Charlotte, NC

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5
This company is out of businessFind other companies

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Warranty Direct is an extended auto warranty company that offers plans ranging from powertrain-only to exclusionary. Benefits include roadside assistance, towing, trip interruption reimbursement and rental car reimbursement. You can pay upfront for a major discount or make payments over three or six months.

BOTTOM LINE

Warranty Direct offers a straightforward auto warranty experience with clear plans and an easy quote process. Its upfront payment plan won't work for most people, but the company does offer good benefits.

PROS

• Good benefits
    • Exclusionary coverage available
    • Customizable plans

CONS

• Unusual payment plans

Top Warranty Direct Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Warranty Direct?

I now have a Hyundai Santa Fe and I am the original owner. It is seven years old and once again have recently returned to Warranty Direct to help me keep my car for as long as I can without the worry of a huge mechanic's bill should my aging car fail for any reason.

A lot cheaper to buy from Warranty Direct instead of dealer. With very good coverage. Never had any issue in filing claim. Excellent customer service and in contract pretty much everything is covered are listed in detail. Very happy with my decision and definitely would recommend to others.

Find my match

What is Warranty Direct?

Warranty Direct is a company that offers extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. You can pay your car warranty upfront or over a three- or six-month period. Extended car warranties from Warranty Direct last from 12,000 miles to 150,000 miles and 12 months to 120 months.

Warranty Direct cost

Most Warranty Direct plans cost from $1,250 to $2,500, but prices vary based on vehicle type, length of plan and amount of coverage. Several reviewers mentioned that purchasing from Warranty Direct was much cheaper than purchasing from their dealer.

Warranty Direct has a quote generator that’s simple and straightforward. You provide basic information about yourself and your car, and the company emails you a quote. With Warranty Direct, you can either pay upfront and receive a discount or make payments over three or six months. Interest doesn’t accrue on the unpaid portion of your warranty bill.

Warranty Direct plans

Warranty Direct offers three different extended auto warranties at different price points: the Powertrain+ plan, the Preferred+ plan and the Premier+ plan.

Powertrain+ plan
      Warranty Direct’s most basic and affordable plan covers the following:
      • Engine
      • Transmission
      • Drive axle
      Preferred+ plan
      Warranty Direct describes the Preferred+ plan as its enhanced plan. It covers everything in the Powertrain+ plan and the following:
      • Brakes and suspension
      • Power steering
      • All-wheel drive and four-wheel drive
      • Cruise control
      • Fuel system
      • Engine tech
      Premier+ plan
      Premier+ is Warranty Direct's most comprehensive plan and covers everything in the Preferred+ plan and the following:
      • Electronics
      • High tech
      • Safety and software items

Warranty Direct coverage

You can have covered repairs made on your vehicle at any ASE-certified mechanic. Even if a specific repair isn’t covered in your plan, Warranty Direct works with you to find a course of action. Warranty Direct processes its own claims, so you don’t need to work through a middleman. Under certain circumstances, Warranty Direct’s extended auto warranties are transferable.

Every plan with Warranty Direct has a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you haven’t made a claim in the first 30 days of your contract, you can cancel it at no cost. This is a standard feature of most extended auto warranties.

Warranty Direct benefits

Every Warranty Direct plan comes with additional benefits. Warranty Direct benefits include:

• Roadside assistance: Warranty Direct’s roadside assistance includes flat tire assistance, lockout assistance, fuel services and other emergency road services.
      • Towing services: Towing is available 24/7.
      • Trip interruption reimbursement: If you’re traveling away from home and your car breaks down, Warranty Direct reimburses up to $500 of the money you spend making alternate arrangements.
      • Rental car reimbursement: If your car breaks down or is in the shop for repairs for several days, Warranty Direct provides up to $40 a day for up to seven days for a rental car. You can also put this money toward ride-sharing or taxis.

Warranty Direct FAQ

How do I cancel Warranty Direct?
      If you are still in the first 30 days of your plan and haven’t filed a claim, you can cancel your warranty and receive a full refund. If you’re past the first 30 days, the situation is more complicated. Reach out to Warranty Direct’s customer service for help.
      Does Warranty Direct cover wear and tear?
      On certain Warranty Direct plans, you can add wear and tear coverage to your car.
      Does Warranty Direct need to inspect my car first?
      No, but you need to provide your vehicle identification number (VIN) so Warranty Direct can have accurate information about your vehicle before making an offer.
      What can void my Warranty Direct contract?
      Many things can void a car warranty, including totaling the car, adding prohibited modifications or neglecting routine maintenance. The best way to keep your contract valid is to take good care of your vehicle.

Is Warranty Direct worth it?

Warranty Direct might be a good choice if you’re looking for an extended auto warranty. We like that claims are handled in-house rather than through a third party — this makes getting claims resolved more straightforward. The company also offers good benefits and has plans ranging in coverage from powertrain-only to exclusionary.

Warranty Direct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Warranty Direct?

Original review: May 19, 2020

I bought an extended auto warranty from Warranty Direct back in 2015 for $2100. I had only one issue with my vehicle - to replace the fuel pump - which at the time was very good warranty service. But something changed with the company along the way. I was going to call to see if I can extend my auto warranty because I only drove half of the mileage coverage. I just found out today they no longer offer any of their products since two years ago. So make sure if you buy a auto warranty from Warranty Direct - make sure you only buy on a yearly basis - otherwise they end the contract prematurely and take your money.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I have a Warranty Direct 5/100 Elite Advantage contract. The contract states:

1. Take your vehicle to the licensed repair shop of your choice.

2. The repair facility must contact the administrator's claim center by telephone for coverage determination and the subsequent issuance of an authorization number on covered repairs before proceeding with any repair work.

My licensed repair shop did exactly that on a covered repair. The claim's agent refused to pay any amount because the repair facility refused to answer some personal information not specified in writing in the contract. My written contract makes no reference to any of what the claims department says are their requirements. Not all parts come with a 1 year warranty and the contract does not specify that all repair parts must have a 1 year warranty. It is not in the written contract or referenced at all.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

The A/C stopped working on my Dodge so I took it to a local repair shop. They determined it was the condenser and called Warranty Direct. I expected WD would say it wasn't covered or nitpick the charges. To my surprise, WD approved the entire bill and I drove away that afternoon and didn't pay a dime of the $700+ invoice! Thanks, Warranty Direct!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I find it funny that the 5 star reviews are from people who have not used the warranty but like the price they got for it! I imagine the 5 stars will go to 1 star once they actually have to use it. I purchased what I thought was a great warranty but as soon as I had the need to file a claim the trouble started. The oil light came on in our vehicle when we were 3 hours from home and late at night. We limped it home and got it to the shop as soon as we could. Warranty Direct was contacted and our vehicle sat in the shop for weeks. They made us jump through all sorts of hoops and said the problem was neglect on our part and refused to pay. We changed our own oil, which they knew when I bought the warranty and said that wouldn't be a problem. We had to provide receipts and in the end they said this wasn't proof that we had done the work. Total scam!

Original review: April 29, 2019

This company is a total ripoff. They take your money and offer nothing in return. I was sold a policy and find it is worthless. Paid a lot of money for nothing. I would rather have donated it to charity.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had a Warranty Direct warranty on my son’s car. They looked for everything to not pay. The issue I had was clearly covered and we were told the shop that was working on our car did not call in the problem and they changed it and said they did not call in the specific problem. Which one was it? The shop that worked on the car had nothing to gain be calling in the wrong issue. I would not recommend any policy, but if you buy one do not buy the one from Warranty Direct.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Do not buy a warranty from Warranty Direct. When you make a claim, they make it so difficult for you, that you end up paying for the repairs. Read their contract before you waste your money. I paid for a warranty for over a year and now I have pay for my transmission.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Do not waste your money with this company. They are garbage! They will rip you off. The company does not talk to their own departments and end up dropping you without even letting you know. You find out when you put a claim. Then they flat out LIE about a refund and play dumb when you call to complain. Save your money and go somewhere else. WARRANTY DIRECT will rip you off!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

In November of 2017, I purchased the Premier Advantage Coverage for my 2009 BMW. Almost a year later in early November 2018, I took my car to the shop and turns out they need to replace two parts that are clearly covered per my contract. (Yes, I read most of it and since it is in PDF format, it is easy to do a search on keywords.) However, the Warranty Direct claims department told my shop they were NOT covered. So I called and they said they made an "innocent" mistake and that they were using a different contract to review my claim, for some strange reason. I had to email my real contract to the customer service rep (something I should not have had to do) and he quickly saw that the two parts were indeed covered! Within the hour, they called my shop and authorized the work.

If I were someone who does not complain or just takes no for an answer easily, it would have been about $1,600 out of my pocket! I simply do not believe that this was an innocent mistake. I think they deny claims on purpose with the hope that customers will just say "OK." Since I have already invested heavily in this warranty, I have not canceled it. But sometimes I think I'm going to regret not dropping them now and finding a better one (if there is one).

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

In my opinion I must say that I would never recommend this company. Truck breaks down, shop will not call Warranty Direct as they do not work with them. I filed a claim and it was denied. Reason: Shop didn't call in repair. How can they call in if they don't work with them? STUPID? All this company wants is your money. In my opinion I would stay away from them. Save your money and pay for your own repairs. Customer service is rude and no help at all.

Warranty Direct author review by Lauren Fix

This extended auto warranty company has inconvenient payment structures that won’t work for most people, but the plan benefits are good. Customers may pay upfront for a big discount or make payments over a short span of three to six months. Claims are handled in-house.

• Cost: The average Warranty Direct plan costs between $1,250 and $2,500, but plan prices vary greatly depending on the length of coverage.

• Plans: Warranty Direct has three plans: Powertrain+, Preferred+ and Premier+. Powertrain+ has basic, affordable coverage. Premier+ is the most comprehensive. Preferred+ offers intermediate coverage. Coverage ranges anywhere from one to 12 years and 12,000 to 150,000 miles.

• Benefits: Warranty Direct plan benefits include rental car reimbursement, trip interruption reimbursement, towing and roadside assistance.

• Standout feature: Warranty Direct’s trip interruption reimbursement is better than most companies — it gives customers up to $500 for lodging and food if their car breaks down far from home.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Warranty Direct Company Information