Get Pricing

4.2/5 (393 ratings)
Get Pricing

About CARCHEX

CARCHEX helps you purchase and maintain your car by offering various vehicle products, including extended auto warranties. Rather than offering its own plans, CARCHEX works with multiple third-party warranty providers. These vehicle service contracts cover repairs due to mechanical failures or malfunctions but not collisions. Plans also come with additional benefits like roadside assistance and towing.

Pros

• Available in California
    • Partners with charities
    • Accepts high-mileage cars
    • Lower-cost plans available

Cons

• Doesn’t cover exotic vehicles
    • Some contracts aren’t renewable

Bottom Line

Consider CARCHEX if you’re looking for an extended auto warranty, especially if you have a high-mileage vehicle. Although its contracts can be confusing, company representatives can help you understand what you're signing.

Top CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Verified

The sign up process was really simple and easy. The associate gave me a lot of information and answered all of our questions. ... I had hard questions and if he didn't know the an...

Verified

I spoke to a young lady at CARCHEX. ... She was there to help me and she didn't let anything stop her. She was able to lower the price. The plan sounded like a pretty good deal. I...

CARCHEX warranty cost

The average price of a five-year contract with CARCHEX is about $1,500. Expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. However, costs vary based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The best way to get a better idea of your cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX lets you pay for your extended warranty over a maximum of 24 months. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards, and it has a 30-day, money-back guarantee in case you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage levels that span 16 different warranty plans from different providers.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsIdeal for
    Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7 – 10 yearsComprehensive coverage
    Platinum CoverageStated-component5 – 10 yearsShort-term coverage
    Gold CoverageComprehensive5 – 10 yearsVehicles with over 60,000 miles
    Silver CoverageEssential5 – 10 yearsBasic coverage
    Bronze CoverageMajor systems5 – 6 yearsAffordability

Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that your vehicle’s transmission, drive axle(s) and engine are covered along with the other components that send power to the wheels.

CARCHEX coverage

CARCHEX’s coverage is available for vehicles with with up to 250,000. This coverage kicks in after a waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles, but this is a fairly standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Once you’re past the waiting period, CARCHEX covers authorized vehicle repairs made at licensed service facilities. You can use its mobile app or website to find a vehicle repair facility near you.

All of CARCHEX’s plans are transferable, and coverage is available in California, which isn't true of many warranty providers. However, not every warranty is renewable.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include:

• Towing
    • Vehicle lockout services
    • Rental car coverage
    • Roadside assistance
    • Emergency fuel delivery

You can also opt for emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty won’t cover everything, though. Modified or aftermarket components aren’t covered, including lift kits or trailer hitches. CARCHEX also doesn’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes or consumable parts like tires, wiper blades and spark plugs. Check your vehicle service contract for details.

CARCHEX FAQ

What does CARCHEX cover?
    CARCHEX offers five levels of coverage, with 16 plans available through its various providers. These plans range from bumper-to-bumper to powertrain coverage.
    • The Titanium tier provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
    • Platinum plans offer CARCHEX’s highest level of stated-component coverage.
    • Gold-tier warranties provide comprehensive coverage, including major vehicle components.
    • Silver programs offer essential coverage for major vehicle systems.
    • Bronze contracts are CARCHEX’s lowest level of coverage, often covering the vehicle’s powertrain.
    Is CARCHEX legitimate?
    Yes, CARCHEX is a legitimate company that partners with multiple warranty providers and is registered with reputable third-party organizations.
    Where is CARCHEX available?
    CARCHEX is available in all 50 states. Check the company’s website to make sure there’s an authorized repair facility near you.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it if you’re considering an extended auto warranty. Its coverage and additional benefits, like roadside assistance and fuel delivery, can provide peace of mind and save you money. Plus, its app makes it easy to find a licensed repair facility.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I thought it would just be kind of a prepaid maintenance plan. I did a lot of research into it and found that CARCHEX was recommended on a number of different sites, and the fact that they had what they called a bumper-to-bumper. Because we even found with the other warranty that we had up in Canada on our other car that oil fluids weren't covered if you were doing transmission fix. This one paid more for it, but it covered everything. We had a couple of little things that went wrong that ended up being pricey. They fixed my seat, got to a certain position and it would do whatever. I've had three or four repairs done through them now. They let me take it to where I wanted to, and then the dealership then just called them up and they made the payment directly through to the dealer, and that turned out really well for me.

I would go in for my standard service, so normal maintenance and repairs is not covered, so standard oil. Transmission oil was the big one for me because it cost me almost $400 for other things underneath my old policy, because they didn't cover fluids and/or the gaskets. There was a problem with the transmission, they fixed the transmission, but the seals and the oil weren't covered. When I went to the CARCHEX one, I found that they had one that was complete. That was great. But normal wear and tear maintenance, batteries, wire, tires, whatever, that's normal. But if they find something that's significant on that vehicle, I would say, "Well, call CARCHEX because that should be covered underneath my warranty." So, they phone CARCHEX, they get it all, and I might have to leave my vehicle there for a couple of days for them to get that straightened away, but that's just a normal process through this.

It was identified in there that if CARCHEX thinks that the garage is trying to take them, they have inspectors to go out and check on that, or at least phone them up and say, "Hey, send me pictures," and stuff like that that the dealership has to do. They look after themselves as well as me, and make sure that it is something that is really an item that should be covered under warranty and/or should be fixed. And that the value is there.

I just signed in for another four years. The car is one that we hope to have for a long time. We had my daughter's X3 in the city here, and both dealerships, by the time they were done, they had all this work would be about $6,000 or $7,000 and not worth fixing. Took it to a buddy, we ended up getting it down to 3,200 bucks. I know the priceyness of some of these repairs, especially if you got a valve cover gasket that is leaking. To do valve cover gaskets are $1,500 on a BMW. You just shake your head at it. If I could get that covered under this warranty, it's peace of mind more than anything else. And knowing I've got a standard warranty for four more years and a bumper-to-bumper other than normal maintenance, I was happy with that.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I filled out the quoting information from two different companies. And then, it’s a very generic application so I got calls from five different companies, and I ended up going with CARCHEX. They were the first ones to call me, and Bill was so informative. Any questions I had, he more than gladly answered them. Bill advised me, whenever I get the ID card and if I have any other questions, just call him at his direct extension number. I told him I appreciated his help. The customer service is good. That’s one of the major reasons why I went with CARCHEX. And compared to every other company that I was getting a call from, I felt CARCHEX gave me the better option.

Even though the price was a bit cheaper, it was just the fact of how everything was coming about whenever the car needed service, which was one of my major issues. I was looking for something that I will have to pay some deductible or a certain percentage of, which I didn't mind. If something goes out that is a major issue and it's $3,000, I don't wanna put three grand into it. Other companies were, "Yeah, we'll only cover 50, and then you pay the other 50." I said, “Okay. So, you're telling me even if I'm paying as much as what I'm paying with you guys, I'm still gonna end up coming more out of my pocket whenever the engine blows up or something like that? So, if the engine is three grand, I will have to come up with 1,500, and then you guys cover the 1,500.” They were like, “Yeah. That’s it.” I was like, “I appreciate it, but I'm not going with you.”

Whenever an issue does come up, I'm glad I already have the service covered. Since mine is a bigger car and a newer one, it has more sensors and all this other stuff, and I don't wanna deal with any of that. So, in case something does go wrong with it and I decide to take it to the service, they would probably know the car back and forth, and it's free of mind.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I usually buy new vehicles because I like to have a warranty on the vehicle. We're now trying to do a Dave Ramsey program and we are trying to pay for things without financing so I was looking into getting a used car. I had seen CARCHEX on the Carfax website so I called and I talked to a gentleman. He was so helpful and explained to me the ins and outs. He was honest about the pros and the cons.

But I did not end up buying the car that I was going to look at and I told the guy that we were still searching. He was so nice and told me that he would check back in on me. He called me back and asked if I had found a car. I still haven't yet. I wanted a convertible bug. It's a 2013 with 49,000 miles on it. The guy called again and by then, I told him we were getting the car that day and if he were to call me in the afternoon, we would talk. I told him my needs and my wants. He was going through it and he said 30,000 miles would come first. I couldn't do that because I put 30,000 miles on my car in a year. That was not going to be a three-year warranty for me. That was gonna be a one-year warranty.

But the guy was so thorough and was one of the best as far as dealing with anybody on the phone. He explained the differences like “I’m gonna put you on this. Your deductible will go down, but you're gonna lose some of your coverage. We’re going with a longer warranty.” In the end, I got the 100,000-mile three-year warranty. My car is covered until 150,000 miles and I couldn't believe it.

I checked with the Better Business Bureau and CARCHEX has an A rating with them. I checked out some of the reviews and what people were saying about them. I had seen that the CARCHEX is rated number one right now as far as car warranties. I felt very confident in my purchase. I also asked the guy if we could get the service cheaper if we were to pay all at once. We saved about $800.

I was not with my husband when I was making these decisions and I told the guy that. He said he would make it easier for me. He said he would put me down where I would only get charged as if I paid the policy in one payment. But they would set it up on six payments at 444, which was fine. Now, I have this nice car with a 100,000-mile warranty on it and it's paid for.

I was very satisfied with the customer service and with what I hope to get as the product. My mechanic told me that car warranties are great but sometimes they would screw you. They would send somebody out and would want the mechanic to tear the motor down completely. They would then say, "Well you didn't change the oil like you were supposed to. This is neglect." The motor's on the floor but the warranty company would not pay for it. I realize that there are things that may come along with the warranty but if I get what I was told for the cost that I was told, I will be extremely satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I bought a BMW with high mileage on it. I was trying to figure out who would be the best to go with for coverage, and CARCHEX was the first that popped up. They had an A-plus with the Better Business Bureau as well. It was a little bit rocky at first. I was trying to see what pricing was and things of that nature. The next in pricing or next to somewhere reputable was CarShield. I went back and forth with them. CarShield was offering me a warranty of 1,000 off cheaper, but I had to look at the reviews, the Better Business Bureau rating. I went back to CARCHEX ‘cause they have a price match guarantee. When I explained to them things from my point of view, they worked with me. They didn't match the price, but they knocked $400 off the price of my warranty. They’re a company and they wanna get as much as they want. If customers wanna negotiate services, they'll negotiate so that's one good thing.

The protection specialist was a good guy. I asked a lot of questions like what doesn't the warranty cover. He explained to me everything that wasn't covered, so that way, I could make sure I got the right plan that was appropriate for what I was trying to do. He answered any questions, gave me his number, and sent out information the same day. He was very helpful. The thing that dragged customer service down for me, and it was partially my fault, was I called later in the day. A lot of times, I don't get off work before 5:00 or 6:00 so I called around the time it was five and a half hours before they closed and they bounced me around so much. They hung up on me twice. I’m attributing that to people who were leaving early, and they had a lack of representatives to handle calls, ‘cause the next day when I called back, there wasn't any of that stuff going on.

Having this warranty is very valuable to me. I have a couple of friends that had this car and they’ve told me that when getting a small repair, it gets very costly. A repair could be $1,200 to $1,500 for just a basic one. So, to pay for $2,500 for a warranty that’ll last five years is pretty good. Just knowing that when I’m riding down the road, if anything happens, I can choose the warranty shop of my choice and I don't have to wait till something breaks completely down. If I notice any noise or anything that’s abnormal, I can take it in and CARCHEX will cover it. They're a great company and they’re customer service-oriented. I had a bad experience, but it was quickly rectified. As long as their customer service is good, they'll be around for a little while.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I researched the internet on different places and sent messages out here in their email. CARCHEX was the third person to contact me that didn’t seem like they were playing any games at the time. It seemed like they really want to get something going. Everybody else were leaving messages and calling me at work. CARCHEX was the only ones that worked with me on that.

When they called, I was listening what they said and they said something different from what I’ve already researched. The rep told me a little bit about the program and what’s going on with it. What he said was right from what he told me about and from my past experiences dealing with matters like this. They got a plan. He took my information and then he came back with an email the next day saying, “Hey. We’ve got this plan. Have you reviewed it?” I haven’t even had a chance to review it yet. But I reviewed it online what those different plans were so I had an idea. The rep said it would be X amount of dollars per month and that was it. It sounded like a good plan to me.

The only thing I don’t like about dealing with any type of extended warranty type plan is that there’s a certain criteria you have to follow. For instance, you have to get the vehicle checked out, keep all the records for it. But there’s still a little leeway there that they could wiggle out of it and not pay you and I’ve heard these disasters in the past. I just got my pamphlet in the mail and I read over a little bit of it. But I haven’t gone through all the legalities of what they’re talking about. The plan could be a little cheaper. But having a bumper-to-bumper type coverage is one of the most important things you can have, especially for a used vehicle.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Claim process is outsourced to Royal Administrator Services which has a different version of contract than what is sold to the customer. For e.g diagnostic charges are not paid for or the claim team does not want to pay the part manufacturer price.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Purchased extended warranties for a 2011 BMW 328i and a 2014 Mercedes E350. Both agents suggested me to check the BBB Rating of my original choice and the rating was a C+. That in itself made me decide to cancel my previous two warranties and switch to CARCHEX.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I liked how the sales agent explained how CarChex works. He helped give me peace of mind for the next 5 years. The company seems to have a good reputation. I hope that going forward I never need this service. But, if I do, I also hope that CarChex lives up to its commitment.

Original review: April 29, 2021

We are a 2011 Honda Pilot. At the time we contracted our car had 77k+ miles. Very nice condition and well maintained. This contract is less than a year old at present and truly we hope not to use this insurance for car repairs. Upon signing up the contract says that we must wait 30 days and or drive 1000 miles before the contract becomes valid- understandable. This agreement is valid for 100,000 miles only at a payment of $91,00 per month. We did have an electrical issue and took the car into our local Honda dealer. They identified the issue -- the part to fix at dealer $550.00 approx. And add the labor $1215.00 dollars. It took this company 7 days to resolve the issue having asked for price of parts and labor at the dealerships.

Auto zone, O'Reilly's all the others could parts drive this needed unit to the dealer and they could do the work in like 4 hours...The part was priced at between $165.00 and OEM part like $310.00 approx. I guess a dealership will allow the client to purchase the part and voila!!! They will install. Less time and less rental payment. Plus the policy does not include a rental so this is at the expense of the policy holder (me) from the dealer at a cost of $300.00. The dealer service agent had to call 7/8 times to never get the same warranty agent on the other line nor did he get an authorization for the same period.

Original review: April 26, 2021

The warranty I thought I was getting, is not what I got. I feel like I am just wasting my money at this point, and would rather just end the warranty. I called you guys multiple times and left messages, to not get response back. You would love a call back.

CARCHEX Company Information