Carl Gregory Chrysler Jeep Dodge

Columbus, GA

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In May of 2015, I took my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited to the Carl Gregory Victory Drive Dealership for service. The EVIC warnings of check elec brake system, ELS disabled, check 4x4 system came on all at the same time. The two MIL lights for ABS and ELS also came on and the cruise control quit working. I thought something really serious had happened. I paid the $79.95 diagnostic fee and got the report from the service dept adviser. The mechanic had written his findings on the code sheet. It said there were 32 fault codes for brake system and that the ABS module was faulty and had to be replaced. The mechanic quoted $959.00 to replace the module ($420 for the module and the remainder labor charges). When I questioned the high labor charge, the service adviser relayed that the mechanic told him the ABS module was a very inaccessible part and would take a half day to replace.

Not having $959.00 in my pocket, I requested a copy of the report and went home to figure out what to do. I looked at the report and fault codes more closely. The first thing I noticed was that it said my Jeep needed recall P73 performed. Why they didn't perform the recall while they had it in the shop is beyond reasoning. I had to make another 60 mile round trip just to have the recall performed.

I then looked at the 32 fault codes (there were actually only 30 codes total) supposedly all for the brake system. Of the 30 fault codes, only two made any mention of the brake system; (over twenty of the other codes said "lost communication" with other non-ABS components - something loose maybe) one said implausible data received from ABS and the other was lost communication with ABS module (again, loose wire maybe?). Four of the fault codes referred to the right rear wheel: 1. Implausible right rear wheel distance signal received 2. Right rear tone wheel performance 3. Right rear wheel speed sensor circuit and 4. Right rear wheel speed comparative performance.

I'm not a mechanic, but I immediately felt something was wrong with the right rear wheel sensor(s). I looked up the right rear wheel speed sensor in my Chilton DIY auto repair manual. It was an easy fix, so I ordered a right rear wheel speed sensor from Chrysler parts online ($17.00 Mopar OEM) and installed it. It took about 30 minutes. I test drove the vehicle and it ran perfectly. All the MIL lights went out and the EVIC warnings were gone. The cruise control worked fine again. The ABS module was not faulty.

I do not know if the mechanic is incompetent or deliberately diagnosed the ABS module as faulty just to run up bogus labor charges, but I suspect the latter, because I also noticed in the Chilton manual that not only is the ABS module not inaccessible and hard to replace, it is about the most accessible component under the hood. It is attached to the ABS pump, right next to the Brake master cylinder. I could replace it myself in about a half hour or less.

I suspect this dealership rips customers off like this every day without consequence, because Carl Gregory owns the only two Chrysler/Jeep dealerships in Columbus, GA. I currently have no confidence in Carl Gregory's dealerships to treat me ethically or fairly. So the next time I need service on my Jeep, I'm in for a long drive to get it.

Granted there are some good employees (**) who are employed at this dealership. One bad apple can spoil the bunch. I purchased a Jeep on or about recently. Although I think I received a fair price, my car salesman ** has not followed through with the deal. The salesman has not fulfilled the sales agreement as of yet. The windows are supposed to tinted, and I was supposed to have a new hitch attached to the vehicle. I have purchased two other high end vehicles within a year where the same salesman sold those vehicles to me.

As I recall, I had problems with those transactions as well. On each occasion, I had to contact the General Manager ** to resolve the problem. I really love the Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep products. But, the service from this salesman has helped me decide not to purchase any other Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep products. Note that I have encountered others with similar problems that stem from the same salesman. In closing, I'm not trying to encourage you not buy from this dealership; however, choose your salesman wisely. I later discovered that this dealership has an awesome salesman - **.

I purchased a 2007 Chevy 1500 work truck that I had found online at this dealership. My sales associate was **. He was very helpful and attentive in the beginning. After discussing the condition of the vehicle, haggling over price, and being assured that there were no defects or mechanical issues AT ALL the deal was done. He even had it delivered to my house (190 miles) for an extra $100. Upon delivery, there were multiple cracks in the dash that were not spoken about by **. This issue was not a deal breaker, but looking back it should have raised a red flag.

Upon driving the vehicle there was vibration when pressing the brakes (about a 5 on a 10 scale). After this test drive, I called ** and was told by him that I could just buy a dash cover and he would send me a check for $200 to go towards the braking system on the following Monday. Dash cover.... Really? I decided to ignore this because he was working with me on the brake issues and I have no allusions of a 8 year old vehicle with 100,000+ miles not having some sort of issue somewhere.

After all paperwork was signed and the deal was done, I later took a ride in the vehicle and to my horror realized that the air conditioner was not blowing cold air. This was within 30 min of the delivery drivers departure and I immediately called ** and told him about the issue. He of course said that it was blowing just fine at the lot. I relayed to him that I would have it checked out on the following Monday and be in touch with him in regards to findings. I did follow up, then was told that he would be in contact the following day after he was able to speak to his manager about it. This never happened. I escalated my efforts to speaking with Mgr. ** with the same results.

Long story short, I am looking at a $700 fix that they are not willing to help with, even after me volunteering to make the 190 mile trek back to their dealership so their people could assess. Their stance is that there is no money to be made off of the deal. I am in sales so I understand this concept, however, who living in the south would willingly buy a vehicle that does not have an adequate A/C system and what reputable business would sell one without it being made known? I can understand this happening at a roadside car lot, but not at a legitimate dealer who claims to be professionals and customer service oriented.

Today is day 9 post purchase and I have yet to receive the check that was supposed to be sent via FedEx 8 days ago. Shame on me for trusting and not going through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb before signing. Shame on them for not standing behind their claims and for not following through on promises made. My advice, do not use this dealer.

I took my 2007 Wrangler into Carl Gregory last year for them to fix a transmission leak, while I was down there on business with the military. They fixed the issue (so I thought) and picked up my vehicle and went about my business. Less than 3 weeks later, my transmission starts leaking again. I take it to my local dealership since Carl Gregory is over a 4 hour drive for me. Once I get my Wrangler to my dealership, they say Carl Gregory failed to put a seal in correctly and that it was under warranty, but I had to take the vehicle back to Carl Gregory so they could work on it under the warranty. We specifically asked what would happen if we drove the vehicle to Carl Gregory (4 hours away) and it messed the transmission up, what would happen. Kerry (service advisor) stated they would cover it.

Well, sure enough, Carl Gregory stated that I burned the transmission up and they would not cover the repairs. They rebuilt my transmission with mopar parts and we agreed that I would pay 1/2 the repair cost and them the other half, since it was not my fault. With the repair costing me $800, Carl Gregory stated I had a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on my vehicle. So now I have a powertrain warranty on my vehicle, and SUPPOSEDLY a warranty through Chrysler for the repairs that Carl Gregory did. So here we are, not even 6 months later, and around 9,000 miles into my warranty, and my Wrangler begins leaking again from the transmission. I take it to my local DODGE JEEP CHRYSLER dealership and they check the transmission and states that Carl Gregory AGAIN did not place a seal in my transmission, but that the transmission would not have been leaking while parked as much, due to the seal's location.

So my local dealership calls Carl Gregory and their service manager Ed ** states they again will only cover 1/2 the repairs. My local dealership agrees that Carl Gregory is being ridiculous in not covering the repairs since they rebuilt my transmission, and it is now leaking again. I have escalated through Chrysler Corporate who, not surprisingly, cannot get a hold of Ed ** today. I am currently working with Chrysler Corporate office and my attorney to fix this issue. It is crazy to me that Carl Gregory will not cover their repairs for the SECOND time when I paid $800 for their repairs, and it was warrantied for 12 months or 12,000 miles. After I recoup my funds from them, I will never take another vehicle there nor recommend them to my many brothers in arms still in Ft. Benning.

My son bought a 2013 Dodge Dart from Carl Gregory in March 2014. He could not make the payments because he got arrested and I got full power of attorney on him to deal with his financial matters. He paid over $17K on the vehicle which was BS because he didn't even have a job, but he put down $8.5K as a down payment. The SOBs at Carl Gregory only offered me $8K for the same vehicle they sold my son 8 months ago and which was even less than his down payment of $8.5K. He owes $11K on the vehicle, so go figure what a total rip-off and absolute bad business practice. My son did not even have a job when he bought the POS and Carl Gregory had no business in the whole wide world selling him the car knowing that there would be no way he could even make the payments with no employment. Bottom line here is to avoid Carl Gregory like the Plague. They are predatory lenders at best and have no morals. DO NOT buy anything from these crooks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carl Gregory Chrysler Jeep Dodge?

I was told the true car value would be honored $21,045.00 on a 2015 Dodge Journey. The financial people agreed and told me that they would "pay off" my trade in and told me not to pay up front for a 5 year warranty. I let my guard down, signed the paperwork and did not check it. Not one salesperson went over the numbers. I bought the car for 22,941, they gave me $3,000 on trade in and I could have paid up front for the warranty AND no mats in the car.

Bait-and-switch. They promised lower interest and payment. They told us that we were 99% approved. The bank had closed; it was Thursday. Over a week had gone and there was nothing from them - no calls or anything from them. So, my wife called them to see if the order has some parts for it and she added. Still, they did not say anything. We got home at around 5 or so and they called. They said we would have to sign a new contract. I asked what the new payment was going to be and the interest. They could not discuss that on the phone. I stated I would not drive over there because it was a 2-hour trip altogether. They threatened me and used foul language. I told them to bring the car I traded to them and come pick it up. They stated they would get there, but they will not bring me mine.

On 4/10/2012, the car was to have rear link bars replaced for rust and front ball joints replaced on recall. Called by the dealer, the car was ready. I got there, the car was not ready and suddenly, the car needs front rotors and pads. The ball joints were not done. 5:00 that afternoon, I got a call from a service manager to tell me that the front hubs were so rusty that they have to be replaced and they would cost $800.00. I told him I will not pay for the hubs, that the rust problem is inherent with the safety recall and that they should replace the hubs. Chrysler did replace the hubs. Then when we went to pick the car up, they suddenly found that the water pump was leaking. They had the car from 4/10 to 4/13 and every time we come to pick up the car, they suddenly find something else wrong. I checked the water pump when we got home, it was not leaking.

Sold Me a Lemon and Won’t Replace It: I bought my lemon at Dodge Charger in Columbus, GA in January 2010, over a year ago. Chrysler told them (Dodge) to take it back and sell me a car that doesn't leak every time it rains. The dealership refuses to do anything. Georgia Lemon Law is only for rich people, and that's not me. I am just your normal, Purple Heart, wounded warrior, who served 23 years in the army to be treated as a second rate citizen with no rights. I guess if I spent $50,000 on a car, they might have treated me differently. Oh, wait, I did spend $50,000, Charger $30,000 and my daughter’s $26,000 Dodge Journey.

I purchased a car on April 10, 2010. It was on a Saturday, so I couldn't call St ate Farm and get insurance quotes. So, I asked the salesman if I could take it back if I changed my mind, he said, "Yes, as long as it's in a reasonable time frame." So on Monday, I called my insurance company and found out that I couldn't afford the car plus insurance. On Monday, April 12, 2009, I told the salesman that I was returning the car. He said, "Okay, but you need to talk to my general manager." His general manager told me that they could not take the car back and that if I cant afford the insurance that my license will soon be revoked and that they will not let me just return the car.

Then he said that his salesman wouldn't tell me anything without putting it in writing, so then I explained to him that his salesman did indeed make promises to me without putting them in writing. Along with the promise that I could return the car, he said that he would fix the dented up bumper on the car and he promised that he would get out all the deep scratches in the car, which was about 5 different places, on the car. Then uninterruptedly, the salesman walked into the office and admitted to saying that he would fix the repairs and said but he's sorry that he didn't write down anything on paper but he told his manager in private that he didn't say to me that I could bring the car back for any reason but he did. He lied to me saying that I could bring this car back and I was trusting him and believing in him.

So the bottom line is that I got suckered into buying this car thinking that I could return it for any reason cause the salesman told me I could. I got so upset with them refusing to take the car back that I called the police and they made a police report and now I'm gonna have to take them to court in order to return the car. So buyer beware, do not buy a car from these crooks. They will promise you the world but if they don't put it in writing you are screwed and they got me. So ladies don't let them get you.

On 08/13/2005, I purchased a 2003 Mazda Protege VIN# ** for $8,900 from Carl Gregory Dodge. They included a 24-month Used Vehicle Extended Service Agreement Warranty for $999 into the Buyer's purchase price and charged me $10,913.43 for the vehicle at16.45% for 60 months payments, $268.01 for 60 months. I contend that the extended service agreement warranty is unfair, and the interest is unfair and excessive in the following particulars: first, the $999 extended service warranty insurance is included in the purchase price for 16.45% interest for 60 months. I contend that the service agreement warranty insurance is unfair and in violation of the Fair Credit Act to be included in the cash price to be financed at 16.45% interest for 60 months. I contend that the interest 16.45% is excessive and unfair.

Carl Gregory Chrysler Jeep Dodge Company Profile