3.8/5 (676 ratings)
Find a Robo-Advisors partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Vanguard

Vanguard, founded by Jeff Bogle (who invented index funds), is a long-standing investment company that offers low-cost funds and robo-advising options. Its platform is intended for long-term investors who wish to buy and hold their funds. The company offers mutual funds, stocks, ETFs and options and requires no commissions on certain trades.

Pros

• Robo-advisor option
  • Free educational resources
  • Low-cost funds

Cons

• Lacks features on platform
  • Fund minimums

Bottom Line

Vanguard is one of the largest investment companies in the world and is known for its low-cost funds and robo-advising. It doesn’t have commission fees, but it does require certain fund minimums.

Top Vanguard Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Great variety of good performing mutual funds and ETF - no upfront charges, low fees on both index funds and ETFs - easy to use website, in transferring money from outside account...

Verified

When I had an emergency it was fairly easy to get my money. My portfolio was very diversified and I was able to keep abreast of any changes, trends, losses and gains. All in all V...

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is Vanguard?

Vanguard is a long-standing investment company known for its low-cost index and exchange-traded funds. It’s one of the largest of its kind in the world and has over 30 million investors. It’s not owned by outside stockholders — instead, it's owned by the customers who buy and own its shares, meaning Vanguard can give back its profits to customers through lower costs.

Vanguards offers commission-free ETF, stock and option trades, and the company has over 3,100 mutual funds with no transaction fees. It’s geared toward buy-and-hold investors, especially those looking to build a diversified portfolio from ETFs. Vanguard also has good educational resources for those wanting to learn more about long-term planning.

What is a Vanguard brokerage account?

A Vanguard brokerage account lets you invest in mutual funds or ETFs owned by Vanguard or other companies, as well as other investment products like stocks, CDs and bonds. It’s designed for investors who need more flexibility than Vanguard’s money market settlement fund offers.

How does Vanguard work?

You can start trading Vanguard ETFs, stocks, bonds and more through a money market settlement account. If you want to invest in Vanguard’s mutual funds and ETFs — or those of other companies — you’ll need a Vanguard brokerage account. The easiest way to fund your Vanguard accounts is by linking to your credit union, bank, savings or loan accounts.

When it comes to trading, you’ll have access to a basic trading platform that’s best for placing orders on Vanguard’s website and app. Unfortunately, the mobile view omits data like charting or the day’s change and volume. For certain investment products, like multi-leg options, you’ll have to call in your order with a live broker instead of completing it online.

New investors wanting some help and guidance can take advantage of Vanguard’s Digital Advisory, a service that provides professional money management for $4.50 per year for every $3,000 invested. The service is a robo-advisor that builds a basic index funds portfolio based on your personalized profile. You’ll need a Vanguard brokerage account and an individual taxable account, traditional IRA or Roth IRA to use Digital Advisory.

Vanguard fees

Vanguard charges $0 trading commissions on online trading of stocks, ETFs and Vanguard mutual funds. There also aren’t closing, transfer or inactivity fees. A few mutual funds charge purchase and redemption fees to discourage short-term trading and cover high transaction costs.

The company’s management fees, or expense ratios, are as follows:

• Mutual funds: 0.10%
  • ETFs: 0.06%
  • Target-date retirement funds: 0.10%

Vanguard also charges a $20 annual service fee for brokerage accounts and accounts with only mutual funds. This fee is waived for customers opting to receive statements electronically.

If you want to invest in Vanguard’s mutual funds, a minimum of $3,000 is required to fund your account. Vanguard also requires a minimum investment of $1,000 for any Vanguard Target Retirement Fund or Vanguard STAR fund.

Vanguard FAQ

Is Vanguard good for beginners?

Vanguard may be good for beginners — its library of educational resources can help first-time investors get started, but new investors may find it challenging to meet the fund minimums.

Is Vanguard a good investment?

Whether Vanguard is a good investment depends on your needs. Vanguard is known for its low-cost investing and is ideal for retirement savers and buy-and-hold investors.

Does Vanguard have account minimums?

No, there aren’t any account minimums, but there are fund minimums of $1,000 or $3,000, depending on the account.

What types of funds does Vanguard offer?

Vanguard offers mutual funds, ETFs, options and stocks.

Is Vanguard good?

Yes. Vanguard is a trusted leader in low-cost investing due to low expense ratios on index and exchange-traded funds. Its founder, Jack Bogle, invented index funds. Its services are ideal for buy-and-hold and retirement investors looking to build wealth over the long term.

Those new to investing might also appreciate Vanguard’s free educational resources and explainers on its website, as well as its low-cost Digital Advisor service. Active investors looking for a comprehensive trading platform may be better served elsewhere, as Vanguard’s website and app are pretty basic in terms of features.

Vanguard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

We trust Clark ** and he recommended Vanguard for money management. We have a live advisor verses a robo advisor. The management fee is only .03%! After answering his questionnaire he put us in 60/40 stocks/bonds. After one year we are up 15%. However, the market has been going north and to me the true test will be during the downturns. We are in our '70s and feel comfortable having our retirement fund with Vanguard.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I have used Vanguard for my former employer’s 401K and subsequently rolled that 401K into an IRA. They have been easy to work with and the choices for investments have been great. They work with you to create a portfolio tailored to your individual investment goals and stage in life. The funds I have invested in have generally have exceeded my expectations on performance while the fees have been minimal.

Get buying tips about Robo-Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Clear and precise statement. Good customer service. Have always resolved our questions with one phone call. Great dividends on their investment strategies. Several options for investing monies. As mentioned before, great return on investments.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

It helps me manage my investments very easily from any one of my electronic devices. It consolidate accounts into one place and is easy to navigate and understand. It works to help me avoid financial risks.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Vanguard is a trusted leader whom I depended on over five years. The have mutual fund which I invested in was fantastic. Their charges are moderate and have excellent website. They never disappoint. Their slogan is Vanguard is the best.

Original review: May 19, 2022

My company used Vanguard as 401K manager. I have accounts on ETrade, Fidelity, Ameritrade and Schwab. By far Vanguard is the worst of the bunch. Their site is horrible - can't even compare performance of funds - need to select each individually. I dare you to try calling support. Wait time today was 1:50 (yes - one hour and 50 minutes). Then they screwed up and I had to call back - another hour+. They don't have online real person chat, so that's your only option. I transferred it all out and so happy to be done with Vanguard. It was the worse eCom experience ever - and that's saying a lot.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Manages retirement account, slow, not helpful, customer service is a joke, ridiculous wait times, lies to customer, and customer service outsourced out of United States. Do not waste time, find another company.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Wow well over 2 1/2 hours on hold just to get a simple answer!!! Just needed to know how and if I can withdraw money from my 401K to pay for my wife classes she wanted to take. Closing my account with them and finding a place that hires people to answer questions..

Original review: April 11, 2022

I contacted Vanguard to roll over my old employer's retirement plan into my new employer's account. This has been an extremely long and painful experience that I would have never had with a competent company. Each time I tried calling the Vanguard Retirement Plan Participants phone line, I was placed on hold for over 2 hours and sometimes 3 hours. The first time a representative finally came to the phone, he was incompetent and gave me a long laundry list of instructions to follow in order to conduct my rollover. It was obvious from his attitude that he didn't give a **.

I followed all of his instruction, dotting all of my I's and crossing all of my T's. The next day I received a voice mail message on my cell phone from Vanguard saying there were additional details that they needed for the rollover that apparently the representative had failed to ask me. So I called back and waited on hold for 3 hours for someone to answer. When I finally spoke to someone, he sends me through another 20 minute laundry list of instructions that he needs me to include in a letter that I have to write and mail to Vanguard.

I have completed several rollovers from former employer retirement plans and have never had one even remotely this complex and time consuming. So I write the letter that he requests and mail it. He tells me that there is nothing else to be done on my end. So I wait. Several days later I receive messages on my Vanguard account saying that I failed to complete several documents that he never told me about. So I go online and have to complete and upload these documents. Then the online account balance of my old retirement plan goes from tens of thousands of dollars to zero. I assume this is because the rollover is in progress.

Two weeks later I receive a distribution check of $419 in the mail, one of two checks that I was supposed to have received through the rollover. But the other check of tens of thousands of dollars does not arrive. So I call Vanguard back and wait on hold for 2 hours for someone to answer. The guy who answers is completely incompetent and says he can't help me because I don't have an account with Vanguard. I try to explain that I am in the process of rolling over a retirement plan and never received the second check. He refuses to listen and insists on transferring me to someone else. I have now been on hold for an hour and a half waiting to talk to someone. It really should not be this difficult to speak to professional, knowledgeable staff in a retirement company. DO NOT USE VANGUARD!!!

Original review: April 6, 2022

Just look at VGENX, VGPMX and all the others over the past 20 years. They are stealing Billions from everyone's IRA, 401K and other retirement accounts. The SEC should have shut them down and made them return all the money they have and will continue stealing from all of us...

Vanguard Company Information