Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.74/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Garmin Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have had to call Garmin with issues with my Forerunner a couple times now. Both times, I had the pleasure of speaking with Jerry, who was so helpful, patient, and thorough-- made sure all my requests were taken care of completely. I would rate my experiences with Garmin Customer Service far superior to customer support I usually receive with other companies. Will definitely continue to support their business, as I felt treated like an individual instead of a consumer. Great job!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Bought an EDGE 810 bike computer 3 years ago. Great help getting it set up and downloading courses. Recently had the ANT+ channel fail. Called GARMIN support. Four (4) days later, I have in my hands a refurbished unit, and their support in reconfiguring, synchronizing my sensors and custom courses. Wish the companies from my other products (Apple for example), had this level of support.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have had a Garmin for at least 110 years. I got my second one about a year and a half ago. I had a problem with the newer unit. The socket piece for the ball & socket joint of the windshield mount broke and didn't hold the unit securely. I expected to have to buy a new one, and searched the Garmin website. I couldn't find it, so I started a chat session. The tech asked me for the serial number of my unit, and told me where to look for it. I gave it to him and he said that they would send a new one, FREE. I got it in about a week. It was exactly what I needed. I would say that it pays to register your device.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My wife and I were going to Great Britain for a month on a driving tour. We decided to purchase the UK and Ireland map SD card for our NUVI to have navigation there. Although it could follow us on the "View the map" mode, it could find almost nothing. Even when we had the address and postal code which in the UK is the building identifier. We did end up using our Android Cell Phone GPS and a AA Road Atlas which worked fairly well. If you own a Garmin Navigator don't expect it to work overseas like it does in the states. Don't waste your money on their map extensions.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I bought my airplane new in December of 2018. It's a Cessna 182T, a truly awesome airplane. It came equipped with the Garmin G1000Nxi avionics suite. Since December it's been in the avionics shop for a cumulative period of about 30 days. The transponder failed multiple times (recently replaced with a rebuilt warranty replacement, I had to pay labor), the traffic collision avoidance system failed twice, and the IFR/VFR chart function failed. Each time I have to fly it about 60 miles to North County Airport (F45) for repairs. The Avionics shop is great (Palm Beach Avionics). I'm sadly beginning to think I have a $40,000 +/- lemon of a product and wonder if others with this system have encountered issues? Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Driving on a 9000 km road trip across Canada and the USA. My Original Nuvi lost its mind about halfway through, so I purchased a new Garmin Drivesmart 61. First thoughts were it had a better bigger touchscreen. Minus was they took away the calculator for some reason. Didn't take long or it to be apparent that this was a poor successor to the Nuvi. It was very slow, and often changed its mind. I would tell you to go to and intersection and turn right, then usually after you had moved over 4 lanes of traffic to do that it would tell you to turn left. It seemed to pick the longest routes possible. (Maybe it was meant for a cab?)

One morning as we approached a main road it told us to turn left. The problem was I could see the desired freeway entrance about 100 yards to the right. The accuracy is no longer anything to brag about. Something like 15m. Most times that would put the turn about 5m past the intersection. This unit was so bad we finally put it away and used maps. Yes, real AAA maps... Much better results.

Final insult when we got home, I tried to update the maps via wired laptop connection because I did not know how long the battery life was. Apparently I got scammed by a very legitimate looking site that had a tech contact me via phone and took over my computer. The guy tried a little too hard to convince me that everything was on the up and up. Then he flashed a DOS screen that showed how many of my drivers were turned off. So many that my laptop should not even been working.

For a fee he could download some software that would fix everything. He also mentioned Maps should be updated every 6 months. Uh Huh, so when I took over control and started to do a live scan he very quickly found a reason to hang up. This is crap. Garmin has to be aware of this scam, and they need to do something about it. What a shame Garmin has fallen so far. When I was an aircraft instrument tech, Garmin was the ONLY brand pilots would use. I feel I have been sold an overpriced, poorly supported piece of junk and intend to take it back for a refund.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I have my Garmin 9 months and for the first 7 months it worked great, but the past two months I am having an issue with calories burned in my workout on the watch matching what I burned on the app. I could burn 527 calories in my workout in the morning, but by the end of the day the app will only show I burned 505 calories throughout the WHOLE day. And it isn't my resting calories as my app shows me active and resting calories separately. I have emailed Garmin on numerous occasions with members advising me to follow all sorts of steps and yet my watch still is not working.

It is obvious it's a glitch in the software to which they ignore every time I mention it. I have had zero help at all from Garmin about my issue and every time I mail them, I have to email a second time for them to even contact me back, asking the very same questions as the previous person did even though it is the same email thread with all the information there. Very poor customer service. I would advise anyone not to buy from this company.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Went on Garmin website to install new maps. I got a website in India that fried my GPS. Garmin said they are sorry but could not fix it so offered me a good deal on another. When I checked online I got it cheaper than what they offered it to me for and when I told them they had my email address so they should have warned me about the Garmin site that fried my 700.00 GPS they said, "We don't do that." What a joke this company is. If they would have sent me out an email I would have saved my 700.00 GPS. Maybe they are the ones that own the website that fries them so they can sell you a new one.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

They had to fix my computer so that I was able to update the Garmin. At a low price they were going to fix my computer and 3 to 5 days I was going to get a a cash back for using PayPal. That was three months ago I don't believe their technical support are honest people. And Garmin has done nothing to help the situation. If you have to update the Garmin every 6 months with a good computer then that makes the unit uneffective.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I have a Zumo 660 that dims at inopportune times and must be manually reset, if you can figure out how to do it in the dim light. It also loses its place on the map. When I asked customer service about this, they basically said I was screwed.

Garmin expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is best known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.

• In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.

• Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.

• Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.

• Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.

• Best for: drivers who need a navigation system, especially parents of young children, and vehicle fleet owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs