Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About Protection Direct

Protection Direct offers vehicle service contracts across the nation, with special coverage options in California. The company lets you pick your own ASE-certified mechanic and provides perks like roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Protection Direct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection Direct?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection Direct?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2014

I purchased a car with over 100K miles. 4 months later, I kept receiving marketing from this company once a week and phone calls once every 2 weeks. I kept throwing them away, until finally I thought maybe I'll need this car warranty. Even after purchasing the warranty, someone from the company kept calling to get me to sign up. I had to keep telling them that I already purchased it. BIG mistake! 2 months later, I had problems. Called the claims department, told them what was wrong and he told me where to take it and that the repair place needed to call them before any repairs were done. ALL REPAIRS WERE DENIED! Over $1100 worth of repairs. The guy should have told me this before I paid someone $100 to do a ton of diagnostics on the car?

Now I'm out that money and I will have to pay for the repairs myself. Of course when I called to cancel, I was put on hold for over 15 minutes. I called back later and they finally let me cancel after trying to talk me into keeping it. THEN 2 hours later, I got a call from the company making it seem like it was my fault that nothing was covered. Then he told me the repairs should be covered. Then told me to pay for the repairs myself and the company would reimburse me. There was no way that was going to happen. They denied my claims the first time from the dealership. How do I know they wouldn't do the same thing after the fact? This company can't make up their mind what they're doing. Never again will I be so naive.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2013

Today I got a mail from this company Protection Direct, Waterloo, IL. They wrote that I purchased my car 1 month ago. This is wrong. The whole mail is ** and tries to push people into a contract with this company. This company tries to take advantage of people who are not familiar with warranties and coverage.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2012

This company is misleading on anything to do with extended warranties. We purchased the 3-year, 36000-mile extended GM warranty not from Service Warranty Direct but from GM. We still have until July of next year on it and are nowhere near the extra 36000 miles we paid to extend the warranty for. We just had the vehicle in less than 2 weeks ago and the dealer told us we had until the end of July on our extended warranty with them. So if you get something from this other company, it's fraud and a scam they're running to try to get you to buy something you don't need. Ask your car dealer where you get it serviced, not some morons at a company that sounds like it's run by a foreign group not a United States-run company. Too many foreign countries try to scam the American public and you need to be aware of this. Check the BBB before buying.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2012

I bought the extended warranty from this company, and I should have known better. I had the same experience with a home warranty company also, and now they are being sued. I hope this company gets the same. I had a radiator leak and needed to replace the radiator. I took it to the shop, and it was there for 3 days, and the final answer was denied. Because they said it was there before the warranty. That’s **. Well, I canceled the warranty, and they emailed me about the service I received, and I wrote back saying that they can stick the contract up the **. I stopped the direct withdraw from my bank. I will never do business with the so-called protection for home or auto. They are a bunch of crooks. I advise do your homework and follow your feelings. Stay away from them scams.

Original review: March 30, 2012

Little after my car's original guaranty expired, I decided to open a policy with the "Service Protection Direct" as a replacement program for my manufacturer warranty. Their mailing address is 1301 Jamie Lane, Waterloo, Illinois 62208 and their phone number is 877-728-6040. A few weeks after I started my policy, I called for some repairs and was denied! Their reason: "There is a restricted period of time before having the freedom to open claims", which I thought was understandable. But recently, my transmission broke down due to internal transmission failure. I called and was denied coverage for this service! Their reason: "I don't have sufficient oil change receipts since I first opened the policy with them".

I explained that I usually purchase my own oil and have it changed by family members. Furthermore, since the transmission was not covered, I had to pay for the car rental out of my pocket. I have been paying $186.67 every month for this policy, over a year now. I'm supposedly under their "Platinum" package. I really think that they are targeting me because oil change is in correlation to the engine, not the transmission. I showed them proof of a few general maintenance services and a maintenance service I did to the transmission about 30,000 miles ago, but that was not enough for them.

The contracts that "Service Protection Direct" sells to the public are backed by the administrator Marathon, which is registered in the states it does business in. Marathon is responsible for all of their claims. Marathon's mailing address is PO Box 961, O'Fallon, Illinois 62269 and their phone number is 800-205-8988. By the way, my policy is still active today. I really don't know what further steps to take!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2010

I purchased an extended warranty on my 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup in 2008, after my factory warranty ran out with Chrysler. I received numerous letters from companies telling me that my factory warranty was running out, and I should immediately extend the warranty, making me believe that it was through Chrysler. I agreed to extend the warranty, because my pickup had only 83,000 miles on it and the warranty would extend it to 178,121 miles, which was great.

They wanted $200.00 up front and $133.00 for 18 months for the coverage, which I thought was okay, since if I had a major problem with transmission or engine, I would be protected. They debited my account for the 18 months of payments, and I completed them in last of October 2009. Keep in mind that I am a 53-year-old woman driving this vehicle.

I started having trouble with the vehicle, and it didn't want to start. My husband took the battery off and took it to be tested, and they said the battery was weak and replaced the battery. Still it would not start. Finally, I got it running and decided to take it to shop in Tyler (closest Dodge dealer to my house for warranty work). It stalled on the side of the road and had to be towed into Tyler to Allen Samuels Dodge/Chrysler.

They looked at the truck and said it had bad battery--all they could find. They also said I should not have bought a battery from Auto Zone and that it's always bad! I said they needed to look at it closer, because I was not going to come and get it and risk breaking down. So later that day, I got a call from them saying "Oh, we didn't see it when we talked to you earlier. But your truck has a bad head gasket (or something like that) and there is water in the oil."

I said, "Well, I have an extended warranty." And he gave me a number to call for the Chrysler Warranty Company, so I could present my claim. And guess what I found out? I didn't have a warranty with Chrysler; I had a warranty with some off-the-wall company.

When we called them, they said my warranty didn't cover anything to do with the engine. (By the way, they did cover the towing charge for about 7 miles to Allen Samuels dealership.) The charges to repair my pickup was estimated at $3500.00 by Allen Samuels Dodge. I had it towed again at my cost $150.00 from Tyler back to my house in Winnsboro. I will never, ever buy an extended warranty on a vehicle as long as I live from any company whether they represent themselves to be dealer-connected or not.

Original review: April 27, 2009

I, of course, was the sucker and bought their stupid extended warranty. After I had paid into it for almost a year, my transmission went out and I needed to get it replaced. Lo and behold, even though the information I received stated I was covered, they wouldn't cover it. They didn't really give me much of an explanation as to why. I was quite disgusted and decided to cancel the stupid thing. And the sales man tried to tell me how great their service was and how I should really keep it. “Yeah, right,” I said.

Well, he never actually closed out my account; so the next month rolled by and the $200.00 was taken out of my account. I called back and was transferred—no lie—10 times before I finally got a manager who didn't seem like his head was totally stuck up his **. Boy was I wrong. He said I had to wait 10 business days to receive a check in the mail with the money they took out without authorization from me. So I waited and waited and waited, 10 business days went by.

I called on the 14th business day and spoke to a manager who said it was mailed out that day. Are you ** kidding me? I already waited the 10 days I was supposed to for my money and now I have to wait longer because you guys probably screwed up again? I asked to speak to his manager and was told, and I quote, “This phone call will not go past me; I am the manager and the check was sent in the mail.” Excuse me, who the hell are you to tell me who I can and can't talk to? “We'll see about that,” I said. I called back and received the corporate number, and I put in a formal complaint in regards to the whole process. Stan, if you're reading this, kiss my **.

Protection Direct Company Information