MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty Miscellaneous Reviews

2.0/5 (132 ratings)

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Protect My Car

Protect My Car

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Pricing

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I have had MaxCare Auto Warranty company for both vehicles for many years. I don't know if they are just hiring just 'anybody' because of Covid, or this company is just that bad! I have never had the horrible service I am experiencing now. I have been dealing specifically with their 'CLAIMS' department, and I have been getting the runaround for about a month now! I paid $134 more than my deductible, which I did even think that was possible. I thought you only pay your deductible and no more, but that is not what happened so be aware! MaxCare was/is supposed to reimburse me that amount, but ummmm no. They said they will only reimburse me $111 because of some 'tool' fee from the company that fixed my car, Firestone. That sounds like ** but whatever.

I have spoken to 5 different people from supervisors to just regular workers about sending me my check. First, they said they had a bad address, then they said it was a problem with another section that sends the checks. When I called back two weeks later, they said they still needed my address!!!! This company is horrible. If customer service within the claims department is this bad, imagine how many consumers are being cheated, looked over, and mistreated! IJS.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I have a problem with my F150's Turbos not working. It's been in the shop twice for the same issue. This time Max Care has told the dealer to tear the engine down because they don't know what the problem is. That means that if the dealer doesn't find the issue that I would have to pay the estimated $500 for the tear down. What a asinine approach to an automotive problem. When I called Max Care they said tough nuts as that is what their policy says. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they wouldn't comply and in the end the agent just hung up in my ear. I'm going back to Car Max and complain to them because they sold me the warranty and it appears that they have skin in the game with Max Care which makes both of them sleazy.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I have had my car for over a year and I still have plenty of mileage available for the warranty. I took my car in for service because it was having engine issues. I am now being stuck with a bill because CARMAX and MaxCare want to play back-and-forth that who's at fault for my car. They are trying to stick me with the bill. I bought this warranty so they would cover everything on the car and I'm not able to utilize it because no one will take fault for the problem at hand. I have supplied everything they've asked for and they are still giving me the runaround. What's even worse is the shop I have my car at has a several cars there that are in the same predicament as mine as carmax Max care will not cover the fixes they to be done.

Not only are they sticking me with a $1700 bill for taking the car apart they are trying to get me to pay $1300 more to have the valve cover taken off so one additional picture can be sent in when that was the inspector's responsibility to make sure the car was how he needed to be able to take pictures. I would never recommend going to carmax for a car or using MaxCare to find a warranty plan.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Updated on 08/20/2022: This is a continuation of a Previous Post documenting my experience with CarMax's MaxCare Warranty. So my 2017 Ford Escape is in the shop for a total engine replacement with approximately 71,000 miles. My first call when my check engine light came on was to CarMax's Service Department. They were unable to give me an appointment to drop off the car for TWO entire weeks. Here I was without an operational vehicle and, even though they were unable to get me in for two weeks, MaxCare only covers 1 week of vehicle rental at $40 a day (the cheapest car rental available in my area is $46 a day). The rental would be over before the vehicle was able to even be seen by CarMax. I spoke with management in the Service Department and, basically, they will do nothing to remedy this situation (no loaner car, no contacting MaxCare for an extension, nothing, no help at all).

Updated on 08/18/2022: This is a continuation of my post from the other day (Day 2 of 7). I contacted the CarMax Roseville location where I purchased my vehicle in 2019 to share my frustration about the TERRIBLE experience that I had with their MaxCare Vehicle Warranty Customer Service. I spoke at length with the woman that answered, she put me on hold then came back and said that she was transferring me to a Supervisor in the Vehicle Maintenance Dept (She said they were the ones that handled warranty issues). I assumed that she was transferring me directly to someone . . . NOPE, I went into voicemail. I left a message and TWO DAYS LATER, I still have not received a return call. This is how CarMax treats customers. Stay tuned for Post #3 tomorrow. . . Yes, there is more to the story.

Original review: I cannot believe that a reputable company like CarMax is even affiliated with MaxCare Warranty. My experience over the past week will definitely make me think twice about ever purchasing another vehicle from CarMax. I purchased a vehicle in 2019 from CarMax with 46,000 miles on it. Just last week at only 72,000 miles the car needs a complete engine replacement. It is difficult enough that parts are hard to come by putting a lot of extra pressure on repair shops to get jobs done. I confirmed with the repair shop that they had sent all requested documentation to MaxCare (which they had) and I next reached out to MaxCare just to confirm that things were moving along. For some reason, even though the repair facility had already provided everything to MaxCare and was waiting for MaxCare to give authorization to proceed, the idiot at MaxCare kept insisting that they were an 'Incoming Call Center Only' and that the repair shop was somehow to know that they needed to call them back for authorization.

I kept asking for them to please explain their procedure to me and all that the idiot at CarMax kept saying is 'We are an Incoming Call Center Only' . . . basically meaning that they do not call anyone back. The more that I asked about the procedure, I kept getting the same stupid response. I hung up and called the repair shop again and they had no idea that the ball was back in their court to call MaxCare again for authorization. My car has already been sitting in the shop for 1 week today. Hey CarMax, why would you have such a stupid system in place where the client (me) could never get a call back and the repair shop could never get a call back. Seriously, an 'Incoming Call Center Only' to handle questions on repairing vehicles. CarMax, you should be ashamed. I am going to write something each day for a week about these idiots. Stayed tuned.

Original review: June 3, 2022

My partner and I purchased our MaxCare plan in late 2020, and it has been an unmitigated nightmare ever since. We just tried for the first time in a year and a half to get in contact with CarMax, and while the last time we spoke with them was bad enough (no two people that we spoke with were able to give us the same information), we discovered this time around that they've taken their contact information completely offline, I assume because their reviews are universally negative. Out of desperation, we contacted the Carmax corporate office in Richmond, VA to get Maxcare's contact information, because we had an electric motor failure & had no other option (the car that we bought from Carmax has been plagued with constant & myriad electrical failures), and it's been a constantly combative process ever since we've made contact.

They say that they need a diagnostic code to get a claim started, which is reasonable enough, but they have barely any shops that they work with directly, and there aren't any facilities of theirs that will even get us in the door until late July (it's June 2nd as I write this), and it's becoming clear to me that they make it maximally difficult to actually make good on your warranty by partnering with next to nobody, and not beginning a claim until a car is in the shop & has a diagnostic code, which is impossible to do since they don't proactively work with anything like a reasonable number of mechanics.

Maxcare also, in our experience, has a history of doing everything in its power to deny claims in a bad-faith way. In a previous instance when we'd had a mechanical failure, we'd managed, after significant hassle, to get the car in with an approved facility that worked with Maxcare, where it sat in the shop. The mechanic said there was clearly something going on with our AC compressor, but they would need to run a diagnostic to get a better sense of what exactly was happening, and Maxcare told him that he WASN'T ALLOWED to perform the additional diagnostic. It was one of the most stunning, breathtaking instances of a bad-faith/fraudulent business practice that I had ever seen.

Run, do not walk, away from any offer that you're ever given for a Maxcare extended warranty. For the love of God, save yourself the hassle, just go to a dealership & get a used car. The cars themselves will usually be in better condition than at Carmax, and just about any extended warranty/CPO/etc. that you get from a dealer or third party will be infinitely more useful to you than this worthless nothing of a policy.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Well whenever something is wrong or if I even think something might be wrong they take care of me. Got the car from Carmax and happy I got extended warranty. I thought just for peace of mind but it works and it’s worth the money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I detest the phone calls that come almost daily. You cannot turn them off. I would not purchase on on a bet. They will not take NO for a answer. I wish they had a phone number of their group to stop the calls once and for all.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I purchased a 2011 Infiniti G37 3 years ago. Since then, I’ve had to replace the slave cylinder because my clutch went out, I had to replace my transmission, couple malfunctions like my windows not going up and down properly, and now my AC stopped working and found out I had to get a new condenser because it’s cracked. THEY DID NOT COVER A PENNY.

They said they cover “only mechanical issues.” My condenser that needs to be replaced is considered a mechanical issue. The part is a condenser radiator dual part meaning it’s sold as an assembly which is about $600 and they denied it. I’m not sure why it cracked but I told them maybe I hit a rock or something and they said they wouldn’t cover it because it wasn’t a malfunction in the part. They need to do an inspection before approving it but why does an inspection need to be done if I was just told it won’t be covered because it wasn’t a part failure? In the 3 years I’ve had their warranty, I haven’t used it once because they didn’t want to cover anything. As of today, I’m canceling my warranty because it’s a WASTE OF MONEY and having the rest of the amount go towards my premium. It’s a freaking scam.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have used Maxcare in the past and it was a success. However I have had to use Maxcare again but this time my car was towed to the shop on a Saturday. I was out of a car and did not know that they aren’t open on weekends. I was shocked. Cars can break down any day and the purpose of the warranty is to be covered and also get in a rental with no hassle until your vehicle is ready. Well it was 3 days before I was able to get a rental but by then my car was fixed by then. It was rough calling and asking for rides to and from work. Being a single mom, it was tough. I do believe they should be open 7 days a week. Cars just don’t break down Mon-Fri.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Carmax didn't charge me the deductible upon getting my car back post a sensor being replaced. I told them that I'm supposed to have a 150 dollar deductible and they said I wasn't being charged. They then called a week later saying that I owe the 150.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Anybody want to contact me at ** to file a class section lawsuit please do! They won’t reimburse my money paid to have my car fixed. They keep saying they don’t receive the fax with all documentation requested and now they say they can’t read the documents via email. This has been going on for 4 weeks now.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I bought a 2011 Cadillac SRX and a problem with a oil leak in front of the motor. It cost 900.00 to fix. I paid 50.00. Next Year my air conditioner went bad. It cost 2200.00 to fix. I paid 50.00 bucks. So far Maxcare has been good to me.

Original review: March 4, 2017

My car is in the shop for several things and Maxcare will not pay for my airbag module. It's under the seat on the passenger side. They said something was spilled on the seat. The dealership that it's at said that they seen a stain so they said something must have spilled. Wow how convenient. They are a joke.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

At first I did not know that I had the extended warranty. I went and paid $7000 to get a new engine put in my car because the guy said that he would not cover what was wrong with the warranty. It was my crankshaft had locked up. So do not as I repeat do not pay the $1300 To buy the warranty. It is a rip off. They will not work with you and you are spending $1400 for no reason at all. So please everybody out there do not I repeat do not buy this warranty.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I bought a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 from Carmax in Frederick. An ongoing issue with the truck, right now it's in a transmission shop and the MaxCare extended warranty I bought from Carmax will not pay for the suggested price to rebuilt my transmission. They want to put a used transmission in my truck with a 6 month warranty. With a rebuild, you get a 1 year warranty. This extended warranty from Carmax SUCKS. Beware, do not buy their extended warranty packages. Buy your own, you already get a 30 day warranty when you buy a used vehicle. Shop for your own warranty. So I'm sitting around while the transmission shop fights with the MaxCare from Carmax to have my transmission fixed the right way.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

I bought Maxcare for my BMW X3 and the transmission failed after one year. They do not want to pay for a new transmission at BMW and send me to a independent shop. They will install a used transmission and will only pay for 1 week of car rental. It's their fault that is taking that long. More than 3 weeks already, I still don't have my car back. Do not buy Maxcare. CPO will be my next car.

Original review: July 8, 2015

Anytime you call Maxcare you can plan on being on hold for at 30 minutes before even talking to someone. On many occasions after 30 minutes they hang up on you and then you have to call them back. One time was on phone with them for 105 minutes.

Original review: June 16, 2015

I used to advocate the purchase of the Maxcare warranty. In fact, I am on my 6th vehicle from Carmax that has the warranty. Now when I really need it, they are failing to replace my engine, stating that I drove it without radiator water or coolant. My garage floor is clean indicating no leak. The meter measuring heat never went above the halfway mark and I never smelled any burning. Yet somehow between now and an oil change I received a month ago, I was drained of coolant. Will never deal with Maxcare again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

In June of 2013 I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu and after two weeks of having it I had to constantly call onstar to come out and jump off my car. So I took it to carmax and carmax said that it was nothing wrong with it. Then same problem remained and I took it to an outside source and they asked me where did I get the car from and I replied carmax and they said "take that car back now." I said "why, what's wrong with it", the guy replied "it's your transmission" and they had to jump off my car so that I can get it back over to the carmax location.

I told them what the problem is and they insisted that it wasn't. So I told them that I was not taking that car back and I want a different car. I had to wait until the following Monday to get a different car. I got a 2012 Mazda for the same price of the 2010. 14,998.00 with only 31,000 miles and the car came from enterprise. So now that a well over a year and a half has passed, my engine went out and I took care of my car. So after reading all of these reviews I'm trying to see how long it's going to take before I can get my car back or get into a rental.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

I have contacted this company approximately 7 times each time I was told more info was needed and each time I would send them what they ask for. The last two times I was told that 500.00 and some change was being mailed to me. The person I spoke to, her name was Penny. She stated to me clearly that a check was being cut and mailed. This was 2 weeks ago.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

We've had MaxCare for about 5 years since we purchased our used truck with the Houston CarMax. Every time we've had any problem on the truck, we've taken it into our local Chevy dealer and it has been fixed each time with no hassle whatsoever. We would gladly go this route again on a used car. For others who are having problems, I wondering if it was CarMax that was the problem and not MaxCare because I can’t understand why they would only be problematic for just certain customers??

Original review: Aug. 5, 2014

My Nissan Pathfinder I bought used through CarMax had been giving me problems. I took it in to CarMax for a 50-dollar deductible to have it checked. They tried to charge me additional money to read the code. Luckily I had already gotten it read for FREE from a random car shop. Anyways, the Cadillidic converter (don't know how to spell it) was bad but not covered by by 150,000 warranty. After that I knew I was having tranny problems but they said it fine. Well I got fed up and went straight to the Nissan dealership and paid a 100-dollar deductible and I found out my transmission fluid and coolant had blended together and destroyed the transmission and radiator. Nissan did everything they could , ordered parts, got me a rental car, etc.

Well, MaxCare denied it and said the Nissan parts were too expensive, so I've waited 10 days now and the parts came in, and the radiator is Damaged. (Wow what awesome parts they are putting in my car!) So, instead of approving the factory radiator Nissan has in stock for 70 dollars more, they are wanting me to wait another 5 days, even though my rental car deadline is up tomorrow. This especially is bad for me because I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and my entire family is driving across state to come see me and I won't have a car to get around in. The good thing is Nissan is doing whatever they can to help me out. Bad thing is we've had to fight with MaxCare every step of the way, not to mention I've paid quite a bit extra on my CarMax vehicle just to have the supposedly great warranty that they offer. I'm extremely disappointed and worried that what they do put in my vehicle is going to be terrible.

Original review: June 25, 2014

While my husband was driving my car, my airbag deployed out of no where. Took my car back to Carmax in Schaumburg and they took it to the Elgin Hyundai and told Maxcare my car was impacted. By what, no one can tell me. I spoke to maxcare (Tony) and was informed that they will not fix my car. Really angry because I know my car hasn't been hit or impacted by nothing. I really believe it's a defect inside the car somewhere.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2012

I have called twice over the past two months, requesting a copy of my warranty information, for a plan I purchased in April of 2009. Each time I have I called, I've been told that this information would be mailed to me. It has been three weeks since my last call, and I have yet to receive any thing. When I have called, I have been required to give the last eight digits of my VIN, which are **. I would like to have this resolved as soon as possible.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.