Chrysler and Dodge Fires

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On 9/5/2016 my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan I was woken up at 1 am by loud pops and went to see what was going on and found my van totally engulfed in flames. The fire department came within 5 minutes and put out the fire and determined that it was an electrical fire from the passenger front area. I contacted Dodge and they did an "inspection" and then mailed out a form letter that stated they weren't responsible. Luckily I had full coverage and the insurance will cover the loss but I would have expected Dodge/Chrysler to have taken care of it (at least replace the van). The van had no electrical work done to it and nothing aftermarket added to it. How can an electrical fire not be a manufacture defect???

Defective Product /Dodge Charger sxt 2010. People, please read this carefully. Do not Park a Dodge in the garage if the battery is located in the trunk. My car completely burned up due to an electrical problem with the battery system located in the trunk of the car that connects to the motor. This defect almost caused my house to burn down and it would have if I had parked that piece of crap in the garage. Further research revealed that this issue is more common with the Dodge Charger. Needless to say, Dodge never told me what caused the fire, but they towed my car and had it inspected by "their engineers" and issued a standard letter of denial signed by Jay **.

I worked hard to pay for this car only to have it burn right before my eyes. Do not buy a Dodge product. If you have a Dodge Charger, park it outside of the garage. I don't want this to happen to anyone else. I've done nothing but kept proper maintenance and this is the end result. I will never buy a Dodge product ever again and I will make sure everyone know the truth behind the product. It's cheaply built to say the least.

5/5/15, my husband's 1999 Dodge Durango was sitting under the carport of our rental house. He had been home from the store for about 15 minutes. He heard a popping noise and banging on the front door. When he opened the carport door he found the truck fully engulfed as well as a wall and part of the roof. He barely escaped. The house was a total loss. We had accidentally let our renters insurance lapse. Worst of all, our three little 10-year-old cats all died in the fire. We were devastated and still heartbroken.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica - On May 12, 2014 at 2:30 pm, I was driving around, taking care of my business. This was on a hot day, 80 degree temperature. I decide to stop in 7-11 store and get me a Slurpee drink. I left a friend in the car and left the car running with the air condition on. Before I pull the handle to get my Slurpee drink, someone call out, "Lady, your car is on fire." I thought, not me he's talking to. The man said, "Miss, your car is on fire." I ran outside, and all I seen was Fire. The fire were dripping down from under the hood like water drops, and this nice gentle told me to hurry and raise the hood, and I did and under the hood was all fire and then it spread. He shut the hood and Fire raise up and took total control under the hood. They called the Fire department, the police department.

7-11 had to closed because of the high engulf of the blaze and I was shock. I didn't expect this, today. I received no hot levels on no gauges, no red lights, no sound of alarms to tell me it going to be a fire. The air condition was working good. Well, the car was declared DESTROYED. I just bought the car 4 months ago... I still owe car payments and it looks like I will get a BOTTOM UP with the loan. That mean I will still owe the loan company a balance because of the bad reviews and complaints this car had been getting, it will allow the insurance to declare a low value. This will leave me nothing to get another car. Now, I left with a balance and NO Vehicle.

The recall for 2004 Pacifica Fuel system, gasoline, manufacturer is Daimler Chrysler Corporation. This what the recall states: "On certain sport utility vehicles, the chassis fuel supply tube may have been incorrectly manufactured. Consequence - Under certain engine and vehicle dynamic conditions, the fuel may separate, resulting in a fuel leak and increase of a vehicle fire."

I called Chrysler recall number, 2 days after the incident, and the phone operator ask me the VIN # number (the last 8 numbers) to see is the vehicle on the list for recall. The operator spoke loudly, "NOPE, your car is not on the list, sorry, bye." This is a crazy world out here. Somebody need to protect the people from these Giants. Now I am back at door #1 ... sitting home without a car.... NIGHTMARE!!!!!! WHAT TO DO?

My husband had two Dodge trucks to burn in one month, June 2012. We got no response from the Dodge dealer. We had two new Dodge to burn in Warner Robins BOTH FROM THE 5 STAR DODGE DEALER. They owe us from all the stress we had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chrysler?

The father pulled up to his dad's to drop him off, took keys from ignition and told his 4-year-old son he had to use the restroom, and to stay with his baby brother who was strapped in his car seat, and that they had to leave and would be a minute. Police determined that 2.5 minutes elapsed when the 4-year-old came into the house and said “Car fired daddy.” The dad said, “I told you to stay in the car.” The boy opened the door, spun and replied, “The car's on fire, daddy.” When Robert ran out, the car was an inferno, the sliding door was locked and flames were shooting 3' out the windows. He went through the flames, opened the sliding door and threw the baby still strapped in the burning car seat clear of the vehicle.

The police determined that the brother had found a lighter and started the blaze - case closed within 14 hours. But my question is, how can a blaze that intense be started with a lighter in 2.5 minutes? There was an explosion as well, blowing all the windows out. This doesn't seem possible. I told the father to keep the van as we need to research this thoroughly. Dodge is giving them a new van (a local dealership). The baby suffered 3rd degree burns to his hands and feet, 2nd degree to his face and head. This happened on 3/21/12 in Evansville, Indiana.

I was driving my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan to the store when I heard a loud clunking sound in the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle died as I pulled to the side of the road. When I opened the driver's side door, flames started coming in the car. I got about five feet from the car when the rear tire blew out, made it about 15 feet from the car when it exploded into a fire ball blowing out two of the windows (a matter of 15 seconds since I had left the vehicle). The car was totaled and if my kids had been in the vehicle, they would bot have been able to get out before it exploded. Very scary incident. The gentlemen who lived in the house where I pulled in said he heard a loud clunking sound and looked outside to see my van slowing down with large flames coming out the rear of the vehicle. I never had any previous issues with the vehicle before that would have led to this.

I just recently lost my job and was heading to a job interview. I pulled up to my destination and was making sure I looked my best. I was about 30 minutes early so I was listening to the radio when a young lady yelled that my car was on fire. I have always had all the maintenance done on my neon when it was needed so I had no issues to why it was on fire. I turned the car off, grabbed my purse and phone and got out. I really look at this lady as an angel because my car was fully engulfed moments after I ran out of it. I now don't have a car because I just took my insurance down to liability because of my job loss. And to boot, it's just before the holidays and no car equals no money equals no Christmas for my five children! And since I have no savings, I cannot afford another car!

On 8/7/07, our Dodge Durango was taken to Sunshine Dodge, Melbourne, Fl., for a recall of a defective modular bypass that started fires. On 6/20/08, at 4 am, we woke up to a sound of an explosion. We found our 2005 Dodge Durango 4x4 Limited Hemi on fire in our driveway, after being parked there for 12 hrs. Our Lexus was parked on the passenger side of the Durango, and our diesel truck parked in front of the Durango. Fire was shooting out under the hood and still exploding. We were very lucky we heard the explosion - all three vehicles would have ignited along with my house catching fire. We very lucky our Durango was not in our garage. We are very lucky no one was killed while we moved our other cars away from the Durango. My husband was in an extreme danger while trying to extinguish the fire with a garden hose until the Fire Co arrived.

We reported to Chrysler and Allstate Ins. immediately. Allstate had an adjuster come on 6/23/08 and took pictures. They want to settle for $16,600. Our car cost $38,000 and we are retired and expected to keep it for a long time. We will NEVER step foot in a Durango again! Chrysler never called us. We had to make many, many calls until we finally got a form letter telling us someone from a different dept. would get in touch. On 6/25/08, Chrysler sent someone to take pictures, and on 7/1/08, we received a short letter telling us after their investigation into the incident and inspection of the vehicle, they found NO indication of a manufacturing defect that caused or contributed to the incident of 6/20/08.

Our Durango is a TOTAL LOSS and still sitting in our driveway awaiting a settlement from Allstate. We have been without the car for over a month. Every time we see the Durango still there, we become very scared and worry what could have happened and we all could have been killed. We are also concerned next time someone could die or get severely hurt. We feel it's not fair we have to settle for such a small amount for our car when they almost KILLED us.

John Tullo of Tifton GA (02/10/06)

Back in 2001 My Wife and I bought a 1999 Dodge Stratus,within a few months we had to take it in and have a new head gasket put in it.That was the first time.Since we bought this car we have to keep a constant eye on the oil level and water levels.Just last week on 2-3-2006 my wife and Fourteen year old son went to our bank,while my wife was inside, my son who was waiting for her in the car, noticed smoke coming out from under the hood,he yelled out help fire and thank God there was a man there who helped my son put out the fire,his quick thinking probably saved his life and saved the car from completly burning up.since last week I learned that Dodge is investigating fualty power steering pump hoses and connections which could lead to a fire on the 1999 Dodge Stratus hum....sounds like the problems for real and should be corrected promply!This should promp very serious concern from the Chrysler Dodge company,and I hope that they would take care of the matter.Our car is sitting at our local Dodge dealership and we are waiting for an inspection team from the Dodge company to go there and inspect the car to see were the problem started.It has been a week already. we received a letter from Dodge saying it could be a couple of weeks until they have an answer.

On Thanksgiving Day 2005, I was driving with my 74-year-old grandmother, who is blind, to my mother's house. As I was driving up towards her house, smoke started coming out of the front of the car, along with flames. As I started to pull over, there was a popping sound and the power steering gave away, making it difficult to steer any further.
I put the car in park, removed the key from the ignition and got out of the car in order to remove my grandmother from the passenger's side. As I got to her, the car's locks went down, which caused me to panic. I immediately remembered I had the keys and opened the door. By this time there were flames pouring from the top and the bottom of the car.

I told my grandmother to hold on to me and start running as fast as she could. She asked me what was happening and I told her, "The car is in flames and can blow up." We started running and screaming for help. Neighbors came out and tried extinguishing the fire. The Fire and Police Dept. showed up and reports were made. My car was a total loss and the Fireman told me these cars have been known to burn up before.

Deborah Wilson of Memphis TN (11/14/05)

My 1997 Dodge Caravan caught on fire in my carport on 11-12-05. (It barely missed burning down my home) I have been advised to file a complaint as vehicles are not supposed to catch on fire.

1999 Dodge Stratus caught fire while parked. I have no transportation to work and somehow need to get to work to buy a new car to get me to work. Waste of $2,200.

I bought a Dodge Avenger V6 ES in 2001, it was a 1995, bought it from the dealer. The car was "certified" and I bought an extended warranty for it. In 2002 the transmission blew out and in 2003 the engine gave. Now I maintence it regularly and have had wheel problems, alignment problems and worst it caught on fire last week which is now a total loss. I was trapped in my car because the electrical went out and I had to break my way out as my dash melted and the entire interior is gone. I will never trust DOdge again. Luckily I had just dropped off my 4 year ols at school so she was not with me. We would have probably died because I would have panicked.

My 1999 Dodge Stratus caught on fire. I had just gone into the First Bank in Hattiesburg, MS when we were notified a car was on fire in the parking lot. The Hattiesburg Police Department notified the Hattiesburg Fire Dept. The car was a total loss.

I had a 2001 Ram 1500. While driving down the highway, the engine stalled and by the time I stopped, there were flames coming up over the side of the truck. Needless to say, the vehicle and all of my belonging in the truck were burnt to a crisp. Dogde has not offered any kind of help at all. They say it was not a manufacturers defect and that is all they say.

My insurance says it appears to have been a fuel pump problem, although there was not enough of the pump left to tell. I have heard of a few fires like this after filling up with gas, which is what I had just done.

I am paralyzied and live on a farm and one of my dogs got in a field behind my house and was yelping like he was hurt so I headed down the hill in my 2003 Dodge Dakota. I got stuck and was attempting to get my truck free and something caught fire under my truck. I crawled out of the truck on the ground and looked to see what was smoking and I saw a small fire and realized my truck was burning.

I called the fire department and the fire was eventually taken care of and put out but not before my truck had burned completely to the ground. My question is why would my truck catch fire,from me just trying to get it unstuck from the mud?

My 99 Dodge Stratus caught on fire, in the engine compartment, while parked, after driving in heavy city traffic. Chrysler inspected car and denied any reponsibility. Last week, my father's 99 Dodge Neon also caught on fire, in the engine compartment, while parked, after driving in heavy city traffic.
Chrysler Corp. in PR are not even returning my calls. I observed that both cars have a plastic or rubber fuel line, feeding the fuel injectors that runs over the engine, and melted away, spraying fuel over the whole area.
My wife and son escaped physical injuries in the Stratus fire, even though they were inside the car when it happened. They got out in time. Car was a total loss.

On the Neon fire, my mother(78) and I were already out, inside a store, when it started. Car is probably a total loss. At this time I cannot put a value on the stress and the fear that we are all going thru. Both cars were bought used. Stratus $9000, Neon $5000.

I had a fire under my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab and it has been determined by Chrysler investigators that Chrysler will repair the damages. However, the dealership service manager has been completely rude and refuses to comply with Chrysler and will not order any parts to fix my truck without express authorization from Chrysler.
This would be workable if he would tell Chrysler all of the parts, but I have spent a week now trying to get resolution. My wife has been without her truck now since 13 August. I do not feel that Chrysler cares about the customer or what they go through.

I now have a vehicl that is worthless for sell or trade. My wife is terrified of driving the truck and my kids were subjected to a situation that could have resulted in the loss of their life and scared them drastically. They not only were placed in danger along with my wife and myself, but had to watch their Dad in a vehicle that had fire under it trying to save his vehicle after I made my wife and kids get out of the truck in New Mexico during the heat of the day and stand bare foot on the side of I-10 while I worked with the truck. My insurance company estimates $16900.00 in repairs.

Chrysler and Dodge Fires Company Profile