MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty Contract Reviews

2.0/5 (132 ratings)

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Protect My Car

Protect My Car

CarShield

CarShield

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Pricing

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I am very unhappy with MaxCare after speaking with them and my dealership. My car is just out of warranty and only 3 years old. I am beyond frustrated and cancelled the remainder of my contract. I paid a huge amount at purchase and for what? I am stuck with the repair bill.

Original review: June 28, 2019

We purchased a 2012 Nissan Rogue from CarMax, with the MaxCare Extended Warranty up to 100,000 miles. At 91,000 miles the car shook to a stop and went dead. We called MaxCare and they told us they would cover a wrecker and we could send it to any repair shop that is authorized. I looked up the nearest one and MaxCare stated they were approved. So we had it TOWED to that location.

The service shop diagnosed the problem as the radiator had blown out and leaked coolant into the engine causing the spark plugs to be fouled and damaging the engine beyond repair. Maxcare paid to repair the radiator that caused the problem, but refused to pay for the engine. We called MaxCare several times trying to get an understanding as to why they are covering the part (radiator) that caused all the damage, but not the parts (engine) that were ruined as a result.

MaxCare representatives first claimed that after the car stopped working on the day of the radiator being blown, we continued to drive it, driving it to the repair facility. We pointed out that we did not drive it, and they are actually paying for the TOW bill showing they towed it. They then transferred me to a "Supervisor" who stated that it wasn't because we drove it, but it was denied due to "Never having coolant in the vehicle EVER". We stated that is impossible and ridiculous over the life of any car to never have coolant in it. We asked to see the inspector's report (that they sent) that they used to deny claim and they stated that it is "in house only" and won't release it.

We spoke to an attorney who then pointed out that in the warranty contract, we agreed to arbitration with MaxCare to resolve any issues, and to call Maxcare back and clarify the exact reason it is being denied. We called back a third time, and MaxCare again stated that we drove the car to the repair shop (I again pointed out the wrecker charge). They then stated "The car has never had COOLANT, causing the radiator to blow out, which in turn caused COOLANT to leak into the engine". I pointed out the obvious mistake that coolant couldn't leak into the engine if it never had coolant in it.

I asked for the mistakes to be changed, and they stated no. I asked who made these mistakes and who to contact about it. The "Supervisor" stated that there was no one to contact or to appeal to, and we would have to go ahead with our choice to go to arbitration. She stated she knew CarMax was being evasive, but there was no one else for us to speak to about the obvious mistakes/lies.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

It is very hard to find dealerships willing to take this. The closest one to us is 45 minutes away. There isn't one in our county or any surrounding zip codes to us. It would be nice if they would branch out. They also need to improve their rental car policy. When I used my extended warranty last time they set me up with a rental through Enterprise. My local Enterprise was out of cars. They did not have a contract with any other rental companies so I was forced to pay out of pocket at Hertz and get reimbursed after a few weeks. It's great in theory, just needs improvements.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I purchased a Ford F150 with 35,722 miles 9/26/2017. I chose the 60 month 75,000 mile warranty. It is my 6th CARMAX purchase and 4th MAXCARE service contract. The harness melted almost into at the positive battery terminal Monday September 10, 2018 and the truck won't start. I opened the hood and noticed the cable was melted almost into. I wiggled the cable, got the truck started and took it home. After researching how to repair I noticed several YouTube videos on the subject. Apparently this happens often. It is not a simple replacement of the connector.

You have to replace the entire harness and it has to be purchased from a Ford service center. Planet Ford customer service agent Marcella ** contacted MAXCARE and they told her it was not covered. I then contacted agent Dale ** and he refused to allow the warranty because of negligence stating the battery corroded and burned the cable and batteries are not covered.

I countered that it is not the battery. It is the cable and should be covered for the life of the warranty. Normal maintenance procedure has you check under the hood once a month. This was done less than a month ago when it received the Texas State inspection for September 2019 along with an oil change and all fluids were checked as well. There was not a problem with battery corrosion at that time. The positive battery cable connector is 1/16 inch thick and copper. It was entirely melted except for a 1/4 span. I maintain that I maintained proper maintenance verified by my recent Texas state inspection and this should be covered by warranty.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased the $3500 Maxcare Auto Warranty when I purchased my 740i BMW. I started having issues with my engine, so it was taken to the BMW dealer. It took over two weeks for my car to be fixed with included a week of dead time due to hurricane Irma (Sept 2017). We paid for our rental (which is suppose to be reimbursed), submitted all required paperwork and receipts to Maxcare so that they could send us our check. Well as of today Jan 2018, we have made numerous attempts to see what the hold up was and every time we speak with someone, they tell us it’s being processed and there’s nothing else for them to do.

All we want is for them to follow through on their end. I recently contacted someone else via email, and again the representative stated that she was sorry and they will be sending it out!! I don’t feel secure that it will be sent “this time” either, because we’ve been told this so many times before!! We just want what’s due to us... which was stated in the contract, reimbursement from our rental car payment!!

Original review: July 21, 2017

In November 2015, I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius from CarMax; I was told to buy the Extended warranty from Maxcare by the car salesman. She said the extended warranty company was part of CarMax and the warranty taken anywhere. I never had to use the warranty until July of 2017. When my car's air condition stop getting cold, so I went to MyHonestMechanic repair for a diagnosis. They told me I would need a radiator $380.00 and Condenser $285.00 the total cost being $1,122.03 with labor. The repair shop had attempted to contact MAxcare since July 13, 2017, but every time we have called Maxcare extended warranty, they would not answer the phone calls or kept us on hold after we explained to them my car needs repairing.

On July 19, 2017, I was finally able to contact someone from MaxCare after four days of trying to call them which I found out Maxcare call center is based in Mexico. They give me the Underwriting Department. I was told to take my car to the repair shop and go pick up a rental car. I give them my credit card. The next day I get a call from Enterprise Rental Car telling me the insurance have not made any arrangements on billing them. I get to the Enterprise Rental Car. I give them my credit card leaving my car at the repair shop, I get a call from the repair shop from Dee Dee, the front receptionist the store calls me and tells me Maxcare could not send out adjudicator because they don't have the repair shop information. But Dee Dee and I had spent 30 minutes with the Maxcare setting up the entire service to my car.

On 07/20/2017 the adjustor Roy came out to see my vehicle. He left and never updated the shop on if the repairs were approved or not. Maxcare is purposely giving me the runaround so that I do not work completed on my car like my contract states. I would like for Maxcare to pay for my repairs in a timely matter. The repair shop and I both have done our part by having my car diagnosis, and I paid for the contract of 1699.00 for this extended warranty and never used it at all. I believe Maxcare are doing this on purposes, so they don't have to pay to have the necessary repair to be done to my vehicle.

Original review: April 18, 2017

An Extended Warranty was purchased through CarMax in 2016. The vehicle was used for travel out of state in 2017 and during this time there was a malfunction on Saturday. The car was towed to a dealership. Monday, Maxcare was contacted. The customer representative confirm the malfunction was covered under the contract Maxcare's contract # was given to me. The Agreement (Contract) # given by CarMax was their #. The dealership was contacted, in turn called Maxcare to get authorization of the repair (Claim # was given) and performed. There has been so many negative complaints. Suggestion: Call 1st.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

We've recently rented a vehicle due to our primary vehicle needing maintenance work, performed by Carmax. After speaking with Maxcare, in terms of reimbursement, we've now received three separate dates for which payment processing would take place. The response from Maxcare, ironically, showed a non-caring approach to funds we are waiting to have reimbursed. As if to say, they are doing us a favor rather than taking an approach we're simply trying to comply with what is outlined in Maxcare's useless extended warranty contract.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

When I purchased my Maxcare Warranty from CarMax, I assumed CarMax was underwriting the warranty (Car MAX = MAX care). They do not. MaxCare is a third-party vendor. That means CarMax does not stand behind the warranty, but it does hide behind the fine print. I went in with a list of 8 minor and 1 mid-level problem with my car, having purchased a 150,000 mile warranty through MaxCare. I was told that each item would incur a $59.95 diagnostic charge at Carmax, and if MaxCare denied the repair(s) as not being covered by the warranty, I would have to pay the diagnostic fee for each denied claim to CarMax. This seemed unreasonable, since I was simply inquiring as to whether or not the items would be covered under the warranty, and I assumed CarMax would tell me what was covered, what was not covered and give me the option of repairing the uncovered ones. That is what I believed I had purchased. I had not.

At this point I was directed to the business center so they could listen to me complain about the warranty. However, the business center does not approve repairs, so to get approval I would have to speak with the service manager. The service manager told me what their fee schedule is and that they have to diagnose the problem and forward it to the warranty company, and that is something they, like all auto repair shops, do. If I had questions about the warranty he would be glad to bring me over to the business center, and he was sorry if someone in sales was not clear about my purchase, but he could not do anything about that since he was only involved in repairs. That's when I understood how the scam works. It goes like this: CarMax offers a third-party warranty with a company whose name sounds like it is a part of CarMax, but it is not.

CarMax makes no effort to dispel this misunderstanding with prospective buyers. Hence, I say it is deceptive and misleading. The business center draws up the paperwork that the salesperson orders and the business center has you sign it, not the salesperson. This compartmentalizes and insulates the actions of each department from the other with no one being accountable for the entire customer experience. Once the salesperson has his/her commission, it's sayonara, baby. The business center handles the warranty complaints, and cheerfully offered to refund my money on a prorated basis if I did not like the terms (just thinking about the most likely schedule for proration they would then lay out was more than I could take at that moment, since my head would have split open when I learned the pittance I would be due). They did not sell it to me, and they do not make service decisions. That's sales and service, respectively.

The service department is it's own profit center. It's essentially a privately run auto shop inside a Carmax. They will do everything a private auto repair shop does, and nothing on behalf of Carmax. I'm sure Carmax directly pays them to run the 150 point inspections and everything else, and I would not be surprised to find out they pay rent there, although I have no idea.

Each department is completely separate in its duties. There is no one who will come out and talk to you who has authority over all the departments, or even over more than one. Hence, the service department is not responsible for how the warranty works, the sales person does not deal with warranty issues, and the business department simply had me sign the papers the sales department ordered, but I am the one who signed them. They have insulated themselves from complaints about the warranties because no one person or department is ultimately in charge of the entire process, at least not anyone I have been able to locate yet.

Ultimately, I believe I will have to file a complaint against CarMax with the BBB in order to get some leverage. If the BBB will send a complaint to CarMax requesting they respond to me, then one of the suits may get motivated to pick up the phone and give me a reason to tell the BBB that I am satisfied with the manner in which they resolved the complaint. Short of that, I'll just take the little things to a local guy who is both honest and inexpensive, and save the warranty for the big-ticket items.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

Good morning, I wanted to follow up and make a new entry that the MaxCare Warranty we purchased from Ford is not all it’s cracked up to be and has made it difficult for me to get work done on my car. My door sensors were going bad on my car and realizing we had purchased extended warranty via MaxCare they starting working with Ford but ended up not wanting to pay Ford so it made Ford's Customer Service look bad but on the contrary Ford was bending over backwards to make the warranty work for us as customers. MaxCare is very difficult. At the end of the day Ford had to absorb most of the cost to my car to satisfy us as customers. I believe the Ford was not at fault and that MaxCare didn't want to comply with their warranty contract we purchased to have for these type of issues. Sad to say I would not be shocked if Ford decides not to sell MaxCare's extended warranty for them and drops them and finds a more cooperative warranty company! Just my thoughts about MaxCare. So disappointed. :(

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

Purchased a 2005 Camry from CarMax 7 months ago and was strongly encouraged to purchase the extended warranty from MaxCare. MaxCare has utilized every measure to not honor their warranty. They agreed to repair a failed power steering pump but NOT the resulting engine damage. I would NEVER recommend purchase of a warranty from MaxCare to ANYONE. I now have to pay for the full cost of both the power steering pump repair and replacement of the engine. I feel that both CarMax and MaxCare are dishonest companies, completely misrepresenting the extended warranty and then flat-out not honoring their contract, respectively.

Original review: April 30, 2014

After a total engine failure, Maxcare authorized us to go to an AAMCO, based on their fleet account. The AAMCO and Maxcare took over 2.5 months to diagnose and agree to it being a covered repair, never authorizing a car rental, even retroactive to the covered repair ruling. I picked up the car, had it for less than a week and the check engine light comes on. Maxcare is on record as authorizing me to go to the dealership, at our request, and telling me if it was related to the engine replacement "we could take it up with AAMCO later". After the dealer’s diagnostics, Maxcare sent an inspector and then told me to get it back to AAMCO. They were not participating in the repair due to the negligence of the repair facility. Complaints to the CSR and their supervisor went nowhere.

While in service at AAMCO, the car developed a roof leak which we were unable to correct between picking the car up from AAMCO, after two months and dropping it off at Mini within a week. Since Mini couldn't go forward due to damage on fuel lines caused by AAMCO, and Maxcare pulled back and told me they weren't participating, even though they told me I could go to the dealer. I have been fighting AAMCO corporation, with no power, as the engine swap was already paid for by Maxcare, for six weeks. Now my car has had to have $2800 worth of repairs while still at Mini due to water intrusion that no one is covering. Maxcare had all the power of the purse with the Fleet contract with AAMCO, but chose to leave a paying customer on an island with no recourse.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2012

I have purchased a Mercedes 2008 from Carmax this year. The price looked too good to pass on that opportunity and the trade-in value was pretty close to KBB. Well, I was taken for a ride at the other end, on the extended warranty. Knowing how much these days the service can cost on such a vehicle, I said that if I rolled the warranty price on the loan, I could swallow it easier. First attempt to use the warranty came less than 2 months after the purchase. The radio head unit went out. I took the vehicle to Mercedes dealership to have it fixed. Claim denied: "... We don't pay for the original, replacement part only. We do not pay for the diagnostic” - no reason why, “We only pay so much for labor” - me, out of pocket, $1400.

Second one: one rear shock went bad, and needed change - they won't replace it even though it is in the contract. Reason: "Needs to be damaged by any other component under warranty, like a failing rear axle, that will take out the strut it the process" - me, at loss again.

The third and the last one was a cam sensor. This time they told me that my oil change was not done at CarMax and so was not valid, because I did not take proper care of my vehicle. I told them it was done at Mercedes Benz dealership, but that did not matter. Buyer beware; do not buy any warranty at CarMax - especially do not buy MaxCare. Sorry, I could not leave 0 stars.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.