Carmax
1.23/5
Based on 105 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Carmax

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

654 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I wanted to share my experience with whoever reads these because I believe in sharing and telling good things when good things happen! I began my search for a new car 2 weeks ago, I thought of your company as my credit score is not the best but I had heard good things about your approval process. I was approved and contacted by Zach ** within an hour of sending my application. Zach was so patient with me as I navigated the website looking for my perfect car. He gave me facts about the cars as I looked and let me know about recalls and ran every car I asked about telling me the payment and all the info he could. We selected a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander and scheduled to come get it the following Friday when I had the money for the down payment.

Through the week I sent Zach the paperwork that he told me I needed to bring and he would very quickly respond telling me if it was right or if anything was missing. I explained to him that I have 2 small children so when my husband and I came down to get the car I would like to move as quick as possible as they grow ancy quickly. He did just that. When we arrived at Carmax we were greeted very warmly by many people who got us straight to Zach. He took us to see the car and we signed all the paperwork. He explained the Maxcare and the 5 day warranty to us and before I knew it we had our keys in our hands and were taking pictures with our new car with a bow on it, (such a cute touch!)

We live in the mountains so that night on the way home I was a bit concerned as the car seemed to really struggle with the hills but I thought maybe she just needed broken in. By the 3rd day we had it I was still very concerned. I called Zach and explained my concerns. He gave a couple pieces of advice to maybe help and said that if the problem continued to call him back and we would see what could be done. By the next morning it was very clear to me that this car was not going to work for my everyday Mountain commute. I texted Zach before the office had even opened and he responded almost immediately! He explained his day but said he would be happy to get us taken care of. I sent him a few cars and he pulled all the stats, info and payment info for me. He was beyond helpful!

That night my husband and I returned to Carmax where we looked at both of the cars we had narrowed it down to and ultimately choose a 2013 Ford Escape. The paperwork was done SO fast and everyone was so helpful! Stephan helped with the return part of the car and was very friendly and knowledgeable. Bobbie helped us get our paperwork done quickly and kept me smiling and laughing the whole time. In the end Zach gave us our keys, explained some of the car to us and took a picture of my husband and I with our new car.

I am so beyond happy with the Escape! It is the perfect car for myself and my family and I never would have found this happiness without all the help from everyone at Carmax! You have earned a customer for life!!! Huge kuddos to Zach, Stephan and Bobbie! This was at the South Broadway location in Colorado! I hope that this incredible experience gets back to them and they know how amazing they were to work with! Thank you Carmax for EVERYTHING!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I went to Carmax expecting a great experience and it ending up being a NIGHTMARE! I do not typically complain about my services with companies but this one was by far the worst experience I had with buying a car. I went to Carmax in Naperville, IL. The salesman Jim started off on a very positive and informative note. I had a trade in and they made me a reasonable offer in which I accepted. However after test driving the vehicle I wanted I decided to choose a different vehicle that needed to be transferred from the Glencore, IL.

I was told to come back in 4 days in order for me to purchase the vehicle. I returned after 4 days to purchase the vehicle only to be told that I couldn't buy the vehicle because of a title issues with the car. So after getting this information the salesman Jim made a recommendation of getting a different car from another location. In which I did, then I was told it would take another 5 days before the car would arrive and I could get a temporary vehicle until the car arrived. I agreed to it however each time we communicated Jim's communication started to change and he seem annoyed in which he involved the general manager Bill. He and Bill would go back and forth with the issue.

During our interaction Jim told me he would give me a discount on the service plan of 800 because of the service I had encountered thus far. He assured me there wouldn't be a problem with making that adjustment once the second transferred vehicle arrived. When the vehicle finally arrived I was told I could come up and exchange the vehicle I had, once I arrived I was told Jim was not available and they would have a different salesperson assist me.

When I walked thru the office I saw Jim and he walked past me as if he had never seen me before. He stated "hey I'm busy today working in the internet room" I found this to be really strange, but I said, "Ok no problem". So a different salesperson starting helping me. Once we got to the final sale I advised the new salesperson of what Jim had communicated to me about the 800 discount on the service plan because he could adjust the price of the car. I spoke to the general manager Bill and he told me 800 was too much and he could make it 300, I said no I was told 800 and I asked him to get Jim. When Jim came over to discuss he looked me right in my face and changed his story and stated "I do not recall telling you that".

I then realized why Jim was not helping me anymore because he was not going to honor the 800 discount that we previously discussed and also, the car payments that I was told originally had changed as well and they ran my credit each time I was there after telling me this would not have any impact to my score or credit, in which it did. The dishonesty and customer service I was provided was by far the worst experience I have EVER had and I have bought many cars in my life. I will NEVER go to them again and I recommend my family or friends to not buy from them as well.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Was looking for another car. Saw a 2016 GMC Terrain. Sat down with the salesperson to get more info. We are both in our 80's. Next thing I knew we were handed the keys to the car and directed out the door. Nobody explained anything about the car, we went back into the showroom and asked for assistance. How do we do this, how do we do that? We were told to buy an owners manual. Drove off in a daze, "What did we do?" Two days later we went back, the car is not what we wanted. The salesman smirked and hid behind a column. Shoulders were shrugged by the management. I wrote a poor review, someone called and wanted to make it right... Well, here we are 7 months later, I still have a car that we both hate and it never went any further... Our credit union told us they were several thousand dollars over on the price according to the BlueBook. Be careful who you deal with.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Everything was going great! I got a call yesterday from the Tinley Park, IL location that I was approved for the car I wanted. They told me who I was going to be financed through, the interest rate, the monthly payment amount, and the total buying amount. I was then on the phone periodically throughout the day with Joe ** (my salesman) and he gave me the VIN number so that I could set up the insurance so everything would be smooth sailing. (He's the one who suggested I set up my insurance in advance.) I went in last night to have my boyfriend look it over and for both of us to test drive it. They also had me print out the documents that were needed on the computer at the front desk. I had to bring in one more piece of paper and the manager (John) asked that I bring it in the next day when I get off work (today).

I got a call this morning from John (the manager) of him reading off of a piece of paper stating Carmax can choose to do business with whoever they'd like and they've chosen to refuse service to me. I asked why as when I left last night he said, "I'll see you tomorrow and we were just going to finish the logistics." He told me he could not tell me and this is valid at all Carmax locations in the nation and this decision is final. I asked again that I wanted to know why and he said to call customer relations.

I called customer relations and they said they would do some digging and find out why. They called me back about 2 hours later saying this decision is final. I asked why. She (Devon) said she went out of her way to do the research and now she's letting me know it's final, again. I said I called to find out why and refused to give me an answer. This is absolutely shocking. I've never heard this before. I had the money, the credit, and no background. All of my documents were legit and they even had me print them out in front of them! I'm absolutely shocked. Worst company I've ever gone through.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

First car from them YEARS ago great. Car I got 6 months ago, not so great for $15,000. Where to start... the day we drove it home, the speedometer started bouncing all up and down, lights all going crazy, brought it back, some screw was loose. Ok, no biggie. Then Sam leans up on the driver's side panel, right above the tire, she weighs 100 pounds at the most, and it moves. Literally shifts, she doesn't know what to do, so she goes to open the car door, to come home and show me, and the panel overlapped it and paint chipped. Brought it back, fixed it, couldn't figure out why it happened. They touched up the paint.

So this is the first 30 days, after that, I bought my car used, so it’s my problem. But I got the extended warranty, but I have to pay 95 bucks to be looked at, and to pay the 1st 300 of it. Driver side headlight goes out, fix it, whatever, as nephew is putting a new one in, he notices my coolant is basically empty, but it wasn't leaking nothing. Just gone. Supposedly they check all the fluids when they do the oil change when you buy it. Then winter comes, turn on the heat, and the motor makes a terrible ticking noise. Sam’s friend who works on cars said it the heat motor. Then the other headlight goes out, my friend says hit the brights, just to see if they work, and when I hit the brights, there's a god damn clunking nose. Then, we are driving and the windshield wiper goes on for no reason. No one touched them, turned them on, it wasn't even snowing or raining. My daughter said it's been doing but didn't want to tell ‘cause I'm already hating the car.

So, I’d say DON’T GO THERE! I'm going to my mechanic Thursday, having him look at everything, then going back to Carmax and raising hell. They said they have 1 of the best car inspections ever, my car was in great shape, no accidents, basically perfect, other car companies bring cars to them to be inspected and so on. So what, did they just not inspect mine! It's a 2013, 45 thousand miles. I shouldn't be having all these problems! Something isn't right with the car. If they don't work with, I'm going to a lawyer. Every month since I bought it something went wrong or broke!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

My husband and I bought a Nissan from them and they sold it to us with no oil in it. We took it back and the only way they would take it back was to buy another. We got a 2015 Jeep Patriot and we have only had it less than 4 months and now the wheel sensors are out. We bought a service plan and now they want 295.00 to just look at the jeep. We are seniors and on a fixed income and now we are stuck with a Jeep we cannot get fix. Do not buy from them. And we are making 346.00 payments on this Jeep.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My husband bought me a Mercedes 300 from Carmax and it had 3 recalls. The closer talked low and fast, so you couldn't hear what she was saying. They are fraudulent and dishonest. NEVER BUY A CAR FROM CARMAX!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have been looking for a minivan. I am a mother of two and I run an at home daycare, I have been looking to upgrade my current vehicle. I had sent a request for a vehicle from Carmax. Immediately they called and had the vehicle transferred. I went out that weekend December 16th, I brought bank statements, license, bills to provide address and cash down payment. The salesman was a bit awkward but people are who they are and I dont judge. Went on a test drive and fell in love. I am not comfortable in a larger vehicle but this one fit me well. The price was right and I was ready to purchase. Finished the application, and was approved.

However when going through my documents for verification, there was issue after issue. First they didn't like my bank statements because I had blacked out private information that showed. I don't live close so I drove back home, resent the bank statements. All was fine. However I didn't hear from my salesman for days. Only then to find out I need proof of phone. After many attempts to prove my phone (which is through Straight Talk so I don't receive a bill) I finally was able to receive a document with my phone information. Sent it to my salesmen on December 26th. And today the 1/3/18 just finally heard back from him after texting, emailing and calling. That "The lenders arent able to use the records as proof of phone. They have very strict guidelines to abide by". So they no longer can help me! Like SERIOUSLY!!!

So I decided to call the lender who I was financing through. They have no information on my application, and said when they need phone verification they call. And don't actually need a printed document. Wow. What a waste of two weeks, dealing with horrible customer service. And B.S from the beginning to end!!! I do not recommend Carmax in Kenosha!!!! The even most ridiculous part is I have been to the Carmax in Shamburg, and have had great customer service, a salesman who actually wanted to make a sale, and kept me updated and was sincerely nice. & Very helpful. What a joke. Now I am having the vehicle transferred to Shamburg just to purchase.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I found the car I wanted on Carmax website for $10,000.00 and filled out the credit application. I have an “excellent” credit score. High 700’s. When the salesman called the next day he said, “I see you are interested in the Xterra for $12,000.00.” I explained that it was actually one for less money. I had a screen-shot of the car I wanted with the price. Well, they used the EXACT SAME picture. Placed a new price on it. I then sent the two pictures with the different inflated price to the salesman. I NEVER heard back!!! Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have a BMW 650 I convertible that had been a great car for two years and when it hit 56k miles it started smoking out the exhaust. I took it to repair shop and the problem could not be resolved and the car rental reimbursements covered a minor portion of the $1100 rental amount accrued over three weeks I've paid $900 out of pocket and my car payment is $756 a month. I went to trade the car in as no one could fix the smoking and it got worse and the car consumed a quart of oil a week. They would not cover the drastic negative in the trade in for a MBZ 550 SL so I ended up hanging on to the BMW and left it with Car Max to repair under warranty on December 3, 2017 and as of today the car still is not fixed they could not find the problem and I've had the MBZ so I did not have to get a rental.

They finally sent it to BMW and the engine has to be torn down it's a $9000 job. Then I was told the warranty had been cancelled somehow which I am still paying for monthly and that it has to be reinstated. That was 3 days ago and nothing BMW wants to send the car back to CarMax and I have no drivable BMW and the warranty is in the air plus now it's Christmas so no one is doing anything yet my car payment is due and I now have an additional payment coming up on the MBZ results in limbo!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My car was totaled recently in a car accident. I was assisted by an amazing sales representative in the internet car sales department at Carmax. My initial arrangement with the original rep was to come in on my day off, check out the vehicle I had found online, test drive it and purchase it during the week to find out how much down payment would be needed to put forth in order get an affordable monthly rate after receiving a settlement offer.

The rep I was in touch with was out of the office so I was assigned ANOTHER REP by the name of Marty ** to show me the vehicle I was interested in purchasing. He explained to me that the vehicle would be placed off of hold if I didn't purchase it at that time. After explaining the situation my original sales rep and I had discussed I told him it was never communicated to me in advance that the hold would be removed if not purchased same day. Marty said the best he could do was to keep the car held till next day closing. I went online the next morning to find the hold on my car to have been removed and available to the public.

I was extremely upset and angry with Marty for removing the hold that he had said would be there till the next day and explained to him this wasn't a way to make a sale and that he has a lack of customer service he has provided. There was no professionalism and he decided to make his own call to release the vehicle to the public after he had already told me he would keep the vehicle on hold till the next night until he spoke to my original sales rep.

I honestly had to go online to physically place this vehicle on hold for myself after my horrible encounter with Marty. He is unethical, unprofessional, rude and makes his own judgment call instead of working to make a sale with the customer. There's no security and comfort provided to know that what he is saying will be really true, effective and delivered based off of his actions. I am extremely disappointed that people like him are providing services to the public on behalf of Carmax.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

First let me say they were very nice but that's can also be because they want to sell you a vehicle. Well I financed a 09 Kia Sedona LX back in January and since it has been in out of the service center since. They said luckily I purchased the extended warranty but not so much when you have to constantly keep paying. The car has put us in many dangerous situations like headlights turning off at night and dash light turning off and on not allowing me to see anything in the car. But since I have gotten ball joints, rotors, brakes ailment, hood props were rotted out, lock mechanism stopped working, lights continue to flicker in dash, replaced fuse box, radio and I just had to get it towed because the starter went. Headlight switch had to be replaced.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

They are the ** worst company to purchase a vehicle from!! Sales to service dept!! Managers are a bunch of kids who can not professionally handle any complaints or situations that arise!!! You are supposed to be happy to purchase a vehicle. They robbed me of that with the BS they put me through and to this day still are!!! I have been to their service dept. 4 times for the same issue. Bunch of idiots. Very unprofessional, rude, selfish company!!! I purchased two vehicles from them in the past and I have seen how this company has gone down!!! No courtesy what so ever to consumers!!!

Please read all the reviews. No joke. They do not deserve your business or anyone's. They will treat you like crap from the beginning to the end - if I did not want this vehicle so bad I would have ran the hell out of the door!!! If I knew beforehand how they conduct business and treat their clients I would never ever have wasted my time with them. Now I am stuck trying to get my vehicle repaired with them not giving a ** about anything!!! I have contact the Better Business Bureau on this place!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze from Carmax in April of this year. Within 30 days of buying the car the turbocharger went out and had a severe coolant leak. When I took the car into the dealership they only replaced the air filter. They WILL NOT address the issues.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Today I went into Carmax to get an appraisal for my vehicle. I had noticed that they had the same vehicle for sale for $17,000. My vehicle had 2000 miles more than] said vehicle. My vehicle also had the panoramic sunroof and spoiler as well as the sport stripes that the other vehicle did not have. My vehicle is in excellent condition. When I read his review he had claimed that I had scratches on the passenger door that would require attention. I checked for myself and there was no scratches only a little bit of road dust.

This wiped off easily by hand. When I got home I called the appraiser to tell him about the vehicle that he has for sale at 17,000 and the fact that there was no dents or dings on the passenger door. He used 1001 excuses to justify himself. I’ve been purchasing cars for the past 45 years. I’m very aware about how the used car market works. But when I saw a difference of $7000 between what they would purchase my vehicle for and turn around and sell it. I knew that they were taking advantage of me or any other consumer. I encourage him not to deal with this outfit or be very wary with their business practices.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Purchased a vehicle on 1/13/17. Also purchased the extended warranty. Between January 2017 - November 2017, the following has happened. Rear brake light socket needed to be replaced, all four run flat tires needed to be replaced within 1 week of purchase. Front brakes needed replacing within 5 months of purchase. Oil pump leakage, exhaust valve malfunction, replaced the whole thing. Rear view mirror malfunction. I fought them regarding the deductible, because I should have had to pay all this money out of pocket in such a short time. This is the Buena Park, CA branch and the service manager is a complete jerk! NEVER EVER BUY FROM CARMAX!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Carmax is the "Worst" company you can go to. Them & their ext warranty co. I never missed a payment. Have a Chevy Cruze 2013 purchased 2/15 and had to fuss with them about battery or alternator, a rental and now what they say radiator hose. My car is leaking oil. "Oil!" They claim it's coolant. It looks & smells like oil. Ck engine lite was not on when I brought it in. Now it is. They did oil change & state inspection & passed it. Ext warranty that I have they claim don't cover it! I am so done with them. It's not funny!! I wish someone puts out a class action lawsuit against them! I will be ring leader! They give anyone a car because they know they are "Bogus". Stay away from them not unless you want to be taken!!! Looks nice & shiny on outside but under the hood it's junk "Lemon".

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This company allowed a transferred vehicle to be purchased off the "cargo truck" when it made a stop at another dealership. They offer vehicles for sale all over the US and allow you to have the vehicle transferred to your location, but in fact if it is not on their lot they do not have the ability to actually get the vehicle here. After waiting 7 days for the vehicle to arrive, I was then told that somehow it was purchased at one of the "cargo delivery stops" along the way. Incredibly incompetent manner in which to do business. Would never recommend to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We requested a truck transfer on 10/21/17 from San Diego to Kenosha, WI. We were told we would be informed via email every step of the way and told we would have our truck in 3 weeks. On 11/03/17 I called the sales associate to be told it was picked up on 11/01 and would be delivered around 11/10. On 11/10 when I called, they informed me it would be 11/17 before it would arrive, causing us to get a rental car for my husband to leave town. I was told if I purchase the truck, they will then pay for the rental.

At this point they still can't tell me where my truck is. I contact the sales associate the afternoon on the 17th and they have no answer. At 9:00 p.m. I'm told he would contact me the next day at 11:00 a.m. with information. At 1:45 I ask for an update and they can't tell me where it is. I have been texting him all day and haven't gotten a response in more than 2 hours. I have already received my credit card bill for the $899 transfer fee, but have yet to see the truck or even know where it is?

This truck has been on the back of a truck now for 18 days, apparently lost! I have not gotten 1 email telling me anything with its whereabouts. I did get a survey asking me about my experience with them. I waited 4 days and did not give great reviews. They can't even follow up on this. What kind of customer service is this? AND if I don't purchase this truck, whenever it shows up, they keep my $899 dollars AND won't pay for the car rental!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

On 11/15/17 I took my Mercedes GL450 for a Trade Appraisal. I was interested in purchasing a QX that I saw online. According to the Appraiser (Amanda **) she was giving me the best offer of $8500 which was more than KBB value of $8436. Well after hearing the offer I left the store and decide to check KBB and TrueCar when I reached home. Upon completing my online research I found out that KBB Trade in Range were from $8593 - $11520 and the Fair Trade value was $10,110.

I found some missing features that were not included by the Appraiser when she Appraised the car. I called Roseville store and requested if they can look into re-appraising the car which they straightforth denied. Only thing I wanted was to get a fair trade in value so that I get purchase the car Iiked. This was a very dissatisfied experience and most of all waste of my valuable time. I will not recommend Carmax to my family and friends ever and surely will take my business to elsewhere. I will recommend using KBB and TrueCar for anyone who is looking to get a good and True value for their vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I thought the sales people at Carmax were bad until I met the manager. They are horrible, most employees that work at Carmax do not have car sales experience. The sales person I had I believe still lives in his parent's basement. If he moved any slower he would of stopped. He didn't care that I wanted my car that night. I picked out the car I wanted and got financed and when I told him I would like to pick it up that night I thought he would have a heart attack.

He said, "I don't think we can do that"... so I got him everything he needed to make it happen, I bought several cars from dealers and I know that they can make it happen. He just didn't want to, it seemed like it was too much work for him. So he told me to come back the next day and because I complained to corporate about the way I was treated the manager thought he would teach me a lesson, he stalled me picking up my car. I had corporate call him and he just laughed with other co workers and I heard him say that I would wait for my car since I like to bitch. After several calls to corporate they couldn't motivate him. I finally left and bought a car at another dealer.

Carmax wasted my time and had me add the car to my insurance. I put a downpayment on my insurance to cover the new car and they didn't care that they lost the sale. I left messages for Bill Nash in VA Office and he don't care about his customers. I would think the CEO would of had someone call me but nope. Stay away from Norwood Dealer and the salesperson Brian and the manager name is LT. He is the one dressed like slob wearing shorts and a t-shirt with a pot logo on it. What a crew.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

On Oct 21st I paid Carmax $450 to ship a Chevy Suburban from TX to SC. My sales rep was Cory **. Three weeks to get the vehicle from TX to SC. From the initial communication when I reached out to Carmax sales to reserve the vehicle, Cory communicated he would keep me informed with text updates on the status. He did say it would take 3-4 weeks for the vehicle to Arrive. The next communication I received was via text 3 days later when he said my vehicle is finished ‘processing’ for shipment. The subsequent communication was (nearly a full week after the date I paid to reserve/ship the vehicle) when he communicated the vehicle ‘has shipped’.

On Tues/October 31, Cory texted me the vehicle had arrived but he was unavailable. We agreed to meet Monday. I went to store at 130, telling him in advance I was on way. Once we arrived, Cory informed us he 'accidentally' shipped the car to another customer who ordered it online from another store 'on Saturday' (prior).

So allegedly, the vehicle arrives on a Tuesday, 10/31 when he is off and by Saturday the vehicle is allegedly enroute to another Carmax store for a client who allegedly reserved it after allegedly seeing it online. Yet my own transfer request > ship date took 7 days. How is it this client gets next day shipping on a vehicle? I asked Cory to get his mistake corrected by reaching out to the store he shipped my vehicle to. He (lied when he) said he didn’t know where he shipped it to – this is evidenced by the fact he knew the client who ordered my vehicle (while it was still reserved for me) was ‘already preapproved’. I asked if there are other Suburbans on the lot and he said ‘No’ – mine was the only one.

So according to Cory, he can’t undo his mistake because he doesn’t know where the vehicle was shipped to have it returned while my $450 was still holding the vehicle. He has a mind to know that the Suburban I transferred was the only one on the lot. He has a mind to know the other client is preapproved and will likely buy the car. Yet he doesn’t know where the vehicle was being shipped to to correct his error and have it returned to me since I had first claim to the vehicle. He hasn’t a mind to avoid ‘confusing’ his customers to know who isn’t returning his calls and cancel the vehicle from the one customer who isn’t following thru on his/her ordered Suburban. He hasn’t a mind to acknowledge ‘there is only one Suburban on the lot and that isn’t the vehicle that aligns with the customer who actually isn’t following up with (him) so he cancels the proper vehicle rather than the one (I) had reserved.’ I understand.

I understand Cory is a pathological liar. I understand Cory is a manipulator. I know this because this and every vehicle that is reserved/shipped by a customer is taken off the internet/Carmax website the day the transfer costs are paid and I paid $450 to ship this one on Oct 21. The vehicle I paid to ship was immediately put in reserved status prevented me and any other customer viewing the Carmax website to see any data on this vehicle. I couldn't get the specs or VIN from the vehicle off the Carmax website w/in 10min of paying the $450 while in reserved/ship status.

So not only did he lie when texting me back/forth on Monday to arrange my test drive appt with him, he kept his lie up with perpetual lies while I sat in front of him and he explained how he confused me with another customer who wasn’t returning his calls and ‘accidentally’ allowed my vehicle to be transferred by another customer on Saturday – 3 days after it arrived for me (with 2 of those days of him being unavailable for me to synch up with him). And he was so incompetent it's beyond human reason -- because he literally failed to recognize he was making back to back errors and missed several opportunities to avoid causing this entire issue. That is why I believe this was deliberate.

No one could view that vehicle online as 'available' to be able to order it from Cory while it was held in a reserved status for me. Cory would have to deliberately remove my vehicle from reserved status for someone could see it online AND be mindless enough to process payment for that person to have it shipped elsewhere so it was enroute 3-days later on Saturday – all the while playing like my $450 was still reserving the vehicle for me and communicating as much.

Take your money and buy from trustworthy dealers. You won’t find any at Carmax. I tried reaching out to the leadership at Carmax to get someone to remedy this situation with this rep. Bottom line: You won’t find leadership at Carmax that cares enough to resolve the issues caused by their incompetent sales reps. You see their stock lost 50% of its value and continues to sink in value – it’s because Carmax doesn’t care about their customers’ experiences enough to hire competent sales people or hold them accountable. They don’t care about repeat business or doing right by their customers. You will only waste your time and money. Their stock will continue to sink and they won't be in business much longer. Capitalism works.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

WARNING: CarMax will continue to take payments from your bank account even after your loan is paid off! You must call them and ask them to stop taking payments. They do not automatically stop after your loan is paid off! We just got off the phone with a CarMax Auto Finance customer service person who told us this. Think of how many people don't open their mail, don't reconcile their bank account, don't manage their money carefully, and overpay - perhaps for months! Be SURE you don't overpay after you pay off your CarMax Auto Finance loan.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Made a deal on a car. It had a brake issue and a leak. I waited 3 weeks for car to be fixed. When I went to purchase car (on my lunch break) found out the price of the car went up $700 because of the repairs that should have been discovered and repaired during the 125 point inspection!! Not to mention the charge was mysteriously added on the sales contracts and no one knew anything about it. ARE YOU kidding? So much for the claim that they honor a commitment.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

So this is the 3rd time my jeep has been in the shop since I bought the car last summer. It's been an ongoing problem and Carmax has said we nothing they can do and when we said we wanted to trade the car in for something that's not gonna break down all the time we got told with all the problems with the car we won't get what is owed and good luck finding a dealership that would pay it off. What a great company! They sent me a lemon and don't give a **!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Don't buy any car from these ** dealers. Bad customer service, telling lies to customer. Reset the odometer. I am struggling with my new 2005 Sienna from them. My rims are very bad condition. Please don't buy car from them.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I financed a Toyota Camry in November 2013. I was paying $489 for almost 4 years and then paid $10,000 to finish off the payments for a stupid Camry... I only got screwed over with these kind of prices and payments because I did not have much knowledge about purchasing a car and I went alone. So ironic how after I paid for my car I asked for my title and they said they sent it, except I never received it.

The mail man was aware I will be receiving mail as I made him aware so I can go re-register my car asap... there is just no way that they sent it and I could not have received it. They sent a lean release and of course I received that. The problem is I decided to move and I'm trying to re-register my car and I been given hell. I don't believe they ever sent me my title because every time I called they said something new... first it got sent back, then they said motor vehicles has my title, then they said it was delivered... too much **. Point is, I would never recommend anyone to get a car from them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was a customer of Carmax since 2014. On August 26, 2015, I called customer service asking for the payoff amount. Just days later on September 1, 2015, Carmax received a check for over $15,000 which is the payoff amount I was given by an agent. In hindsight, I can't remember if I had received the title to my car. I thought maybe I lost it in the house so I attempted to purchase a duplicate from Harrisburg. I learned in Harrisburg that my car had a lien on it for almost $500. Of course I called to gain clarity because there must've been a mistake.

In October of 2017 I was told so many lies by various agents of Carmax that I couldn't keep count. They kept saying, "Well our records don't show that we gave you a payoff quote, only that you called. And because it's been 2 years, we can't listen to the recorded call". I said, "Well isn't it funny that you're admitting I call YOU on 8/26/15 about a payment, and isn't it funny that just 5 days later you received a check for the car IN FULL? Where did that number come from? Did I make it up? NO, I got the number from a Carmax representative". I also said that just maybe, the person tying the notes didn't fully record what was discussed. But again, not my problem. The facts are clear that if there was still a balance, the mistake was on Carmax because I attempted to pay in full based on a number given by an agent. I then asked for them to rectify this balance based on their mistake and fax a letter to Harrisburg that the lien is released.

I mentioned that in the last 2 years after you guys received a check for over $15,000 there was no correspondence. They said, "We tried to call and send letters". I said I have never received a phone call or letter. At this point, I wasn't saying they were lying, just said I didn't get it. I don't answer iPhone "scam likely" calls. Maybe that was one of them. I also received ads to buy a new car. But the fact remains and was confirmed by rep of Carmax: 2 years ago they received a call from me about a payment, 5 days later they received a check in full. The guy then says well maybe charges accrued after the quote was given. Really? Almost $500 in 5 days!

Finally, after almost 2 full hours of communication, I was bullied into making a payment to rectify a balance that was not my fault. One guy had me on hold for 20 minutes, came back to the line and hung up on me. I was already on hold on my fiancé's phone trying to get someone to help me. I asked the guy who took my payment to fax a letter to Harrisburg to release the lien. He said the payment hasn't posted. I said, "But you just gave me confirmation, meaning you have your money"! He said, "It takes 1-2 business days to finalize the payment and then we can send the letter to release the lien". This was said on a Monday morning.

On Wednesday afternoon I called and spoke with a lady to verify the payment was received and clear. She said, "Yes". I said, "Great! Can you fax a letter to Harrisburg stating the lien has been released". She said, "No, that takes 2 WEEKS!" The guy on Monday said 1-2 business days. She said, "We can send you confirmation that it was paid". I said, "I can look in my bank account to see that. I want what was told to be 72 hours prior". She would not comply. She then goes on to LIE and say, "Well ma'am when you called you said you needed a letter sent to your bank". I NEVER said anything about a bank!

So now it's absolutely clear to me that Carmax agents say one thing to me and type something different in their "notes" and make up lies. She said that the "notes" on Monday doesn't state that. Well guess what? On Monday I was told, since 2 years had passed, they can't pull the call. Now only 2 days have passed. Pull the damn call and verify what I'm telling you. I was on 2 different phones since someone hung up on me but I'd gladly give the phone numbers for verification. I am highly dissatisfied with the level of service. Clearly Carmax made a mistake and won't own up to it. I want a refund and my title sent to me IMMEDIATELY!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I just purchased a 15 Honda Accord 8 days ago, and I began to notice that this car is burning too much gas! I then called to the Carmax to find out when was the last time that any maintenance was done on the vehicle, so the lady told me there hasn't been any maintenance done on the car since it came to the Carmax back in June? Why wasn't anything done to the car before it was sold? Let alone it's such an inconvenience because I had to drive an hour to get there!

I spoke with the service manager and she told me to drop it off and they will give me a loaner. My thing is first of all it's an huge inconvenience and let alone I haven't had the car 30 days to enjoy it and it's back in the shop which is crazy, not to mention Carmax only gives you 5 days to decide on the car, which sometimes you can't detect if something is wrong with the car in the time frame, so thereafter you are stuck in a car that you will be paying for.

Carmax told me they are not able to get to my car until next Thursday which is crazy once again, they are that backed up on repairs! They haven't offered any compensation for my troubles or inconvenience and no I will never consider or recommend anyone to buy a car from here! While I was dropping my car off there were 3 other people there with an similar issue with the purchase of their new cars within the past week! It is ridiculous that so many people are back to have their cars serviced because Carmax failed to obtain the maintenance or repairs of the cars but press to make that car sale, it's an awful shame. I am disgusted behind the whole entire process and will never buy from Carmax again!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Looking to sell my car, stopped at the Gaithersburg, MD CarMax today. I still owe slightly less than the KBB value of my car. Was hopeful about this appraisal because they are selling a car of identical year, make and model for $13,999. My car has more features. Appraisal offer at this CarMax: $6,000. Not only that, but this is nearly $2,000 less than what I owe my lienholder. Therefore, I would have to actually PAY these crooks $2,000 for them to profit an additional $8,000. Of course I will not take them up on their "offer." This should be illegal.

Carmax Company Information

CarMax
www.carmax.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use