Get Pricing

4.1/5 (336 ratings)
Get Pricing

About CARCHEX

CARCHEX helps you purchase and maintain your car by offering various vehicle products, including extended auto warranties. Rather than offering its own plans, CARCHEX works with multiple third-party warranty providers. These vehicle service contracts cover repairs due to mechanical failures or malfunctions but not collisions. Plans also come with additional benefits like roadside assistance and towing.

Pros

• Available in California
    • Partners with charities
    • Accepts high-mileage cars
    • Lower-cost plans available

Cons

• Doesn't cover exotic vehicles
    • Some contracts aren't renewable

Bottom Line

Consider CARCHEX if you’re looking for an extended auto warranty, especially if you have a high-mileage vehicle. Although its contracts can be confusing, company representatives can help you understand what you're signing.

Top CARCHEX Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Verified

The sign up process was really simple and easy. The associate gave me a lot of information and answered all of our questions. ... I had hard questions and if he didn't know the an...

Verified

I spoke to a young lady at CARCHEX. ... She was there to help me and she didn't let anything stop her. She was able to lower the price. The plan sounded like a pretty good deal. I...

CARCHEX warranty cost

The average price of a five-year contract with CARCHEX is about $1,500. Expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. However, costs vary based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The best way to get a better idea of your cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX lets you pay for your extended warranty over a maximum of 24 months. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards, and it has a 30-day, money-back guarantee in case you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage levels that span 16 different warranty plans from different providers.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsIdeal for
    Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7 – 10 yearsComprehensive coverage
    Platinum CoverageStated-component5 – 10 yearsShort-term coverage
    Gold CoverageComprehensive5 – 10 yearsVehicles with over 60,000 miles
    Silver CoverageEssential5 – 10 yearsBasic coverage
    Bronze CoverageMajor systems5 – 6 yearsAffordability

Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that your vehicle’s transmission, drive axle(s) and engine are covered along with the other components that send power to the wheels.

CARCHEX coverage

CARCHEX’s coverage is available for vehicles with up to 250,000 miles. This coverage kicks in after a waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles, but this is a fairly standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Once you’re past the waiting period, CARCHEX covers authorized vehicle repairs made at licensed service facilities. You can use its mobile app or website to find a vehicle repair facility near you.

All of CARCHEX’s plans are transferable, and coverage is available in California, which isn't true of many warranty providers. However, not every warranty is renewable.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include:

• Towing
    • Vehicle lockout services
    • Rental car coverage
    • Roadside assistance
    • Emergency fuel delivery

You can also opt for emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty won’t cover everything, though. Modified or aftermarket components aren’t covered, including lift kits or trailer hitches. CARCHEX also doesn’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes or consumable parts like tires, wiper blades and spark plugs. Check your vehicle service contract for details.

CARCHEX FAQ

What does CARCHEX cover?
    CARCHEX offers five levels of coverage, with 16 plans available through its various providers. These plans range from bumper-to-bumper to powertrain coverage.
    • The Titanium tier provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
    • Platinum plans offer CARCHEX’s highest level of stated-component coverage.
    • Gold-tier warranties provide comprehensive coverage, including major vehicle components.
    • Silver programs offer essential coverage for major vehicle systems.
    • Bronze contracts are CARCHEX’s lowest level of coverage, often covering the vehicle’s powertrain.
    Is CARCHEX legitimate?
    Yes, CARCHEX is a legitimate company that partners with multiple warranty providers and is registered with reputable third-party organizations.
    Where is CARCHEX available?
    CARCHEX is available in all 50 states. Check the company’s website to make sure there’s an authorized repair facility near you.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it if you’re considering an extended auto warranty. Its coverage and additional benefits, like roadside assistance and fuel delivery, can provide peace of mind and save you money. Plus, its app makes it easy to find a licensed repair facility.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Carchex can make it a bit easier to get quotes without having to talk to a person. When you go to their website, it tells you to put in your information for an instant quote, and that's a lie. It just takes your information and then sales guys start calling you. If it says I can buy online and I can get a quote online, how do they know I'm not sitting at work and I don't want someone calling me at that moment? Maybe I'm in a meeting and I'm just playing on the internet and I don't want them to know it. Maybe I'm an educated person who can read the benefits and I just want to buy it without having to go through that call where they read to me what I already know.

What the website really is saying is get a phone call right now. Carchex needs to be clear about that in their marketing. The first time I did it, they called me and I told them I wasn't interested. Three weeks went by and I thought, “Man, my warranty’s expiring so I’m gonna have to suck it up.” Apart from that, the reps were great and the benefits of the plan are very similar with SilverRock. However, SilverRock was 50% less expensive and I had only a $50 deductible. I saved a lot more money with it, but sadly, it expired.

Also, with the initial stuff I got online from Carchex, I had a 30-day and 500-mile waiting period from the day that I got the warranty. They sent me the book in the mail and it said 30 days and 1,000 miles. They tried to change it up on me, and it's a small difference normally, but during COVID, that's a big difference. I had to call them and they fixed it, which is why I stayed with them. I didn’t like that very much though, because the average consumer is not going to read that big book and realize that it said something different than what they were told and what their initial email said.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I Google and read some B2B and the two names that kept coming up were Carchex and Endurance. I went with Endurance to start with but the guy there was terrible. I have a hearing disability and he was not willing to accommodate that. I told him to go pound sand. The next day, Carchex called. I spoke with a rep and it was to respond to the sheet I had filled out the night before. She was awesome. She immediately made me feel I was important and what I wanted was important even though she wasn't pushing herself.

She connected me to another rep and he did a great job hearing my dilemma and why I didn't buy a warranty from the dealer. He talked through things and told me what he had. I could have been more curious but I wasn't because he satisfied what it was that I wanted to know. I mentioned to him my story with Endurance and about how I'm a disabled veteran. He said they had stuff for veterans and I got an $800 discount for being one, which was awesome. The thing I liked about Endurance was it’s an entirely self-enclosed organization where Carchex is outsourcing and they are the handler. But I didn't see the cost saving to Endurance’s approach. It's about on par. Theirs was 4,700 and Carchex was 4,800. Cheaper for me would be by 10%.

The only thing is I would like more details available online so folks who are in my position don't have to sit on the phone and listen when that's not always advantageous. Carchex could also provide a link to the different plans. Consumers end up getting forced into a specific plan that's most advantageous to the vendor and not to the consumers. Companies come with a plan that they think would fit a consumer. But I want something that reasonably ties to what I have. Here's my pay and here's what my budget is. On the Carchex side, that wasn't bad. But it would be nice to self-service the whole thing like I do an insurance policy with USAA. I log into the system and it gives me all my options there. I'm fully aware of everything. At the end of it, you do this closure where you agree to these things and you put your signature.

Original review: May 14, 2021

There's nothing wrong with the vehicle right now but it's gonna break and I want to be covered. But nobody will do that because I'm high mileage. It's like having a preexisting disorder or disease and then trying to get health insurance. Nobody wants to do it. If they do, you're going to pay through the nose. Carchex was a little more pricey but it was not crazy. It was what I would expect to pay for coverage. Nothing is free and I have a high mileage vehicle so you got to give a little to get a little. I was impressed.

The guy who set up my account answered all my questions and I had a million of them. I wanted to go month-to-month but nobody was offering it. Chris walked me through all of that and he would dig things out of the fine print to pull forward from the Zurich website that wasn't listed on the CARCHEX website. He showed me the people with older policy and what they were going to do for me and how much it was going to cost me to get it started. He showed me that there was a 30-day, 1,000-mile grace period prior to it going into coverage. He made me understand everything, which was why I went with CARCHEX. He made me comfortable and made me feel like they were not going to try and rip my head off. So, the representatives did their jobs well as opposed to trying to sell the product.

The experience with Carchex was good and it went down like a whirlwind. I changed my mind and they credited me back. I got a full refund because I jumped off prior to going into coverage. I thought that that money was going to be gone but they did exactly what they said they were going to do. Neither one of us knowing how that situation was going to turn out, but we were both prepared for whatever and they wound up going my way instead of CARCHEX way. But they held up their end of the bargain. It worked out and they were great. When I run through this truck, like I did the last truck and get ready for an extended warranty, I'm calling CARCHEX back.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I thought it would just be kind of a prepaid maintenance plan. I did a lot of research into it and found that CARCHEX was recommended on a number of different sites, and the fact that they had what they called a bumper-to-bumper. Because we even found with the other warranty that we had up in Canada on our other car that oil fluids weren't covered if you were doing transmission fix. This one paid more for it, but it covered everything. We had a couple of little things that went wrong that ended up being pricey. They fixed my seat, got to a certain position and it would do whatever. I've had three or four repairs done through them now. They let me take it to where I wanted to, and then the dealership then just called them up and they made the payment directly through to the dealer, and that turned out really well for me.

I would go in for my standard service, so normal maintenance and repairs is not covered, so standard oil. Transmission oil was the big one for me because it cost me almost $400 for other things underneath my old policy, because they didn't cover fluids and/or the gaskets. There was a problem with the transmission, they fixed the transmission, but the seals and the oil weren't covered. When I went to the CARCHEX one, I found that they had one that was complete. That was great. But normal wear and tear maintenance, batteries, wire, tires, whatever, that's normal. But if they find something that's significant on that vehicle, I would say, "Well, call CARCHEX because that should be covered underneath my warranty." So, they phone CARCHEX, they get it all, and I might have to leave my vehicle there for a couple of days for them to get that straightened away, but that's just a normal process through this.

It was identified in there that if CARCHEX thinks that the garage is trying to take them, they have inspectors to go out and check on that, or at least phone them up and say, "Hey, send me pictures," and stuff like that that the dealership has to do. They look after themselves as well as me, and make sure that it is something that is really an item that should be covered under warranty and/or should be fixed. And that the value is there.

I just signed in for another four years. The car is one that we hope to have for a long time. We had my daughter's X3 in the city here, and both dealerships, by the time they were done, they had all this work would be about $6,000 or $7,000 and not worth fixing. Took it to a buddy, we ended up getting it down to 3,200 bucks. I know the priceyness of some of these repairs, especially if you got a valve cover gasket that is leaking. To do valve cover gaskets are $1,500 on a BMW. You just shake your head at it. If I could get that covered under this warranty, it's peace of mind more than anything else. And knowing I've got a standard warranty for four more years and a bumper-to-bumper other than normal maintenance, I was happy with that.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I filled out the quoting information from two different companies. And then, it’s a very generic application so I got calls from five different companies, and I ended up going with CARCHEX. They were the first ones to call me, and Bill was so informative. Any questions I had, he more than gladly answered them. Bill advised me, whenever I get the ID card and if I have any other questions, just call him at his direct extension number. I told him I appreciated his help. The customer service is good. That’s one of the major reasons why I went with CARCHEX. And compared to every other company that I was getting a call from, I felt CARCHEX gave me the better option.

Even though the price was a bit cheaper, it was just the fact of how everything was coming about whenever the car needed service, which was one of my major issues. I was looking for something that I will have to pay some deductible or a certain percentage of, which I didn't mind. If something goes out that is a major issue and it's $3,000, I don't wanna put three grand into it. Other companies were, "Yeah, we'll only cover 50, and then you pay the other 50." I said, “Okay. So, you're telling me even if I'm paying as much as what I'm paying with you guys, I'm still gonna end up coming more out of my pocket whenever the engine blows up or something like that? So, if the engine is three grand, I will have to come up with 1,500, and then you guys cover the 1,500.” They were like, “Yeah. That’s it.” I was like, “I appreciate it, but I'm not going with you.”

Whenever an issue does come up, I'm glad I already have the service covered. Since mine is a bigger car and a newer one, it has more sensors and all this other stuff, and I don't wanna deal with any of that. So, in case something does go wrong with it and I decide to take it to the service, they would probably know the car back and forth, and it's free of mind.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Carchex was a little bit easier to talk to. I wanted the engine and transmission covered and they had a couple of other little things that was in my policy.

Joseph,

We appreciate your review! Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I contacted several providers for vehicle protection. The initial quotes were all about the same coverage/cost. Same too for CARCHEX with one major difference. Before I hung up and went to the next provider, the representative (Tyler) said, "Let me see if there are any promotions." He offered a significant discount compared to the other providers. I signed up. A couple of days later the other providers started contacting me because they have a new hot deal that will save me money. Should have done that the first time.

I ended up getting the top of the line Platinum Plan pretty much because I trusted Tyler. THE REST OF THE STORY... I bought the plan in anticipation of closing a deal on a used vehicle. I lost faith in the dealer and withdrew my offer. It's been 3 days and the dealer has yet to respond. I canceled the protection plan. It took CARCHEX less than 6 hours to respond. When I find the right vehicle, I'm only going to make one call. CARCHEX.

Mark,

Thank you for leaving your feedback with us! We appreciate your review, and are happy to hear you enjoyed speaking with Tyler! We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I had a positive experience with Carchex. They worked with me on the pricing and what I needed exactly. I like having the warranty so far and the only thing I wish is that exactly what was covered and what isn't covered could be a little more detailed. But they explained that to me well on the phone so as long as what they explained is correct, then everything is fine.

Brandon,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! Very glad we could assist. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I had to cancel Carchex because my car's been totaled. And the whole year I had it, when I needed something, it wasn't even covered, which I was unhappy about. It was a knock sensor for my vehicle because I misunderstood when they said I had bumper to bumper coverage. People better investigate other companies and compare.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I cancelled the policy with Carchex and they told me I would receive a money back within 48 hours. I still haven't gotten it and it's been probably three days now. The first guy I talked to at Carchex told me to send a letter in with all the information. He said I couldn’t call in. It sounded a little crazy because everything else was via DocuSign, over the internet. So, I sent the letter in and I gave it about two weeks. I haven't heard anything. So, I called and the rep apologized and said that he didn’t know why I was told that. He said all we had to do was send him an email with all the information and he could process it and be done. He said the guy was notorious for doing that. He just won't do the paperwork.

Telling somebody they have to send something in to the mail now is ridiculous. I don't ever mail anything so I had to go a special trip to the post office to get a stamp and then mail. Everything is electronic now so I was pissed about that. For the rep, all he does is a few clicks of the mouse and send it to the right person. That's the aggravating part and knowing that he's notorious for this, and that's coming from another employee of theirs was an even bigger kicker.

CARCHEX Company Information