4.4/5 (2494 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors
    • Contracts available in Spanish
    • Transferable warranties
    • Covers various vehicles

Cons

• Inconvenient quote process
    • Limited benefits

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

Top CarShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Had to replace my 2018 Impala evaporator core and it would have cost me 2000.00 out of pocket if I didn't have Car Shield. I took the car to the dealership services and they took ...

Verified

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure...

What is CarShield?

CarShield is a company that offers vehicle service contracts for new and used vehicles, including motorcycles, ATVs and cars with up to 200,000 miles. The company has six contract options, almost all of which are available on a month-to-month basis, so you aren’t locked into a long-term commitment. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Most warranties are transferable too.

How much does CarShield cost?

CarShield’s rates vary widely, but you can expect prices to be under $100 a month. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so you have a full two years to pay off your extended auto warranty. If you choose a month-to-month plan, your payments will last the entirety of your coverage, though.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the company’s website, so the best way to get precise prices is to contact CarShield. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via its online form or by calling CarShield’s customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has six protection plans available for both new and used cars, offering protection from powertrain to comprehensive coverages. CarShield’s six contracts are as follows:

Silver
    Silver is CarShield’s powertrain plan and its most affordable coverage. It covers your vehicle’s:
    Gold
    Gold is Carshield’s powertrain plus plan. It covers everything the Silver plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    Platinum
    Platinum is CarShield’s comprehensive plan. It covers everything the Gold plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    Diamond
    Diamond is CarShield’s plan that most closely mimics a manufacturer’s warranty. It covers everything the Platinum plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    • Wiring harness
    Aluminum
    Aluminum covers electronics- and computer-related components, including your vehicle’s:
    • Wiring harness
    Other coverage
    CarShield’s other plans cover components on motorcycles and ATVs, including the following components, if applicable:
    • Radiator

The Diamond plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty, often referred to as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield. CarShield suggests the Platinum plan for older vehicles since it offers significant coverage.

The Gold plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Silver plan is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price.

The Aluminum plan covers high-tech items, and plans for motorcycles and ATVs offer customized coverage for those vehicles. For more details on costs and what each plan covers, talk to a CarShield representative.

How does CarShield work?

CarShield provides extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. These policies act as insurance against unforeseen breakdowns. When you need a repair made, go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield then pays for the covered repairs.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 200,000 miles. This limit is higher than what many extended auto warranty companies offer, so CarShield is a good choice if you have a high-mileage car.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield covers. Contracts are available in English and Spanish. Most CarShield contracts are also transferable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of your vehicle.

Additional CarShield benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental cars.

CarShield FAQ

Is CarShield a rip-off?
    No, CarShield is a legitimate company offering extended vehicle warranty plans. Before settling on any warranty company, it is important to do your research and understand its cancellation and refund policies, along with its various plan offerings. Doing this early on helps you decide what is right for you and avoid scams or rip-offs.
    How much does CarShield cost a month?
    CarShield does not offer pricing on its website, as costs vary based on your vehicle’s type, age, mileage and coverage. However, you can get a quote by calling the company’s customer service or submitting a form online through CarShield’s website.
    Does CarShield cover electrical problems?
    Yes, the Aluminum, Platinum and Diamond plans cover electrical issues.
    What doesn’t CarShield cover?
    CarShield does not cover oil changes or similar routine maintenance issues. It also does not cover oil leaks unless they are a result of engine failure and you have one of the appropriate plans.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is generally worth it. It offers a wide variety of plans, which can be especially helpful if you aren’t yet sure what kind of coverage you want. We like that it offers month-to-month contracts and motorcycle coverage — plus, having contracts available in Spanish is a big benefit if you’re not as fluent in English. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, consider CarShield.

CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: March 20, 2022

Well, where to began... As a newly single parent and prices skyrocketing everywhere, vehicle repairs is something I did not want to see at any given point yet what is man made will fail so here I am facing a bill larger than my rent (nearly 3x over) and I was just into my 2nd week of starting my new career. I had not even gotten paid from my new job and was just living off of my unemployment. I was still making sure Car Shield was getting paid even though I had my doubts and I had a little one to provide for. I heard of scams before and really didn't stand in the position of becoming broke by being scammed yet again like before with different things. I sat there looking at my little one at the repair shop, N.T.B. and scared on the inside and smiling on the outside.

The repair shop and CarShield were on the phone a good minute and I just reminded myself that I was going to keep my new job even if I had to walk to make sure we were okay. The repair/sales gentleman came back with news stating, "that worse case scenario you will have to okay out $354.00 out of $2,600.00+." I held in my tears that moment and constantly told him, "Thank you." I sat back and thought, this car shield is no joke and I needed to provide them both with good reviews. I still didn't have even that much to pay but when I left my vehicle there overnight till Monday, I made sure to still count my blessings and look at little one and told them hey when you get your first vehicle make sure to get CarShield and get the diamond plan.

I picked up my vehicle that Monday and paid only $254.04 out of a $$2,600.00+ vehicle repair bill all thanks to Car Shield and the wonderful people who understood my position during times like this. I WILL RECOMMEND CAR SHIELD TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE just as I did that day of payment to the customers inside the repair shop and at work when I was fortunate enough to drive back to work in my repaired vehicle with tears in my eye, a great full heart, and a few dollars left to purchase my little one a Chick-fil-A nugget meal, and gas. I may have not had enough for anything else (yes bills were already paid) but what little I did have I made sure to see my little one smile and to have a tank of gas in my Car Shield paid running vehicle to help me get back and forth to work. Thank you Car Shield so much.

CarShield response

We are so happy to hear this, and are glad we were able to help! Let us know if we can be of further assistance in the future!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I called to cancel. When talking to rep. She was persistent in me keeping CarShield. I was in process of buying a new car.. I have no use when buying a new car. I said my payment is automatic and wanted the payment returned. She said CarShield does not give refunds. I ask to speak to supervisor. The supervisor said they will look into it. It's been 3 months since I closed my account.

CarShield response

We do apologize. Our refund policy is only refundable during the first 30 days on month to month accounts. We would have needed 24-48 hours notice to stop a payment. There would be no refund due on this account. If you have any further questions, please give us a call.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I need to take my car to a shop to have them check out a loud roaring grinding noise while I was driving. When I picked up my car they had put a brand new transmission in it ran new front wheel bearings but the loud grinding noise still persist with no explanation. As far as my service with CarShield was great the mechanic was really nice but I still have a problem with my car and I’m not willing to continue this goose chase and I hate my car now!! ASAP I will trade and get a new car with a factory warranty where I can take it to a mechanic that’s specializes in the vehicle I own and is familiar with it and the time left without a vehicle won’t be a month or better. Trust Carshield to get their part done! But watch who you take your vehicle to!!

CarShield response

We appreciate your support. If you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

CarShield's Customer Service Representative, DJ:

1) Is an intelligent & polite professional business minded individual.

2) DJ overwhelmingly applied her contract expertise to my warranty investigation by which she pointed out in detail the coverage that I needed to proceed with this new CarShield contract.

3) There were two representatives & a claims department representative that were unable to verify the unusual electrical/electronic devices in my vehicle's compartment area. However, DJ reviewed the computer entries by the other representatives and immediately implemented her vast knowledge of the contract.

4) While being impressed & overjoyed with DJ's efficiently accurate presentation of the contract's wording, I couldn't help but wonder why this woman wasn't working for a legal firm. INDEED, I WAS IMPRESSED TO SAY THE LEAST!

5) If DJ did not embrace the situation with her tactical ability to evaluate & commence quoting from the contract's Addendum 1, I would have dismissed my new customer contract. People of DJ's caliber are required in upper management because: (1) they know what is covered under the contracts, (2) they are able to decipher & comprehend a situation accurately & efficiently with their expertise & (3) they know how utilize their legal vocabulary to the company's advantage.

CarShield response

We are pleased to hear you found our customer service team helpful! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

On Thanksgiving while traveling from church my check engine light came on. Friday 11/26/21 I took my vehicle to a Firestone located in Columbia SC to get a diagnostic test done. The problem was the cooling system. Thermostat need to be replaced. The estimate for my vehicle (2018 Cadillac XT5) came to $1034.09. While standing at the register I immediately called CARSHIELD feeling somewhat optimistic, until the guy on the phone told me “I’m Not Covered!” Needless to say… I was embarrassed and felt cheated.

I’ve been a customer since 7/29/20 and signed up for the Diamond Elite package. My husband and I are on a fixed income and cannot afford unexpected expense such as this one; and therefore we maintain insurances. Ironically, a year ago I was at an auto detail shop and was sitting next to this obnoxious guy who complained about everything! Your CARSHIELD commercial came on and he said “That’s a rip off”. At the time I ignored him because I didn’t want to hear that being a client of your company. I called back and your customer care manager, April (Operator ID **) took care of my service needs, with compassion and care. She also provided me with the needed information to get my claim started and deducted $100.00 off my yearly premium.

CarShield response

We appreciate your time and we are glad you took the opportunity to protect your vehicle. If you have any questions give us a call!

Original review: May 7, 2022

I bought the policy and the hype that all covered repairs would be attended to. I assumed I could take my car to the dealer or any other repair facility to get the work done. That is not so. The work can only be done at a facility approved by Car Shield. In Toronto, metropolis of 4-5 million people there is only 1 repair facility approved by car shield. I am cancelling my policy as I am very disappointed.

CarShield response

Sorry you’re having trouble finding a local repair shop that accepts our coverage. Some shops refuse to take our coverage, however it is not for the reasons you may think. Some shops refuse to take any outside coverage because they want to be in charge of their own prices. There is a nationally recognized labor guide that tells repair facilities what to charge for what services and things like that. But it's up to each individual shop whether or not they want to follow it. With coverage like ours, we keep shops from overcharging our customers and shops don't always like that. We’re happy to stand on our record of servicing over 2 million customers over our 17 years in business. Not to mention our claims department pays out over $3 million in claims every month. If you need help finding other shops in your area, please give us a call.

Original review: May 7, 2022

The young lady that I talk to today was extremely helpful and she worked with me in order to come to a conclusion that the both of us were happy with. I would definitely share the word about Carshield. It’s a great company and it’s nice to know that my vehicle is covered.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Great service. The service was professional. the agent answered all my questions. I am quite pleased. I will be in contact with you when I need services for my Miata MX 5 convertible. Please keep my information on file for further reference.

CarShield response

We are pleased to hear our team was able to answer any questions you had. Thank you again for your time.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I had a great time working with Carshield. They pay my bill in a timely manner. I would recommend them to anyone who a service. Agreement for their car. They wad very helpful with my concern. It was a great time dealing with Carshield.

CarShield response

Thank you for your review. Glad to see our customer service was able to help you out so quickly. Please contact us if you have any other questions.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I have an open claim, please talk to Ashlee work ID **. She has spoken to me a few days ago about the problem with my claim. I had started the Car shield policy by giving an approximate mileage and called again with the correct odometer reading later on the same day. The mileage was not updated and when my car broke down several months later the claim was falsely denied because my mileage was under 250, 248 miles is what I was told. When I called Carshield the next day and when I asked what was the mileage recorded when I started Car Shield and what was the mileage that the Chrysler dealer in Paramus NJ documented when the car was towed to their repair facility, the mileage was well over 350. Therefore I should be covered for the repairs. Please get back to me **. Thank you. Robert

CarShield response

Sorry to hear there may have been confusion about your coverage. Give us a call sometime and we can go over your policy and answer any questions you have.

CarShield Company Information