4.4/5 (2275 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors
  • Contracts available in Spanish
  • Transferable warranties
  • Covers various vehicles

Cons

• Inconvenient quote process
  • Limited benefits

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

Top CarShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Had to replace my 2018 Impala evaporator core and it would have cost me 2000.00 out of pocket if I didn't have Car Shield. I took the car to the dealership services and they took ...

Verified

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure...

What is CarShield?

CarShield is a company that offers vehicle service contracts for new and used vehicles, including motorcycles, ATVs and cars with up to 200,000 miles. The company has six contract options, almost all of which are available on a month-to-month basis, so you aren’t locked into a long-term commitment. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Most warranties are transferable too.

How much does CarShield cost?

CarShield’s rates vary widely, but you can expect prices to be under $100 a month. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so you have a full two years to pay off your extended auto warranty. If you choose a month-to-month plan, your payments will last the entirety of your coverage, though.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the company’s website, so the best way to get precise prices is to contact CarShield. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via its online form or by calling CarShield’s customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has six protection plans available for both new and used cars, offering protection from powertrain to comprehensive coverages. CarShield’s six contracts are as follows:

Silver
Silver is CarShield’s powertrain plan and its most affordable coverage. It covers your vehicle’s:
Gold
Gold is Carshield’s powertrain plus plan. It covers everything the Silver plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
Platinum
Platinum is CarShield’s comprehensive plan. It covers everything the Gold plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
  • GPS
Diamond
Diamond is CarShield’s plan that most closely mimics a manufacturer’s warranty. It covers everything the Platinum plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
  • GPS
  • Wiring harness
Aluminum
Aluminum covers electronics- and computer-related components, including your vehicle’s:
  • Wiring harness
Other coverage
CarShield’s other plans cover components on motorcycles and ATVs, including the following components, if applicable:
  • Radiator

The Diamond plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty, often referred to as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield. CarShield suggests the Platinum plan for older vehicles since it offers significant coverage.

The Gold plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Silver plan is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price.

The Aluminum plan covers high-tech items, and plans for motorcycles and ATVs offer customized coverage for those vehicles. For more details on costs and what each plan covers, talk to a CarShield representative.

How does CarShield work?

CarShield provides extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. These policies act as insurance against unforeseen breakdowns. When you need a repair made, go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield then pays for the covered repairs.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 200,000 miles. This limit is higher than what many extended auto warranty companies offer, so CarShield is a good choice if you have a high-mileage car.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield covers. Contracts are available in English and Spanish. Most CarShield contracts are also transferable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of your vehicle.

Additional CarShield benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental cars.

CarShield FAQ

Is CarShield a rip-off?
No, CarShield is a legitimate company offering extended vehicle warranty plans. Before settling on any warranty company, it is important to do your research and understand its cancellation and refund policies, along with its various plan offerings. Doing this early on helps you decide what is right for you and avoid scams or rip-offs.
How much does CarShield cost a month?
CarShield does not offer pricing on its website, as costs vary based on your vehicle’s type, age, mileage and coverage. However, you can get a quote by calling the company’s customer service or submitting a form online through CarShield’s website.
Does CarShield cover electrical problems?
Yes, the Aluminum, Platinum and Diamond plans cover electrical issues.
What doesn’t CarShield cover?
CarShield does not cover oil changes or similar routine maintenance issues. It also does not cover oil leaks unless they are a result of engine failure and you have one of the appropriate plans.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is generally worth it. It offers a wide variety of plans, which can be especially helpful if you aren’t yet sure what kind of coverage you want. We like that it offers month-to-month contracts and motorcycle coverage — plus, having contracts available in Spanish is a big benefit if you’re not as fluent in English. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, consider CarShield.

CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I need to take my car to a shop to have them check out a loud roaring grinding noise while I was driving. When I picked up my car they had put a brand new transmission in it ran new front wheel bearings but the loud grinding noise still persist with no explanation. As far as my service with CarShield was great the mechanic was really nice but I still have a problem with my car and I’m not willing to continue this goose chase and I hate my car now!! ASAP I will trade and get a new car with a factory warranty where I can take it to a mechanic that’s specializes in the vehicle I own and is familiar with it and the time left without a vehicle won’t be a month or better. Trust Carshield to get their part done! But watch who you take your vehicle to!!

CarShield response

We appreciate your support. If you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

CarShield's Customer Service Representative, DJ:

1) Is an intelligent & polite professional business minded individual.

2) DJ overwhelmingly applied her contract expertise to my warranty investigation by which she pointed out in detail the coverage that I needed to proceed with this new CarShield contract.

3) There were two representatives & a claims department representative that were unable to verify the unusual electrical/electronic devices in my vehicle's compartment area. However, DJ reviewed the computer entries by the other representatives and immediately implemented her vast knowledge of the contract.

4) While being impressed & overjoyed with DJ's efficiently accurate presentation of the contract's wording, I couldn't help but wonder why this woman wasn't working for a legal firm. INDEED, I WAS IMPRESSED TO SAY THE LEAST!

5) If DJ did not embrace the situation with her tactical ability to evaluate & commence quoting from the contract's Addendum 1, I would have dismissed my new customer contract. People of DJ's caliber are required in upper management because: (1) they know what is covered under the contracts, (2) they are able to decipher & comprehend a situation accurately & efficiently with their expertise & (3) they know how utilize their legal vocabulary to the company's advantage.

CarShield response

We are pleased to hear you found our customer service team helpful! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

On Thanksgiving while traveling from church my check engine light came on. Friday 11/26/21 I took my vehicle to a Firestone located in Columbia SC to get a diagnostic test done. The problem was the cooling system. Thermostat need to be replaced. The estimate for my vehicle (2018 Cadillac XT5) came to $1034.09. While standing at the register I immediately called CARSHIELD feeling somewhat optimistic, until the guy on the phone told me “I’m Not Covered!” Needless to say… I was embarrassed and felt cheated.

I’ve been a customer since 7/29/20 and signed up for the Diamond Elite package. My husband and I are on a fixed income and cannot afford unexpected expense such as this one; and therefore we maintain insurances. Ironically, a year ago I was at an auto detail shop and was sitting next to this obnoxious guy who complained about everything! Your CARSHIELD commercial came on and he said “That’s a rip off”. At the time I ignored him because I didn’t want to hear that being a client of your company. I called back and your customer care manager, April (Operator ID **) took care of my service needs, with compassion and care. She also provided me with the needed information to get my claim started and deducted $100.00 off my yearly premium.

CarShield response

We appreciate your time and we are glad you took the opportunity to protect your vehicle. If you have any questions give us a call!

Original review: April 26, 2021

Hello I'm Bridgette ** currently an American Car Shield Policy holder **. Please see the attached contract that was emailed to me on Mar 17th 2021. I called inquiring on preventive maintenance for free tire rotation and oil change per year several weeks ago. I was told that you didn't offer that type of coverage and I stated, when I purchased the contract it was offered to me. So I requested a copy of my contract, Please see the attached. This is what was emailed to me as my policy I have just requested. I have been paying for a policy for coverage that has no record of existence. I called in just to note I'm taking my car in for an issue which would hopefully speed up the repair time by doing this.

I stated I was having a problem with my radio screen flash and not working properly and when accelerating it's sluggish accelerating up to higher speed. I have called several times, I've been transferred, hung up on, left messages for a manager to contact me, no response this has been going on for several days trying to get to the right department, actually there may be a problem that needs to be addressed, having difficulties with your transferring to another department. I really don't believe I would have gotten hung up on that many times without being rude.

Thank GOD for Kiara receiving my phone call today giving me clarity on how this could have possibly happened. When I called in to update my credit card information, and wanted to use my pre-maintenance service that was available to me at start up, but for some reason It's not on my policy, So I ask for a copy of my contract to be sent to me. This is what I received this attachment.

It has been stated to me that is a dummy contract, why would Jennifer ** send me a dummy contract for an existing policy? Now that I may need this coverage this is not on my policy, so why was it sent to me as my policy? I didn't check for a contract number. It was emailed from American Car Shield, which I personally have not had any problems with, but I have heard some complaints, since I hadn't had any issues. I choose to continue my coverage. Please Address this and do what's right by honoring what you sent to me. On the Addendum Page 13 of 13 of the attached document I can be reached at ** or by email. Please leave a message if I'm unable to take your call.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Purchased a contract with Car Shield based on your promise announced in your commercials. BUT reality was unclear. Didn't realize you would ONLY pay for repairs, and I would have to pay unforeseeable out-of-pocket labor costs, PLUS find a qualified car repair shop that accepts Car Shield first. My husband and I are very busy, but this method doubles our workload. (We live in an area with limited qualified car shops.)

Because of COVID19, I am currently unemployed and can no longer afford your monthly deductions from my account. Your customer service reps tried to save my account, and I appreciate their efforts. But I don't have the time nor money to continue to find a qualified car repair shop AND to pay you and the car repair shop for labor, too.

Therefore, I have no other choice but to CANCEL my account with Car Shield. Please inform MEPCO to stop deductions from my account. I really hope you re-engineer your business model to protect your reputation and ensure long-term sustainability. Since I have more than 11 years of B2C and B2B marketing experience, let me know if I can help you in anyway. Thank you.

Hey Norma,

Please note: We cannot accept cancellations here. You must contact us for this to process.

In terms of your claim, I see we are paying $568 on your window motor. We pay parts and labor. We use a nationally recognized labor guide to determine hours needed to repair parts and some repair facilities choose to overcharge for labor. In those cases, we recommend going with a different repair facility because they are overcharging and it will leave you paying more out of pocket than necessary.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

This warranty is advertised as you can take it to any shop/dealership and they will take it. Not a single shop or dealership had any interest in working with them. Useless warranty. I want a full refund.

CarShield response

Sorry you’re having trouble finding a local repair shop that accepts our coverage. Some shops refuse to take our coverage, however it is not for the reasons you may think. Some shops refuse to take any outside coverage because they want to be in charge of their own prices. There is a nationally recognized labor guide that tells repair facilities what to charge for what services and things like that. But it's up to each individual shop whether or not they want to follow it. With coverage like ours, we keep shops from overcharging our customers and shops don't always like that. We’re happy to stand on our record of servicing over 2 million customers over our 16 years in business. Not to mention our claims department pays out over $3 million in claims every month. If you need help finding other shops in your area, please give us a call.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Customer service was great. I paid off my contract in full over the phone. My truck coverage is great and put me at ease. I hope I never have to use CarShield but happy I have it if I need to. Have a nice day.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

My policy was lapsed and they were very good at getting me back on my policy without any setbacks. Carshield is quicker and faster than my Progressive insurance. When I was broke down in Austin I could not even get my policy number from the progressive employees so I called carshield. they didn't need any information from me. They already had it.

CarShield response

Thank you for your review and we are always here to help. Please give us a call if you need anything else!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

It was Great. The customer service lady was really good. She helped me out in and helped me understand what I needed. I won’t mind calling again and talking to the same one. She did a good job and I appreciate all your work.

CarShield response

We are pleased to hear our team was able to answer any questions you had. Thank you again for your time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I submitted my complaint to the Better Business Bureau and tonight I will submit my complaint to Yelp and Google and give it as much publicity as possible. American Auto Shield failed to honor their part of the contract. After $1600 of out of pocket car repair expense my vehicle is now in worse condition than when I brought it in to The Auto Repair shop, Joe's Auto Repair, than when I originally brought it in over one month ago. Read the claim # above for further details.

Its Customer Service job run interference between customers and adjuster. They are put in a bad position; they provided little to no service to contract holders. The coverage is a farce. The contract is written for legal to declare exceptions while adjusters dispense judgements based on false assertions.

CarShield response

We do apologize you feel this way. We at CarShield have little to no control over the claims, shop process, or the administrators' decision. We are, however, always willing to explain the coverage details or help you with any of your Customer Service needs. We do show that your claim was authorized and paid for over $1400 for the items that were verified breakdowns listed for coverage under your contract. We show that you are the one who decided not to get further diagnostic on the other issue. If you have any other questions, please give us a call, we are always here to help to the best of our ability.

CarShield Company Information