3.68/5
Based on 700 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Charlotte, NC

Warranty Direct has been a leader in the extended auto warranty industry for over 30 years. Our unique approach of "customers first" is what makes our business so successful and has earned us many awards, including a Forbes Top 200 company.

Our philosophy of "customers first" is made up of characteristics such as: proven reliability, financial stability, nationwide licensing/registrations and unmatched customer service. All of our claims are handled in-house so you can feel confident that your claim will be completed quickly and with the utmost care. Call today for a quote!

View More View More

710 Warranty Direct Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 30, 2018

I had heard about bad reviews and mentioned it to sales rep, he stated fake reviews. This is no fake review. This company is a SCAM COMPANY. They have monthly debited my checking account for some time and I thought maybe the sales rep was correct and calling them Fake Reviews. THEY ARE NOT FAKE REVIEWS, THEY ARE REAL. My car experience a breakdown and I call in, the call center told to get car home. I called the dealership and was informed they could not get to my car for 5 days. I needed my car that weekend for a trip. I took it to the my local shop and call in and spoke to a rep. She took my info down and informed to send in repair bill. Sent the bill "certified mail" and waited for a month. After a month of no response, I was informed bill denied because shop has not call in. I told the rep that I have followed rep instruction. They still denied. CANCELED MY POLICY TODAY.

Original review: July 25, 2018

My 2009 Mercedes GL450 is under a currently active extended warranty. While up on the rack for routine maintenance at my local Mercedes Dealership, items that ARE covered under the warranty were found to be in need of immediate repair (power steering pump being one of the items for an example). Mercedes will not deal with any outside company but I knew that I was at a licensed dealer which is required. Repairs were made per Mercedes specification and I submitted the claim. No response from Warranty Direct until after two emails I followed up by phone. The claim was denied because Mercedes did not call to open a case in the moment. Nothing was wrong with the claim being from a licensed dealership or that the items were not covered both were, but because of no phone call they took thousands for the policy but paid nothing!

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2018

These people are white collar thieves. Do not pay them anything. Buy warranty from your car company. I bought warranty from them. 6 years/100000 miles. Luxury plus care package. Sounded too good to be true. First I used it, they have all kind of explanations ready to tell why they won't pay.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Do no bother with company is a scam, as long you pay you are OK. Once you file a claim forget about it. They will refer you to the legal department trying to work their way out paying for the repairs. And about customer service NONE existence! Look elsewhere.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I went online. Got a quote. I didn’t activate because I was just comparing to what I pay currently... I got a call and I advised them I was not interested due to the price, "Thank you so much for giving me a call to follow up." He then got rude and said, "You get what you pay for" and hung up on me. I have never had someone be so rude to me like that when I was just being polite stating I was not interested.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Warranty Direct?

Original review: March 21, 2018

When I called Warranty Direct they said my wheel bearings were covered. Took to Firestone to have fixed. They denied the claim. They said it was wear and tear. REALLY? My car has 121,000 on it, of course it is going to have wear and tear on it. Makes no sense to me. I paid over $2000 for 5 years and 100,000 miles. So I guess if your rings on your pistons, crankshaft and etc. need fix they probably won't cover it because it's wear and tear. The Better Business Bureau better do a better review.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I'm at the dealership trying to get my car fixed. Before I paid for this warranty I had asked Matthew ** about wheel bearings hub assembly and all that was covered. He told me yes. I got the warranty and today that part is needing to be replaced. They called my warranty to check for coverage and now my warranty will not cover the wheel bearings. We cannot afford over $400. We are screwed. We needed this help. We can't ever get the part covered. We don't know what to do anymore.

Original review: March 3, 2018

If you sell your vehicle or it is totaled, Warranty Direct will not transfer your contract on your old vehicle to the new vehicle regardless whether your existing manufacture warranty had expired. I made $1460.48 in payments for my vehicle warranty and unfortunately the vehicle I was making payments on would not tow my travel trailer so I had to purchase another truck. So, Warranty Direct charged me $360.31 plus a $50.00 cancelation fee instead of letting me apply that amount to my new vehicle. Most car repair warranty companies allow you to transfer your money to another vehicle. Also, it took two months to get my reimbursement check. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 3, 2018

Warranty Direct has to be the worst out there. Stay far away from this company. My last visit to the dealer resulted w/ me embarrassed once again. Before I purchased it, the rep told me this was the best plan available. Had 2 issues. The 1st one: all types of switches were listed for coverage except the 1 I need. Called a junction switch for my 2004 odyssey. 2nd: seals were leaking, but not covered because in order for them to be covered, something has to cause them to leak. This is not the 1st time I have been denied coverage and to think I paid thousands for absolute nothing is heartbreaking. Also, mounts weren't covered.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I purchased the warranty from Warranty Direct one year ago, feeling confident with my purchase. They were quick to take the payment. BUYER BEWARE!!! This company is such a con, being sold on the fact that my motor, transmission and other major components would be covered in case of failure. On needing some of those things repaired I was told I was denied the claim because of the way the contract was worded. I also needed major repairs because my water pump went out on the interstate. My car overheated and blew the head gasket. They denied my claim because they said I operated the car without coolant. My wife calls me every time a light comes on in our cars, she pulled over immediately, took a picture of the dash and all the lights that were on.

This is what is in the contract to do, but it is our failure. I’m not a mechanic so I’m not sure exactly but I know it was like maybe for $8000 worth of work out of that amount. Warranty Direct was only willing to cover $300 less our deductible. What sense does it make to have a warranty if they’re only going to cover a small amount such as 300 out of $8000. So the promises of covering your car is a SCAM, I have already paid over $1300 in premiums then delaying a response by a day so they can take another payment. I could paid the shop directly the $8000 that it cost to repair something and skip the middleman. I am Livid!!! Please share this WARNING ABOUT WARRANTY DIRECT.com so others don’t get scammed!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We purchased the "Premium Care" extended warranty coverage in May 2015. This is the absolute worst extended warranty company with which I have ever had to work. There appears to be nothing that is covered under their warranty. We have had several issues with our covered vehicle, and each of the requests for warranty cover has been denied.

The latest denial was Monday, November 20th. The ABS system light began to flash and then remained lit. The brake pedal began vibrating hard when pushed. We took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis, and the dealer contacted Warranty Direct for authorization. The repair cost is estimated at $2100. Coverage was denied by Warranty Direct. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING COVERAGE FROM WARRANTY DIRECT!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I purchased the warranty being sold on the fact that my electronics i.e. backup camera, Bluetooth radio, sunroof and all those things will be covered up. On needing some of those things repaired I was told I was denied the claim because of the way the contract was worded. I also needed major repairs on my car like the arm oil pan housing or something like that. I’m not a mechanic so I’m not sure exactly but I know it was like maybe for $5000 worth of work out of that amount. Warranty Direct was only willing to cover $300. What sense does it make to have a warranty if they’re only going to cover a small minute amount such as 300 out of for 5000. I could pay the shop directly the 5000 that it cost to repair something and skip the middleman. I am Livid!!!

And more so because my car insurance company enlisted Warranty Direct as a perk? Well they must be paying “P” a large amount to solicit their service because when it comes to customer satisfaction Warranty Direct is not at all transparent. They will tell something is covered and when that part fails they find loopholes around taking care of you the consumer. Warranty Direct is not for the consumer. They are all about making money and bilking the consumer selling dreams while doing so. Please if you are reading this and considering buying from this company DON’T. I promise you I am not just some angry blogger. I have written very complimentary reviews where applicable but Warranty Direct doesn’t deserve not even one star. Please don’t do like I did ignoring the reviews. Take heed, run and take your business elsewhere. Signed Disgruntled BMW owner.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I spoke to Bobby ** from Warranty Direct a few months ago. I had read some reviews and a lot of them weren't too good. I asked him about it and he assured me that these were fake reviews and that his company has an A+ rating. Well after my experience with Warranty Direct I now know that all of those bad reviews are true and the warranties they sell are a complete scam.

When I asked about the coverage of the warranty I specifically asked about the transmission because I had some issues with the transmission in the past. He again assured me that any repairs of the transmission would be covered if the parts were broken or if they "failed." Well last week my transmission went out and I took it to the dealership. After they checked out my car and found out the parts in the transmission had failed, they submitted a claim to Warranty Direct and they came back and said none of the parts were covered under the warranty. If I could warn anyone I would tell them to NEVER sign up for a warranty with this company. They are unethical and it's a complete scam. I spent hundreds of dollars on this warranty for nothing. And for anyone reading this, this is a real review. This actually happened to me. Don't get suckered into believing this company like I did.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Warranty Direct is a scam!! I am writing this review in reference to claim number **. My contract has a ‘Luxury Electrical’ clause in which power lock actuators are covered for repair. I verified this information a day or two prior to me taking my vehicle in to the mechanic and I also verified that Warranty Direct would cover the repairs. When my mechanic called in to verify, Warranty Direct said that power lock actuators are NOT covered which is a breach of contract. My mechanic and I are perplexed because Warranty Direct says that they will not cover the door actuators due to wear and tear.

It amazes me how businesses can take your money, say something isn’t so and there isn’t anything that the average consumer can do about it even though things are written in black and white. The only way to make guys like this learn is to take them to court which is so time consuming. Getting ready for battle anyway. This is about principle.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

After buying this policy a year ago and paying for the program. I have a 4 year 48,000 mile protection. The first time I have problem with my truck they denied the claim! No help! I was told by the sales rep that emissions was covered, because I have surcharges on my policy for emissions and 4 wheel drive. I failed NH state emissions with a leak in my manifold. I had my mechanic call and file the claim. They denied my claim and said because of rust. The bolt rusted out that holds the manifold system to the together... OK it broke off. I called and the woman on the phone was nasty. I am now trying to cancel my policy and get my money back... (good luck) I asked to talk to a supervisor and was told they will put in a request. It takes up to 48 hours for someone to call me back. Let's see if they call me. What a waste of time and money!!! Sad very sad... I was lied to and ripped off!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Made claim, took 2 weeks for answer, no weekend contact when break down. Does not fulfill claim on warranty. AAMCO transmission expert states mechanical failure, but Warrant Direct says no. WD WOULD NOT RECONSIDER. They did not even inform me of decision.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I can see that you are also getting the runaround from Warranty Direct. Get used to it. I am on my second warranty from them for 2 different vehicles. I have been a customer since 2007 and have given them thousands of dollars over the years for top of the line Ultra Deluxe warrantys only to be treated like a piece of **. My latest dilemma with Warranty Direct is my last repair just before my warranty ended. I guess since they called me many times trying to get me to extend my warranty on my 7 year old vehicle and I decided not to extend. I guess that got me on the DO NOT PAY ANY CLAIMS FOR HIM list since he is not renewing.

I had a simple repair done, an ignition coil on the #2 cylinder, a mechanical breakdown in anyone's book. Service was done on a Sunday when they were closed. Mechanic was not able to get them on the phone since they were closed. I had to send in the claim myself which one of the operators told me was just fine since they were closed during the time of the repair. Now a month later and 5 phone calls later on my part I am told that they are not covering the repair.

First they told me that claims manager Dan ** said that since it was not a "catastrophic breakdown" that it did not have to be covered. I don't remember ever seeing that in any of my contracts. Then when I told him that none of my claims over the period of 10 years was "catastrophic" and all were covered no problem. Even the ones that I had to send in myself and all were covered without question. Then the story changed, then it was well you had other work done at the same time. They did an inspection and the coil was changed so you could pass inspection and that is not considered a "breakdown". Well the vehicle was brought in for a hesitation on acceleration which was later found to be because of a bad ignition coil. Sounds like a breakdown to me. While it was there I said I am almost due for an oil change and tire rotation might as well do that too.

Then the mechanic told me your inspection is up in a week or so should I do it? Yes I said. Then the female operator from the claims dept told me that since it is called "Dicks service station" it is not a mechanics shop it's a service station and they only pay for work done at a mechanics shop. Can you believe this **??? I even offered to pay for the labor for replacing the coil and they could just pay for the part. They said that since the mechanic didn't tell the prior to fixing the car (ON A DAY THAT THEY WERE CLOSED AND DID NOT ANSWER THE PHONE WHEN MECHANIC CALLED) that they will not cover the repair.

When I called to file the claim they told me that since they were closed at the time of repair I am fine to send it in myself. I am completely disgusted with this company. I have faxed/emailed in claims under the exact same circumstances in the past for 2 different vehicles and had no problems. I guess since I was towards the end of my warranty and I was not renewing it and I didn't have any other vehicles to buy a new warranty they no longer had any use for a long time customer. Sad, very sad business practice. Will never use them again and will never recommend them again.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I only had coverage for 20 days. They said I can cancel in 30 days and get my money back. HOWEVER, they want notarized paperwork of the mileage and another application of why you're canceling. I never used this nor will I ever. I just want my money back and nothing else to do with them. Do yourselves a favor and ask your dealership about warranties.

Original review: July 20, 2017

At 1st Warranty Direct was pretty good at paying my claims... Mind you, I only had to make a claim for water pump and alternator. They paid the claims (Well they tried to deny the alternator claim stating that a piece inside of the alternator that was making it fail should be fixed... but the piece is not repairable. I got someone else on the line and they paid for it). Fast forward to today, my contract expires on July 26 and on July 19 I took my car in for a water pump. The service manager called me to tell me that the claim was denied as it expired on June 26. I called in, and they are stating that they have to send it to underwriting to remove some erroneous code. I now feel like they are stalling so that my contract will expire and they will be off the hook. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I will have to get my lawyer involved. EXTREMELY UNHAPPY.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I purchase my warranty from Warranty Direct for like $2,200 for my 2006 Dodge Magnum. Warranty Direct promise I'll take care of everything. This is the best plan to have. The brakes and repairs on vehicles broke. The first time I rebuilt it and then they wouldn't cover it, so I had to go buy another engine. But because the new engine has its own warranty, they refuse to cover any warranty work on it sticking me with the overtime labor charges. They both pay the dealers labor and that's her Joyce and Quan.

Don't ever go to this company. They will scam you. Like the other guy said put the money in first in savings and order something else because these people are thieves. They promise you the world over the phone then laugh at you when you try and claim service. They should be in jail for thievery. They're stealing from you. Give them your money and they will treat you like a piece of garbage. You can't argue with them. They say no management to talk to. Run away from them.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Total RIP OFF. Please stay away. I purchased a warranty for my daughter-in-law 45 days ago. My car was a Buick Rendezvous 2002 with 48,277 miles on it. Received car from my mother who is 92 and has not used car much in 15 years. Car was perfect. After 45 days driving car had some problems. Car would not start. Jumped it. Car ran fine. Next day went to have checked. They told me battery was bad so paid $120. Bought new battery. Perfect. Solved starting problems.

Few days later making loud noise. Took it to dealer to scan. They told me needed wheel bearings which are covered under my warranty. Repair shop spent 9 hours on phone to reach claim people. Always busy. Took 5 days to reach person that told me they were refunding my money and would not pay. Stay away. Save yourself trouble. Really is a RIP off company. STAY AWAY. NOT GOOD. STAY AWAY. There is not a person on phone you can talk with. TO BE HONEST I THINK IT'S A GIANT IN WARRANTY FRAUD COMPANY.

Original review: May 7, 2017

My fiancé purchased this warranty and had a great experience when signing up. Of course that is how they get you. He was told that he was purchasing the premium plan and we would basically receive bumper to bumper coverage with the exception of the transmission. It was advised, if there is ever an issue to have the service center check everything, that way if there are any other issues it can all be taken care of at one time under one deductible payment.

When we turned in our car for A/C issues and called to get the status we were told, we did not have A/C coverage. This was a specific question asked before purchase. Our vehicle has front and rear A/C, and we live in TX - A/C is much needed. There was a delay in getting things started because that has us in the system as basic coverage, even though we had been paying for the premier. Someone did figure this out and corrected the type of plan we opted for. HOWEVER they were denying basically all but 2 parts to be fixed. Everything the service center found was listed in our contract as being covered with the exception of 3 actuators. I am fine and understand that these are truly not covered parts.

Our vehicle sat at the service center for FIVE weeks taken apart because Warranty Direct dragged their feet. We were told in week one that a request for an inspector had been processed. This person would go to the service center to determine what cause the problem. I was given a time frame on 24-48 hours that this should be completed. Week THREE I was told the same thing again with them denying having ever said this during week one. With this being another lie they have told, I told them to go review the call from that specific date. I also requested copies of all of our recorded calls. Of course, they are not allowed to do that, for privacy reasons. Whose privacy??

Between my fiancé and I we probably called in about 20 different occasions, which they had less than half of noted in the system. Our service advisor from Buick (who was amazing) called in multiple times himself. Because of all the different things he was told, he started calling from his personal cell phone and recording the calls. With him having at least three recorded calls on his phone Warranty Direct made the claim that our service advisor had NEVER called in... that is why everything took so long.

We eventually reported them to the Better Business Bureau and they were given a deadline to respond by May 2nd, which they did not. They did respond however on May 4th which just so happens to be the day our service center received minimal payment to fix a control arm and one other part that still did not fix our A/C. They responded with a "This claim has been paid. The customer's concerns have been addressed and we request this complaint be closed". WRONG! I was without my vehicle for over FIVE weeks and went to pick it up with the A/C still not working. Warranty Direct says that this issue was pre-existing. I was told by two separate customer service reps that the inspection report specifically stated, "No indication this is a pre-existing condition". We requested a copy of the inspection report to see why they could have denied paying this claim. They refuse to make this available to us. We are now looking into taking legal action.

Original review: May 5, 2017 Big rip off!!! Don't get. My transmission light came on, Warranty Direct told me take to Aamco, I did. I was covered for transmission. I had 190000 miles was good 'till 223000. They denied claim. I ask why. They said they don't cover because it wore out and stopped working [What! You kidding]. Isn't that why I bought it?

PEOPLE DON'T BUY. WHEN YOU NEED THEM THEY'RE NOT THERE FOR YOU. Left me hanging. 6000 dollar repair that was covered they won't pay.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I purchased a warranty for my car in 2015 through Warranty Direct. The car had approximately 146,000 miles on it and the warranty was to last 5 years or for an additional 100,000 miles, whichever happened first. So far they have only done $909 worth of repairs on my car. My car went to the shop a few weeks ago for transmission issues. I was not worried because I had the warranty, or so I thought. Warranty direct has taken me through a lot of changes trying to get my transmission fixed. One in particular that may cost me out of pocket anywhere from $1,000 - $3500, which makes no sense because my I was only to pay $100 per issue, so how did it turn out that I would owe that much money and they wouldn't fix my car?

I am reporting them to the better business bureau. I opted to cancel my warranty and was told I was due a refund. Today a representative calls me and says that I am not due a refund. He left that information on my voicemail. I call back and as usual you cannot get a supervisor and they representatives call are to tell you that a supervisor will call you back in 24-48 hours and of course no one ever calls back. Horrible customer service, false advertising, varying information, and not a reputable company. DON'T BUY FROM THEM. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

Original review: April 12, 2017

Paid 2500 for a useless warranty. The selling point that made me purchase through Warranty Direct was "Luxury Electrical" which by owning a BMW would be great to have because the car is so sensitive. Well my radio and parking brake went out. Needless to say they fixed neither issue. THESE PEOPLE ARE A RIPOFF. DON'T PURCHASE THEIR WARRANTY. They always say, "Read your contract," which you don't get until you've started paying. So I paid 2500 for warranty and have 4k in repairs so basically I'm out of 6k.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I dropped my vehicle off for repairs. It needed amongst other repairs new wheel bearings and a water pump. These were covered but the company will they will only supply aftermarket parts that are not of the same quality as the original parts. When I asked if they would pay the shop what they would spent on the aftermarket parts and let me put the parts on that I wanted they denied my claim. It was either put the cheap aftermarket parts on or nothing. This is the second vehicle that I purchased coverage for and I have struggled with both vehicles on getting them to honor the contracts. I would suggest that anyone thinking about buying coverage from this company to put the money in a savings account and go without a contract. You will be better off in the long run.

Original review: March 22, 2017

This company is a rip-off, I paid around $3,000. For an extended warranty. I never needed it until 3 years after purchasing the warranty and I was denied for coverage of a intake manifold that needed to be replaced. They stated it was carbon build up, RIP OFF.

Original review: March 21, 2017

I purchased Warranty Direct because I recently bought a 2010 Camaro. Waited the waiting period, my check light comes on timing chain very common with this car. They denied the repairs due to a pre existing problem they say. Which all used cars have pre existing problem we don't know of that's why you get a warranty to have peace of mind. Then you can't speak to no one in claims or supervisor like they are god or something. This company is a complete rip off and then they had nerve to say I had 30 days to cancel but why would I cancel if I have no signs of problems with the car.

And anyone who reads my review and you see a good review. Notice they don't say what's wrong with their car they just say warranty direct covered cost so that should tell you they are paying people to write review to sucker people into buying this warranty. SO PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE WARRANTY DIRECT. THEY WILL NOT COVER ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH CAR. DON'T GET SUCKER INTO IT.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Stay away from buying any coverage package from Warranty Direct. Sure they will cover the easy stuff like window switches and starters but when you really need them they leave you high and dry. I had a cam and lifter go out on my motor and they say the cause of failure was because of normal wear. Seriously!!!! When do motors start going out a little after 100k miles. Normal wear yeah right. Normal wear are belts and tires. So I guess it's normal for an engine to start knocking. ABSOLUTELY STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!! THEY WILL NOT HELP WHEN YOU REALLY NEED IT!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I went on the Warranty Direct website to get a quote for an extended warranty on my new used car I had just purchased. I never finished filling out the online form on the website when I decided against using them based on reviews online. I have been receiving no less than dozens of calls per week for all different kinds of warranty scam artists as well as calls and voicemails from Warranty Direct to call them back about a quote. These people are total scam artists who get your info, try to milk you out of thousands for a warranty and then sell off all your info that you give them to other telemarketers who spam your phone non stop.

Not sure about Warranty Direct?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Extended Auto Warranties for you.

Warranty Direct expert review by Lauren Fix

Warranty Direct holds more than $350 million in assets to ensure payment on claims, giving policyholders added peace of mind.

• Plan Choices: They offer six different extended vehicle plans. Warranty Direct is licensed and registered to do business in all 50 states.

• Benefits: Free roadside assistance, car rental reimbursement, trip interruption protection and unlimited number of claims.

• Car rental reimbursement: When calling in for a repair claim, alternative transportation can be made available. Paying rental car costs can add up quickly, so reimbursement for these expenses might offer big savings.

• Lower costs on newer cars: Price is determined by the age and condition of the vehicle, so buying an extended warranty at the same time as a vehicle locks in the lowest price and gives buyers added peace of mind.

• One point of contact: You'll only deal with one company. They manage their own vehicle repair claims and perform their own customer service so you can deal with the same expert team every time.

• Office hours: 24-hour customer service helps customers look for a nearby service center for convenience.

• Best for: New car owners, used car owners, busy families and high-mileage drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Warranty Direct Company Information

PO Box 2332
    Charlotte
    NC
    28070-2332
    www.warrantydirect.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business