Auction Direct USA

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a '06 Dodge Grand Caravan on July last year. It had 17,000 miles. I also purchased an extended warranty package with them with a $100 deductible waiver if repair work is done at their service department. The problem is I have the oil and filter changed every 3,500 – 4,500 miles. Several months ago, the oil sensor light came on and I had to add 3 quarts of oil. I've never had an engine to consume 3 quarts of oil between oil changes that is in my 50 years of driving experience, 1-quart maybe but 3, never. I suspected excess engine oil consumption but could see no leaks or burning smoke from exhaust. I took the car to Auction Direct and asked that they advise of cause for excess consumption. They recommended that I pay for an oil and filter change by them to ensure that 5 quarts were added and that there was no filter leaks. Then I was to bring it back at 3,500 – 4,000 miles for them to evaluate oil consumption.

I left the car with them today and the service technician called to say that Dodge states that oil consumption is normal at 1 quart per every 1,000 miles. Translated that means that if I wait 4,000 miles to change oil, I would have consumed 4 quarts of oil. I have owned Chevys, olds, Pontiacs over my lifetime and none of them consumes this amount of oil without a gasket leak or oil burning. I believe this position to be unacceptable. I googled excess oil consumption in Dodge and saw reports of similar excess oil consumption with root cause being leak in the air intake plenum gasket. Repair kits were installed in the Hughes Engine Plenum gasket, the oil consumption stopped, and even mpg improved. Auction Direct takes the Dodge dealers statement that 1 qt/1000 miles is okay and will not pursue the intake plenum gasket repair route. I don't believe I'm the only person with this problem. I'm concerned that if I'm driving on a highway trip with a 2 - 3 quart low on engine oil and miles away from a service station... will my engine blow up or cause irreparable damage placing me and my family on the roadside stranded. Any ideas on what to do?

I bought a Mercedes C320 2002 on 3/09. I have replaced two batteries, spent $1300 on electronic problems. Once a week, when I would turn the key, it does not start. On 3/10, I traded it in with a Toyota Camry.

Auction Direct USA Company Profile