Find a Car Brands partner

Ford Cars and Trucks

4.0/5 (1976 ratings)
Find a Car Brands partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Ford Cars and Trucks

Ford makes cars and trucks for individuals and families of all sizes. Read reviews for several of their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Ford Cars and Trucks Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Cars and Trucks?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: March 12, 2007

I was driving down the road when the 1991 Ford Explorer I was driving caught fire. The door locked and I had to climb out the rear window. It burned and cracked the windshield the heat was so intense.

Original review: March 12, 2007

I have a 1997 Ford F250 LD and I also had a spark plug blow out. 3rd cyl. passenger side. Fixed it and 200 miles later blew 4th plug passenger side. Only not so lucky this time the loose plug started a fuel fire and burned my truck down to the axels in 12 minutes. 100% total. BEWARE This could kill you. It went up so fast we lost our cameras ,computer,GPS and just got out ourselfs. would love to share the pictures of my truck with the people from Ford that say there is not a problem

Truck was a total to replace it with a Chevy or Dodge will cost 6 or 7 thousand but I would walk before driving a Ford with alum. heads.

Original review: March 10, 2007

199 ford 350 heavy duty truck,diesel was parked for 3 days and burnt to the ground,ford is denying all claims.app. loss is 16,000.00..

was my work truck,couldn't make payments on it,hurt my credit and familys income.

Original review: March 10, 2007

After stopping for a take-out pizza I parked my 1998 Ford Explorer in the driveway, about 45 minutes later I heard a dull pop outside and asked my wife if she had heard the noise outside. A minute later she was in my sons room a yelled, your car is on Fire. I ran outside to move the other car, while she called 911. My car was a Total Loss.

Not only was my car a total loss, the front of my house was scorched, gutters, trash cans and hose holders were all melted.

Original review: March 10, 2007

My 1997 Ford Expedition 5.4 L with aluminum heads spit out a spark plug. They said $800 to fix it. I went to Smith Ford in Rexburg, ID and they fixed it for $292. The next month, it spit out a second plug, another $392. I am looking for a Toyota now. American auto manufacturers need to stand by their product when it is a design flaw. I see from the internet that it is a common problem, and the dealers admit it is seen frequently.

Original review: March 8, 2007

Arrived at work. About a half hr. later the bldg. fire alarms went off. P.A. system said to ignore the alarm. Then security called me and said my car was on fire. I didn't believe them at first. Went to look at my 1997 Expedition and the engine area was all burnt up.

total loss.

Original review: March 7, 2007

We have an 1999 F350 and have had 2 different spark plugs blow in a matter of 7 months. Of course when I called Ford, they denied knowing of a problem and said it didn't matter anyway because I was out of warranty. About a month after our 2nd plug blew, my father's F150 blew a plug.

SO FAR, we have had to pay $2000. in repair expenses to have both plugs rethreaded.

Original review: March 5, 2007

expedition blown spark plug at 65k, at mechanic now. not sure if threads ruined but prolly are...over 4k to fix? this piece of crap isn't even worth 4k!!!!!!!!!!

Original review: March 4, 2007

We were driving home from Florida when I fell asleep at the wheel. My car slammed straight into the guardrail at 60 mph, spun around, and the driver’s side directly struck the guardrail. Neither the front nor side airbags on my 2003 Mercury Sable went off. My wife broke 3 ribs from hitting the door (side airbags would have prevented), and I was on a walker for a month due to pain in my back and hip.

Original review: March 3, 2007

My 1997 Ford F150 pick up truck had a Spark Plug Blow out.

Original review: March 3, 2007

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar. In Oct/Nov of 2006 I took the car in for repair due to a transmission seal leak. I was told the problem was fixed and returned home. 2-3 weeks later I returned to to have the SAME PROBLEM repaired again. Now 3 months later my car is again leaking transmission fluid by the bucket full (much worse than before).

If Ford was aware of transmission issues with the Windstar it should have made (and should make) every effort to correct the issue and not just leave it to the owners to deal with an issue that should have been addressed long ago. I cannot continue to keep dealing with this car as it has the same transmission issues

Original review: March 3, 2007

I have had 3 of the 4 coil springs break on my 2001 Mercury Sable. It has less than 90,000 miles on it. Ford replaced the front two springs in a recall after one of them broke. one rear spring has been broken for a while, with no apparent extra damage. The other one broke yesterday, sitting in my driveway, and when I moved the car, it damaged the tire.

I've heard estimates of over a thousand dollars to get this fixed, and it's clearly a manufacturing defect.I called the dealer and got no help. I've heard ford blames corrosion for the problem.

That's a red herring, as millions of other cars, like it's predecessor, have never had these problems. I had a 95 taurus with 190,000 miles on it, and no problems. When they redesigned those springs, the blew it, and they should have to pay for the replacement and any damage. Is there a class action suit I can join for redress of my problem?

Original review: March 3, 2007

My daughter was driving my 2001 Ford Ranger pickup truck. For whatever the reason, she has no memory due to the severity of the accident. The truck went out of control and hit the center wall on the freeway. The airbags deployed after almost head on collision with the center wall on the freeway. She was found by other commuters on the freeway and was seatbelted completely in and properly. The seatbelt did not tighten or hold her. She hit the center dashboard, impacted the dashboard and broke it with the left side of her face. How we know this for fact? The dashboard has her make up on it that she was wearing. The airbags deployed after the initial impact. This is noted by the pictures we have and the CHP telling us that she did not hit the airbags. From their opinion, the airbags deployed after the fact. By the small amounts of blood on them and the amount of blood on the seat, we can tell this. We have photos of the vehicle that can document this.

Original review: March 2, 2007

We joined the Ford spark plug club last week. All of the links I find for class action don't work. Between my POS GMC Jimmy (which has had $1000 of non-reimbursed electrical repair in the steering column switches)I've had. Sorry flag wavers I really tried but the incompetence and arrogance of these companies is too much. My beater Honda needs gas and oil...period: and it has way more miles than my Detroit iron. As the RamChargers used to say...Color me gone.

I used a tap with adapter to fix the head (not helio-coil). It takes a newer smaller spark plug now. Got my fingers crossed. Anyone have any experience with the longevity of this fix?

Original review: March 1, 2007

Well I have a 2001 SE many things are going wrong with only 60,000 miles on it: My passenger door won't open from the outside, both windows on the right side of the car won't work, the air conditioning doesn't work, I've had to change the windshield wipers plenty of times.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2007

Went to see if my daughter was at her grandmothers house, parked my 2000 expedition outside. When walking toward my truck saw smoke coming from under the hood, it was on fire. Went to dealer found out about the recall and determined that was wher the fire started, but Ford does not want to pay for my damage to my vehicule even after it knows it was a defected cruise control switch that started.

I have no money to repair it so i have no transportation at the moment. Im so scared hard to sleep at night thinking that i might wake up to a burning vehicule.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2007

Eboney of Tullahoma TN (02/27/07)

Below is a list of all of the major maintanance problems I have had with my vehicle. It is now in a Ford dealership and they have confirmed that the torque converter and solenoid pack have both malfunctioned. 20 July 2004: Picked up the NEW vehicle with only 3 miles on it. On 21 July, the service engine soon light came on and stayed on. A sensor was replaced on 22 July and I was told that the problem was fixed. 31 Dec 04: The ABS light came on and stayed on. I told the service advisor that when stopping, the brakes scrapped and made clicking sounds. I was told that again, it was a senor problem and the speed sensor was replaced. To date, the light does not come on, but I still have the same problem every once in a while. 31 Jan 05: There were vibrations in the front end once I went over 70mph. I was told that I needed to rotate and balance my tires and I did. The vibrations did not stop. The vehicle was also slamming into reverse and would rev up when first started up. I was told that there might be a transmission recall, so I took it back to a Ford dealer and I was told that I needed a transmission additive, but none was in stock. I went back on the 8th of Feb 05 and it was added. 15 Feb 05: The truck was still jumping and slamming into reverse and revving up. I told them that the additive did not fix the problem and the quick fixes are only making the problem worse. I was then told that the solenoid pack was at fault and needed to be replaced. It was replaced and they said that they reprogrammed the PCM. I have taken my truck in at least 4 times for the transmission since 15 Feb 05. Every time, a transmission flush is recommended and done as a quick fix. I don't have the exact dates of those visits because the paper work is in my truck that is back in the shop. 16 Feb 07: OD off light starts flashing. The truck was still slamming into reverse every know and then. 19 Feb it was taken to a Ford dealer and the transmission was flushed along with a oil change. I was also told that now the torque converter was going bad. 22 Feb 07: They confirmed that the torque converter was bad and needed to be replaced. None was in stock, so I would have to bring the truck back. 27 Feb 07: The torque converter was replace, but the vehicle had to be left at the shop because now the solenoid pack would not allow it to shift.

If I would have not had the extended warranty, I would have been stuck with a broken truck that I would not be able to afford to get fixed since all of the current problems cost over $2000. From the very first recall on the Explorer transmission in 2005, I contacted The Ford Motor company, the seller of my vehicle and the lot where I picked it up and told all of you that there was something major wrong with this vehicle. I was continuously stung along until now since the vehicle isn't drivable. Above is only the transmission problems. I have had all 4 motors in the power windows replace, the rear speakers in the doors have shorts in them, the tire pressure gauge was malfunctioning and I have also had all 4 tires replaced.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2007

I was driving home Saturday evening when I smelled something burning. Looking around I noticed out the left rear window sparks hitting the highway from my truck. I pulled over and checked the bed of my truck to find it. I noticed flames underneath the truck between the bed and the cab. Thinking fire and gas tank, I ran and proceeded to call 911.

After reporting it, I turned around and the truck was up in flames. I was out on Highway one between the 101 and Lompoc. The fire truck and highway patrol showed up ,but by the time they did, the truck was halfway melted. The fireperson said it was electrical. It's a 2001 F-150 and I was baffled by what went wrong, only to find out about all this recall cruise control stuff.

The truck is melted. I'm a General Contractor meaning my tools, my business was in it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2007

The entire front portion of my 1997 Ford Contour was on fire. I stood in amazement watching my car get destroyed while awaiting the fire department.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2007

My husband's 1999 Ford Ranger XLT, did not catch fire, thank goodness. But we had a problem with smoke coming from the cruise control stick mounted on the steering column, and a popping sound. It stopped and he hasn't had any additional trouble. But I read the info about the fires etc, so he hasn't been using his cruise control anymore.

I called Ford and they told me the Rangers where not included in the recalls. But from reading the info posted here I don't understand that. So many Fords are being recalled...don't they usually all use the same parts????

I am really worried. Is there still an open investigation to see if more vehicles should be recalled?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2007

We drove about 5 miles to a Home Depot store. Our 1997 Ford Expedition was parked for approximately 5-10 minutes when we heard over the intercom at the store a car was on fire. Unfortunately it was our car but fortunately no one was hurt.

The only other damage beside being scared out of wits was about $1000-1500 in items inside the car that were ruined.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2007

My 2002 Ford Tauras began making an intermittent popping sound. A mechanic checked and said he couldn't see anything wrong with it. As I was driving back to work, it caught fire and burned on the side of the road. The fire department was able to save only the trunk area of the car.

My car was paid for and I could not afford to buy a new one. My parents helped me retain a Toyota. I don't plan to ever drive another Ford.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2007

David Hilton Head Island SC (02/21/07)

2005 Ford 500 caught on fire while driving down I-95 to Florida. Fire started in rear of car. Flames first noticed on back deck behind passenger seat. 4 occupants got out safetly, however car burned quickly and completely.

Suspected gas tank straps from a recall found on your website last year. Confronted Ford Service department w/recall, but told it did not pertain to our car as referenced by its VIN #. Investigation by Insurance Company identified gas tank strap failure. Ford unwilling to talk with us due to claim being filed with Insurance Company.

Besides loss of car, lost several thousand dollars worth of personal property in the form of money, jewelry, clothing, electronics.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2007

Our 2002 Ford Taurus was parked in our driveway. I went to go get an oil change and as I started to back out of the drive, I felt some resistance. I figured it was a small mound of snow, so I gave a little more gas.

I heard a pop, followed by a strange hiss; and now more resistance. I got out and saw the front driver tire was flat. I went to get the spare and found it encased in a half inch block of ice (water must have seeped into the tire-well and frozen) Being Saturday and only 29 degrees, I brought the ice encased spare inside to thaw out overnight. Following day, I jacked the car up and was unable to remove the flat...that's when i discovered the spring had broke and slit the tire. I had never heard of springs breaking before. I had a 15 year old GM and while the springs were a bit 'soft' they sure didn't break.

Ford Roadside Assistance came and towed the car to the dealer. I was confident that the extended warranty we purchased would take care of this problem. I got the call from the service manager the next day telling me that the warranty DIDNT cover the springs. The repair would be 775.00. He also informed me that Ford had recalled earlier Tauruses for this very thing, but for some reason not the 2002 model year. Needless to say I am furious! With only 35,000 miles and 2 payments left what could I do? I paid it.

The total repair bill came close to 800.00 (a pair of springs and a new tire).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2007

i own a 2001 ford escape and when i got up to go to work this morning and went to the garage to leave my car was on fire. i popped the hood and it was coming from the abs brake control box. i had a friend quikly put it out and the wires to the antilock brake system had all been burned and melted. when i did some investigating online i seen that there had been other reports of this happening to the same make and year as my escape. this seems to be a big concern as besides being extremely dangerous...it is also quite costly to fix.

i missed work because of this,my antilock brake system is burned out and my garage was fiiled with acrid smelling smoke.i called the dealership and told them because i wondered if there were ant recalls because of this but they said no. does someone have to die before they do something?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2007

My 2001 Ford F150 blew out Spark plug just like all the rest. Dealer said too bad

No $ to fix

Original review: Feb. 20, 2007

My stupid Ford Focus as of today has had the ignition switch go out for the third time! I have had nothing but trouble since I bought this car brand new off the lot in September of 2000. Two starters, 3 ignitions, 3 batteries, and 2 alternaters! Talk about a lemon but the lemon law I guess does not apply to this stupid car!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2007

Poor paint and blistering of the hood of my 2001 Expedition. At the request of Ford motor Company it has been taken to two dealers, both stated it was a bad priming job that cause the problem. Both dealers refused to repair, because Ford Motor Company said it was only covered for 3 years and 36,000 miles, even though I had a extended warrenty on the car for 7 years and 75,000 miles, which cost me another $1800.

Both dealers said the primer paint wasn't done right at the time it was painted. I took it in when it first started to blister and now it has two spots on the hood, rust is spreading.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2007

My 2002 F-150 began shuddering about 8 months ago. Since then: I've had all the sparkplugs replaced; reoccured and had an engine coil replaced (about 3 months ago); now it's back worse than ever.

Initially, I'd feel the misfires between 40-60mph under light load only. Now, it's all the time -- idling, most any speed and under practically any load. I took it back to a shop and they correctly diagnosed the problem (as my research has shown); but, since the check engine light is not yet on, they can't narrow it down to what plug/coil to replace.

I'll be following the advice to buy a whole set of coils from eBay for $98 and get the shop to put 'em in. But, I fear that it'll all come back in a few more months, and/or a plug will be spit out and the cylinder head damaged.

I followed Don of Omaha NE's advice and called called Ford's Customer Care department to log an official complaint: 1-800-392-3673. After gathering all my information, she asked what I was seeking from Ford at this time.

I referenced this website, many others, and that I'm seeking to log a official complaint, hoping that that will lead to Ford offering a recall due to the large number of vehicles that this applies to. She said indeed that it's just this sort of phone call that could lead to a recall being announced. We'll see... So, I second Dan of Omaha's plea: EVERYONE SHOULD CALL FORD TO COMPLAIN!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2007

1999 ford 350 motorhome burnt cant find attorney to take case fire started in engine compartment

Ford Cars and Trucks Company Information