South Bay BMW

Torrance, CA

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Increased Rating!

After 3 weeks of waiting I received a call from the Sales rep (Essie) and to my surprise, I was approved for a $25,000 loan with an APR of 2.9. I jumped for joy!. Sometimes just having a little patience is well worth it. Thanks, South Bay BMW you have blessed me with an amazing car I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Nicole of Los Angeles, CA on

Original Review

I went down to South Bay BMW looking to buy a vehicle. I explained to the representative that my credit score was 667 and that I only had $2500 for a down payment. I asked him was there anything they could do? Of course he says, "Yes," and instantly wanted to run my credit. I asked him several times before running my credit if he was sure he could help me get a vehicle. He guaranteed and promised to get me into a vehicle that day. He instantly ran my credit and within 5 minutes he came back, and greeted me with his business card stating that the application process would take up to 2-24 hours for approval. He rushed me out of there so fast that I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.

I knew leaving that day I was not approved however I still waited for his call. After not receiving a call for the first two days I called him and inquired about the application process. He basically hung up in my face. At this point I'm pretty sure I was denied. I just wish he was professional enough to tell me that. I was expecting for him to at least tell me why I was denied but instead he dodged my calls and emails. Now I have another hit on my credit after I explained to him that's what I was trying to avoid. So disappointed in South Bay BMW. It's about sales there so if you don't have a 700 credit score or a huge down payment don't waste your time. The sales rep name was Essie!

There is a lack of expertise at the sales associates level, and a lack of honesty at the sales manager level. The 2 sales associates that I worked with had very little knowledge of the cars and inventory. It was truly remarkable how little they knew about the cars. The sales manager (name is Haoie) is arrogant and pompous. A simple question such as "is the money factor" were met with a smirk and a look of disbelief that I dared ask questions like that. He said "You don't need to worry. You won't get a better deal anywhere else." He rolled his eyes at me at one point. I've had a relationship with that dealership for 6 year but I will not get another car from them. They have really regressed. I would never recommend them to a friend or family.

I bought my 2007 BMW from South Bay BMW and I have been a loyal service customer for 7 years. I have now figured out the high priced overcharged service department must be a racket. Since I no longer have a warranty, all of my service repairs have been $$$. I just spent $8,500 in December 2014 and now they want another $6,000. Well, I took my BMW to a reputable BMW repair shop that was referred by my friend and was told I did not all the services that was on my diagnostic sheet from BMW. My total cost of repair and labor from this repair shop was $410. WOW, I totally was such a fool.

Perfect example of a dealer treating you well when you are buying and badly when you try to use their services. Even though buying my Mini was a great experience, I have to say that I am still shocked by the way I was treated this morning when dropping my car off because of a flat tire. Their customer care representative, Steve, as well as one of the service managers, Esvin **, were incredibly disrespectful and rude. I will spare you the details, but beware. Most of us expect that when we treat others with respect, the behavior will be reciprocated, right? No, not at this dealership!! If you like to be treated as a human being, this is definitely NOT the place to go. I'm shopping for a second car, and even though I want a Mini, this will NOT be the where I'm getting it.

I bought a 335I with twin turbos from South Bay BMW brand new in 2007. The twin turbos have went out to the tune of $8500. My warranty just expired and South Bay BMW nor BMW of North America would help a loyal customer who has never been late on a payment. The GM ** at South Bay hides and does not talk to customers. I am paying for a car that is sitting in my garage until I get the money together and riding the BUS. Wow, South Bay BMW, I will never purchase anything from you again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South Bay BMW?

South Bay BMW sold me a LEMON, a 2011 528i. The car has had nothing but problems. I HAVE had to take the car in over and over for Service. South Bay BMW also lied on the CarFax. They covered up a previous accident on the bumper of the car. When I asked for a replacement and another car, OWNER PETER BOESEN REFUSED TO SERVICE the car anymore. Now I am awaiting hearing from BMW NORTH AMERICA to resolve this issue. Shame on the rip off Kings South Bay BMW.

I am very disappointed and heartbroken with the service South Bay BMW on Hawthorne Blvd. provided me. I brought my car in several times for the same problem over and over and ended up paying a total of over $8000.00 to BMW and still did not fix the problem. First time I brought the car in was because you were running a promotion where BMW was offering free inspection and so forth.

The second time I brought the car in was another promotion BMW was running. During this visit my oil was changed and an inspection was done. The result of the inspection found and advised me that I need new brakes, new tires and other things listed to be repaired. After speaking with the adviser and giving me a quote of a couple of thousands to fix the problem. He also advised me that it would be about 600 to do a tear down. I told him I would think about it and get a second opinion and maybe save me some money.

So I left the dealer and looked around online and made some calls to other shops and found one. This shop advised me to bring the car in and they will take a look at it. Which I did, I did not advise them of anything BMW had mentioned to me. He did some work on the car and changed my tires, brakes, water pump and other things. I paid this place about $2000.00.

Pick my car up and went home, found the car was shaking and engine light soon came on. So I called the second shop back, advise of what was happening and advised me to bring the car back in. So I did and he fixed the service engine light and also seemed to fix the shaking. I picked up car and went to work. After work the car was still shaking a little so I decided when I woke up to call BMW and make an appointment. When I bought the car in, I had advised them of the problem of shaking and noise.

I also provided you (BMW) with the paper work showing what this other shop had done to the car but the problem had not been fixed. So you (BMW) gave me an estimate and advised me that this is what is wrong with the car and I agreed to fix the car. I picked up the car and paid you (BMW) over $5000 for the repairs. Drove the car home, two days later the service engine light came on and the shaking back. So I called back and made another appointment to bring the car back. When I bought the car back they advised me of what was wrong and I wanted the car fixed. I even had extra work done to car which you (BMW) recommended and paid over $2000.00 on this visit.

Once again I drive the car home and the same problem arose. I did not call you (BMW) right away thinking and hoping the problem would go away. The problem did not so I called you (BMW) again and had to bring the car back. This time they said they would have to do a tear down to find out what the problem to car is and the cost would be about $600. Of course I have already paid you (BMW) a large amount and I wanted the car fixed. So I wanted you (BMW) to do the tear down.

I received a call a couple of days later advising me that I might need a new cylinder head and the cost would be about $6000.00. I couldn't sleep that night thinking I spent all this money and the problem had not been fixed and I would have to pay an additional $6000.00. The next day when I woke up and getting ready to go pick up the car, I went online and wrote almost about the same exact things I'm writing now.

An agent called me back and said that someone will be contacting me right away. So as I am on my way into picking up my car I receive a call from Kim, the service manager at BMW. I explained to Kim what is going on with the car and how much I've paid and the car still is not fixed and still have to pay more money, which would be totaling to an amount over the value of the car. So I arrive at the dealer and speak with my adviser at the time and also speak with Kim, the service manager. They did not want to do anything at the time and wanted to blame the other shop for them working on my car and charging me so much money and not fixing the problem.

Even if this was the case, I had shown your adviser the receipt showing the work done by this other shop. My adviser also clearly typed it in to the computer what this other shop had repaired and printed it out on the work order form. Kim advised me that this shop broke my car, that I should request a refund and bring that refund, and they would work with me on the price of the rest of the repair. I did go to this other shop and the owner called my adviser, spoke with him and also spoke with Kim about the matter. He had it on speaker and by listening to the conversation, Kim was just trying to push the problem away and blame someone else.

At this point I find out listening to the conversation that this person at the other shop use to work with Kim and my adviser at BMW. So I take legal actions in trying to get my money back because at this point, it looks like I just paid a lot of money for nothing. Started the legal process and find out it would cost me a lot of money which I don't have. So I decided to go to small claims instead. Maybe I'm not a good speaker and couldn't present my case well to the judge. Also did not have an expert mechanic with me in court. So I lost the case. I should of asked the other mechanic to be a witness and come with me to court.

I ended up paying this other shop another $4000 and up to find me a less mileage engine and install into the car to fix the problem. It's not that I wanted a refund of the money I paid you (BMW). I just wanted you to man up and fix the problem. I had paid you (BMW) a lot of money for the problem and it was not fixed. I can't believe also the service manager, Kim, would also say in court that they had advised me it would be a continuing process to fix my car. Where would you go and have your car fixed and they charge you over and over for the same problem reported and it is a continuing process to fix?

I also can't believe she made it an issue where it was related to me where the second shop I went to is an ex-employee of BMW. Whatever happened with your ex-employee had nothing to do with me. I just found this out when Kim, your service manager, was trying to point fingers at him for my car having problems. Of course I did not pay him over $8000.00 for the problem. I paid you (BMW)! I guess it’s not true what you advertise on your website, "When it comes time to service your BMW, remember no one knows your vehicle like we do. We invite you to bring your BMW to South Bay BMW and experience what sets our service department apart from the independents."

My 2012 Mini has a problem with bluetooth. I tried to have it fixed, but can't get an appointment. I have tried to make an appointment or speak with service managers or owner of the dealership to no avail. When I called the director of service, Jeremy **, I was told he does not come in until after 10AM. When I asked for the owner, Peter Boesen, each of the three times I was told he was not available. I left messages for Kim ** and for over a week, she would not call back. After some brief research, I discovered dozens of horrific service complaints online and now know why these people don't call back.

I purchased my 3rd BMW in April 2012 at Long Beach, BMW and since then, I have visited the dealership for the 5th time today. First two visits were related to recall of headrest. On the third visit, I brought my car to South Bay BMW since my stereo was not working and was informed that the part for the stereo replacement will arrive in 10 days since it was shipped from Germany. The fourth visit was the actual stereo replacement, which happened 2 weeks afterwards. The seat belt is not properly working and I was told today by South Bay BMW that it'll take another 10 days for the part to arrive from Germany and that I will be visiting the dealership for the 6th time. The most infuriating experience is that my car was scratched on the front bumper after the car wash!

I am the owner of a 2005 Mini Cooper. I have kept the car in excellent condition and have been very loyal in terms of bringing in the car for all its service needs. I recently took my Mini Cooper to South Bay Mini dealer for its 60,000 mile service and to have the brakes replaced.

I was charged over $4,000 and got a "clean bill of health". I was told that everything looked amazing and the car passed all its tests. A little over a month later, the car will not accelerate. I had it towed to the dealer and was told that it needed a new transmission and the cost would be over $9,000.

How does a car with only 60,000 miles need a new transmission? How do I get a clean bill of health and pay $4,000 dollars only to be told a month later, "we are sorry but we do not check the transmission during our inspection"?

What a scam! I was told that my warranty is done and there is nothing Mini can do, except maybe lower the price of the service for repair. What can I do? What resources do consumers have when this happens?

I complain the BMW car maker and service dealer. I touched Parking safety bump with BMW 550i (2009 model). I saw my car loosed driver side end of bumper holder and small piece screen of above center bumper (not brake). I know many car drivers touch safety bump like me. My wife visited BMW dealer for fix which is not damaged (just loose) to service man who is Sergio. He told to my wife we need check up into your car because maybe it is big problem with charge. I understand but I think he knows my car is not accident. They push customer and charge something first. I think it never get accident with this car. It just touched Parking safety bump. I explained I just touched Parking safety bump. I think this loosed problem is not my fault so I don't want pay for that. Many car driver touch safety bump but that is not loose. In conclusion, Car maker make very week holder for car.

When Southbay BMW sold me the extended warranty, they told me that it's bumper to bumper coverage but actually that's not how it is. I had a break light problem and took it in for repairs. For 3 times, they could not fix it and finally, they told me to just pick up the vehicle because they could not find the problem.

I'm outraged! They waste my time and money on a warranty that doesn't even cover simple repairs.

The following is a letter that I sent to the dealership:

"Issue #1 -- Shortly after purchasing the car, the yellow tire pressure light came on. I brought it in to your Service Dept. and was told a faulty and overly sensitive sensor in the right front tire was the cause and the repairman turned off the light. The tire light came back on almost immediately after leaving the lot. I took the car in a second time to have it examined and again Lino, service rep. told me there was not a problem with any of the tires. The repairman turned the light off and within a day, it came back on.

Shortly after my last appointment, the car felt strange to drive and I took it to the nearest tire repair shop and was told that the tire rim was bent due to low tire pressure and the tire was ruined. I had to replace the entire rim and tire at Stokes Tire in Santa Monica. This was clearly a problem I brought to your service department's attention several times and the repair should not be my obligation. My expectation is that your dealership will reimburse me for the bill that I have included of $637.22.

Issue #2 -- I purchased the car from you with 9,735 miles on it and at 17,735 miles I was told the clutch needed to be replaced entirely. During a routine service at Nick Alexander Imports, I asked about a new squeak when releasing the clutch from a stop. I was told the clutch was worn out completely and would cost $4K to replace. I took a "driving test" with their service manager to prove I could drive a manual transmission and upon telling him this was purchased as a "Brass Hat" from your store he said that changed everything and he would talk to Mini USA. I also reported this issue to Mini USA on Dec. 23, 2009 and opened a case. The result was that I ended up having to pay $959.10 for labor and Mini USA paid for the parts.

My understanding is because this car was used as a "Brass Hat" that there were expectations that the clutch would be in good working order when purchased, however, the new clutch I received felt entirely different than the clutch I had after purchasing the vehicle. It is my belief there was serious wear on the clutch when I purchased it from your dealership and this repair should not be my obligation. My expectation is that your dealership will reimburse me for the bill that I have included of $959.10. The total reimbursement that I am expecting from South Bay Mini is $1596.32 and to be paid no later than Feb. 15th, 2010."

I purchased a 2008 335i BMW in June 2009 from South Bay BMW. I was very clear when I spoke with the salesperson Josh, that my only criteria were that we stay within my budget and that the car be equipped with Bluetooth. He proceeded to show me a used 2008 335i with only 7500 miles. It was equipped with the "sports package" and had the Bluetooth I wanted.

We test drove the car; I thought the price was acceptable; we negotiated and I signed on the dotted line. Before going to the loan agent, Josh asked me for my cell phone so that he could synch up my phone to the cars Bluetooth. I handed him my iPhone and was whisked away to the loan agent. When I returned, Josh told me he was unfamiliar with iPhones and had not been able to synch the phone. No big deal, I thought, I would get one of my friends to help.

A few weeks later I asked a couple of my friends to help me synch up my phone to the cars blue tooth and they weren't able to get the command to function. I had left the user manual at home and we couldn't reference what the issue was. I wasn't in a huge hurry to get this task done and I figured I would get the one of the BMW dealers to help me next time I was in. 3 weeks ago, an engine light went on and I drove to the closest dealer to my work (Century West BMW) to see what the issue was. While I was there, I asked the service agent to help my synch up my phone. He took one look at my car and proceeded to tell me that my car did not come equipped with Bluetooth. He suggested I contact my sales agent. I was very upset.

I immediately called Josh and was sent to his voicemail. I received a call back within 24 hours, where he proceeded to tell me that my car was not equipped with the "Bluetooth package", that my car had the "sports package." I reminded him that I when I purchased the car I was specifically looking for Bluetooth and that he had taken my cell phone and had tried to synch my phone, and that he had lied when he said that he hadn't been able to figure it out. He said an after-market product would be a solution and that I should go buy one. I told him it wasn't the solution I was looking for, and that I had been lead to believe that I was purchasing a car with Bluetooth, and that the only solution I wanted was to have the car equipped with Bluetooth. He promised to call me back the following day. 3 weeks later, I've yet to hear back from him.

South Bay BMW Company Profile