4.29/5
Based on 207 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

CarHistory.us.org

Considering a used car? Give us the VIN number and we can provide you with pertinent and reliable information such as the correct odometer reading, number of past owners, and accident history. Our database includes history reports for vehicles from all around the world and tips from experts that will alleviate some of the anxiety involved in making your purchase. Buying a used car involves risk, and we endeavor to provide our customers with the facts they need in order to make an informed decision.

Last updated: April 14, 2018

322 CarHistory.us.org Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 14, 2018

I took an special; one dollar for one vehicle history report. They charge me full price (unlimited reports) two months. I am disputing charges in my credit card. Do not enter your credit card information for no reason. I cancel, still they charge two months.

Original review: March 16, 2018

My friend was interested in buying a car and had questions on its history so I did a search and came upon this website. It was very quick and the info was very helpful. I was very pleased and to top it off it only cost one dollar. It doesn't get any better than that. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2018

It seems like a good service to check the history of a vehicle in the marketplace. The price is very reasonable. The website seems very easy to use and get around. The reports seem good as well. Anyone looking to check a car's history should use this service.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I was looking for information on a vehicle that I would like to purchase. The information that was provided was exactly what I was looking for. The report was in depth and explained in detail all the items listed.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I am 55 years young. I recently purchased a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer last week. It didn't include a carfax report with it. Looking on here was very rewarding. Just knowing there is someone that has my back, by not getting ripped off. I will be telling everyone about. Thank you very much!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarHistory.us.org?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I am glad I chose this site to find information about a car I’m interested in purchasing. It was very user friendly and cheap — $1.00. The report was very thorough and gives me assurances that if I choose to buy this car, it is a good decision.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

From what I read so far, of this report, I am very pleased to show this to my friend. She recently bought a truck from a disreputable dealer, and I wanted her to have the complete report on the vehicle she purchased. This is a VERY complete report for a VERY reasonable price.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Wanted to find out what happened to my deceased dad's vehicle. Entered my credit card number and the VIN of Dad's card and their research engine gave me absolutely NO new information that I did not already know. I knew that the car was "salvaged" but I do not know exactly what that is with a car. I asked the personnel what that meant and told them several times that the report and I were "disappointed" with the report that they gave me.

When I chatted with Patricia, one of their reps, she referred me to Brian **, who emailed me and referred me to www.autocheck.com. NO one answered my 1 question about a car being "salvaged"! Then an Andy contacted me to let me know that in addition to the $1 charge, I was being charged $18.95 on my credit card for their volume discount package with a savings of $73 per year! What??? I wanted to know about 1 car not look up cars for 1 year, not for $18.95/month and not for a volume discount package! I am trying to have this scam cancelled... it is a ripoff and misleading.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I came across the CarHistory site while searching for information on a car's VIN number. Seeing it was listed as CarHistoryIowa.US.ORG I thought this was a state government information site. If it is I have no way to verify it. Somehow I seriously doubt this site has anything to do with ANY United States Government services or help from same. I got suckered into entering a VIN number to gather information on a used car I was interested in at a cost of $1.00 fee for as they said on the site for filing fee charges. Sounded extremely fair.

After payment I was redirected to this site: MemberReportAccess.com. As it turns out I was SOMEHOW billed for 4 payments of $18.95. The only reason I noticed this was I was trying to find out how to email this report they generated to myself. I saw in my account information I had 24 more I could check on. This didn't sound right so I asked on LiveChat, a link on their site. I asked about this and the person in the live chat told me I had signed up for a years subscription to this supposed service in which I could use it to view 24 VIN's. I proceeded to tell this person I did NOT want this service and thought I had only paid for this $1.00 fee. As it turns out she told me I must have missed the area that said I was signing up for more. Yea right.

I then told her I did not want to subscribe to anything and cancel my subscription. In the meantime they had billed my credit card for the $18.95 installment fee. She agreed to cancel me out of this but said the $18.95 was already billed but would be refunded in 3-5 days. Ok... I figure this is certainly a scam and I have just given out my credit card number. So, I end up calling my bank and canceling my credit card with that number. So in another TEN DAYS I should receive another replacement card from my bank. Great timing.

Conclusion: Whether this site is legitimate or NOT it certainly does not seem like a reputable way to do business. One it's misleading that this is somehow a government-affiliated website. I know, .gov would have been the correct address but being a .org I assumed they were affiliated with the State Of Iowa. (2) The hidden charges would have gone by undetected by me if I hadn't tried to figure out how to have the report sent to my email address (as was suggested on their site) until the next bank statement. So whether these people are legit or not I would NOT risk doing business with a company that misleads its clients to this extent.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

False Ads, first they say it's free and then they what to charge you $1.00 for a Report, I have a card I use for on line payments only and just put $1.00 in it and try to get the one dollar Report! Card was declined, so I know they wanted to take more out than the $1.00 fee, so now they have my number and I have to change my card, nice try CarHistory Pennsylvania.us.org!!! This is a big scam to get your number and charge you monthly, a lot of people would not go thru the hassle to get a dollar back but if you have thousands of people getting rip off that adds to a lot of cash that THEY take from people, they need to be SHUT DOWN! Before other people fall for the scam!!!

Original review: July 13, 2017

They tell you that your report is ready for $1 and after you agree to that, they have a hidden charge of $18.95 they also bill you for. Also, their reports were not accurate. I bought a motorcycle with a SALVAGE title and their report did not even indicate anything about it even though the California DMV title clearly had SALVAGED typed on it. I would stay away from this site.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I saw an ad to check the car history for a $1 while I was in the process of purchasing a used car. I signed up and I got the report stating that the car had a clean title with no accidents at all, with a 36000 miles on the car while the owner had that car advertised to have 160,000 miles. Now I decided to buy the car based on this report knowing the mileage.

However after I bought the car, I found out that I got charged that $1.00 then in addition to that I also got charged another $18.95 which I was never aware of. I took it to Mercedes Benz to find out that the car was involved in an accident so we pulled the Carfax to find out that this was also well advertised on Carfax. I contacted them and I got the full refund. However I still got the car as a result of their false report that was dated to 6 years ago prior to the accident. The supervisor from this agency used excused to justify their wrong doing... Please do never use this agency... They are not correct at all nor honest. The refund number is **.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

They bait you with false information, then make you think you are only going to pay $1.00 for the report but charge you $18.95 without you knowing. When I got the final report the information was also incorrect. If you don't own the vehicle you are looking into this site would be great, but I know some of the info and all of it was not what this site said it was. I would not use this site if I had a second chance.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

Bad experience. First they bait you that it's free. Then they ask you what type of report do you want and of course you want the full history report for free! When you're ready to get it they charge you $1.00 but you don't mind because it's cheaper than CARFAX. Once you check your account they actually charge you $18.95 a month. The $1.00 is a down payment on the monthly charge. I called and got my refund the same day. Ask for your full refund, do not accept that you won't be charged for any more months. I was wondering why they offered a $10.00 Amazon card for filling out their survey. When CarHistory.us.org comes up in your search, skip it. They got me but I got them back!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Before agreeing to give the company my credit card, I should have read some of the reviews, become suspicious, and recognized $1 for a VIN report was too good to be true. My SCAM-mer radar should have gone up... Here's my personal experience: CarHistory.us.org charged my credit card for a VIN report, failed to deliver that report, and then their "customer support" refused to acknowledge that CarHistory.us.org charged my card. Their support agent instructed me to send a screenshot of the charge on my statement (which I did) and they'd "get back to me". It's been a week, and... crickets... no response. So I followed up today with a call to their support team. They again refuse to acknowledge that they charged my credit card and asked me to send a screenshot of the statement (again). When I asked them to provide me the VIN report they charged my credit card for, they "can't".

I will be going to my credit card company to fight the charge. It's a LOT of hassle for $1, but now I feel very uneasy with them having my credit card info, and will be flagging them to my bank. Moral of the story is as the saying goes, "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is." The story ends with me getting my VIN report... from AutoCheck, which is an Experian company, so I knew it would be reputable. And while the AutoCheck report was $25, after doing some research, I felt the price was a good compromise between some of the budget VIN check online businesses and CarFax, but still providing helpful information about the car I was serious about buying.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

This site advertises FREE!! They are not free! They state they have to charge you $1.00 to get good information. You get crap! I was looking at a salvage title, yet their site showed no accidents. Then I find out the actually charge you $1.00 plus $18.95/month forever!!!! This company is a scam and I have just wasted hours of my life trying to resolve it!

Original review: June 17, 2016

I found Car History online. First I was mislead by reading the service was free. Then they said it was for a $1 donation. I called the number before continuing with the payment to make sure they were for real. I did get a representative but she could not validate whether or not the service was as accurate as other services but they did link to the state DMV. I decided to try it and filled out the payment info. What was supposed to be a $1 charge turned out to be an $18 charge! I then reviewed the report. IT WAS TOTALLY INACCURATE! There was a lien on the vehicle that they didn't show on the report that is on file with the DMV and is displayed on the registration! There had been dealer services and recalls that didn't come up. Their report said that the car was totally clean and IT WASN'T. I recommend using a reputable source. Beware!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

The reports do not cost $1!! They are signing you up for a $19/mo service, and presenting that information in a dishonest way. My report had almost no useful information, and I lost an hour of my life to keeping these scammers from taking my money, and now I have to monitor my account as I can't trust them. Big mistake to use this service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

On Nov. 25th I came across carhistory's website online and they had an introductory offer of $1.00 for a single car report. I received the report and it contained one item I was unaware of, but missed many others that should have shown up on the report. They put forward the $1.00 charge to my bank on 11/25/2015 from the state of Alabama, as was the agreement. Four days later they put through an unauthorized charge of $18.95 originating from the state of Texas. I reported it to my bank and asked them to start a fraud investigation into Andy ** at carhistory.us.org.

Mr. ** emailed me today saying he would refund all my money ($18.95 + $1.00); my bank has told me that no refund has come through as of the time I spoke with them. These people put themselves forward as legitimate and they do provide a product (a poor one), but they are actually in the business of making unauthorized charges to people's accounts. If you don't monitor your bank account closely, they will get away with it. I don't know if I will ever get my money back, but I want others to know about this unscrupulous business.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

Won't find older cars but charge you anyways. Ordered a report for an older car (1965). I went all the way to the end to learn that records prior to 1981 were not available. Would have been nice to know that BEFORE I pay. Won't refund.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I signed up to this site and received the info I needed, but was then charged 18.95 for no reason, I have seen that other people have gotten this and have had it happen multiple times, and I wish to be refunded and have my account removed. I was not informed this charge would be included and have been told by all the agents I spoke to that this charge should not be included.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: July 25, 2015

I shouldn't be surprised that this company spends a lot of time writing fake reviews. Anyway, they operate a large number of websites purporting to be nonprofit vehicle history report sites that will give you a report for $1. Nope. Once you do that, you are directed to their real site at carhistory.us.org where they try to force you to sign up for magazine subscriptions and other services before you can even get to the report. The report itself is just generic vehicle information that can be determined from the VIN (car type, engine type, etc), nothing specific. If you contact support, they will tell you. Surprise! You've actually been signed up for an $18.95/mo service. Now ask yourself. Do you really think the people writing these reviews are happy about that? What does that tell you about a company that spends so much time on fake reviews. I've already filed a complaint with the FTC.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: May 7, 2015

I signed up for searching the history of one (!) car. The charge was advertised as 1$ - before I knew it, there was an additional charge of $18.95 on my credit card. Still not bad, right? - As it turned out, I (however that happened - I have no clue) had signed up for 12 installments of $18.95 / each. As I learned via online chat with their rep, I would have been able to do 25 searches / month. That was not what I needed and it was smuggled in through the back door. I cancelled, right away - will see, if the charges on the credit card will be refunded. I believe I did read all the fine print... Beware - $1 is too good to be true.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: April 28, 2015

Used this site to obtain a free vin # report for a used vehicle after agreeing to a $ 1.00 service fee for use of their server. I checked my credit card and was charged an additional $18.95 for some basic incomplete information. Nowhere on this site did it give you a price and for what you were being charged this fee for. How many complaints must be filed before something gets done. After talking with the customer service person, I found out they were going to take 18.95 for the 12 months for the same report. This is bogus and should be shut down.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: April 10, 2015

I sent for a report last night and got it, was told I only had to pay $1 in which I did, then today I go to take money out the atm and notice about $40 missing. I call my cc company and they tell my that carhistory charged me $18 twice plus the $1 plus 49 cents for every additional info. I contacted them and they gave me one $18 back, and won't seem to give me the other, so I may have to get my attorney involved.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

I ordered the $1 vehicle history report through my mobile phone this afternoon. I waited all day and never got anything on the report even though I received an e-mail saying my report was ready. On top of the report being blank, I noticed my bank account was charged twice. Once for $1.00 which I confirmed, and a 2nd time for $18.95 which I never confirmed. Contacted customer service to ask why and she said that $1 was just the service fee, I signed up for the $18.95. I was never prompted for this? I can't prove it, so I'm stuck with a blank report which is supposedly being sent to my e-mail by a manager 12 hours after I requested it and paying $18.95 + $1.00 for it. Rather disappointed... :(

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

I ordered a Car history from this website for the first time and paid $1. I got the report and I was very happy to order all the time from this company, but later on I realized a $18.95 on my account. So BE CAREFUL. THEY ARE THIEVES. It's better to go with Carfax, they are legit company. It's worth to pay a little more, but not to get ripped off by a cheap company like Carhistory.us.org.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

Good records. Easy to access.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

First Time user and was skeptical of your service especially the charge of $1.00 when all the others charge $7.00 or more for the same service. I said why not for $1.00 and I was pleasantly surprised how fast and quick it was. Their site was customer friendly and was easy to navigate. I would recommend this if you are purchasing a new or used car.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I stumbled across this web site by checking on my VIN for my car, and when I saw the $1 decided to try it out. I hope that the authorization is only for that amount because I did not agree to be able to check for anything else at any other time, if so I will be contacting Andy ** about it. Other than that the information was to the point and seemed pretty accurate and you cannot beat the price, Cheaper than a McDouble....

CarHistory.us.org Company Information