Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Garmin Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: June 30, 2020

Garmin fenix 3 HR. Paid over $500. In little over a year started having software issues. It’s out of warranty. To replace for refurbished is $130.00 plus tax. Meaning I will have refurbished watch and it would cost me more than $600. It’s ridiculous. Customer service not willing to work something out and help. So in plain words. In approximately year and half I supposed to spend $650.00 dollars to have refurbished Garmin fenix 3 watch. For this price they should give better warranties of have some better replacements options. Now you can find this watch online for $320 brand new. So decision to make is to have refurbished for $650 or new for $850. Since I already spent $500 year and a half ago. Garmin customer service doesn’t care.

Original review: June 20, 2020

All I wanted to do is to update the maps in my Garmin 61 GPS. Some guy who said his name was John **. Based on his accent, I doubt this is his real name. Before I knew it, he wanted me to sign up for some $799 software I didn't need. In my opinion this is a complete scam. I advise one and all to stay away from John and Garmin Express.

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I bought a new fishing chart, UHD 93sv, and Livescope system with the perspective mount. Spent nearly 3k for everything. I had it installed and it didn't work. The installers told me it was either the cable or cradle was faulty. I called Garmin daily for 4 days, each day spending hrs to get through. Each time they had me doing additional things and updating the new system. After all else failed and a week of wasting time, they decided the cradle or cable was bad and promised to send me new parts via 2 day airmail. Well today is 5 days after they promised and they informed me that they will just be shipping the parts tomorrow. Just be warned how you will be treated and that faulty original parts are common in the package. I won't be buying garmin again.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Impossible to install and Garmin sat nav will send you around in circles. How come a company like Garmin are still in existence? Summary: Stay clear of their products. These products look great but believe me stay clear. Expensive JUNK!

Original review: May 28, 2020

I would like a watch to do what I want it to do. This watch does what it feels like. The face changes to reflect info I am not looking for, nor desire. When I want the time, it shows me how many steps I've take. Pushing the button does change the face to the time, but then it goes right back to steps reading again. BTW, the steps are not accurate. I find it actually measure arm swings. In a market, if I am pushing a cart with both hands, I don't get credit for any steps. If I push with on hand, and swing the arm the watch is on, it does register steps. Next time I'll buy an Apple!

Original review: May 14, 2020

Ordered unit from Garmin direct. Found it cheaper with a 3 year warranty somewhere else. Went to cancel the order 10 minutes after purchase and was denied. Tried to call and cancel it Monday and they said it had already shipped. Called again on Thursday and told them I want to cancel it again. It was supposed to be two day shipping and it's already 5 days from date of purchase. The guy on the phone was rude and kind laughing about the fact that I couldn't cancel the order. Terrible customer service.

Original review: March 8, 2020

Do not purchase this product. There are no instructions. The product does not find the correct address. It gives incorrect navigation instructions for the maneuvers and you cannot configure it to a view that is useful for driving. There is no easy way to contact support without having to spend many hours reviewing incomplete documentation and tracing through a myriad of non-relevant information. I thought this would be similar to an app like on my phone (which is too small to see). I have a great navigation system in personal car, but need to use rental vehicles. Thought this product would be good substitute when using a rental vehicle. I was very wrong. Do not purchase this product unless you have many hours to spend reviewing documentation from many different sources then figure out how the product is supposed to work.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Purchased a Drive 60 LM (reconditioned) for $74.95. Upon receipt I followed directions which eventually took me to phone contact. After 35 minutes on the phone trying to get the unit working they told me I would have to pay $79 for maps for two years or $119 maps for lifetime. Since the add and to statement said "Includes free lifetime maps" I protested. The phone rep was very rude, when I asked to return the unit she said that was not her job. I asked to talk to a manager and was put on hold for 15 minutes before I gave up. I paid $5.25 and $10.90 in shipping and a restocking fee of $11.25. I have tried unsuccessfully to find a way to talk to Garmin. Lost in Iowa.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I have a 2017 Honda Accord and thought it was time to up-date its GPS. Discovered it is a Garmin and went to the computer to download the update as required. Did this and went back to the car with it. After three tries gave up, when the GPS comes on it reads "devise not recognized" (the memory stick). Will see if the dealer can do better.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

During the 1 year warranty, Garmin watch worked just fine. I found it to be reliable and worth the price. However, shortly after the warranty expires, the heart rate monitor stopped working and the battery began to discharge rapidly. I research the issue and learned that these are defects common to Garmin products that have been widely reported for years and unresolved. I wasted many hours attempting to fix a problem and consultation with garmin that ultimately could not be fixed other than by getting replacement watch. When I contacted customer service to request support, they immediately asked me to send $160 for a refurbished replacement and a 90 day warranty.

I would not mind paying for out of warranty service, except that this is a defective product and rather than admit the defect, Garman seeks to charge its customers to replace the watch. I protested lovely enough and eventually got my issue addressed, but it bothers me that a customer paying $800 for a watch should have to go through such a hassle to get an appropriate response. The whole episode left me with a really bad taste.

Garmin author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1989, Garmin is an American electronics innovation and distribution company headquartered in Switzerland. Formerly known as ProNav, Garmin is known for its portable vehicle navigation systems but has expanded its product offerings to include wearable GPS technology, aviation and marine navigation and more.

• Portable options: Garmin is an industry leader in portable GPS systems for consumer vehicles. It offers several options at various price points. Display screens vary between 5 and 7 inches and include features such as lifetime map updates, live traffic displays, built-in dash cameras, high definition display and more.

• In-dash options: Unlike other major navigation companies, Garmin’s in-dash navigation systems are compatible with a broad range of vehicle makes, including Suzuki, Honda, Volkswagen, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota and more.

• Cameras: While Garmin is best known for its GPS systems, it also specializes in vehicle cameras to increase safety on the road. Its cameras come with various features depending on the model you choose, including dash cameras that record in high definition and offer driver awareness warnings as well as backup cameras that enhance rear visibility. It also offers the Garmin babyCam, which allows drivers to monitor their children on the navigation display screen.

• Fleet monitoring: Garmin also offers fleet management devices for customers who own a fleet of vehicles. The in-vehicle devices allow drivers and dispatchers to improve customer service and worker efficiency by combining the navigating power of a traditional GPS with the communication and scheduling capabilities of a mobile device.

• Customer service: Garmin’s devices are sold at many major retailers and dealers as well as on their website, but all Garmin devices are warranted. Customers can contact Garmin customer service representatives through the website or search an expansive Frequently Asked Questions section to get help troubleshooting their devices.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team