Carmax
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Carmax

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

636 Carmax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We requested a truck transfer on 10/21/17 from San Diego to Kenosha, WI. We were told we would be informed via email every step of the way and told we would have our truck in 3 weeks. On 11/03/17 I called the sales associate to be told it was picked up on 11/01 and would be delivered around 11/10. On 11/10 when I called, they informed me it would be 11/17 before it would arrive, causing us to get a rental car for my husband to leave town. I was told if I purchase the truck, they will then pay for the rental.

At this point they still can't tell me where my truck is. I contact the sales associate the afternoon on the 17th and they have no answer. At 9:00 p.m. I'm told he would contact me the next day at 11:00 a.m. with information. At 1:45 I ask for an update and they can't tell me where it is. I have been texting him all day and haven't gotten a response in more than 2 hours. I have already received my credit card bill for the $899 transfer fee, but have yet to see the truck or even know where it is?

This truck has been on the back of a truck now for 18 days, apparently lost! I have not gotten 1 email telling me anything with its whereabouts. I did get a survey asking me about my experience with them. I waited 4 days and did not give great reviews. They can't even follow up on this. What kind of customer service is this? AND if I don't purchase this truck, whenever it shows up, they keep my $899 dollars AND won't pay for the car rental!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

On 11/15/17 I took my Mercedes GL450 for a Trade Appraisal. I was interested in purchasing a QX that I saw online. According to the Appraiser (Amanda **) she was giving me the best offer of $8500 which was more than KBB value of $8436. Well after hearing the offer I left the store and decide to check KBB and TrueCar when I reached home. Upon completing my online research I found out that KBB Trade in Range were from $8593 - $11520 and the Fair Trade value was $10,110.

I found some missing features that were not included by the Appraiser when she Appraised the car. I called Roseville store and requested if they can look into re-appraising the car which they straightforth denied. Only thing I wanted was to get a fair trade in value so that I get purchase the car Iiked. This was a very dissatisfied experience and most of all waste of my valuable time. I will not recommend Carmax to my family and friends ever and surely will take my business to elsewhere. I will recommend using KBB and TrueCar for anyone who is looking to get a good and True value for their vehicle.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I thought the sales people at Carmax were bad until I met the manager. They are horrible, most employees that work at Carmax do not have car sales experience. The sales person I had I believe still lives in his parent's basement. If he moved any slower he would of stopped. He didn't care that I wanted my car that night. I picked out the car I wanted and got financed and when I told him I would like to pick it up that night I thought he would have a heart attack.

He said, "I don't think we can do that"... so I got him everything he needed to make it happen, I bought several cars from dealers and I know that they can make it happen. He just didn't want to, it seemed like it was too much work for him. So he told me to come back the next day and because I complained to corporate about the way I was treated the manager thought he would teach me a lesson, he stalled me picking up my car. I had corporate call him and he just laughed with other co workers and I heard him say that I would wait for my car since I like to bitch. After several calls to corporate they couldn't motivate him. I finally left and bought a car at another dealer.

Carmax wasted my time and had me add the car to my insurance. I put a downpayment on my insurance to cover the new car and they didn't care that they lost the sale. I left messages for Bill Nash in VA Office and he don't care about his customers. I would think the CEO would of had someone call me but nope. Stay away from Norwood Dealer and the salesperson Brian and the manager name is LT. He is the one dressed like slob wearing shorts and a t-shirt with a pot logo on it. What a crew.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

On Oct 21st I paid Carmax $450 to ship a Chevy Suburban from TX to SC. My sales rep was Cory **. Three weeks to get the vehicle from TX to SC. From the initial communication when I reached out to Carmax sales to reserve the vehicle, Cory communicated he would keep me informed with text updates on the status. He did say it would take 3-4 weeks for the vehicle to Arrive. The next communication I received was via text 3 days later when he said my vehicle is finished ‘processing’ for shipment. The subsequent communication was (nearly a full week after the date I paid to reserve/ship the vehicle) when he communicated the vehicle ‘has shipped’.

On Tues/October 31, Cory texted me the vehicle had arrived but he was unavailable. We agreed to meet Monday. I went to store at 130, telling him in advance I was on way. Once we arrived, Cory informed us he 'accidentally' shipped the car to another customer who ordered it online from another store 'on Saturday' (prior).

So allegedly, the vehicle arrives on a Tuesday, 10/31 when he is off and by Saturday the vehicle is allegedly enroute to another Carmax store for a client who allegedly reserved it after allegedly seeing it online. Yet my own transfer request > ship date took 7 days. How is it this client gets next day shipping on a vehicle? I asked Cory to get his mistake corrected by reaching out to the store he shipped my vehicle to. He (lied when he) said he didn’t know where he shipped it to – this is evidenced by the fact he knew the client who ordered my vehicle (while it was still reserved for me) was ‘already preapproved’. I asked if there are other Suburbans on the lot and he said ‘No’ – mine was the only one.

So according to Cory, he can’t undo his mistake because he doesn’t know where the vehicle was shipped to have it returned while my $450 was still holding the vehicle. He has a mind to know that the Suburban I transferred was the only one on the lot. He has a mind to know the other client is preapproved and will likely buy the car. Yet he doesn’t know where the vehicle was being shipped to to correct his error and have it returned to me since I had first claim to the vehicle. He hasn’t a mind to avoid ‘confusing’ his customers to know who isn’t returning his calls and cancel the vehicle from the one customer who isn’t following thru on his/her ordered Suburban. He hasn’t a mind to acknowledge ‘there is only one Suburban on the lot and that isn’t the vehicle that aligns with the customer who actually isn’t following up with (him) so he cancels the proper vehicle rather than the one (I) had reserved.’ I understand.

I understand Cory is a pathological liar. I understand Cory is a manipulator. I know this because this and every vehicle that is reserved/shipped by a customer is taken off the internet/Carmax website the day the transfer costs are paid and I paid $450 to ship this one on Oct 21. The vehicle I paid to ship was immediately put in reserved status prevented me and any other customer viewing the Carmax website to see any data on this vehicle. I couldn't get the specs or VIN from the vehicle off the Carmax website w/in 10min of paying the $450 while in reserved/ship status.

So not only did he lie when texting me back/forth on Monday to arrange my test drive appt with him, he kept his lie up with perpetual lies while I sat in front of him and he explained how he confused me with another customer who wasn’t returning his calls and ‘accidentally’ allowed my vehicle to be transferred by another customer on Saturday – 3 days after it arrived for me (with 2 of those days of him being unavailable for me to synch up with him). And he was so incompetent it's beyond human reason -- because he literally failed to recognize he was making back to back errors and missed several opportunities to avoid causing this entire issue. That is why I believe this was deliberate.

No one could view that vehicle online as 'available' to be able to order it from Cory while it was held in a reserved status for me. Cory would have to deliberately remove my vehicle from reserved status for someone could see it online AND be mindless enough to process payment for that person to have it shipped elsewhere so it was enroute 3-days later on Saturday – all the while playing like my $450 was still reserving the vehicle for me and communicating as much.

Take your money and buy from trustworthy dealers. You won’t find any at Carmax. I tried reaching out to the leadership at Carmax to get someone to remedy this situation with this rep. Bottom line: You won’t find leadership at Carmax that cares enough to resolve the issues caused by their incompetent sales reps. You see their stock lost 50% of its value and continues to sink in value – it’s because Carmax doesn’t care about their customers’ experiences enough to hire competent sales people or hold them accountable. They don’t care about repeat business or doing right by their customers. You will only waste your time and money. Their stock will continue to sink and they won't be in business much longer. Capitalism works.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

WARNING: CarMax will continue to take payments from your bank account even after your loan is paid off! You must call them and ask them to stop taking payments. They do not automatically stop after your loan is paid off! We just got off the phone with a CarMax Auto Finance customer service person who told us this. Think of how many people don't open their mail, don't reconcile their bank account, don't manage their money carefully, and overpay - perhaps for months! Be SURE you don't overpay after you pay off your CarMax Auto Finance loan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Made a deal on a car. It had a brake issue and a leak. I waited 3 weeks for car to be fixed. When I went to purchase car (on my lunch break) found out the price of the car went up $700 because of the repairs that should have been discovered and repaired during the 125 point inspection!! Not to mention the charge was mysteriously added on the sales contracts and no one knew anything about it. ARE YOU kidding? So much for the claim that they honor a commitment.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

So this is the 3rd time my jeep has been in the shop since I bought the car last summer. It's been an ongoing problem and Carmax has said we nothing they can do and when we said we wanted to trade the car in for something that's not gonna break down all the time we got told with all the problems with the car we won't get what is owed and good luck finding a dealership that would pay it off. What a great company! They sent me a lemon and don't give a **!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Don't buy any car from these ** dealers. Bad customer service, telling lies to customer. Reset the odometer. I am struggling with my new 2005 Sienna from them. My rims are very bad condition. Please don't buy car from them.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I financed a Toyota Camry in November 2013. I was paying $489 for almost 4 years and then paid $10,000 to finish off the payments for a stupid Camry... I only got screwed over with these kind of prices and payments because I did not have much knowledge about purchasing a car and I went alone. So ironic how after I paid for my car I asked for my title and they said they sent it, except I never received it.

The mail man was aware I will be receiving mail as I made him aware so I can go re-register my car asap... there is just no way that they sent it and I could not have received it. They sent a lean release and of course I received that. The problem is I decided to move and I'm trying to re-register my car and I been given hell. I don't believe they ever sent me my title because every time I called they said something new... first it got sent back, then they said motor vehicles has my title, then they said it was delivered... too much **. Point is, I would never recommend anyone to get a car from them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was a customer of Carmax since 2014. On August 26, 2015, I called customer service asking for the payoff amount. Just days later on September 1, 2015, Carmax received a check for over $15,000 which is the payoff amount I was given by an agent. In hindsight, I can't remember if I had received the title to my car. I thought maybe I lost it in the house so I attempted to purchase a duplicate from Harrisburg. I learned in Harrisburg that my car had a lien on it for almost $500. Of course I called to gain clarity because there must've been a mistake.

In October of 2017 I was told so many lies by various agents of Carmax that I couldn't keep count. They kept saying, "Well our records don't show that we gave you a payoff quote, only that you called. And because it's been 2 years, we can't listen to the recorded call". I said, "Well isn't it funny that you're admitting I call YOU on 8/26/15 about a payment, and isn't it funny that just 5 days later you received a check for the car IN FULL? Where did that number come from? Did I make it up? NO, I got the number from a Carmax representative". I also said that just maybe, the person tying the notes didn't fully record what was discussed. But again, not my problem. The facts are clear that if there was still a balance, the mistake was on Carmax because I attempted to pay in full based on a number given by an agent. I then asked for them to rectify this balance based on their mistake and fax a letter to Harrisburg that the lien is released.

I mentioned that in the last 2 years after you guys received a check for over $15,000 there was no correspondence. They said, "We tried to call and send letters". I said I have never received a phone call or letter. At this point, I wasn't saying they were lying, just said I didn't get it. I don't answer iPhone "scam likely" calls. Maybe that was one of them. I also received ads to buy a new car. But the fact remains and was confirmed by rep of Carmax: 2 years ago they received a call from me about a payment, 5 days later they received a check in full. The guy then says well maybe charges accrued after the quote was given. Really? Almost $500 in 5 days!

Finally, after almost 2 full hours of communication, I was bullied into making a payment to rectify a balance that was not my fault. One guy had me on hold for 20 minutes, came back to the line and hung up on me. I was already on hold on my fiancé's phone trying to get someone to help me. I asked the guy who took my payment to fax a letter to Harrisburg to release the lien. He said the payment hasn't posted. I said, "But you just gave me confirmation, meaning you have your money"! He said, "It takes 1-2 business days to finalize the payment and then we can send the letter to release the lien". This was said on a Monday morning.

On Wednesday afternoon I called and spoke with a lady to verify the payment was received and clear. She said, "Yes". I said, "Great! Can you fax a letter to Harrisburg stating the lien has been released". She said, "No, that takes 2 WEEKS!" The guy on Monday said 1-2 business days. She said, "We can send you confirmation that it was paid". I said, "I can look in my bank account to see that. I want what was told to be 72 hours prior". She would not comply. She then goes on to LIE and say, "Well ma'am when you called you said you needed a letter sent to your bank". I NEVER said anything about a bank!

So now it's absolutely clear to me that Carmax agents say one thing to me and type something different in their "notes" and make up lies. She said that the "notes" on Monday doesn't state that. Well guess what? On Monday I was told, since 2 years had passed, they can't pull the call. Now only 2 days have passed. Pull the damn call and verify what I'm telling you. I was on 2 different phones since someone hung up on me but I'd gladly give the phone numbers for verification. I am highly dissatisfied with the level of service. Clearly Carmax made a mistake and won't own up to it. I want a refund and my title sent to me IMMEDIATELY!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I just purchased a 15 Honda Accord 8 days ago, and I began to notice that this car is burning too much gas! I then called to the Carmax to find out when was the last time that any maintenance was done on the vehicle, so the lady told me there hasn't been any maintenance done on the car since it came to the Carmax back in June? Why wasn't anything done to the car before it was sold? Let alone it's such an inconvenience because I had to drive an hour to get there!

I spoke with the service manager and she told me to drop it off and they will give me a loaner. My thing is first of all it's an huge inconvenience and let alone I haven't had the car 30 days to enjoy it and it's back in the shop which is crazy, not to mention Carmax only gives you 5 days to decide on the car, which sometimes you can't detect if something is wrong with the car in the time frame, so thereafter you are stuck in a car that you will be paying for.

Carmax told me they are not able to get to my car until next Thursday which is crazy once again, they are that backed up on repairs! They haven't offered any compensation for my troubles or inconvenience and no I will never consider or recommend anyone to buy a car from here! While I was dropping my car off there were 3 other people there with an similar issue with the purchase of their new cars within the past week! It is ridiculous that so many people are back to have their cars serviced because Carmax failed to obtain the maintenance or repairs of the cars but press to make that car sale, it's an awful shame. I am disgusted behind the whole entire process and will never buy from Carmax again!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Looking to sell my car, stopped at the Gaithersburg, MD CarMax today. I still owe slightly less than the KBB value of my car. Was hopeful about this appraisal because they are selling a car of identical year, make and model for $13,999. My car has more features. Appraisal offer at this CarMax: $6,000. Not only that, but this is nearly $2,000 less than what I owe my lienholder. Therefore, I would have to actually PAY these crooks $2,000 for them to profit an additional $8,000. Of course I will not take them up on their "offer." This should be illegal.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I called Carmax. Transferred to an ADAM sales rep (MAPLE SHADE, NJ). I was questioning how do they go about making sure the batteries are OK and don't fail you almost a year later as my son's did today and he answered as if I asked for a free battery. “Well we don't replace a year later and we checked it blah blah blah." He was VERY VERY RUDE. I MISS GRACE... who no longer is there. She was patient, kind, respectful and cared about her customers... I would never purchase a car from CARMAX.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Let me tell you my story what happen today the Oct 10th 2018. After submitting my application few days ago, yesterday their agent in Calgary called me and asked me about my application. I told him that I I am looking for financing Taurus from other dealer, then he said that they only finance their cars, so I said then no need to continue with the application. Then he got angry and suddenly the sweet voice becomes a demonic voice so rude and started to cross his limits by saying how can I say I only want to buy only Taurus and that I have to buy a car from his agency. So of course I started to feel offended toward my privacy and it started to be very obvious that he is ready to be disrespectful just to make some profits. So I told him, "well this is the only car I am looking to buy and I do not want to buy other car so if you do not have I will not go for any financing," then he a very rude way he said, "Well then OK."

From his intonation and so disrespectful manner of answering I knew that time that this agent will be running my credit even though I told him I will not go for financing just to make a hard inquiry to harm my credit score, until that point the credit was not yet run because after I close the call with him I checked my credit many time through Karma account and was showing that no credit been run.

The next day which is today Oct 10th suddenly I received email saying that my credit been run, when I checked it was their agency!!! I called and told the reception that I will complaining and disputing the credit check without my permission, he also started to be so rude and refused to give me the agent and he close the phone while I was complaining of what they have done. I will be disputing the credit... STAY FAR from these hypocrite non professionals people, they are willing to do anything even illegal things.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

CarMax was willing to lose a customer over a few hundred dollars. CarMax jacked up the value of a vehicle. $1000 per the bank value would have been upside down on a vehicle right off the gate. Carmax in Lexington, KY basically told me to suck it up and purchase this vehicle that is under book value or take my business elsewhere. I've never dealt with a car lot as bad as CarMax.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My son, bought his first car from CarMax back in 2014(?). Because he was only 20 at the time, he was just starting out to establish himself. They financed a 2012 Focus which as of this date still has a balance of $14,00.00. In trying to get rid of it, he finds that the car is only worth $2,000.00. I'm trying to find a solution in getting rid of this car. By the time my son pays this car off, the value will be 0. These car lots and financing companies are taking advantage of young people who are trying to establish themselves.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I purchased my vehicle on 7/3/17. The salesman was very pleasant, but he convinced me on getting a warranty! On September 9 I go to cancel the warranty. I was told over the phone by the operator here that I can simply cancel it... They will refund me the difference in money. Which makes sense... But to my surprise it was all a scam! I would not recommend this place to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Please stay away from them selling you a warranty from TWG or MAXCARE. This is the first and I hope the last time I have to deal with this joke of a warranty. This all started when my van broke down and I had to take it to the repair shop. The first day the van went in around 8:30 in the morning. At that time they started calling to get authorization to do the work, but never could get hold of anyone from THE WARRANTY GROUP. The shop was on hold for 30 minutes each time, keep in mind this is a repair shop that don't have time for this. I called several times myself and was on hold for no less than 45 minutes each time. It took the repair shop until the next day to get the authorization to do the work. Once they got the authorization (more than 24 hours) they got the work done.

At the time of me writing this review they still not gotten paid for the repair and I still have not gotten my van back, and it now 6:30 in the evening on day two, and the repair shop is now closed. I have the rental car allowance of $40 per day, but you can’t use it until they give authorization for the repairs at this point it's been 5 days (with the weekend and Monday as a holiday) and still no van and having to pay for my own rental car. I can't put all the blame on TWG, I also put the blame on CARMAX for selling this crappy warranty. If I ever buy another automobile from CARMAX they better not talk to me about TWG. Like I have heard before, it only take one bad experience to spoil it, and this has been a very bad experience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

After a successful engineering career I retired in Reno, NV. I was restless staying at home, so I decided to take a job in car sales. I answered an Internet ad for a sales position with CARMAX in Reno, NV. The ad specified the existence of several openings and I thought that I had a good chance to get a job there. I sent in my resume and 3 days later, I was contacted by phone by Jess, CARMAX HR Manager. She asked to come for an interview on Friday, Aug 25, 2017. On Friday, I checked in at the reception and I asked for Jess. I was told to wait in the showroom, that she will come to meet me momentarily. After waiting patiently for 56 minutes, I got up and asked a saleslady passing by if there was a problem with Jess... The saleslady went to find out what was going on and 10 minutes later, a sales manager came up and informed me that Jess was not working that Friday.

There was a mix-up and the CARMAX person at the reception forgot to tell anyone I was there, waiting for an interview. I went to meet the store manager and I calmly expressed my dissatisfaction. I was given a new date for an interview on August 29. I went for the interview again at CARMAX and Jess was available. I interviewed with Jess and with 2 other people for 2 hours. I answered many scripted questions from the interviewers. Having a lot of experience in interviewing people, I was surprised by the fact they had absolutely no experience in interviewing. They were simply reciting a scripted questionnaire. Subsequently, I went through a mock sales scenario. After answering the questions and simulating an actual car sale, the interviewers seemed impressed and I was led to believe that I would be getting the job.

One day later, I received an email stating that while my credentials and interview was impressive, they decided to hire someone else. I am very disappointed with CARMAX attitude. If this is the way they act with a sales candidate, can you imagine how would they treat a customer looking to buy a car? In my experience, the hiring process of a potential employee should be done with the same respect you show to a customer. This is not what I experienced at CARMAX.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I'd like to send a great big "thank you" to an awesome salesman, Mr. Nir **. He was a great help in allowing me to relieve 2 months of a stressful situation to rest. I spent over $2K this summer trying to restore my 2006 Mini Cooper that a mechanic kept diagnosing different things wrong with it. After spending broke, I arrived at CarMax with a hope and a prayer. To my surprise, the gentleman that was off that day, spoke and asked me how can he help me. He was already booked with three other appointments but he saw my desperation and despondency of seeking help.

That gentleman was Mr. Nir **. He not only offered me a cold drink, and a moment to relax, but between helping his already approved clients, he ushered me out of there driving in my dream car... 2015 Mini Cooper! I am so grateful he took the time to help me. He was not only professional, but proficient, polite and a pleasure. He made me laugh and that was what I needed besides a nice new car!! He gave me both, with the Lord's help! I'm grateful and I'm happy. If anyone is in need of a good laugh while getting a new car, see Mr. Nir **. He made my day. LET HIM MAKE YOUR DAY TOO!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Bought my car from Carmax in Gaithersburg MD in Dec 2016, on my 2013 Kia Rio there has been over a $1000 dollars’ worth of work done on it. It has been in and out of the shop several times since I bought. I have to say that, Carmax did pay for repairs. Disappointed in Carmax, bought 2 previous cars from them never had a day’s problem other than regular up keep. Unaware of any problems until after paper work was signed. I ask Carmax to let me exchange cars and they said my time to do that had expired.

I was not aware of any problems beforehand. So now I am just stuck. Not telling anyone not to shop at Carmax. When you do be an educated buyer, get the car checked out by someone you trust before signing on the dotted line. They used to be the best people to buy from but not now. Carmax is not going to care and they will stick you with a piece of junk as they did me. Just saying Carmax has gone downhill not like they used to be. Buyer beware when buying from Carmax. They are not too honest these days...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased my previously owned GMC from Carmax in King of Prussia, PA on October 15, 2016. I was very excited when the time came for me to drive my car off the lot. It was everything I wanted, minus the technology package; however, I did not care. I was in love with the car itself. Not even a year later and my joy has turned into disappointment. In June of 2017, I started experiencing loud rattling noise coming from the engine. I took my car to my mechanic and was informed that my catalytic converter and manifold were damaged and would need to be repaired. I called GMC customer care to inquiry about any warranties that would fix my car. According to the representative I spoke with they found a warranty that would fix my catalytic converter. He sent my information to FC Kerbeck Buick GMC in Palmyra, New Jersey.

Three weeks passed and I did not hear from the representative from FC Kerbeck. I reached out to the contact he listed, John **; however, John was not available or the person I needed to speak with. The representative also gave me a reference number (**) that no one at FC Kerbeck knew anything about. I was finally sent to a Jason ** who scheduled to bring my vehicle in on July 24, 2017.

After viewing my vehicle, I was informed that repairs were needed to the manifold and it would cost me over $1,000 to fix. This is very unsettling given that I have not had the vehicle for a year. I was contacted by Carmax, who reached out to me regarding my complaint email. I spoke with an Janice **, who asked me to come in and they will see what they can do for my vehicle.

First complaint I have about their services offered through Carmax is, Janice switched my time around and I wasn't aware of this. I arrived to the Carmax location, only to discover I would have to wait 3 hours before my car was even looked at. Janice did try to rectify the situation by giving me a loaner car at no expense to me. She told me that repairs to my car would cost me $400. I was still upset at the price, but after a week of moving some bills around, I decided to move forward with the repairs.

It took Carmax over a week to receive the part needed for my car. I was told that it takes 24 to 48 hours, then I was later informed that they did not finish the process in ordering and there was still some paperwork that needed to be submitted. Repairs were finally completed to my car on 8/24/2017, for a lower cost than anticipated. Janice informed me that a code popped up on my car, but it was a pending code that I shouldn't worry about and it should go away.

Less than 30 minutes of driving my check engine light came on and my car was right back to the way I left it. Nothing was fixed!!! Besides the noise that my car made (which can still be heard) just at a lower volume. I called Carmax and was told to bring the car in again. This is a ridiculous back and forth process that is costing me additional money. I told Janice I feel like I have been sold a Lemon. Her response was, "it is a 2011 and this is why we offer our warranty package". There was no urgency taken in place for my vehicle and very poor customer service. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I drove a 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 in Tucson, Arizona in early July 2017 and I was very interested in purchasing it. However, I needed to sell another vehicle first and the dealer told me I could not put a hold on the car. 5 weeks later I sold my car and I followed up to see if the 300 was still available. The dealer said it was and I took my wife down to drive the car again. We drove another car on the lot too for comparison purposes but we preferred the 300. I told the dealer we were very interested and he took my information. I did not even bother asking about a hold since the prior dealer told me I could not place a hold on the car.

We came back the next day (less than 24 hours later) and the dealer told us he was helping another customer but that he would be with us in 15 minutes. Meanwhile, we walked outside to look at the car and it was gone. We asked where the car was and we were told it had been transferred. My wife and I could not believe that in less than 24 hour they transferred the car and did not even bother calling us. The dealer we were working with did even know the car was gone and did not appear to care much. They are obviously unorganized and do not communicate internally and they do not appear to care much about customer service. That was truly the worst car buying experience ever and I will not do business with Carmax ever again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I had a bad experience and CarMax is willing to do nothing to compensate me. I purchased a 2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250, I discovered the vehicle had been painted 2 weeks after the purchase. The vehicle has been presented as never been in an accident but there has been major paint work. I confronted the manager and he wasn't even willing to entertain anything and acted like I was in the wrong for even coming by to discuss the issue. The first girl I talked to acted the same way as well.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Bought a Subaru Outback for $32000 in Burbank, found rat feces and nut shell in engine bay, the navigation option was missing, interior was stained with formula (on window too), cereals in the seats, crumbs in console, all tires were under inflated, oil was overfilled, tires were overused. Returned it to Carmax Reno which put it right back for sale. I witnessed the feces were still in the engine compartment as I was buying the car next to it.

On the second Outback I purchased for the same price just a week later there were 3 cracks in the windshield. The biggest one is in direct line of driver sight and will expand with frost. Police would cite a driver for this. 3 salespeople came to look at it and swore it would be replaced. Today the service department refused. Carmax has rat feces and DOT regulations infringement for standard and it does so knowingly, waiting for the next sucker.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I was just informed by the HNIC at the Columbia SC that I am not allowed to bring my cars in for service anymore simply because I was not satisfied with their service repair attempts. Now out the gate the 09 Mercedes SL63 I purchased had many problems. Dry rotted tires, bad brakes, electrical problems that required 4 battery replacements for the engine, two for the accessories, wire harness, alternator times two, voltage regulator, splash shield, amp, vario roof and the list could go on. So much I was told to stop emailing, which was my paper trail. They have made it sound as if I was at fault when it was the piece of junk they sold me. Continued to tell me just bring it back and I did until after this last time which cost the company almost $10,000.00 to repair by the dealer. And yes I did purchase an extended warranty of which should not have been used because I made them aware of the problem within the first thirty days.

I know the AMG like the palm of my hand so when I saw something that did not look right I made them aware on the spot. The service director Adam had the nastiest attitude like I was at fault. I am sure if I were ** it would have been an entirely different situation. But telling me that I am not allowed to have my cars serviced because of my unsatisfaction with the service department for issues with the car that I did not cause. Anyone old have the very same complaints if their car spent more time in the shop than in my driveway? I asked to have the decision to be presented to me in writing. So far no response.

The area supervisor explained that I do not seem to ever be satisfied therefore they will not service. Of course I am not if work is below par, incomplete, not done at all or not standing behind a promise. More so I paid over $45,000.00 for this vehicle in full including an extended warranty with a $450.00 deductible. I reiterate that the majority of the problems were brought to their attention within the first two weeks after purchase which was during the 30 day bumper to bumper store warranty. I have never experienced having something like this occur related problem found from a recent purchase. They gave me a $450.00 visa gift card to be for all of our issue and also equaled the deductible. Unbelievable!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I purchased a car from (Whitemarsh) Carmax and had the displeasure of dealing with August. This was my first time purchasing a car on my own so I had hoped that my experience was different. I took my parents for support and to ask questions in addition to mine. This car was bought solely by myself. The first time we all sat down to discuss and also test drove the car. He focused mainly on my parents like they were purchasing the car. I blew it off the first encounter. Then my day came to pick my car up. Again, the focus was on my parents and I was even referred to as she as they spoke to them while I sat right there. I went to sign for the loan and additional paperwork and August gave paperwork on a side view mirror that needed to be fixed by Carmax to my father and NOT me.

I just wanted to add that the gentleman who I sat with to fill out the loan was absolutely professional and treated me like the car owner. Even at the end, I had to take the keys out of August's hand while he decided to shake the hands of my parents first and then offered to take a picture of all of us standing next to my new car as if my parents bought me a car. Mind you... I didn't have to do business with Carmax and my first car experience was ruined. Keep August away from me as I'm still deciding whether to just returned the car as August had no issue telling us that he gets a $180 bonus which he doesn't deserve.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I went into the CarMax in Columbia, SC to purchase a car. I had gotten pre-approved prior to going in, so all we needed to do is get my car appraised and close the deal. I was driving a 2016 purchased in 2016. The car is in like new condition with just the normal wear and tear. I went to kbb.com to see what the trade-in value was for the car so I knew what I was looking at financially. I even had my payoff amount. The salesman Robert was great and I would recommend him to anyone BUT the appraisal was so off it wasn't funny. I paid 17,000 for my car less than 18 months prior to the appraisal and they came back with an offer of 7500.00!! I am not sure why they came back with that price, Robert offered to go and find out, but at that point, what did it matter. I thanked him for his time and left. I went to another dealership and was offered 3000.00 more. Pretty sad because they had a definite customer.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

We purchased a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek from them. First the sales rep that we got assigned treated my wife like a second class citizen. He called her my secretary first and then later when I corrected him on that he simply ignored her. When we went for an extended test drive (which requires some additional paperwork to do) he handed me the keys and then, while looking at her, told me that I am the only one that can drive the car. He never even bothered to ask if she wanted to or offer to get her information so she could. We called to get a different salesman and when I asked for a manager was rebuffed by the person on the other line saying "there are none available." My wife called back and asked to speak to a female sales rep. We eventually got transferred to a very nice woman and a female sales manager who helped us with the final purchase.

Carmax refused to allow us to take it to our mechanic before we purchased. So we decided to buy it anyway and then immediately take it to our mechanic for inspection. Their website says "125+ point inspection". Strange that their inspection completely missed the mouse nest in the engine compartment. Wow what an amazing inspection that was. Plus they change the oil on it and did a sloppy job.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I just found out that Carmax sold me a dangerous car where they knew a recall was on it about the air bags and suspensions plus break. I would like to SUE them as they put my own family in danger including myself and others in the road. This company needs to shut down or get a d'hier high FINE from the government and refund me the entire amount I paid plus the interest. I need help and want to fight them until justice is done for everyone who are in the same position than I!!!

Carmax Company Information