Find a Car Brands partner

Ford Cars and Trucks

4.0/5 (1976 ratings)
Find a Car Brands partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Ford Cars and Trucks

Ford makes cars and trucks for individuals and families of all sizes. Read reviews for several of their models:

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Ford Cars and Trucks Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Cars and Trucks?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: May 8, 2007

Another horror story about Ford Expedition's
Mine WAS a 1999,XLT, about 120,000 miles on it.
Never a problem until last Sunday, May 6-2007.

After my wife went on a quick shopping trip to the local supermarket, she parked the vehicle in front of our house. Within about 10 minutes, we hear a loud pop. I looked out the front window and a thick cloud of smoke was coming out from under the hood.

I grabbed a fire extingusher and rushed out to the vehicle. I could not open the hood or get too close to the vehicle due to the flames and smoke that was pouring out. I emptied the fire extinguisher from under the front of the vehicle, but the flames did not go out. I ran to the garage for a second extinguisher and did the same with the same results.

My wife called 911 and by the time the fire department arrived about 10 minutes later, the vehicle was completely engulfed and our house was singed by the flames and heat.

Luckily, no one was injured and the fire was put out in time with minimal damage to our house.
The vehicle is totally destroyed..

Shame on the Ford motor company for producing a product that has this type of life threating defect.

Original review: May 6, 2007

Jamesf Dyer IN (05/06/07)

Driving my 2000 Ford Taurus at 35 mph when I heard a loud clang, followed by a flat tire about 1/4 mile later. Left rear coil spring broke and fractured edge pressed against tire sidewall until it reptured.

As others have found, Ford will only cover the cost of replacing front coils that break, not rear coils. Obviously, the defect in the coil exists reagardless of whether it is placed in the front or rear of a vehicle, but Ford is only forced to recall the coils that break in the front. It is clear that the principle of doing what is right, replacing all the defective coils, takes a back seat to cost in this case. This will be the last Ford product I purchase.

Original review: May 3, 2007

We have a 2003 Ford Escape that within about two years had to have its transmission replaced at a cost of over $3k. Then about a year later, there were more transmission problems at a cost of $1500. The car started smoking last week and we now need another transmission at a cost of approx. $3k. Apparently, Ford has lots of problems with their transmissions, and they offer no help. We took the car into AAMCO which replaced the transmission initially only to have it now need another one! We do not trust AAMCO now either as they too say, "Too bad; your first warranty ran out, so you have to pay again."

Original review: May 2, 2007

On June 30,1999, my 1995 Ford F150 caught on fire at 11:15pm.after being parked in our driveway for at least 7 hours. Our son heard the loud explosion and came running into our bedroom to tell us that there was a fire in our driveway and he had heard a loud explosion.

When my wife and I ran out side, we saw our truck and front of our home totally engulfed in flames. We called 9-1-1. Fire rescue came out and put the fire out and started an investigation.

The report from the fire inspector stated that it was an electrical fire. Not only did this cost us $2000.00 in deductables,but we only got $9000.00 for a truck that was worth $12,000.00 and then we were charged for it.

The insurance company would not allow us to change insurance companys because of the claim and also increased our rates in order to pay back the money that they did give us!

Not only was the driveway and the front of the house damaged but so was the carpet in the house and the walls were smoke damaged. We were treated like criminals,and even asked by the insurance agent if WE started the fire on purpose!

I was totally appauled by such accusations. We kept the truck in showroom condition. I have never gotten any kind of letter from Ford acknowledging the problem or letting us know of any recalls.

I feel as though I should be compensated for the losses that we experience and the Ford Motor Company should stand up and take responability for their faulty vehicles, afterall, they didn't have a problem taking my money when I bought the truck! Many pictures were taken of the remains and damage.

Original review: April 30, 2007

I was sitting in my 2001 Ford Taurus, at McDonalds having breakfast when I heard a pop and the rear of my car dropped a couple of inches. I drove 6 miles home and took off the left rear tire and found a groove in it from a broked spring. The spring has been broken for awhile as both ends were rusted. I guess it finally decided to come out of its cup/nest that it is supposed to rest in and protruded into my tire. My wife refuses to drive the car now until the situation is resolved and my son also has a broken front coil spring on his Taurus that he is trying to get replaced by Ford.

Original review: April 29, 2007

I couldn't turn the key to the ignition on my 2004 Ford Focus, and the car had to be towed to a dealership. I see I'm not the only one with this problem. This is an outrage.

Original review: April 28, 2007

Last night around 11:00 pm our 1998 2-door Ford Explorer caught fire for no apparent reason. It had been sitting in the drive way for around 8 hours. Luckily, it was not parked in the garage. However, it was parked next to the house causing extensive damage to the vinyl siding and wiring. Our neighbors came running across the street beating on our door in order to wake us up and alert us that our vehicle was on fire. By the time the fire department arrived, there was nothing left to the vehicle except for the frame. We are left with a horrible mess!! You never expect something like this to happen to you!

Original review: April 28, 2007

My 2000 Ford expedition caught on fire in the middle of the night. It was a total loss. We called Ford to let them know what happen and they just took our statement and said that there's nothing they can do to help us. We fire report states that the fire started under the hood in the engine compartment and that it was mechanical. We had no idea Ford Expeditions had fire problems, if we knew we would've never bought the truck. Our expedition was sold to us with a major defective part that could have killed us and for that somebody should pay. This was my family car where we transport our kids, they put all of us in danger. We unknowingly bought a fire hazard now we're going thru financial hardship because of it.

Original review: April 28, 2007

Ford Ranger was purchased from Yonkers Ford dealership. The accident with my Ford Ranger truck occurred on the Interstate Highway 84 coming from Hartford, Connecticut on 4/29/07. I fell asleep at the wheel, hit the Exit sign asleep head-on with failure of the driver side airbag to deploy. The truck is now totaled with severe damage to passenger and driver front and sides.

Original review: April 27, 2007

I own a 2000 Ford F-150. I walked outside and my truck was on fire under the hood. I was able to get the fire out, but the Ford dealership said its going to take atleast $5,300 or more to fix just the mechanical and wiring damage. I have not got a price on the body damage. The fire was started through the cruise control switch that I later found has had a recall on it for starting such fires. I asked Ford about there responsibilities in paying for the damages. They said they are not responsible and they are not going to pay for any of it. They said they sent out 5 recall notices, and that reliefes them of any responsibilities. I never recieved any recall notices, they may have went to the previous owner. I bought the vehicle from the Ford dealership used in late 03' or early 04'.

Original review: April 27, 2007

I was at a local audio store and the owner was explaining to me how to use my new CD changer. He asked me What's that smell? and I had no idea at the time. He double checked all of his work which was 3-4 months old and found no problems. Then he noticed that the steering column was smoking and that is where the smell was coming from. I took my Ranger to our local Forddealer and, after checking it out, they could not find any problems but felt that possible the multi switch for the lights, washers, directionals etc, COULD be the problem. The cost to repair -$250+ to change it and they would not say that that would end the problem. All this from a truck that is babyed and never has any problems. It had been running perfectly. I do not understand why this happened. With all of the fire problems Ford has had with their trucks you would think that someone would have realized that these switchs are defective.

Original review: April 26, 2007

I was going to work this morning when I noticed that I had a flat tire. My boyfriend tried to put air in it to no avail. AAA came out to change the tire and we found that the tire was slashed by the coil spring that was snapped in half. I immediately took it to the dealer where I bought the car. I knew that the 2001 Sables had a recall on the coil springs.

Although my Sable is a 2002, I felt that this should be considered part of this recall as the parts are defective. I only have 17,000 miles on my car, so we know it wasn't from wear and tear. They were going to fix it under good faith and charge me 20% plus the new tire. I called the Ford toll free number to ask them and didn't get a whole lot of satisfaction.

I didn't feel comfortable unless the other front coil spring was replaced so we settled on both front coil springs to be replaced and the tire. The cost, so they said, would have been around $445.00 but my complaints got me a bill around $151.00. I still worry about the rear coil springs after reading all of these other letters. There should definitely be a recall and action on these coil springs beyond 2001 models.

Original review: April 25, 2007

My husband and I were involved in an accident on 02/28/07 with our 2004 Ford Expedition-Eddie Bauer Edition. The accident involved an unlicensed driver who could not see what was on the other side of her so she gunned into traffic into our path. We hit her head on 45-50 miles an hour with zero time to respond. Our vehicle was a total loss and the air bag did not deploy on the passenger side causing injury to myself. I sustained bruising to my sternum, cut my right and left leg and knee. I continue to have clicking on my left knee and pain to my upper back.

We have complained about this to Ford at the recommendation of the Florida Highway patrol as the passenger airbag did not deploy. Our vehicle was totaled. The front end was severely damaged and the frame and universals were twisted. We complained to Ford, and they have come up with a ridiculous request to provide them with photos of the inside and outside of our vehicle, and even the maintenance records. We have referred them to our insurance company as it was investigated by them, and they have all the photos of the vehicle. This is not acceptable to them. We have consulted with legal counsel, who will not step up to Ford as they would need to dismantle the vehicle to see why the airbag did not deploy. The vehicle is now salvaged as it was totaled.

We were in no physical condition to pursue legal counsel when this accident occurred. We feel the Police Report should be evidence that the airbag did not deploy and the diagram is evidence that our vehicle’s front end was totaled. My husband’s (driver) airbag did deploy, and he received injury to a pre-existing back condition. He also received burns to both arms as his hands were on the steering wheel, as they should be when the impact happened. My complaint is we pay for safety features when we purchase vehicles, and it appears they do malfunction. These companies do not want to step up to the plate.

I do know of people who solely rely on their air bags to prevent injuries, who probably would have been killed as a result. We rely on our seat belts as well as the airbags. If it would not have been for my seat belt, I probably would not be filing this complaint. I am terrified even today to ride as a passenger in the car, and I am a menace to my husband as I feel like someone is going to pull out into traffic and my airbag will not protect me. This makes him uncomfortable with me riding as a passenger.

The front end of the vehicle is totaled as we hit the vehicle that pulled out into traffic head on with a force of 45 to 50 miles an hour. The air bag on the passenger side of the vehicle failed to deploy. This may have or may not have caused injury as a seat belt was worn. Perhaps, if the air bag opened, there would have been less injury from being restrained solely by the seatbelt. I continue to have pain on my left knee and upper back. In the State of Maine, vehicles are inspected annually and our mechanic does perform a system check with inspections.

Original review: April 24, 2007

2 months ago one of our front strut springs blew on our 2002 Ford Taurus. Because the strut spring blew out it also shredded our tire, damaged the sway bar link and loosened the inner tie rod. Now, two months later, one of our back strut springs blew again shredding a tire and who knows what other damage because we are waiting at this moment to have it repaired.

Original review: April 24, 2007

I also have a 2003 Ford Expedition. Three weeks ago it blew a spark plug at just over 80,000 miles. Fortunately, my wife was not on the freeway when it happened. We have a premium warranty service on the vehicle but they have refused to pay for the repair.

Original review: April 23, 2007

We had a 2001 Ford truck 1 ton. On Sunday April 23rd around 1:00am our plumbing truck caught fire. The fire department came out and put the fire out but it total our truck. The fire investigator said it was a electrical fire because of the way it had started and burned.

Original review: April 22, 2007

We heard a loud pop and then a terrible noise from the engine. We had a spark plug blow out of the engine on our 2002 Ford F250 Laredo Crew cab Truck. Luckily we were close to a mechanic shop. The mechanic put another spark plug in and said that it will blow again. It will cost over $2,500.00 to fix it he says. We can't afford to pay that. So we have to take the chance it will happen again. Isn't that a safety issue? I think Ford should have to fix it.I see that alot of people are having this problem. Should'nt there be a recall?

It will cost over $2,500.00 to fix it.

Original review: April 22, 2007

2002 Ford Taurus SE has the drivers side front coil spring break, puncturing new tire, while sitting in our garage. No indication of any possible problems. I am aware of other 2002 Ford Taurus owners having the same problem, but Ford refuses to recall the 2002 model year. We have incurred high repair bills because of this happening. Thank goodness we weren't in the car when it happened.

Large repair bills, only had 46,ooo miles on our vehicle. We will NOT buy another Ford if this issue is not resolved.

Original review: April 21, 2007

I found both rear coil springs on my 2000 Ford Taurus are broken. I did'nt even notice until I removed my rear tires for rotation. One was cutting into the left rear tire!! Where's the recall? It seems to be a very common flaw with Ford's design!

Original review: April 21, 2007

My 2001 f-150 4 door caught on fire feb07, i contacted ford and they have no reason why they dont want to be responsable for it, it did have a recall.my husband had just bought me the truck while serving in afghanistan then it was really hard getting a nice truck for once and then for it to catch on fire, i only had liability on it unfortunally , oh and no lawyer wants to take my case because they said something or someone had to catch on fire with the truck, so if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it

Original review: April 20, 2007

Attn: Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable 2001 - 2002 Owners. I am interested in starting a class action lawsuit. I have a 2001 Mercury sable that the left rear spring broke in mid February damaging the rear tire and on 4/17/07 the left front spring broke. In both cases the struts have had to be replaced for the total of 565.74. Please contact me as ssauer@sbcglobal.net. If you are interested in a class action lawsuit, I think a lawyer will be interested if we get enough response. Please send your short story and e-mail or phone so I can contact you. I will soon be 71 years old and have put up to 200,000 miles on a car and never had to replace a spring or strut in my 55 years of driving.

Original review: April 18, 2007

My car was damaged when a coil spring broke and punctured my tire, broke the brake hose, CV boot, ABS sensor and stabilizer link. Even thought this part was recalled they would not replace all of these parts. All they would fix was the coil, stabilizer link and pay for towing.

Original review: April 18, 2007

I bought a 2003 Ford Escape from Korum Ford three years ago and purchased the extended warranty. My Escape has 74,000 miles on it. Yesterday, I learned the extended warranty doesn’t cover the faulty airbag issue I'm currently dealing with. The cost out of my pocket is almost $370. The consumer must pay that kind of money for something that’s never been used and is standard? Every vehicle like this comes with airbags, and insurance companies promote it, but they don’t work right? Thank you for any helpful information you can provide on previous Ford recalls on safety airbag problems. There's no damage yet, but the dealer said it's possible it may deploy while driving it!

Original review: April 18, 2007

our only son jimmy burnt to death in our ford fx4x4 2003 on july 9th 2005 . he had no broken bones hit a cement overpass sign on route 80 in illinois. the truck burst in flames. it only had 19000 miles on it.

Original review: April 17, 2007

I have a 2000 Ford Expedition that also has blown out a spark plug.Since I am a diesel mechanic I rented a tool and repaired it myself.My worry now is when will the next one blow out? Probably in the middle of nowhere on a holiday.

I don't think I can trust the vehicle to go very far from home or to send the family on a trip and not worry about them.I tried to trade it off before the spark plug blew out but it seems that everyone knew but me that it was a 5.4 Triton and two dealers offered me $1200. for a very clean Expedition that I still owe $7800 on,when they had one exactly like it on their lot for $12995.

Bottom line is I have a nice suv that I cant trade in, trust to use as intended,or sell without feeling guilty about having given a problem to someone else.

Original review: April 17, 2007

Ford Taurus 2001 broken right rear spring. Found during 100,000 mile checkup tire rotation. Ford would not cover as warranty although if it were a front spring they would.(extended warranty of 10 years or 150,000 miles) The manufacturing defect is the same front or rear but the safety issue is far less with the rear springs. Inspected both rear springs and found that left rear was very good.

Original review: April 16, 2007

On Friday, April 6, 2007, at around 0850 p.m., my 18 year old daughter had gotten into our 1994 Ford Explorer, cranked it up, turned on the heater, backed up in the driveway, and called my wife complaining about smoke coming out of the air conditioning vents.

My wife handed me the phone just as we had sat down in a restaurant to eat dinner. We live in Parrish, Florida and were camping in Tampa, Florida, about 45 miles away. As I went outside of the restaurant to talk with my daughter, she said just as stated above about the smoke, and I told her to shut the engine off and wait a little bit and crank it back up and turn the air conditioning on and let it blow the smoke out of the a/c vents.

I thought it might of been dust on the heater coils that were burning off. When she did this, she said something was glowing from under the right front of the car. She got out of the car while it was starting to catch fire, with me 45 miles away from home, her all alone, with the car catching of fire in our driveway.

She was histerical, and I tried calming her down, and she tried to put the fire out with the water hose, but one of my neighbors a couple of houses down, came running over to help, and she hung up with me and called the fire department, who came and put out the fire.

The 1994 Ford Explorer was a total loss, with damage to my driveway, and Ford told me in a letter when I contacted them by phone on April 9, 2007, that there was nothing that they could do beyond the warranty period.

This is not Quality Job-One. Ford should have stepped up to the plate and said, yes, we will send someone to investigate this instead of sweeping it under the rug. I have photos of the damage if needed.

Original review: April 16, 2007

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition that has 39K miles the check engine light came on and it ran rough this weekend. I took it to a mechanic and he told me that his diagnostics indicate that cylinder #4 is misfiring and it might be the plug or the coil and it cost $200 to replace because it is very hard to get at; it is in the bottom of the engine. This is the 2nd time this happened the 1st time the truck was under warrantee with only 27K miles from reading all the customers comments and experience. It seems that Ford has an issue with plugs.

Original review: April 14, 2007

I bought a 2006 F-250 in April of 2006. I also am a part of the growing number of people who had nothing but trouble since I bought it. I have always loved ford trucks and always put my money on a Ford. I began with problems only 4 months after I bought it.

I got my first set of new fuel injectors put in August of 2006. In October 2006 in the middle of the night the neighbors were pounding on my door telling me that my horn was blowing and my truck was smoking. I ran outside and disconnected the battery cables. I had to push the truck away from the house for fear that it would catch on fire. In December 2006 I was out of town in my truck.

At the hotel in the middle of the night the horn awoke me again. The truck was smoking and the horn going off one more time. I had to call Fords roadside assistance. Then April the 5th 2007 I was driving down the road and noticed smoke coming from under the dash. I had to pull off the road because in minutes the smoke was getting worse and worse.

I started to feel like it was going to imerse into a fire, so i started throwing all of the valuables into the field, unable to get hardly anything out due to the quickness of the blaze. Within minutes it was into a full blaze. The truck burned to a crisp it was a Total Burn. The fire was so hot that it even melted the front tires. I am so thankful that my three small babies were not with me on this day.

I am now in limbo between Ford and the insurance company. I will definitely get in on the class action law suit. Ford should be fully responsible for all that we have lost and the time involved. As for now I don't even have a car to drive and I am still making payments on the truck that I don't even drive until this is all settled.

Original review: April 14, 2007

I have a 2001 f-150 4x4 xlt pickup with 36,000 miles on it. Within the last 2 weeks I've had to replace the computer and after replacing that, the dealer tells me the transmission is going bad. I took it to an independent repair shop and they agree. I don't think I should be having any problems for a truck only having 36,000 miles on it. And reading other Ford forum websites, I see I am not the only one. Ford doesn't acknowledge any problems with their transmissions.

I've had to pay at least $2,000.00 to repair a transmission that should never have gone out. It's obviously a flaw in Ford's design or workmanship, and they are refusing to compensate us for this at all.

Ford Cars and Trucks Company Information