MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty Coverage Reviews

2.0/5 (132 ratings)

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Protect My Car

Protect My Car

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Pricing

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: May 13, 2021

My truck was repaired by Ford, had Maxcare coverage to cover rental for week, put claim in and you get NOTHING! Tarique ** from MAXCARE CLAIMS took my claim info but still have no refund check($200) and it been since February of 2021!!! They also do not pick up their phone or call back, even though they say they will. DO NOT BUY!!! YOU ARE PRE WARNED!!!

Original review: March 15, 2021

I have purchased three cars from Carmax over the years, and I have always had a good experience using their MaxCare warranty. My first car I purchased around 2005 with a MaxCare warranty had a problem with one of the windows (it would not raise or lower). It also had some trouble with the weather stripping. I asked them if they could fix it, and they took the car in. It took them a little longer than they originally expected because they were waiting on the part. I didn't think I would need a rental at first, but since it took a couple of extra days, I went ahead and got a rental, which they covered. The process could have been faster, but they covered the window and even though the weather stripping wasn't covered, they fixed it anyway.

My second car, I never needed to take in for repairs. My third car, I have taken in twice, with a possible third time coming up. The first time I took it in, there was something wrong with the cables that connected to the battery (I'm not a mechanic so pardon my ignorance on what was wrong), so that when I turned the car off at the gas station, it did not turn back on when I was finished. I had it towed to CarMax using my Geico towing and CarMax quickly helped me to get a free rental and repaired the car in a couple of days. Since I took it to CarMax, it was free.

The second time I took my third car in, I had trouble with the automatic locks (only working intermittently), the turn signal (sticking when I turned right, having to hold onto it to make it work for a left turn), and the heated windows (not working to de-ice the rear window). It turns out the heated windows weren't covered, so I didn't worry about that. They replaced the automatic locking system and the turn signal, and gave me a free rental until it was fixed. I also didn't pay anything for them to fix it since I brought it to CarMax.

My advice to anyone considering the MaxCare coverage is to research and make sure to read the fine print. Find out exactly what is covered and what isn't, so there won't be any surprises when your car needs repairs. Make sure to make your payments on time, and make sure to take your car to get the oil changed regularly, since certain things won't be covered if it's due to not maintaining your vehicle properly. Also, pay close attention to how long the coverage lasts. It's usually a certain amount of miles OR a certain number of years (whichever comes first). Be careful to know how long it's valid so you don't accidentally try to file a claim and it won't be covered due to being out of date.

TL;DR: Maxcare Coverage worked well for me!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Good service! Excellent coverage. Coverage for all the essential failures that can occur. Reliable car care for those unanticipated breakdowns. I strongly recommend. If you can find a better maintenance insurance, buy it. But, I don't think you will. The cost is comparable. Treat yourself well. This year of 2020 has made us all reliant on another; in so many ways! Be SAFE!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Maxcare is an absolute waste of time and money! I am going through the claims process today 11-2-2020 and all they've done is deny me after all the money I paid for the insurance. I purchased my vehicle through Carmax and asked for a bumper to bumper extended warranty which they guaranteed me maxcare was. Three months into the car and the catalytic converter breaks...no coverage. One year into the car and the battery doesn't work due to the moon roof having a short so it won't close causing water to leak onto my battery.

They won't cover my alternator being completely broken because of the battery saying they don't cover water damage. Even though the policy states it covers electrical issues. I ask to speak to a supervisor and apparently the company only has two that are all unavailable. They charge an extra 50 dollars on your deductible if you choose your own mechanic. The mechanics that are "in house" are all very far away as most mechanics specifically state they won't deal with them as they often do denials and leave people hanging. DO NOT BUY THIS. DO ANYTHING ELSE BUT NOT MAXCARE. I'm calling the Better Business Bureau!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My wife and I purchased a Honda Odyssey and elected to purchase the top tier MaxCare warranty plan (a $50 deductible) because of the scope of the coverage. We used it to easily change an alternator about 9 months later without any issue. However, our van had a flashing check engine light come on about 6 weeks ago. The MaxCare warranty department decided that the work that needed to be done would not be covered due to "lack of routine maintenance" even though we have all the records proving otherwise. The CarMax-certified repair facility we're using even agreed with our position and contacted MaxCare on our behalf and were told that the claim would be denied (even though the reasons given were NOT routine maintenance items). Long story short - we may be out at least $600 in repairs/labor because MaxCare has decided that they will not honor the warranty provided.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Unlike many others here, I had a pretty good experience with MaxCare. I've bought warranty 3y ago, and used it now for the first time (until now car was fine). I got a dead battery, and alternator also needed replacement. They have paid for both, so I'm positively surprised, since one could argue that battery is a wear part. I only paid a deductible. Maybe some folks don't realize that so many parts of a car are wear parts, and warranty does not cover them? Or maybe don't do maintenance frequently enough to keep the coverage? Not sure. Anyway my experience is good, and I can recommend MaxCare.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

This is my first time writing a product review in my life, but I felt like it was needed in this case. I was on my way back home to Cincinnati, from New York City with my 2011 Buick Lacrosse. On the way my car started acting funny and went into reduced power mode, but I was able to complete the trip. The following Monday, I took it to a local GM dealer, and they said that would contact Maxcare before they would start to do any work. They gave me a vague idea of what was wrong, but it didn't seem to be such a big deal. They then called and said that Maxcare had to have someone come out and inspect the car. I was immediately worried, because of all of the bad reviews I have read online. Then I got the call a few days later saying that Maxcare would be taking care of the issue. I still didn't think much of it. I was just glad that they didn't deny coverage.

I just got my car back about 30 minutes ago and looked at the invoice. The work was extensive and the total Maxcare paid was $6701.28!!! I only paid my $50 deductible and $18.90 for the tax on the rental. I must say, if I didn't have the Maxcare warranty, there is no way I would have been able to come up with $7000 for a car repair! I am so grateful, and this experience helped me to realized how important it is to have a warranty for a car!

Original review: June 16, 2016

We have not been impressed. We paid $2300 for an extended warranty on a Mercedes. We have come 1800 out of pocket on one occurrence, 300 on another. Maxcare provided only 300 in coverage. We would have been better off saving the $2300 for our own repairs. We could have gone to a reasonable shop and not been forced to a dealership which gave charges that warranty would not cover.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

This is my first car purchased, I had my car for about 1 1/2 years and I'm having issues with it. My engine is overheating and my heater is blowing out only cold air, was told by Carmax to call Maxcare directly and they should be able to tell me if the coverage will cover my coolant air system, towing and rental (if needed). I then called Maxcare, told them what has been going on with my car. She said she wouldn't be able to give me an estimate or tell me if it covers without someone looking at my car.

I asked her if the problem is dealing with the coolant system (as the mechanic at Carmax thinks is the issue) if they would cover it. She then started to give me attitude telling me she doesn't know and if I understand she can't do anything about it and she doesn't know what I expect her to do. I asked the woman for her name she said her name was MYRA **. She refused to give me her last name. I told her I was going to report her to a manager or corporate about her, she said she DID NOT CARE. Don't know what's going on with companies these days, but seems like representatives can just be rude whenever they feel like it and that managers do not keep them in check.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

I have 2 problems with the vehicle. 1. Mirror isn't folding properly - feels loose. 2. Airbag light is on. Now, I have called ahead and got confirmation that both repairs will be covered. Day later GM dealership called me, that Maxcare has denied both of my claims. They told the dealership that ONLY the folding motor will be covered, not the mirror assembly. Dealership never replaced a motor in a folding motor, assembly only, so Maxcare asked them to ship them my mirror for repair!!! Airbag system didn't get approved because some visible corrosion on a plug leading to the sensor - which is inside the vehicle. I call that manufacturer issue and that should be covered. I still have 45k miles of coverage and will post more experience as it occurs. In the meanwhile, paying cash for these 2 repairs.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2014

Bought a Cadillac SRX from CarMax & Maxcare @ $300 ded/$50 per month. Within 3 months I needed 2 timing chains, supporting coils & tension belts + an oil change. Took to CarMax 1st and they sent me to the dealer; CarMax Paid my deductible while Cadillac provided the service. That one visit was $2735! I paid $0 and they offered me a rental car. $300 is a lot better than $3k. The peace of mind is worth it esp if you have a car that's expensive to fix. Coverage is 150 miles or 5 years and there is no max claim amount - so as long as it's mechanical/electrical, etc., it covered for as many times as it needs to be fixed!

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.