2. Automotive

Carmax

Carmax
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Carmax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carmax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarMax?

Original review: April 4, 2021

We were looking to upgrade one of our current vehicles with a newer and more luxurious car. As the car we were looking to get rid of was a sedan that is what we decided to look for. Not fully understanding Carmax we let a very nice Cadillac get by us by not having it shipped to the Reno Carmax store. After researching Carmax more we spotted a Lincoln Continental in California that would be shipped to Reno for no charge and a test drive. After a paperwork glitch we were able to arrange a test drive and I really liked the car but it was a little more than I wanted to pay.

Well after attempting to get the price lowered to no no avail we decided this was the car for us and we traded our Buick in and purchased the Lincoln. Which, by the way was our first Ford product in more than 25 years. Overall we are pleased with the Car and Carmax. Will definitely look to them next time we are in the market for a car.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Travis ** is the most amazing sales person at Carmax in Dayton, Ohio! When I arrived at the Dayton CarMax Travis looked clean and professional and greeted me with a smile. I went in on a miserable cold winter evening not knowing what kind of car I wanted. Travis walked the entire HUGE lot with me, happy to let me sit in every car I asked about. He was very knowledgeable and we were quickly able to narrow my search. He's got a great memory so he helped me remember what I liked and didn't like. Over several weeks he located various vehicles for me, had them transferred, and set me up for 24 hour test drives. I am very picky and Travis had extreme patience. Travis always promptly returned my texts, phone calls, and emails. Travis always made sure the vehicles I wanted to see were clean and warmed up when I arrived for my scheduled pick up time.

When I wanted to compare a Lexus RX 350 base trim to an F Sport, Travis went above and beyond and had them both cleaned and parked side by side for me to easily compare the two trims. Travis is not the typical pushy/annoying car sales person. Travis is easy to work with and truly listens to his clients. I am delighted with my car shopping experience with Travis ** at the Car Max in Dayton, Ohio! If you are shopping for a vehicle, it's worth your drive to the Dayton, Ohio Car Max to have the pleasure of working with Travis **. -Susan C. Springboro, Ohio

Get buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I bought a car From Carmax and the experience was very good. Plenty of on-site selections and the details on the website are very thorough. Even when there is no car on site, the website gives you enough details to be worth ordering. The only problem I had with ordering it to be delivered to the onsite, was it didn't have every item on the list, especially cruise control. But the price was right, and I bought it. One other item I was concerned about was my trade-in. They charge too much for the inspection and that detracts from what they gave me for my truck. Their financing is very good. Overall, I was well pleased.

Original review: June 9, 2020

We have purchased our 2010 Chevrolet Traverse at Pleasanton,Ca. We chose the bumper to bumper warranty and it has been a blessing. The Repair Pal has been great when you can't get a service appointment at the dealer. We have had over $6000.00 worth of repairs due to age of the vehicle. Steering rack, transmission pump, replaced flex plates, air pressure sensors, and all but one transmission sensor. And I have 2 more years left on the warranty. My neighbor bought her van there after us and bought the same warranty and she had mechanical issues. She settled with a newer van, less mileage, and smaller car payment. My son then bought his Jeep Wrangler there and his wife got her Dodge Charger there. Everyone has been pleased with Carmax service, though you need to be firm with your needs for loaners during repairs.

Original review: May 24, 2020

From the no pressure sales at the store in Portland Maine, to the unbelievable kindness and patience I was treated with at the service desk in Irvine California, this company has been repeatedly good to me! Not only did they work with me when they technically could have told me to go suck rocks, they were also kind about it! Everyone I have ever spoken to at the company has been polite, respectful and kind, including the person I spoke to when I was sick with a fever for two weeks and needed to put my bill off for a month! It was much appreciated on my end as these seem to be qualities that are diminished to non existent. We all put a good face on social media for quarantine but the truth is, out in public, most people are scared and reactive! They're downright mean! So nice to see smiling eyes above a mask or hear a cheery voice on the phone! Thanks Carmax!

Original review: April 19, 2021

Worst experience ever! Carmax Plano sold me a $34000 truck and the stereo doesn’t even work. I took the truck to the service department 2 weeks after I bought the truck. After 3 hours of waiting they confirmed that the stereo doesn’t work and said they would have to call their stereo guy to look at it. After a week I called them back and then they told me they would have to have a Ford dealership diagnose the problem with the stereo and it would take at least a week for the dealership to diagnose the issue. Do not waste your time or money buying a car from Carmax.

Original review: April 13, 2021

After some research, I decided on CARMAX for a second-hand vehicle purchase, based on reviews and their "no-haggle" policy. I paid to have a 2014 Toyota Sienna shipped to the dealer nearest my location, which is combined 1.5 hours by train and Lyft/Uber. I found their customer service very good, with excellent systems in place pre-shipment, with helpful explanations about the process. Similarly, when I went to view and test-drive the car I found the service good. On inspecting the vehicle I found that both front tires had what I considered to be excessive wear; the salesperson agreed that the service department should take a look.

During the test drive, I found the brakes spongy and less responsive than safe for a large, heavy vehicle that would be transporting my family. Again, the salesperson agreed that he would have the service department take a look and get back to me. He wrote "brakes" and "tires" on the paperwork. And then...nothing. I never heard another word from anyone at CARMAX. All the excellent systems went quiet. I can only speculate that they decided that, having had the minivan shipped to this location, close to a large market like NYC, they'd sell it to next, possibly less careful consumer. The experience made me question whether their marketing about safety checks and service is more hype than substance.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I have been here. Love the way of customer service and support. Price quite expensive but the vehicle would be detailed check & no codes before handing to customer with guaranteed.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I reserved a truck to view that I knew was rare on the market. I had been looking for a couple of months, so as soon as it came on the website I called and verified everything about it over the phone and put a hold on it. The next Day I drove 2 hours to see it, and lo and behold it was not there. They sold it AFTER I had placed my hold, and blamed their computer system having an outage. I don't believe this as the entire record was there and they were even able to pull out the time that I reserved it. So I drove 2 hours home without the truck, and not so much as a "Sorry" from the manager in Ontario, CA.

Original review: April 7, 2021

Poor service and customer support or communication. Will never use their service department. They have never addressed the problems and there is inconsistency between dealerships. I had a problem with the transmission with my first car I purchased from Carmax, still same problem to this day.

CarMax author review by Emma Simon

The prices on CarMax are non-negotiable, meaning there’s no need to haggle. The site exclusively offers used vehicles. However, there are a moderate amount of cars with very low mileage. CarMax spends an average of 12 hours prepping each vehicle for purchase — each car must pass a 125-point inspection and undergo a thorough cleaning before being put up for sale.

• Store-to-store shipping: CarMax has 200 locations nationwide. If you find a car online that you like, it can be shipped to any of CarMax’s locations for you to pick up.

• 7-day guarantee: If you are dissatisfied with your car, no matter the reason, you can return it within seven days of purchase, no questions asked.

• Multiple financing options: Customers can apply for financing through CarMax Auto Finance or several other third-party institutions. Options are available for those with weaker credit.

• Extended service plans: You can protect your car by purchasing an extended service plan that will help you pay for repairs you may need down the road.

• Filters to narrow down searches: Find the perfect car by selecting the right price, type, brand, year and location. You can also search using the “lifestyle” option, depending on whether you are outdoorsy, living in a big city or want a family car.

• Test drive before buying: If you find a car online, that means it’s available at a CarMax location. You can test drive any car before buying.

by Emma Simon ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Emma Simon is dedicated to creating accurate and valuable content that helps consumers make difficult decisions.

Carmax Company Information