Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.59/5
Based on 230 reviews that contain star ratings

Dodge Journey

The Dodge Journey is a mid-size crossover SUV that debuted in 2007. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

233 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

Love the Dodge Journey. Roomy. I have a car seat in the back and it fits nice, I don't have to move the seats around to get it in and out. It handles well in the weather. It is not a four wheel drive, but it still handles well. Also, has a nice display screen. It has 3rd row seats and had great rebates when buying new. The blue color is nice, though it wouldn't be one I would typically choose. Has a ton of storage in the back when the third row is down. However, it would be nice to have a back up camera and also the blind spot detection on the side mirrors. I would like leather seats, but it wasn't a deal breaker. It would also be nice to have a remote car starter.

Original review: June 12, 2018

To this date the experience with the Dodge Journey has been outstanding. I have arthritis in my knees and it is really great for getting in and out. The blind spots are the only thing I have really found that was bad about this car. Other than that, the main reason I bought this car was because of the price and outstanding service. The dealership has been by far very great and I would recommend them to anyone wanting a new car. The free oil changes are great too.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: May 2, 2018

2009 Dodge Journey has been nothing but trouble. Can’t count how many times the car wouldn’t start. Also put new brakes on about 1 time a year. Dodge could care less after they sell you a car.

Original review: April 6, 2018

In 2014 I drove my dream car off the lot! Had every option that one would ever need including heated seats and steering wheel! Unbeknownst to me this was about to become a nightmare that is still not over. My 2014 Dodge Journey currently has 42,000 miles on it and is on its 5th battery, numerous trips to the dealership which it’s been sitting at now for 2 weeks tomorrow. This vehicle eats batteries and no one can find the “short”. Was at the dealer last month after leaking transmission fluid, which they say was some type of adapter. The module that controls the temps for the backseat has become unattached from the roof of the vehicle and squeaks. Dealer said they can’t do anything about it. The past two weeks have been hell. The dealer has tried everything possible to somehow blame me for the mishaps and even suggesting the vehicle was in an accident. Buyer beware! Stay far away from Dodge!

Original review: March 16, 2018

We purchased brand new Dodge Journey 2017. After six months brake it’s not working. I just park the car then I try to start the car. Brake so tight not working plus this car so slow. 0 speed too much gas overall. I really like to give in them ⭐️.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Journey?

Original review: March 6, 2018

I purchased an 09 Dodge Journey in November of 2016. It was great for about a month and then all of a sudden I go to start my car to go somewhere and it won't start, I had to get it towed to a dealership to find out the key fob was bad and under recall. They fixed free of charge, and attempted to fix the recalled airbag module, I had to take it back a month later when I found out the dummy light that was stuck on my car was for the airbag sensor, I had no airbags, then I have constantly had this burned smell of plastic and rubber and wiring, I have had it towed back to the dealer for them to fix the air bag problem again free of charge due to yet another recall. I have had it in the shop multiple times for the smoking problem, had to have a manifold gasket replaced for the healthy sum of $500.

The car still smokes like a freight train and stinks to high heaven.

I have replaced the brakes all around and a rotor, to no avail. All brake lights are still on as well as the check engine light, and the low tire sensor stays on. Also the radio barely picks up one station and is so static filled you can't even stand to have it on, where as my husband's truck picks up many stations. It has started shimmying and sounds like a diesel going down the road. Every time I go somewhere I park as far away as I can because the smoke is so disturbing. I have also had to replace the air conditioning on this car. When I bought it it has 148,000 miles on it. In a year's time I haven't put even 10,000 miles on it because it's been broke down more than driven. It has 153,000 on it now, and I still owe 7,000 on it, as soon as possible it will be traded in. This was the first and last Dodge product I have ever owned. Never again will Dodge have my business. I warn anybody to steer clear of any Dodge product.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I bought a 2010 Dodge Journey. Never missed an oil change (and changed oil more frequently than required by shop sticker because I went by the oil sensor). I knew front end problems were common with this car as my mechanic warned me when I bought it (ball joint replacements pretty damn common... No biggie. I can live with that). I started losing rpms while driving. Never lost power, just became gutless and struggled to maintain certain speeds. Took it in to 2 places for full diagnostics, ended up changing crankshaft sensor 1 month, camshaft sensor couple months later, variable timing sensors, list goes on, and it's still having timing issues.

My heater went, my horn went, my sanity is now gone too. This vehicle is a curse and when you contact Dodge with these VERY common problems, they claim ignorance to these things and act like you're the only one. **The horn issue is a huge safety hazard and upon research by myself AND my mechanic... IT IS WIDESPREAD WITH THE 2010s and yet... No recall. Yet, Chrysler denies the problem.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

In 2015 I bought a 2014 Dodge Journey SXT with almost 33k on it. Besides being sold a car with an open recall (3 completed to date on the vin), it has been nothing but a headache. The gas is good, and it's a 4cyl so that helps, but that's the only reason I gave it 2 stars. In addition to recalls, the engine has leaked oil (taking 4 trips to the same Dodge dealer we purchased from) to get it fixed and multiple parts replaced (oil plug, oil pan gasket, serpentine gasket). Now, at 71k, the hose that goes to the radiator (right under the metal cap) has completely cracked and is leaking fluid badly. But powertrain doesn't cover it...

The car's 3 years old!! I've had the car less than 2 years and have made 10+ trips to the dealership just for repairs that I should not be encountering this early on in. On top of that, the cruise control, and satellite radio do not work properly, and the radio changes volume and channels whenever it feels like it. The display screens periodically go blank (mph display and radio). A few months back, my air/heat randomly turned on 4 times on its own while I was driving. I'm about to purchase my 2nd set of tires in less than 2 years. Overall this is the worst out of 4 cars I've bought, and will NEVER buy one again. I tell everyone I know never, ever to consider it!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We bought our Journey in April 2017, brand new! In August after putting around 6,000 miles on the car we started having issues... The check engine light, traction control light and this lightning bolt light all come and I can't accelerate. I can coast to a stop but that is it! It has happened to me five times now, all in different situations. Twice on my driveway going slow, on the frontage road doing about 60 and having to pull over halfway in someone's yard and out in the road, in the city where I had to think fast and try to find a place to get off the road quickly... This is a huge safety issue! Once I get slowed down the car starts to shake really bad, put it in park and it quits shaking. I am able to turn it off and sit for a few minutes, start it up and drive again. The check engine light remains on for a day or two and goes out. I take it into the dealership each and every time but they are unable to fix the issue.

Even with the error codes saved on the Event Data Recorder (EDR) which is on all Dodge Journeys from 200-2017. They have tried FOUR times now and according to a few sites regarding the Montana Lemon Law, this car is a Lemon. However, try talking to the corporate "big wigs" and they claim that the internet research is "vague" and in fact they have to duplicate the issue in order for it to qualify as a "Lemon". My response was, "this can happen to me 10,000 times but until the issue duplicates at the dealership with your technician, it is not a lemon?!" His response was "yes". So Chrysler doesn't care about my safety or the safety of my family (we have two young boys). When it happens, it's an unnerving feeling, especially in traffic and areas I am unable to get off the road safely.

I am beyond upset that Chrysler doesn't "care" for its customers. This is a HUGE safety issue for my family. I bought a brand new car to avoid issues like this and now I am scared to drive my new car anywhere, especially any place that doesn't have areas to pull off in an emergency. Coming into winter in Montana, only making the roads that much more unsafe for travel. On top of that... The value of my car has decreased immensely! How can I trade it in or sell it when any smart individual will pull a Carfax and see what's wrong with it. From the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.'s website: "The lemon law covers any defect or condition that substantially impairs the use and market value or SAFETY of the motor vehicle to the consumer."

I was told by our salesperson we worked with when purchasing the vehicle that I would need to become a royal "B" every single day, be persistent in bugging these people every single day. This is not my personality! Not to mention why does it have to come to that before they realize the real issue at hand... SAFETY! I urge anyone to NOT buy a Dodge Journey. Perhaps avoid all Chrysler vehicles in general.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I purchased a 2016 Dodge Journey on October 5, 2016 with 32 Miles on it and drove it for 6 months and right around the time the weather started to get warmer my journey started to fail me. I have taken my vehicle in 6 different time for the same issue (7/18/17, 7/19/17, 7/25/17, 8/4/17, 8/11/17, 9/14/17) it stalls while driving, wont pick up speed, after letting it sit for about 10 mins it starts back up. I've been stranded with my 3 and 8yr old Daughters waiting on help to arrive only to have it put into the shop and be told each time they cant duplicate the problem.

After reading the complaints online and seeing I’m not the only one who's having this problem I’m asking Chrysler to please step in and help us out. I've been told that a Chrysler engineer will look at and fix my vehicle, I dont know if it happened or not. I was told that the problem couldn't be duplicated and but it’s still stalling. I was told they flushed the fuel lines and dropped and cleaned the fuel tank, did the factory recall, they even looked for codes to help solve the problems. All which have not worked.

Now I'm being told that I have bad gas, the funny thing is I get my Gas from the same gas station as the dealership and I fill up my other vehicle and the rental cars from the same place. Now it’s someone has put something in my gas tank. Even today the manager at the dealership asked me if I had kids and when I said Yes he said maybe one of them may have put Dark pop like (Coke or Pepsi) in my tank... Wow. When will it end? I put all my Money into this Vehicle each month for myself then my Daughters and all I want is a reliable vehicle that is what I thought I was purchasing. I have every work order and many of other complaint that I have gotten online regarding the same problems and from the looks of them none of them have been resolved. If someone could please help me on what my next steps should be please feel free to reach out. I've completed my customer arbitration process application to declare my 2016 Dodge Journey a LEMON...

Dodge Journey Company Information