2.27/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Rascal Scooters

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 31, 2017

86 Rascal Scooters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

When operating the scooter at full speed it suddenly stops on a dime for no reason. It stopped so abruptly that I nearly fell off. Sometimes pressing the reset buttons allows it to go a few feet further. Has anyone had this problem? I am located in central Florida and have been unable to find anyone to repair it. Any suggestions?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

I was a customer of SMK pharmacy in NYC NY. I have two motorized wheelchairs both not working. I go to SMK pharmacy and speak to Janis. I guess she's a manager. She sends out Tony - a wheelchair technician. At first they always seem friendly. He seemed professional. He makes a simple fix on one. Didn't have good tools and made a poor fix on my wheelchair. I went on a appointment and my repair fell apart. I was stranded. I get back to my nursing home. Thanks to helpful New Yorkers. I have a newer wheelchair with motor issues... he was so concern and sorry about his cheap repair.

I always find it strange that he kept all the extra parts. Be aware if a technician keeps all your parts, he's not supposed to. The technician that robbed me Tony from SMK NYC NY, always say, "Oh I have to return these unused new parts and used parts." This is a lie. Your insurance paid for these parts. They purchased these parts. They're yours hello. 1st suspension. Never give a technician a chance to be alone with your chair if you can. If they say they have to go somewhere else you try your best and be around your chair. Anyway back to fix two. He became interested in the new chair. By the way this stupid crook mentions that he was giving a bunch of motorized wheelchairs. So I realize now he going to need a lot of parts for these chairs. My insurance order two new motors. His eye light up. He quickly says we have to order new motors.

I made a mistake and left this crook alone. He didn't repair my chair but made a temporary fix to the old motors. My wheelchair breaks down and I notice none of the bolts to get to the chair are scratch - you know a visible indication that the bolt or screw was removed before. If you have a camera take pictures of your wheelchair where you feel more or less your chair broke down. This is very hard but it helps keep your case strong just in case you have been taken advantage of. He takes my new motors. Be careful what you sign. Have a family member around. Watch the technician's repair skills if you can, this "tech" when he messed up and he had to really work he didn't know what he was doing. He finally got the motor off and the motors were used. It was a new chair but the motors were not brand new.

I have those motors and is proof so when the legal action I'm taking, this is the main proof, what a idiot. You're going to have to leave the old motors. There's a trend my friend of these technician make little repair and having to come back to fix the problem. They actually sabotage your chair sometimes. These tech thieves will even take your new battery and leave the old one and then hope you would not notice These people don't care and try to be smooth talkers like Tony. He has most of the employees thinking he's so innocent, "Oh my god he wouldn't do something like that." Most of these female managers are taken in unfortunately by wannabe smooth talkers. If you see the tech is ordering expensive part, if you can tell it's hard to tell but main parts like motors, main computer parts, and batteries this is another sign they're after them. Just try to get a feel on this person. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it.

It was too late when I realized he was a crooked, god forbid you need a repair from this company. The repairman cannot be trusted and is a fraud. He could not fix not one but two powerchairs, this is a example of what you can expect from this technician. Be careful and keep in mind these are your legs, your way of getting around, ask questions and keep an eye on your repair man. Not all repairmen are crooked but when you're dealing with the elderly and you have bad intentions, they will try to get away from whatever they can. Well any I'm getting my chair repaired from another company and I'm going to be all over this person. You know just in case. Lol. You fool me once shame on you, you fool me twice shame on me. Let Crack down on these crooks. These criminals are out there and they're posing as people who care about your power chair.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

The only problems with this scooter is that the tires are continually punctured. I have had various other scooters and I never had that trouble before. Is it the type of wheels? They seem to puncture at least once a month. I am going to get another scooter, I have had the this rascal scooter for 8 years.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2015

I purchased my Rascal scooter from Rascal about 10 years ago and they assured me that they were the manufacturers of the scooters and they can always fix the scooters. And parts are always available and the Rascal company is only growing and expanding. I do really love my Rascal scooter and it's held up pretty good throughout the years. Now I go to use my scooter only to find it's making a weird loud noise and not moving. So when I take it back to Rascal company to get fixed they are closed down and no longer in business. So now I been calling all around all the local stores and no one fixes them. Finally I found a local company who replaced the motor and had the parts for Rascals in stock and I was able to have my scooter back the next day fixed and working great. If you need your Rascal scooter fixed call Mr. Wheelchair 1 877 577 0100. I was very satisfied with Mr Wheelchair.

Original review: July 20, 2015

Rascal autogo 550 3 months ago from Casterbridge. Charging on the buggy, just blinked Red and Green no charge. Casterbridge this was an American recommendation to stop driving away hooked up. Rascal said "you can charge on board." They stopped making this model 2 yrs ago. Casterbridge said the company was still making them. Chassis number show it's about 9/10 old. Sold onto a company Prestige. Went insolvent 2 yrs ago then to Casterbridge? Told we could only buy the shop floor model c/o new batteries at a discount price we agreed. My wife asked about charging on board answer yes. Companies have said "yes you can charge on board" so we will pursue taking it back for repairs/replacement or refund in full. America scooters in Parks and apartments all charged on board.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rascal Scooters?

Original review: July 2, 2015

I had my scooter for only 5 months and in that time it has tipped me out completely 3 times and tipped me onto a passing car when faced with a pot hole. I find it drives badly and can't cope with turns or small pavements without tipping or doing wheelies up the wall! DANGEROUS! I sent it back and never want to hear someone's head having been crushed under a car! DO NOT GET THIS SCOOTER!!

Original review: June 27, 2015

Back in the late 90's my Mom purchased a Rascal heavy-duty scooter from an independent outfit. The salesman assured her Medicare would pay for it because of her debilitating back issues. That turned out to be untrue, and she ended up paying close to $7000 for it. The cost issue aside, my Mom certainly got her money's worth out of it! She lived on Lake Champlain and had a distance to go up a dirt road every day to get her mail. She used it many times a day to "play" in her gardens, visit her neighbors. I even packed it up in my Subaru many times to bring her to my home in NJ. Even drove it on some trails in our state park there! Added to her independence! She is now gone, but I have just fired up the little Rascal again after breaking my tibia; what a godsend it's been! Have to get new batteries though, I believe they're still the original, wow. So thanks, Mom, I'm smiling recreating those memories again!

Original review: June 4, 2015

I love my scooter despite having to have 3 sets of new tyres. Whilst being out with my grandchildren my scooter just stopped and a error code 8 came on the display. Does anyone know why? I would be most grateful.

Original review: May 13, 2015

I bought a 4 wheel Rascal Scooter in 2002-3 for my late husband. Used it for going to a local fair as lots of walking and due to his health it was impossible. He was happy with it. Since he's passed, been in storage got 2 new batteries last yr. They won't take a charge. It is useless as it sits. Am not able to take care of it. Need help. It was bought thru Electric mobility from New Jersey.

Original review: March 1, 2015

I love mine! Those with battery issues, buy your batteries at a Battery+ or Battery Plus store. That have the best deal for the best quality batteries and a great warranty! Don't use your scooter for five minutes and then recharge it! Drain the battery down before recharge and don't leave it plugged in when not in use. When batteries are fully charged, unplug it! If you don't use it for a few weeks to a month, it should still be full or almost a full charge. Check it periodically with the onboard gauges. Otherwise you will ruin your batteries.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2014

I bought a Rascal Scooter 500 about 7-8 years. About two years ago it started stopping in the middle of a ride. Now it stops more times than before. As a veteran with bad knees and a bad back, I need my scooter to be dependable. Don't think I would recommend this name brand to anyone at this point.

Original review: June 10, 2014

I have had my Rascal Vision for 12 months and in that time, due to no fault of my own, I have had to change my front tires 3 times. That's 3 sets of new tires on the front. My scooter is on the Motability scheme so it's ok for me because I don't have to buy the tires. So if you are thinking about getting the Rascal Vision, be warned. If you buy your scooter for yourself the cost of everything is down to you and the tires you have to buy direct from Rascal, I have been told.

Original review: May 10, 2014

I have had my Rascal 4-wheel scooter 600 for 5 years now. The last 2 years, it has mostly sat in the garage or storage shed as I cannot seem to get anyone to come out to service it or send me batteries that will last for it. I paid the price for getting stuck away from home with it quitting even though charges 4 times. Thank HEAVENS I found someone that passed by me to call my house and my husband came to get me. It has embarrassed me in the store by quitting, also. This just isn't right! It was supposed to give me back freedom. Instead, now it's useless... I cannot trust it, let alone stay charged up enough to get me anywhere. This has made my depression even worse, and taken away my outside joy. I just stare at 4 walls again. I am disgusted and frustrated. My Medicare helped pay for this and I cannot have another one. Good luck getting decent batteries OR any direct care from the company of RASCAL.

Resolution response: July 23, 2015

there was never a complaint by me to resolve

Original review: March 26, 2014

I have two rascal scooters, a 305 and an R6 300. I like them both very much. I have been using them constantly for many years. My 305 is on its 3rd set of batteries each lasting at least 3 years. It's sad that the company went down and that parts are scarce. My 305 needs tires. My R6 300 is 4 years old, on its original batteries and runs like new. I got them both from the VA.

Original review: June 19, 2013

I called Rascal Scooter (AKA Electric Mobility) to obtain parts for several scooters I have. I was informed that the company is no longer making scooters or parts. They are merely liquidating the existing parts that are left in their warehouse.

Original review: June 13, 2013

My mom had a Rascal scooter because she could not walk on her own and used this to get around, especially when she was taken out shopping; otherwise she had a wheelchair. She liked the independence this scooter gave her when she was out. However, the scooter directly caused her DEATH! I would never recommend this unsteady scooter to anyone. My mom had fallen one time when she was driving it in her yard but she fell on grass which was soft. About 3 years ago, she was coming out of a restaurant and the handicap ramp was perpendicular and she turned the scooter to go down the ramp, and it tipped over and she hit her head on the concrete.

She was on Coumadin, a blood thinner. This caused a brain bleed and caused her death 3 days later. I'm upset because I asked my attorney about suing the scooter company for making such an unsteady scooter, which they sell mostly to elderly or disabled people. She referred my complaint to an attorney in Florida (the state my mom lived in) who dealt with this kind of suit. We got a letter back stating that it would not be worth the effort because my mom was too old, no one depended on her income, she didn't have that long to live yet, etc. etc. It really infuriated me.

How can you put a price on someone's life? And the scooter store just continues to make these. I will say the one she had (I don't recall the model) was a 3-wheel scooter, but they still sell them to people who can't walk, or put their foot down fast to stop a fall. Please don't buy one of these for anyone who can't walk on their own. Don't buy one at all. They are literally getting away with MURDER!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2012

I had a Rascal scooter for several years and I used that thing almost to death. It was really beat up looking so I bought another a few months ago. It is a 224 model. I purchased another Rascal because the first one was so good to me. I won't make that mistake again! It's only a few months old and the darn thing just died. My husband, who used to be a mechanic, can't figure out what’s wrong with it. It just stopped working even though the battery has a full charge. I've never had a scooter do that. I need a scooter (that works) because I have a debilitating muscle disorder. What am I supposed to do now? No more damn Rascals for me!

Original review: July 29, 2012

The VA furnished me a 655 Rascal and the axle has broken three times. And each time, it takes at least a month to two months to get it fixed. Your dealer Patrick at 1-503-481-4950 told me you have the parts on backorder and he didn't know when he would get it. Now the VA told Patrick to get me a new Rascal 655 a month ago and Patrick told me they have it on backorder and he will not get it until the middle of August. Why are you having so much trouble getting parts and new scooters out? If I didn't need it, they wouldn't have to order it for me. I suggest the VA use a different brand of scooter if you are going to operate in this manner.

Original review: June 15, 2012

I was told that they were no longer in business and that this new company had bought their contracts and was a cash-only facility and did not deal with insurance and did not replace any broken parts. So now, I am stuck with no way to get around other than my crutches and a broken manual chair which my insurance won't fix or replace because they bought me an electric chair. So with both chairs out of commission, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, and very upset.

Original review: March 28, 2012

I have Rascal 115 scooter that quit working. I called Rascal in February 2012 and was directed to service center Watkins & Riggs in Ocala, FL. I was called a couple days later and was told speed controller was bad and was on backorder. After three weeks, I called service center to find they were still waiting on parts. So I then called Rascal and left message as directed but never got a call back. A month later, I called Rascal again and call got redirected to new owner who in just a few words told me that they just purchased Rascal and any problem before the buyout two weeks ago was not their problem. Again, I called service center who again told me parts are still on backorder. What good is a product that you need but cannot get parts?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2011

I purchased an LML Vespa Scooter NV 4 Stroke, Chassis No.MD722EADSB3094818 & Engine No.E24B3093522 on 29/8/2011 for Rs.50603/- from LML Limited, Kanpur's local dealer - Balaji Motors, Majhola, Moradabad for my daughter Nancy's use going to school. It appears that the company has brought this product on the road without undergoing rigorous testing for road fitness, which is clear from very often troubles. I made a call to the company to take back the unit & refund the amount, but to no avail. Therefore, I would request all the prospective buyers of a scooter not to buy this scooter if they do not want to suffer a similar fate. My daughter had to suffer a lot and her school being in a lonely place, she was prone to be caught by the social miscreants and such events are very often in Moradabad. Ultimately, I had to sell the unit at a financial loss of Rs.15000/- and bought a Hero Honda scooter.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2011

I bought two scooters on 27 Jun 09: a 600F and a 600T. I was told that they were refurbished floor models. I paid $1,999.00 for each one. Five months after purchasing (9 Nov 09), I had to replace the batteries with new set. On 17 May 10, one of the batteries were bad so the tech replaced it with demo battery. On 24 Jun 10, I paid for another set of batteries. On 20 Dec 10, the batteries were bad again so they were replaced under warranty.

On 20 Jun 11, I called for service and was told that they didn't service their scooters anymore and had to use a repair person they recommended. I took the scooter to him (same tech who previously was their repair tech). He told me that the batteries were bad and they would not be replaced under warranty. Obviously, the batteries are not the problem, something is wrong with the scooter causing the batteries to go bad.

I tried putting the batteries from the 600T but that was a bad mistake because the 600F ruined that set of batteries too. Now, both scooters have bad batteries. As it stands now, both scooters' batteries only last for 1/2 hour of intermittent use. I need to buy a set of batteries for the 600T. Is there any way of making Electric Mobility (Rascal) stand behind their product?

Original review: May 30, 2011

Bought Rascal 600 scooter. It worked for about 6 months then just stopped working. Was taken to an authorized repair shop, they didn't know what was wrong & why it stopped. After having it at their shop. Weekly calls on when it would be fixed, was told someone would call. Finally had to stop at shop. They would try to find what was wrong. Repeated calling again, I took it home worked for couple of months, stopped again-took back to same shop for help. Both times had to pay for shop time & was not told what the problem was.

I am 83 years old-diabetic neuropathy both legs and feet. Can't walk. Has caused mental/emotional distress! My lifestyle is limited. Very unhappy with performance! Help. Medicare will not let me get another & I am on limited income. I would like to live the rest of my life enjoying the outdoors and being mobile again! I would like to have this "Lemon" scooter replaced! Can I sue for damages or another option? Please help me!

Original review: March 4, 2011

I just read the comments of JD of Bellingham, WA who wrote regarding his experience as a salesman for electric mobility. Almost everything he stated happened to me as well. I was also a sales rep and loved the job of selling rascal scooters. The gentleman from California who implied comments like JDS are just not true is either in denial or not being very honest. If I would have been treated as an independent sales rep as I was hired, I would still be working there. I was also sent to a blind person and many that already had one ore more scooters. I would love to go with someone from your dept and be part of an interview with Mr. ***. I know that will never happen but I would enjoy seeing how he responded or did not respond to some valid questions regarding his operation.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2010

I was looking at numerous electric mobility scooter, and I chose the "Rascal 600 B". The representative came to my home to show me how the "rascal 600 B" looks and operates. I was told that the Rascal company would file with Medicare all papers that I provided to him at the time of purchasing. He told me that I would be getting 80% of my money back. I had all the correct paper work that he needed to file my claim on 5-27-10. Since then I've been turned down by Medicare, stating that the forms & codes were improperly filed.

I have contacted and informed the Rascal company regarding this matter. I have stage 4 lung cancer and cannot walk short or far distances without the help of this scooter. I have neuropathy of both feet & legs and some in my hands. Using this scooter has improved my living skills in my home and outside, where I could not walk w/o pain. I'm asking that someone check into this claim. If I don't get any compensation for this scooter, fine, but I was told that I would get 80% back. No consequences, I'm using the scooter for self well being. It's just that I was lied to and nothing can take that away. If I'm not going to get some money back, don't tell me such.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2009

Troy talked my mother into buying a scooter when she was bedridden. she was dying from lung cancer, and was not able to get around. she spent 95% of the time in bed. he convinced her it would help her get around. the house is very tiny and it is impossible for this chair to manuver in their home. too cramped. he even went as far as to tell them that should they no longer need it he would buy it back.

i tryed to get him to take it back. he refused. he never lived up to his part of the contract; never demonstrated it, he showed them pictures only. mom never got to ride it. she was only 70# and too ill. we have fought with them from the time of sale even after my mom passed away in 2006, but they say dad is responsible and has to pay it off. They charged my parents $3,277. I think that in itself is outrages. they lived on social security and have no credit. i dont even know how they approved the loan.

Does my dad have any recourse with these people. they have treated him and myself and sister in law who tryed to help as well, horribly. Troy even had the nerve to tell me if I was a better daughter they wouldnt be buying things they cant afford, because i would be watching them better. how horrible is that.

please let me know if you can help my dad. he is 80 and lives on ss. the company takes the payment out of his account automatically each month and will untill paid in full. he cant afford this. it takes away from other bills that he has to pay. he has very little and it goes for his medicine and utilities. He took advantage of my parents and should be made to pay for that. these types of practices should not be allowed to continue. thank you.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2009

I was reading the complaints against this company and I must agree. My mom was contacted by Rascal shortly after my dad had passed away in 2002. A high-pressured salesman came to the house to demonstrate the turnabout. My mom cannot walk so this would be very helpful. He sold my mom on this scooter and said they would get the ok from Medicare before they would actually put the order in. They told me to call them in a couple days and they would make sure they called Medicare first. Well they took the order and turned it in before Medicare ok'd it so Medicare would not have anything to do with it since they did that and Rascal would not cancel the order either. It ended up close to $10,000 which was way too much for this.

It has gone through numerous bateries. We have had the serviceman out a couple times but they do not like to work on these scooters and when they do they act like it is a big deal and charge alot of money. They would prefer we took it somewhere if we could. The first year maybe it ran good after that even when we changed the batteries the scooter did not run fast and it runs out of juice very quickly. I would hate to take it down the street because it would probably stop and we would have to push my mom back which is impossible to do because it won't move once it runs out of power. That was another thing we were told that it could be pushed if needed to be. Now we are still fighting for service, the serviceman won't even call us back. I would not recommend this product to anyone. I am hoping I can get someone to come and check it for my mom so when she gets home from rehabbing at the nursing home she can use it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2009

I was researching assistive devices when I came across complaints against Electric Mobility that sells the Rascal Scooter. One gentlemen defended them on the basis of his experience as a salesman. He is in error on this one. We had nearly the same experience as David who took them to task. In fact, the first time we took it in for repairs, the owner of that company said, "Oh no! The dreaded Rascal"! We had to drive 45 miles for repairs to a certified repair place. Then they were dropped by E.M. They (E.M.) replaced every part and the drive train many times under warranty (rather than just give us a new machine which would have been cheaper). The salesman's claims for the most part were not true (will hold a charge for 17 miles for one).

Original review: April 4, 2009

I just found your site and read complaints from buyers of the Rascal Scooters. My parents, in their 80's at the time, were also scammed by the saleswoman, promising Medicare would reimburse the cost of the Rascal Scooter. I contacted the Rascal Company and the creditor to no avail. I contacted the saleswoman and she claimed she never said any such thing, and that there was nothing she could do for them now. Unfortunately, my father suffered a massive stroke and never even used the thing. I ended up paying off the remainder of the bill, just to relieve some of the stress in the months following my father’s death. It now (2 1/2 years later) sits in my driveway with a For Sale B/O sign. I know we'll never get near the full purchase price. Oh well, live and learn. Do not trust the Rascal sales reps!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2008

I bought a Rascal T-200 quite some time ago. It after about 7 months stopped running. No one here local will work on them. I notified Electric mobility of my problem. And all they are interested in is selling me new batteries. I am not stupid nor did I fall off the turnip wagon yesterday! Batteries are not the problem, a broken wire somewhere is. Being handicapped, I am unable to trace things out for myself. But if I were not handicapped, I would have no use for the scooter! I mainly want the world to know I am very displeased with all this. And I am giving serious thought to putting a blog along these lines on YouTube!

Rascal Scooters Company Information