my previous other "diagnostics" because the error code "could have possibly changed by now."

They also can't tell me if it had changed in the 3 years I've been dealing with this. I've tried talking to what I thought was the legal department of GM, only to find out that everything goes through the Infotainment customer service reps... Who need training on customer service... Who always revert to demanding I go to the dealership for a new diagnostic and that THAT'S their resolution to the issues. They can't tell me if there is a resolution to the problem, if other people have experienced the same issues, or that there is anyone else in ALL OF GM who I could talk to about this.

I've demanded the costs of the navigation system to be reimbursed for the vehicle so I can purchase a GPS, and would also settle for a new satellite radio system so I don't have to deal with the map discs... But I can't get anywhere since everything reverts back to, "go to the dealership for a new diagnostic." I have moved out of state where I was dealing with this, so going to a dealership for something they have no reports of or control over will cost me. I don't think so. This is NOT customer service. I am posting this on ConsumerAffairs, BBB, and mailing it to GM (PO Box 33170, Detroit MI 48232-5170 for those of you who can't find the address). Next steps in the process are getting my own attorneys if I don't hear from the ConsumerAffairs' attorneys first.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Not a happy camper right now at all. Brand new 2017 Chevy Camaro decided earlier this morning it wants, after barely 2 months, to freeze up on my while driving and my steering wheel locked. Could have been in a bad accident, badly hurt and possibly ended up pretty much possibly losing my life. In shock that a brand new car would lose power steering the way my car did while driving this morning.

OnStar service that’s provided to me as well was horrible and took over 2 1/2 hrs to reach me while I was stuck in Daytona Florida. Had to pay an additional $190 to have my car towed back to Carl Black in Orlando, the tow truck company didn’t even take my car to the dealership until later on today when he was suppose to take it as soon as he picked it up. I’m disappointed with General Motors to allow me to get a vehicle that has bad mechanical issues likes mine when I had to put a lot of money down to take home a brand new car and it almost feels like it’s used, from the power steering going bad to the car shutting off to the tire pressure issues. I feel like I was almost sold a “lemon” although it looks new.

Luis, Rick & Brent, were amazing in making my process easy and trying to calm me down as I was more so worried than anything being a young woman stranded in Daytona Florida all by myself… They all 3 went above and beyond to make sure that I was okay with a loaner, etc. however I think the vehicle that was sold to me should be replaced with a brand spanking new vehicle since we aren’t sure if the vehicle that I currently own will end up freezing up on me again while I am driving it. General Motors should be contacted and explained the situation and they should accommodate me being a brand new first time buyer on a brand new vehicle 1st owner and this situation occurred. Carl Black isn’t a bad dealership. The 1 Star is definitely representing GMC, and I am hoping Carl Black will get this resolved ASAP.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

The transmission on my 2010 Terrain failed at less than 52,000 miles and GMC has done nothing to help me. I have never heard of a transmission failing this early on a car that has been well maintained. When I initially brought it into my GMC dealer, all they were interested in was if I had an extended warranty (I did not) and told me if I needed a new trans, it would cost $ 6000 - $ 7000. Not being able to afford that and not being able to afford a new car, I took it to a local trans repair shop and had the trans rebuilt for $ 2750. When GMC was contacted after that to see if they would reimburse at least part of the cost, they told me they only work with their dealers and if I had gone to the dealer "maybe" they would've done something for me.

Clearly they do not stand behind their products. Since they would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say it is normal for a trans to fail this early, that should be all they need to know and they should do what they can to make it right for the consumer. I am with others on this site who have stated they will never buy another GM/GMC product. The really sad part for me is I LOVED my Terrain, until it completely failed and I didn't.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have a 2018 Chevy Traverse High Country and underneath the wheel fender skirt below happens to be a cheap fiber material that is starting to come down on the fifth day that I drove this vehicle and it will become a road hazard issue that needs to be addressed immediately. Which I think in my professional opinion it should have been a hard plastic that repels and prevents water intrusion and moisture from getting in the engine area department etc. Also for the tow hitch you have to remove the plastic panel in order to install a tow hitch that completely exposes the structure of the bumper which it looks awful. It should be a trim nicely around the tow hitch. Also you don't get any TVs nor USB MP3 configuration, the navigation is not accurate.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Bought used 2010 Camaro 12/2016. Timing chain is now stretched out. Back in 2010 GM sent out a service bulletin advising to get this replaced with a better grade. GM now has to replace the 3-timing chains. They told me to have a diagnostic test at their dealer, I had already had one done, brought car to local dealer. Sure enough my mechanic was correct. Code P008 timing chains stretched. Paid $160 for this for GM to tell me "Sorry a service bulletin is not a recall." On real next step is I will try BBB for this is the first very expensive car I bought for my handicap child and this is just not right. Will not give up.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have a 2014 GMC Terrain. I was heading to Cooperstown NY with my 15 year old son for a baseball tournament. I was driving at 70 mph on I87 in the passing lane in a driving rainstorm. I put my wipers on high and they quit working! I got myself to the breakdown lane (SCARY). I tried a couple things to fix the situation but it didn't work so the rain let up and I followed a friend 5 miles to the nearest GMC dealer. There they told me the wiper transmission broke and it would cost 450.00. so I am vulnerable position so I had to paid and had to move on! Now when I got back from my trip I researched my issue and went to dealer that I bought my car and no one could help me (no recalls and my mileage was too high (67000)). I didn't realize that I had my wipers on for 67000 miles?? This part is not a serviceable part and also how many miles have I really used those wipers?

I am more disappointed in GM CUSTOMER SERVICE in how they are handling this. They do not understand the magnitude of the situation! I researched this and in 2013 GM recalled the same things and in Canada GM recalled 2010-2017 Terrain for the same part number and issue. And also my Terrain was mfg in CANADA but once it is driving in the US it is not covered under the recall of Canada! I was looking for complete payment of 450.00. GM CUSTOMER SERVICE DOES NOT REALIZE THAT A LIFE COULD OF BEEN LOST AND 450.00 IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THAT!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have bought 2 Chevy Cobalts and I will never buy another one in my life. First one I bought was about 3 years ago. I was on my way back from GA and a semi hit me and I spun out on the highway and totaled my car. Well my airbags did not deploy. No big deal. No one was hurt. I called Chevy to let them know that the airbags did not deploy. I heard nothing back from them. I bought my 2nd Chevy Cobalt in May. I let my niece drive my car and she pulled out in front of a car going 50 mph. Car spun out hit another car. GUESS WHAT. The airbags did not deploy...

Everyone that was in the car was treated at the hospital. Called Chevy and reported it. LOL. Guess what they said "the airbags will only deploy if they are hit head on." WOW really. So because the car was hit on the side and the back of the car, the airbags did not deploy. Getting hit at 50 mph should have deployed the airbag. But my claim DENIED because they were not hit head on. Thank God that they were not hit head on because I probably would not have my niece, son, nephew or grandbaby. I will NEVER buy a Chevy nor will any of my friend and family. What a joke this company is.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I own a 2013 GMC Terrain. Suddenly my back up camera stopped working. Upon taking it to the dealership I was told that GM had done a systems update and that was why. I said ok update my car. They told me it would be 112.00. I said no. It should be free. It's not my fault or issue. It's GM's. So I contacted GM Customer services. The agent Sheila was not the brightest. She told me if I needed to update my computer I would have to pay for that.

Apparently she does not know that this is not true. That you can do so for free online by downloading drivers. Or if you buy a Tom Tom or Garmin GPS you simply log into their sites and download updates. So where are the drivers for GM's Unexpected updates as obviously a way to make more money off you. This is a PAID FOR FEATURE on a car and should not simply fall off after 3-4 years. They would not pay for it. I will have to ask questions with different auto makers in the future regarding technology based upgrades on cars.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I bought a 2013 Silverado used from Westside Chevy in Katy, TX... After having it several months, the coating on the center spokes of the steering wheel started coming off. The dash cracked on the passenger side of the airbag in 3 places. The white paint is peeling off the roof showing grey primer. Here is the reports from the Service Depts. I was told to have them look at it... The coating on the steering wheel is coming off due to oil in my hands. The dash cracked because of Armor All and my driving habits (I DONT USE ARMOR ALL AND I DON'T GO OFF ROAD. HAHA. I'M 70 YEARS OLD AND DON'T DRIVE MUCH)... The paint coming off the roof was caused by an "OUTSIDE SOURCE"... they wouldn't say what outside source was. The body guy that looked at its paint said he was in it to make money which told me right then he wasn't going to repair it. Worst customer service I have ever seen!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I bought a new Chevy because I was tired of sinking money into my old car, and I figured I would rather have a car payment and a reliable car than put money in my old car. But now I'm doing both because the 2013 Chevy Sonic I have is a lemon. Every month now I make a $300 car payment and I sink money into the Sonic because it's broke down. Last month I pay $900 to have a water pump and radiator put in the month before that it was $250 for the motor for the driver side window. I can't afford this anymore. I am a 53 year old disable single woman who is on SSDI and Chevy will not do anything to help me. This is the 3rd Chevy I've owned in my lifetime. Never never again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I bought a brand new Chevy Malibu LT, and it has been downhill ever since I bought the car! The engine has been re built twice within 20,000 miles. The last incident almost cost me my life and the life of my 16 year old daughter. There has been no resolution, GM won't take the blame and replace my car, the dealership won't take the blame and offers no help! DO NOT BUY A CHEVY! YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I am writing in regards to my recent Service on my truck at Woodlands Hills Ca. GMC. I have a couple things that needs to be addressed. In reviewing the details on my receipt it indicated that they put 9 quarts of oil in my truck. That can't be the case as the truck only holds 6 quarts. In doing a comparison of my 2-15-17 and yesterday’s receipts, I noticed in the inspection of the Brakes Pads does not make any sense. 2-15-17 Brake Inspection noted the front brakes at 6mm and the rear brakes at 5mm. 7-27-17 Brake inspection has the front brakes at 8mm and the rear brakes at 9mm. I have not had my brakes done and the pads cannot have gotten better. They should be more worn. This leads me to believe that the brakes were not check at all. Which further leads me to believe if any work was been done on my vehicle. I was advised I would be give a refund of the 3 extra quarts of oil by the Service Manager. This borders on fraud if not outright fraud.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I have big paint blotches missing from the back of my black 2014 Equinox. I was mistreated by GM even though it is a clear problem with the quality control of their vehicles and it should be a recall. I am within warranty kms and only 4 months out of the stupid 3 year warranty period. I will never stop dissing this company for the poor customer care and the uncaring way they produce and back up their product. I will never buy GM again... 3 year old vehicle with big paint rust spots is not ok with me.

Original review: July 11, 2017

At 9 pm Mon July 10, talked to Kyrie about my Cadillac DTS. The keys keep getting stuck in the ignition, it is all over the internet about all Cadillac keys getting stuck. Pages of it on the net says no recall for it. CANNOT DO ANYTHING FOR YOU. This is the kind of loyalty we should be getting from GM. Got stuck in Niagara. Had to get a tow truck this am to get my battery recharged.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I took my 2015 GMC Terrain Denali Edition (Carport kept - excellent condition) to my local GMC dealer for service. My windshield wipers totally failed during a thunderstorm on a dark backroad at night. But for the Grace of God I wasn't hurt or killed - I had to figure out how to find a pull-off to address the problem. I took it in for service repair to my GMC shop and explained the problem - and also noted that wiper failure is a current problem with other year groups and models.

I received a call that the wiper transmission failed - but due to it not being under recall I will be charged $351. I told them that it is absolutely unacceptable. Wiper transmissions should not fail at 85K miles - considering that I never experienced this type of problem before and have owned high mileage vehicles. They told me they had no power to do anything. I called GMC customer service and they claim they have no power to defer charges. Nonsense. I am lucky that I was not hurt or killed based upon their defective part. Further, GM was bailed out by my tax dollars because they are too big to fail. Well, my windshield wiper transmission was too important to fail, and it still did.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I bought a 2015 GMC Sierra a year ago brand new. It have paint chips everywhere on it and they told me I had to fix it at my own expense. It has 18500 miles on it. I have 2 other GMC here and they are over 10 years old and they don't have any paint problems. They told me when I called in that they would have somebody from the dealership close to me contact me to take it in and have it looked at. Never heard from dealership and CC call and said there is nothing wrong with paint, second thoughts on never buying another GM product.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have been a client of General Motors for 17 years and have bought several of what I believed to be your high-quality vehicles. I purchased an Acadia in 2013. About 2-3 months ago, I noticed that the paint on the hood of the car was bubbling up. I brought it to the dealership, Morrissey GMC, in Rockville Centre, NY. I was told by the service representative that I was no longer covered by the warranty because I had exceeded 36,000 miles, even though I have an extended warranty.

I brought the car to 3 other body shops, and I was told that the bubbling was a result of a defect in the paint. GMC should stand by their product, regardless of the car’s mileage, and repair it at no expense to me because regardless of the age or mileage of the car, the issue at hand is that the paint is defective—which is a quality control issue. In addition, I spoke to a customer service representative regarding this issue, and she said that GMC would not pay for the repair in full, they would cover approximately half of the expense. She refused to send an engineer to examine the car, stated that her decision was final, and would not allow me to speak with one of her superiors.

Why should a client be responsible for a quality control issue, this is an expense that is normally incurred and covered by any respectable corporation. In addition, refusing to refer a client to a superior to resolve an issue is very unprofessional. Isn’t the client always right? This obviously isn’t the case with GMC. Aside from being a longtime client, I have referred people to GMC and purchases have been made a result of my referrals. I can honestly say that I expected better from a long-standing American Corporation that is supposed to pride itself and represent what used to be considered a corporation that set the standard for other American vehicle companies.

Needless to say, I will not be referring GMC to anyone in the future and this letter will also be submitted to the Better Business Bureau as I don’t believe it is in good practice or professional to hold the client responsible for quality control issues, or for a customer service representative to ultimately determine the outcome of any situation when a client asks to speak to their superior.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I bought brand new for my first time a couple of years ago. Last fall I was just under 60,000 km for warranty and noticed rust on my back driver's tail light. True North in North Bay painted it even though they knew their stuff and said the whole back panel should be replaced as the rust is coming from inside out. Anyhow back again in March due to after washing it from winter same spot. NOT EVEN A YEAR OLD REPAINT JOB.

True North stated they couldn't do it for free, they can't guarantee their own work. So called GM and lady was supposed to call back in a couple of days. Called back in two weeks. They couldn't do NOTHING for me. SO called True North because I'm still upset over this, and they said Peter the owner would call me back, this was 3 weeks ago now. Not Impressed!!! cheap paint obviously and how good is that when my friends, coworkers, and family ask where did I get my car and how old is it... Obviously they won't be buying a Chev 2014 Sonic.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I own a 2012 GMC Terrain that is covered by a GMPP. The vehicle is 5 years old and has 28K miles on it. I noticed some mold growing in the carpet. The cause turned out to be a broken drain tube in the sunroof. The GMPP is a bumper to bumper coverage not covering maintenance items or wearables. This part is neither, yet GM refuses to warrant the repair in any way. Anyone who purchases a GM product has rocks in their head. This is my last GM product.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Recurring timing chain problem. GM has replace timing chain two time. Last time app. 20000 mile ago. Went again. Now is out of warranty for a design problem that they refuse to fix. All they can do is replace it until you are out of warranty. Then you are left with a car that you cannot get any or fair trade 2000 to wholesale for parts because of engine 3.6 L. This problem is being treated different at dealers.

Cadillac will repair timing chain on a 1 on 1 case!!! Not the Chevy Equinox 3.6 L same engine. I guess because they pay more for their car. Anybody buying a used GM with this engine should look at car forums to see how many complaints there are. If GM won't stand behind their product knowing there is a problem is bad business. I will never buy a GM vehicle.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I purchased a used 2013 Buick LaCrosse. Never again will a GM product come into my house. This POS has been at the repair shop 13 times in the past year. I have contacted the dealer and GM and all I get is lip service. GM could care less about customer service and customer satisfaction. I have tried to be a reasonable person, but am beyond that now. Just know 13 is a unlucky number and if you decide to purchase a Buick keep that number in your mind. Do not purchase a GM Buick.

Original review: May 3, 2017

So bought a 2011 Cruze 1.4 used. It had only 29000 miles so I thought "what could possible go wrong with purchasing such a low mileage automobile". Well little did I know this first year production in the US would be a bad thing for this car. The engine eats water pumps to the tune of 3 since new, and then it also has used up 2 turbo's as well. A case of poor design I guess on both, and yet customer service does very little but stroke you into thinking they care and issuing you a fancy customer service ticket. As if they will get these problems resolved for you ASAP. Yea, wishful thinking if you think GM will do this for you.

I don't know which has turned me off of GM more, their poorly built automobiles or their terrible customer service. But let's not blame the local dealer here, who faces warranty rejection on claims not approved by GM. So they have little recourse too but to do what GM instructs them too. I definitely will never give GM any more of my business as long as I live. Consider yourself lucky if you get a reliable GM products.

GM Customer Service Company Information