2. Automotive

Ford Cars and Trucks

Ford Cars and Trucks
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Ford Cars and Trucks Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Cars and Trucks?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: April 10, 2007

My 1997 Ford Explorer was parked outside a local resturant when I was alerted that the interior of my vehicle was on fire and that the fire departent had been called. Black smoke was pouring out of the slightly opened windows when I approaced the SUV. We ultimately put the fire out with a fire extinguisher. Closer examination indicated that the source of the fire came from under the drivers side seat. One of the firemen on the scene speculated that the motor that controls the power seat overheated and started the fire.

I left the SUV in the parking lot overnight and my first call the next morning was to Ford Motor company. Their response was that they would send me a letter in the mail. This letter came a week later and explained that although they would really like to assist me with my loss , there was not a recall on my Vehicle, so they would not be able to assist me.

My insurance company took care of me and hopefully they will also take care of Ford to recoup their loss . I am fortunate that a young child or one of our family pets were not in the car. Also lucky the vehicle did not burn while sitting in my garage. I am putting this out to the public so that anyone else who has the same experience will also speak out and that maybe one day Ford will investigate this instead of overlooking it.

Original review: April 9, 2007

My cold 2000 F250 Super Duty 4dr self ignited in my driveway. Thank goodness I had a hose nearby and noticed the smoke coming out of the driverside wheelwell while walking my dog. If I hadn't my house would have gone up in flames.

My local Ford dealer said right off the bat that it looked like a fire originating at the cruise control.

Original review: April 9, 2007

My local Ford dealer said right off the bat that it looked like a fire originating at the cruise control and gave me an estimate of aprox. $5,000 that they filed with Ford, and told me it looked open and shut and not to worry, they would take care of the formalities with Ford and get back with me and hopefully have my truck back to me in about three weeks. Ford asked for an inspection by a local regional, who took pictures and filed a report to their home office proved to be the begining of my happy ending.

I filed a complaint with Ford's Detroit office about the same time, who inturn spoke with the regional office, who spoke with the regional office and manager again after I filed a complaint with Detoit when it was turned down the first time. Oddly enough when I spoke with the complaint line in Detoit while filing for a review of the decision after being told I was turned down for repairs by my Ford dealer,(who was quite surprised), the lady with whom I spoke with in Detroit was very nice and quite sympathetic, and was kind enough to read back to me the initial report from the field.

I only wish I had recorded my conversation. They admitted the guilt, but questioned whether it was worth fixing. Following my review of Ford's decision not to fix my vehicle, the story changed to the argument that the cause of the fire was indeterminable due to the extensive damage. There was no mention of guilt. My advise from Ford's complaint desk was to turn it into my insurance co.

I was told by the Ford employee that I would most likely be paid for my loss, and you know that Ford and most other car makers, own atleast part of all the major insurance companies, and they would work out some sort of payback as far as Ford was concerned for my damages, but atleast I would be compensated. I told her that I didn't want to involve my insurance co. as it may increase my rates and ratings, and she agreed, but said there was nothing Ford was going to do for me or my truck.

Through all this, I just kept repeating to everyone...all I want is my truck fixed...all I want is my truck back... To this day that is all I ever wanted. The insurance co. totaled the truck and after seven months I may have a chance to to out and get a three or four thousand dollar truck to replace my dependable, beautiful F250...you know the one I bought new...the truck I paid over thirty thousand for...the one I took such good care of...the one I used everyday to earn a living...eeeek

Original review: April 8, 2007

we own a 2002 ford taurus with 53,000 miles on it. it is only driven back and forth to work and on maintained roadways. in february we could hear a rubbing sound at the rear passenger side of the car while backing out of the driveway and pulling forward to drive. on march 10 we took the car into suburban ford to have new tires put on the car because of a special they were having.

on the check list, everything was checked off as okay. around april 2nd the noise from the rear wheel was worse and we took the car to mr muffler to have the brakes checked. instead we were told the rear spring was broken and had worn a groove into the new tire. we replaced the struts and springs $650 later. the next day i went to suburban ford to have them look at the situation. they wouldnt do anything about it because we already replaced the springs with new ones . ended up buying a new tire. told us the spring was the problem for the groove and not a road hazard problem.

mr muffler put the doughnut tire on till we could get a new tire.what do we do next. i see alot of complaints on this spring issue and feel springs shouldnt give out when the vehicle is well taken care of. did ford purchase poor grade steel or inferior products regarding the make up of the material?

now we have to pay for it. i am not happy with how we were handled with this problem at ford dealership.

Original review: April 7, 2007

In early February 2007, the front coil spring on the passenger side sheared while backing out of the garage and the remaining piece of coil tore into the front tire causing an immediate blow out. Fortunately, we were not travelling down the highway when this happened.

Repair took place at my local garage by installing two new coil springs on the front of the car and new tires at a cost of over $800.

Original review: April 5, 2007

I own a 2002 Ford Taurus SE. In January of 2007, my passenger rear spring broke. I thought it was an isolated incident. Less than 3 months later, both my driver's side springs broke. 2 days after I got those fixed, my passenger front spring broke. 4 springs in under 3 months.

$1300 damage.

Original review: April 3, 2007

2002 Ford E350 44,000 miles, #7 spark plug blew out of aluminum head. On 4/3/07 John @ CRC offered $1000.00 w/ 24 hour expiration toward a $2511.00 cost(warranty priced discount) from Dealer.Dealer further offered an additional 10% discount and got a Ford field Rep. to agree to an additional $250.00. So as it stands now I'm still looking at a $761.00 bill according to the Dealer.

Original review: April 3, 2007

Both rear suspensions failed with broken springs in my 2001 Ford Taurus. My wife opened the car to get in and the rear of the car dropped. The car has 66,000 original miles on it. VIN 1FAFP53261A275986

Original review: April 2, 2007

MY 1998 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer Special Edition, that was like new, starting smoking from under the hood while sitting parked in our driveway. Within minutes, it was a blazing inferno. 911 had been called. The flames caught onto our garage. The only thing that saved the rest of the house was our metal garage door. The flames did go up to the family room, which is over the garage, but the house was saved. Had we been in the house asleep, we would have been killed. I called Ford, because many people have now informed me about other stories the same as mine. I had no idea as I had never had a problem. When I went into FORD FIRES online, I was shocked. When I reported what happened to Ford, they said to contact them again if my insurance company says they are liable. I want to take legal action against Ford but don't know how to start the process or what type of lawyer to use. I value my 2 sons lives and my husbands and mine too much to let this go. Please direct me as to what to do. The house insurance company is doing a great job with our home, but for what I will get for our vehicle, we won't be able to get another one as good as we were driving. Hope to hear from you very soon. Gail Wagner Markham, Ontario. Canada

Original review: March 30, 2007

My 2001 Ford Escape had been parked for 2 days (Friday evening through Sunday afternoon) when in the late afternoon hours my alarm started going off. The vehicle was not locked, so the factory alarm should not have gone off at all.

Upon exiting my house, I could see that the alarm in question was in fact for my vehicle and then I saw smoke rolling out of the engine compartment. The car had not moved in 2 days and my brother came to the truck with me. We popped the hood and smoke was everywhere, but primarily coming from underneath the brake reservoir. You could tell by the smell that it was an electrical issue as the wires were melting and burning.

We grabbed a water hose to douse any fire that may have ignited in the area and my brother proceeded to disconnect the battery cables as there was still smoke and we wanted anything that was hot off. I immediately called Mike Davidson Ford, but as it was Sunday I was informed by the receptionist that the Service Dept was closed and that I would have to call back. I live in a somewhat rural area and was afraid that the inexplicable fire would restart in the night and catch the house on fire.

I explained this to her and she said the only thing I could do was call back on Monday. I explained what happened and that I was in a state of panic and she finally put me through to a sales manager. His first question was Is it under warranty and I told him no, it was a 2001. He said he didn't know what to do either and that I would have to contact a Service Manager. I asked him to have a Service Manager call me to explain why my SUV would spontaneously combust after not being driven for 2 days. He had no comment except that He would pass the message on.

On Monday and Tuesday I called several time from work to try to get in touch with someone that could explain something to me about the situation, but I was put (and kept) on hold several times with no answers and I was also hung up on several times. I put the task in my boyfriend's hands as he was home for the week and could better call since I was at work (I work for a Department of Labor contractor). He had the same problems - he was hung up on several times. Finally he called back and started yelling and demanded to talk to a manager.

They finally put someone on the phone that stated that they had never heard of the problem before but that several things could have caused it. They know the vehicle isn't under warranty and said that we could take it to the dealership for them to look at. When asked how to get it to the dealership, they said to have it towed.

No one offered any help or understanding that I now had no vehicle to get me from work to back. Since then, my brother has contacted a friend who works for Ford and he stated that there had been problems with fires caused due to a brake module that was getting corroded and water would get into it and cause vehicle fires. Since then, I have checked the vehicle recalls every day and nothing has been recalled for my vehicle.

Original review: March 29, 2007

Our Ford explorer, Eddie Bauer Special Edition, 1998, was running fine. My son brought it home from work, and 10 minutes later a neighbour came to our door saying it was on fire. We were barely able to get out of our house because of the thick ,black smoke blowing up our driving and into the house. I ran out with my son, and the fire was coming out of the hood and then from under the hood.

We then heard a loud explosion and the thick black smoke and flames were unbelievable. The 911 crew were amazing. Another few minutes and our house would have been gone. Our garage door caught on fire but the Firemen put out the fire before it went into the rest of the house. Now, looking at the Eddie, it is totally melted. Under the front hood it like toast.

THe steering column is melted.

Thank God we are all fine. The fire captain said if this had happened at night, we might have lost everything. House and God knows what else. How could this have happened. What should we do. We have insurance, but Ford should be accountable for this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Gail

Original review: March 28, 2007

Nothing has happened yet. I just wanted to register my name because I own a Ford F150 (1999)

Original review: March 27, 2007

Parked at a local gas/service station, my wife and newborn baby were in my 2001 Ford Expedition, while my other daughter and I went inside the store. I exited the store with my daughter and put her back into the vehicle. I also got into the vehicle and prior to placing the key into and starting the vehilce, my wife yelled that smoke was coming from under the hood of the vehicle.

I turned and noticed a large amount of smoke coming from under the hood. I grabbed my daughter from the vehicle while my wife and had grabbed my newborn and cleared the vehicle. I ran and grabbed a fire extinquisher while another bystandard called the fire department. I was able to extingush the fire prior to the fire department getting there.

The damage is possibly due to a Recall which was initated by Ford for the Speed Control Switch, the point at which the fire started. The vehicle is currently at a local Ford Dealership and is being looked over by the dealer for cost and repair estimates. I have since filed a claim with my insurance company who is curently working the problem.

I was given a Ford Focus by the local Ford Dealer as a replacement vehicle. I have three kids and a wife. This is currenly our only vehicle... My wife and kids are scared to death to even get into the Expedition.

The cost of the damage is more than likely not going to be enough for the insurance company to consider totaling the vehicle. Would I be asking too much for assistance in totaling it, so we can no longer deal with this vehicle?

I'm sure Ford with do their thing and fix problem and whatever the damage that occured, but what about the my confidence in the Ford Product which I now own? If this is unreasonable I would like to know. If you need picture for the complaint please let me know, I took several digital photos of the damage at the scene.

Original review: March 27, 2007

i was driving home, and i noticed it was driving as if it was still in 4wd even though i had switched it to 2wd hours before. all of a sudden, i heard a loud bang and noticed flames coming up the floor board. i jumped out (with my dog) and two neighbors, who had witnessed it, came out with their extinguishers and put the fames out.

one of the firemen thought it was caused in some way involving either the clutch or transmission. my mechanic said it was my fault because i still drove it; however, this had happened before--in fact, every time i go from 2wd to 4wd and then back to 2wd, but after awhile the 2wd functions just fine.

i think it's his fault. but maybe it's ford's fault. the mechanic's dad used to work for ford, he told me once, and they used to refer to the explorer as the exploder!!! now i'm told the car isn't worth fixing, and i'm out $3,000.

Original review: March 26, 2007

my 1996 ford F150 exploded and completely burned to scrap metal after it had been parked in my driveway for over 24 hours. part of the master cylinder blew out from the truck and landed about 20 feet away. I was not home at the time-the neighbors heard the explosion and called 911. they also reported that the engine started by itself during the fire.

Original review: March 24, 2007

I own a 2002 Ford Taurus SEL. As I was backing out of my driveway this morning the front, drivers side spring broke and punctured the tire, which flattened it instantly, and it broke the swaybar link.

I had just replaced the rear springs and struts last week to the tune of $500 + and now I need to replace the front springs and struts plus both swaybar links. These parts cost $424 minus labor. Plus I need to replace the tire. FORD just tells me that the vehicle is no longer under warranty. I cannot afford this. Within a weeks time I've spent $1000 on springs and struts when FORD knows very well that they have a problem.

Original review: March 22, 2007

I owned a 2001 Ford Explorer SUV Two Door. My vehicle lit on fire while it was parked over night in the parking lot of my apt. complex. The fire started from underneath the hood on the drivers side of the vehicle and totalled the SUV. The truck was not on, it was parked for over four hours in the lot, the fire department determined that the fire was not due to arson and that the vehicle had some kind of elecrical short.

The fire department dispatcher mentioned to me that Ford's had this problem in the past and had caused similar problems. My particular model has not been recalled and i feel this is will cause extreme danger to anyone near these vehicles, something needs to be done and ford must be found liable for this hazard.

Original review: March 22, 2007

I have been a proud FORD owner all my life. Until my '02 F150 blew a spark plug for the 2nd time costing me in exess of $4,000. I have been stranded out of town twice with $300 towing bils. I was told by Ford that since there are nor recalls on this problem, it is soley my responsibility and he has only heard of this 2 times. They refuse to stand behind the obvious Manufacturer defective design. This is a very wide spread problem between 99-04 on Tritan V8 and V10. When I talked to the service manager at the dealership I had it fixed at...the first thing he asked was Let me guess, #3 cylendar? I said yes! What does that tell you?

Original review: March 22, 2007

I have been a Ford person for 35 years. Last year my F 250 with the 5.4 blew the back passenger side plug @ about 120,000 miles. It cost over 2000.00 to pull the head and have a helicoil put in. I currently have a 2006 F-150 with a 5.4. I'm alittle nervous. Ford is forceing me to look elsewhere.

Original review: March 21, 2007

I bought a 2001 Ford F150 with 89000 miles on it in December of last year. It now has 104000 miles. This past week my wife and I were driving home from shopping when we were startled by a loud bang. The engine started missing so i pulled over to the side of the road and shut it off. I called the local ford dealer in Center Point and told them the problem, they said it is probably a blown spark plug which is what it turned out to be.

I was given two options, one was to replace the head at a cost of $3000 or to have a heli coil put in the spark plug hole at a cost of $300-$400 I chose the second. This is the first Ford I have owned after switching from driving Chevy trucks for 20 years, needles to say once I pick it up from the dealer ship after the repair I will be sending it down the road after reading all of the problems with the heads.

Original review: March 21, 2007

I have had 2 specific problems with my 2006 Expedition. Two weeks (8/06)after buy the truck I had two fuel injectors go bad. The dealer had the parts and fixed it immediatly. 1/07, I had the truck in for an oil change.

The dealers service department called asking if I had oil all over my garage. Apparently, there both valve cover gaskets along with 3 other gaskets and 1 seal assembly were all leaking. The truck was brought in on 1/19, I got it back 1/24. 3/5/07 while stopped at a light the vehicle started running rough, within minutes the check engine light came on.

I drove it right to the dealer (4 blocks). Service called saying it was another injector I got it back on the 3/6/07. On 3/9/07 I noticed fluid on the garage floor. I took the truck to the dealer 3/12/07, service again called said it was the transmission output shaft seal. I have called Ford with my concerns with the truck as it only has 10,600 miles. I believe there was a problem at the time of manufacture.

Original review: March 21, 2007

I heard through a client of ours at work that the 2000 taurus had faulty springs and Ford was replacing them as the customers complained when they broke. Fortunately enough, I don't drive the car to work anymore (70) miles one way, but my wife does use the car. our vin # is 1fafp5529yg198390--what is ford going to do for us? I think is is very poor business practice to NOT send a notice of the faulty springs out to customers , but to wait for the complaints to come in.,.... we have been buying Fords for years now and will certainly think twice before buying another ford product

Original review: March 21, 2007

Last night at 4 am I was awakened by my daughter who heard a loud noise in the driveway. When I went to the front door I saw that my wife's 2001 Ford Escape was on fire. After the Fire Department put out the fire the Fire Inspector stated the fire had started near the brake booster. After looking on this web site I see that there have been 8 other incidents happening to these vehicles, that have been reported to your agency. What recourse do I have as a consumer against Ford for not warning customers of this potential hazard. I am having to claim this against my Insurance which is going to cause my Insurance to go up?

The vehicle is a total loss and I am going to have to buy a new one to replace it. I can not replace it for the amount that they say my Escape is worth.

Original review: March 19, 2007

I was moving our 2002 Ford Taurus when a I heard a loud grinding noise. I thought it might have been the brakes. I took the car to the dealership the same day. March 17th 2007. I was told that a rear spring had broke and damaged the left rear tire. I had never heard of a recall and I thought a bad pothole might be to blame. I found out on the internet that this has been a problem with Ford/Mercury cars for quite some time. I was upset that I was not informed of this problem. I am scared to think what might have happened if the spring had blown the tire with my wife and daughter in the car. Ford is clearly at fault for not extending the warrenty.

Original review: March 17, 2007

I have just lost my Ford 2001 F-150 truck to a fire. I parked the vehicle in our drive, normally I would have parked in the garage. I was awakened about 6 hours later with explosions from the truck being on fire. I had received 2 recalls and went to local Ford dealer was told they did not have the part to replace the faulty part but that mine was not one of the ones being recalled.

This related to the cruise control. The second time I was told the same thing about no parts and they disconnected the cruise but before I left the Service manager said again that mine was not one of the ones being recalled and to plug it back up. I have contacted Ford and they say they have no responsibility

My truck is a total loss, it completely burned. In fact the fire was so hot that it melted the inside of the front rims.My recourse not is an attorney and hopefully a class action suit against Ford

Original review: March 13, 2007

I own a 2002 FORD Taurus SEL. Both rear springs broke at the same time. I contacted FORD Customer Service on Friday, March 9, 2007 to put in a complaint on this matter. They told me that the 02 Taurus does not have a recall for this type of problem.

I had to have both rear springs and struts replaced at a cost of $521.74. I can't afford this and believe that FORD should reimburse me for a problem that they know about.

Original review: March 13, 2007

My girlfriend’s daughter was using my 2003 F150 SuperCrew Lariat. She was driving approx. 25 miles an hour in a neighborhood when a dog ran out. She attempted to hit the brake but her foot slipped and she hit the accelerator. She accelerated through the curve, went over a curb (that blew out the tire). She then impacted a tree going 35-45mph. The truck hit so hard the whole truck was lifted up, and the rear of the truck was moved to the left approx. 3 ft.

The truck was sandwiched between two trees and had to be winched out sideways so they could hook up the tow truck. Neither of the air bags deployed. The truck frame was buckled in three places. The bed was shifted 4-5 inches back and to the left. There was inner-structural damage to the firewall on the passenger side. How big a tree do you have to hit before the bags deploy?? What is the sensor rating on these trucks and where are they located?

The driver was taken to the hospital. She hit her face on the steering wheel causing severe bruising. She underwent a CAT scan and luckily nothing was found wrong at this point. Her back bothers her as well as her hip. She did have stitches on her upper lip. The truck was a total loss. The passenger just had bumps and bruises. Thank God they were wearing their seat belts.

Original review: March 12, 2007

I was driving down the road when the 1991 Ford Explorer I was driving caught fire. The door locked and I had to climb out the rear window. It burned and cracked the windshield the heat was so intense.

Original review: March 12, 2007

I have a 1997 Ford F250 LD and I also had a spark plug blow out. 3rd cyl. passenger side. Fixed it and 200 miles later blew 4th plug passenger side. Only not so lucky this time the loose plug started a fuel fire and burned my truck down to the axels in 12 minutes. 100% total. BEWARE This could kill you. It went up so fast we lost our cameras ,computer,GPS and just got out ourselfs. would love to share the pictures of my truck with the people from Ford that say there is not a problem

Truck was a total to replace it with a Chevy or Dodge will cost 6 or 7 thousand but I would walk before driving a Ford with alum. heads.

Original review: March 10, 2007

199 ford 350 heavy duty truck,diesel was parked for 3 days and burnt to the ground,ford is denying all claims.app. loss is 16,000.00..

was my work truck,couldn't make payments on it,hurt my credit and familys income.

Ford Cars and Trucks Company Information