Chevy Venture

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I own a Chevy Venture van 2003 and from rust lots of rust to fix and repair constantly it is by far a make and model to stay far away from. New or used look out. Headache big time.

Got hurt. Airbags didn't deploy when was in wreck, that took driver front side.

I have a 2004 Chevy Venture with 300,00 miles, it is eleven years old. I have put from a different motor to all new parts and now the van, after so many hours of the day, it will start getting hot and hardly the thermostat or the fan will come on and cool the motor down. I have had to two garages in the last two weeks and it seems that nobody can figure out what is causing this to happen and then also by the time that it gets to a mechanic then nothing is wrong with van or they can't find the problem so that the van can be fixed.

In my opinion having owned one from day 1 brand new, rolled off the lot and within days the problems started. From failing starter to windows that won’t roll down, 4 sets of brake replacements, three of 4 of the aluminum rims that leaked air so bad they had to be replaced, the head gasket seals leaked so bad they had to be redone, on the 2nd battery, side sliding door problems (not even an electric door and the door has had issues - hard to open, hard to close) then to the rust problem, the #1 problem affecting the Chevy Venture which is totally a design FLAW is the rusting in the inside rear well corners on both driver and passenger front and rear sides where the design of the vehicle rolled the steel under the carriage and curled upside creating a channel where water and debris collects and sits and eventually rusts from the inside out.

This is not something a consumer can protect against. This is a total design failure because the water cannot escape and causes the rust to prematurely damage the vehicle. GM needed to add holes or better water channels in the bottom inside of the frame to prevent this from occurring however, it does cause the vehicle to deteriorate faster than required causing consumers to replace their vehicles faster. It’s a real sneaky bad move that has left a permanent distaste in my mouth for GM product.

My 2003 with 80k KM is junk basically because of this design flaw. Way to go GM. Performance: Sucked out performance - acceleration is sad. The transmission slips occasionally even after GM fully serviced the tranny. Value: Poor value for the money. I paid over 40k for this van and it's junk 12 years later. I don't consider that value. Reliability: Weak because of the electrical problems with the windows, starter, battery. I just don't trust it anymore. I have maintained the vehicle impeccably inside. Non-Smoker, cleaned regularly, did every oil change and service request by GM every time on time for 12 years, and this vehicle should not be in this condition.

I got a loan for the 2002 Chevy Venture van. It was $7500. I have had the van for 6 months. In the first month, I had problems with it. The AC compressor was heating up and it was making metal on metal sounds. I had the dealer look at it and they said it was fine and nothing was wrong (need belt cleaning). Near the end of the 30-day/1000-mile warranty, the AC compressor heated up and smoked. I called to set an appointment with the sales manager and he said he will put me in and told me to come a few days after the warranty expired. At that point, on my way it had a problem - a ball joint in the rear let loose. I got there and they couldn't do anything about the compressor because the warranty expired, but they did fix the ball joint for free because it was unsafe.

A couple of weeks later, the AC compressor heated up and started to burn. I called the dealer to fix it and they said no, but I told them I had paperwork that said they looked at it and it wasn't the problem. So they agreed to fix it if I brought it to a mechanic. They would pay for it. I paid for it and then they paid me back $20 to $30 less than what it costs. It was $640. Since then, I have dropped another $1000 into it for fluids and a seal kit to fix a leak for the AC. A couple of months went by and it has had more problems. The AC stopped working - no cold air and it lasted for about a week - and a sensor failed for AWD. The mechanic looked at it and found that it will need almost $2000 minimum to fix. The frame is cracked and there’s no rear suspension. The rear transfer case is cracked - a lot of rust.

I went to the dealership to trade. They acknowledged that the vehicle is worth $3200 and is in an excellent condition, but it ain't less than that. It’s almost $2300 according to the Kelley Blue Book value. They want us to pay for a 2008 Chevy Uplander listed as $6995 for $10995 with 111670 miles for a trade and pay off the loan. For 6 months of having the van and 6000 miles put on it, the van shouldn't have this many problems. They don't want to lower the price, even though they sold me a crap van. And today when trying to put the window up, the window on the passenger side door shattered. The dealership said that they won't do an even trade nor can we get our money back. I am outraged! My family needs a dependable vehicle and I was jipped!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

The hood release latch came unhooked while I was driving on the freeway, causing the hood to fly back and bust out the windshield, covering the inside of my car and me with glass. It cost $256.00 to replace the windshield. The collision man told my dad that he has had 12 Chevy ventures in as many months come in with the very same problem. This, coupled with the windows not rolling up, (power) and the sliding side door not working half the time makes me wish I had never bought this van and make sure when I go to buy another, it will not be a Chevy/GM product.

Personally, my situation is too late because I have already paid someone to put a head gasket on my 2002 Chevy Venture van. But my daughters have not, because of the cost . I cannot help the way I did when I was working. I sold Chevy at Jefferson Chevrolet over thirty years.

My family has purchased at that time two Chrysler and two Fords that is because they worked for them. My brother, who works for Chrysler Corporation, has purchased a corvette and a CTS. That should be enough background. Now for the problem, which is, I have two daughters, one has a 2001 Pontiac and it has a blown head gasket and the other one has a 1998 Malibu, also has a head gasket.

The van that I used to own was sold to me by Jim Price Chevrolet in Charlottesville, VA. From the time I purchased the van, I had problems with it. The check engine light come on and would not go off. Every time I took it to the dealership, they'd use a diagnostic tool and reset the light. There was a recall on the intake gasket on this van. When it was replaced, the same gasket was used which caused leakage into the motor. My whole head gasket cracked. I had to pay for service. The motor was ruined. Since the individual that found that the same part was used to replace, the recalled part no longer worked at the dealership and the manager was out due to an illness, I had no proof.

I called Chevrolet and they did nothing to make things right. They put out a van with a defective part which cost me thousand of dollars. I had to rent cars, pay to borrow cars and pay on a loan/insurance for a van that did not run. Finally, I settled the account with UVA credit union for less than owed. It is marked on my credit. A class action lawsuit was online and one point and went nowhere. If you look up this problem, you will find that I am one of many with the same problem. 2000 Chevrolet Venture Warner Brothers Edition.

Chevy Venture Company Profile