Antwerpen Toyota

Clarksville, MD

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Hidden costs at Antwerpen Toyota in Clarksville, MD. Called to offer $17500 on a 2008 Tacoma that was listed for $18988, expecting tax, title, tags, and a $300 processing fee on top of my offer. After saying "Let me call you back," he texted me a quote of $21108. I asked for an itemized breakdown. $695 for reconditioning, ok the cost of doing business, I guess. $1495 for a MD state inspection. I live in VA and we pay $16 for ours. When I asked why so high, he replied, "It's different and costly for dealers." HMMM. I checked the web for MD cost and found $60-110 for any Joe F. Schmoe to get their car inspected by a state certified technician. WTF?! Needless to say, the sale went south, QUICKLY!!!

As everyone knows, buying a vehicle is typically a nightmare. This was not the case. I met Pierre after I did an on-line inquiry about a vehicle. I loved the car when I drove it but really wanted black. He called me in a half hour and said he found one. I went back the next day, drove it and purchased the vehicle. Dave in finance is the nicest guy I have ever dealt with, and the system they use so you can see exactly what you are signing is state of the art. I would recommend them to anyone, ask for Pierre.

I don't ordinarily leave reviews but I felt the my experience with this dealership was exceptional. I was immediately greeted and welcomed in upon arriving. I wasn't entirely sure what I was looking for but the person helping me (can't recall his name) a gentleman with dreads, showed me my options. I'm a single mother with two small children so finding a car that's safe amongst all else was important. He was honest and forthcoming and made me feel like I made the right choice. Good customer service is hard to come by so I was very impressed.

Reviewers and potential car buyers, the integrity and work ethic of the people in Antwerpen Toyota is questionable. In my previous review, I stated how ecstatic I was about buying a new car, in which, I still am, but regret buying from them. Their focus is more on sales than customer service. More attention is gravitated towards male clients than females, but of course, current female workers will deny to this review, in order to keep their job and title. Why should I give you a +5 rating and speak highly of Antwerpen? Customer service has not come into play here. If they consider all the factors, more people will know about this place. So, I say this, if you're desiring customer service, think again; you will wait until you forgot why you was there originally. If you want a car, consider it your lucky day; you will skate on air through the process.

Why is that salesman of Antwerpen? Once they sell you the car, the salesman will have amnesia on who you are; however, if you're male, you're exceptional. My salesman rarely said anything to me when I came in to pick my tags. He lost major points and I'm going to have to survey him again with Toyota. I thought I was doing a service in purchasing a car from this dealer and not from anywhere. I have called just about everyone in their departments considering car payment information, credit information, tags, title and registration, etc. It's backwards for the customer to be giving the dealership customer service. Where is my customer recognition award? This dealership probably haven't received so many calls until they met me. It's obvious they like to be pursued. It's ludicrous.

They have a motive and I believe it's to abandon people with cars, as they shop around with a bank that will give them a good deal. Mind you, they are moving to their new building. Possibly, our sales and down payments helped make that happen. Just an observation. Customer service needs to be in existence, despite your transition to the new building. You need to treat people better in order to have clientele and increase sales, volume, revenue, whatever it is. In conclusion, keep researching for dealers. Some of the things this dealer advertise on third party sites is not transparent. Toyota corporation needs to look into this dealership to see actually what is going on. Be blessed & best of wishes in your car search. :)

We were given a meet and greet by ** and we told him that we were interested in a Subaru. We asked him the price and he said, "It is something like $14,600 on the internet." He immediately looked at our old car and asked if this was the trade in. Being a former finance manager this is totally wrong in the car sale step process.

First - Meet and greet (Yes he did).
Two - Land on a car, qualify and Interview (We already found the car).
Three - Six position walk around (None).
Four - Test drive (None).
Five - Trial close (None).

Six - Close (None).

First of all ** didn't ask any questions like; do you live in the area, first time here, how did you find out about this automobile or even try to strike up a decent conversation? Next wrong move is that he didn't perform a six position walk around and even tell us about the features and benefits. All he wanted was the keys to the old car to get it appraised. The strange thing is that we threw a few questions out about the car and he couldn't answer any of them. Easy answer is "I don't know but I will find out for you" or "let me write these down" or "I will address this with my manager."

Final question is that he asked if we would like to drive the car, of course I told him "all cars drive the same" to see his reaction. Nice salesperson but he needs to be properly trained to sell! He should have said "hey jump in, I want to show you everything about this vehicle" and start driving around the lot. Biggest wrong move is that when we sat down all he wanted to show us was the Carfax, no write up, no telephone number, address, no contact information, nothing! How are you going to put us in the "UP log". We just got up and started walking out. ** and ** (Used car director) were chatting in the office. ** made an assumption of the clothes that we were wearing and said, "These people probably can't afford a cheese burger!" Sorry ** we buy anything we want.

We came back the next day to spite his arrogant mouth and sat down for a possible deal but our salesperson ** was off that day. So ** gets angry when we told him that the "Jack Says Yes price is $16,488 and we were also told it was $14,600 yesterday by **". He told us that price is before MD state inspection and prep fee. Sorry Jack Antwerpen that is false advertising and deception. Here we are ready to negotiate and ** says, "That is the price of the car, you don't like it, then you can leave, I'm not dropping it a penny!" We left and will never come back!

My question is why do you have a manager who is so confrontational, falsely advertising prices and untrained salespeople who are not working the "Steps to the Sale" process? When I was in the automobile business I would have trained ** to properly sell cars and fired **, for he is costing you money. Gee Jack do you like losing money? Does your family business mean anything to you? Do you like people leaving with a bad impression? Does your reputation mean anything? Remember the rule of 8's? My family has been in Clarksville since the 1800's and we are well known, do you think I am going to recommend your dealership to anyone? You need to hire a mystery shopper and truly see what goes on in your business!

After telling a few friends of mine this story, they too told horror stories of your dealership! Your commercials are just "Smoke and Mirrors!" Ok Jack, the next time you check on Toyota used numbers and want to know how many you got out for the month. Just think how many left and will never come back and what they will tell their friends?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Antwerpen Toyota?

PLEASE as part of your new vehicle package, don't let anyone sell you nitrogen in your new car tires for almost $700. This is wrong. You can get it for much, much cheaper if you really want it or think you need it. Research. Please. Also, web says savings to you is, then gives big figure, again, to you, but with extra costs added later savings to you is not nearly the same. This may be a hook. Please keep both eyes open. We ended up getting our Camry LX at Carmax in Laurel for hundreds less and no mention of nitrogen for the tires.

The worst Toyota dealer with sales people lying to customers. I have been leasing Toyotas since 2008 in different locations, but this dealer is worst. Please do not believe their special offers and ads! IT'S ALL LIE! I received a poster by mail promising to forgive the excess mileage on my previously leased Camry without any additional charges if I sign a new car lease with them. I did sign the lease but one month later I received a bill for excess mileage, which is in the collections now. I tried to talk to sales personal and manager but they said they never issued the poster and called me a liar. This could happen to you. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE!

$17768 price on the internet. I confirm that the vehicle is still there and hasn't been sold. I drive for an hour and a half to get there. Sit down with the salesperson after inspecting the vehicle and find out that they add almost $3000 to the price in illegitimate fees that are not disclosed up front. Sticker on the window was $25,600. Salesperson says that is retail and the real price is somewhere in between retail and internet price. I was fuming mad, but left quietly without giving him any opportunity to negotiate his fees downward as the vehicle was priced right at the internet price and there wasn't even a consideration of added fees in my mind. Deal over, my time and gas wasted.

I am in sales and I know that the number one thing is to set the right expectation with your customer. Antwerpen is hiding their real costs and trying to upsell you once you get there. Do they really get this many stupid people to buy into the crazy fees? This is blatant false advertising. I read nearly the same complaint with this company from another individual as well. The only thing that can be done is to alert you not to waste your time with this bait and switch dealership. Take your money to a dealership that respects your intelligence.

This week, I found an ad for a vehicle at Antwerpen Auto. The price listed on the ad was fair so I called, scheduled an appointment and test drive. The test drive was fine and the salesman friendly. However, when I sat down to complete the purchase, I was informed that Antwerpen adds a prep fee that was almost $2,000 in addition to the advertised price. I did not need financing and was ready to purchase the vehicle. I asked as to why did they not disclose the fees on the ad and I was informed it is their standard practice.

Mr. Antwerpen, clearly you say yes to any deal, as long as it is your deal! I would respect your dealership if this information was disclosed upfront. The bait and switch is the very reason car salesmen get a bad name. Please spend less on adding your face to every commercial and more in providing fair dealer for your potential customers. You seem like a pleasant man. I was looking for integrity in the sale. Honor your advertised prices or don't list them on the ads!

I was canvassed for three months on trading my 2009 Toyota RAV4 in for a 2012 of the same, but likely lower payments. When I wrote and asked for info, no dice! On October 18th, they had a sale for Antwerpen customers only. Nobody there knew what was going on. When I tried to get a quote, especially through writing, nothing. I wrote the manager, operations manager, sales manager and fired salesman, but absolutely no response. I called customer service. They would not return my calls. The dealership is horrible. Had they paid attention, they would have had two easy sales - one to my son (2012 Camry hybrid) and myself (2012 RAV4). Instead, we found Russel of Toyota Catonsville had a much higher satisfaction rating. We went there, and this week, both of us left with new cars. I made a personal visit to Antwerpen to complain, but all they could say was that they were restructuring. This has been going on for the last three years. The only bright spot at Antwerpen is Tim ** in the service department. These people do not care!

This is a follow-up: Air conditioning hasn't been repaired after at least 4 attempts. This time, I drove in 91 degrees and 100 degrees for an hour without air conditioning. Antwerpen already has over $1000 for the repair that never worked. They now want an additional $500. This time, it is the evaporator. Apparently, this is the part that requires the dashboard to be removed.

When the air conditioning first malfunctioned, I took it to another dealer, which said they would have to remove the dashboard to perform the repair. I took the car back to Antwerpen, where I purchased the car for repair. I understand Antwerpen never removed the dashboard for the repair. They never identified the cause of the problem but just made repairs that never addressed the actual problem. It appears Antwerpen makes their living not repairing things.

Hybrid battery. After replacing the hybrid battery (which I was told overheated and needed to be replaced at 10,000 miles outside warranty), the check engine light appeared not long afterward. I needed a regular battery (around $300). The check engine light lit up again. I took it to another dealer, which said the hybrid battery had overheated and the regular battery was low and that I needed a new regular battery. When I told them I had just replaced the battery, they found that the hybrid battery fan and motor needed to be replaced. Had the hybrid fan not been replaced, there is a good chance that the hybrid battery would have needed replacement again. Once again, Antwerpen was unable to identify the cause of the problem with very expensive consequences. My guess is that I didn't really need a new hybrid battery, only a new fan.

After receiving a dealer's response, they want $500 and will throw in the labor. I contacted Toyota. Toyota doesn't seem to do anything other than document it, confirm that it is not a recall item, and refer one back to the dealership with the promise that the dealership will be in contact within 3 days. To add, I have filed a complaint with the BBB and plan to proceed to small claims court.

Hybrid battery ($4000) had to be replaced right after the warranty expired. I was bombarded with extended warranty coverage offers prior to and subsequent to the repair. The disreputable Toyota dealer in Laurel doesn't perform manufacturer recommended service (such as changing the spark plugs and changing cabin and engine air filters) as recommended in the owner’s manual, but performs something called A/B/C service which doesn't include the primary manufacturer recommendations. Service price is two times the going rate in the area for the service.

They do make suggestions for additional repairs at additional cost, such as a minor tear in a rear windshield wiper. At one point, I was told the wipers needed replacement (which hadn't been apparent). The replacement pair functioned worse. For the last major maintenance (very expensive), the warning light appeared one week later and required a return to the dealer. The cost for diagnosis is $176 that will apply to the repair. I paid over $800 to have air conditioning repaired. Over a year later and several more repair attempts, the air conditioning still doesn't work. I am spending the little free time I have dealing with Antwerpen. What more could one ask for: service, proper service at a reasonable cost and not manicures, Starbucks coupons, donuts, and rental cars that come with inflated service costs.

On 6-24-2011, my son and I were greeted by Shawn **, and told him we were responding to a flyer we received in the mail. To cut the long story short, after running his credit report (because after all, he was the one trying to build up his credit and buy a car), he was denied because of a low credit score. An unknown man accompanied Mr. ** and told us my son needed a co-signer. After reluctantly agreeing, we were taken to Mark ** (finance manager), wherein we made it clear that I was co-signing for my son. Mr. ** gave my son temporary insurance in his name to expire on 7-6-2011, of which proves they were still leading me to believe I was the co-signer. It wasn't until after all the papers were signed did I realize I was the buyer and my son was nowhere on the contract. The following day, I called them stating I wanted to return the car, and even went up there Monday, 6-27, at which time I spoke to **, ** and Bonnie.

The visit was unsuccessful because they were not willing to take the car back, although ** said he has folders he could show me, in which he'd taken cars back. I reminded him (**) that he told me to bring in my disability proof of income, even showing him one of the forms I signed stating certain documents needed to be brought in, or the car needed to be returned. His response was that he didn't need it because all he needed was my handshake and my word. **, ** and ** said all my son needs to do is open a bank account in his name and make out the checks making the payments. Do this for 8 - 12 months along with cleaning up his credit report, and the finance company would see his name on the checks. ** said he would personally hand-carry the cx. checks to finance. In making a complaint to Toyota headquarters, they said that was false, along with others I have verified that with. The reality of it is, my son and I were misled; and I feel I should be able to get out of the contract.

Antwerp Toyota in Clarksville, MD is the worst dealership I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. There management has no problems lying; scamming & making false assurances in order to sell their vehicles. I was looking into purchasing a used vehicle & was up in the air about the vehicle, so in effort to make a sale I was told they would give me 3 days to try a vehicle out & in at that time I still didn’t want the car I could return it & the pending contract would be torn up. When I went to return the vehicle not only did the Finance dept deny the verbal contract but they lied to me about my trade-in vehicle & submitted contracts under false pretense without my consent.

I was given the runaround when I attempted to speak with the general manager & told that my trade-in had already been sold despite the fact that I still had my title. When I showed up at the dealership my car was sitting in the back lot unsold. I later spoke with the business manager who informed me that he did not care if I had a verbal contract. He had a signature and "that's all he cared about". I will never ever buy another vehicle from this dealership. They have no problems lying; falsify documents & abusing their authority to make a sale. I have been forced into a contract for vehicle I did not want & was charged an astronomical APR, and even thought I had been pre-approved for lower rate.

I was told I needed to lease and not buy since I didn't have great credit. Dave the finance manager insisted to write them a check for $3000.00. I told him I did not have any money. He told me it was okay because the company, NCT, would pay them and for me to make payments to the NCT. I wrote the check believing in him. Well, the company is ready to prosecute me for a bad check. I called Dave and he told me he was sorry there was nothing he could do. He said maybe I could get a loan and pay the company off. I told him it was because I listened to him as a finance manager and believed what he said. That got me in this situation and now this company wants to prosecute me. David said, “I'm sorry, but we can't help you.”

Also, I had 2 contracts which I realized that post dated 1st one 9/6/10, and second one was actually written on 10/14/10. They post dated that one to 9/6/10. Now Toyota Financial Credit is saying I owe them about $1500.00 on top of the $3000.00. This has been a horrible experience. I also contacted James **, the general sales manager, and of course I haven't heard back from him either. I need some advice on how I can stop them from lying to people and get out of the contract. Antwerpen Toyota has really done me and probably others wrong.

I purchased a Toyota Camry 2010 last month on July 3rd, 2010 from Anterwerpan Toyota. I discussed on phone with at least 3 person: sales person, Wally; finance director, David; and sales manager, Sarah, before traveling 30 miles to purchase from them. I discussed final out of door price, finance options, APR etc. However, when I reached there, they got me to talk to they're in charge. Todd who was very rude and now they have completely changed their words. They were not ready to honor their own coupons which was flashing big on their own website saying July 04 sale.

They charged me over $550 from their promised price and gave me ridiculous 7.74% APR even when I made $10,000 in cash downpayment at a time when Toyota was offering 0% financing. They just saw my desperation for vehicle and exploited me. I was in such hurry that I agreed and missed to see even scratches on hood and trunk. They are so rude that I do not even want to go back to them and talk all this. So, I thought of reaching you as suggested by one of my friend. They are just spoiling Toyota's brand name. I do not know if I shall get anything putting a complaint over here but hope this would reach Antwerpen and they can learn to better deal with their customers and honor their promises.

Antwerpen Toyota Company Profile