MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty Cost Reviews

2.0/5 (132 ratings)

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Protect My Car

Protect My Car

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Pricing

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: April 16, 2021

I purchased the Maxcare warranty a few years ago. I purchased a vehicle that came with a lift kit. The adjuster came out to the shop I selected and denied the claim for a safety issue within my wheel bearings and axel. All because, I purchased a vehicle that came with mods. What is the point in paying for this policy if the claim is being denied for something that has nothing to do with me? Had they been upfront with me about the lift in the beginning. I would have considered another vehicle. This is unacceptable business practices! I will likely never again purchase a vehicle from CarMax!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Maxcare has treated me horrible. My 09 Honda CRV has been in the honda dealership for 3 weeks going on 4. They still havent approved my repair which is a faulty engine (I only had the car for a year). The only thing I got free was a tow. I've been unable to pay my car payment because I've been paying for Ubers and car rentals for the past 4 weeks waiting for them to get things rolling. When you call to complain all they tell you is unfortunately this or unfortunately that. This is the worst experience. Carmax isnt treating me any better. Maxcare wont pay for your rental until they approve the repair (waiting on approval for a month now). They want honda to put in a clunker engine so I'll be in this situation another year from now. They don't pay for diagnostic tests unless they approve the repair. And I have a 300 dollar deductible. 2 words MAXCARE SUCKS.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I had called The CarCare number that was given to me by the Carmax guy. His name was Kenneth. Anyway I call the CarCare number and a lady answers. I explain to her the issue at hand. That my car was serviced. And 2 weeks after that same problem arose. I feel I should NOT have to pay a 2nd deductible. The car should had been fixed the 1st time. While she's giving me the run around and stumbling over the lies she's telling me I ask to finally speak to her Supervisor.

I wanted a letter or an email stating that Carcare will not assist me with the waiver of the 2nd deductible. She nor the Supervisor never got back to me. It has been 2 days now and no response. I paid over 3000 dollars for that warranty and they won't even work with me?! Nonsense. So you know what?..All of my future payments for the car...I am sending them your way. And you people can take care of my payments. What did I pay for?? Not even a phone call back! So unprofessional! BBB is next with a review from me.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My customer brought her vehicle in for a simple repair, a washer pump. Called, got an Auth # and ordered the part. Did the repair. Called for payment. Here is where the trouble started. My shop had moved since the last time we did work for one of their policy holders. This started a 3 hour battle to get paid. I had to have the customer call to get the information I needed to get them in order to move forward. After all this they changed what they were willing to pay 3 times. BBW of this outfit. They are not easy to work with and everyone you talk to will give you a different answer.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I took my car to the dealership as there were metal fragments in my oil and the vehicle was running rough. I was told that I needed an engine. I told them I had this Carmax warranty. The dealership called the warranty and was told that I had to authorize time for them to teardown the engine to find the exact cause. This cost me $900 just for the teardown just to have the engine replaced. That was half the cost of the engine. This is such a ** warranty and do not recommend to anyone!!! What's the point of paying for a warranty if I'm going to have to fork up more money just to use it?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I purchased an extended warranty through Carmax for Maxcare. It wasn't a year until the car would not start. I towed it to Carmax. What a mistake. It was 4 days before anyone even looked at it. The communications from Carmax was poor. Maxcare representatives told me that they would not provide a rental car until the issue with car was known. Carmax never was able to determine the issue. After a week, they towed the car to a dealer. It was more than 8 days before they determined the cause. Maxcare reps finally authorized a rental car and said that they would call the car rental company to set up a direct pay. However, when I turned the car in, no payment was set up. My experience with Maxcare has been unbelievably bad. I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing a Maxcare warranty to rethink their decision. I will never buy another car from Carmax or a warranty from Maxcare.

Original review: June 15, 2017

DO NOT purchase MaxCare Extended Service Plan! This company looks for any and every possible way to avoid paying for submitted claims. My air conditioner stopped working and I took my car in two hours later for diagnosis and repair. When the service station called to get approval for replacement of the compressor and condenser it was denied. I called back to find out why and was told the compressor was damaged due to a collision and would not be covered. Because the compressor was considered damaged in a collision, the condenser would not be covered either. Meanwhile, I was not in an accident. They explained that if something from the road hit my car from underneath, that is considered "a collision" and therefore would not be covered. Save your money or go with another company!!

Original review: March 26, 2017

I like others bought the Maxcare warranty from CarMax, and now when I really need it... It took the adjuster 5 days to tell the mechanic to reset the engine sensors and to tell me to continue driving the car. Great way to fix the car Maxcare. And they are not paying for the car rental that is part of warranty as well.

Original review: May 11, 2016

We just brought our car to Maine, we purchased when we lived in Florida. The car failed inspection. We need new tires, new brake pads and rotors. We only had this car a year and were told when we bought it all the tires were brand new. They showed us repair slips showing they put new brake pads and that everything passed inspection. The rotors were supposed to be new too. Now all need repairs which will cost us 600 plus dollars. The tires which have been driven maybe 3000 miles are all cracked and we are told must be at least 7 years old. Which means they were old and used when they put them on the car. Brake pads and rotors are not new and are the original ones never replaced.

We called CarMax where we bought the car, said "that's too bad, they are covered so call Maxcare." We did and nope none of this is covered. We paid almost $2000 for this Maxcare which now that I can finally find a copy of what is covered I see that nothing is covered. They are ripping people off and lying to them. Even today they lied to me on the phone. I called back and they said they are sorry they must have read the information wrong. Wow how can you read we cover brake pads and rotors under the section marked not covered. They did repair the back window defrost when we were in Florida that never worked and fixed the damage they caused when opening some panels. But refused to fix a problem with one of the window seals that we complained about when we bought it which they told us before we signed the loan that they had fixed it. Found out 2 days later that was a lie too.

Do not trust these people. Do not buy from them. They prey on people with bad credit and low income. We didn't have great credit at the time and didn't have a large downpayment so we had no choice. Come to find out we could have gone down the road and got the same car cheaper and with a 7.5% interest rate instead of 22.5%.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

After owning my car less than one year and driving my car less than 6400 miles, it began having mechanical issues. While I had the car I changed the oil as indicated and did not do anything but drive the car back and forth to work. My car is a used 2012 Mercedes GLK 350 that was purchased from CarMax. I tried to make an appointment with CarMax but they were too busy to get the car in when the pinging in the engine started. They indicated that my warranty allowed me to take it anywhere. I took the car to the nearest Mercedes dealership. They found that the engine and electrical system needed to be replaced which would cost more than $25,000. They did note that the oil was low in the car. They said this was probably a symptom of the overall system failure of the vehicle as low oil would not cause an engine to fail.

Additionally because I had not put a lot of miles on the car, the car was defective when I bought it and the dealership most likely knew it when they sold it to me. Mercedes usually do not fail in this manner. Regardless, this is why you buy a warranty. However, that was two months ago and my car is still in the shop because MaxCare refuses to pay for anything. They won't even pay the $750 diagnostic fee that need to be paid to figure out the problem. Every time you call them they put you to voicemail. They refuse to address the issue. Now I have a worthless car with a huge payment that I thought I protected with what is a worthless warranty.

To top it off, I am very ill and am off of work on medical leave and the stress of the situation has caused me to return the hospital on more than one occasion. I am suppose to avoid all stress as I try to recover but that is impossible given this company's irresponsible and horrible business tactics. MaxCare is one of the worst companies I have come in contact with and CarMax is just as bad. Do not do business with either one.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

I dropped off my 2005 Corvette with Sterling Auto Group, Bryan, TX... My harmonic balancer is wobbling & screeching, also my shifter would lock in park. Thanks to Phillip in the service dept my experience was flawless. I checked to see if Maxcare was accepted? He said yes. Everything went great... I picked up my car after paying $100 deductible and was very happy, Maxcare paid out with no problems...

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

I hit a pothole that I couldn't avoid so it damaged the tire rod along with something else. These idiots denied it because they said it could've been avoided. Never in my life. What's the point of paying for a warranty? These people are an complete rip off. Never ever AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

The MaxCare warranty is the most unprofessional and worst company I have ever dealt with. They have done nothing but try to find ways to get out of paying for the claim that is CLEARLY included in warranty. I bought an SUV from CARMAX and was talked into buying the extended warranty, which I was told would cover all thing except moving parts and maintenance. I was driving and my SUV caught fire under the hood. After further inspection it is easy to see it was an electrical fire. This is a very dangerous occurrence and luckily I was not injured in the incident. Fortunately a man driving by was able to extinguish the smoldering. I had the SUV towed to CARMAX to get a diagnosis and get it repaired. Once the tow truck got there, the manager was adamant about having the car promptly removed from there and said it was not their problem. I had the car towed to a repair shop and an estimate drawn up.

Keep in mind this is over a length of 3 weeks now and every week I am renting a car which is quite expensive. The repair shop determined that the fire started in the electrical box. Maxcare had their adjuster come out and the adjuster ruled that this was caused by "a faulty battery" and that there was "battery acid" everywhere and ruled that Maxcare is not liable for this because it is a maintenance problem. The repair shop pulled the battery and found absolutely no battery acid anywhere and found the battery intact. The battery was purchased within the year. Maxcare is nothing but a scam and a way to get extra money out of the customer. I will be taking MaxCare to court and suing them. I am furious and downright disgusted at this company and what they will do to get out of doing what is right and frankly what they are responsible for including LYING! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM MAXCARE or CARMAX ever AGAIN!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We purchased a 2008 Ford Edge from CarMax in 2010. We took a MaxCare warranty for 6 years/100,000 miles. We've used it twice & they've been difficult both times arguing with the Ford dealer over labor costs but paying in the end. Both times they tried to stick us with more than the $300 deductible but after much back & forth they paid. It is now in having a heater core & several other related parts replaced for a total cost of $2,000. MaxCare is refusing to pay anything due to corrosion in the heater core. The Ford dealer was quite surprised by this & so am I. They said we were negligent by not having it repaired sooner. Since I obviously cannot see inside my heater core & didn't realize there was a problem until the heat stopped working, how am I negligent? Then they said Ford knew there was a problem with that make & model.

After googling it I found that to be true, but I never received notification from Ford. Once again, how was I negligent? They are just finding a reason to not pay. I've had other extended warranty companies in the past & never had problems with them paying. I will NEVER purchase an extended warranty from this company again & will probably avoid CarMax as well.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2014

We purchased a 2010 Chevy Malibu in 06-2014 and purchased extended warranty. After a month the vehicle tire (brand new) went flat and we called and were told it would be a week for them to look at the vehicle but tires are not covered at all no matter what. We went to our shop and they could not find a whole so they put air in and we went on our way. After only 800 total miles on the vehicle that same tire has gone flat again and I wanted to take it in to CarMax and first of all they did not return my call, and then when I did take it in was again told it would not be covered at all since it was a tire issue. Took it back to my local shop who took the tire off because again no nail hole, and found that the rim is completely rusted out and the sensor is rusted as well from previous owner using a product called tire fix which seals a hole in a tire.

You cannot tell me that when CarMax put the new tires on that they did not see that crap all over the interior of the rim. We now get to leave our car at CarMax for the next week until they can get someone to look at any probably still deny claim. Their customer service is the worst I have ever encounter with a car repair facility and to have to wait a week without a car is even more upsetting. I only want to know now how I can get refunded on the car warranty so I never have to deal with them again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2014

Maxcare is the worst warranty service. I've been paying for maxcare for over 3 years now and the first time I go in to get my warranty honored, I experience not only the worst customer service but they want you to go back and forth between them and the dealer...which is an inconvenience cause you're doing their job for them... They ask you the dumbest question like you are a mechanic. I have had my car at the dealership back and forth for over 2 weeks now and maxcare still doesn't know what's going on or even seem to care. You are better off getting an extended warranty thru the Dealer if possible.

Original review: June 27, 2014

THIS IS A TRUE STORY. PLEASE REPOST. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU OR SOMEONE YOU LOVE. In December 2012, Sherry and Shawn ** bought a Nissan Titan 33 minutes off the lot. We hit a deer. We just didn't hit the deer, we jumped over it. We had Progressive Insurance at the time. It had 94,000 miles on it. We did not receive loaner vehicle at the time. They sent the truck to Tony Moro auto body shop in Des Moines, Iowa. They told us it was only cosmetic damage. Shawn ** told progressive to look underneath the truck, they said they would.

They called us to pick up the truck in January 2013. Shawn and Sherry ** and a friend Jeff went to Tony Moro's to pick it up. We drove it to Hobby Lobby in Des Moines and it was pouring out antifreeze. Called Tony Moro's and he sent a mechanic out. Checked it, said it was overfull. He tightened the cap, we left and on our way home, a big chunk of the exhaust fell off. Shawn called Tony Moro and complained about it falling off. They wouldn't do anything.

A couple of days later, the truck was leaking antifreeze again and the radiator cap blew off 3x. Shawn called Tony Moro's and complained. They had us bring it in the next day. When we got there, worked on it, they said the bottom hose was twisted. We took it home and a week later, the truck stalled and wouldn't run. Shawn called Tony Moro's and they said they wouldn't fix it. Had to call for a flat bed truck, was taken to Hummel's Nissan dealership in Des Moines. It was the ECM computer. They fixed it and I paid cash for it. The warranty company Maxcare wouldn't pay for it and it was under warranty. Picked the truck up and came home.

The winter 2014, the truck was acting up and we called Progressive and complained. They had me take it to Clemons Chevy garage in Marshalltown. The truck sat there for 2 days, said nothing was wrong with it. That was March 2014, picked it up. In April 16, 2014, we were driving and it was pulling hard to the right and was making a lot of noises. Called Progressive that day, told me to take it to Shaffer's auto body in Ames, Iowa. I told Jason at Progressive that it needed to go to Nissan in Ames. At this point, so they could find out what was wrong with it, he told me no.

On April 17, I took it to Shaffer's like Progressive told me to. Progressive called me 2 hours later and told me there wasn't anything wrong with it. May 5th 2014, drove it to Pella, Iowa. On the way back, it blew apart underneath the truck. The frame is bent and they won't look at it. The front diff and the transmission transfer case and the rear end and the front drive shaft, all of it blew apart. It was at 108,000 miles when this happened, now it is setting at Lithia Nissan of Ames. Progressive went there and looked at it and said it wasn't their fault. The transmission got hot and blew and they said it was Shawn's fault.

I called the warranty company and they said that there was structural damage done to the truck when we hit the deer. And now MAXCARE WARRANTY is only paying for transmission and rear end. All of it is under warranty with MAXCARE. The truck hasn't ever been on gravel road or mudding. They are only giving us the truck back in 2-wheel drive when the truck is 4-wheel drive. Shawn called a lawyer yesterday and the lawyer told him if we drive it and something happens and it blew apart again and someone was killed, we would be charged with manslaughter so we are going to have to send the truck back to the bank.

DON'T TRUST PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE OR MAXCARE WARRANTY COMPANY BECAUSE THEY DO NOT DO WHAT THEY SAY THEY WOULD DO AND YOU WILL BE IN THE SAME PLACE WE ARE. PLEASE REPOST AND LET EVERYONE KNOW.

Original review: June 2, 2014

I bought my car in Dec 2013 from Carmax with the Maxcare service plan. During the month of March, I heard clicking noises whenever I made turns on the road, so I called The Rockville MD Carmax service center. First of all, nobody there ever answers the phone... NOT EVER! You are always dealing with an answering machine and nobody ever calls you back timely. I called in the morning a few times, and waited until 4:30 pm and nobody ever got back to me. I had to call the main line and tell them how nobody answers the phone, and they finally got a service manager to talk to me so I could schedule an appointment to bring my car in. I had to wait three weeks before they could get me in.

When I dropped my car off I told them the car was clicking on turns. When I went to pick up my car I was charged $115 "diagnostic" and told nothing at all was wrong with my car. I took my car to my own mechanic the next week, who told me it was definitely clicking and the right front axle was leaking as well. After many phone calls, the Carmax service manager agreed to refund my $115, but said he wanted me to take my car to a dealership for the repair, which was covered under the Power Train Warranty. I did that and they replaced my right front axle - confirming there was indeed a problem.

I called Carmax service back, and called and called and called, and left messages about getting my refund, but two weeks later and I have still not been refunded for "diagnostics" that I believe they never even did. To claim they did any diagnostic would mean they are really that bad at servicing cars. So they are either really that bad or they don't do any diagnostics and charge people anyway, saying they did. I will never take my car there ever again and will be canceling Maxcare.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2014

I bought my 2006 Mercedes at Carmax in July 2012 and bought the Maxcare warranty. In January 2013 the transmission went out. Carmax told me to take it to the dealership because they don't do Mercedes transmissions. I took it to the dealer and it took a while because the Maxcare rep had to come and inspect it for themselves but they replaced the entire transmission with brand new parts $7000. Last week I thought the transmission was acting up and called Carmax. They again referred me to the dealership. I took it in for a diagnosis and they said the transmission was fine but the spring arm bushings on the front were cracked, the engine belt was torn and the power steering pump was leaking. I told them I would take it to Carmax.

When I called Carmax they said they don't do much Mercedes work and they wouldn't recommend their mechanics for that. They told me to take it back to the dealership which I did. I got a nice brand new loaner car and they kept it for 3 days. They called me to tell me it would be an extra $300 that the warranty co would not cover. I told them that was their problem and Carmax's problem. All I was paying was my deductible of $200. I picked it up tonight and all I paid was $200. Unfortunately when I got home and looked at the $2K bill I realized they didn't replace the bushings. I have to call tomorrow and make them do it under the same deductible. Wish me luck. I think the warranty is definitely worth it because in a year and a half I have only paid $400 for $9500 worth of repairs.

Original review: July 30, 2013

So 3 weeks ago I was out, couldn't get my car to start but it wasn't a battery issue. I contacted Maxcare and was advised based on what I was describing sounded like a transmission issue. The rep suggested I take it to Aamco as they have a national account with them and it will be a smoother process to having car repaired. It took several days but the mechanic finally said it was a problem in my shifter and he was filing the claim. Well it's been 3 weeks, claim still not approved, no work has begun to actually repair my car and I am still carless. So I am now paying a vehicle payment and paid for a warranty but have no car!

Original review: May 20, 2013

I purchased a car with Carmax North side of Indy. Car has been good. I was sold the MaxCare extended Warranty Plan 0 deductible. I was led to believe this was the top of the line no hassle plan. I had a problem with the sunroof last fall. When calling to set up an appointment to get the sunroof fixed, I was told over the phone that the MaxCare would not cover the repair. I escalated it to the service manager and was told the same thing. He could get the part at cost for me and I could install, but if they looked at it and I decided not to get it fixed, there would still be charges for the diagnostic fee. In reading my MaxCare pamphlet, it clearly should have been covered, but it was denied sight unseen. I escalated this issue up through management.

By the time I got corporate complaints in Virginia, I simply wanted my money back on the MaxCare plan that I was denied right off on my first claim. Business office can only able to pro-rate the unused portion of the payment per years and months? In my mind, it is all unused. The first time I needed it on something fairly small repair in dollars, I am denied. Further, if they look at it, they will be kind enough to waive the diagnostic if they fix it but it will still not be covered. Corporate and one of the senior management folks finally asked that I bring the car in so it could be looked at. Magically now after all the calls and escalations, the part it is covered. The service person stated he put in extra verbiage to make sure it was covered. My problem with that statement is the problem should have spoken for itself and what about next time?

This is after months of speaking with folks in person and on the phone. At this point, I really want to be fully reimbursed, so I'm not sure if they will be doing the work. In speaking with the senior management, no one has the authority, not even corporate to give a full refund. It turns out the store manager is the one, however, the store manager fails to see anything wrong with this practice (pretty arrogant and unconcerned attitude towards the entire situation). I still want my money back. My first experience with this product has been very, very bad. Originally, I believed this product to be a third party to Carmax, but am reading that this may actually be owned by Carmax? I'm not sure on that, but it might explain the initial avoidance to cover the problem.

If you have it and have been denied, don't take no for an answer. Stick with it and read your plan. You will have to call back often. There seems to be little motivation for Carmax to follow up on lack of service related complaints. Also, you might consider sending a complaint to the State Department of Insurance. I do feel bad for the folks that purchased this and rely on this plan because they need their car to function. At least mine was drivable without the fix. Had the service department just looked at the issue, this may have been avoided. Maybe? It may not. I'm still pursuing the full reimbursement of the Carmax Plan.

Original review: June 27, 2012

I've read some pretty negative reviews about the Maxcare warranty, so I was really nervous when I needed to submit a claim. About a week ago, my check engine light came on. I took my car, a 2008 Suzuki SX4, to a repair shop (of my choice) to have it looked at and was told that I needed a new throttle body assembly. The repair was going to cost me about $1,000. I provided the repair shop with my warranty information, and they submitted the claim for me. My claim was approved by Maxcare the very same day without any problem. The repairs were made, and now my car is driving like new! I felt compelled to write this review, because although some may have had horrible experiences, mine was actually very different. I am so happy I purchased my warranty, because without it, I would have had a hard time paying $1,000 for the repair. If you are thinking about purchasing the Maxcare warranty, I would definitely recommend it!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

On Dec. 30th, our carmax car's ignition jammed up in the middle of moving to another town and would not allow our car to be turned on at all. We had paid for a MaxCare extended warranty on our car and when taking in our car for repairs, found that they were closed on a Friday because of the holiday. I had to leave on Monday for business and needed my car fixed before leaving on Monday. So we had to make the initial payment but the dealership called it in so we could get reimbursed.

When we called it in on Monday, we were told by MaxCare's customer service that we didn't handle it correctly since we should have gotten a rental car and then had the dealership call in on Monday so we may not get reimbursed. Customer service told me to send in a copy of the invoice with a letter explaining the situation through snail mail. I asked if they needed the original invoice, no just a copy. So I then asked if I could scan in the original and attach it to an email to send to the appropriate department in order to be reimbursed sooner, if even reimbursed. I was told no, and I found this a little hard to believe with the electronic age we live in. I asked to speak to the supervisor, and was refused and then hung up on by the customer service representative. Is this what I pay extra for on my car payment each month?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2011

We have a Buick Rainier. In less than a 10 month time period, we had to have our car in the shop for work done on the self-leveling system. Every time I took it in, I said how I believe the airbags were leaking. The dealership would put it in their notes. However, Maxcare wanted an "inspector" sent out to look. They denied the fix of the airbags but had a new suspension motor put in. Then shortly after getting it back (and paying my deductible), again we had the same issue. I took it in again. They denied the air bags again, but put in new sensors and again paid my deductible.

Finally, I took it in a 3rd time. The dealer agreed with me that the airbags were in horrible condition and couldn’t believe that they hadn’t been replaced yet. Maxcare finally approved the replacement of the airbags. I called Maxcare to have them waive my deductible because I felt that they should have approved them the other 2 times. If they had, then my car would not be in the shop for a 3rd time for the same issue! The first supervisor I spoke with was very condescending to me and spoke with me like I was stupid (I probably know a lot more about cars than he does). I finally asked to speak with his boss. I was told I would get a call in the morning. I never got a call. I had to call them and leave a message.

Then finally, the bigger boss called me. I was nice and friendly and expressed my concerns. He said, "Let me put this in a way you can understand. We will not waive your deductible. Even you should be able to understand that." Wow, what a jerk! I do not recommend Maxcare. We paid a lot for this warranty and every time we had to take our car in. They fought us every step of the way. Everything we had done was covered, yet they want to fight me on it. Their customer service skills suck and the way that the men who work there talk to females is appalling.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.