4.0/5 (340 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About CARCHEX

CARCHEX helps you purchase and maintain your car by offering various vehicle products, including extended auto warranties. Rather than offering its own plans, CARCHEX works with multiple third-party warranty providers. These vehicle service contracts cover repairs due to mechanical failures or malfunctions but not collisions. Plans also come with additional benefits like roadside assistance and towing.

Pros

• Available in California
    • Partners with charities
    • Accepts high-mileage cars
    • Lower-cost plans available

Cons

• Doesn’t cover exotic vehicles
    • Some contracts aren’t renewable

Bottom Line

Consider CARCHEX if you’re looking for an extended auto warranty, especially if you have a high-mileage vehicle. Although its contracts can be confusing, company representatives can help you understand what you're signing.

Top CARCHEX Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Verified

The sign up process was really simple and easy. The associate gave me a lot of information and answered all of our questions. ... I had hard questions and if he didn't know the an...

Verified

I spoke to a young lady at CARCHEX. ... She was there to help me and she didn't let anything stop her. She was able to lower the price. The plan sounded like a pretty good deal. I...

CARCHEX warranty cost

The average price of a five-year contract with CARCHEX is about $1,500. Expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. However, costs vary based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The best way to get a better idea of your cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX lets you pay for your extended warranty over a maximum of 24 months. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards, and it has a 30-day, money-back guarantee in case you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage levels that span 16 different warranty plans from different providers.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsIdeal for
    Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7 – 10 yearsComprehensive coverage
    Platinum CoverageStated-component5 – 10 yearsShort-term coverage
    Gold CoverageComprehensive5 – 10 yearsVehicles with over 60,000 miles
    Silver CoverageEssential5 – 10 yearsBasic coverage
    Bronze CoverageMajor systems5 – 6 yearsAffordability

Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that your vehicle’s transmission, drive axle(s) and engine are covered along with the other components that send power to the wheels.

CARCHEX coverage

CARCHEX’s coverage is available for vehicles with up to 250,000 miles. This coverage kicks in after a waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles, but this is a fairly standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Once you’re past the waiting period, CARCHEX covers authorized vehicle repairs made at licensed service facilities. You can use its mobile app or website to find a vehicle repair facility near you.

All of CARCHEX’s plans are transferable, and coverage is available in California, which isn't true of many warranty providers. However, not every warranty is renewable.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include:

• Towing
    • Vehicle lockout services
    • Rental car coverage
    • Roadside assistance
    • Emergency fuel delivery

You can also opt for emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty won’t cover everything, though. Modified or aftermarket components aren’t covered, including lift kits or trailer hitches. CARCHEX also doesn’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes or consumable parts like tires, wiper blades and spark plugs. Check your vehicle service contract for details.

CARCHEX FAQ

What does CARCHEX cover?
    CARCHEX offers five levels of coverage, with 16 plans available through its various providers. These plans range from bumper-to-bumper to powertrain coverage.
    • The Titanium tier provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
    • Platinum plans offer CARCHEX’s highest level of stated-component coverage.
    • Gold-tier warranties provide comprehensive coverage, including major vehicle components.
    • Silver programs offer essential coverage for major vehicle systems.
    • Bronze contracts are CARCHEX’s lowest level of coverage, often covering the vehicle’s powertrain.
    Is CARCHEX legitimate?
    Yes, CARCHEX is a legitimate company that partners with multiple warranty providers and is registered with reputable third-party organizations.
    Where is CARCHEX available?
    CARCHEX is available in all 50 states. Check the company’s website to make sure there’s an authorized repair facility near you.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it if you’re considering an extended auto warranty. Its coverage and additional benefits, like roadside assistance and fuel delivery, can provide peace of mind and save you money. Plus, its app makes it easy to find a licensed repair facility.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I Google and read some B2B and the two names that kept coming up were Carchex and Endurance. I went with Endurance to start with but the guy there was terrible. I have a hearing disability and he was not willing to accommodate that. I told him to go pound sand. The next day, Carchex called. I spoke with a rep and it was to respond to the sheet I had filled out the night before. She was awesome. She immediately made me feel I was important and what I wanted was important even though she wasn't pushing herself.

She connected me to another rep and he did a great job hearing my dilemma and why I didn't buy a warranty from the dealer. He talked through things and told me what he had. I could have been more curious but I wasn't because he satisfied what it was that I wanted to know. I mentioned to him my story with Endurance and about how I'm a disabled veteran. He said they had stuff for veterans and I got an $800 discount for being one, which was awesome. The thing I liked about Endurance was it’s an entirely self-enclosed organization where Carchex is outsourcing and they are the handler. But I didn't see the cost saving to Endurance’s approach. It's about on par. Theirs was 4,700 and Carchex was 4,800. Cheaper for me would be by 10%.

The only thing is I would like more details available online so folks who are in my position don't have to sit on the phone and listen when that's not always advantageous. Carchex could also provide a link to the different plans. Consumers end up getting forced into a specific plan that's most advantageous to the vendor and not to the consumers. Companies come with a plan that they think would fit a consumer. But I want something that reasonably ties to what I have. Here's my pay and here's what my budget is. On the Carchex side, that wasn't bad. But it would be nice to self-service the whole thing like I do an insurance policy with USAA. I log into the system and it gives me all my options there. I'm fully aware of everything. At the end of it, you do this closure where you agree to these things and you put your signature.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2021

There's nothing wrong with the vehicle right now but it's gonna break and I want to be covered. But nobody will do that because I'm high mileage. It's like having a preexisting disorder or disease and then trying to get health insurance. Nobody wants to do it. If they do, you're going to pay through the nose. Carchex was a little more pricey but it was not crazy. It was what I would expect to pay for coverage. Nothing is free and I have a high mileage vehicle so you got to give a little to get a little. I was impressed.

The guy who set up my account answered all my questions and I had a million of them. I wanted to go month-to-month but nobody was offering it. Chris walked me through all of that and he would dig things out of the fine print to pull forward from the Zurich website that wasn't listed on the CARCHEX website. He showed me the people with older policy and what they were going to do for me and how much it was going to cost me to get it started. He showed me that there was a 30-day, 1,000-mile grace period prior to it going into coverage. He made me understand everything, which was why I went with CARCHEX. He made me comfortable and made me feel like they were not going to try and rip my head off. So, the representatives did their jobs well as opposed to trying to sell the product.

The experience with Carchex was good and it went down like a whirlwind. I changed my mind and they credited me back. I got a full refund because I jumped off prior to going into coverage. I thought that that money was going to be gone but they did exactly what they said they were going to do. Neither one of us knowing how that situation was going to turn out, but we were both prepared for whatever and they wound up going my way instead of CARCHEX way. But they held up their end of the bargain. It worked out and they were great. When I run through this truck, like I did the last truck and get ready for an extended warranty, I'm calling CARCHEX back.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I thought it would just be kind of a prepaid maintenance plan. I did a lot of research into it and found that CARCHEX was recommended on a number of different sites, and the fact that they had what they called a bumper-to-bumper. Because we even found with the other warranty that we had up in Canada on our other car that oil fluids weren't covered if you were doing transmission fix. This one paid more for it, but it covered everything. We had a couple of little things that went wrong that ended up being pricey. They fixed my seat, got to a certain position and it would do whatever. I've had three or four repairs done through them now. They let me take it to where I wanted to, and then the dealership then just called them up and they made the payment directly through to the dealer, and that turned out really well for me.

I would go in for my standard service, so normal maintenance and repairs is not covered, so standard oil. Transmission oil was the big one for me because it cost me almost $400 for other things underneath my old policy, because they didn't cover fluids and/or the gaskets. There was a problem with the transmission, they fixed the transmission, but the seals and the oil weren't covered. When I went to the CARCHEX one, I found that they had one that was complete. That was great. But normal wear and tear maintenance, batteries, wire, tires, whatever, that's normal. But if they find something that's significant on that vehicle, I would say, "Well, call CARCHEX because that should be covered underneath my warranty." So, they phone CARCHEX, they get it all, and I might have to leave my vehicle there for a couple of days for them to get that straightened away, but that's just a normal process through this.

It was identified in there that if CARCHEX thinks that the garage is trying to take them, they have inspectors to go out and check on that, or at least phone them up and say, "Hey, send me pictures," and stuff like that that the dealership has to do. They look after themselves as well as me, and make sure that it is something that is really an item that should be covered under warranty and/or should be fixed. And that the value is there.

I just signed in for another four years. The car is one that we hope to have for a long time. We had my daughter's X3 in the city here, and both dealerships, by the time they were done, they had all this work would be about $6,000 or $7,000 and not worth fixing. Took it to a buddy, we ended up getting it down to 3,200 bucks. I know the priceyness of some of these repairs, especially if you got a valve cover gasket that is leaking. To do valve cover gaskets are $1,500 on a BMW. You just shake your head at it. If I could get that covered under this warranty, it's peace of mind more than anything else. And knowing I've got a standard warranty for four more years and a bumper-to-bumper other than normal maintenance, I was happy with that.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I usually buy new vehicles because I like to have a warranty on the vehicle. We're now trying to do a Dave Ramsey program and we are trying to pay for things without financing so I was looking into getting a used car. I had seen CARCHEX on the Carfax website so I called and I talked to a gentleman. He was so helpful and explained to me the ins and outs. He was honest about the pros and the cons.

But I did not end up buying the car that I was going to look at and I told the guy that we were still searching. He was so nice and told me that he would check back in on me. He called me back and asked if I had found a car. I still haven't yet. I wanted a convertible bug. It's a 2013 with 49,000 miles on it. The guy called again and by then, I told him we were getting the car that day and if he were to call me in the afternoon, we would talk. I told him my needs and my wants. He was going through it and he said 30,000 miles would come first. I couldn't do that because I put 30,000 miles on my car in a year. That was not going to be a three-year warranty for me. That was gonna be a one-year warranty.

But the guy was so thorough and was one of the best as far as dealing with anybody on the phone. He explained the differences like “I’m gonna put you on this. Your deductible will go down, but you're gonna lose some of your coverage. We’re going with a longer warranty.” In the end, I got the 100,000-mile three-year warranty. My car is covered until 150,000 miles and I couldn't believe it.

I checked with the Better Business Bureau and CARCHEX has an A rating with them. I checked out some of the reviews and what people were saying about them. I had seen that the CARCHEX is rated number one right now as far as car warranties. I felt very confident in my purchase. I also asked the guy if we could get the service cheaper if we were to pay all at once. We saved about $800.

I was not with my husband when I was making these decisions and I told the guy that. He said he would make it easier for me. He said he would put me down where I would only get charged as if I paid the policy in one payment. But they would set it up on six payments at 444, which was fine. Now, I have this nice car with a 100,000-mile warranty on it and it's paid for.

I was very satisfied with the customer service and with what I hope to get as the product. My mechanic told me that car warranties are great but sometimes they would screw you. They would send somebody out and would want the mechanic to tear the motor down completely. They would then say, "Well you didn't change the oil like you were supposed to. This is neglect." The motor's on the floor but the warranty company would not pay for it. I realize that there are things that may come along with the warranty but if I get what I was told for the cost that I was told, I will be extremely satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I bought a BMW with high mileage on it. I was trying to figure out who would be the best to go with for coverage, and CARCHEX was the first that popped up. They had an A-plus with the Better Business Bureau as well. It was a little bit rocky at first. I was trying to see what pricing was and things of that nature. The next in pricing or next to somewhere reputable was CarShield. I went back and forth with them. CarShield was offering me a warranty of 1,000 off cheaper, but I had to look at the reviews, the Better Business Bureau rating. I went back to CARCHEX ‘cause they have a price match guarantee. When I explained to them things from my point of view, they worked with me. They didn't match the price, but they knocked $400 off the price of my warranty. They’re a company and they wanna get as much as they want. If customers wanna negotiate services, they'll negotiate so that's one good thing.

The protection specialist was a good guy. I asked a lot of questions like what doesn't the warranty cover. He explained to me everything that wasn't covered, so that way, I could make sure I got the right plan that was appropriate for what I was trying to do. He answered any questions, gave me his number, and sent out information the same day. He was very helpful. The thing that dragged customer service down for me, and it was partially my fault, was I called later in the day. A lot of times, I don't get off work before 5:00 or 6:00 so I called around the time it was five and a half hours before they closed and they bounced me around so much. They hung up on me twice. I’m attributing that to people who were leaving early, and they had a lack of representatives to handle calls, ‘cause the next day when I called back, there wasn't any of that stuff going on.

Having this warranty is very valuable to me. I have a couple of friends that had this car and they’ve told me that when getting a small repair, it gets very costly. A repair could be $1,200 to $1,500 for just a basic one. So, to pay for $2,500 for a warranty that’ll last five years is pretty good. Just knowing that when I’m riding down the road, if anything happens, I can choose the warranty shop of my choice and I don't have to wait till something breaks completely down. If I notice any noise or anything that’s abnormal, I can take it in and CARCHEX will cover it. They're a great company and they’re customer service-oriented. I had a bad experience, but it was quickly rectified. As long as their customer service is good, they'll be around for a little while.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

My car has been stuck in Ford auto repair for almost 4 day due to part pricing differentiate of $10.87 which I have to pay OVER my deductible. This is completed miss and fraud information and as informed warranty of Powertrain plus should cover all expenses after my deductible as mentioned in my contract. Now I have to pay over my deductible even after calling and spending couple of hours on the phone along with warranty department of American Auto Shield which CARCHEX has provided. I have been completely stressed out with this warranty and spent a lot of time dealing with this tension issue and losses where I have to pay just the deductible.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

My experience with them was very good. The rep I worked with was very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

The lady that I talked to was pretty good. It was kind of an unusual circumstance because she called me back while I was in the doctor's office. We talked for quite a while, but then I had to hang up. She called me back again and I was kind of reluctant to close the deal because I didn't like the price. It was a little too high. So then she turned me over to another guy. The gentlemen that I spoke to sounded like a used car salesman. I didn't like his technique that much. But they reduced the price and the warranty was something I was looking for. I got the 18-month payment program.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

The manager that I had a talk with was really nice. He gave me a discount on the first installment. Also, majority of the things were getting covered in the Carchex extended warranty while the other companies were not covering it. I have a hybrid and majority of the times, the things that you want as a hybrid owner are not covered in the other policies, whereas Carchex is focusing mostly on the hybrid systems. I had a really high mileage that was somewhere around 139,000 miles, and majority of the companies don't give extended warranty on the cars that have exceeded 140,000 miles.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I submitted two claims under this program. First claim was denied and the second claim I was told that my car was now over 100,000 miles. This company still continues to draft my account every month even though I'm no longer covered, and submitted cancellation request several times.

CARCHEX Company Information