MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty Claims Reviews

2.0/5 (132 ratings)

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Protect My Car

Protect My Car

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Pricing

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I purchased a 2015 GMC Acadia from CarMax and got the best MaxCare warranty - 5 years, 50K miles, zero deductible at preferred shops. After 2 years, the car started falling apart. In the space of a year and a half, I had it in the shop at least 10 times. MaxCare paid out a solid $10K in repair bills in that time, with never a bit of hassle. Never cost me a dime. Couldn't have been a better experience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Experiencing delamination of the 8.4" Touchscreen on my 2018 Ram 1500. I have the MaxCare extended warranty and it is supposed to also cover electronics but nobody except the Ram dealership will work on the touchscreen--and, of course, they are not a MaxCare repair shop. I have called several MaxCare recommended shops and they all say to take it to the dealer.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2021

We are a repair shop attempting to contact MaxCare on a customer's behalf to authorize a repair. So far, we have been unable to speak with a representative, been given the runaround and left on hold for over 75 minutes checking the status of our claim. Our shop deals with warranty companies frequently, and most of them are professional and courteous. I would not recommend MaxCare and highly doubt that they will ever pick up the phone or answer our inquiries. Feels like a scam to me.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I purchased my vehicle in December of 2016 at Carmax in Merriam, Ks. They told me all the good stuff you want to hear and I even read the warranty. Keep in mind I have operated in the car business for 5 years myself. I bought the vehicle with 61,586 on the miles. Just hit 93,000. So 32k in 4 years and I live in Kansas mind you. Over the weekend I was driving in town and my driver side drive axle snapped in half. I pay to have the vehicle towed to my show. They see that it snapped and let me know. So I contact Maxcare to file a claim and find out about the reimbursement process. The first guy I spoke with was pretty nice but you could tell was kinda lost. He places me on hold while he types up his report. Comes back and asks me for my phone number. I provided my number.

A few minutes later his phone dropped the call and he never attempted to call me back (this was after 15 minutes on hold initially and then about 15 minutes with him on the phone. I call back and wait 22 minutes before my call is taken. Called back to verify what else I needed to do so I could get the claim moving and get my tow reimbursement. Find out the first guy put the tow and the repair under different claim numbers. That was wrong so I provided my shop with the wrong number.

So I had to contact them with the repair number not the tow number I was told that was correct. Then the CSR places me on hold for 5-10 minutes and comes back telling me both him and the previous CSR told me incorrectly. That those were numbers they use internally and that I would get the actual claim # when it is approved. That when it was approved I would need to call back again to get the NPA sent out because they have no process to automatically do it. I asked the guy to places notes to have the claims adjuster send it out when approved. He said they don't do it that way. He said" I can put notes in the claim but the adjuster probably won't do it". I went rounds about how inconvenient it was and how I am doing all the work for my warranty reimbursement and they don't do ANYTHING! He just said "I understand" over and over with no provided solution or attempt to save me the time.

I informed him I have spent over an hour of my day with them already. I don't have time to keep calling back and to sit on hold to have my call answered 20 minutes later. Only to get incorrect info both times. Again he could have cared less. Then comes the drive axle that snapped in half and the repair shop contacted Maxcare to speak with the claims adjuster. Only to be told that it was denied after the shop sent them the picture showing it snapped. They said it rusted through. It absolutely did NOT rust through and just had some surface rust. The shop explained to them it was not a failure of the part due to rust, over and over. They denied the claim and I had to pay another $260 out of pocket after the $105 tow I already have paid.

Called to speak with a supervisor and she again said it was my fault it's rusted and that the corrosion was the failure. Even after I explained I have worked in warranty and even seen the part myself. There was zero loss of shaft shape and I didn't hit anything. Of course it will have surface rust after 4 years in Kansas weather with snow. Again she could have cared less and said the claim is denied. These people are a fraud and will NOT cover your repairs like they say. This was my first and only claim presented in 4 years almost. I would NEVER recommend these frauds to anyone and buyer beware!!!! Keep in mind I paid $2200 for this extended warranty. NOT worth it!!!

Original review: June 9, 2020

Worse experience I’ve had or witness buying a car. Not even a week off the lot and my car was back in the shop for up to 2 months. Paint kept coming off, air bag light, multiple issues at once throughout the summmer! HOWEVER, they offer you a Maxcare plan that doesn’t secure the customer. My engine goes out a year later and MAXCARE gives me the run around for about 1 and half months. Just to deny my claim... they would NOT replace my engine or pay for a rental while my car was being fixed I had my maintenance receipts and everything. Why make a customer pay on time every month if they CANNOT use the service or warranty!! I would NOT recommend CarMax ESPECIALLY Maxcare to anyone! They are not for the customer!!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I called the provider to confirm a claim I would make to get an alternator replaced would be covered. The representative said yes and then went out of his way to tell me that all labor required to replace it would also be covered. I learned this wasn't the case when I got the estimate for the repairs back from my mechanic. A few more phone calls to the MaxCare provider later, I got to someone who told me honestly that labor up to a certain point is covered based on national labor allowances. I'll also be looking for a new mechanic, but I didn't appreciate someone going out of their way to lie to me about what's provided, particularly when the difference is a few hundred dollars. Getting to the bottom of up also sucked up much of my work day.

Original review: April 20, 2020

If I could give 0 stars I would. I would not recommend the MaxCare warranty to anyone. They talk a great game and promise you the moon when explaining everything it covers until you take it in for a "covered repair" and they deny the claim. The service guy called them, I called them, the service manager called them to explain the nature of the failure which should have been completely covered and all they would say is, "I'm sorry. We are not going to cover it." REALLY... Don't buy this warranty, you will only get screwed in the end. Period. You will be better off taking the money and putting it in an account....at least it will be worth that much when you need it. CarMax....you should be ashamed!! I will never buy another car from you or let you con me into an extended warranty again! And you can bet I'm going to tell everyone who will listen about my experience...

Original review: July 11, 2019

I bought the warranty for $3500 last year. Right after I had the MB SUV for one year, it started to have lots of issues. In the last three month, I had transmission replaced $7000, starter, $1603.66, idler pulley $681.56, engine mounts $2691.17. That's $12000 in total. All I have to pay is $500 deductible. Thanks God I still purchased the warranty after seeing the reviews on this website. Otherwise I might be crying right now ‘cause who knows how much I would need to pay to get this car repaired in the next few years.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I purchased a Mercedes Benz S550 from CarMax, also purchasing the maximum MaxCare policy along with it. 5 years/100K miles. After two years and only 72000 miles on the odometer and after having several major repairs covered, I brought the car in for a malfunctioning air conditioning compressor. I was informed that the repair would not be covered under MaxCare because the total cost of previous repairs had reached the purchase price of the car! This was exclusion was never mentioned verbally, nor in print under exclusions in the MaxCare sales pamphlet that the sales consultant went over with me when I purchased the car. I’m very disappointed with CarMax!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

I paid $1400 for an extended warranty and when my engine blew they would not cover to replace. They will look for every little thing to disqualify you so they dont have to pay. They make it sound like a great program to get you to buy. But when something happens to your vehicle they wont pay. I will never purchase a extended warranty again. The money you spend in the warranty could go towards future repairs. Save yourself time, stress and worry. DONT BUY!!!!

Original review: May 3, 2019

In the last 2 years I have bought a 2014 Cadillac ATS and a 2009 VW Jetta from CarMax. I hesitantly bought the aftermarket warranty for both. Unfortunately, 4 months after buying my ATS it needed a $3700.00 rear differential replacement. Since I could get the service done at any mechanic I took it to the Cadillac dealer who gave me a loaner. The representative came and looked at my car and approved the repair right away.

Then my Jetta needed $4500.00 front end repair work. The warranty paid for my rental for 5 days, no expense to me. The repair work was approved in one day. I just had to have the CUE replaced on the ATS, $1300.00. Again a loaner and no issue getting approved at all. The warranty and the deductibles together so far have come to $2600.00 and I have have had approx. $9000.00 repair work done, excluding rental cars. I could not be happier with my investment in these warranties and will never buy a used car without one again. Happy guy here!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have taken my 2008 750i BMW to AAA certified mechanic and they have gone on and beyond on my repairs. Maxcare has approved at least 35,000 in repairs worth every penny. I usually receive a rental car immediately they cover a rental for up to 7 days. I have nothing but positive feedback to give Maxcare. I don't bother with Carmax. They usually need an appointment and the soonest appointment available is usually 1-2 weeks.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I see many people with bad experiences with Maxcare on here. I am quite the opposite. I had to have major repairs made on my 2011 A4. A known (Audi) oil consumption issue on the model and year of my car that over time damaged my pistons to the point that they needed to be replaced. For anyone that has ever needed to replace their pistons you know it is a huge repair expense (around $6300 for an Audi A4) because of the required engine teardown! There were also 2 minor oil leaks that needed repairing (around $800.00). MaxCare approved the repairs within 2 hours of being requested. I was working with the Audi Dealership Service Department in Annapolis so these were repairs made by Audi trained mechanics. The only caveat was to provide my service records to show that I was keeping up with the manufacturer recommended routine services (which I had been, thank Goodness).

I would say that I have gotten my money's worth with this warranty. I bought the 125k/6 year warranty for around 4k and I am so glad that I did!!! It has paid for itself and then some and I can now rest easy that I was only out of pocket my deductible (which is pretty high at $500.00) but given the over 7k in repairs, I will gladly pay that in lieu of what it would have been. I still have 35k miles and almost 2 years left on this warranty. I truly hope that I do not need it, but if I do, I have peace of mind knowing that I have it.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a 2002 Corvette from CarMax. I got the warranty for 6 years 100,000 miles in 2013. In 2016 I had some major problems. I had $18,000,00 in the car and all covered my Maxcare through CarMax. The repair shop owner screwed me and CarMax by putting ** parts in my Corvette. I started seeing the same problems 13 months later and the repair shop closed and took off with a lot of repair money. I called Maxcare and they told me because it was 13 months later they would pay again. The second time was $12.000 in repairs and they paid 100% again. It is a great company. I now have a different car, another Corvette and looking for a secondary warranty company and cannot find one.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Do NOT pay for this warranty through CarMax! They will give you incorrect information & then screw you out of money & not pay for what they say they will pay for. If you want a warranty, purchase it through one of the many legit warranty companies that will properly inform you & pay your claims.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Perhaps it is because I had to go through an actual dealer for repairs vs. having Carmax do the repairs, but my experience has been amazing. Within a month of buying a Porsche Cayman, I developed a strange noise in the transmission. I took the car to my local Porsche dealer and, long story short, two months later my car has a new transmission. I paid only my $300 co-pay and Maxcare covered the remaining amount (nearly $10K) without blinking an eye. Within two months, Maxcare has paid for itself 4 times over and I still have 5 years to go on the warranty. If you are considering an expensive vehicle, I'd highly recommend opting for Maxcare.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I bought a Mercedes GLK at CarMax and paid $2,100 for MaxCare. I used MaxCare twice. They covered more than $4,000 in repairs for my car. My car stayed at the repair shop only a few days each time. Works fine for me.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I would NOT recommend getting MaxCare. When buying a car from CarMax, they will "force" MaxCare on you but hold your ground and refuse. If they're being aggressive with it, just tell them, "Can we just proceed with the purchase of the car please." Save that money and invest it in your own car insurance's comprehensive plan. It will save you time, stress and money and provide you with a rental car for the entire duration of your repair.

My car broke down a month and a half ago and having the MaxCare Extended Warranty, I took my car to the local CarMax Service Center. After having the diagnostics, I was told by the technician that the car's issue was with the alternator having voltage issues which damaged the battery (this was also stated on the technician's report). Seeing how alternator issues were covered by my warranty, I was shocked to hear that MaxCare denied my claim due to "battery issues" as they claimed that the battery was faulty and thus damaged my alternator.

I don't know if they were simply trying to take advantage of the fact that I am a college student who doesn't know much about cars but the fact that they lied to me about the cause in order to weasel their way out of having to pay for the repair was just appalling. I had to fight this for over two weeks by calling MaxCare and the Service Center every single business day and miraculously, the technician and his manager somehow got the claim approved on the third week.

Repairs took another week and my car was due to be completed last Friday yet I am here on Monday being told by the technician that MaxCare has not yet responded to the work report he filed a week ago for the last part required for the repair. Oh and since my car has been literally sitting in the Service Center's garage for a month, MaxCare was so kind enough to provide me with just one week's worth of car rental. Anything else is out of pocket. I appreciate everything that the technician from my local Service Center did for me. He went above and beyond to really get me the help I needed but the deceit and the excessive delay that MaxCare displayed for the past month is simply unacceptable and unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a MaxCare warranty for my Porsche Cayman. Took it in to the dealer to get a door latch fixed and to check the steering. After they fixed everything the total came to about $2700. MaxCare paid $1300 - $150 for my deductible. They refused to pay for the alignment that was needed after the repair was done. Clips and misc. parts that were needed or shop supplies.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have purchased 4 cars from CarMax over the past 9 years and carry the complete MaxCare warranty on all of them. I never had an opportunity to use one until last week. My 2011 Nissan Rouge had an HVAC blower go out so I contacted MaxCare and was greeted very professionally. I asked if it was covered and was told YES anything that is not in the exclusion pages was covered. I initiated the process at my local repair shop. After verification the blower and control was replaced. We then found that the compressor had also failed after startup. I was concerned that I would be charged for the deductible two times. Not the case. The agent had the repair shop replace it under the same request. Great service. I will continue to take the warranty with my next car.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Maxcare refused to cover the cost to repair my car by making up a bogus excuse. I was on the hook for over 1000 dollars. They also took over 2 weeks to give the dealership the approval to work on the car and was left without a car for over 3 weeks. I even called the warranty center and they stated it would be covered if the part that broke wasn’t due to negligence or abuse. They lied about that again. The customer service at their warranty center is awful refusing to let me speak to another person that may help my situation. Their representative also got angry at me and curse over the phone. If I could rate them lower I would. Never buy from CarMax again.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Brought my 2008 F250 in for service to a Ford dealership on Tuesday. Ford called Maxcare and Maxcare agreed to pay for the repairs minus my deductible... Truck was done Wednesday and Ford couldn't release the truck to me 'till Maxcare paid them. After several calls to Maxcare by Ford and myself this still is not paid. Here it is Friday and I am still without my truck. They don't open again 'till Monday so I am without it all weekend and get to call and try to get them to pay. This is obnoxious. It's going to cost me more money in Uber getting back and forth to work than what the repair cost will be.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have Kia Sorento... It leaking Oil pressure switch oil pan and Timing cover leaking. I had drop my vehicle on KIA dealer for 5 day. Dealer follow up with Maxcare. They bill around 3000K for repair. Maxcare take care all of things. I have only pay 50 dollar copay. I am very happy with insurance. I recommend it.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I was really nervous about what we would have to go through when we submitted our first warranty claim. Yesterday my husband took our van into our local repair shop because of some clunking noises we had been hearing, and they found that there was a stabilizer bar that had broken and also noted that the rack and pinion were starting to leak. We had the auto shop call Maxcare's number to get preauthorization to work on it, and they gave it over the phone that morning. We had to pay for another repair on our own because it wasn't covered, but the two things mentioned above were covered by Maxcare and saved us $1,100. We got our car back by the end of the day totally repaired. So far, so good!

Resolution response: March 18, 2019

Company decided to replace my rear suspension at $0 cost to me. I am happy with the resolution.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

So I brought my 2013 Lincoln MKZ into Carmax in Westborough where I purchased the vehicle about a year ago because the rear end was making a lot of noise. Come to find out the rear air suspension was faulty and wasn't working. Bought the Maxcare warranty $3500 for repairs like this. No problem right? Nope. Get a call at 12 saying Maxcare refused to pay for anything. ** joke. Now I'm stuck with a $1000 bill and mind you the car only has 40,000 miles on it. Shouldn't be replacing air suspension at those miles. I called them today and asked for my money back. Will never use them again. Huge waste of money and time.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We purchased the CarMax warranty. It allegedly covers major repairs. So when our car did not start we phoned to see if we could get the car towed there for repairs. Their response was that we could do that but would have to wait 10 days for the repair to take place. What good is that? This is my second bad experience. The first time I phoned CarMax to get a simple oil change the lines were busy so I left a message for a call back. They never called back. What good is the warranty with that kind of service?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I bought a car from Carmax and accepted the extended warranty from the sales associate, who said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... Confirmed that I could simply "bring the car to any authorized repair place or dealership, pay $300 for the repair (on covered items), and get a loaner vehicle while the service was being done." Great, right? Wrong. It's been so much more complicated, and I still don't have a loaner vehicle. Eleven months after I purchased my car, the engine began to eat itself. I heard a loud knocking. Brought it to a Hyundai dealership directly for servicing (Carmax wouldn't make me an in-house appointment for two weeks-- they suggested I continue to drive/damage the car in the meantime!).

Hyundai diagnosed it the same morning I dropped it off. It was bad. They called to confirm the warranty service with MaxCare. The insurance company immediately demanded my last oil change receipt. "J'ACCUSE!" They want to blame this on me. Great. Luckily, I value my car, so I change my oil. I had a receipt. I sent it. Later, the same day: They are now trying to decide (while I wait, in limbo) if the oil change receipt is valid, because it contains my license plate number but not my VIN number. I assure you, it's a valid receipt, and the oil has been regularly changed. Are they suggesting that I might have pulled the engine out of my car, found another identical vehicle, pulled out its engine, swapped it with mine, got the oil changed, then un-swapped it, therefore rendering the warranty void?

If I had access to a shop where I could just randomly pull engines, I wouldn't be driving a Hyundai and I wouldn't be shopping at CarMax. They are also leaving me without a loaner vehicle until they decide whether or not to honor this claim. All I did was purchase a car and a warranty. I hate being treated like a criminal, being without a loaner vehicle, and being given the runaround by this MaxCare (DBA The Warranty Group) company. I specifically got it for peace of mind, so I knew car repairs would never get in the way of me driving to work. So far, this is not my experience.

Incidentally, the people at North Bethesda Hyundai are superb. They're doing their best, but are, though no fault of their own, caught in the same agreement I am, because of the extended warranty. I've already spent $25 on an Uber to get to work this morning and will probably take a few more of those before all of this is settled. Let's see how long this goes...

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Customer service is horrible! They like to take your money but won't approve your claim. I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza, I bought used from CarMax with 42 and some change mileage. I put 44 or so on it in 5 yrs. Good car wanted to keep for daughter, anyway I do my own maintenance buy oil by the case when on sale when shopping for the house, so I don't keep the receipts.

Car broke down, had towed to shop, they wanted me to pay 867 for engine dismantle and pics sent to them. But if they don't honor it you pay the full cost. I told them I can't gamble that kind of money. Then Maxcare called and said we will send guy out to listen to it, he did got call and they asked for service records, but basically if you have no records it's denied. I said, "What is wrong with it?" They said, "Pay 867 and we will know." I said, "How can you deny a claim when you don't even know what's wrong with it?" I told them, "I have never put a claim in till now and if you won't approve it I want my money back." Basically THEY ARE LEGALLY STEALING YOUR MONEY. DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!!! I got nowhere with them, I owe on the car still and they screwed me. I hope this rip off company goes out of business. The worst part is this is all you can do about it is a review.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I bought the Maxcare Warranty through Carmax that was 2800+ dollars. I expected them to take care of me the way that a warranty company should. HECK NO!!!! My transmission went out on my Chevy Malibu, I have done all the maintenance, and taken care of my car mechanically. I had to pay out of pocket for a rental (which is covered under the "Warranty") and I just had to pay for another week of a rental because they are sending a INSPECTOR to check the transmission on my car. Mind you they have already had my car for a week, now we wait for the inspector to show which we have no idea when he will. IF they approve the claim then I have to wait another week for the car to get fixed... I am just so annoyed and feel so ripped off. I have never been so disappointed and pissed in my life.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I have a 2013 Nissan Altima I brought from CarMax. I've only had the car short of a year and the transmission went out. I purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I called and they told me which dealership to take it to. From the first time I called I experienced a problem. It took them two days to respond to the dealership. Once the tech told them it was the transmission the warrant group instructed them to fix the recalls and return it to me. The tech told them this would not fix the transmission. However the tech did what was they ask. I got the car back and on my way home the vehicle did the same exact thing and I was stranded on the side of the road for an hour. I had to struggle to get the car back to the dealership.

So after this happen the warranty group said to put a used transmission. After several conversations they finally decided to pay for a new transmission. Not only did I experience horrible customer service each time I called because they would put me on long holds, transfer me back and forth to different people and nobody knew what the problem was. I also experienced a problem with them not wanting to issue a rental when they said they was and I also had to come out of pocket with nearly 200 just for the rental because they didn't cover it for the entire repair time. So my vehicle was still in the shop and they did not pay for the rental. I've called them and each person say a different story. When asked to speak to a supervisor they gave me even more trouble and he was not willing to help with anything. Worst experience ever with an extended warranty that I purchased. I would not recommend this company even if it was free.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.