MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty Customer Service Reviews

2.0/5 (132 ratings)

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Protect My Car

Protect My Car

CarShield

CarShield

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Pricing

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We were given minimal documentation regarding our Maxcare Plan, but were told it provided roadside assistance. When our tire blew in an unsafe location, even knowing the exact situation from the start, Maxcare wasted our time for twenty minutes on the phone before telling us they couldn't do anything and having a list of other tow services we could have been calling twenty minutes previously if they'd admitted they couldn't help. Even when directly asked multiple times, Maxcare refused to admit that they couldn't help and wouldn't deviate from script.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My husband and I purchased the extended Maxcare warranty from CarMax less than a year ago for our 2016 GMC Yukon XL. We were told we would have a rental car so we wouldn’t have to be worried about not having a car if the Yukon broke down. The transmission in my 2016 Yukon started slipping so stopped driving it and we called the CarMax Service department. They said they wouldn’t even look at my vehicle for FIVE DAYS!!! It sat in my driveway unusable for a few days and then sat on their lot for a couple days before they even diagnosed it.

On top of that when I thought that I had a rental, since my husband commutes an hour to work and an hour home every day and there is no option for us to share vehicles, they told me they couldn’t give me a rental car until they diagnosed what was wrong with my car... which took 5 days!! So my mom thankfully was out on disability from work so she had to drive me around to take kids to school and Home and to Dr's appts I had scheduled.

Now today when they finally approved my rental car so I go to pick it up, they only approved a FORD FIESTA! My toddler's car seat barely even fit in the back seat! She can’t even put her legs down. They are crunched to the back of the front seat. AND I’m only allowed to have the rental for 7 days even if it takes longer than that to fix my car! Which is most likely will because now CarMax can’t even fix it. They have to tow it to GMC for them to fix where it is going to sit for who knows how long because they are too busy to fix it too.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The last time I brought my car to MaxCare (the car service within CarMax), they told me my headlight was non-operative and that I need to replace the entire panel. I asked them several times why I had to replace them all since, first I got them replaced less than a year ago and second, the headlight was on and off randomly, not like it was off all the times. They did not provide any explanation and told me that's the only way to fix it. I agreed since I trust their professionalism. When I got my car back, the next evening, the same issue happened when the headlight was on and off within 5 minutes each time I turned the engine on.

I took several pictures and brought the car back. At first, they told me there was nothing wrong but I insisted and showed them the picture. They agreed to keep the car for another 24 hours and decided to change the switch. It worked after that. But then, when I asked them, why we had to change the all headlights earlier because obviously, it did not fix the problem. They could not answer me clearly either and just said it was a different problem. Now, I feel like I cannot trust their service anymore.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

We were very lucky to have an acquaintance loan us a car because it took the service provider 59 days to complete the job, primarily due to MaxCare delays. Our daughter's car broke down on 24AUG15. The CarMax dealer told us they could not work on the car until sometime after 9SEP15. I am sure most people do not have an extra car to drive in case one breaks. MaxCare does provide a 7 day (<$40/day) rental during service, which was meaningless for the odyssey we experienced. Since CarMax wouldn't even look at the car until 9SEP, we took the Toyota to a Toyota Service Center. The service provider provided Maxcare with pictures and description of the broken engine the same day, 24AUG15. It took more than 7 days for MaxCare to tell the service provider to go ahead and then more than another 7 days for MaxCare to provide the service provider with an engine.

My only experience in this situation is an engine replacement I needed in Charleston, WV which was completed by the Toyota Service Center in 5 business days including the day I dropped the car off and the day I picked it up. Anyway, the first engine provided was no good. The service provider could not get the engine to time correctly. Again, it took MaxCare more than a week to agree to another engine and more than a week to provide the engine to the service provider. While the engine replacement was going on the service provider found other issues with the car, which MaxCare was also slow giving the go ahead.

We are very fortunate we did not have to rent a car. Our daughter needs to car to commute ~35 miles to school and drive to work. The rental minus the 7 days covered by would have cost us ~$2080, basically because of the non-responsiveness of MaxCare. Also we still needed to pay over $1100 after what MaxCare did pay for because the MaxCare agreement doesn't cover all things that need to be done around the engine when replacing an engine. The engine replacement I had done in West Virginia had a total cost ~$3,500. MaxCare needs to work on its customer service.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2012

I have called twice over the past couple of months regarding a MaxCare warranty that I purchased in April 2009. Each time the representatives I have spoke to have told me they would mail out a copy of my warranty information. It has been three weeks since my last call and I have yet to receive anything. When calling the representative have asked for the last eight digits of my VIN, which are **. I would like to have this resolved as quickly as possible. Thank you in advance.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.